Exercise! - Joining Curves

View Full Version : Joining Curves

Ice Princess
08-09-2005, 10:08 PM
Jioning Curves want to know anybody else is doing or have tried and if any luck gonna try it till new years and see so thats 5 months ;)

almostheaven
08-09-2005, 10:39 PM
I joined May 4 and have been doing it all through my pregnancy. I needed something that would keep me exercising but not be too taxing. The 30 minute workout is just right, and I can make it as easy or intense as I choose. Knowing that I'm paying, and that I have to leave the house to do it, rather than sit at home planning to take a walk or do a video, gets me going. It gives you time to talk with the other gals...a more relaxing exercise atmosphere. But you'll get out of it what you put into it. If you don't work the machines fast enough, you won't fatique your muscles as much and it won't do as much good.

Yael
08-09-2005, 11:14 PM
And its BORING, BORING, BORING!!!!

But if you want a less intense workout and plan on mixing it up with other exercise, it will probably work for you short term.

AngelKisssezz
08-09-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't do it, I joined the YMCA....but I've heard nothing but great things about it from the people that I know that have signed up!!

almostheaven
08-10-2005, 09:45 AM
2 years of Curves...
And its BORING, BORING, BORING!!!!
I can see I'm gonna have to have a talk with you woman. :lol: You finding your way around this place yet?

If you lived close enough, I'd get ya to go to Curves with me and show you how to get the intensity out of it. Heck, they have to jump onto me because while my heart rate is supposed to be 18 - 21, I don't tell them that I'm usually running around 22 - 24 beats. :lol:

momX3
08-10-2005, 12:52 PM
I have been going to curves since April 22. I also do cardio on the days I don't go to curves and I have lost 43 pounds. I have muscles that are all due to curves. I say give it a chance but like almostheaven says really work the machines and please rest on the boards. I see so many ladies working really hard on the boards when they are there only to keep your heart rate up. If you use curves the way it is supposed to be used you will see results if you don't then you won't.

Good Luck with whatever you do.

Schatzi
08-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm moving next week down to North Carolina, and noticed that there is a Curves about 10 minutes away from my house.. I've heard great things about Curves and after reading.. I think I'll give it a shot.. But why is it boring...? Do they offer anything else besides the 30 minute workout, like aerobics ? Is it the same workout everytime? Can you pay monthly or do you have to pay for a year "membership"... I checked out the curves site, but they don't give you much information there... Thanks for any info!

Momx3 - Wow, your loss is inspiring! :D

P.S. What are "the boards"?

Meldiggety
08-10-2005, 02:56 PM
I don't think it's boring, I mean, a workout is a workout! Exercise in general isn't the funnest, but when I went to Curves it was nice because you change stations every 30 seconds and it only takes 30 minutes to do. It's convenient and you do get results. Whatever works!

slimcharm
08-10-2005, 03:05 PM
I hated Curves. Thought it was boring boring boring...but I know other people who love it..so its good to find out how you feel about it.

WaterRat
08-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I too thought it was boring. No, Schatzi, they offer only the 30 minute circuit of machines. You do 30 seconds on a machine, then 30 seconds on a board doing low-impact stuff, enough to keep your heart rate up, then move to the next machine. They play music with a beep to clue you to move and every so many 30 seconds they cue a heart rate check. Here's what I didn't like about it:

1. No variety. Same machines, same routine every time.
2. To increase the intensity of the machines you have to move them faster (they're hydrualic). It gets harder to go fast enough and keep good form. If you're not working your muscles to fatigue then you stop building muscle. I saw lots of sloppy form which can lead at worst to injury and certainly to not targeting the muscle you're supposed to be working. On the reverse side, some women never even attempt to work harder, and basically they're wasting their time and money. If they're just there for the socialization, fine, but they're kidding themselves if they think they're exercising.
3. The Curves in my town is run by teen-agers! They get so busy talking to their friends (there and on the phone) that they don't pay attention to the women working out. They play the same music over and over (though they have a number of CDs to choose from) and they act irritated if someone has a question or asks to have the music changed. Plus when I was going it wasn't clean. They've moved to a new building and that part may have changed.

Didn't mean to write a book here. Obviously I didn't enjoy my Curves experience even more than I thought I didn't! :) I now belong to a "regular" gym and enjoy working out with free weights and doing a variety of exercises and a choice of cardio.

almostheaven
08-10-2005, 04:36 PM
I see so many ladies working really hard on the boards when they are there only to keep your heart rate up.
Don't talk about me like that. :lol: I'm so used to cardio, I do work the machines extra hard, but I feel if my heart rate isn't above their suggested range, I'm not doing enough, so I jog on the recovery stations. I get my rate up 2 or 3 beats past where it's supposed to be...I just don't tell em. LOL

Do they offer anything else besides the 30 minute workout, like aerobics ? Is it the same workout everytime? Can you pay monthly or do you have to pay for a year "membership"...
You always do the same machines, with a recovery station between each, where you can either dance, relax, jog, walk, whatever. What keeps it fun for many is just the camaraderie you get being in the circle with all the other ladies.

Membership is $150 to join, but they usually have that going for half price, especially if you see an ad on it locally. Then it's $29 every month. You can put your membership on hold and not incur any charges if something comes up that you can't utilize it for a short period...ie: medical reasons, out of town, whatever.

On the reverse side, some women never even attempt to work harder, and basically they're wasting their time and money. If they're just there for the socialization, fine, but they're kidding themselves if they think they're exercising.
This is what I was talking about somewhere in another thread about those not sweating. So many just get to talking and don't pay attention to the fact that they're just not working hard. Or, they just never bother working hard. They seem sleepy and bored and don't put anything into it. And if you don't put anything in, you're not likely to get anything out of it.

The Curves in my town is run by teen-agers! They get so busy talking to their friends (there and on the phone) that they don't pay attention to the women working out. They play the same music over and over (though they have a number of CDs to choose from) and they act irritated if someone has a question or asks to have the music changed. Plus when I was going it wasn't clean.
I would suggest that anyone facing such problems transfer their membership to another location. They're all over the place, so it's likely you have more than 1 location near you. I had a problem with the one I did attend and so transferred my membership. The ladies there are very attentive to be sure you're doing the workouts correctly. The owner doesn't like the equipment being used incorrectly and keeps on them about it. Remember they're are individual franchises and each owner may have different rules or some may be lax. Of the 3 I've been to, all of them also use CD changers, so the music cycles between many CDs. They've been very attentive to the members and requests, like turning up the air, changing CDs, etc. It's even been so extremely hot here that air doesn't always cut it, so they've taken to turning off one bank of lights, keeping it a bit dimmer inside but cutting down on the heat given off.

Personally, I like it. However, it wouldn't be my first choice. Being pregnant right now however, it's the better choice. I wanted something that would motivate me to go exercise. I prefer a more intense and longer workout, but I'm simply not capable of doing more intense and longer at this point. So it's perfect for the moment. When I'm back to my regular exercise, I'd likely prefer a gym setting. My problem with gyms however is that I focus too much on cardio and not much on strength, so I may even need a combination. LOL Now if only my wallet would handle it.

Schatzi
08-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Thankyou Ladies! I now have a better feel for what Curves has to offer. We will have a community gym that costs 10 a month, I understand that they are going to add some aerobic classes ..so maybe I will combine the two..

WaterRat
08-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Almostheaven, I live in Alaska, so the next 2 nearest Curves are 11 and 30 miles away! But I know in other places there are more closer together. I agree with what you say and it can be good exercise, especially for those just starting out (or needing something while pg :) ). Like I said I had problems with the one in my town, which didn't improve much even after I talked to the owner, and so when my membership year was up, I moved on. We're all different, and I applaud everyone who's out there doing something, anything, for exercise. :)

nhwahm
08-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I loved Curves - if you find it boring, make a friend (or friends) and laugh the time/exercises away. That made it SOOOO Much fun!

Louella

almostheaven
08-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Almostheaven, I live in Alaska
Why on earth would anyone wanna live there? :lol: And I thought NH was bad enough.

WaterRat
08-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Ha! :lol: I lived in NH for 2+ years and you're right! It's as cold there in winter, but hotter in the summer, and at least Alaska's economy is better. seriously, there are lots of good things about living in Alaska - winter's not one of them though! :)

Mercee
08-11-2005, 11:32 AM
I simply love Curves. It's the best.

Schatzi
08-11-2005, 11:37 AM
I'll report back once I join and get a week or 2 under my belt~
Water Rat: You have a twin in PA! I swear you look just like a friend/coworker " Carol".. I had to do a double take :lol: :lol:
And I for one was always fascinated by Alaska and you hearty Alaskan souls! I think it must be quite an adventure or so very beautiful and uncluttered with people and things! I got hooked on Discovery Channels "The Deadliest Catch" and Kodiak /Unalaska..I would love to do a cruise/kayak trip there.. :)

WaterRat
08-11-2005, 02:02 PM
You have a twin in PA! I swear you look just like a friend/coworker " Carol".. I had to do a double take
Now there's a fact that'd scare my DH! :lol

Both Kodiak and Unalaska are quite far from me, though I know people in both places. I'm just 45 miles northeast of Anchorage, so not so far out in the "boonies."

Schatzi
08-11-2005, 02:10 PM
Pat Pat the Water Rat, Your story intrigues me..you moved from NH or the lower 48 to ALASKA? Do tell? What prompted such a move?
Anchorage... I ww rafted down the Colorado with a Dentist from Anchorage..We called him Dr Dan, Dang if I can remember his last name...

WaterRat
08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Schatzi, I pm's you, as we're getting waaay off topic.

fikustrees
08-12-2005, 11:18 AM
I feel like I should tell you that I wouldn't join curves since I read in that they turn some of their profits over to anti-abortion groups. Here is an article that shows both sides of the controversy. http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/1844/context/archive

almostheaven
08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
"Yet, others say leaving Curves ends up hurting the people, often women, who own the franchises, not Heavin. Erica Lyon, a franchise owner in Seattle, said that she has to pay her $395 a month to Curves International for the remaining eight years of her 10-year contract even if all of her members bail.

"Economically, by quitting your Curves membership you're not impacting him at all because regardless of what you do, I will have to pay him my fees for the next eight years," said Lyon.

Lyon plunked down $20,000 to get the franchise and signed a 10-year contract as well as a non-compete clause that keeps her from closing her Curves and opening a new club under a different name."

Ice Princess
08-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Ok Ladies I have joined Curves, here are my starting stats,
Weight 264 lbs
Bust 52.25
Waist 47.25
Abdomen 54.5
Hips 52.5
Thighs 31.75
Arms 16
Body Fat % 43.8
BMI 40.2
Did my first work out and I loved it my heart beat was above the target rate, gonna go every second day till kids are back in school and on regular routine then gonna go every day just fro the cardio and i piad for it so em gonna use it and lose it. I thought it was fun i love the hydrolics cause you cant lose your form like free weights. wish me luck on my wiegh tloss journey.

MrsJim
08-15-2005, 11:35 PM
If you're still undecided, you might want to check out this thread on LWL:

Curves or Regular Gym? (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60172)

Of particular interest (since they are both certified personal trainers) are Mel's (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=881343&postcount=5) and Meg's (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showpost.php?p=881375&postcount=6) responses - I thought Meg's perspective (that of training a Curves MANAGER who needed a trainer to teach her!) was very interesting indeed:

Hi Chimo! Since MrsJ volunteered me ;) , Iím happy to throw in my two cents (along with the excellent advice you got from the other posters).

Iíve never done a Curves workout myself, though Iíve been in Curves and seen the equipment. I work as a trainer at a large, traditional gym and recently got two new clients who had been Curves regulars for 18 months but were frustrated by their lack of progress. So I have a few thoughts to pass along based on what theyíve shared with me about Curves workouts and what I've observed (please note Ė Iím sure that different Curves are managed differently and people have different experiences).

