Support Groups - Summer Starters 7/26

View Full Version : Summer Starters 7/26

jjeanne
07-26-2005, 08:43 AM
So, did we all make it through yesterday?

Yesterday, I had lunch at a friend's house so my diet wasn't great, but I was by no means awful. Today is my rest day from exercise. My plan is to work out two days, rest one.

My goal for today is to make good eating choices.
My weekly goal remains the same - exercise 3X per week.

Have a great day!

Jeanne

Nomoto
07-26-2005, 09:28 AM
Good Morning - I didn't do so hot yesterday. I plan on drinking lots of water today and trying to get out tongight for some exercise. It's so hot down here, but no excuses! I am going to do my best today!

A promise of a new day

Brandi

jjeanne
07-26-2005, 11:27 AM
bump

jillybean720
07-26-2005, 12:27 PM
bump, eh?

Can I make a suggestion that we NOT start a brand new thread every day? Maybe just once a month or so, but when moving from thread to thread every day, it's harder to keep up with everyone's posts. We could even start a new one every week, but I think every day is excessive and unnecessarily cumbersome. Just an idea!

Daisy55
07-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Well yesterday was Ehhh!! Dont want to think about it.. It wasnt so bad... but I want to start from Today on!! :D

So far so good...
Had my breakfast (Special K w/ Soy Milk) & my snack (Fat Free Yogurt)!! Cant wait to go work out later today!!! :)

Daisy55
07-26-2005, 01:03 PM
I decided that Im not going to do a weekly weigh-in. I just cant!! Because I know myself.. If i dont see the scale move down, then Im going to freak out & go on another binging spree.. Im going to do it in a month... Wow... seems like a long time.. but Im sure August 26 will be here in no time!! I have to hide my scale now.. Maybe i should give it to my mom, she does a good job of hiding things from me.. Gave her my Credit Cards cause I maxed them all out.. and i havent seem them since :lol:

LauraB
07-26-2005, 02:28 PM
I think it's a good idea to stay with yesterday's thread. Lots of people there. Perhaps we can start a new thread every Monday morning.
Laura

neo98292
07-26-2005, 02:41 PM
yeah changing threads all the time is awful-as far as the weigh in goes, it is totally up to you-there are other things in the email like success and what needs help ect-different people weigh in at different times but it is to help keep us all accountable to each other. some weigh everyday, once a week, once a month or just wait until they really think there is alot to show. It is fine. Since I posted on yesterday lol will say again I know I have missed alot of emails so please PM me so you get the weekly check in email for the group.
Smiles
Melissa

jjeanne
07-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Ok, sounds good to me. New thread next week.

katyiris
07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Well yeasterday I did okay on my goals, I drank 32 oz of H20 but i didn't get any real excersize in. I bartended, but we were pretty slow. I did eat better yeasterday, controlled myself and stayed away from the greasy bar food. My downfall was the alcohol that I consumed after work with some friends. But today is a new day, and my plan for today is at least 32 oz of H20, eating less, and doing my yoga booty ballet. I'll let ya'll know if it is any good. I do have a question though. I am in no way a distance runner, if i were to set out for a run, I would end up running for a few minutes and then walking the rest. Would it be better to alternate between short sprints and walking? Let me know what you think. Good job everyone, even if you didn't reach your goals for the day, don't give up!! You can do it!!

BTW, the scale says I lost 1 lb. but I'm not sure if i should trust it. But we will see.

Have a good day everyone!!

uncovering
07-26-2005, 06:07 PM
katyiris - I'm in no way a runner either, but my PT always suggest that I walk for four minutes and then run for one, walk for another four minutes and then run for one. Then after a week or so you build up to walk 3 and run 2. I dunno, I'VE never really lasted more than a week. :)

As far as yesterday for me - I rank tons of water and ate well but didn't exercise!!!!! Today my #1 goal is to exercise for 30 minutes.

Purplefirefly
07-26-2005, 06:43 PM
Yeah for me, I finally found the new thread!! I did see the date was old on the other one, but so many were posting there I just went with it. I posted a few things on the other one that I just dont' want to retype...so let me cut it short and say I was shocked to see the scale down 5 lbs. this morning. I stepped on it four times just to make sure it wasn't lying to me :lol: I haven't been eating right at all, and even last night it was much higher (with a belly full of food), so I was so happy. I did over 40 miles of walking and gazelle and didn't eat after 8PM, so it really paid off even though I was eating all wrong during the day.

Hopefully, it won't come back!

I see everyone here is doing a great job today from what i've read to catch up here. Why can't we get ourselves put on the little list at the bottom where you jump from page to page? There are groups that have their own name listed, then we could have dailies within our own little forum...but I'm not sure how we'd get listed there, being here a whole 2 days and all!

Ice Princess
07-26-2005, 07:32 PM
well yesterday I drank 6 glasses of water and walked 20 min and swam 20 min so not bad but could do better. Today I drank 3 glasses of water ( but the day is not over YET!!!) and I havnt excersied yet either but em planning on doing sit ups on decline bench and maybe some arm, shoulder and back movements with weight

* nomoto I like the avatar you pick same with the part of the ticker my name is also Brandi spelt with an I LOL so many say Y no I oh IE NO I

neo98292
07-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Ok just a reminder, weekly email goes out so need anyone's email that hasn't sent it to me through PM yet. Don't want to leave anyone out who wants to be in. I can't wait to get on the scale tomorrow-it is a great feeling for a change.
melissa

neo98292
07-26-2005, 08:37 PM
Just a quick question-do we have to start a new thread every week? I noticed some of these groups have over 1000 postings on them. Trying to make it easy for people to find our group every time they need it.
melissa

StillTrying923
07-26-2005, 09:37 PM
Hi all - Congrats on all of the hard work! - My goal was to watch my portions this week and so far so good - Yogurt w/ 1/8c. grape nuts, Reduced Fat Wheat Thins, I skipped lunch - I know not good, but it was 94 today and I just drank tons of water and didn't feel like eating because it was too hot. Dinner was a small cheeseburger (hubby grilled) and about 15 Sunchips.

BTW, the scale says I lost 1 lb. but I'm not sure if i should trust it. But we will see.

My scale also showed I lost 1 lb. - funny I don't trust mine either! I can't even read the darn thing - it's too far away.... oh God..... I think I need glasses already at 36!
Can anyone recommend a good, but not too expensive, digital scale..... with BIG NUMBERS! :?:

Good Luck to all!

neo98292
07-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Most digital scales are pretty big for easy reading. Mine is a Sunbeam and I think I paid like twenty bucks for it and the numbers are huge and can't mistake what it says although there have been times I had wished I could LOL. I would try Walmart probably your best bet to get a good deal on one.
melissa

StillTrying923
07-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Thanks Melissa!

Purplefirefly
07-26-2005, 09:51 PM
My scale is a Sunbeam from walmart, paid like 10 or 15 for it, not more than 14.99, but I really think it was only 10. It has big red numbers and I don't have a problem seeing them.

Theresa

SuzyMc
07-26-2005, 09:59 PM
I have that same scale. I love that digital readout...especially when the numbers are going DOWN! ;)

I had a good day here. My grandkids and niece were all here for the day. They wanted to bake cookies, so we made peanutbutter thumbprint cookies. I sampled one, but the rest went home with the girls! No formal exercise today, but I figure running after 2 preschoolers and a teenager all day counts for something! :lol:

neo98292
07-26-2005, 10:01 PM
It counts in my book! I chase two toddlers all day myself and awesome job on just having one-especially peanut butter lol. Glad you had a good day.
melissa

Purplefirefly
07-26-2005, 11:51 PM
You were so good to only eat one cookie! I buy the treats for the kids and sometimes I would eat more than them...eat them, run out and have to go buy more for them...just horrible! That's why I am working on cutting out sugar completely right now. It is a trigger food for me and it has to go. I did horrible on that goal today, had a couple glasses of sweet tea and a glass of kool-aid. Okay, and half a pop tart...darn, this is a tough obstacle for me :(

But, i didn't eat after 8PM, did 7 miles exercise total, and drank one glass of water. I know I can keep losing weight with the exercise and cutting out the night eating (most of my calories were late at night, I was astonished to find that out), but the sugar is making me feel bad. That and cheese, I am addicted to cheese and I can go overboard and feel miserable.

But back to cookies, I can never eat just one! I might be able to completely not have any (sometimes) but if I have one then I just have to have another...so you did amazing today!

neo98292
07-27-2005, 12:28 AM
I told her that too-no cookies at my house-I even quit buying crackers since they are so easy when I am bored. The kids have some dry cereal instead and they think they are getting something great-course they aren't quite age 2 and 3 yet-LOL but even my son was happy to have some cheerios the other night. I hear you about the late night calories-used to be I would get all the kids in bed and "treat" myself after a long day-wasn't treating at all, just packing on the pounds. Keep up the good work.
melissa

Purplefirefly
07-27-2005, 01:06 AM
The kids have some dry cereal instead and they think they are getting something great

I haven't thought of dry cereal, thanks for sharing that! I have been giving my kids fresh fruit, and putting the treats up in these big canisters that are out of sight and it is starting to work some. They also like cheesesticks, which I figure it is better than cookies or crackers. I also replaced candy with those little gummy snack things because they are fat free at least. But, fresh fruit and veggies are fast becoming the most requested snack. But, they still just want cookies sometimes, especially my 3 year old, she's more set in her ways I guess.

neo98292
07-27-2005, 01:15 AM
What I did was use the grocery store for their cookie fix-the bakery will give each child a free cookie-that way they aren't in the house and it isn't like I am not at the store at least once a week. The cookie then becomes something special and not just part of what is expected. and I think that is wonderful about them requesting the fruits and veggies. Odessa would eat a whole cantalope if I would let her. Even my son who is mr. pickyeater is eating grapes, lettuce, and banannas. Funny how they will turn to the good stuff if that is what is available to them.

Purplefirefly
07-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Funny how they will turn to the good stuff if that is what is available to them.

Yes, makes me realize how much what I eat influences them. They really are watching and will live what they learn. I can influence their future in this area...I don't want them to grow up and go through what I have with the weight! I'm hoping to steer them in the right direction now. It is never too early!

MistyDreamer
07-27-2005, 01:44 AM
Sorry to check in so late. I didn't know the thread had been moved until now. I'm afraid to look at the scale tomorrow, haven't had the best week so far. Had a very rough weekend at work (46 hrs in 3 days). I promised myself I would start back at the gym, not there yet but am planning on swimming in the morning. Maybe I'll weigh after my swim!

I haven't gotten any emails so I'll PM you Melissa with my address again.

Takin' it one day at a time!
Suzette

cadwell125
07-27-2005, 05:46 AM
hi everyone. i'm glad everyone is doing so well. digital scale.. that's an idea! i think i will get one when have a little $$. it would be nice to be able to weigh at the same time everyday, and not after drinking like, 40 oz of iced coffee.
having those healthy snacks around instead of junk is great. i ate junk in the house when i was little, and i still do it, so y'all are right about making it a special treat for the kids. i don't have fruit here now, but i did get some 45 cal "pop snacks" which are so good. it's this giant sweet puffed rice thing. i love the korean market!
so i guess tomorrow is our official weigh in, hmm? i am hoping to go down another pound. but who can tell with the lame scale at my gym?

jillybean720
07-27-2005, 07:40 AM
I have a digital scale, and I love it. The other kind , the needles sometimes wiggles instead of staying still, plus it's harder to see the little lines from where your eyes are...I got mine at wallmart too, but I had to get a slightly more expensive one (I think maybe 30 or 35 bucks) because when I started, I weighed over 300 pounds, and a lot of the cheaper scaled only go up to like 280 or 300 :( I could use those cheaper scales now, though :D

I weighed on myhome scale this morning--287 even, the lowest I have ever seen on that scale! I think that will translate to between a 1 and 2 pound loss when I weigh on my TOPS scale tomorrow night (that's what I use as my official weight).

Sorry, but I probably won't do the email check-in. I just assume post all my info on here, since everyone else is trying to lose weight, too--who am I trying to impress ;) Also, that way, if I have any questions, I reach EVERYONE on here, even if they haven't provided an email address :^:

And no, we don't ever have to start a new thread if we don't want to. I think maybe we could start a new one on Monday simply called Summer Starters (or whatever) without a date, and just use that one for forever :)

SuzyMc
07-27-2005, 09:52 AM
You all are right about junk food and sweets...if it's not in the house you can't eat it! I have also cut out just about all sugar and sweetened drinks, the cookie yesterday was the first thing made with sugar I have eaten in 2 weeks! I thought I would miss it more than I do, but so far the cravings haven't been that bad.

As for the new thread thing...I'd say either start a new one once a week (maybe the day after weigh-in's) or just keep this same one going.

Nomoto
07-27-2005, 10:08 AM
Let's hope I can get this day started right. Going to get my bottle of water and put it on my desk. Then it will be right in front of me. NO way to hide it.

* ice princess - I noticed that we matched. Brandi's must have similar personalities. funny.... glad your in the group!

mommapossum
07-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Monday went very well with the water. I was able to drink 8 - 8oz glasses however I was not able to exercise for very long unless you can count the house cleaning and about 10 minutes of dancing with my daughters. The diet plan is going ok though... :)

jjeanne
07-27-2005, 10:56 AM
Hi everyone!
So far, so good. I already completed my exercise for the day. I walked for 40 minutes on the treadmill. I think I could probably walk longer, but it is difficult with a 3 year old and a 3 month old to find any more time than that. The baby still likes to eat about every 2 hours during the day. But since I am breastfeeding, I know I am burning a few extra calories with that. I also know myself and know that I have to exercise first thing in the morning, otherwise I'll find one excuse or another why I can't fit it in.

I made a nice fruit salad for my breakfast, which I am enjoying as I type.

Have a great day!
Jeanne

SuzyMc
07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
I had asked this question in another thread, but I think it got lost...

I noticed that a lot of you have goals of drinking water. I know 8 glasses a day is the general rule and I usually get 2 or 3 glasses of water, but the rest is usually in the form of weak iced tea. Can anyone tell me if iced tea counts as water or should it be plain water?

jillybean720
07-27-2005, 11:05 AM
Suzy--I have heard through a program at a TOPS meeting that anything with caffeine does not count as water (since caffeine makes you pee more, which sort of defeats the purpose). If you drink decaf, then I think it's okay. Also, do you use unsweetened? If not, maybe you could and just as a calorie-free sweetener if needed so that it is calorie-free, too. I don't drink iced tea, so that's about all the suggestions I could muster :p

SuzyMc
07-27-2005, 11:17 AM
Yes, it's unsweetened, but not decaf. I guess I'll try to start drinking more plain water and less tea. Thanks Jill! :flow2:

neo98292
07-27-2005, 12:55 PM
Great response this morning to the check in! If anyone isn't on the list and would like to be, please PM me with your email address and will get you added for next wednesday. Everyone great ideas and keep up all the great work!
melissa

katyiris
07-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Well yeasterday didn't go so well. I drank alot of water, but I got lazy and the TV was calling to me. I also went grocery shopping when i was hungry. BAD IDEA!!!!! yeah, so the diet didn't go over so well yeasterday. Well today is house cleaning day and i am getting ready to go on vacation, so it will be a while before i write again. I hope that everyone enjoys their weekend. And i will post again when i get home.

neo98292
07-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Have a great vacation! Everyone has a bad day now and then so don't get hung up on it and just start over. That is the beauty-we get to start each day fresh!
melissa

Purplefirefly
07-27-2005, 05:39 PM
Suzy--I asked basically the same thing about tea on the email group today and these were the basic ideas thrown around: try sweeteners other than sugar, try crystal light tea, drink decaf. I think that was it, but I wouldn't count tea as water, though you can make it better by not using sugar. This is something I have to work on, I love tea.

MommaPossum--dancing with the kids is great exercise! I read somewhere once that getting short bursts of exercise throughout the day will help you with weight loss, even if it's only five or ten minutes. We also exercise to kids shows, like Barney and Boobah, especially Boobah, that wears me out and I can't make it through sometimes!

Theresa

neo98292
07-27-2005, 05:40 PM
Dancing to the wiggles is good too-my kids are wiggleholics!
Melissa

Purplefirefly
07-27-2005, 05:42 PM
LOL yes, the wiggles are great too, though for some reason my daughter hasn't wanted to watch that for awhile so I forgot about it!

macdeez
07-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Hey, hope no one minds me jumping in... a few days late!

Bit about me... 26 y/o (27 in early Sept!), married just over a year to a *somewhat* weightloss-supportive husband and a SAHM to our 3 y/o daughter. Yo-yo'ed up and down the last 10 or so yrs... from 130's up to the 160's and, in fact, I weighed less at full-term pregnancy (155) than I did when I first started this process in December '04 (163). Have always been very self-conscious of my weight (my older sister was a model) and I have so much trouble seeing myself as the size I actually am. I managed to get down to 142 a few months ago and then bounced right back up to 152 and just in the last week have lost 5lbs to get me back down to 147. I set a goal of 125 and will re-evaluate that weight goal when I'm closer to achieving it. I may want to shave another 5lbs off since I'm only 5'4. We'll see.

Method: Low cal, low fat, 3-4L of water and an avg of 4mi walked per day.

Daily goal: eat more green veggies
Weekly goal: consistent 4L of water and 4mi of walking EACH and EVERY day
Monthly goal: another 5lbs lost

---

It sure sounds as though all of you are well on your way to success! WTG! :) I look forward to getting to know all of you better! Take care of yourselves and keep up the amazing work!

Stay HAPPY and HEALTHY!

~mel

neo98292
07-27-2005, 06:52 PM
welcome to the group mel-we check in through email once a week (wednesday) so if you are interested please PM me with your email address and I will add you to the list.
Melissa

SuzyMc
07-27-2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks Theresa! I filled a 2 qt. pitcher with water and put it in the refrigerator this morning and I've been working on it all day...man, that's a lot of water! :dizzy:

Welcome to the group Mel! :wave:

Purplefirefly
07-27-2005, 07:23 PM
Welcome Mel! You can do this if you just stay focused and committed, we'll help all we can.

uncovering
07-27-2005, 07:26 PM
WELCOME MEL. Hey SuzyMC, try cucumber slices in ice cold water. Great refreshing taste.

I reached my goal yesterday of 30 minutes of exercise. I have the same goal today and my eating has been fabulous which is quite surprising.

neo98292
07-27-2005, 07:30 PM
That is awesome uncovering! Never thought of cucumbers in water-will have to try. Occassionally I use fresh cut up lemon but will have to try the other too.
melissa

Purplefirefly
07-27-2005, 07:31 PM
Thanks Theresa! I filled a 2 qt. pitcher with water and put it in the refrigerator this morning and I've been working on it all day...man, that's a lot of water! :dizzy:

It does seem like a lot at first, but you get used to it. I drink most of mine just before, during, and right after my biggest workout of the day. It gives me more energy to get through it.

Theresa

macdeez
07-27-2005, 08:29 PM
Thanks so much for the welcome! Wondering though... what's this "check in" email thingy about??? :?:

I used to have trouble getting my water in too... then I decided to use 16oz glasses instead of typical 8oz ones. It's weird, but I sort of trick myself into thinking I'm not drinking as much water because I'm not filling my glass up so many times. So for a daily amt of 64oz, I'm only actually filling my glass up 4 times instead of 8. :)

Oh and last summer I was a member of TOPS and our leader brought a therapist in to teach us meridian (???) therapy, she told us that a good bit of the time when our body is telling us that we're hungry, we're actually thirsty. Don't know if that's true or not, but figured I'd share it anyway. :)

Well, I hafta run... time to get dinner started. I hope you all have a great evening! Type you all later!

