Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default Exercise Advice Needed!!

Hi y'all....I am looking for some exercise advice. I'm 314 lbs and work a sedentary job. I want to burn fat and build muscle. My main goal is to become stronger every day.

Can anyone recommend a program for a beginner? For instance, how many days a week should I do cardio? How many days for strength training? Should I do them on the same day? Overall, how much time a day should I devote to exercise?

Any and all responses are welcome!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 07:38 PM   #2  

Hi Jeanette! I suggest that the very first thing you do is start walking, especially if you haven't been exercising. Just start with 10 minutes every day for a week. The second week go to 12 minutes. The third week move it up to 15. I know you want to progress a lot faster than that, but you need to build up your lung capacity and your leg and ankles as well as build your way to a daily habit of exercise.

In general you should aim for cardio most days of the week and strength training two or three days.

Another way to do it is to get the Walk Away the Pounds videos by Leslie Sansone. Start with the mile and then move to 2 miles. Then get one of the tapes where she uses the light weights.

Slow and steady wins the race and will help you build up your strength in a way that won't frustrate you.

There are several good websites that have beginners programs -- thewalkingsite.com and exrx.net are both very good.

Dinah
Dinahgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:50 AM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Thanks Dinah!!!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #4  

Hi I am new too. I also sit allll day at work. This makes getting those energy levels up difficult but for the past few months I have been increasingly exercising more and cutting my calories (I do slip here and there!). One thing I read about burning a few more calories at work and building a little muscle - is to not assist yourself when you're getting out of your desk. Rather than push off from the desk to move your chair away before you get up, use your legs to push the chair away. Then, when it's time to get out of the chair DO NOT balance your arms on the arms of the chair or use them in anyway, instead use all your leg and core strength to get up out of the chair. You're forcing your muscles to be at work when you're at work! We grow so used to assisting ourselves when getting up by using our arms which totally puts a damper on our core and leg muscles. Seriously, try it - just that little effort can make a difference if you do it every time. And do it when you sit down - don't use ANY arms when sitting down in your chair. So you might make a few grunts or lose your balance at first - you'll get better. Thats a good way to start. If it's been a long time or perhaps never since you've worked out - DEFINITELY start w/walking. Walking alone burns 80 cal/hour (if I recall correctly). but the biggest thing I keep hearing is creating a calorie deficit. Most of your fat loss is going to be directly correlated to your diet. I eat 5-6 small meals a day. Stick my carbs in mostly in the morning - stick to good carbs like whole grain bread and good veggies, between b-fast and lunch I do a yogurt or piece of fruit and have a good salad with little fat and lots of protein for lunch, another snack a few hours later such as some beef jerky or something else high in protien, and then a good low carb - low fat dinner if I find time. It takes dicipline but eating smaller more frequent and HEALTHY meals is the way to go- it speeds your metabolism and keeps your body working - and guess what?!?!! it works. I've lost almost 20 lbs. Good luck. I'm right there with ya as I feel like i'm still a beginner here.
MsDominatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:48 AM   #5  

*edit* _ walking 80 cal/half hour..not hour
MsDominatus is offline   Reply With Quote