Lack of educated or trained personnel: at least at this particular Curves, there werenít any trainers or anyone teaching or knowledgeable about exercise. My clients werenít shown proper use of the machines, correct exercise techniques, and no one explained anything to them about what they were doing or why. They didnít know anything about the basics of exercise and I was shocked that neither knew where their triceps are -- after 18 months of exercise! :eek:

My clientsí body fat percentages were checked monthly at Curves but no one ever explained to them what the number meant (fat pounds versus lean body mass) or how their body fat percent compared to other women their age or what a healthy body fat percent is. It was only a number to them.

The manager of one of the local Curves recently joined my gym and became a personal training client (not mine) because Ė as she told us Ė she doesnít know anything about exercise and needs a trainer to teach her. She told us that employees at her Curves are hired as salespeople, not as trainers or educators. She's made some fabulous progress in the past two months. :)

Lack of variety: itís the same workout, over and over and over again. As with any workout in any gym, your body adapts and your progress stops. At Curves, there isnít any way to change up or progress the exercises, split up the body parts, alter the tempo or intensity, increase weights, use drop sets or supersets, or do any of the thousands of tricks we do in the gym to progress an exercise program.

Perhaps this could be a reason why my clients saw no improvement despite 18 months of regular Curves attendance (3 Ė 5 times per week)?

Limited equipment: my clients estimated that there were eight machines in a circle, three of which were ab machines. In addition to the ab machines, this Curves had a leg extension machine, inner thighs, biceps, chest press, and shoulder press. Which means that there weren't any machines for back, hamstrings, or triceps (which is probably why my clients didnít know what their triceps were). Not only does this kind of workout neglect critical muscle groups, but itís downright dangerous. Muscles work in pairs Ė an agonist and an antagonist. Hamstrings and quads. Biís and triís. Back and chest. If you strengthen one muscle group and not the other, youíll create muscle imbalances that can lead to joint dysfunction and injury.

Iím not very familiar with hydraulic equipment so canít really speak to its effectiveness. But I was alarmed by the bad form that my clients brought to our equipment (shoulders hunched or elevated, knees buckling in during squats, head and neck forward, pelvic tilt, going at warp speed with no control over the machine etc) and itís taking quite a bit of time to re-teach them the correct ways to exercise.

Lack of cardio: itís not enough or intense enough cardio. Curves cardio, at least at this facility, is 30 seconds of marching in place between machines. Effective cardio raises your heart rate to somewhere between 65% and 90% of its maximum (max heart rate is 220 minus your age) and sustains it there for a period of time. I doubt that you can elevate your heart rate sufficiently with 30 seconds of marching in place. And my opinion is that the minimum amount of cardio needed for fat loss Ė the bare bones minimum Ė is thirty minutes, three times a week. Five times a week would be preferable.

I did a cardiovascular fitness test on my two clients and both scored in the ĎPoorí range for their age groups, despite 18 months of Curves workouts.

However, despite all that I said above, I think that Curves can be a way for a woman to get started in an exercise program, especially one who isnít comfortable in a real gym. Some exercise is always better than none! But, as certified personal trainer, I have some hesitations about the safety and efficacy of Curves workouts.

I want to include a link to a balanced and excellent review (http://www.fitren.com/res3ask.cfm?compid=18&qaid=194) of Curves written by well-known fitness expert Tom Venuto.

