Old 08-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #1  

Default Well, today wasnt so good...

I hate when i just get started with trying to eat healthy and exercise, and something comes up that makes it bad. I had a friend come into town and she wanted to go for supper. And i'm so weak right now that i caved and got a chicken wrap slathered with mayo, and french fries. I'm weighing myself tomorrow anyways, cause i want to make sunday my weigh in day from now on. at least i dont have any thing happening for the next week so i should be able to get back on track fast. i just hate temptation like that. i love going out with friends, but when i see them eating fatty, tasty food, i cant help but want them. phew, at least it's over, and i wont eat anything else tonight. PROMISE!

Kitty
GirlieKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 08:32 PM   #2  
Laura

Hey, that's not so bad! My definition of a bad day is eating a whole pan of brownies or something.

Really though - sometimes in these situations, I'll choose to have one or the other - if having the chicken wrap, get a salad instead of fries (or order it light on the mayo b/c most of the ingredients were probably good) - or I'll have fries and promise myself to stop eating when I'm truly full - things like that...just making little adjustments to my thinking so I eat reasonably.

Really though - you have to look at the whole picture not just one meal.
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:02 AM   #3  

Thanks alphabetsoup! I SOOOOOOOOO have problems stopping eating when i'm full. Guess i probably eat too fast. when i eat out, they always give too much, and i eat most of it and end up uncomfortably full. That's why i like eating at home, cause i know what the right amount is, so if i clean my plate, it's ok cause it was only a small amount. Hopefully in the future i will keep this in mind. like getting the salad instead, and maybe i can section off the portion of the food i know is my ideal amount, and stop eating when it's gone.
Thanks for the encouragment. it makes me feel so much better being able to come here and get support from people who know what i'm going through!.

Kitty
Old 08-14-2005, 01:53 AM   #4  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

I really have a problem eating too much to fast also. What we do now is Kimberley and I share a meal when we are out. If your alone get a box and put half of the meal in the box before you even start. If you think you will be to weak later just leave the box when you leave. Really no one needs the amount they feed you at resteraunts. And believe me your getting your moneys worth even if you leave half the meal. You can do it keep strong.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:39 AM   #5  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Howie took the words right out of my mouth -- I was going to say the same thing about splitting an entree with a friend, or dividing up the meal first thing. If you do it before you even take a bite, you won't miss it.

Onward and downward, Kitty. Next time temptation swoops in, you'll be armed with a plan. You can do it!
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 05:41 AM   #6  
Down-Sizing Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlieKitty
I love going out with friends, but when i see them eating fatty, tasty food, i cant help but want them.
Kitty
I don't know what plan you're following.. I'm following Atkins.. and last 13 pounds last month..

When I start to feel deprived, I say whoa.. What about the 'tasty food' I can eat.. & lose weight while doing so..

Too often we focus on what we can't have instead of what we can..
I love a big juicy steak.. or a yummy cheese hamburger without the bun.. with some onions.. mushrooms.. or hot chicken wings..

If I focus on what I can't have, I start to feel deprived.. and that is not good..

You can do this Sweetie.. It does get easier as you go along.. Just try to focus on the positive side..

*hugs*

Glenda
glendajoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:12 AM   #7  

I read somewhere once that learning to follow your diet (I prefer livestyle change) is like learning to drive. When we first start out doing either we are not very good. We need lots of practice, until it become second nature. There will come a time we won't need to spend all our time figuring out what it good to eat or how long to exercise. Along the way our bodies and cars need matainance.
One meal that was not the best choice is okay, forgive yourself, plan on making a better choice next time.
jmacway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #8  

Well, I'm down one pound!! Not tons I know, but that was from this past wednesday. So i'm happy about that. I am only going to weigh once a week from now on.
THank-you for your advice everyone. I'm definitely going to try to do these things the next time i'm out with friends.
Glenda - I'm kind of following a low carb diet, so you're right, i can just remember than i can have a nice steak! I can eat things i really like still.
Next time i go out for supper, i think i'll either see if someone wants to split it, or ask for a leftovers box right away. i dont think i can not eat it if it's sitting on the plate! Know what i mean! LOL

Thanks thanks thanks everyone!!!

Kitty
Old 08-15-2005, 01:48 AM   #9  
Laura

I am right there with you when you say you have problems stopping eating! HELLO! That's ME!

I have really REALLY improved about not eating things that I don't LOVE though. You know, sometimes if you order fries, they just aren't that great - now I'll leave them, whereas before I would eat them anyway. That's just an example. However, I'm still terrible about stopping eating when it's something that's delicious! I just can't help myself. Thankfully (I guess...) we have two small children and don't get out to restaurants much anymore but unfortunately I'm a really good cook. But, it's usually something healthy so it doesn't do too much damage...but I'm working on that.

When I did WW a few years ago, I did exactly what Howie suggested when I would eat out - I'd ask for a to go box WITH my meal (which got me some weird looks ) and I would portion out a reasonable amount before I started eating and put the rest in the box and then NOT OPEN THE BOX! I'd have it for lunch the next day usually. That really does work! And then you realize how MUCH you were eating before you started doing that.

It's good that you are analyzing what you want to change - I think that's a huge key to success - it's all a learning process.
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:34 AM   #10  
Down-Sizing Me

for the pound lost! Sure, It's one, but it's a loss.. and that's great.. I take them as I get them and 1 at a time is kewl.. cause this isn't a sprint race.. it's a marathon.. It's not about fast.. it's steady.. I didn't put my weight on overnight.. and it's not leaving that way either.. Though I wish it would..

I like the idea about having the to go box delivered with the meal.. Most meals really do have portions that are too big..

Just think, Kitty.. How jealous your friends will be when you sit there eating that steak and losing weight too.. I usally ask for a double order of the veggies or a salad in place of the rice/pototo/pasta that they have with the meal..

*hugs*

Glenda
glendajoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:33 AM   #11  
Downsizing Dee!

Ah Kitty, don't beat yourself up too badly. You've been given some great advice, just keep at it and before you know it you'll have the power you need to resist anything and make better choices.

~Dee
newfiedarling is offline   Reply With Quote