Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-23-2005, 11:38 AM   #1  

Height: 5'9

Default Disgusted about what I'm left with

Well guys, I've lost just over 100 pounds now. Most of the time the time I love the way I look and am so happy to be thinner. But, then there are those times when I get frustrated and just disgusted with what I'm left with after losing so much weight.
I have so much extra skin on my stomach (upper and lower) that it's not even funny. I bend over when I'm nekked and it all just hangs. My upper arms are full of extra skin as are my upper, inner thighs. I thought that after losing so much weight that I would look better than this. I'm still all jiggly and squishy.
I can no longer shop in the plus size section because the clothes are too big, but when I look for shirts in the Misses departments, they all just cling to my stomach fat. I just don't know what to do. It's so frustrating. I still have the rolls and I don't know how to get rid of them. I can't afford plastic surgery.

I just get so upset sometimes that I cry. Sometimes I look at myself in the mirror and I just feel totally fat. I guess I just need to talk. Thanks guys.
cemetarysiren25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 258/256/160

Height: 5'2"

Testify! And it's so frustrating because after taking control of one's life and losing the weigth and changing lifestyles, you are stuck with excess skin that YOU CAN'T DO A DARN THING ABOUT except for surgery! Ugh!

So I hear you - and you've got my support!!!

AffectionateLY,
LL
Llama with a whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #3  

Great isn't it? Too bad plastic surgery isn't affordable or covered by medical insurance. Actually, it is covered my medical insurance, but ONLY if you have gastric bypass surgery, which I refused to do!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:01 PM   #4  

I love that - learn to live healthy and lose weight, save them the 35k by not having the WLS, and then get screwed in the end for your troubles.

Sounds about right for an insurance company, no?

Affectionately,
LL
Old 08-23-2005, 12:11 PM   #5  

How Bout It!!!!!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 PM   #6  

Although I do understand from others who have lost weight and kept it off, that your body keeps reshaping itself for a year or two after you enter maintenance mode. Especially if you are doing some weightlifting, some of that fat gets exchanged for muscle, the rest of the fat moves to more typical places (hips, anybody?), and some of the skin tightens up.

So, yes, it's no fun to not have the tight firm body of your dreams after all your hard work, but remember that the journey isn't over yet!
oliviacw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 300+/275/150

Height: 5'8"

Smile

You have done so well, I'm sure the health benefits outweigh (pun, sorry) the hanging skin. I have it after having three kids, gaining almost nine stone (126lbs I think) and losing 3 stone (42lbs) so I know how you must be feeling. If you persevere I'm sure something will turn up on the surgery front. Here in the uk it's tough luck, unless you have a brill doc who can refer you & I don't know if they even do arm & thigh lifts on the nhs, which I'll need if I lose all the weight I need to.

regards,

sharon
voodoo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #8  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Okay, this may seem like a longshot, but if you can't afford plastic surgery sometimes surgeons do pro bono cases for people who really need the surgery but can't afford it. I bet there are even charities out there specifically for plastic surgery for people who can't afford it. Or, the other longshot -- reality TV. If you have a really amazing story of weight loss, there may be a reality TV show (or Dr. Phil or Oprah) that will pay for your surgery if you let them televise your story. I know there are far more people who need the surgery than TV shows to air it, but it's something at least.

That totally sucks about your insurance company -- I think you ought to register a complaint with them that they will cover it if you have WLS but not if you lose weight naturally.

But in the end the most important thing is you have done something amazing by losing that much weight!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I have become a firm <pun intended> believer in the new support garments on the market now. They are more lycra/spandex and stretchy then the original gridles, but they hold everything in nicely and smoothly and they are not uncomfortable.

Sarah

Last edited by sarahyu; 08-23-2005 at 02:09 PM.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:35 PM   #10  

I have four pairs of those "suck you and and smooth you out" underwear!! Need to get something for above my waist though, as the undies only take care of the part of my stomach below my waistline!
Old 08-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I have several pair that go from waist to just above my knees. They're great for skirts because I don't worry about a slip and the friction problem <ouch> is taken care of.

I've seen some that are like body suits. I haven't gotten the nerve to try those out yet.

I found this website: I've not tried them, but they seem like the general idea.

http://www.seamlessbody.com/catalog/

Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:10 PM   #12  
Green Tea Goddess

I recently read that Yoga can create a certain muscle tone that can tighten SOME of your excess skin. I'm not sure how true that is but you might like to look into it if it interests you. Yoga is great for the mind and body. I'm incorporating it into my workouts and it's made me more relaxed and flexible. I hope it helps!
Venus In Mourning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #13  

Oh Cemetarysiren, I know EXACTLY where you're coming from. It's like, you do all this hard work, you finally get your life under control, and this is the thanks you get?! It's not fair! But, it's life, nevertheless. So, what do you do now? Well, just try to accept your new body and love it the way it is. I know, easier said than done. But anything short of surgery, what else can you do? I have had an extremely difficult time accepting the damage I've done to my body, and I gotta tell ya, it gets downright depressing at times. But, I did this to myself and now I have to live with it. But, no matter what, living with excess skin is absolutely no comparrison to living with an extra 190 lbs. Having a healthy mind and body, regardless of it's flaws, wins hands down every time. Good luck sweetie, I know this is going to be tough for you, and if you ever wanna talk about it please feel free to PM me, my door is always open.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:36 PM   #14  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

I'm worried about this too, my cousin lost 100 some pounds on atkins but her insurance covers it so i guess its the company, but as a customer srvc person i definately advise you push this issue with your company, excess skin can get infected as far as i have heard and that can endanger your health, plus by losing weight you are saving them money, they should be kissing your feet!!!

The only thing i would advise is some natural body butters to help tone and help your skin and maybe seek the advice of a dermatologist???

I am soo happy and encouraged by everyone here I am so proud of everyone !! you guys are amazing!!!
Safiyah_is_Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 03:48 PM   #15  

Unfortunately, rashes/infections, backpain, etc. aren't always enough to get the insurance companies to pay for it, as I just learned.

I had/have all three, but because the rashes go away if I'm constantly on top of them - prescription cream, goldbond powder, cotton rags when I exercise, clean it at work - lovely really. And I go to PT twice a week.

My Plastic Surgeon said I could try to appeal, but the most they would pay for is a pannectomy - no tightening or anything, just the minimal amount of stomach skin they can remove. And he hasn't had anyone be successful with my insurance.

So I'll deal with the surgery myself and I'll be changing insurance companies come the new year - the only way I can punish them - thank God I have that luxury at least.

Affectionately,
LL