My advice would be the same for someone considering a traditional gym: I believe that most Curves (and the other 'circuit fitness' storefronts opening under different names lately) generally run specials which include at least one or two free visits (most gyms would offer anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks). If that is at ALL possible, I HIGHLY recommend that you do the entire trial period offered to see if Curves (or 24 Hour, or Jazzercise, or Slender Lady, or Gold's, etc) is really something you can keep doing regularly. You might find that you don't care for the music, or the hours that they're open aren't convenient for you, or the other people are too chatty, or whatever...if you don't like a place, more than likely you'll end up just wasting your money. And also - I'd like to add this - I know a LOT of gals are intimidated by the thought of going to a 'real' gym. I would ask you to put those fears aside - most gyms are WELL AWARE of your fears and the folks who work there (especially at places like the Y) endeavor to ensure that members and prospective members feel as comfortable as possible while working to attain their fitness goals. :)

almostheaven
08-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Since it's a franchise business, it's up to the individual owners as to what they put into their branch. The two I've attended both require their staff to be trained in the use of the equipment and they are very anal about watching the group to be sure each person is working the equipment correctly. They will constantly correct your form. They post charts to show proper useage of each piece as well.

As well, one had 13 pieces and another had 14. I'd say one with 8 is very limited and on a tight budget.

CrazyRai
08-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Hello, I just found this site, after searching endlessly for somekind of Curves support group kinda thing....
I decided to join Curves today after going through a full workout with the staff at my location, and decided that I need to bite the bullet and get better!
So my weight is out of control at 280, and i'm taking charge.
I really hope after a month i see some results or i may cry...!

CrazyRai

Ice Princess
08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Good for you Crazyrai, I love it. We are kinda close in weight maybe we have the same goal to? 150 but will settle at 199 for a while.LOL anythign under 200. I have only been there 2 1/2 weeks but I love it it keeps me going so far. I have went 6 times in the last 2 weeks, I want to work up to going every day, starting in September when the kids go back to school, and get soem kind of routine going. Best of Luck, if you need support let me know.

LovesBassets
08-23-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I've never gone to Curves (I belong to a *regular* gym), but I wanted to maybe echo a little bit of what Mrs.Jim said. About 6 months ago, a Curves opened up just down the street from my gym. I was talking to one of the trainers (at my gym) recently and he said that MOST of their new clients over the last few months have been what he called "refugees from Curves," and that a lot of these women had sustained injuries on the hydraulic machines because they were never fully and properly trained to use them. It also really bothered him (and ME) that the person who owns the franchise needs no exercise background at all. None. He said that the employees need to know CPR, and that's it. Which makes me worry...

I know it's a franchise, and that the gym can only be as good as the franchise owner and that MANY Curves are probably very professionally run, but I just wanted to throw this info out there. I hope I haven't offended anyone or anything because (as I said) I've never been to Curves.

But I MUST add that I DO think it's a great place to START. As other people have said, when you're starting out it's all about moving, moving, moving!! Plus, I think the whole concept of a women-only gym is fantastic because I know that it really appeals to women who don't want to work out with a bunch of buff guys around -- that can feel really intimidating. Believe me, I know. I put off joining a gym FOREVER because of "those" guys. ;)

So whatever you choose, and whatever WORKS FOR YOU :D :D :D is the right choice!!!!! Congrats on making that first big step!!

CrazyRai
08-23-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks Ice Princess, I went today for my first real workout, and I really like it because it moves along so quickly, that for me i don't get bored, i did 2.5 times around the circuit today and i really had fun, i'm going to go 4 times a week.
My biggest concern is that after a month there will be no change, and if thats the case i'll have a break down..:::)
But i know i'm trying my hardest when i'm on the machines, so thats what counts.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-leopard/luck02/lb/280/175/280/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

FatVictoria
08-24-2005, 12:18 AM
Jioning Curves want to know anybody else is doing or have tried and if any luck gonna try it till new years and see so thats 5 months ;)

i joined Curves last year. They got my started on this fitness kick. I lost very little (less than 4 pounds) the first month. I thought I was eating healthy - ha! My diet was almost totally carbs. So I started Atkins and then the weight started dropping off around me!

I got bored with Curves after about 8 months and since I'd signed a year contract I was stuck. I transferred to 24 Hour Fitness and ended up paying for both memberships for a couple of months until my membership at Curves ran out.

It's a good place to start, but not a place to stay if you get easily bored, plus I need to change up my routine to keep my body guessing and Curves doesn't have that option. At 24 Hour I walk in and just do whatever I feel like that day.

FatVictoria
08-24-2005, 12:22 AM
Since it's a franchise business, it's up to the individual owners as to what they put into their branch. The two I've attended both require their staff to be trained in the use of the equipment and they are very anal about watching the group to be sure each person is working the equipment correctly. They will constantly correct your form. They post charts to show proper useage of each piece as well.

As well, one had 13 pieces and another had 14. I'd say one with 8 is very limited and on a tight budget.

8 is the minimum. Most clubs start with 8 and add as they can.

FatVictoria
08-24-2005, 01:10 AM
I've never gone to Curves (I belong to a *regular* gym), but I wanted to maybe echo a little bit of what Mrs.Jim said. About 6 months ago, a Curves opened up just down the street from my gym. I was talking to one of the trainers (at my gym) recently and he said that MOST of their new clients over the last few months have been what he called "refugees from Curves," and that a lot of these women had sustained injuries on the hydraulic machines because they were never fully and properly trained to use them. It also really bothered him (and ME) that the person who owns the franchise needs no exercise background at all. None. He said that the employees need to know CPR, and that's it. Which makes me worry...
How on God's green earth do you hurt yourself on a hydrolic machine? I mean, they are created to reduce the chance of injury over "regular" machines and it would seem to me you'd have to actually try to injure yourself.

And so the person needs no background. So what? Many are women owning small businesses for the first time in their life. The lady who owns the one I went to was losing weight along with the rest of us. I saw her shrink before my eyes.

LovesBassets
08-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Hi Victoria,

I have no idea how these people hurt themselves :?: . And I agree that it's fantastic that so many people (women, especially!) are out there owning their own businesses for the first time...great point. :) But I do think that having a management team that's trained in exercise physiology and/or the fitness field is really important in a gym environment.

Just my opinion :) . Like I said, I've never been to Curves -- I just wanted to pass on the info.

Ice Princess
08-25-2005, 10:59 PM
:woo::encore::cheer: on your goal
I also think it is agreat palce to start, and get you moving on a regular basis thats why I am there, maybe i will change to a regualr gym but for now it perfect and I love it.

Joaninha
08-25-2005, 11:33 PM
Hello ladies,
I am new here, and was just talking to my friend today about Curves. I was thinking about joining at least to get some kind of exercise going. I have a lot of gadgets at home, but always find something else to do. I work night shift at a Hospital and there is a Curves on my way home, so I was thinking that I could stop by on my way home and do it. At least I know I'll be exercising 3 days a week.
My friend did it for awhile and liked it very much. She only stoped going there because she could only go at lunch time and the one near her house closes for lunch! (Can you believe it?).

CrazyRai
08-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Well today was my 5th day of Curves, i gathered up enough guts to be measured and to be weighed in on their scale, after many days of weighing myself and getting used to what the scale said, I just want to get the full affect and know that when they measure me and weigh me in a month it will be official..I really hope i loose something.!
i'm finally getting compfy going to Curves and I even moved up from marching in place to a slow trot of sorts, so i'm happy about that...

Good luck to everyone out there and i'll check in soon!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-retro/fireworks01/lb/280/175/280/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

Ice Princess
08-30-2005, 01:19 PM
:dancer: Good for you keep it up :cheer:

CrazyRai
09-07-2005, 01:05 AM
Hey Ice Princess everybody else, well i'm feeling a little dissapointed today, and i'll tell ya why, so i've been working out for like 3 weeks, going to Curves 4 times a week, watching my eating, and weighing myself everyday, so Labor day weekend i decide not to weigh myself, and be surprised Tuesday Morning when i take my shower and such to weigh myself...
So i weigh myself today and i'm still at 280...not even ONE pound lost!
I'm feeling crushed, not sure if i should continue, i did workout today, but my mood was very somber....
Maybe it's too soon to loose anything, but i would have thought a pound or 2 wouldn't be out of the question...
I'm sorry i just had to vent for a bit and i knew that everybody must have felt at some point the way i do...

Thanks

http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/bar-retro/fireworks01/lb/280/175/280/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

FatVictoria
09-07-2005, 08:03 PM
I couldn't hardly lose anything until I started really agressive dieting. The on;y that helped me was a complete overhaul in my diet. COMPLETE overhaul. Working out is good and all, but until I started really dieting, I didn't lose. I hardly lost anything simply by "watching what I eat." I was still eating way too much of the wrong foods to lose anything.

CrazyRai
09-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I'am beyond "watching what i'm eating" that's called a figure of speech....
I was looking for some support, from ICEPRINCESS.....or anyone else that's supportive, and that can feel or has felt what i'm going through....

Good Day

CrazyRai

FatVictoria
09-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I do understand because I joined Curves and lost hardly anything after the first month. I was devastated. Here I was watching what I was eating and working my butt off 3 times a week...I just knew I'd lose a lot of weight, or at least gain some muscle. Instead, I hardly lost anything. THAT'S why I completely changed my diet because what I was doing wasn't really doing anything except giving me a better fitness level.

The best thing Curves did for me was get me started excercising and excited about working out. I was a member for a year.

Journey2Emo
09-09-2005, 11:33 AM
I joined Curves about 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it! I couldn't be happier with it. I've got two people to join with me. I was always so scared to be weighed, but they made me feel so comfortable. My girlfriend joined about 3 weeks ago with me and has lost 7lbs. They do tell you that the first month you may lose lbs or inches or both. I am pretty sure I've lost quite a bit of inches, so that's good! Poundage wise, it looks like I've lost maybe two. I've noticed that I am being able to work the machines faster. I love the resistance training, as I am a TRUE CLUTZ I haven't hurt myself (except for running incorrectly on the resistance boards). :-p

Take care,
Tia

almostheaven
09-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Crazy, don't focus so much on the weight, but have you also "measured"? You can lose inches and still not lose weight. Especially if you're new to exercise. At first, it may just be the toning redistributing your weight. Pay attention to how your clothes are feeling after awhile. You can still not lose weight and yet your clothes can get looser. If you go quite awhile with no weight change OR inches, then you might want to consider changing your calories to more/less (sometimes you can actually be eating too few calories) and/or increasing your exercise. Curves is actually good...for strength training. But you probably need to add some cardio to go with it. On the days you don't do Curves, try walking or exercise videos or something to get your heart rate up.

kitkatbahr
09-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Hi,

I started back with Curves about 3 weeks ago after a long break, about 6 months. Also, I joined a regular gym that has an indoor walking track, pool, etc. I walk at least a half mile a day, working up to a mile. Go to Curves min. 3 times a week. As of today, I also joined Tae Kwon Do with my son and husband (they joined four weeks ago and talked me into doing it). Those classes are 3-4 times a week for 1/2 hour and/or 45 min. depending on the class.

So, I was wondering what other people did instead of just Curves, or, rather in addition to Curves, specifically, if anyone does Tae Kwon Do and how that works for you, how long you have been doing it, if you like it, etc.

Thanks.
Kathy
Merritt Island, FL

At one time (about 4 years ago) I weighed 385 at my top weight. I am currently at 233 lbs and hope to get down to about 160-180. Not too picky. My biggest goal is to just get HEALTHY!

kitkatbahr
09-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I meant I weighed 285 about 4 years ago, NOT 385. Sorry for the typo.

Kathy
Merritt Island, FL

BethG2
09-11-2005, 05:16 PM
If you are a really social person and just getting going with fitness Curves is really great. I didn't like it because it lacked variety and I just wanted to be left alone to sweat in peace. It was little too rah-rah for me.

momX3
09-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Kitkat - I do curves 3 times a week. I also have a treadmill and an elliptical at home that I use. I do WATP tapes and Tae Bo. I basically do whatever I feel like doing that day. I work out 6 days a week. Also I used to do Taekwondo. I have a black belt but kind of got out of it. It is an excellent thing to do with your family my husband, daughter and son also did it with me. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :D