South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default veggie platter suggestions?

I'm bringing a nice big veggie platter to our summer party at work tomorrow. I want to be tad more creative then in the past, I usually just throw out some carrots, celelery, red peppers, and what ever else is on sale with a bowl of dip of some sort in the middle, boring and practical.

I'm wanting to do some decorative things with my vegetables tonight. I've been searching on line, but can't really find what I'm looking for. The cool designs that talented people can make with veggies....

I found one place that has some interesting ideas and I'm looking for more.
http://www.recipezaar.com/31352 Vegetable Party Bouquet
This one has raw vegetable kabobs cut into the shape of flowers with green onion tops to cover the wood kabob.

Any suggestions on what I should be searching or what else I can do with my boring veggies?

Sarah
Old 08-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #2  
Who needs sleep?

I subscribe to Taste of Home, and a reader (I think it was TOH - that or a sister publication) made a veggie platter in a rainbow - it was really pretty! You could do the same, with the dip as a cloud at one end, and carrot coins as a pot of gold at the other.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:05 PM   #3  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I like rainbows

And not just why you think -- food that is appealing to the eye is more appetizing

How about you do 3 kinds of peppers (red/green/orange/yellow), pea pods, olives, Asparagus spears (blanched), zucchini and cucumber (with skins pealed a bit so they are facier?)...
Old 08-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Good suggestions Jenne, I'm also looking for artistic things to do with my boring veggies. Everyone knows I've lost weight, and they all know that I bring the veggie platter to these events. I'm wanting to have people afraid to eat it because it might be part of the table decorations.

I need to stop off and get some sort of interesting dip..thinking about hummus and something traditional-ranch dressing maybe. Or maybe spinach something or other....have to look that up.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:27 PM   #5  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Radish roses? Carrot curls on a toothpick? Cherry tomatoes stuffed with Laughing Cow or cottage cheese? Rounds of cucumber with a carrot flower and a bit of green pepper for the centre?
Old 08-15-2005, 03:36 PM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I always make a low fat dip made from some yogurt, some mayo and low fat sour cream with Lipton's Soup packets in the spring vegetable flavor mixed in, some roasted red pepper hummus and just some balsamic vingar with herbs crushed in it as my trio of dips...
Old 08-15-2005, 05:05 PM   #7  

Height: 5'-2"

Sarah, you know what I do when I want ideas like that... I "Google" them in the "image" section. I'm sure you know what I mean. Go to google.com, hit "images", then punch in vegetable platters. You should get some lovely ideas.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:19 PM   #8  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

This doesn't help you now, but if you need to do this in the future, Pampered Chef has a "Creative Cutters" set. They come in heart shape, flower shape, and star shape, and are good for cheese and veggies.

And I know a GREAT Pampered Chef Consultant if you ever should like to buy the set!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #9  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Thanks for the reminder. I have a set and will dig them out.
Closed Thread