~mel

SuzyMc
07-27-2005, 08:32 PM
Cucumber slices? I never would have thought about that. I did get some lemons this afternoon...I'll have to see about picking up some cucumbers.

KayElle
07-27-2005, 08:54 PM
May I join you all, also? I need all the help I can get to put an end to my yo-yo nightmare. In the last 8 years I've been as high as 265 and as low as 122 and back and forth in between the two. Right now I'm aiming to attain a goal of around 150 and be able to maintain it. I am always either losing or gaining...I have a really hard time maintaining ANY weight for more than a few days. I really want to put a stop to this as I know how unhealthy it is and I'd like to be around for a while. One of my downfalls is that it's always "all or nothing" with me. I either do very, very well or I do really, really bad. I love all kinds of sweets so that's what packs on the pounds when I'm doing really bad.

I'm 35 years old and happily married for 16 years and we have 2 terrific kids.

I'm not really following any specific plan...I just found something that works for me to lose weight so I stick with it. I don't really pay attention to carbs or protein, but I do count calories. I stick with low-fat and high fiber foods as much as possible and that seems to work for me better than anything. I'm not really much of a meat eater so I could never stick with a low carb plan. I do eat chicken, turkey, or fish on occasion, though. I love fresh fruit and veggies so that helps.

I know I don't drink enough water (mostly I just don't like water that much). I'm wondering if I can include Diet Rite as part of my water intake? I do drink quite a bit of it and it's sodium and caffiene free.

For an exercise goal I want to jog at least a mile and walk at least 2 miles 5 times a week, or substitute with an exercise video if it happens to be rainy.

I am really looking forward to being a part of this group! It looks like everyone is really committed and you are all doing great!

Kay

StillTrying923
07-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Welcome Mel & Kay!

About the iced tea..... have your tried to brew your own from a decaf tea bag and then low cal sweeten/add lemon as usual? I would think that would count toward water if there is no caffeine?

Good Luck to all on your goals!

neo98292
07-27-2005, 09:00 PM
Thanks so much for the welcome! Wondering though... what's this "check in" email thingy about???

Every Wednesday morning you are sent an email with current weight, loss ect and you fill it out and hit reply to all. It is a way for us to all be accountable to each other but still keep it private and just within our group so it isn't on a public forum. If you have any other questions or I didn't do the explanation well enough let me know-happy to answer questions.
melissa

Time2LoseWeight
07-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Hi Everyone!

If it is ok I would like to join you. I had a baby 7 weeks ago and need to get rid of the weight I put on before both of my children were born. I was so excited watching the scale go down after my son was born, but now I am watching it slowly go back up. At my highest weight I was 212 and my goal is 150. I would love to be part of your thread to get help and motivation from others.

neo98292
07-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi Julie you are more than welcome. One of the things we do is a weekly check in with each other through email. Could you PM your email address so I can get you added to our list?
thanks
melissa

sandisuze
07-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Well I drank more water than my little 20 oz. daily goal :D every day this week and I am finding it easier every day as I go along to drink more.
I have decided that grocery stores are not my friend and I have to be on guard every moment checking labels and avoiding the candy aisle. I have also decided NOT to take others as in hubby or kids with me when I go - This means I can put healthy foods in the cart and take time to follow my list. I spend alot of time in making a list so I can eat better and then can't follow it with kids fussing and hubby putting cookies in the cart
I am also really finding lots of great tips on the forums , one was mixing cottage cheese with yoghurt for a more filling snack and I tried it and it was GOOD.
I did get a bit down :( when I was reading forum posts and seeing how much exercise everyone does compared to me But then I thought well gee no two people are the same and you have just started after NOT exercising for years.
I will one day look back at my journals and laugh when I can do miles on the bike and lift weights with no prob.
Keep up the good work everyone and thank you for all the :thanks: support!

Hmm Cukes in water.. I'd prolly end up eating the cukes.. but I'll try it ..

neo98292
07-27-2005, 10:27 PM
Don't feel alone with the excersize thing-I am awful! Course just basic housework gets my heartrate up-not sure if it due to excersion or cause I had just cleaned it and it is already trashed again-all things come at their own pace. Don't worry about eating the cukes, not only are they extremely low in calories and usually a free item in any food plan but they are good for your kidneys. The way through the grocery store is usually around the perimeter-there you get produce, dairy, meat, ect and I try my best not to take at least my oldest child and if I have to, we set one item that he is allowed to have before we even get to the store and if he bugs me for other things, that one thing goes back-it does make shopping a much nicer experience-
melissa

macdeez
07-28-2005, 02:04 AM
I managed to get 4mi of walking in tonight and 4.5L of water! More than enough exercise, what with all the running to the bathroom! :lol:

I'll pm you my email address, Melissa, as soon as I finish this post up. Looking forward to Wednesday already! :) I LOVE the accountability aspect of it... I think that might just drive me to up my usual 4mi to 6. :)

I've also heard that sticking to the perimeter of the grocery store is the best idea... you steer clear of all those processed foods that just wreak havoc on one's system (no matter how good they taste). It's difficult though... 'specially with a family. Usually I'm incapable of having anything in the house that I can't have, but this time it's different somehow. Tonight I made perogies for DH and DD while I opted for something else.

Sandisuze, don't worry one bit about the differences in exercise! Do what you can and try to find something that you really enjoy. It'll make exercising seem like you aren't. I thoroughly enjoy walking and do so most nights with my husband. It's our time to connect after a long day...! :)

Anyways ladies, I must be off. I hope you all have a great night (what's left of it). Take care. Type you all tomorrow.

~mel

cadwell125
07-28-2005, 04:55 AM
welcome to the group mel, kay, and julie. i am so happy everyone is doing so well. i pretty much messed up today. i haven't counted the calories up yet, but i had half a pint of red bean ice cream. 340 calories, yikes! i think that may put me over my target a little. but everything else was healthy.. veggies, lean ground beef/turkey, rice, puffed rice crackers, cranberries. my husband is always encouraging me to be bad!! he picked up the ice cream at the store, and is all like, "look what i got for you honey!"
i also think i am going to skip the gym tonight :( it's already 1 a.m., so it ain't gonna happen.

Purplefirefly
07-28-2005, 10:12 AM
Okay, I only got 2 miles in yesterday, and even that was a stretch. I didn't get any in during the day, and that always means I won't finish my goal :( The kids were just way too fussy to even think about it! I just wanted to fall into bed actually, but made myself do the 2 miles first...at least it's something! Now we are going to the mountains for the weekend so I will definitely not finish my goal for the week. That's okay...tomorrow is another week and there will be lots of swimming over the weekend, so that counts.

Have a great weekend everyone if I don't make it back here!

Theresa

jjeanne
07-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Good morning!

I had a bit of a bad spell last night in terms of eating. I had a couple of spoonfuls of ice cream and a handful of chocolate chips. Maybe I need to make time to exercise at night as well so I occupy my time better.

I already did my treadmill walk and I added a couple of weight exercises for my arms. I am in a wedding next month and would love to tone those arms a bit if possible. They are so flabby right now. Of course, the dress is sleeveless.

Tonight's eating is going to be a bit of a challenge since it is my birthday and my DH is taking me out to eat. I guess if I watch what I eat all day, I can get the yummy meal that I want for dinner (chicken cordon bleu).

SuzyMc
07-28-2005, 10:33 AM
:woo: Happy Birthday Jeanne! :woo:

Jeanne, I've always heard that calories don't count on your birthday...or is it don't count calories on your birthday? Either way, enjoy your dinner out and don't worry too much about the calories for that one meal. Have a wonderful birthday!

sandisuze
07-28-2005, 11:01 AM
:hb: Happy Birthday Jeanne! :gift:
I agree Calories do not count on B -days!

:( Hubby wants to go get BBQ tonight as we have to go to a memorial service and people from work are going to the BBQ place afterwards.. I am going to call or stop by this afternoon to check out the menu so I can pre- plan my meal and stay away from the garlic bread and french fries..I will eat carefully today as not to go over meal plan calories for today.

AND OH MY GOSH I a stupid head ( as my 12 yo would say ;) ) I was sitting here going unnn I can do about 12 minutes on teh exercise bike before I am gasping and legs turn to rubber.. etc.. So I thought gee do your 12 minutes in the a.m. and 12 minutes in the p.m. you'll be getting a bit more exercise that way .. and maybe work up to 13, 14, 15... soon i will be :lol: at myself when I can do miles without puffing.

Tried the water and cuke thing.. neat.. snack and drink all in one ;)
Thanks for all the advice and wisdom!

jjeanne
07-28-2005, 11:12 AM
So even fattening delicious cake doesn't count? :lol My mom was going to bring a cake over today and I told her to keep it. I have been known to polish off whatever is left over (which usually amounts to half a cake).

SuzyMc
07-28-2005, 11:25 AM
One piece of birthday cake doesn't count, but if you are talking about eating the whole cake that's a different story! :lol:

Sandi, good idea about using the bike a little in the morning and a little in the evening! I think you're right...soon you'll be up to 30 minutes twice a day! Good for you! :cp:

I'm going to push the lawnmower around the yard for a couple of hours this afternoon, so I'll really be getting my exercise today! :cool:

LauraB
07-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Jeanne
Happy Birthday
Have a wonderful birthday dinner. It will have zero calories. Birthday dinner doesn't count, but it was good to not let a cake into the house. It will call to you from the fridge till it's finished.
I think it's good to plan a falling off of a food plan once in a while, just for one treat or meal. The hard part is to get right back on and not turn it into a food binge and then feel awful afterward.

