Old 08-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #1  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

Last edited by SnShn13; 08-19-2005 at 11:38 AM.
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 12:43 AM   #2  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

Sorry to hear you're having a rough time on all fronts right now. I can totally sympathise with you as I too feel like my life is not where it should be and I just turned 29! Being disatisfied with our life is a pretty normal thing, IMO, and once we change our attitude towards it, things start to improve. Usually very slooooooowly though.
My life is getting better since I realised if I want things to improve I have to stop making excuses and just get to work on making my life better. The biggest thing for me was to pin point the parts of my life I was unhappy with and find solutions. So I came up with two things I would like to change in my life.
Problem: My out of shape, obese body. Solution: Exercise and an improved diet. (Working it!)
Problem: I am sick and tired of struggling finacially and I don't really like my current job all that much. Solution: Go back to school and train for a better paying job that I actually like! (Once DH is done with school in Feb 2006, it is my turn! Still have to figure out what exactly I would like to go to school for )

Now, I don't know what kind of income you and your Grandma have, but you may qualify for some kind of assistance to help fund repairs for the house. I know from experience it is embarassing to have to ask for help. But it is there to give you a step up so you can focus on improve your income and won't need help anymore. If you want some more info, PM me and I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction. Nothing else, would your grandma feel more secure taking a shower if there were hand rails, a shower bench so she could sit down and other safety stuff in the shower? Those items are fairly inexpensive but the handrails do need to be installed. The shower seat thing just fits into the tub or shower and can be moved.
I hope this helps! Kinda started to babble there! (((HUGS))) Take care and feel free to vent and b**ch whenever!
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:27 AM   #3  
One pound at a time...

Sarah, I felt like how your feeling now over several times in my life, even when I am turning 35 in October, I am not always sure what direction to take. Things took (what I thought) a bad turn 5 years ago for me, when my mom announced she did not have enough money to support herself and my brother (unpleasant divorce from my dad, but that is another story for another day). So basically I bought a house and my mom and brother moved in with me. Being as independant as I like to think I was (or am) I was angry and depressed that my mom had moved in with me, when I had spent most of my adolescence trying to get out of the house! To top it off, I was turning 30, and I had a list of all the things I wanted to get accomplished by the time I was 30 (you know, marry Harrison Ford, win the lottery) Seriously though, I felt like my life was going backwards instead of moving forward. I was not sure what to do with my career, and I was fat.

But now, 5 years later, I have switched to a better paying job, and have healed the relationship with my mom, so now after all these years, we are now actually friends. My point being (after a very long winded story), is that things will get better, and you will get a better perspective. I think in my mind I had this image of where I wanted to be in certain stages in my life, and when I did not get there, I get depressed and fustrated (and fat). By finally taking control of different aspects of my life, other things began to fall into place. Laura has it bang on, deal with one problem at a time.

Now I am not sure how it works in the States, but in Canada, there are several different assistantance programs for seniors on a fixed income. Some programs will come in and do the housework and errands, other will come and do some maintenance. I am sure there must be programs like that in your area.

Keep your chin up, it will get better!

"Always look on the bright side of life"-Monty Python, Life of Brian
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:02 AM   #4  
.::Princess::.

S/C/G: 308/288/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Thanks!

Hey you two...

Thanks for the support and tips. I don't make enough to fix the things but together my Gram and I make too much to qualify for assistance. My dad and uncles have offered to even pay for a maid to come in to clean the house but she doesn't see a problem with the way things are and she doesn't want anyone in her house. Now that I just typed that it made me realize... These things are her problem. Not to sound cruel about it but 85 with a clear mind means she's with it enough to fix things on her own. I tend to make EVERYONE'S problems my own and think that I can handle them better. That's rude of me... and added stress I don't need. People can help themselves. My only job is to take care of me and if someone asks for help and I can help... to help them. She's not asking for anything... I'm scared I'm becoming like her and not happy unless I'm complaining! Okay, so I am done complaining! Thanks for hearing me out.

Toodles,
SnShn13 is offline   Reply With Quote