Old 08-22-2005, 08:13 PM   #1  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Arrow Scale-O-Holic!!!

Hi, I'm Stephanie and I'm a scale-o-holic!

I weigh myself every time I go into my bathroom (several times a day). I record my weight daily. I am scared if I only weigh myself once a week (or God forbid once a month), that I will somehow trick mylself into saying I am eating right and everything, but since I am not weighing myself that it will slip by, and I will really gain. I am driving myself crazy though. This is my 3rd week back on track, and during week 1 I ended up heavier by a pound at the end of the week than in the middle. And last week I weighed a pound and a half less in the middle of the week than at the end. So more or less I am at the same weight now, as I hit in the middle of the first week. Sound obsessive? Yeah I know. I feel like I am doing something wrong because I saw 185 during week one, and I saw 185 last week and I am seeing it again this week. I have tried measuring in the past, but I end up obsessively measuring too, literally everyday (who can lose inches in a day, um, no one). I count calories too, so I do know how much I am taking in (I am very conscious of that), and I exercise 6 times a week for at least a half hour (cardio pretty much right now, gonna add the weights later). I know that I could not weigh everyday and still make sure that I am on track, but I feel kind of out of control. I don't know if there is really a question in all of this, but I feel like crap every morning that I have not lost, or if I have gained a pound from the day before, I feel like I am failing I know that weight fluxuates from day to day (hydration and all, period etc), I feel like this is an obsicle in my journey, but I don't know how to overcome it with out feeling like I have lost control.

Sorry this is so long, I just didn't want to sound too crazy, don't know if it worked or not!
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:52 PM   #2  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Stephanie, you do sound like you are a scale addict (at least you know that already :wink You should try just weighing in once a day, then work on just weighing once a week.

You can do it honey! and Good Luck!
spillthebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM   #3  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I have read (lord knows where) that if you really feel you must weigh yourself every day, then you should record your weight on a daily basis (I suggest using the weight as soon as you get up in the morning, after you pee, before breakfast so you know you are "empty"). Then take the daily weights you have recorded and find the average for the week. Since our weight fluctuates daily, this will give you a better idea of your overall progress. Hope this helps!

I weigh myself every day, too (sometimes multiple times a day, if I am home to do so), so I feel your pain. However, I don't use this "average" method only because I attend TOPS metings on Thursday nights, so I just use that as my official weight for each week. I actually find, though, that if I see a higher weight on the scale during the week, it motivates me to stick to plan and be good in order to get the scale to go back down!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:29 AM   #4  
Stephanie

Thanks for the advise girls! I do take and record my morning, after pee, before workout, before breakfast weight (I have a chart, haha). The average thing is a good idea. I have weighed myself this morning, and I am going to try and not weigh myself the rest of the day! We'll see what happens, it's just so automatic!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:22 PM   #5  

The more I weigh myself the better I am at sticking to it. If I go a day or two I will tend to splurge.

My scale is what keeps me committed. If that number goes up I will know it in a matter of hours.

Accountability is key for me. It is what works.

My problem is that I stopped weighing myself, nad I have yet to get back on track. Starting tomorrow I am taking a morning weight.
ChristinaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #6  
Stephanie

Christina- that's exactly how I feel. That morning weigh in keeps me on track for the whole day! I just want to stop the all through the day weighing, but I guess it doesn't hurt anything. Whatever keeps you going right. I think I would drive myself crazy no matter what, at least it's constructive!
Old 08-31-2005, 01:46 PM   #7  
Making It This Time!

We should start a scale-a-holics anonymous group! I am the same way. I weigh just about every time my scale enters my line of sight, even though only the morning weigh-in "counts." The bad part of this is that it only motivates me when I'm losing weight. In the beginning of August, I hit a plateau and it started this downward spiral, and now I'm having to climb back on the wagon. I was still losing fat (I had my BF% measured), but the fact that the number on the scale wasn't moving really frustrated me, even though I knew it was irrational. So I'm really trying to cut down.
BlueAngel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 01:50 PM   #8  

maybe i should weigh my self everyday... i do the once a week thing and it tears me up when the numbers are higher or the same from the week before.. so i have stopped weighing myself all together... it depresses me to know that i am not lossing any wieght
sugarbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 06:06 PM   #9  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

i have a confession!!!!!!!!!! I haven't weighed myself in about a year! how do i know how much i've lost? well i don't for sure, but i factor in pant size and where i'm losing it, etc...so i may not be right on, but i know if i get on and see that i'm higher than i FEEL then i'll be depressed or i may start weighing myself all the time and getting upset at myself...i know when i'm losing weight and that's all i need to know for sure...it's the only thing that keeps me from hating my body
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 08:48 PM   #10  
Stephanie

You gotta do what works for you Ferret! I think that I would feel worse if I never weighed myself, or rarely did. If I see it every day then I don't have to wonder at the end of the week, I kinda already know. If it makes you feel bad though, don't do it at all!!! I wish that I didn't want/have to! I am about one step away from recording it every hour , haha but I am not home every hour, and the people I work and go to school with would probably think that I was a little, well, freaking crazy. Weighing in every morning keeps me on track, but that's just me (and aparantly a few other crazies around here). We should start a scale-o-holic meeting, I don't know if it would be good or just obsessive, but it would be funny!
Old 08-31-2005, 08:59 PM   #11  
Making It This Time!

Any time you get some females together to talk about their weird scale habits, it's hilarious. Here's mine... I swear that my scale says I weigh less when I'm wearing socks. So every time I weigh, I put on socks, even if I'm getting ready to get into the shower and am completely naked otherwise. Never fails. I put on socks, I lose at least half a pound.
BlueAngel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:39 PM   #12  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

OMG LMAO that's awesome...isn't it crazy? guess we all have our ways with the scale...and whatever works i guess...
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:15 PM   #13  
Stephanie

Jennifer, that is so funny, oh my god!!! I may have to try the sock thing myself if it takes a half pound off! I always put my toes in a certain place on the scale and make sure my feet are always in the same place. I guess it's not just that we weigh often, it's how we do it too. I am so glad that I am not alone in this craziness!
Old 08-31-2005, 11:34 PM   #14  
All That's Left of Me

Okay...so, my scale is one of those digital ones...and it is actually really accurate (I can attest to this, as I compared it to the reading on my docs scale). But I am so intricate about my morning (yes, every morning after pee/before breakfast) weigh in...here's what I do:
1. Strip
2. Test the scale's accuracy with a 2 lb. hand weight (as if its gonna change)
3. Step on (in the same spot every time) and hold my breath...making sure not to move.
4. Wait a few seconds and then look at my weight
5. Get off the scale and wait for it to reset to zero
6. Repeat steps 3 through six two more times...just in case

So yep...I'll join the club! I am a proud scale addict!

Socks...lol. I heard a few things are better with sox on *wink wink*

Amanda
amandaholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 11:36 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

If it could help me lose these last few pounds I would wear socks, slippers or even those funky bowling shoes to do it! However, my scale won't take the body fat % reading unless I'm barefoot. Too bad that reading is never consistent anyway...
lizzbabe is offline   Reply With Quote