Maybe we can all tell each other when we plan a falling off, for an occasion or just because you need a break, and then it will be easier to get back on the food plan.
Laura

cadwell125
07-28-2005, 11:59 AM
happy birthday jeanne!!

:balloons:

laura is totally right! birthday dinner has zero calories. way to go resisting the cake. i am already anticipating the horror of not being able to pig out on my leftover wedding cake next week. i am halfway hoping that it will be totally frostburned and gross because it was *soooooo* good a year ago. ;)
have fun!

KayElle
07-28-2005, 12:00 PM
Good morning everybody!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY jjeanne! Definitely you should be able to splurge for a birthday meal and a piece of cake without feeling guilty about it. Enjoy your day!

Purplefirefly...Have a great weekend in the mountains! I'm sure you will find a way to fit some exercise in!

Sandisuze I had to do the same thing when I first started exercising (a little in am and pm)...only it was more like 5 minutes at a time at first. You will be amazed at how fast it will get easier.

I had a good day yesterday...I stuck to my eating plan and I jogged a mile, walked 4 miles, did an ab workout, and spent 15 minutes scooping the barn out(that has to count, right?). I definitely did NOT get all my water, but I did drink a lot of Diet Rite. Today I am going to work on drinking more water instead.

The bad thing that happened was...my scale broke! I stepped on and it said I lost 30 pounds! That would have been awesome but I knew better...so I had to go get a different one. Apparently my scale has been "off" since I started because I am 5 pounds heavier on the new one and I know I didn't gain 5 pounds overnight, either. Soooo I've adjusted my numbers since I know the new one is more accurate. I know it's only a mental thing but it's just kind of disheartening to have to adjust the numbers UP when I know I've still been losing. Oh, well....what is 5 pounds in the overall picture. Not much, I know, but it's still a bummer.

Hope everybody has a great day and have fun mowing your yard Suzy!

neo98292
07-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Happy birthday to yooooouuu! Happy birthday to Yoooouuuu! Have a great one Jjeane and I think you are on the right track by planning ahead for your outing and watching what you eat during the day. There are going to be things in our life and we just have to learn to plan ahead for them. Our annual tacky bbq is coming up in aug so I have already planned what I am going to have. Hotdog instead of hamburger to save a point and I will make my own potato salad and bring it with since I think I can get that for 3pts or something and then some watermelon-plenty to eat really but will all be factored in so there is no reason to feel guilty. I think one of the reasons we feel guilty is because it ISN'T planned for. If it is already a plan and executed the way we figure it out, there is absolutely no reason to feel guilty. Not sure that made sense...What I did jjeane to counteract evening eating is I get 1 diet rite soda, put it in a glass with ice(make it a production so to speak) and I started doing counted cross stitch and nurse that soda for the evening. I tell you I am now so focused on counting stitches, I don't even think about what is in the fridge anymore and the voices have left too-(the ones that call out to come finish what was left at dinner)

Have fun on your trip to the mountains! I know kids can hold lots of things up-for me it is housework. I usually have at least one who is having a rough day and wants to be held constantly so I am trying to learn to roll with the punches a bit better and realize for at least another year or so, that is how life is going to be.

Ok speaking of those whiney days-looks like this is one of them-I can't tell you how many times I have been interupted here lol. talk to you guys later!
melissa

KayElle
07-28-2005, 01:40 PM
I completely agree with the comments about planned splurges. I think it's necessary to let ourselves have a special treat without guilt once in a while. For myself...having something "bad" unplanned can derail an entire day or more for me because I get so upset with myself. If it's planned, then it's something to look forward to and can be compensated for.

macdeez
07-28-2005, 02:47 PM
I absolutely agree with all of you... we need to allow ourselves a treat once in awhile. If we don't, we go through that whole "deprivation" thing and it's counter-productive. I think that's where a lot of binges stem from. At least mine do anyway. But yes, it should be planned out. If you know you're going out for a some sort of celebratory dinner, make sure to stay on target for the first part of the day. :)

cadwell... I know what you mean about the wedding cake! Our's was soooooo (!!!) good! My mouth is watering just thinking about it...! :lol: I'll cross my fingers that it's not nearly as good tasting as it was a yr ago! ;) Don't fret too much about the ice-cream, today is another day to focus on staying OP!

Purplefirefly... 2mi is 2mi! It may not have been what you wanted to achieve, but it's still a good bit of exercise! :) Hope you have a great time with your friends and family up in the mountains! Take care! :)

Jeanne... A VERY happy birthday to you!
:cb: :gift: :dancer: :woo: :queen: :hb: :queen: :woo: :dancer: :gift: :cb:
I hope you have a wonderful day today! :) Good call on the cake... that's dedication! :) Have a great time out for dinner tonight... and enjoy!

Sandisuze... Great thinking about getting on the bike twice a day! You will rack up the minutes in NO time flat! :) Great planning ahead for the barbeque dinner tonight! You're certainly on your way!

SuzyMc... Great exercise, mowing the lawn! Sure do work up a sweat! Keep up the good work! :)

LauraB... I think it's a great idea to plan our indulgences with each other. There's that accountability thing again! :)

KayElle... Sorry to hear that your scale broke! :( Don't worry about the 5lb difference... you're obviously working very hard what with all that glorious exercise, it'll come off in NO time flat! :)

As for me, I'm aiming for another 4L of water and at least another 4mi walked. I'd love to make it 6 but will try not to be disappointed if I don't make it. :) I'm hoping to be down another 2lbs by WI next Tuesday so I absolutely need to focus on staying OP.

Everything else here is good. DH has a long weekend from work (it's BC-Day on Monday) so hopefully we'll be able to get some miles racked up. I'd love to get away to the beach on Saturday... I may even feel ok enough to sport a bathing suit w/out shorts. Who knows? Sunday we have a wedding to go to and I know it's buffet-style dinner so I'll be sure to make healthy selections! :)

Anyway ladies, I hope you're all doing well today! VERY best wishes sent your way! Take care and I'll type you all later. :)

Stay HAPPY and HEALTHY! :)

~mel

neo98292
07-28-2005, 03:07 PM
quick question-as our bars go down, do we have to go through and edit each time and copy and paste again? of if you change it on the first part, will it alter on its own? I have been sitting her playing with all this and I did get the avitar hehehe was happy there were angels-I love them. Ok asked now need to fix kids lunch-they are all eyeing my ankles about now.
melissa

macdeez
07-28-2005, 03:31 PM
Melissa... I believe you can change the tracker by just adjusting the numbers in your signature. Don't quote me on that though. ;) Good job setting an avatar... very nice! :D

~mel

neo98292
07-28-2005, 03:33 PM
Just goes to show you CAN teach an old dog new tricks LOL-will try that next week after weigh in and see how it goes.
thanks
melissa

SuzyMc
07-28-2005, 07:55 PM
I'm proud of myself...I drank my 2 quarts of water, I pushed the lawnmower for 1 hour and 45 minutes, and I'm on track with my calorie intake for the day! Woohoo!

How did everyone else do today?

neo98292
07-28-2005, 08:16 PM
Pretty good day-I did get more water in than normal although I am still short on what I need. Foodwise, right on target and tried new recipe tonite and I thought it was pretty tasty. Going to mom's to see company visiting from arizona so I am taking a diet rite with me just in case there are other things there that I don't want to eat or drink. Mom is usually really good about it-it is Dad who has junk around-lol. I am getting soooo excited and I haven't felt like this about weight loss in the longest time. I do attribute this to you group of gals-I don't feel all alone anymore. I want to thank you all for being here.
melissa

SuzyMc
07-28-2005, 08:27 PM
I am getting soooo excited and I haven't felt like this about weight loss in the longest time. I do attribute this to you group of gals-I don't feel all alone anymore. I want to thank you all for being here.

I agree Melissa! Joining this site and group was the best thing I could have done for myself! Reporting in here daily and knowing that you all are here to help me stay on track really makes all the difference!

StillTrying923
07-28-2005, 10:16 PM
Ditto - It's great to have a place to go to read about everyone's successes and to share my own.

Melissa - just go into your signature and change the weight number in the text - you don;t have to recreate it.
Happy B-Day Jeanne!
Planned splurges is a good idea! I never thought of it that way - That is something I should start doing, because even a little taste of something leads to a binge sometimes for me.
I didn;t exercise at all today :(. But did get my orthodics!!! My podiatrist said to start back walking slowly so my feet can get used to them. So looks like swimming and walking are the way to go!
Good Luck to all!

LauraB
07-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Tonight I felt good for the first time in weeks. Apparently I have had Lyme disease (caused by deer ticks here in NY state) for 5 or 6 weeks, but the rash and then blood test and result just came last week. I attributed my terrible fatigue and general dullness and aching arms and legs to the stress of my son's July 9th wedding and all the company and meals and running around. Each day now that I am taking antibiotics, I have several hours of fatigue and pain, but when it goes away I feel better than I have in a long time. I think when I feel bad I kind of accept it, and learn to live with it. And lately that's what I've been doing with my extra pounds of fat. But now I'm so glad to have found this site. I've had 3 pretty good eating days, no sugar, very moderate carbs, stay out of the fridge.
I love the idea that I am connected to other women who understand and I can go to the site anytime and read what happening. I want to succeed because that's what the group is about.
Laura

jjeanne
07-28-2005, 10:48 PM
My husband, gotta love him. We're not really ones to exchange gifts because we usually buy what we want/need whenever it is wanted or needed (within reaon, of course). But this year he bought me a present along with a beautiful card. You won't believe what he bought me ... 4 Reese's Peanut Butter Cup candy bars. They are my favorite. What the heck was he thinking?!

Dinner, btw, was delicious. My mom was here to watch the kids and is sleeping over so I think I'll take advantage and do a longer workout tomorrow.

neo98292
07-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Thank you for the tip in the signature-at least I only have to do it once a week lol. Husbands go figure-my ex was the same way everytime I started to do something about my weight-for me it was Ben and Jerry's. Don't know why they do that but I am so glad that you had a nice dinner.

LauraB-so sorry to hear about your ailment. I have heard that is awful stuff. I agree it is a good thing that there is a place where we can all connect. I think any type of obesity whether it is mild or moderate is such and isolating condition. For some reason whatever we go through we think we are the only ones who think or feel that way. It is nice to see so many of the same things I go through, others grapple with also and we now also have a sense of "belonging". I am happy I found this place.

SuzyMc
07-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Laura, lyme disease is a horrible illness...hopefully it was caught in time and you won't have any lasting effects from it. Feel better soon!

Jeanne, I'm glad you had a nice dinner. Peanut butter cups? Oh my...not exactly a diet friendly gift, huh? :lol: Oh well, remember what I said...birthday calories don't count. :lol:

jillybean720
07-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Woohoo--official TOPS weigh-in was tonight--I am down 3.75 pounds for this week :D

neo98292
07-29-2005, 12:08 AM
JILL CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! That is awesome!

jjeanne
07-29-2005, 09:05 AM
I remembered what you said about birthday calories so I split one of the packages with him and sent the rest with him to work today.

The scale didn't agree that b-day calories don't count so I am off to exercise.

KayElle
07-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Good morning all!

CONGRATS JILL!! That's great! Wow! I'd be thrilled if I lost that much in a week!

Sorry to hear about the Lyme Disease, Laura, but I'm glad they've figured out the cause of your pain and fatigue so that you can start getting better.

Congrats on the new orthodics, StillTrying, and may you have much luck getting used to them!

Well, it's the thought that counts, right jjeanne? That was a great idea to have a little and send the rest off with him. My husband has done that kind of thing to me when I've lost weight in the past. I always thought it was kind of sweet of him, I'd much rather have a husband that would buy me treats once in a while instead of one that would always be after me about losing weight (bless his heart he has never said one negative thing to me regarding my weight struggles). He doesn't buy me the sweets anymore...he's finally realized that with my family history of full diabetes, heart disease, and cancer that I need to do something NOW so to reduce the liklihood of health problems later. I am sure your husband meant well, too, sometimes their brains just work differently than ours or something! Glad you enjoyed your b-day dinner!

It is also a huge motivator to come here and read what everybody is doing. I know this group is just what I need to stay on track. I had a really good day exercise-wise and food-wise yesterday and I KNOW that it's because I can check in here and talk about it. It's the most I've done in ages...I jogged a mile and walked SIX miles! That is really a lot for me. I also did my regular 10 minute ab routine. I can tell already that today won't be as good for me because it's rainy out. I really need to spend some time in the garden today if it is possible at all (mmmm...fresh tomatoes). I really have a hard time exercising indoors on rainy or hot days in the summer, but I am going to have to make myself do it if it doesn't clear off outside pretty soon. I also need to start lifting weights but I tried it a few weeks ago and ended up getting mild backaches. I have a herniated disk so I really try to avoid anything that aggravates it because I don't want to have to have surgery for it.

I am still really struggling with drinking enough water. Will try again today!

sandisuze
07-29-2005, 10:15 AM
WHOOOO HOOO WAY TO GO Jill! :cb:

Laura, I am so glad they found what was wrong- now maybe you can feel better.. :)

Jeanne.. PB butter cups??? Oh I would not have been able to be that brave and given them up.. Peanut Butter and chocolate should be their own food groups IMO.. :D
Good for you in resisting!

( I am on a smilie kick today ;) )
YAY! it's FRIDAY and only working half a day, till noon, meeting hubby for lunch and finishing up school shopping ..OHH joy! don't need much just a ruler, different crayons and a pair of "Mary Janes" for the youngest-
I am doing good on water and rode bike for 12 minutes this a.m. will tackle again tonight, Food was good even with going out to dinner- had a good salad, bypassing the bad foods :devil: on the salad bar! they even had a good LF dressing available. had a nice portion of chicken and 1/2 baked sweet potato. the hardest part was sitting around afterwards while everyone talked and had dessert (I did not have dessert!)
I have decided NOT to weigh myself unitl my next goal date of August 24. If I continue to eat right and exercise I will lose weight and inches. I will not let the scale control my eating habits. I need to eat healthy for life, not just to lose pounds. (rant over :D )
Have a great day all and thanks for the support!

jjeanne
07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
Hope I got everyone:
Jill - Congrats on your loss! How do you like TOPS? I was thinking of joining since there is one about 5 blocks away. I could walk there, but the meeting ends when it is dark and I don't think I'd be comfortable walking alone at that time. I know they don't give you a diet to follow, but are the meetings along the lines of a WW meeting?

Laura - sorry about the Lyme Disease, but glad the medicine gives you some relief. Where in NY do you live? I am on Long Island.

StillTrying - I hope the orthodics make your feet fell much better. I was fitted for and received orthodics. I wore them for about 6 months or so, but then I got lazy about moving them from shoe to shoe. Now one is missing.

Melissa - you'll get there with the water. What was your recipe?

Suzy - Holy geez! Pushing a lawn mower -- you're my husband's kind of gal! I don't go near that machine. I tried to mow the lawn once last summer and was dying. That is exhausting!

Kaye - that was a lot of exercise! Good for you!

Well, I just completed my exercise for the morning. I walked on the treadmill for 36 min. I followed Prevention.com's speed interval workout. It is a 5 min warm-up, 5 min walking at a moderate speed (I did 3.3 mph), 2 min. jog (I did 4 mph), 5 min walk, 2 min. jog, 5 min walk, 2 min jog, 5 min walk, and 5 min cool down. Then I did some stretching exercises and some weights (not much since I am just starting). I may try to get another round of exercise in tonight after DH gets home -- gotta work off that dinner!

Have a great day!

KayElle
07-29-2005, 10:34 AM
Good for you on skipping the dessert! Restaurant desserts always look soooo good....it's not easy to resist!

And good for you for being strong enough to stay off the scale until your goal date! I am working on not giving that thing so much power, I know it's not a good thing to be a slave to those numbers. I have a hard time even skipping one day of stepping on it.

jjeanne
07-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Sandi - I missed you. Wow, what dedication at dinner. And no dessert! I am impressed. Dessert is my favorite food. When do your kids go back to school? School doesn't start here until Sept.

jjeanne
07-29-2005, 10:37 AM
I think my 3 yr. old was playing with the scale. I hope she didn't adjust it too much. I think I am going to spring for a digital one anyway.

KayElle
07-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Good way to start the day with a workout jjeanne. Makes you feel better for the whole day, doesn't it?

Ah...a 3 year old...you have your hands full, then. I'ts been a while since mine were that little but I did babysit for a two year old for a week earlier this month when her mom (my sister) had a new baby. She really wore me out! Wow she was a lot of fun and full of energy, though. I wish I had gotten a digital the other day when I got my new scale. I don't like my new one much. Aside from the fact it added 5 lbs. to me...the numbers are too close together and really hard for me to read even with my contacts in.

My kids go back to school (and I go back to work) at the end of August. I am looking forward to it but I'm a little worried about finding time to exercise. It's a lot easier to fit it in when we are home all day! I try to walk in the school before and after work but sometimes there's just too much to do.

neo98292
07-29-2005, 11:15 AM
I got the tortilla casserole that is listed under the WW recipes on the site. It is 6pts on WW and I think it is like 310 calories. It was pretty easy to make too which I like. I know I am bad about the scale. I do weigh everyday-but I don't get upset if I am the same or happen to go up a pound-know it can go up and down during the week so the only number that "counts" is the one on Wednesday when we do our check in. I am so happy to see all the success everyone is having! It is great.
Melissa

KayElle
07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
I saw that recipe and it reminds me a lot of something my Mom used to make when I was younger and it was one of my favorites, but now I don't like ground beef anymore...I wonder how it would be with some other kind of meat.

neo98292
07-29-2005, 11:55 AM
I would think that either gr. turkey or even shredded chicken would be just as tasty-I might try doing chicken instead myself.

jillybean720
07-29-2005, 12:07 PM
jjeane--I have never been to a WW meeting. TOPS is basically just a support group. Every chapter does their own thing, but at ours, we open with the TOPS pledge, then go around the rooms saying whether we each lost or gained (if you gained, you don't have to say how much if you don't want), then we announce the biggest loser for the week. Then we have some sort of program. Last night it was the 5 most important steps for weight loss, last week it was the importance of calcium, one week it was the excellent benefits of peanuts--all kinds of different things. We also run contests--right now we are doing our Summer Olympics Contest, and it is so successful! It's encouraging because it's not only based on how much you lose, but you also get points for drinking your water, keeping in touch with your team during the week, keeping a food journal, things like that. I have only been a member since early March, but I've lost almost 25 pounds since then, which isn't a lot, but I don't think I would have even lost that much without their constant support (and of course the support on here, too!). At the end of our meeting, we go around and ask our successful losers what they did that week that they feel made them successful. It's really great to hear how other people do things and what helps them because I can sometimes apply that to myself.

MistyDreamer
07-29-2005, 12:14 PM
Well I did it, I went to the gym after work. It wasn't easy, I work 14 hr nights and all I wanted to really do was to climb into bed. Now I have to try to keep it up. I've been doing better on the diet as I started keeping a food diary on my PDA. It seems to help me make better choices plus if I'm at a restuarant I can look up the dinners and chose the best one. I have really enjoyed being a part of this group. It helps me to keep going every day, so thanks to everyone for sharing a little bit of their lives with me. Now I really AM going to fall into bed!

LauraB
07-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Thanks for all your good thoughts.
Jeanne- I'm in Dutchess County, 90 miles north of the city, in the Hudson Valley. Very small town, very pretty, nice people.
Sandisuze- I think you are so smart to avoid the scale for a few weeks. I haven't had the courage to face it yet, but when I do it will be every 2 weeks, cause you can be perfect and the scale doesn't show it and then so disappointed.

An Idea!!
I definately feel a change in my committment since joining this group. I've decided to plan a falling off in September, maybe Labor Day. Anything like ice cream, my favorite, can wait till then. That way I don't have to feel deprived. I know I can have the treat then. When I crave something sweet or see some else eating what I want, I can say Labor day. Does anyone else like this idea and want to join me? Basically it's really stay on your plan, and then Laobr Day fall off and then end the falling off 8:00 PM and get right back on. It doesn't mean you have to binge all day, just plan to eat whatever, a favorite meal or some treats or a restaurant, do it, and then get right back on.
What do you think?
Laura

neo98292
07-29-2005, 01:16 PM
awesome Misty! We never do anything on labor day-but I do have our annual tacky BBQ at mom's which I already have planned for. I did find some strawberry pops through schwan's which are only 1 pt so that made me happy. We bring a tacky gift and exchange them for a good laugh. Kinda stuck on what to bring for that-this is totally non weight related but do you think it would be tacky to give a framed photo of myself? I thought it kind of was and I can't ask anyone in the family cause then it would give it away. It is an older photo of me in sweats LOL or if you can think of something that would be tacky let me know.
melissa

macdeez
07-29-2005, 02:19 PM
Melissa... That tacky barbeque sounds like a whole lot of fun! I love the idea of the framed pic of you in sweats! :) I'm sure your family would get a great kick outta it!

Laura B... I'm totally with you on the Labour Day thing. Actually, my 27th birthday is that weekend so I had pretty much decided to enjoy the weekend food-wise. Not go over-board but just enjoy it. So I'm in. :) Just over a month to go, so staying OP shouldn't be toooooooooo hard. I hope. ;) I'm very very sorry to hear about the Lyme Disease! I really hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself! :)

MistyDreamer... WOW! I'm really very impressed by your attendance to the gym following an 14hr night @ work! That's crazy-dedication! Keep up the awesome work... and I hope you get some good sleep today! :)

Jill... Congrats on the loss! :bravo: I bet your entire TOPS group was thrilled for you! :) Keep up the awesome work! And personally, I think 25lbs in 5mos is KILLER! :D

KayElle... Sorry to hear you're having trouble reading that new scale of your's. I totally hear you about hardly being able to skip a day w/out stepping on it...! I wish I had more control to just WI once a week. Bah. Great job getting all those miles in! :D

Sandisuze... Great job resisting temptation last night at dinner... and I'm even more impressed that you were able to sit through dessert without indulging yourself. That's fabulous! :)

jjeane... Glad to hear that you had a lovely time out for dinner last night! And I'm absolutely wowed by your restraint with the pbcups! *Big ol' pat on the back* :) Keep up the amazing work! :)

StillTrying... I hope your orthodics help! Let us know how it goes, ok?

SuzyMc... Good job getting all that water in and for pushing the lawn-mower 'round for nearly 2hrs! That's crazy-effort! :)

As for myself... I managed to get in another 6.5mi last night. It was so nice out... a little warm, but once we rounded the bend near the lake, there was a great breeze which really helped to cool us off. I also got in 4.5L of water yesterday and eating was right on target. I'm having a really difficult time staying off the scale... I started out saying I would only WI once a week... then 3x... but now it's every day. I won't count my losses/gains until Tuesday morning (which I've deemed my official WI day). It's hard when you see the numbers go down and you want to get really excited about it. On the otherhand, I don't want to get ahead of myself, you know? Meh.

I really want express my gratitude to all of you... it really helps me to stay OP when I have your support and understanding. So thank you. :)

My plan-of-attack today is: another 4L of water, 4mi walked and eating OP. Hmmmm... that's pretty much my plan every day! ;)

I hope you all have a wonderful start to your weekend! Take care and I'll type you all later. Best wishes for a HAPPY and HEALTHY day!

~mel

SuzyMc
07-29-2005, 03:09 PM
Are we all on a roll or what?! The motivation and determination in this group is AWSOME!

Jill ~ Congratulations on your loss! Keep it up!

Jeanne ~ I know how hard it was to part with those peanut butter cups...that takes amazing willpower! Good for you!

Sandi ~ I agree with you! Taking off these extra pounds isn't about a number on the scale it's more about making a change to be healthier.

Melissa ~ I love the idea of a photo of yourself for a gift, but as long as it's supposed to be tacky why not go to a thrift shop and find some tacky clothes, hat and shoes and dress the part for a photo? A funny pose and a tacky frame (maybe something with rhinestones ;) ) and you would have a REALLY tacky gift! :lol:

Misty~ Your determination is amazing! I give you lots of credit for going to the gym after a day like that!

Mel ~ Don't get too stressed about that scale. Keep going...you're doing great!

I had a breakfast meeting this morning at my favorite bagel shop...I SO wanted a big fat bagel with cream cheese, but I ate my usual cereal and banana before I went to the meeting and just had a cup of tea at the meeting instead. I'm not sure what the rest of the day is going to bring, but hopefully I can get in some kind of exercise later today or this evening.

Keep up the good work everyone!

neo98292
07-29-2005, 03:39 PM
I am going to make a frame out of popsicle sticks and lordy if you could see me in this picture-I can't believe I never ripped it up when it came in. I am going to let my kids decorate the sticks for me. It is getting harder the longer we do this to "out tacky" each other. One year my Dad got some troll doll earings! He actually wore them for the day too-we all laughed everytime we saw him.
melissa

jjeanne
07-29-2005, 04:35 PM
That BBQ is such a great idea!

KayElle
07-29-2005, 04:45 PM
Wow, Misty! That's amazing that you have the energy to go to the gym after putting in a 14 hour night at work. Awesome!

Laura I like the Labor Day idea. I'm sure I can pick out something yummy to splurge on, and maybe that will help me get through a couple of days at the State Fair this month without completely blowing it if I can just keep it in my mind that I can have something special on Labor Day.

Melissa this is the first time I've ever heard of such a thing as a tacky barbeque, but it sounds like a blast. The popscicle stick frame with a less than perfect picture is a great idea. You must have a really fun family.

Mel it sounds like you had a great day yesterday. That is a lot of walking and a lot of water! Good job!

Good job going to your meeting prepared to resist that bagel, Suzy. I know have a really hard time saying no to a bagel.

It finally did clear up enough for me to get outside and get some exercise today, and I picked a nice bowl of cherry tomatoes out of the garden, too. Hopefully I can get another walk in later. My Mom mentioned that she'd like to get together and go walking with me in the evenings so I'm hoping it's nice enough that we can do that tonight.

uncovering
07-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Congrats jill on your weight loss!

Hmm, I dunno about the labor day splurge. I feel it may turn into the september splurge for me.

God, I'm having the worst cravings today :(. And I was so enjoying not having sugar cravings. I also have had a constant headache and have been in an agressive/hostile mood for two days. And I'm not PMSing! Is it possible to go through sugar withdrawl two weeks after giving it up?

neo98292
07-29-2005, 09:27 PM
Has it been a higher temperature there than normal? and if so, are you drinking enough water? heat can make a person cranky and too much heat can give you headaches-heat stroke. My first thought was PMS but you put a halt to that one lol. I actually drank 1.5liters of water today!!!!! That is a first for me I tell you but it has been a bit warm here too the last couple days. As with all cravings, these too will pass, try doing something "busy" to get your mind off it. It might help.
Melissa

LauraB
07-29-2005, 11:21 PM
Uncovering- have you had less coffee or tea lately? That sometimes gives me a headache. Are you an emotional eater like me? Lot's of times I eat to stuff down feelings, especially when I'm in distress over one of my children. If I eat I won't have to feel bad. So maybe you're feeling hostile cause you can't use food to help when you are distressed. How's that for me playing shrink?

I am one of the women who rush to the fridge when something goes wrong. When one of my sons was having troubles, I would open the fridge as I answered the phone expecting some awful conversation that would upset me. My biggest weight gain came several years ago when my absolute best friend moved 1000 miles away. I was distraught and every night I would wait till everyone was asleep and eat a whole gallon of ice cream.
I am trying to be more aware now, but it's so hard.
Laura

neo98292
07-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Good insight-never thought about caffeine intake and I can so relate to emotional eating. I know if I miss my coffee, I have headaches so I don't miss my coffee lol.
melissa

uncovering
07-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Laura - OH MY GOD good catch! When I look at the past week, my coffee intake *has* decreased (I liked my lattes full of sugar). And you know, it really helped for me to stop and think about the emotional part of it. You know, I have all this time now that I used to spend eating alone. I suppose that time is now spent actually feeling my emotions, and I'm probably pissed as all get out that I can't stuff a muffin in my mouth to numb myself. Thanks.

Melissa, good idea. I think I'll go clean my dresser.

You know, this is my first week on the site and it is becoming such a support in my life. Amazing.

SuzyMc
07-30-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm an emotional eater as well...I always have been. I eat when I'm happy, sad, mad, worried and especially when I'm bored. Those are hard habits to break!!! I'm trying to find something else to do instead of eating...drink a glass of water, clean, or work on a quilt for a few minutes. It seems to be working, but I'll admit there are still times when I REALLY just want to sit down with a spoon and a carton of butter pecan ice cream! :lol:

LauraB
07-30-2005, 10:11 AM
I am definately an emotional eater. That's why I decided to make Labor Day a falling off day. Even if I can't figure out exactly why I want to eat now, tired, bored, lonely, angry, mad, worried, etc, I can tell myself it's ok, I'll eat it Labor Day.
I'm not worried about Labor Day becoming a month long binge cause I am planning it, and the big part of the plan is that at 8:00 pm, it's over.
I've never been able to that before. Falling off was always the beginning of the end whatever I was on. It's just good to know that I'll be able to stop.
Laura

jjeanne
07-30-2005, 10:12 AM
Whew! I was getting scared there for a minute. Yesterday the scale was up all day -- like 3 lbs. But, fortunately, today it is back down. I guess that's why we're supposed to weigh ourselves more infrequently. I think I need to hide the scale.

Anyway, off to exercise. More later!

neo98292
07-30-2005, 12:03 PM
I am terrible about weighing every day. I just can't seem to stay away from it but even if I happen to be up one day I say it doesn't count and look at the big picture and only Wednesday morning counts. My goal today is to drink at lease 1.5 litres of water again. That is something I have to work on-not sure why-I think I just get so busy during the day, I forget to drink after my morning coffee.
melissa

jjeanne
07-30-2005, 12:32 PM
So last night I went shopping. There are some great sales out there right now. Unfortunately, I just bought a bunch of tops off the rack with trying them on and not one thing fits nicely. :mad: I am cursed with a large chest, which is only compounded by the fact that I am still breastfeeding my 3 mo. old son. Everything is sooooooo tight across the chest. The only luck I had was in finding shoes for the wedding I am in next month.

neo98292
07-30-2005, 12:37 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about! By the time I get a shirt to fit me across the chest, I have about a foot of sleeve that goes past my hand. When I was nursing my son (long time ago), I was a 46G. I used to tell people my chest got there 10 minutes before I did.

jjeanne
07-30-2005, 12:50 PM
:D Ah, so you know what I mean! I am pretty sure the last bra I special ordered was a 40G. I think, however, I was bigger with my daughter because my friend told me I carried her in my chest! :lol:

jjeanne
07-30-2005, 12:52 PM
And I can't believe nursing is not a recognized activity on fitday.com. I thought it was supposed to burn some ridiculous number of calories a day.

neo98292
07-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Yes it does burn alot of calories but it doesn't bring the heart rate up or work the muscles ect. I know when I was losing weight after my first child, I was eating like 2600 calories a day and losing weight like gangbusters. Of course only being 19 at the time, didn't hurt matters.

macdeez
07-30-2005, 02:10 PM
I know what you all mean about being emotional eaters... I am too. But oddly enough, I go from one extreme to the other. Not eating for long periods of time. Eating ALL the time. It depends on what's causing the distress and how I manage it. Last year when my grandmother died, who I was always very close with, I didn't eat for a little over a week. I just couldn't get food down. Other times, I've polished off numerous slices of pepperoni pizza, several chocolate bars and ice cream. Neither habit is healthy for me, I realize that. I'm just focussing on getting three healthy meals in right now, recondition what I eat, how I eat and when I eat. It's definitely a process.

I've decided to ask DH to hide the scale during the week until Tuesday morning at which time I can WI. Since purchasing it a week ago, I swear I've stood on the darn thing more times than I can count. The only WI that counts is my official WI day, I know that, but I get so excited about seeing results.

I'm also fighting my entire self-image. After losing nearly 20lbs, I still see myself as I was at my starting weight. I know I'm not there because my clothes fit better, of course, but I don't see much difference. My husband says I could be 110-soaking wet and I would still have the same perception. Does anyone else feel this way about themselves?

Today looks good, hoping to get in 7mi to make up for my missed walk yesterday. We have a wedding to go to on Sunday and spent longer than we had thought searching for that perfect gift for the happy couple. We found a beautiful silver frame and had it engraved with their names and wedding date. My cousin has already been married once before and since she did the whole registry thing then, we figured it would be better to go the more "sentimental" route with the gift this time. :)

Well, I hope you all have a great day today! Take care of yourselves, stay happy and healthy! Very best wishes sent your way!

~mel

neo98292
07-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I think body image is a huge struggle for women in general and begins at a young age for most. We play with Barbie, see those pencil thin women in magazines and on Tv while they are eating all those hugely fattening things and when we do it, we get fat-we don't see them spit it out when the director yells cut nor all the airbrushing that happens. The average woman does not have at her disposal, personal trainers, cooks, ect that the more affluent have either. It would be nice to have the mind set of a man in that area. They can have a huge beer belly and no teeth and think they are the cat's meow! I have started saying possitive things to myself out loud (so I can hear it) to change that inner voice that has been telling me all the wrong things for so long.
melissa

KayElle
07-30-2005, 05:16 PM
I don't think I'm really an emotional eater. I tend to NOT be able to eat much if I'm upset over something. I think I've been more of a habitual eater. In the past it's been more like if I wasn't so completely stuffed that I couldn't down another bite then I was looking for something (usually something sugary and full of fat) to top off. I'm still working getting used to waiting until I'm truly hungry and recognizing when I really do need to have something to eat. It is getting easier, and I get filled up a whole lot quicker than I used to, too.

The body image thing...I can really relate to that. Even after 74 pounds and dropping from a size 22 to a 10 I still don't see the changes that my family and friends seem to see...instead I see all those problem areas that are still there. I'm hoping that I can get past that because I know that I am always going to have problem areas even when I get to my goal. I think that's part of the reason that I've never been able to maintain my losses in the past. I know now that I will always have issues with my weight no matter how much I lose. I'm hoping the fact that I recognize that it's a problem and I know I have to work on it will help me stick with it this time. I definitely feel different even if I don't look different to myself. The change in my energy level is amazing. That alone should be enough to keep me going. Now I think about when I can fit in a jog or a walk when I used to think about when I could go get some donuts.

sandisuze
07-30-2005, 10:22 PM
Hey everyone .. I have not been able to post after yesterday a.m. and find I missed 2 whole pages..
To try and catch up: School starts here August 8 (YAY!)

I am a total emotional overeater Yesterday (friday) was a great morning had a good day at work,had a nice lunch with hubby and youngest daughter , took "little bits" (youngest daughter) to get a haircut and the day was going really great and then....(Dummm Dummm Dummm.. scary music)Oldest daughter (20) called and said she had been laid off from her job of 7 weeks and was very overdramatic about it. Unfortunately we've been having problems with her attitude) (to go into details would take up way too much room.)But we got into the mom/daughter thing and had a big blow out. So she packed a bag and left- 20 minutes later the police are at my door??? I am confused and hear apparently her g/f called the police because my oldest was on the phone with her when we were have our arguement. The g/f thought I was being "mean" so she called the police, Apparently the g/f told the police I kicked down the door to the room and was violent...I calmly talked to the officers and explained that we had an VERBAL discussion (ok- we yelled at each other) I showed them the door and there were NO signs of me kicking it down, there were were no signs of violence..they found my oldest walking to a friends house and she freaked out that her g/f did this.. They felt the g/f was really out there with what she told them.. but still freaked me out.. of course I was upset and was making the kids mac & cheese to have with the chicken and I stood at the stove and shoveled in a big spoonful and then stopped before I shoveled in another one.. I will not allow emotions to control my eating..( repeat over and over again.. ;) )
I almost broke down and weighed myself today... But hubby said don't do it...
I am on track with water/ food- not so good with exercise.. too emotional last night then had to take hubby to urgent care for his leg, this a.m... they thought he had blood poisoning -after 3 hours they said it was a bad bruise - lots of torn muscles and damage under the skin..Then he wants to go to Bob Evans :devil: The pancake place.. I am like NOOOOOOO.. but of course we go anyway... I was soo good. only had Whole wheat toast with SF jelly and an veggie omlet with egg beaters and a fruit cup.. almost too much food... Did I say that??? :D
This support group has become so important to me.. I really depend on it for so much :dance: .. I told my hubby we were special cause we have our own private support team..He is very happy that I have made new friends and have accountability partners. I will take time to catch up tomorrow and YAY everyone :bravo: on!

neo98292
07-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Lucky you for school starting-I have to wait until sept 7th I believe. I had forgotten how anal (for lack of a better word) my son is about things. He is special needs. So everyday I am told constantly what time it is, what time the next meal is going to be, and then asked about a zillion times what is being prepared. Patients is a virtue they tell me. As far as the mac and cheese...girlfriend if that is all you did during all that turmoil, my hats are off to YOU! The fact too that you stopped yourself from taking that second bite-truly should give yourself a pat on the back for that one. Between police and hospital, I would say you handled yourself wonderfully. It is wonderful you have a good supportive hubby and we are also glad to have you with us. I look forward to the boards everyday and am counting the days till wednesday! Keep up the awesome job!
Melissa

StillTrying923
07-30-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi all!

Thanks KayElle, Jjeanne and Macdee for the good wishes on the orthodics! I got themThursday and wore them all day yesterday... a little uncomfortable, so I took today off. The Podiatrist said to start walking with them slowly until my feet get used to them. My walking partner at work comes back from vacation Monday, so hopefully we can try a short walk! Can't wait!
I haven't excercised in two days and the eating has not been good! a party last note and one this afternoon! And going to my nephew's B-Day party tommorrow! YIKES!
:eek:
So I am determined to walk on Monday and start watching the food again tommorow! Wednesday will be here before I know it!
Take Care all!

LauraB
07-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Sandisuze-What an awful day. And you got thru it without using food. WOW
Sometimes I wish my children had the problems they had when they were little. Now it's relationships and cars and money and jobs and real big things that they tell me about and make me nuts cause mostly I can't fix it, like I could when they were little. Then I feel awful, like somehow I didn't do good enough or they wouldn't be upset, and then I have to eat. The next day or so I am still upset and guilty and then discover they are long over the problem.
Today was a good eating day. That's 5 in a row.
Laura

uncovering
07-31-2005, 12:57 AM
Sandisuze, you have got to be kidding me! All of that packed into one day? Good job at breakfast, I would have ordered waffles AND eggs AND toast after the day and night you had.

