Support Groups - ~~ The Thin Group #4 ~~ (thin wannabees)

CJ
08-08-2005, 11:46 PM
http://my.core.com/~cjlem/welcomedollz1.gif

Hello and welcome to the Thin Group! :cheer:

We are a friendly group of ladies who have one thing in common. We are all working together toward our goal of being healthier in our daily lifestyles and to lose weight. There are all different ages and backgrounds here and we all have different ways of losing our weight. We all love to have fun and laugh, but we also give a lot of support, encouragement and motivation for one another, not just in weight loss, but in all of our daily joys and struggles.

Everyone has their ups and downs and we’ll be here with you thru both! Please feel free to post with us - just jump right in and believe me, you will be welcomed with open arms. The more the merrier!

So please join us and let's work together towards a healthier us in 2005! :gossip:

Please feel free to check out our website and learn more about us at: The Thin Group

http://my.core.com/~cjlem/thin2.gif

CJ
08-08-2005, 11:48 PM
OK gals .. a new week and a new thread! Don't forget to go to the last thread #3 and check for any posts that you may have missed. Let's all stay OP this week and get our exercising in and drink drink drink that water!

Love,CJ

janicej
08-09-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm trying to lose weight by cutting carbs. How many carbs can I eat a day and still lose weight? I started dieting 2 weeks ago. I loss 5 pounds the first week but the second week I didn't lose anything. I haven't been eating junk food but I have had some fruit. I exercise 3-4 days a week for a half hour plus I do a lot of gardening so I am getting some exercise. Since I stopped eating sweets, all the cravings have gone which is great!!! I really do have a sweet tooth. I was able to go shopping yesterday and passed up all kinds of goodies. My husband is diabetic so I shouldn't be bringing any of that stuff home. He also has a sweet tooth but isn't too good about passing up sweets. I worry about him because he doesn't manage his condition very well. Both of my parents were diabetic. My mom died last year due to complications. I need to watch my weight or I may end up like my mom and dad. I really feel best when I don't eat the sweets, but I start to feel like I don't want to eat any food when I have to cut so many carbs. I really get tired of all the meat. I guess I feel like I need more variety. Do you have any good receipes for low carb dieting. I tried eating the low carb bread but it is so chewy. I don't like the texture. I guess I'll just eat high fiber regular bread and eat less of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
janicej

CJ
08-09-2005, 01:37 PM
Oh good - someone who is also doing lo-carb! Janice, when I am good I am very very good, but, once I get off-track, it takes me a while to get back on. Today is day 2 of being back on program and I'm so glad to have a lo-carb buddy. We can help each other. I don't actually count my carbs cuz I just know when I'm doing well but I would think if you stayed around 30 carbs you could lose wt. I also don't like to eat a lot of meat and get tired of eggs all the time. I stick to mainly fish and chicken mostly when I do have it. I do have some pretty neat lo-carb recipes if you would like me to post them. Brownberry makes a pretty good multi-grain lo-carb bread but it's pretty hard to find. When we were downstate I stocked up on some but I don't have bread very often. I can do without. Just stay away from the white breads if you must have bread stick with the wheat or multi-grain. I don't eat potatoes either - well, once in a great while I will have a small amount but we haven't even been cooking potatoes at all. veggies with our meat, or cottage cheese. For when I get those I have to have a snack times I keep pork rinds on hand and like to dip them in sour cream. I always have sugar free jello in the refrig and of course whip cream (Land-O-Lakes makes a great 0 carb in the can made w/splenda). I also keep the carb-free ice cream bars w/almonds in the freezer and I usually have one of these at night for my special treat and sometimes I have one in the morning with my coffee and thats my breakfast. I have a couple books on lo-carb recipes so let me know what kind of recipes you want (dinners? desserts? ) and I'll look them up. Maybe I can even start a lo-carb recipe thread ... So, we'll be your "neighbors" eh? lol ... We live on 40 acres - all wooded. Our road is a dead-end and there is only 3 houses on this road. Quite a change from living in the big city where you walk out your side door - take 2 steps and run into the next door neighbors house! We love it!

Hope everyone is having a good day ... I'm going to go curl up and watch my soaps today - feeling lazy. Hubby is working so it's just me and my cat, Elgato. Talk to ya later...

Love, CJ

aivlys
08-09-2005, 01:55 PM
:wave: Hello Ladies!

I told you I would post again (sorry it wasn't sooner!). Life has been crazy. Since my parents are away, my sister has been taking care of their house (she is a teacher and is off for the Summer). Well, she and my other sister decided to go on vacation at the same time. I go up to take care of some of my Dad's bills and make sure the person who is supposed to feed the dogs feeds them. It was a mess! I guess he didn't close the gate when he left because when we got there, the dogs were running in the street. Marcel and I tried to get them but they ran off. So we tried to get them but those dogs were too fast for us (it was 100+ degrees). Luckily, they came back 30 minutes later. We were only supposed to be there for a couple of hours and then take Nico to Traintown. We stayed for 5 hours! The house was a mess. I can't believe that my sister let it go to h*ll. I know I shouldn't let it get to me but it did. My other sister wanted me to take care of some stuff for my Dad but I said no and told her to do it. She got pretty difficult and told me that she can't do it because she works and I have all the time in the world because I stay home with Nico. I hung up on her. I ignored her calls and finally spoke to her yesterday. I have been to nice to both of them and it;s time that they step up and help out.

We still aren't done with the kitchen. We need to finish the cabinets and the floor. It is coming along, slowly but surely. I can't really do anything with Nico around ... he just gets in the way. So we try to do what we can at night when Nico is sleeping.

I have been taking long walks just to get out of the house. Nico is getting another molar and is being VERY difficult. It doesn't help that I'm an emotional wreck (that time of the month) as it gets closer to Nico's second birthday. I can't believe he's two! Two years ago today I was admitted to the hospital to be induced. I remember running home and sending an e-mail to let people know. :sigh: I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about it.

Peggy- Wow, you're Mom is going through a lot. Just take it one day at a time. Remember to take some time for yourself when she moves in with you. It can be overwhelming.

CJ- BRAT, BRAT, BRAT! Just like old times, huh? :D You sure do love that hotub don't ya? :lol: I think you and Sharon should get those buttershots out again! I always loved to hear your stories when you got together!

Sharon- Hey woman! It sounds like you had a great time in Chicago. My youngest sister went to Loyola Maryomount in Los Angeles. How is Chrissy? I get e-mails from her every once in a while. I forgot ... Happy Belated Birthday! I hope you had a great day.

Synger- Nice to see you posting again. Keep up the good work.

Welcome Yvette and Janice! You will love it here!

Big hugd to all of you!

Sylvia

aivlys
08-09-2005, 01:57 PM
Has anyone heard from Judy (Blunder)? I've been thinking about her, Gayle and Jo. If you ladies are out there lurking, stop by and say hello! We miss you!

janicej
08-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Who makes carb free ice cream bars? I'd love to get some for a treat now and then. Maybe you can post some tasty low carb dinners. What foods are your comfort foods now that you are low carb dieting? I need to feel like I'm not dieting in order to stick to this plan. I guess I need to find some new things to eat that are low carb.
We just moved from the city 3 years ago. I've always lived in large cities so this is all new to me. Actually, we are only a couple miles from town, but we feel real isolated because we live on top of a hill that has very few houses on it. I'm surrounded by forest and maple trees. From our house I can see Mt St. Helens , Mt Adams and the Columbia River Gorge. It's beautiful up here but it can be lonely at times.
Janicej

Jane Howard
08-10-2005, 10:17 PM
I am also watching the carbs. I fell off the wagon on Monday and have not got back on it since. I need some accountability how about you ladies?
Would you mind if i posted what i ate each day and you all can keep me in check?
I am going thourgh a very stressful time and what do I do but eat to medicate the pain
I am back on the carb diet from this moment on!!

Love
Jayne

CJ
08-10-2005, 11:51 PM
Hi ladies ... in for a quick hi - can't stay long. But I promise I will stay longer tomorrow.

