Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-17-2005, 01:18 PM   #1  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

Question Side cramps-help!

This is driving me bonkers. I've looked through some threads and couldn't find anything, so my apologies if this has already been covered.

Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid side cramps during cardio??? I don't get them every time and even when I do get them, the cramps aren't always the same intensity. I just can't figure out what I'm doing. I've tried drinking more and less water, I don't eat beforehand, I warm up and stretch...what else is there? I even got pretty bad side cramps during my warmup once! Then last night I ran/walked 2.5 miles and felt totally fine.

I'm curious if anyone knows how to avoid them or even better, how to quickly get rid of them once they start, because trying to work through them doesn't always work.

Thanks for any help!
melra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:28 PM   #2  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I just read a recent article that says to stop and massage the area and breathe deeply until it passes. I've already thrown out the mag so don't recall much more than that. But it explained what caused them and gave that suggestion to stop one when it starts.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:47 PM   #3  
make your time

Smile

almostheaven~ Thanks for your post! I also got a suggestion to google side "stitches" instead of "cramps" and I found a lot more information than I was getting. I think I may need to focus on breathing more deeply and see if that helps.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I got some side stitches this morning while running with some new girls who have a pace a little faster than mine... I slowed down for a minute, breathed and it went away...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I get side cramps when I run and I figured out that mine were caused by eating right before running or drinking a bunch of water beforehand. Once I stopped that I wouldn't get side cramps while exercising
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/210/175

Man I'm glad I found this thread because this happened to me one day last week when I was doing my stationary bike ride, frickin hurt too. I think it's because of what you guys were talking about drinking alot of water right before you work out because I know that old 6 week body makeover I was doing says drink a whole 32 oz of water right before you work out, then take a sip every 5-10 minutes after that during your workout. Now that I just take sips all through the workout without downing a whole glass right before, the pains have stopped.
LesnarsTXF5Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:12 AM   #7  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I get a stitch if I eat right before a workout. To work through it, I just breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:53 PM   #8  

I also get the side pain every time I do cardo. Just thought it was normal. Heh, what do I know?! I just keep going and it passes in a few minutes or so. That's about the time I get my second wind.
Berlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #9  
make your time

thanks everyone for the suggestions on this. During my Fri and Sat run, I really focused on breathing and I was careful about not too much water and that really helped the stitches. I took off my headphones while I was running and my "focused breathing" was sooo loud!