KayElle
07-31-2005, 01:32 AM
My gosh, Sandisuze, you had an awful day. It really shows your commitment that you were able to make it through the day without completely going off your plan. That is something to be proud of! I hope the rest of the weekend is being kinder to you than Friday night was.

JKL
07-31-2005, 02:45 AM
Hi all,

I am new and just found your thread. I know you got started on Monday - but it is too late to join? Someone give me the quick start version of how this works.

Thanks
Laura

jjeanne
07-31-2005, 07:34 AM
Hi Laura (JKL)
Welcome! The more, the merrier. Wednesday is our weigh in day. You can send neo98292 (Melissa) a PM with your email addy and she will add you to our group.
We basically are here to check in with one another and give support as we go through the challenging process of losing weight.
Good luck to you!

jjeanne
07-31-2005, 07:41 AM
Sandisuze - I echo the sentiments of the others. You weathered that storm especially well. How is your daughter acting now?

LauraB - congrats on 5 good days. I have been really good with the exercise, but the food thing has been more difficult for me. But I guess when I compare it to how I was eating a few weeks ago, I have made tremendous strides.

SuzyMc
07-31-2005, 10:25 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave:

Sunday is my official weigh-in day...I lost 3 pounds this week! :dancer:

Sandi ~ I give you credit...if I had a day like that I would be locked in the bedroom with a carton of butter pecan icecream, a jar of hot fudge and a spoon! I sure hope that things have gotten better for you!

Laura (JKL) ~ Welcome to the group! :wave:

Sounds like everyone is really doing great...keep it up! :)

neo98292
07-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Suzy CONGRATULATIONS! Good job. My official day is Tuesday but I weigh again on Wednesday for the group check in.

Yes JKL, please PM me with your email address and I will get you on the weekly list. We use this thread for daily things-struggles and successes and then once a week we send an email to the group to chart progress with our weight loss.

This group is soooo awesome and great with communication. That shows me how serious everyone is and also willing to be a support to one another. I can't tell you what that means to me.
Have a great Sunday everyone!
Melissa

KayElle
07-31-2005, 12:04 PM
Hi and welcome, JKL!

Congrats on the 3 lb. loss, SuzyMc! Way to go!

I had good day yesterday. Stuck to my food plan but I didn't get as much exercise as I would have liked. I took a long walk in the morning and wanted to take another in the evening but my hubby decided we should go to a movie and I'm glad we did. It was a fun evening and I wasn't even bothered by his popcorn and was happy with my diet soda. I am having a hard time drinking water but I did drink more yesterday than I have been, the bad thing was that after I got home from the movie I was feeling guilty because I hadn't had enough water so I drank too much too late so then I didn't sleep that well.

This morning has been interesting. We had a thunderstorm with a lot of rain and lightning at daybreak and I went to look outside and saw some little kittens crawling around in the rain. I live on a farm and it's not unusual to get strays here in the summer but this is the first I had seen of them and they are so small. I love cats (and all animals) so I couldn't leave them out in the rain. Ended up finding 4 of them right off and got them dried off and warmed up and they all seem fine. I knew I had heard another one but it took me forever to find her and I thought it was too late when I finally did. She is finally warmed up and has even eaten a little canned catfood and is taking a nap now but she is so shaky when she tries to move around. Poor little thing. I hope she will be ok.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend!

uncovering
07-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Hey girls!

Kayelle - lots of good karma coming your way for saving those kittens!

Suzi - That's awesome! Congrats on the 3 pounds!

JKL - Welcome!

I'm okay today... been having a hard couple of days mood-wise. I'm about to go see some friends so hopefully that will cheer me up. Stepped on the scale today (I think sunday is becoming my weigh-in day) and I've lost 4 pounds. I know that's good and, believe me, I'm grateful. But, I have so much weight to lose and I just wish it would come off faster! I'm also having this problem with my tailbone when I'm exercising. It starts hurting like heck after 15 minutes of walking. 15 minutes! I have to like crawl home. I know, I know, I should see a doctor and I will. But I can't stop thinking "What have I done to my body?"

Well, this is only week two and I have to remember that I AM losing weight (11 pounds, so far. Yea!) and I AM working to be healthier. Even though it only took 6 months to pack on the weight, it'll probably take much longer to shead it... but then it'll be gone forever.

I just wish I had done this 6 months ago when I was 70 pound thinner. ARRRGGHH. Anyway, I think I'm thinking about this too much. Thanks for letting me wallow a bit in my message, I 'm hoping my messages will be more perky as a get used to my new habits.

Have a good sunday!

sandisuze
07-31-2005, 03:47 PM
WOW! Congrats Suzymc on your weight loss!

Stilltrying923 just don't give up! Just ignore the setbacks and keep on going :cp:

Welcome Laura (JKL) :wave: this support group is the one big thing really pushing me forward when I want to give up and just eat the cake...

Way to Go! LauraB YAY!!! on 5 great days!

KayElle ...You so inspire me , when I read posts I just go wow she's so successful on her weight loss.. I am glad you saved the kitty too.. I have a soft heart for kitties ,puppies, hungry people..

I am still good on water, food still good- exercise has bit the dust as I am still stressed over Daughter situation. Hubby has said she needs to move out as what happened yesterday can not happen again - there have been too many incidents and issues. She is almost 21 and does need to be out on her own , but I don't like the circumstances behind the moving out and I hate she has to move out with not having a job. She will be moving in with her boyfriends sister so that's ok and that family will make her get a job ASAP. unlike if she stayed here she would do nothing. Hubby says to stop worrying.. but it's hard.

To catch up on other pages: I dunno about a labor day splurge either... it may turn bad for me.. But the inlaws are taking kids to disney labor day Sunday & Monday and Hubby and I plan to head to St. Augustine for a day so maybe I will eat a tiny piece of fudge or a taste of wine at the winery- I will be doing A LOT of walking that day soo maybe it'll make up for it I just need to stay out of the bakeries and I'll be fine..

Keep going everyone! I do really appreciate all the support - ya'll are fantastic! :balloons:

neo98292
07-31-2005, 04:27 PM
I am in the same boat you are. I have about 112 more pounds to lose. If I look at the big picture, I can get frustrated. I keep in mind, I did not get this heavy overnight-took me years to get where I am now. I also do mini goals and just look at those. I do 10lb increments because they seem more manageable. I am getting close to that mini goal now. When I hit it, I do something nice for myself. Watch a movie while the girls nap, take a nap, whatever little thing makes you happy as long as it isn't a food reward. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. You are doing a great job and you are seeing results. We are all here for you and I hope you had a great time visiting!
Melissa

StillTrying923
07-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi all!
Welocme JKL!
Thanks Sandisuze for the good thoughts! I actually weighed myself today because I wanted to see how much "damage" I had done and I stayed the same! - so I am very happy! Went to my nephews B-Day party and there was no cake! Thank God! I didn't even have to think about it!
Congrats SuzyMc on your 3 lb. loss!
LauraB - 5 good days is awesome!! Keep it up!
uncovering 11lbs is great!! Congrats!!
Kayelle - give those little ones hugs and kisses from me! I am also a sucker for animals! Two cats and one dog here!
I also think that approaching the weight los in little increments is best for me. I am using the 10% rule right now (learned from WW) and I am a quarter there.
I did great on my portions today and even had seconds of salad w/ no dressing! - why is it that everyone elses salad tastes better than when I make it??
Have a great Monday everyone!

neo98292
07-31-2005, 09:21 PM
why is it that everyone elses salad tastes better than when I make it??

I have wondered that about anything! We have a family recipe called meat and potato pie(fattening don't ask). When my Mom makes it, it is the best stuff I ever ate but when I make it, (once a yr on father's day for my dad), it just loses something in the translation. I am thinking that because we are so grateful that we didn't have to cook or prepare anything, it just enhances the flavor.

LauraB
07-31-2005, 09:34 PM
I've been reading the messages about body image. I remember going to a wedding when I was 24. I had a very short dress. I weighed about 128. I thought I was an elephant. I remember staying near the wall so no one would see my fat tush. I have a photo of that day. I was thin. I was delusional. Right now I don't know what I weigh. (I am thinking about weighing in with everyone on Wed) But it must be in the 200 range. It really doesn't feel any different than I did at that long ago wedding. I just never felt thin enough, so 126 or 200. It just never is good. I think some of that has to do with seeing all these toothpick women on TV and mags and some of it has to do with never having a good self image. That' s why I always tell my children how gorgeous they are, cause so much of the problem is how you feel.
Laura

mommapossum
08-01-2005, 08:54 AM
I have had one heck of a week!! My 3 nieces came to live with me & my family ( dh & I have 3 little girls ourself & live in a fairly small house) it was going to be long term since their father the idiot cannot seem to take care of them properly, but now my sister ( who resides in a care facility since she is terminally ill) has decided until their father is back on his feet that they shoudl live with his brother & wife since it is making us fight too much. All I want is what is good for these girls and it seems like everyone else is too conerned about their own problems. The girls are ages 12, 11, & 5. I did have a chance to weigh in this morning & I now weigh 250.0 which is good. I am glad to see that everyone else is doing well & I will post more later since I have to go the baby is crying...

Talk more later !
Lori :)

jjeanne
08-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Starting week 2's thread

neo98292
08-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Sorry things are going so rough Mommapossum. I know it can be awful. I went through a lot when I got my grandkids. My daughter called the police on me and the whole process was a nitemare. It is so sad that people can't put their own needs above what is good for the children. You'll be in my prayers.
melissa

LauraB
08-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Mommapossum- I hope things work out for you and the 3 girls. Life must be so hard for them right now. Stay strong.
Laura