Old 07-30-2005, 08:37 PM   #1  
Making myself proud.

S/C/G: 375/ticker/200

Height: 5'11"

Default I'm a success story gone bad, trying to start again

Hi everyone.

I'm not sure who will remember me. I'll give you the quick run down of my story and hopefully that will shame me enough to start back! lol.

On 1/12/04 I decided it was time to do something about my weight. I started at 350 lbs and by 11/5/04 I had lost 96 lbs! I was low fat dieting mostly, and walking 20 miles per week on my treadmill. During the holidays I decided I would let myself has some treats, then eat a little more in general, then decided I wouldn't start exercising or continue eating low fat until after the holidays were over and I'd start back on Jan 1. Well, now it's almost August 1st and I haven't started back! I've gained back a whopping 59 at last weight in but I'm sure it's closer to 70 lbs now. I keep joking that at least I'm gaining back slower than I lost but that's just because if I don't laugh about it I'll cry.

At the time I decided to take a break (note to self, don't ever do that again!) I was about 75 lbs from my ultimate goal weight and 54 lbs from my high school senior weight. Logically I don't know what's up with me. I felt so much better physically and emotionally when I was eating better and exercising. I just can't seem to get back in the swing of things.

I think the thing that upsets me the most is that obviously if I lost 96 lbs in less than 10 months last year I can do it and know what works for me. So why am I not only not losing but allowing myself to gain so much back???

Anyway, that's my story. I hope that someone will remember me or have some great insight into what my problem is! lol.

Thanks for listening everyone. I hope to get back into the swing of things and get to know all the new people who have joined since I left too.

Talk to you all soon!

Last edited by Stinger766; 07-30-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Stinger766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Hi there, Ingrid! Welcome back! Of course I remember you -- I had a setback myself, as you'll see from my siggy below. You just pick yourself up and dust yourself off, though......right?

I'm glad you're back.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:40 PM   #3  

Hi,
Been there, done that. I, too, am in the same position. Just took a break and never went back. I was set to do wonderful over the summer with so much time to exercise and today is the first day I've taken a walk. I said to myself today, " just do it today, you'll feel better." So I took the walk. I think I have to do it a lilttle at a time. Every time I try to diet, something happens to upset me and I eat. I stress and depress eat. I now weigh my highest at 162. I'm only 5 ft. with shoes on. Have small bones. I belong at about 110 to 120. So my plan is like the AA. I will take it just one day at a time. Addictions are addictions, be it to alcohol, nicotine, or food. I'm just going to have to do it like that.

Hope this helps to know you are not alone

Susan
icemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 11:35 PM   #4  

I think most people around here have been in your shoes. I have lost & gained so much that I've lost count. I know all about taking a "short break"...my last one lasted two years lol.

The only advice I can give you is to go back to where you started...make a commitment to do this for you & take small, progressive steps to your goal. For example, if it's too overwhelming to exercise 20 miles a week (not to mention, exhausting to begin with), start with a mile a week and work your way up. That way, you can get going the right direction & not feel overwhelmed. Then add an increment to that for the next week. You can do this, you already proved it!
TakinBabySteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:48 AM   #5  
Made in England!

S/C/G: 260/260/169

Height: 5' 4"

Welcome back, Ingrid.

Yes, I've dropped a ton of weight in the past only to regain it back with interest. It's the pits. My "short break" ended up lasting well over ten years! Good for you for trying to nip it in the bud before it gets to that stage.

That you lost the weight you did shows you have it in you to get going again. As TBS said, start with small changes and work up to bigger ones when you're comfortable.

Umm... any reason why you're putting it off until Monday and not starting tomorrow...?
DishyFishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/120

Height: 5 foot 4

Ingrid
I can relate. I too fell of the wagon. I was going to start a thread what I learn from ...
Then go into how one loses weight only to have it slowly creep back on you.
Here's what I've learned.

1. Get rid of your "big" clothes. I did notice that 7 lbs gain with my jean... so I just got into my old big jeans. If I didn't have those I would have had to wear my uncomfortable smaller jeans. That would been just painful. No room for just one more bite in those!!

2. No such thing as start tomorrw. Start now by making healthy choice with what you have on hand then go shopping for the rest tomorrow.

3. That custard ice cream isn't worth this!!

4. You have us and we can do it together!!!
mezmerize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:08 AM   #7  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Hi, Ingrid - Welcome back! Good to see you here again. May you find a lifestyle change that works for you long-term.
Gardenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:33 AM   #8  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

Hi Ingrid I remember you. Welcome back. I can relate just as many have said here. I lost 190 lbs only to gane 120 back. Now I've lost 145 again and am scared that I will screw up once more. We just have to take it day by day and keep making that choice each day. It's tough I know. I hope I have learned from my past mistake as you have. I hope not to not do this again. I fell into the trap of being able to eat whatever and not gain because of my job. So I decided maybe being 310 was not a bad place to stay at. SoI stoped trying to lose.This worked for awhile and then I was hurt on the job. No longer able to get the exercise the weight quickly came back on.

This time I have a lifetime plan in place and always plan on eating healthy along with counting calories and journaling. I don't know what to tell you about getting the reslove back that you once had. That has to come from within and is different for each person. I struggled for 10 years to get it back for myself so I don't have that answer. I can tell you that we are all here for support when ever you need it. I hope you can find what you are looking for and I hope to see you around again.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:04 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 299/ticker/150

Height: 5' 2"

This is what I like about this place.... You all have been there, done that, and understand the struggle. Ingrid, I'm new here. I started out strong, started putzing, and currently am at a limp....ok, SLOW/STATIONARY LIMP...... We are all in this together, for each other. Nash commented at one post or in his blog....don't remember.... that "time will pass anyway, I can either lose or gain". That was a powerful statement for me. I want it to pass with a loss....My struggle now is to find the means/reason/motivation to make it long term and a life style.
Lynne
tchrnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Hi Ingrid! I remember you. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. If you've done it before, you CAN do it again. We believe in you! Don't be a stranger, y'hear?
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:28 AM   #11  
Laura

Welcome Back! I'm new so I don't remember you but I'm looking forward to getting to know you. I've SO done what you did! Damn those breaks!
alphabetsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Welcome back Ingrid.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 01:32 PM   #13  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hi there!! Sure, I remember you! I'm so happy to see you back!!!

So today is the day your getting back on track!!! Good for you! We are behind you 100%
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 260.8/248.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi, welcome back!!

Unfortunately, I too know just how you feel. Once you get back, you need to keep up your focus. Maybe the low fat was just too much to maintain? Maybe you should consider another plan like Weight Watchers where you can eat more different types of food?? Just a thought.

The key is to find something that works and keep doing it. We're here for you.
BethC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 02:37 PM   #15  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ingrid: I'm fairly new (when do you stop being new here, anyway?LOL), but I relate!!

From Nov 03-Dec 04, I lost 70 lbs on an all-liquid diet. I also lost quite a bit of my hair and developed a heart palpitation. Add in a divorce, moving 1000 miles away from home and changing jobs in the months that followed, and you have a 50 lb weight gain. I had sworn to myself that I would NEVER see a 3 in the beginning of my weight ever again.

Be glad you are stopping yourself now before it gets more out of hand! And be glad also for coming back here for support. We've all been there (or are there). We know.....and we care...
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote