General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #1  
Getting back on track

Height: 5' 9"

Unhappy Bored with my life

I can't seem to get my mind back where it needs to be. I am a mom with 2 children. I have been home with them since the oldest was born, and he is now 8. I did work from home during most of those years as a medical transcriptionist. My youngest child starts kindergarten the end of this week.

My problem is I am so bored all of a sudden. Bored with the same old chores that just have to be done again the next day. Bored with EVERYTHING on T.V. Bored with grocery shopping, cleaning the same old house, weeding the garden that just grows weeds again. I feel like I am being occupied with busy work. I am going to try to find some type of part-time job to do after school starts for the kids. But my mind keeps wandering - I want to learn to play an instrument, travel somewhere I have never been, meet new people to talk to. I have always been so satisfied with the calm, mother/wife role I have had.

So what is wrong with me now?? Has anyone ever felt this way? It has gone on for weeks and I can't shake it.

Anyone?
Old 08-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Oooh learn an instrument!

I'm not a SAHM so I don't really get fed up, but I know what you mean. I feel like it's go to work, come home, go to work, come home on and on and on for ever and ever and ever!

I do go to my kickboxing classes which keep me sane, cos it's something to look forward to twice a week! I've also recently started keeping a big old fantasising "to do" list. Like, I'd like to learn to play a double bass, learn to horse ride, play lacrosse, etc etc. Then if I'm at a loose end like you are now... I pick the next hobby!

Definately do something! Why not find an exercise class that you love then it'll help in both ways!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:21 AM   #3  

I think we all feel like this at some times in our lives. Going for a part time job may help. Do you think it is connected with your youngest going to school? If so, maybe you can volunteer at the school, take in some children for daycare, take an adult education class, help at a senior meal site, or daycare center. Sometimes just getting out of the house can help, start a new walking route, join a fitness center, try an instrument lesson, or join a library book club. Keeping busy with different tasks may help this pass- if not talk to your doctor it may be more serious. Take care!
Old 08-23-2005, 11:22 AM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

I think we all get bored with the same old routine.....I try to find something pleasurable that grabs my interest and focus on it....a new hobby or gardening always seems to help. With kids you need to have something that you can work on in your free time.

If you are bored with the house, there are usually freebie classes offered either through a home improvement store (or an adult ed. course a school)...that might perk you up to re-decorate to re-vamp your surroundings...and it takes time and effort to re-make a room or make a garden.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 176/174/150

Height: 5'4"

I felt the same way but it didn't take as long. I loved staying home with my kids but was totally bored with everyday busy work. When my kids were 2 and 4 I started going to the local branch of a university. I went on Saturday morning, one evening, and two days. I was barely full time. I worked part-time a few hours a week for our parish priest who was very flexible with when I came in to help with my new expenses. Actually he is the one that encouraged me to go back to school. My husband was 100% behind me....that was the key. His motto is happy mom, happy family.

The next year we moved close to main campus & I went there with a degree goal. I got my biology degree in four years worked part-time as food scientist. I went back two years after that for a masters of secondary ed. I started teaching full-time when my kids were in 4th and 6th grade. My oldest (boy) just started college, and my baby (girl) is a high school junior and I am a full time high school science teacher.

Going back to school changed my life. It gave ME something that my family life could not. When I was on campus it was like I was in another world. Just being in that type of environment was so stimulating. I also believe I become a powerful role model for my children. They even came to a class once in while with me individually (snow days). I especially see the impact it has made on my now very independent, social, education-oriented daughter. I do not think our family would be as great as it is today.

Sorry to go on and on.

But that's my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #6  

Just a another tidbit. I walked all the stairs and parked some distance from class which kept me looking hot. No weight issues then.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #7  

Yeah, I think we all probably go through this at one time or another. I know I sure have been recently. Is there anything you're passionate about? You've got a little freedom here since you work from home, so take full advantage of that. I love the idea of going back to school, you go girls! Whatever you do, make is something you love and that will sustain you. Good luck!

Beverly
Old 08-24-2005, 01:27 AM   #8  

I can understand how youre bored....Im only 19 years old and am bored with my life...Im off to college though so that will help. I was bored with my life all through middle school and high school...Ive always felt theres something missing...Id definitely recommend the instrument. I play flute and a bit of piano...I LOVE it...whenever I feel bored, mad, sad, lonely, or even happy I play...its such a great outlet!
Old 08-24-2005, 03:25 PM   #9  
Getting back on track

Thanks for all of your ideas! I was afraid I was going to get bashed by people saying I should be grateful that I have been able to stay home with my kids and just get over it. I AM grateful. I just feel like I haven't thought about anything I personally might like to do over the last 8 years or so, but have only thought of things for my children and husband. Now after all this time, they have a problem with giving me up long enough for me to pursue some of my own interests. It's like I'm just "always there". My husband doesn't even ask before he goes and does his fun outings, he just says, "I'll see you about midnight, I'm going fishin'." And that's that.

I have really been thinking about going back to school. I have a 2 year degree but would love to have at least a bachelor's.

Thanks again,

Lesley
Old 08-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #10  

That sounds great! Keep us updated.
Tammy
Old 08-26-2005, 03:05 PM   #11  

I worked part time in a profession when my kids were young. As they got older, I grew tired of that profession and went back to school....I HAD A BLAST! It really got me excited to learn a totally new subject. Now, I work in an entirely different field and look forward to going to work, rather than dreading it like I had. I'm grateful to have had the support of my husband and kids, too. It wouldn't have been as joyful without that. I discovered that my brain really needs to be regularly exposed to new ideas. I am happiest when I'm learning new things and am easily bored with routine. Even my workouts have to change constantly, because I just get tired of doing the same old thing and my effort decreases when I feel that way. It's just your brain saying it needs some new things to wrap around!!
Have fun with it!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:00 PM   #12  
Getting back on track

Default Thanks Maggie

I think you're right!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:31 PM   #13  
Addicted to potato salad!

Thinner: I kind of feel like you do...only I'm more in a panic that next fall my youngest is going off to kindergarden and I'll be home all by myself!! No more taking showers with my baby in his bouncy seat on the floor taking a nap by me. Not that he does that anymore anyway, but I've just always had him attatched to me in some way. Then when he's gone all day I'll just die!!

So...

I'm going to do what I have to to be a substitute teacher at his school. This way I know I'll be home on snow days and school vacation days or can say no if they call me in and my kids are home sick, and will also have some time off to myself when I'm not needed to pursue my hobbies that I don't get to do with the kids underfoot, but will still feel connected to both kids in some way. and the added cash will maybe help pay the mortgage as well, which will help me to feel less out of control with finances if I'm helping...

Good luck to you!! Keep us posted how you do!!
Old 09-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #14  

Default there is nothing wrong with you

It happens no matter what you do the key is to stretch yourself. Find something that you enjoy and do it. It will give you a new look on life.
if you search within I know you will fine that thing that makes you feel alive
and gives life meaning. We will always have the routine things in life to do
but don't allow that to stand in the way of doing the spectacular.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #15  
Getting back on track

Cool Thanks

That's a pretty cool way to look at things!
Closed Thread