Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

View Poll Results: Is it ok to starve yourself when needed?
Yes 1 5.26%
No 18 94.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #1  
Ugly Fat Chick

Arrow I Am New Here And Are Depressed!!!

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=Magenta] Ok check it I am 22. I weigh 270. And I am severely depressed. I haven't eaten anything in two weeks and when I do eat I purge so that can't be healthy. I am really looking for some friends or support that evidentally I can't find here.
manicgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:13 AM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Samantha
it is never NEVER ok to starve yourself. it's ok to eat healthy and less if you so desire but Starving is Ludicrous and probably exacerbates your depression
I'm Kierie I'm 29 and you are in the right place. Are you getting help for your depression? that might be a good place to start.
I'm goign to start our Daily Thread Feel free to Join in.
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:16 AM   #3  
Ugly Fat Chick

Yea I am on a whole bunch of antidepressants but I am just tired of being fat.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #4  
Ugly Fat Chick

Old 08-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Samantha,

why don't you come join us on the daily thread!

It is NEVER ok to starve yourself! Nothing good can possibly come of it, and one of the many negative things it will do is slow down your metabolism and backfire on you! And I'm sure it has made your depression even worse!

Why not count your calories, eat healthy food and get some exercise? Isn't that something that you could do long term? You cannot possibly keep on not eating!

There are healthy & reasonable ways to do this and you are in the right place to figure it all out.

hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:34 AM   #6  
prepare for the BEST time

Hi Sam; (OK with that name?)

I hear you, I'm tired of being overweight too......I think we all are and that's why we are here...to get support to change our bodies. The real truth is that you can't change the big picture overnight, but you can take CONTROL and use a logical approach to have bigtime success.....

Starving yourself means you are losing muscle, ultimately you do more damage by not eating....but it's WHAT you eat that counts....I'm sure you're an intelligent woman and know the drill.....

Ask yourself, how bad do you want to lose weight? how important is it too you? Then begin a plan that works for you....Go and talk to your doctor, see if they would approve a prescription intervention (if you wanted that possibility). 270 is a significant amount and taking control now means better health and less problems....along with the asthetics of looking good!

"a whole bunch" of anti-depressants"? what specifically? how long? do you think they help? do you have family support?

BTW, we're here every day, so please join us.....we're all different ages (I'm 48----but my head is can be very young)...we'll cheer you on for every lb. you lose!
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:45 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

Starving yourself isn't the answer. It's self-destructive. Even if you managed to lose weight, such a method will only make the problems that cause your depression worse. It will destroy your heath, and because it's not something that anyone can ever possibly hope to maintain (and survive), it can only offer a temporary solution.

Losing weight won't solve your problems either. It helps...a lot...but it's not a cure for the things that cause us pain...so it's NOT WORTH IT under ANY circumstances to starve yourself.

Eat...but eat healthily.

I've lived with terrible depression most of my life and the ONLY thing that really helps (and isn't just some momentary fix that ends up leaving me yet again abandoned to the wasteland of my own despair) is to GET UP and GET MOVING and GET DOING THINGS!
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #8  
prepare for the BEST time

I agree about moving and mood...I always have an improved outlook after exercise, it does lift me up.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #9  
Ugly Fat Chick

I do workout 2 hours daily. It doesn't seem to be helping all that much.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 PM   #10  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

You've lost 21 pounds thats a great accomplishment. Weight Loss is slow if you want it to stay off. What kind of workout are you doing ? does it involve Cardio? Talk to your Dr and see if you can come up with a plan.
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Sam,

NO !! its not okay to starve yourself. The health risks are not worth it. Please see your doctor and get some professional help. You'll be glad you did. Post here with the girls, they'll cheer you up

HUGS
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 03:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 366/359/175

Height: 5'8"

[QUOTE=manicgurl]I do workout 2 hours daily. It doesn't seem to be helping all that much.
QUOTE]

Are you having fun at the exercise you're doing? Fun is important! If you're bored and just dragging yourself through each one, try something different.

Also, occupy yourself. Find enjoyable things to do other than eat or be depressed. I enjoy painting, pottery, poetry, photography, and drawing. Filling my time with these creative pursuits helps me a lot.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote