Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Mashed Potatoe Experiment

View Full Version : Mashed Potatoe Experiment

jesyka_maree_87
08-17-2005, 02:37 AM
LOW CARB MASHED POTATOS

Mashed tater's were my weakness until.....

Ingredients:
4 cups cauliflower florets
2 tablespoons fat free butter spray
2 tablespoons fat free half ní half
salt and pepper to taste
you can add some ff sour cream if you want 1 tbs

Directions:
1. Steam cauliflower until soft.
2. Puree cauliflower and mix in remaining ingredients.
3. If desired, sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutrition Information: 35 calories,
0g fat, 0g sat. fat, 0mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate, 3.5g fiber, 2g protein.

ahh that'll do for now

kittie
08-17-2005, 02:49 AM
Wow...I've heard of this before. But does it taste anything like the real thing? Because that is an awesome difference in calories.

jesyka_maree_87
08-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Wellll it's not the exact taste of mashed potatoe, but hey it aint bad at all and just think about all the cal's your saving :)

HamSandwich
08-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Another good way to make mashed potatoes is to use half potatoes and half celery root and cook them in chicken or veggie broth. Potatoes are not inherently evil it's just the way they are prepared. I use Smart Balance and fat free milk in mine, and I also whip mine with a cake mixer. They turn out really smoothe and airy.

jesyka_maree_87
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Oh i do agree, a few potatoe's a week def doesnt hurt!!, they only become unhealthy when people start loading on the dressings, sauce's ,cream's and cheese :dizzy:

Sushi Penguin
08-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Why on earth would anyone eat mashed cauliflower if you can just treat it as white broccoli? ;)

HamSandwich
08-18-2005, 02:16 AM
Oh i do agree, a few potatoe's a week def doesnt hurt!!, they only become unhealthy when people start loading on the dressings, sauce's ,cream's and cheese :dizzy:

Hmm- well I do this on baked potatoes, but I treat it as an entire meal. That and I use ONE SERVING of each thing and use FF and low cal items as much as possible (except cheese- low fat cheese is nasty). It works out about like this:

potato- 100 calories + or - depending on potato size
butter- 30 calories
sour cream- 45 calories
tsp bacon bits- 25 calories
1/4 C cheese- 110 calories
chives- negligible calories

sometimes I add salsa for a little kick for about 20 calories. Even then, I am still under my alloted calories for a meal (I try to keep them around 400 calories and snacks around 100-150). I'm not sure about the cauliflower though- I don't care for it cooked...

Chefmaker
08-20-2005, 03:55 PM
When I make mashed potatoes, I mash them with chicken base dissolved in water instead of milk. I still use a liitle yougurt butter. The chicken base gives it a salty, rich flavor without the fat. When I make gravy I start with a can of fat free broth. I thicken with a little cornstarch and water. I add soy sauce for a rich salty flavor. It darkens the gravy nicely/

Bratty21
08-25-2005, 01:29 PM
I heard about doing califlower for mashed potatoes from a paitent of mine. I'm from ND and my boyfriend is born and raised on protatoes and hates anything healthy for him. So I made half potatoes and half califlower and blended them together to still give it that "potato" taste. He didn't even notice the difference! I highly suggest if you are trying to convert "picky" eaters.