Slyvia:
Good to hear from you! Sorry about your difficulties with your sisters, but glad to hear you put your foot down and stood up for yourself. They need to do their part too. Sorry, I haven't heard from any of the girls, Judy, Gail, or Jo. Jo left for another group last year, but that group has folded and haven't see any other posts from her. Actually, I did hear from Judy last year, a real quick hi how are you on the MSN messenger. I tried to get her to come back and post but don't think she was into it.

Janice and Jane:
I started a weekly food journal thread for us to post what we are eating ... care to join me Im going to start tomorrow. The ice cream bars are made by Carb-Smart also Blue Bunny makes good ones too, they are called Carb Freedom. I guess my comfort foods are sugar-free jello with whip cream, or sugar-free pudding with whip cream. I like string cheese, and when I want something crunchy, I keep pork rinds handy and dip them in sour cream. Oh and almonds and macadamia nuts are a great snack when you are wanting a snack to munch. Tomorrow I will start a recipe thread and start putting in some low carb ones, ok?

Gotta go ... Take care!

Love, CJ

Jane Howard
08-11-2005, 08:24 AM
Hi Carol
Where do i go for the food journal. This sounds great exactly what i need accoutability. Thanks for doing!!
Jane

CJ
08-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Jane - the food journal thread is at the top of the page with the sticky posts! I stuck it there so you could find it. Good luck! I also started a Thin Group Healthy Recipes thread and stuck it too .. will add to it later.

CJ

janicej
08-12-2005, 07:23 PM
CJ,
Thanks for the post on the ice cream bars. I'm going to buy them next time I'm out. Are there other tasty low carb foods that anyone might recommend. I hate spending money on something only to find it taste terrible. V8 makes a good low carb fruit drink.
It's diet V8 Splash Tropical Blend. 8 ounces is 3 grams of carbs and 10 calories. It's sweetened with Splenda. I usually add an once or two to a big glass of water. It helps me to drink all the water I should.
janicej
http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/img/tulip-bar/slider-but4/lb/193/130/183.5/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/index.php)

janicej
08-13-2005, 07:25 PM
Wow, I actually figured how to add the weight tool bar. I'm just learning how to use a computer. I'm self taught so everything is trail and error. Hope all you gals are sticking to your diet plans. Have a great weekend .
janicej

janicej
08-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Okay, CJ how do I get my weight bar to show up each post?
janicej

CJ
08-13-2005, 09:34 PM
OK Janice ... just have a minute here but saw your "help me" with the signature ...

click on the edit button where your weight chart is and highlight all of the code ... then right click on your mouse and click on copy .. then go up to the top of the page on the left side under User CP - click on that then go to edit signature (on the left hand side) and click on that ... there should be a box come up that looks like the box when you do a post - right click on your mouse inside the box and then click on paste and the code for your weight chart will be in the box .. then go down at the bottom of the box and click on save signature. Then, it will show every post you do on all your messages. Yell if that does not work .. i'll check back in later ... got to run now tho. Good luck! Do a post so I know if it worked or not.

CJ

janicej
08-13-2005, 09:40 PM
Okay, lets see if this works. I really want to have the weight tracker added.
janicej

janicej
08-13-2005, 09:41 PM
Thanks ,
Now maybe I can figure out how to add all the cute faces etc..
janicej

CJ
08-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Yeah - it looks like you got it!

synger
08-14-2005, 12:34 PM
I've done "official" low-carb before. Protein Power. But I found I couldn't follow it long-term. Now, I just watch my carbs. Some days I only have a slice of bread. Other days I have more. I find that if I focus my meals and snacks around a bit of protein, the cravings and hunger pretty much fade away.

Fortunately, my cravings have never really been for sweets. My husband is more of the ice cream/candy person. My comfort foods are bread, crackers, potatoes... savory carbs. So when I was sick a few weeks ago, I really loaded up on carbs. Now I'm back to only a few servings a day, and whole grain when I can.

