General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 08-09-2005, 03:52 PM   #1  

Default Southbeach/gi/Low Carb Diet ???????

I have been wondering which diet would be best for me to follow. I was thinking about South Beach while watching calories anyway. Then I start wondering about the GI diet. Is this really better and does it really work? I know why south beach works but why does the GI seem good to follow? Is it harder or easier to follow than the SB diet?
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:51 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

As far as what is easier to follow, that is a really personal question. You have to research and figure out what would be easier for YOU.
For instance, a friend of my husband's followed Atkin's and he thought it was easy. He simply ate meat and veggies, and didn't have to think about anything. Me, on the other hand-cutting out fruit and yogurt and whole grains for 2 weeks on the Atkins induction period-I would probably chew off my arm. What works for everyone is very much a personal decision.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:05 PM   #3  

I just read the SB book and tried it this past week and at first it was okay until the cravings kicked in. I guess I do love the carbs after all. So, would anyone say that I would be better off with the GI diet due to my carb cravings.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

South Beach allows carbs, but low GI type carbs once you get onto phase 2...but Phase 1 is really difficult for a carb craver as Atkins. Except, you are allowed nuts and a serving of yogurt, I think it is?
Once you are on Phase 2 you are allowed to slowly add in carbohydrates to a level that you can handle and still lose weight. For some that may mean one or two carb servings a day, for others 3 or 4. But-all good carbs such as fresh fruit, brown rice, oatmeal, etc.
If you can make it to Phase 2 South Beach can be very bearable and healthful-but if you can't go through the Phase 1 part of South Beach, then low GI may be better for you.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

South Beach diet is a low GI diet and a lower carb diet then the average diet. Not that it is a "low carb diet", (it's good carbs) just lower then the standard American diet.

Read the books, see what you can handle. Remember when you are losing weight, it has to be a permenant change, it's not something you go on and then go off again. That's what causes so much of the weight gain after you lose. Find what looks good to you and stick with it the rest of your life.

Good luck
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote