South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:15 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/209/145

Question Exercise?!?!?

Hello all!
I'm currently (slowly but surely) starting to walk/run. I was doing it for a while but got lazy. But I'm jumping back into it today!! I do it on the treadmill (easier on my knees ). I do 2min walk warm up, then I run 90secs then walk 120secs. I repeat this for 30-45mins. I'm trying to build up to running 20min straight w/i 12 weeks.

So, what type of exercise/activity are you doing?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:21 AM   #2  

You can actually tell alot about people's exercise by looking at the July Exercise Challenge thread but I'll tell you what I do. I like to take some exercise classes - mostly Kwando and PowerFlex. They are cardio/weightloss. The PowerFlex uses weights and the Kwando is punches, kicks, pushups and jumping jacks. Sometimes I take Pain in the Butt class which is a flexibility class that works on the abdomen, gluts, and leg muscles. In addition I like to do the elliptical machine and the stationary bike. I don't do a lot of walking or running since I have a knee that occasionally acts up so I like to go lower impact.

I also do a couple of 5K runs a year and I swim when I get a chance. I haven't been working out as much as I like lately but I do it whenever I can.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #3  

Sunkissed -
JMO - But you don't have to run at all. It is very hard on your knees as well as other joints. If I were you I would alternate walking pace and skip the running.

Barb - Do you mind my asking what eating plan you are on? You are doing so well...
Old 07-26-2005, 11:51 AM   #4  

I am starting today (I promise this time) with 30 min on the treadmill. I am watching Sex and The City as my treat, yes I am addicted to that show but whatever works right?! And then next will I will add an hour of aerobics to it and the week after weights.
Sounds like you have a good plan Sunkissed. I know a lot of people dont run or promote it and say its the same as walking but for *me* it makes a difference. However I know its going to be a while before I am running again!! As Star said it is hard on your joints and I used to get shin splints sometimes when I ran a lot but I load up on the gluclosomine. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 AM   #5  

As long as you stay in your target heart rate (and you can do that with walking) your burning stored body fat and not blood sugars, which is what you do when you work too hard (such as running)....JMO
Old 07-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #6  
yawaii29

S/C/G: 143/143/130

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I wake up early around 6:50 and do whatever show is on fit tv at 7:00. I also live on a small hilled driveway, so I walk down the driveway then run up it ( I try to do it 20 times a day) the neighbors might thinK I'm a little crazy I also can't wait till I go to the gym. My fiance is going to sign me up soon, whenever he gets the time (he's a workaholic) that's what I wanted for my birthday. It was something I enjoyed doing before the children.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:18 PM   #7  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

I do 30 minutes on the elliptical (yuck) 3 times a week and 30 minutes of weights (yay) 3 times a week.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
Barb - Do you mind my asking what eating plan you are on? You are doing so well...
Star - I'm on the South Beach diet. I've been on phase 2 for over a year and am still gradually losing a little which is fine. I eat lots of vegetables, fruits and lean protein. I avoid saturated and trans fats.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:30 PM   #9  

Beth - I am on LAWL and seem to be stuck at mid 160's with a goal of 150.....
Work out 5 days a week, an hour a day, circuit train M-W-F and cardio T & T...with some fun exercise on weekends.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #10  

Barb you are amazing. I am sure you feel great about yourself!!!

For me personally I messed up my body in high school working out way too much and eating whatever I wanted. I can work out for 30 min and lose nothing so for me I have to do an hour or more to see results. And for some reason walking for an hour does work but running for 1/2 hour I get better results. I think everyone is different and most people on here probably dont have the messed up metabolism as I do and will benefit fine from just walking. Its frustrating but I am just happy bc south beach is the only plan I have lost on so far and not dropped.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:47 PM   #11  

Kimberly - Your weight is determined 90% by diet and 10 % by exercise....
Old 07-26-2005, 02:32 PM   #12  

Star- I have PCOS so its always been hard for me to lose weight. And I can lose a little but nothing seems to work without both diet and excercise at least for me. I could eat 1000-1200 cals a day and still not lose almost anything.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:38 PM   #13  

As far as diets also I believe I was always doing the wrong one bc this is the first one that has banished my feelings of starving and feeling as I was about to faint. I am IR as well so dieting isnt enough for me. I really love this plan now if I can just start working out more..
Old 07-26-2005, 03:12 PM   #14  

Kim - What is PCOS and IR? I totally agree the best combo for losing weight is diet and exercise. I have done it both ways and like the results with the combo best. You can stand two women side by side. One diets and exercises, one just diets, 99% of the time the one that does both will look ALOT better.
I exercise fat or thin. I just love the way it makes me feel, but I feel alot better if I'm not too much overweight.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:18 PM   #15  

Star- I know what you mean. I can lose just by diet but I look like I have lost when I workout way more.
PCOS is polycystic ovary syndrome and IR is insulin resistance. I was always small till I gained way over 100lbs during pregnancy and it took them a year after to finally test me for it after begging. I knew something was up and I was always starving and felt faint
Closed Thread