Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-02-2005, 10:33 PM   #1  
Workin' hard!

S/C/G: 228/228/165

Default Suggestions?

I haven't done a huge search, but I'm sure you guys get asked this all the time.

First, let me say what an inspriation you guys are! You actually LIKE to exercise!

I remember those days - but, I have become so sedentary, I can't imagine finding joy in it!

SO, that brings me to my next question -

Do you have any suggestions??? I really want to start SOMETHING - ANYTHING.

I weigh 225, and I've become quite lazy. A gym isn't an option right now - but, certainly will be in a month, when school starts (I homeschool, and I take them to the Y to play with other kids for an hour in the afternoon, I can easily exercise during that time)

ANy suggestions as to what I can do right now?? SOmthing fun, and motivating, but not SO hard, that I'll die trying?

Thanks!

Erin
WDWErin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #2  

how about purchasing an exercise tape or two?

i do tae-bo, and it's a really REALLY intense work-out. so i wouldnt really suggest trying that. how about pilates or yoga? or maybe one of those fun belly-dancing tapes (i dont know if they work but they look like fun)? you could also do dance aerobics or general aerobics.

good luck!
pimpishboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:57 AM   #3  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Not everyone actually likes the exercise per se. I like how it makes me "feel" though. So I've had to design exercise routines that motivate me. I like getting out of the house, so joined Curves. I like eating out, so take my walks past Wendy's and enjoy a salad before returning home. I had to go to work, and it wasn't far, so bought a bike and rode that instead of taking the car...added benefit: saved on gas expenses too. I like to watch TV, so marching in place while lifting hand weights, or just doing jumping jacks, twists, or jump rope motions, or stepping up and down steps with hand weights, or combinations of all, while watching a show aren't too difficult to handle. Some people don't consider dancing to be exercise. Do you like to dance? Get some dance videos, or just turn up the music and dance around the housework. Have a dog? Take him for walks. Kids? Take them for walks.

If exercise isn't fun, we're not liable to stick with it. So if we don't like exercise too much, we have to keep trying things until we find some we can enjoy or at least work out a method of enjoying it by combining it with something we do enjoy.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #4  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

BTW, you said you take them to the Y. Even taking them to the playground can be exercise time for mom. Don't sit and watch them play...play with them. Push them on the swing or swing next to them. Actually play on the monkey bars, climb the slide to help them up. It's all exercise...fun exercise.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #5  
Workin' hard!

Wow! You have aLOT of great suggestions - more than I had ever thought of!
My kids would love it if I could play with them for more than a few minutes at a time - they're great motivators!

I'm going to do two of those suggestions TODAY! We are going for a walk, and later when I want to watch something on TV - I'm going to crunch/lift hand weights during the show. (CSI:Miami)

Thank you SO much for the motivation! I'm exicted to start this journey.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:59 PM   #6  

Dancing is good, whether you use a video and do proper aerobic dancing, or just grab a child some loud music and dance however you like!!! Skipping ropes and hula hoops with the kids, long walks, swimming with or without the kids, vigorous house cleaning...it all helps.

I hated exercise at the beginning of the year, I was really panicked about how I was going to incorporate it in my life. I now go to the gym six times a week, and I adore it, it has become part of my life now.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #7  

I've never been much of an exerciser either, but I have found that doing it every day at the same time of day helps. You have to do it on a regular basis for it to do any good. How about walking? The easiest exercise! Walk down to the corner and back every day for a week, and then a little farther the next week and soon you'll be up to a mile! Or, get some Leslie Sansone tapes and Walk Away the Pounds right in front of your tv. It's low impact and she has a great manner. Good luck!

Dinah
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:17 AM   #8  
Workin' hard!

Well,
I'm looking into WATP, but my friend and I have started walking. We are doing just 1 mile tomorrow, which I feel is a great place to start - plus, I crunched during my favorite show (BB6) this evening!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I don't enjoy exercising. It's a necessary evil because I like how I feel when I do workout. My brain is much clearer, I have so much energy, and my moods stablize greatly. I'm much happier person when I exercise regularly. I have excuses everyday for why I can't do what I should and have to talk myself into doing it anyway. It's like I have a second personality where we actively argue about our health. Shoot, I've started talking to myself while I run. Anything to finish.

Ideas-you have children. Take them for a walk around the neighborhood or the park. Make them your exercise equipment, lift them up for weight training or Walk around after them, be an active player with them instead of sitting on the side lines and watching them.

Check your public library to see if they have any beginner exercise videos. When you first start out, walking is really the best. It's cheap and convenient. Then as you get more fit, you can add other things. Get a bike for you and the kids and go bike riding. If they see you being active, they will more likely stay active as they get older.

And above all, have fun. Find something you at least don't hate
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote