Nutrition and Labeling - Walden Farms Dressings & Sauces?

View Full Version : Walden Farms Dressings & Sauces?

Stevie Christine
07-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Has anyone tried Walden Farms dressings and pasta sauces? Which flavors taste good?

I am looking for sugar free/fat free dressings. If you haven't tried Walden Farms, could you make other recommendations?

Thank you very much!

MrsJim
07-31-2005, 09:46 PM
I've never tried them but I hear they're good...

(my favorite salad dressing - and the only one I buy - is Girard's Light Champagne dressing BTW - that's why I haven't tried the WF products.)

I see on their website they offer individual serving-sized packets of their dressing. Why not send 'em an email and ask if they'd supply a 'sampler' of one of each flavor? Doesn't hurt to ask. ;)

ellenuw
08-01-2005, 07:49 AM
I personally like Kozlowski Farm's "south of the border" and sesame flavored fat free, oil free salad dressings.

almostheaven
08-01-2005, 09:20 AM
I've used the Walden Farms Italian, Honey Dijon, Tomato Basil, and Ranch dressings, but none of their sauces. All but the Ranch were fairly good. Though they seem to me to take a bit more to kinda coat the salad. Maybe it's just because the bottles are so small. LOL

slimcharm
08-01-2005, 12:18 PM
I just got a huge order of Walden Farm stuff..including the marshamallo and chocolate dip, chocolate sauce, and several of the salad dressings. I ordered online..but to my shock saw that a local grocery store carried some of it. (I had looked at the major stores but not Food Lion where I found it)
I havent tried them all yet..but was shocked they have 0 cals..that almost makes no sense..how can it be?

momof3hes
08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Ok, so Ive tried the Ranch and the Thousand Island and personally thought it was pretty nasty and it left a kinda waxy feeling on the tongue. BUT, I have always felt that even the nasty dressings were better than nothing...

sarahyu
08-01-2005, 03:32 PM
I saw they had some calorie free items but I wasn't sure how accurate that was. How do they taste? I'm glad that your local Food Lion carries some of the products. Which ones? I'll have to go check mine out and see. I don't go very often, unless they have a good sale on something.

Sarah

almostheaven
08-01-2005, 09:45 PM
Ok, so Ive tried the Ranch and the Thousand Island and personally thought it was pretty nasty and it left a kinda waxy feeling on the tongue. BUT, I have always felt that even the nasty dressings were better than nothing...
I don't think they've quite perfected the taste in the "creamy" dressings yet.

slimcharm
08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
I threw some of the thousand on my sandwich today..yeah it was not very pleasing..oh well..will post on the next bottle item when I try it.

Suzanne 3FC
08-03-2005, 04:28 PM
Jennifer brought a bottle (untasted) of their salad dressing to a family dinner, and I wasn't there, but I heard it sent everyone running to the trash can to spit it out :eek:

I'm so glad I missed that dinner :lol:

I personally gave up on commercial fat-free salad dressings, and go for reduced fat instead. They always seem to taste better, and I just factor it into my daily calories and I'm fine. My favorite dressings are T.Marzetti Light Balsamic Vinaigrette, and their Light Caesar. They also make a good line of dressings with just 2 grams of fat. These are usually found in the produce section of the supermarket.

slimcharm
08-04-2005, 12:57 PM
I have an almost full bottle of the Walden Farm Thousand Island...and a family reunion coming up on Sunday. Hmmm wonder if the family would like to try something new....never did like that braggin brother in law................

Musicgal
08-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Well I guess for 0 calories you get 0 taste :lol: . I agree with Suzanne 3FC, it's better to go for the lite dressings than the non fat. They are tastier and you also need some fat with your veggies to get the nutrients...I read that somewhere but can't remember where.

Stevie Christine
08-07-2005, 02:42 PM
The reason I'm looking for something that is fat free is because I have had gastric bypass surgery. Fats and sugars can cause us to have Dumping Syndrome...sweaty, heart pounding, and an instant taking a dump of what just went in us. Yes, we do need fats from somewhere, like real food. I'm just trying to lessen the problem, especially when I take a dressing packet out to eat with me. Thank you for your input.

floridarusty
08-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Hi, Phyllis here from J. Cruise group.

I HATE the Thousand Island one, can tolerate the Ranch. But I do like the honey mustard and creamy bacon. You will get use to the texture. I use the ranch sometimes in my tuna with some onion and relish.....no extra calories.

The bbq sauce is good too if you can find it, even my dh likes that.

I think you have to try it a few times and not use a lot of it is the key. Just enough to give a little flavor.

Phyllis

slimcharm
08-08-2005, 09:09 AM
I ordered a bunch of different ones. Everything I tried that Dr. Gullo recommended in his book "The Thin Commandments" is delicious. He did not mention the Thousand Island dressing but two other Walden Farm ones..I think a vinegarette and honey dijon?..not sure I will check, cant recall as I ordered a variety.
Regardless I am opening my next bottle soon.
I was kidding about my brother in law..he is wonderful! I tried the Thousand Island several times..Its AWFUL! I threw it in the trash. Not eating something I dont like no matter how wasteful and I dont see how anyone could like it..so would not take it to family reunion.
I will let you all know about the next one I try.

Everything Dr. G. has recommeneded has been fabulous so I am hopeful about the others!

slimcharm
08-08-2005, 09:10 AM
BTW again..after I ordered these online I found them at my local food lion..Also ordered the chocolate sauce, choc. dip, and the marshmallo sauce, bbq sauce and cant recall what else.

KO
08-09-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't use dressing on my salad
But if your pouch can handle it how about chopped up eggs/Egg whites
and some RF shredded cheese
Not to be nosey but should you be having salad this soon after? My sis couldn't eat salad for about a year or so after hers

Stevie Christine
08-09-2005, 12:51 PM
It's not for salad. It's used to give food some moisture/taste. It was recommended at one of our support groups. I am fairly certain that it's a safer alternative than gravy. :)

almostheaven
08-09-2005, 03:53 PM
He did not mention the Thousand Island dressing but two other Walden Farm ones..I think a vinegarette and honey dijon?..not sure I will check, cant recall as I ordered a variety.
Regardless I am opening my next bottle soon.
I was kidding about my brother in law..he is wonderful! I tried the Thousand Island several times..Its AWFUL! I threw it in the trash.
Yeah, I use the vinagarette styles (tomato basil and italian) and the honey dijon. I believe the thousand island and ranch are the only two creamy ones I've tried. I don't recall what it was about the TI, but the ranch is totally bland. It's like a watered down mayonaise...no flavor at all. The dijon, tomato basil and italian however are all fairly good. I guess it's harder to imitate the fat taste in the fattening creamy dressings without losing something in the translation. :lol:

slimcharm
08-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Ok I just tried the marshmallo dip. Not sure what I expected..maybe something that tasted like marshamallos..Not sure how to describe this..its kinda sweet, but not that good tasting..passable.
I made a graham cracker treat and put it on the treat..which wasnt quite the treat I had in mind once the white marshmallo froth went on it.
Me thinks this may find its way in the trash along with the thousand island dressing..yuckums!

konstine
08-19-2005, 03:46 AM
I bought the Alfredo Sauce (I mean, ****, if it's terrible, it's only four bucks - and if it's good, hurrah! :-D )

It's not *bad*, exactly - I mean, I eat a few spoonfulls (tsp.) over my pasta occasionally, but I usually make a sort of ghetto-carbanera: the Walden alfredo, some whole wheat pasta, some bac-os (ah, the diet of a college student)

It's not as good as the 'real thing,' but I can't complain: i put a little shake of parmesaen on it, and it does the trick for me.

slimcharm
08-19-2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah what can we expect for 0 calories...! Not a picnic for sure. I would not purchase the mallo dip again.

taekwondomom
08-21-2005, 11:37 PM
I've tried the Walden Farms Bacon Ranch, French and Ranch so far. Did not like the Bacon Ranch, but the French and Ranch aren't so bad. I've found they taste best if you use only a small amount.
I've tried the Maple syrup too. Not much flavor so I usually just use jam on pancakes and skip the syrup.

slimcharm
09-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Maybe the maple syrup would be good warmed..thats next for me to try. I tried the honeydijon dressing and it was good enough to buy again..though not delicious.

susie
09-25-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm with Mrs Jim on the recommendation for Girard's Light Champagne vinagrette - it is really good. I also like their fat free spinach salad dressing. It's pretty sweet but I love it over fresh spinach salad with sliced strawberries in it.

killingjanni
12-05-2005, 09:01 PM
I've tried the caesar dressing, it wasn't that good..

Their apple butter is amazing though! I've come up with the best recipe with it--tastes just like apple crisp. It works out to about 1.5 points if you follow Weight Watchers, and its soooooooooo good.

Janice's Apple Crumble

Ingredients:
- 8 Breton Mini Honey crackers
- cinnamon
- 1/2 apple
- 1 tbsp Walden Farms apple butter
- liquid sweetener

Directions:
Crust
1. Place crackers in ziploc sandwich baggie and crush them up.
2. Put cracker crumbs into a small bowl, mix in desired amount of cinnamon.
3. Press mixture evenly into the bottom of the bowl.
4. Drip liquid sweetener over mixture until mostly damp.
Filling
5. Peel and chop apple into small pieces. Place in separate bowl with 1 tbsp apple butter.
6. Stir mixture, then microwave for about 1 minute.
7. Pour apple mixture over crust. Serve and enjoy!

kaplods
12-05-2005, 09:39 PM
I found that a decent rice or rice wine vinegar is mellow enough to use all by itself (plain or seasoned), or with a little artificial sweetener. If you see several brands pick the one with the lowest percentage acidity.

I've also used packet dressings (ranch, garlic, oriental...) with just the rice (wine) vinegar and a little water.

Colleen

PhysDom
12-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Before I joined this forum I bought the Walden Farms 1000 Island and used it once. It was so awful. I would much rather have a plain (no dressing!) salad than one that tastes bad. *shudder*

I haven't thrown it away yet, though. The penny-pincher in my argues that it cost me 4 bucks (or something really high like that!!) and that maybe I'll like it some day, so I should save it? No wonder my fridge is full...

slimcharm
12-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Throw it out. Life is not worth eating lousy food. Not worth the calories even if they are zero.
I got around to trying the chocolate dip..well lets just say it ain't Godiva. What I am doing is putting a bit in my espresso cup and adding espresso and I get a little taste of chocolate and it works fine there.

PhysDom
12-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Well, I've got a move coming up in 4 weeks now, so I guess that will be the perfect time to clean/clear out things that I won't want...

teahoney
12-08-2005, 09:11 AM
My nutritionist just gave me a sample of the Walden Farms Thousand Island dressing. It was the most horrid tasting thing. I don't know about their other dressings and sauces but at least that one I can say was absolutely disgusting.