So this is a rambling reply about low-carb. I'm not officially doing it, but I understand many of the precepts. I know a lot of people who are doing low-carb. There's a lot of support out there for it.

shortiemetoo
08-15-2005, 02:04 AM
Hi everyone!! I am shortiemetoo/Karla!
I am on south beach and have done Atkins before (unfortunately I didn't do too well on it....).
south beach is pretty much a low/healthy carb lifestyle...I love it!!!
I really love your group and will love checking in with all of you!!
Have a great night everyone!!!

CJ
08-16-2005, 08:21 AM
Good morning ladies! Sorry I've been away for a few days .. had a very busy weekend and have to confess I was not OP all the time. Hubby's birthday was Friday so of course we had birthday cake. Took him to dinner Fri nite and they gave him a huge piece of birthday cheesecake .. of course I had to help him eat that over the weekend .... Actually, outside of that I did pretty well ...

Jane: Where did you dissappear to? Looking for you to post on the food journal thread with us. If you haven't gotten back up on that wagon pick yourself up and report in!

Shortiemetoo: Welcome to our group and hope you post with us a lot. We want to get to know you.

Janice: You did good on the weight chart ... The smilies (cute faces) are just to the right of where you are typing your post ... there is a whole list of them and what to type to make them. You probably already have figured this out tho, eh? Keep up the good work on staying OP and losing ...

Synger: Good to hear from you girl. Hope you are doing well .. come on in and post with us more .. love to hear from you. Oh, and happy belated birthday. Was it the 10th? My hubby's was the 12th.

Marblefly: Where are you girl? Hope all is well with you too .. come back and post more so we can get better acqainted. Since we have the same b'day you'll have to be here so we can celebrate together right?

Peggy: Hope you're doing well ... post when you can.

Sharon: How are you? Need to hear from you! Get in here and post!

Slyvia: You too! Are you still taking your long walks? It doesn't seem like 2 years since you had Nico ... time flies!

I think I covered everyone .. if I missed, I'm sorry. Hope to hear from you all soon ...

Later....
Love, CJ

janicej
08-16-2005, 01:23 PM
CJ,
Glad to see you are back!! I was beginning to feel alone on this board. Today we our celebrating our 36th wedding anniversary!!! I'll try to stay on track, but I know we will be going out to eat.
janicej

CJ
08-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Good morning everyone ... hope you are doing well ... I'm busy getting our stuff packed - we're going to our daughter's for a couple days ... I won't be back in here until Saturday as she does not have internet.

Janice:
Happy Anniversary! Did you have a nice dinner out? Don't fret if you didn't stay OP ... it only happens once a year! I just posted yesterdays eating on the food journal. Sorry I was a bit lax but will do better. We might as well use the same thread until next week then we'll start a new one ok?

Jane H:
Where did you dissappear to girl? Hope all is well.

Hi also to Sharon, Peggy, Slyvia, Marblefly, Synger, and our new member Shortiemetoo ... hope to hear from you all soon.

I'll pop back in later tonite ... we aren't leaving until early morning. Have a great day everyone.

Love, CJ

shortiemetoo
08-18-2005, 02:27 AM
Hi everyone!!!!

Wow!! CJ you did good!!! Took your husband out to dinner and only had a small amount of cheesecake!! That's awesome!!!

Happy Anniversary Janice!! Woo hoo!! That is so awesome!!! Congratulations!!! 36 years is an awesome accomplishment!! How was your dinner out?? Good I hope??!!

I am awaiting the birth of my first grandchild!!! I am so excited!! My daughter has been having a LOT of braxton hicks contractions and is 95% effaced and 1 cm dilated...so we are in a holding pattern!! That is about all the exciting news I have...

