Old 07-31-2005, 11:06 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

Default Soy

I am told I should be eating soy. Does anyone have good ways to incorporate it into your diet? Thanks!
ElisabethCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:23 AM   #2  

Maybe try some tofu...if you can make it right, curry tofu is WONDERFUL! I try to drink soy milk...only certain brands. Some brands are terrrrrrrrrible, while other are decent. If you can't just drink it, put it on cereal in place of regular milk. There are also soy nuts but they tend to be slightly high in fat and unless you can find them unsalted, they are also high in sodium.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:04 AM   #3  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

tofu is good, and if you don't like the taste or texture, you can blend it into a smoothie. it absords the flavor of whatever you mix it with, and it makes the smoothie rich and creamy. soy protein powder is pretty good too.
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:53 AM   #4  

My understanding is that the best way to eat soy, meaning the most healthy way, is in its bean or fermented forms. Its bean form is edamame (Trader Joe's carries it frozen), which you boil in salted water and then peel to get beans out and eat (a wonderful alternative to peanuts because you get all the hand stuff in). Its fermented form is miso, which you can find in dressings at WHole Foods and other places and which you can find as a liquid and is delicious broiled on fish and chicken or in soup. Our favorite way to get miso is to make our own homemade Top Ramen. We buy rice noodles and boil them separately. Then I make a soup with chicken broth, miso, chicken (or not) veggies, and Tamari Sauce. I add the noodles to the soup in the bowls (so that leftover noodles don't get mushy in the soup). My family loves this.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I use soy powder in my shakes simply because I can't do milk products. I also use no fat soy milk on cereal.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #6  
Eat well, Live well

My mother-in-law swears by soy products, and tried to convince me to switch, but any soy products I eat make me feel bloated and gross, so I stay away from them.
Allie Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/235/TBD

Height: 5'4

Thank you for all the tips!
ElisabethCK is offline   Reply With Quote