Weight and Resistance Training - LWL #216 Aug 15-21

View Full Version : LWL #216 Aug 15-21

Mel
08-15-2005, 07:14 AM
Good Morning LWL :sunny:

It's a miserable, hot morning here- our air conditioner died in the middle of the night and it's hot as $%!! in the house! Add that to having to call the orthodontist to fix ds's braces, the highschool guidance couselor because he didn't get the courses he'd requested for the fall, and go to work, and today should just be peachy. Did I mention it's supposed to be 96 degrees and humid?

Today is chest and cardio for me between phone calls and clients :p

I've spent the last three weeks working like a dog each week to get back to my "Friday" weight after one day of indulgences on the weekend :( I did it again, and next weekend we have a giant clambake on the calendar. I'm sick of this, tho. I really don't want this to be my maintenance technique!

OK, gotta go,
Mel

ellenuw
08-15-2005, 07:53 AM
Oh, Mel - I really hope this is just "one of those days" and not "one of those weeks". *hugs*

This week should be good for me. I just wish the weather would break - they are talking about rain tomorrow. I tried a NIA class this weekend - did nothing for me. I think I am too structured (nooo, me???) for the freedom the class instills. However, it was a lovely group of women and they all seemed to really enjoy it. I am thinking of trying a spin class later in the week. Just trying to shake things up through the summer dull-drums. :D

I have weights scheduled 3x this week and will try to run 3x during the week and "wait and see" for my long run on Sat. If it is 75 or higher at 5am (like it has been) I am thinking treadmill run rather than ouside run. Unfortunately, gym does not open until 10, so it will still behot, regardless. Still thinking it through, as it is only Monday, I am not too concerned.

DH and I had a great time on our anniversary weekend. Of course, we scheduled more than we actually did, but it was great to get out of our routine and spend some quality time together. It was pretty sad that after a very expensive dinner he turned to me and said "your cooking is better than this". Gee, imagine, an overated restaurant in DC. But I must say I have sampled 4 different gazpachos and 4 different restaurants this weekend - all different and 3 of the 4 were excellent and 1 was "just" good. BTW - I just LOVED dropping wet towels on the bathroom floor and not picking them up! Yesterday I went shopping and found a great outfit for 2 semi-formal occasions we have coming up. Of course, it was hard to buy fall clothes while the temps climbed to over 100, but I perservered.

Welcome to newbies and returnies. I am looking forward to getting to know you all.

2frustrated
08-15-2005, 08:29 AM
Ahaha! Had a good weekend, went out clubbing on Saturday and basically lounged around watching tapes of Ally Macbeal! Fiance was away the weekend, so I got out to play! Managed to go shopping, got some really lovely shoes and about 6 T-shirts! Stocked up on protein powder and I'm giving glucosamine a trial run!

Today, just feeling a little bit sleepy! What can I say? Work, work, home, dinner, weights, bath, bed... Tomorrow work, work... etc! :rofl:

Now I'm a graduate at work rather than just being a lazy student, the days and weeks are merging together like you wouldn't believe! I miss working till midnight and staying in bed till 1pm! :lol: Actually, it's very gratifying getting up early, then still getting up early at the weekend and being up and out before the general population is out of bed!

Looking forward to my weights tonight. Am shifting lots more weight recently, although because of that, I need a spotter on my squats! I can now squat more than I can lift above my head! :doh: I might try front squats in a coupla weeks.

Mel, sounds like you've got it all under control ;)

Ellen, oooh sounds nice to mess up a place you don't have to tidy! :D

Ilene
08-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Hey gang :wave: ... I'm with Mel I MUST straighten my act this week and stop this off for a weekend, on for a week routine :rolleyes: it's just too hard . We went to my nephew's wedding this weekend, and I had wayyyy too much vino. We all slept very badly on Saturday night because the AC in the room sounded like a :censored: truck every half hour when it would turn on. I could feel my DH jump out of his skin every time, actually I think of it now it was quite comical :lol:.... ALSO, you won't believe this, my 17 yr old son wakes ME up in the middled of the night, and complains that HE cant' sleep!!! WTF, I felt like saying ''You want me to rock you or something??'' (but didn't) ... Sunday, needless to say we did nada all day... Everyone, I mean everyone of us, just went to our separate rooms and snoozed on and off all day! I feel good and raring to go this morning though... Here's a nice pic (http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLift/ilenesalbum.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=237) of the 4 of us.... I see you have posted a pic (http://groups.msn.com/3FCLadiesWhoLift/melspics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=236pic) in there too Mel ;) ... I like it :lol:

Later, as soon as I put a load of wash in I am off to the gym... I'm biking there and doing legs :strong: then going for a longer bike ride afterwards...

TTFN :wave:

2frustrated
08-15-2005, 09:17 AM
Nice photoshopping Mel!

Ilene, I like your pic too, very pretty!

Just worked out nice programme for this week - will fiddle with it as the week progresses :rofl:

Meg
08-15-2005, 09:22 AM
What a lovely photo, Ilene! :) You, my dear, are looking simply mah-vel-ous. And DD is taller than you!!! You two look SO much alike - bet you hear that all the time. :lol:

Ilene
08-15-2005, 12:31 PM
2F -- Give the Glucosamine 4-6 weeks before it takes effect

Ellen -- Your weekend sounds really nice, it's our 24th anniv in October we just may take off for a day or two ourselves... It's such a nice break !!

Meg -- Yes, I hear it ALL the time that we look alike plus we also have the same mannerisms ... Poor child :shrug:...

I just had a pretty good leg workout it was pretty basic this morning squats, leg x, leg curls, and lunges... I didn't feel like thinking too much so I just went with the usual. I then did 20ks on the bike... It's a gorgeous day here not humid at all just nice and sunny...

diphthong
08-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey, Ladies!

Just a quickie from work to say Good Day! I love when people post pics, but don't expect any recent fof me too soon. I did give a fleeting thought of having my boss take one of me later today when I go out to shoot a sailboat we just listed. No promises, though.

Mel and Ilene are still gorgeous as always!

Mel - my sympathies on the lack of AC, and hope you don't have to wait too long to see the repair dude.

Ilene - LOL, that's my girl! :dizzy:

Just to scare the bejesus out of you two, that's how I backslid - Weekend off, weekdays on. And before I knew it, the carbs had taken over and I was addicted again. The being sick part isnt worth it, and that's when you know you've let it go too far - you stop getting sick.

Heat here has let up a bit but it is humid. Still a relief from the high 90's we've had for weeks on end.

Did an hour on the treadmill before work, and this evening I will do tri's and some squats. I am not anticipating the pain, but I remember how good it felt the first time I could't get up off the toilet without grabbing onto something. I know if it doesn't hurt tomorrow, I didn't lift or rep enough. Eats are in line and I'm psyched! Can't wait now to visit that gym tomorrow and hoping I can join!

I'll check back this evening. Hi! to all and have a great day! :hyper:

dip

2frustrated
08-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Hey, Ladies!

I am not anticipating the pain, but I remember how good it felt the first time I could't get up off the toilet without grabbing onto something.

dip

Maybe that's where I'm going wrong... I can still pee without needing a crane! :rofl:

Just had the BEST full body workout. Squats up 18lbs in 3 weeks, Deadlifts up 18lbs too, other things up by 10 and 12.5lbs :hyper: :dance:

Going to collapse with Kill Bill II! That or a bath... Kill Bill... killl him... :rofl:

Have a lovely day/evening laydees :D:D:D:D:D:D

Mel
08-15-2005, 03:11 PM
Just to scare the bejesus out of you two, that's how I backslid - Weekend off, weekdays on. And before I knew it, the carbs had taken over and I was addicted again.

Thanks, Dip. I'm not actually worried about backsliding or getting addicted to carbs again...my indulgences or cheats are usually "clean", just waaaaaay too much! Or wine..... I'm still doing battle with the peanut butter jar which dh and ds refuse to let me banish. Hey, it's healthy peanut butter! The only problem I have is that I can convince myself that a soup ladle is the size of a teaspoon.

It's very possible to eat way too much clean food, which has the same effect (without the excuse of water weight) as eating junk!

So far, the day is progressing well. The air conditioner guy showed up early :o and the whole fix was covered under our maintenance agreement :D Ds's braces are now re-affixed to his teeth, I trained 3 clients, did my chest workout (yipee! after a three week layoff from bench pressing, I did 10 pounds over my body weight this morning :) ) and went to a spin class (drip, drip). I'm thinking about getting certified as a spin instructor because (1) we are holding the certification workshop at my gym in November and (2) it will make me do intense cardio if I have to run the class! My only problem here is that I'm music challenged! I like to play it rather than listen, so I mentally tune out radio whenever it's on as background. I don't think Chopin etudes would make for good spin music :lol:

Back to the gym...

Mel

EofAZ
08-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Well I woke up this morning and made up my mind that I was going to come to you guys and confess how I've been destroying myself and low and behold it is the whole theme for the day (only I've been out of control for months in addition to over this weekend again). I have been keeping up with my weight training but really eating terrible ever since last November and I've gained back 30 of the 90 lbs I initially lost and it is scaring me to death. Loose 2 lbs gain back 3 loose 2 again and gain back 3 again ... I've starting fresh again today and really am trying to focus on just following the Body for Life for Women format and really making myself eat every meal. I know what I'm doing wrong ... eating way to little and then binging because I'm out of control but I'm so stressed out about it I can't get myself back in check. Anyway, confession is good for the sole, right? So I'm admitting I've been really screwing up and I'm hoping that I can now stop trying to magically starve the weight back off and just concentrate on actually eating, nice and healthy.

I did get up and meet with my PT at 5:30am this morning and had an OK leg workout. I have a new PT and we are in the "getting to know each other stage" so right now she is getting use to what I'm capable of doing. I did up the weight a couple of times on her but Iím pretty bad about watching how much Iím using, I usually concentrating more on form, etc.

Thanks guys for listening.

Ilene
08-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Well, well, well, is this old folks week or what? Good to have you back Evangeline... You know who else I thought of this morning was JC from Australia! I wonder if she's lurking? :devil: Come out, come out wherever you are??

Food has been good today, verrrry good, but ya know it's only 6:39, I have a few hours left in the day....

WaterRat
08-15-2005, 06:55 PM
:), Ilene! Mine has been good today, too, though it's only 3 pm here. I'm eyeing the grapes sitting on my desk and know if I'd just eat them I'd feel better and stop thinking of something less good for me to eat, which - thank goodness - there isn't any of here at work. :lol:

diphthong
08-15-2005, 10:04 PM
HAHA! 2frus - the joke around my house is "call the crane, . . . . " I give "No pAin, No gAin," a whole new meaning!

Mel - you are the last one I worry about ever falling down - your sig line whacks me between the eyes every time I read one of your posts. Glad you got your AC fixed that quick. But I think you put a whammy on me this morning. When I went out to my car after lunch to return to work, it said, "click-click-click . . . " when I tried to start it. Battery. So my boss came by, jumped the battery and I drove 15 miles to NAPA for a new one. When I finally got back to the office, I spent 1.5 hours on a file and lost all my data when I went to SAVE. Got up to walk off my frustration and locked myself out of the office and FORGOT there was a spare key card hidden outside. Got back in and went to use the corprate AE number for a purchase and forgot where I hid it. At that point I am laughing quite hard at myself, and then counted my many blessings. But I was sure glad to get home and close the door behind me. Did my tri's but my knees couldn't handle the squats, not even with dumbbells out front. Very disappointing. But I did so well today that I am pleased in spite of it. And tonite I pushed the healthy PB far to the back of the frig and out of sight. But it's there in case of emergency.

Evangeline - Hi! I don't think I know you, but it sounds like we are in the same boat. I know we can get it done with the help of these fine ladies, and getting back to the gym. I did the same thing - gain, lose, gain lose, gain, gain, gain. And used every justifiable excuse I could think of. But the bottom line is I am responsible for my failure and I'm the only one who can fix it. And the only way I could fix it, I realized, was with my LWL toolbox. Hang tuff!

Grapes? Grapes? I didn't eat mine today, but can't now because it's too late, but I'll have them for sure in the morning! Hi Pat!

ILENE- my little jelly bean- I've been wondering about JC and Cindy (BFLcat), and a few of the others. I was hoping to see Tiki today! I was just looking at her pics in the album. She and her kids are just downright lovely.

Hi Ellen - glad you had such a wonderful anniversary!

Well, it's time for bed, but I'm going to cruise the forums a bit before turning in. See you all tomorrow - sleep well!

dip

2frustrated
08-16-2005, 03:48 AM
Woooooo YEAH! Am still :hyper: from my workout last night and raring to go kickboxing after work! Took a sneaky peak at the scales this morning and they're down a couple of lbs, so YAY! Bodies are so sloooooow! Almost as slow as me on a Sunday morning! :lol:

Plotting out my eats for the day and it looks like I have room for a HUGE protein shake at the end of the day! Mmmmm half price protein! :rofl: I went to stock up the other day and the small box I usually buy was £1.50 more expensive than usual! So I checked the price with a cashier and what it said on the shelf was right... So I walked out in a huff! Then went to a health food shop and bought a kilo of the stuff for just £2.50 more! CRACKERS!

Hope everyone has a GREAT day! :D

4rabbit
08-16-2005, 04:54 AM
Hi LWL,

I'm back from holiday. Saw some beautifull beaches, fjords, waterfalls. Took some great hikes. And I gainded 3 pounds, as norewegian food is extremely expensive unless you cook it yourself, and even then it's expensive. The stuff that is relatively inexpensive is salmon, crab legs and shrimp, which I all like very much. Considering this, a 3 pound gain is OK, only I'm afraid it will take me months to get it off again.

Had a bit of a slow start to get back into routine, but i am reading the posts of the past weeks now to get up to date. And I did 5 km on the treadmill today. I really feel that I need more excercise. All my joints and bones are creacking, and some hurt to. Time to get out the glucosamine!!

On the plus side: Due to all the excercise i was able to not only keep up with the hikes to the waterfalls and along the coast, but I actually did better than some of the "trained" participants !!!!! Doing squats really is a good preparation for walking steep hills! And I was not sore or stiff at all!

I'll now get into making a plan for the next months...make a tempelate to fill in for cardio, lifting, food etc.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

ellenuw
08-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Welcome home Rabbit!!!! ... and great to "see" you again, EofA. Oh, "crackers", 2F - you "crack" me up and remind me how much I miss my Brits - DH was on a British project for 12 years and switched back to a US project this year. I sorely miss that unmistakable British wit.

Yes, time for us all to knuckle down. My eats have been off, way off - yesterday was a "high peanut" day. Man, where did that come from?? I have not gotten on the scale and we all know that denial is not a good place to be. However, I now only formally weigh the last Sun of the month, so I have to get under control NOW so I don't PAY then. Clothes are fitting, so I may have snuck by this time. I know I need to boost my protein and everything else will fall in place. That difference between 75g and my goal of 100 or more, makes a huge difference. I bought some egg whites and oatmeal, and I always have cottage cheese, so I see "Ilene's pancakes" in my future. mmmm

Off for my interval run - have a great day

Ilene
08-16-2005, 08:34 AM
I had a very good run this morning... After about 15 minutes I met up with some gals on the trail who invited me to run them home, WELL, their pace is SOOOO much faster than mine that after 15 minutes, thank gawd we arrived at their corner, I was able to walk for 2 minutes after I left them... This made me realise though that I must up the ante here and set some goals. Thank goodness September and a new season is around the corner...

WaterRat
08-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Just running through here - I have to be at a meeting in 15 minutes (and it's 10 min to get there and park). I'm off the rest of the week - going car camping and fishing with DH - well, he's fishing, I'm relaxing. :) I swear, getting ready is almost more work than the trip is worth!

Welcome home Rabbit. I missed you. Glad you had fun, and wtg on walking those "trained" participants into the ground! You are "trained" too!! :lol:

Glad to see all the returning LWL's. I always wonder what happens to people when they just disappear.

Ilene, upping the ante may be just the thing. I still always thing of the start of school as the beginning of a new year. :shrug:

Whoops, time's up, gotta scoot. See you next week for sure.

MrsDawsondn
08-16-2005, 03:36 PM
I hope no one minds me chiming in but I am beginning to really enjoy challenging myself with weights. I did 3 sets of 10 reps of shoulder presses and IT felt GOOD. I also did a bench press for 3 sets of 10 with very light weights in addition to my 20 minutes on the stairmaster.

Ilene
08-16-2005, 04:21 PM
MrsD -- You're hooked :strong: ....:dance:... It's a goot thang!! Chime in anytime BTW ...

I've had 2 good food days in a row... I'm on a roll till at least Friday when we go to my g/f for our annual spaghetti roast... Yes, this girl, yearly, makes spaghetti on a hot stove on the hottest day of the year, so we've named it ''spaghetti roast day''... In my mind spaghetti is a winter food....:dunno:

mom2w
08-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Weights really are addictive -- watch out! I think it's the feeling of power & strength and finding out what your body really can do. Maybe for women we don't normally get to test ourselves like this??? Not sure. Anyway, I squatted 50# today without dh there to help (smith machine, but...)

Ilene: Spaghetti does seem kind of wintery. Of course, if it's too hot out it's more self-limiting! LOL Have fun and congrats on two good days. That's how a streak starts!

Hi to all the returning people. I'm newer here but it's nice to see things active and get more advice, perspective, information from a bigger group.

Great workout this morning. I had a million reasons not to go but am so glad I blocked them out. I've dropped back to 2 sets of some higher weights and doing the exercises from bodysculpting bible but not their super/giant/modified compound sets. It's just too hard to take up too much space at the gym when there are other people waiting for benches or weights. I feel too guilty but the new routine seems to be good and I'm feeling more defined right away.

Have a great day!
Brenda

4rabbit
08-17-2005, 03:46 AM
Hi LWL,

I feel like saying "rabbit reporting in again". I am so accustomed to only posting when I have actually done something, and then run to tell you guys about it!.

Well, I made my templates yesterday, and I did 15 mins row and LBW this morning. My legs are so tired that I felt wobbly on the stairs. but it feels really really good to feel my body get back into shape again.

When I visited indonesia a very long time ago I found out that they have a separate word for "feeling good for the body", which is "Enak". And that is just exactly how it feels to get back into the excercise 1 hour a day routine again and getting all the wrinkles out of my muscles and joints. I swear I am having less aches and joint pains since I started again.

Pat, Ellenuw, it's great to "see" you both again. Pat, how is your husband doing? Seems so nice to go car camping in Alaska! Do you sleep in a tent?

Ilene, Pat, I might join you in actually setting some goals for the next months. Now only to come up with something realistic.

Hi to everyone and have a great day!

rabbit

mscelica
08-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Dip -- Good job on digging deeper into the anger/eating thing. I just recently discovered that my eating is mostly triggered by not getting something I think I should have or that I want. For instance, DH and I are watching a business deal go down the tubes and this was going to be a significant portion of retirement funds. Result: M&M's, Reese's pieces, cookies..... it didn't do anything to bring back the money, though! :dunno:

OTOH, had some serious issues with one of our teenagers, and I was able to handle my emotions just fine by working out (I've had great workouts all week, BTW!) :D

On that note, I did something for the first time today... I did preacher's curls using the curl bar and preacher's bench instead of using one of the machines! I felt like I was in elementary school and had peeked into the boys bathroom or something! What power! :dancer:

Luanne

mscelica
08-17-2005, 09:32 AM
OK, if I just posted a reply to the post from Dip, how did it end up BEFORE her post? :?:

2frustrated
08-17-2005, 09:50 AM
Oooh that's freaky... I wonder where mine will end up!

I find a good punching the wall (with gloves of course) or punchbag does the trick when I'm really :tantrum: MAD!

Looking forward to weights tonight and trying out some of your lovely recipes from the sticky! I don't feel like I have to succumb to a lifetime of cottage cheese and chicken breasts!

:D

2frustrated
08-17-2005, 09:50 AM
:rofl: I LIKE IT!

2frustrated
08-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Oooh sorry laydees for spamming... but the time on dip's post is wack! That's why we're coming up before hers...

Oooh dontcha just :love: computers??

ellenuw
08-17-2005, 10:22 AM
mmmm - my new post-workout treat. Figs were at Costco yesterday, and I know how short that season is, so ...

1/2 c fat free yogurt
1 fig, chopped
good spriinkle of cinnamon
1/2 tsp honey

Mix in bowl and don't just eat, but indulge in it, relish each lick and think of the greek Islands and that fabulous dinner in Corfu so many years ago (this was pretty much dessert that night ... of course the yogurt wasn't fat free, and the honey wasn't from a plastic bottle in the shape of a bear, but I digress).

Have had great workouts so far this week and food is getting back on track. Have eggplant roasting for a summer salad tonight. Should be a good day.

BTW - Tiki, I miss you.

diphthong
08-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Good Morning, LWL!

Just a quickie from work, as I have a meeting at 10.

I did really well on eats yesterday, then late in the afternoon just before getting on the treadmill, I had a phone conversation that made me quite angry. :tantrum: I got on the TM but couldn't concentrate or run off that anger so I got off after a mile. I then proceeded to binge on clean food, but added an unnecessary 300 calories to my already perfect max for the day. I ended up going to bed at 8PM just not to eat any more.

I got up this morning quite remorseful, :nono: and had to really evaluate why I had gotten so angry. The source of the anger was not the content of the phone conversation but something deeper, and older. Once I identified that, I was able to get on the TM and give it 200%. Today will be a high protein day, some lifting tonite and another early to bed.

I checked out that gym yesterday and they seem to have it all, including - MEN! I'm used to a "ladies only" gym so this will be something new. The cost isn't as bad as I anticipated. The sweet young thing that showed me around offered me the over 55 discount. I told her I was only 53, but she gave it to me anyway, I'm supposing for making it this far. :cp: Hey 5% is 5%!! I will be joining before the week is over, as I definitely have to have something to do with my time in the evenings, AND have a place to run to if and when I get angry.

Hope all have a great day, and I'll check back later. . .

Best!

dip

EofAZ
08-17-2005, 01:46 PM
Well I just needed to stop by and share that I made it through a whole day eating clean. It felt soooo good to wake up this morning and not regret the day before.

I met with my PT this morning for a really good chest and triceps workout, unfortunately, she told me that Friday was going to be her last day. Oh well, this gym has a lot of turnover in their staff, once I finish my contract with them I won't be renewing it. It is just too much work trying to get connected with someone willing to work before 7:00 am or after 6:00 pm. Unfortunately, I work 8:00 Ė 5:00 and have a 30 minute drive to or from the gym. I would have appreciated them disclosing this fact before I signed up for 1 Ĺ year contract. Oh well, Iíve learned a lot and that was the whole point of going, I did have one instructor that really taught me a lot about form and mixing it up so Iíve learned just how much fun working with weights can be. He also introduced me to the stability ball and that was a real eye opener for me.

Ellen, thx for the recipe, it sounds wonderful.

Luanne, I so relate to your anger management comments, I think a lot of my overeating has been disappointment/frustration more then anger but the boxing technique can really help with that too. Anything to just get it out of your system, I know my Mom use to like to go out and split wood for that very reason. My brothers would try to insist on doing it for her but she like getting out and expending the energy required splitting it herself. I get a similar feeling just going out and hitting a few golf balls.

Have a good one,

MrsDawsondn
08-17-2005, 03:09 PM
just got back from a lunch workout. Did 20 minutes on the stairmaster and then 3 sets of 10 sqats, calf raises, and the machine where you sit and lift the weights up with your legs LOL Sorry I don't know the name of that exercise :dunno:. My shoulder workout yesterday I can still feel a slight soreness from it and I'm liking it, because I know soon there will be some slimming in that area.

I also have a question. For some really odd reason I get these moments where there is pressure in my pelvic area. Almost like cramps but I know that Tom is a ways off. I only get these pains when I exercise, usually lowerbody exercise like lifting or running but it's always afterwards. I also drink half my body weight in water in oz's and I'm running to the restroom all day long, which I know what that's all about I know the water is flushing my system of all toxins and other stuff, I'm just trying to figure this pelvic pressure thingy out. I know I'm not pregnant because my tubes have been tied for a long while, and I know it's nowhere near time for TOM to be around. so any ideas?

diphthong
08-17-2005, 03:45 PM
Wow, that time thing is weird because I did post at 9:41AM CDT.

Yes, eating down the anger has been my biggest downfall for many ayear, and I made the realization some time ago. Dealing with it is a whole 'nother story. That's why I need a gym. Boxing isn't my thing because I'm too much of a weenie. I couldnit hit another person for sport. Defense yes, but not just to see whom is the better hitter. A bag might not be a bad idea, but with my luck I'd break my hand. :lol:

Glad to report my eating today is so great, I could bust. Tried some DB squats, and low and behold my knee popped back into place, and I can even take stairs without pain. This getting old stuff is for the birds. Seems every day it's something different!

Well, back to work. Later gators!

dip

mscelica
08-17-2005, 04:06 PM
2frustrated:

:rofl: I LIKE IT!

You like what?

Luanne

2frustrated
08-17-2005, 04:15 PM
He he! I was just amused at the odd posts coming up earlier! I liked the fact that my came up before dip's too!

Finished heavy full body weights. Just did 2 sets rather than 3 though, and skipped a bench press cos I have a wierd hand from falling on it the other night! Made some banana muffiny thingy that was really nice! At last, something apart from yoghurt and babybels to snack on! :rofl:

I'm hoping I'll finish the week feeling fitter than the other week where I nearly died on the Friday cos I was so tired! :lol: So far - LOOKING GOOD! :D

Ilene
08-17-2005, 07:19 PM
2F -- You'll probably be fine by friday because you are getting used to the routine or working out, but just when you think you're getting used to it, it's time to change it, and BAM you get tired again :lol:... But I love it :devil: !!

Dip -- I do remember that you had to deal with :mad: and :hungry: last year too ... I think you did an excellent job in dealing with the phone call, afterall you had 300 of clean healthy calories, the ol' Dip would have run for the junk, so kudos to you girl :high: ...

Just so everyone knows, Suzanne has fixed the problem with the server which was the problem with the the :crazy: posts mix up ...

Today was chest, shoulders, triceps, and some abs... it was a good workout but a quickie one I didn't have much time, only an hour...

Tomorrow morning it's an early run ...

2frustrated
08-18-2005, 03:52 AM
:yes: Yuppers Ilene, I'm looking at new and interesting exercises to torture myself with after next week! I think I'll allow myself one week of finding it easy! :lol: Although I keep upping the weights so it can't be that bad!

Advanced kickboxing tonight! :hyper: Am a bit sore from yesterday's weights, which feels so good! It's nice to know I'm pushing myself!

Dip - I'm with Ilene, respect to you! I'd never binge on healthy food!! Give me a mars bar any day! :rofl:

Have a good day laydees :D

silverbirch
08-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Welcome back Dip! It is lovely to see you again. When I joined LWL I knew I'd be a bit sporadic in posting and you were very welcoming, saying 'just post when you can'. And that's what I do! I do look forward to reading your forthcoming posts.

It's a bit hit and miss here. The main thing is the old thing for me: not enough time for myself. I need to feel the air around my head in order even to think. Plus one or two new things: my parents are definitely older now. They are both 80 and I shall be 50 at the end of the month. It's right, what the old ones tell you, time does get faster. We're just back from a fortnight (= two weeks) with the parents. It was hard work with little space.

I am taking things step by step. Exercise is building up again. Food: I'm going to try a new plan, making a list of food which makes me feel ill, then formally ban it (with the rest of the household) and just move on. And that will be that. Won't it? Certainly. I'll try to keep you posted.

2F: what are you doing now you're out in the World of Work? (I understand completely if you are under cover. If so, I did not ask.)

Hullo everyone else. Keep breathing.

2frustrated
08-19-2005, 04:01 AM
:sssh: silverbirch :rofl: Actually I'm a design engineer and I work for a charity that designs and manufactures equipment for disabled people where no alternate product or solution exists! My fiance has just started work as a Transport Planner (oooh that sounds exciting :lol: ) and sometimes it feels like, oh well this is all there is now, for ever and ever and ever! ;) I know it's not quite like that, but sometimes it feels a bit boring! Although saying that, I have plenty of ambition outside of work! I love my kickboxing and would like to go into tournaments with that soon and we're planning a holiday in Japan in November, so it's not all boring!

Good kickboxing session last night, really great. Got to beat up a nasty guy! MWAHAHAHAHAH! :devil:

It's raining like it's never going to stop! I got a wet "bum" on the bike on the way in this morning. It appears my waterproofs have given up the ghost! :doh:

Going to bake this afternoon, for fiance who was quite annoyed that my banana muffin things had protein powder in! He wouldn't eat them! :rofl: So I'm going to make him a spicy fruity cake... and myself some more muffins! YAY!

MrsDawsondn
08-19-2005, 02:02 PM
Hello all,

I just got back from lunch workout. Did 20 minutes on the stair stepper, 3 sets of 10 squats, calf raises, leg extension (finally found the name for them LOL), then I switched up and did 3 sets of Behind The Head Deltoid Presses well I couldn't finish the last rep I did maybe about 6 (man those are HARD to do), and frontward ar, extensions , I think that's what they are called and 2 sets of 10 dips (wowzers what a workout). I had to run around on yesterday's lunch and couldn't get my workout in so today I kinda made up for it. I know I'll be sore and sorry tomorrow but atleast I got to do an overall workout.

Oh yeah and guess what? mini milestone. My butt is on a comeback yayyyyyy gluteous maximus here we come haha!

EofAZ
08-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Well I'm happy to report in that I've made it 4 days in a row clean eating and I'm half way through day 5. It feels good to be able to get up in the morning and look yourself in the mirror without feeling guilty.

I had my upper body workout this morning and worked bis and back. It felt good, was my last day with this trainer, she's decided to focus 100% on school. I can't get an appointment until next Thursday with the other early morning trainer so I'll be on my own for a few days. That's all right, I have some great equipment at the house that I love to play with. I was on such a role this morning that I came home from the gym and did some back extensions and crunches on the stability ball for good measure.

TTFN,

Ilene
08-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Today was back and biceps, I was in the gym for an hour... No cardio today.

Evageline :high: to us, we both have 4 clean days under our belts. You know, I speak for myself here, once I have it in my head that I will eat clean, it's clean all the way, and it's really not that difficult, I just do it! I just wish I ALWAYS had it in my head :rolleyes: ... Tonight though we are going to some friends for a ''spaghetti roast'', that could pose a bit of a challenge, I'll just do the best I can with the circumstance...

DS found out yesterday that he starts next week as a lifeguard at the new municipal aquatic centre :dance: I am one happy and proud mom :D

:coach: DIP report in !!

Hope everyone has a good weekend... TTFN :wave:

kykaree
08-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi all, I have been so busy!!! I used to work 12 - 8 shifts, and it was so easy to fit my weight sessions in three times a week, now it's all change. I have a promotion, but have to work 9 - 5, which means leaving the house at 7 for my commute. A couple of days this week I have left at 6.30, which gives me an hour in the gym. (we have one at work) so I do cardio there. Then a couple of nights a week I go and do weights at my home gym. It gets confusing!!!!

I like home gym better I burn more calories!!!! It bugs me how the machines are different from company to company, it's all a big con!!!

I did weights today, I am doing a full body programme at the moment. I have a few more weeks of that and we'll change it again. I worked really hard and feel exhausted now!!! My eating seems to have improved a little bit with the change in shifts, I am not snacking as much.

Roll on 199!!!!

Mel
08-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Wow- we have a major British contingent here!
Welcome back SB :wave: I completely understand your "not enough of me" problem. I have 2 sets of aging parents (divorced and remarried) to deal with, and one set live 2500 miles away. And like you, one of my kids is still at home (and driving me crazy). I think Ilene is in the same sandwhich with us :dizzy:
Nice to see you too, Evangeline! I can't believe the problems you've had finding a trainer.

I seem to be perpetually behind this week. Every day has been gruesomely long, the piles of unsorted mail are threatening to topple off the kitchen island, I have about 20 unanswered emails ( if yours is one of the...I'm sorry!), an overflowing laundry basket, and bored, grumpy teenager, more weeds that flowers...whine , whine, whine. BUT I ate clean all week and hit every workout :D

I'm not sure who questioned it, but I have been known to binge on clean food! This week my dh went grocery shopping (see above for why) and he doesn't have any idea what "expensive" or "not expensive" is because he only sets foot in the grocery store maybe twice a year. He came home with the most delicious white peaches I've ever eaten. They're like candy in a peach skin. I've had two already today, and the other four have been calling me since I got home.

MrsDawson- I have no idea what your pelvic pressure could be :dunno: Have you had any pelvic surgery in the last year? If so, it could be swelling when you exercise. If not, maybe you should ask a doc.

Today I did an OK back workout...sometimes they just aren't special. Oh well, I'll still be sore. Usually I love doing back, but I was at our "other" gym, and I just feel out of place there. Then a bunch of clients, 1/2 hour cardio, then home before 6 pm for the only time this week :cheer:

Off to make dinner. :chicken: as usual!

Mel

srmb60
08-19-2005, 07:44 PM
Regarding weenie little woman arms ... I've had a wee perk. When I first got my home gym (Dec '04), I could do the arm press with the lightest weight (20 lbs). I could do the next plate, which made it 45 lbs ... if one of my fellas brought it foreward for me. I could do 10 reps before I had to have someone help me out of the machine :lol: Today :strong: I did 2 sets of 25 reps, home alone! :dance:

Mel
08-19-2005, 08:18 PM
:bravo: Susan! What's an arm press?

Mel

srmb60
08-19-2005, 08:28 PM
You sit on a seat and the handles sit at about chest height. You press them forward. I guess it's kinda like an upright bench press but I can't drop the weight on my head :)

diphthong
08-19-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi Gang!

Sorry to be MIA, but my IE keeps crashing. I've been off work for 2 days, so I'm gonna have to wait til I go back tomorrow to make a decent post. DH won't be down until Labor Day Weekend so I'll have yo muddle with this IE problem.

HI Silverbirch! Good to see you too!

Eats have been clean, and yes Evangeline, I can relate to that AM feeling of no guilt or whatever for the day before. Cool, isn't it!?!?! I've also been sleeping better - how 'bout you?

I am down 2# this week - wish it was more but hey I'll take it. Did some squats the other day and my knee popped back into where it should be so no pain going up and down stairs - go figure. Also been working my arms and shoulders and need to up the weight - I am such a weenie! Gping to do back and try some crucnhes this evening. Read recently forget the crunches and go back to good ol' sit-ups which article claimed was better.

I'll check in tomorrow from work and hope you all have a great, healthy weekend.

Best to all!

dip

ellenuw
08-20-2005, 07:37 AM
Hi LWL - I though the weather was going to break, but, no. It should be at least (!) 95 here today. so I am off to the Pentagon to get my DCFit t-shirt (oh, yes) and then do my 10 miler in the gym on the treadmill. Not my idea of a perfect run, but better than none. Had a great week workout wise and OK eats wise. It is not what I eat, but how much. I am blaming it on this TOM that is now in its 12th :yikes: day. Called GYN and she said no issues, as it is "old" blood - who cares, just stop!! My mother made the appropriate clucking and hugging sounds then told me, "just wait". It took her 10 years to get through this. AARRGGGHHH.

But, on another note, I am tweaking my schedule again. I am still going to keep weights 3x a week and running 4x a week 'alternative' cardio (ususally the bike) 2x a week and pilates 1x a week. I have decided to fall back to one session of yoga a week instead of two and am adding deep water running 2 nights a week after Labor Day. I did this about 18 years ago and loved it. Hopefully, it will be a good adjunct to my marathon training. And, I need one day to myself to get things done. So Tues will be my "short" interval run day that I can do here and not go to the gym for anything else.

Oh, yes, and bought a sexy dress (for me :o ) with exposed shoulders for a charity function we have in Sept. Here is the link: http://www.normthompson.com/jump.jsp?itemID=7414&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1%2C2%2C4%2C15%2C171&iProductID=7414
I have a chiffon(ish) colorful shrug-like top to wear over it. I'll let you know how it all looks. If I can figure out the technology, I'll even post it ;)

Oh, and Dip - I had all sorts of IE problems - take a look at Mozilla Firefox as an alternative browser. I love it

Ilene
08-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Ellen -- That dress is very very pretty you will look classy in that outfit :love:

2frustrated
08-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Ellen - nice dress ;)

I've just done my weights today as I was shattered yesterday cos I had a bad night's sleep on Thursday. Managed 2 sets of everything on heavy weights! Hooray! I've woken up a bit too, cos I managed to fall asleep after a morning snack! :lol:

mscelica
08-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Ellen's right, it's sooo hot and humid here in the Balto/DC corridor! Today was chest and triceps -- great workout on weights. But when I tried to do more than a fast walk on treadmill (5.2 mph), I could hardly catch my breath and got stomach stitches.(And I feel like my insides are jostling around) So, I just did 20 mins of 4.0 walk at higher incline, then jumped on the stairmaster for 20 mins. (Breathing was much better there at same heart rate). I really don't understand why jogging seemed so hard today -- is it possible that, even though I'm in the gym, the high humidity and heat could affect my performance? :?:

I really want to be able to run like Ilene and Ellen can! :tantrum:

Also, I drive a Celica, (mid-life crisis car) and it is not the most graceful car to get in and out of (which is why I am pestering DH for an SUV). In the meantime, it has inspired me to start working on core strengthening!

Everyone have a great weekend!

ellenuw
08-20-2005, 03:13 PM
I really want to be able to run like Ilene and Ellen can! :tantrum:

Umm - MsC - you can out "walk" my "run". I run at a 10K pace of about 5mph and a marathon pace of 4.5mph. I may be slow, but I will finish. So, can I count you in to join us for next year's marathon training? I 'll even let you pick which marathon ;)

I just keep telling myself ther is a reason your best time in running is called a "Personal Record" or "Personal Best" - it is personal and we are all different and running our own races. It keeps me going and focused.

diphthong
08-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Well, I just wrote a nice long post, my computer blipped and it was gone - dang! :mad:

Busy here at work although tourism is down overall in the area. It's either the heat, kids back in school or both. :cool:

Got my cardio done before work this morning, and only 1 set of squats so far. I'm going to close the door to my office when I'm done here and finish up. :wl:

Ellen, love that dress - I'm envious as no sleeveless for me. And I have no place to wear it! Thanks for the browser tip, but I'll have to wait to DH gets here to make any changes. He says he's building me another computer. Hope I get it soon, or the other one I left behind. The one I brought with me had all my healthy living data, links and e-books. That's what's probably wrong with it - too much on it.

Eating is clean and right on track. I was offered a taste of homemade peach preserves today that was so full of sugar, I am almost spit it out. :fr: THAT told me I was pretty cleaned out from the white stuff. Food is love here in the South, so I graciously accepted a jar to take home. It will end up in the garbage, and I will return the jar in a week or so, praising it's contents.

Hope you all have a peaceful Sunday as we gear up for another week. I usually do my cooking on Sunday, rest and reflect. :beach: I hope it's not too hot again because I really would like to walk down to the lake early in the morning, and say hello to the boat.

Be careful out there!

dip

silverbirch
08-20-2005, 04:59 PM
hasty post

2F - you are a useful person to know. Glad I do.

Mel - thanks for understanding! Although my boy is only 5, he sometimes tries out the grumpy, bored teenager persona for size. I tell him there's no need, he snaps out of it and we move on to having fun. Have you tried that?? :rofl: On second thoughts, perhaps it wouldn't work with a real grumpy, bored teenager!

Dip - I'm with Ellen. Mozilla Firefox is what I use and it's great. I use Mozilla Thunderbird for email and that cuts down on virus nonsense.

And Mrs Dawson! Your pictures are amazing! Very, very good going!

You are all inspirations. Thanks for being here.

Ilene
08-20-2005, 05:03 PM
Umm - MsC - you can out "walk" my "run". I run at a 10K pace of about 5mph and a marathon pace of 4.5mph. I may be slow, but I will finish. So, can I count you in to join us for next year's marathon training? I 'll even let you pick which marathon ;)

I just keep telling myself ther is a reason your best time in running is called a "Personal Record" or "Personal Best" - it is personal and we are all different and running our own races. It keeps me going and focused.MsC, Ellen is absolutely right on don't compare apples with oranges, we are all different. My thoughts were pretty much the same about your walk at 5.2pmh, that's nothing to balk at!! Keep up the great work... Walking hills at 4mph is excellent, I do that often. This is not scientific or anything, but I get sluggish even in the gym when it's this humid outside, I believe the humidity is all over. I ''think'' when it's humid the barometric pressure is down and so it's down all over I would think, but this is an uneducated guess ;)

Today was a pretty lazy day for me, I took a day off, so it's back at it again tomorrow for moi... TTFN:wave:

Blyss
08-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Hey everyone!

I'm new and just wanted to say 'hi!' I've been working out solidly for the last 4 months and LOVE my weights routines! I do weights 3 times a week (cardio 6 times a week) at the gym. I love watching the weights go up and challenging myself! And finding muscles on my body that I never knew existed before......who ever would have thought I had toned thighs under that fat lol

I've also just started incorporating a 'Body Pump' class once a week. It's good variety to my weights and keeps me interested! Can't wait to get to know you all!
xxx

2frustrated
08-21-2005, 08:33 AM
Hello :wave: Blyss!

Having a chilled out day today - Girlie gang stayed over last night for videos and food! Too much food.. Oh so much chocolate cake! But I have sent them packing and sent the food out with them! Just listening to Norah Jones, baking my healthy protein muffins and cheesecakes for the week, and sitting on the balcony chilling out! It's really great weather today! It's making me smile just looking out the window!

:D

Mel
08-21-2005, 09:05 AM
Hi Blyss:wave: Welcome to LWL! The weights really get addicting, don't they?

I had a "way too much" evening yesterday too. We went to a clambake that a neighbor has been planning for the last 2 years. 60 people, a big fire pit, the works! He did a fantastic job, drove up and down the east coast gathering supplies and had some flown in. I was really good until I gathered up a dessert plate for my son and started tasting :o After all, seafood is fine. Between the bloat and the misquitoe bites, I feel kind of ick today. Cardio and LOTS of water on tap! I was supposed to go to a house concert at my brother's who lives about an hour and a half away in southern Delaware, but I think I'm going to pass and just get caught up today. It's hard to visit him because he's on the "beach traffic" and Nascar traffic routes (Dover Downs) so in the summer or if it's a race weekend, that hour and a half can be FOUR!

Hot and sticky here too!

MsC- Let me add the same refrain! That's a fast walk :eek: For me, 5.2 mph is a jog or run. I had a Celica loooong ago....loved that car, but it slid all over the place at the least hint of rain, ice or snow! I think I had the last of the rear wheel drive versions. It was so long ago that I was wresting a baby set into the minimal back seat. Not very practical! :dizzy:

Off to go attack laundry piles or make my weeky trek to Home Depot,
Mel

2frustrated
08-21-2005, 12:31 PM
OK quick question... I made a sugar free "jello" cheesecake, with CC, cream cheese (low fat) and 3/4 pint made up jelly. Put it in the fridge all afternoon and it has separated, all the creamy cheesey stuff on the top and then there's this watery goo which I think is the gelatine at the bottom, not nice!

I whisked it all up in the blender, do you think maybe I didn't allow time for the jelly to cool?? :?:

silverbirch
08-21-2005, 04:29 PM
do you think maybe I didn't allow time for the jelly to cool?? :?:

Yes. Bad luck this time but your skill and experience will show next time! (Um, this is just my opinion. I could be very wrong.)

I've decided to start doing morning exercises (mostly cardio and rehab ones for my quads/knee/foot) to get them done and to cut down on time in the gymn. (For those who don't know me: I'm time-poor.) It means getting up earlier than I'd like, which cuts into my sleep time, and there's not much leeway on turning out the light earlier because of home duties. It's usually out by 1030 pm, could be 1000 pm now. And when I'm tired, I eat too much. Will I stay the course? Stay tuned. And any tips are very welcome.

Welcome, Blyss! Good to have you here.