I hope you all are having good days and are able to stay on plan!! It does get hard sometimes doesn't it!! But then at the end of the day it is oh so worth it!!!
Take care and I will check back soon!!!! :D

janicej
08-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Hello all my dieting buddies,
I did have a very nice 36th anniversary. We went for a drive in the country and found a real cute place to eat at. I ordered my meal and only ate half of everything. We did order some wonderful onion rings , which we split. I shouldn't have had the onion rings. I had heartburn later that night.:nono: I paid the price for eating food I normally don't eat. Well, the heartburn sure helped me to stay on track the next day!:lol:
janicej

janicej
08-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Oh Karla,
Forgot to say hi. It's wonderful that you will soon be a grandmother! It's so nice being a grandma. You get to have fun with the grandkids and when you tire of them you can send them home! We have two of our grandkids this weekend. They arrive this afternoon and will be picked-up on Sunday. We plan on driving over to the beach with them. I have meetings there for our condo assoc. My husband, Alan will be able to take them in the pool and on the beach. It should be a fun trip for them. They love the water. Hope I can stay on plan. They always have boxes of donuts at the meetings and I will be eating out the whole time we are there. I usually gain a couple of pounds every time we go to the beach.:yikes: Hope it doesn't happen this time. I actually feel in controll of my eating. I cut all the sweets and it really helps.
janicej

:balloons: for the baby

Sassy
08-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Well that is great that we have even more newbies in our wonderful group. How wonderful! Welcome janicej, Jane and Karla! :cp:

CJ-You are a Brat Brat Brat for starting the new thread YET AGAIN! I guess I need to pay more attention what is going on so I can beat you once in a while like I used to do. I remember whenever you used to say you were going to soak in the tub that you would start the new thread so it got that when you said that I wouldn't trust you and have to RACE you to get the new thread started. Ha Ha Tell Dickie poo Happy Belated Birthday to him. :hb: Well if you only helped him eat the cheesecake than that doesn't count, cause it wasn't your birthday after all. LOL

Jane-Yes, by all means post in the Food Journal that CJ has started. It should help you out. You can get accountibility as well by posting with us too. How are you doing? Don't worry, you will get back on track, just take it a day at a time, a meal at a time and you will do great. :cb:

Sylvia-Gosh I can't believe your nervy sisters. Expecting you, just because you don't work anymore to take care of your dad's stuff. Don't they know that when you have a little one that is a full time job and you really do SO much for your parents I know for a fact. Please don't let it get to you, you are an angel and some people just let others do everything and than pass the buck on the rest of it. They are your sisters after all, so I guess you have to make nice. But I know it is hard somedays for you. Hang in there, we are here for you always. (((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))) Chrissy is doing great and it has been almost 6 yrs since my brother died, she is dating a really great man, and his name is also Rick, like my brothers. I like him a lot and she is so much in love and I have never seen her so happy in a long time. Thanks for asking, she always liked you too. :flow1:

janice-I take it you are on low carb! I am on Weight Watchers, we are all on different types of programs, but do try to cut back on my carbs, even though I love pasta and bread, it is sure hard somedays. But I manage to fit it in my program when I want it. But CJ will be your low carb helper there. It sounds as if you are doing great so far with that program. Congratulations on your 5 pounds gone. You are on the right track with your exercise and cutting out sweets too. I too find that if I don't eat any sugar, within a little while I don't even crave it. But when I eat it, the more I eat the more I crave. So I try to get my sugar in naturally with fruit and the jello puddings and gelatin they have out. That seems to do the trick for me. Sorry about your Mom's passing, I lost my Mom about 10 yrs ago and it hasn't been easy for me, I miss her so much, but manage to cope so far. You are doing the right thing in eating healthy to avoid any healthy complications. Good for you!
We are here for you always, when ever you need us. :twirly:

synger-Glad you posted and doing well, it seems like. I too have to have protein everyday or else I tend to get hungry and the protein seems to keep me more from being hungry. You are lucky that you don't crave sweets. I try to not give in to them, otherwise I am a goner. :yikes:

Karla-How wonderful that you are about to be a grandmother. I envy you, both of my daughters are now married recently and I will wait patiently till I am a grandmother. I won't bug them, when they are ready I will be ready. Let us know when the blessed event is here. You are right when you say that even thought there are times you wonder how you will get through the day, at the end of the day it is worth it. Than when you weigh yourself and see what you have accomplished than you know it was worth it. :goodluck:

Hope everyone is doing great and having a wonderful weekend so far. :cheer:

Love you, Sassy Sharon

sweet tooth
08-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi to all. I haven't been lurking, just plain old MIA. We took 3 weeks vacation - mostly to get a room ready for DM to move in with us - and spent a few days with some very old friends. However, the holidays are over, the 10 pounds has packed on, and I really need to get serious about taking it off.

I, too am doing a lo carb program. It really isn't low carb, although I do restrict the amount of carbs that I eat. My program is really more not eating any processed foods, including processed starches, and reducing the amount of sugar that I eat. It works for me, so I am anticipating that I will take the weight off quite quickly...as long as I stick to the program.

DS is getting married in Cuba in January, so I must make sure that I look good for the pics. I bought my dress a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still looking for shoes to go with.

On a sad note, I am having to deal with the death of my DM - 5 days before she was to move in with us. I went to pick her up at the senior's home...that was last Monday...for a dr. appointment. When I got there, I found her body on the floor. Through the course of events - R.C.M.P. and medical examiner attending and asking questions to find out whether there had been foul play - I discovered that noone at the home had checked on her when they knew that she had been missing meals for 2 1/2 days. DH was also out of town as were all of our ministers, so I was in a horrid state. DH flew home that evening and we were able to straighten out what needed to be done at the moment, but we are truly still in shock.

We were behind in getting her room ready, so when I left her on the Friday, I told her that I would probably not call her until Monday when I would remind her of her appointment. I am still kicking myself for that. It may not have prevented the death, but she wouldn't have been left there for so long.

I am back to work this week, but have not told anyone except my boss. I just couldn't face people who know right at the moment, so this is (maybe selfish) but better for me.

I was able to get in touch with my brother in Korea, but he is not able to come home right now. DM didn't want a funeral (mostly because the family is all over the place and she didn't want them to drop everything and come home), so we will arrange a committal service when the family is able to make reasonable arrangements to attend. DD is a minister, so she can do the service, but if she is not able, her husband (also a minister), will need to do it.

So that is a little piece of how our spring/summer has gone. things can't get any worse and we are looking forward to things getting better.

Hope everyone is doing well, getting over their holidays and ready for the fall to begin. Remember, Christmas is coming soon, so get that shopping done. :lol: Mine is already done, so I can gloat. :s:

Take care...

CJ
08-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi girls .. I'm back. My couple days at my daughters turned into 4 days. We had our yearly tractor/steam engine show at Buckley .. it's a big thing but what Karen and I love about it is the 600 vendors flea market! Boy oh boy, I put a lot of miles on just walking those rows after rows Thursday thru Sunday! My legs are so tired .. I sure did need to get into my Hot Tub when we got home.

Peggy:
Good to hear from you but am so sorry to hear of your mother's death. How awful to be the one to find her ... I can only imagine what your are going thru. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Good luck with your lo-carb program .. I went off mine a bit over the weekend, but going to get with it this week!

Sharon:
Glad to hear from you! Sorry about the new thread .. you know how it goes .. "you snooze you lose"! lol I gave Dick you birthday greeting - he said "thanks" ... he asks about your guys often! We need to get together!

Janice:
Where are you girl? Did you have a good weekend or goof off like me? I started a new weeks food thread .. hope you still post there with me.

Jane H:
Where did you dissappear to? Come back and post with us!

Karla:
Again, welcome and please do come back and post with us too!

Slyvia:
Oh Slyvia ... where are you?? We need you in here.

OK ... will post more tomorrow .. you all have a great nite.

Love, CJ

janicej
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
CJ, I'm here.:wave: Just got back from the coast. We had our grandkids this weekend. 5 grandkids 7 and under can keep a a grandma busy!!!! I ate junk food right along with them. By, Monday I was ready to get back on my eating plan. I ended up losing another pound!!!!!! :lol:
janicej

CJ
08-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Hi Janice! Glad to see you're back .. that's right, you did say you were taking the grandkids to the coast - I remember now. Glad you had fun, and eating junk foods with the kids is OK! Good job on losing that 1# ...

Well ... looks like this is #30 post sooooooooooo .... time to start a new thread .. love love love the "brat status" ... lol

SEE YOU ALL ON THE #5 ....