Exercise! - Cool Runners #16, July 25-31

View Full Version : Cool Runners #16, July 25-31

AnneWonders
07-25-2005, 10:38 AM
Morning Runners,

I got out today and waddled 1.5 mi. 30 min. Not so bad for a 7 month preggo. Tour de France is over now, so I have to get my exercise somehow.

I saw a bird nesting in a cactus and a huge jackrabbit the size of a small dog. It was kind of on the hot side by the time I got back, but I'm glad I went.

How are you all doing?

Anne

paperclippy
07-25-2005, 10:45 AM
5k this morning, didn't time myself. It felt good though, especially considering that my bf had to literally drag me out of bed to get me to the gym!

skinnyjeans
07-25-2005, 10:54 AM
Today is my day off. Nice easy start to the week. I'll probably walk the dog this evening though.

Sweater Girl
07-25-2005, 11:21 AM
I did 13K with a heart rate of 122bpm so needless to say I was out for a long time yesterday but stayed in my zone 1. Today is an off day but I might work out my upperbody... depends how I feel, I get a mammogram and an ultrasound this afternoon (found a lump, my doc thinks it's benign, but wants to double check).

Anyhoo, it was five years ago today I walked into WW at 243.4 (not my heaviest weight but close). I am right now 15lbs above my WW goal (18lbs above my personal) so I have gone back to WW. I am embarrassed by smacking on weight while I have been super consistent with exercise. Ah well, I am back on track and that in itself has made me feel better. I figure though by dropping 18lbs I should see some nice improvements.

Cheers!

Ali

Celeste0722
07-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Hope you don't mind me joining :) My name is Celeste (hence the username :lol: ) and I have been running since April. I run 2-3 miles 5 times a week.

My goal is to run the Run for the Cure here in Dallas in October.

Today I ran 2.5 miles!

sugarbianca
07-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Hey ladies,
Welcome Celeste.

today if my off day, bf and I are going cycling about 5pm today. I can't wait to run tomorrow, cp35k wk3 d2 for me!

LeanneM83
07-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Hey ladies

Well today I did a 6 miler...(9.6 km) and it went GREAT...I felt great running and I went a good pace and didnt want to die after I was done = good run for me...

Glad to hear everyone is keeping up the pace and running through the heat!

CHeers

Leanne

josie4
07-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Hi everyone! I'd like to join, if that's ok! Well, I bought everything I need to run, and I start tomorrow. I'm so excited! I can't believe I'm excited, because I don't like exercise that much. :) I'm going to start off slow, so we'll see how things go tomorrow. :D

Celeste0722
07-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Hi Josie!! :wavey:

OK, question for all you veteran runners...When I was finishing my 3rd mile, I felt like I was going to PUKE. Any thoughts? Was I too dehydrated?

I took a day off today, tomorrow, I'm going to do my 3 miles.

Only Me
07-26-2005, 09:16 PM
I did intervals today. 6x800m. The last two were tough to finish at the right pace, but I managed it. And jogged very, very slowly for my 2k cooldown.

I'm going to register for the 1/2 at the end of August tomorrow. Dh wants me to register him for the 10k the same day. He has an interesting training plan. He's lucky to be a naturally decent runner despite not running for 12 years until a couple of weeks ago 2 days before a 5k race. He can already run 5-6k at a pretty quick pace (around 5 min/km). His plan is to run 2x per week, adding around 1k distance or 5 minutes time each week. He finishes every run he does totally exhausted though. Like, lay down at the bottom of the stairs exhausted for a minute before climbing up stairs. His objection to slowing down: "I do feel like I'm going slowly; it doesn't feel like I'm going very fast when I start out."

Anne, glad to hear you got out for a walk/waddle (if you're anything like me at 7 months). Sounds beautiful too.

Ali, why were you keeping your heart rate so low? I've considered getting a heart rate monitor in the fall and doing all my runs at less than 70% max over the fall/early winter, but even then I think I'd have a heart rate higher than that. And I think you're a bit younger than I am.

Leanne, glad to hear your program is going well.

Jo, good luck getting started!

Celeste, I've never experienced anything like that on a normal run. I did feel a bit ill by the end of my intervals today, but I was really pushing myself by the end. Were you well hydrated? Too well hydrated (full, sloshing stomach)? Had you eaten too soon before running (or, not recently enough). Were you pushing yourself too hard? (You should be able to speak.) Was it really hot/humid/sunny? Any of those might cause you to feel sick.

AnneWonders
07-26-2005, 11:18 PM
Celeste, feeling like you want to puke is a sign of pushing too hard for too long. What constitutes too hard and too long can vary from day to day, depending on what you ate, how hot it is, etc etc.

Only Me, good going on the 800s. Those kind of intervals always made me want to puke!

Welcome Jo! Hi paperclippy, skinnyjeans, Ali, and Leanne!

Where's Ilene?

I waddled two days in a row. Fell asleep at 6:30 last night, and slept until 4. Couldn't sleep any more after that, so just went for a very early walk. Good thing I went so early because it was already hot. Geez.

Hope everyone is running hard, or enjoying your rest days!

Anne

Ilene
07-27-2005, 12:13 AM
I'm here :wave:, thanks for asking Anne, I love to see pregnant women waddle, it's really cute, honest!!

I had a good long run on Saturday, but I haven't run since... On Sunday I did a good leg workout at the gym so no run but a good 28k bike ride... Yesterday I only had time for a chest workout in the AM no cardio or run, before going for my dad's treatments... Today, lazyness took over but it felt good to have a day off... Tomorrow my brother takes my dad for the treatments so I will get to the gym for some a back workout and a run either on the treadmill or outside depending on the weather. I'll get up early to get a run in...

Ilene
07-27-2005, 12:51 AM
Anne p.s.: Thanks for starting Cool Runners !!

paperclippy
07-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Good morning everyone! I did intervals this morning, but not as longs as Only Me's! I'm not sure I'm doing them right either . . . I run fast 200m, then jog slowly (really slowly) 200m, etc. I did 10 today (4k total). Are you supposed to jog a recovery lap, or are you supposed to just stop and rest before running fast the next time? I'm so clueless about this stuff.

This week has been a good running week for me so far -- I did my full 5k on Monday (lately I've been getting tired at 4k), and today I did 2 more intervals than usual and felt great. Circuit training yesterday was good, I'm barely sore at all, and I'm hoping tomorrow's class won't make my legs too sore, because I want to do a timed mile on Friday. I've kind of fallen off the bandwagon on weekend long runs though since it's been so hot out (I always want to sleep in on the weekend), I've just been taking both days as rest days.

Anne - wow, already hot at 4am? Ugh. I'm glad my gym has an indoor track!

Only Me - LOL about your husband! I'm always jealous of my bf, he can run way faster than me easily and doesn't get nearly as tired. It's a combination of him being way taller and more muscular than me, and the fact that he's been working out regularly since he was a teenager, whereas I only started in January! :o

Ilene - I'm sure you deserve the rest days!

Sounds like everyone else is doing great! Stay safe in all this heat, ladies!

sherpamelissa
07-27-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi guys! You may be seeing more of my shortly with a bunch of questions too. I signed up for the PF Changs / Rock n' Roll / Half Marathon in Phoenix through Team in Training (http://www.teamintraining.org/hm_tnt) last night. I am still in a bit of shock that I did it. :yikes:

I just started running about 10 days ago. I have been fairly consistent with exercise though for the last year so I'm doing okay. This morning I ran for a full hour on the treadmill, 3.63 miles at a 16:30 pace. I'd like to up the pace a little.

Any recommendations on shoes, socks, shorts? I have birthday money to spend and have been waiting to get running stuff! :lol:

Celeste0722
07-27-2005, 11:34 AM
I did my 5K today! I drank some water before I went and plus, it was nice and breezy and even sprinkling a bit. I feel MUCH better today than I did the other day.

Only Me, it was a bit hot and humid, and I think I was a little dehydrated. And I think I was pushing myself a bit too hard...That all makes sense as to why I felt sick :yes:

Anne-That makes sense :yes: It was hot and yucky that day. Today I did MUCH better.

Sweater Girl
07-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi all,

Back into Hill repeats tonight for seven weeks. Still haven't decided when my fall half will be... I am kind of waiting until I get some test results back at the end of August. I might need some diagnostic surgury.

Only Me: I usually keep my heart rate under 140 (which is 70% for me), for all my long runs and I hate going over 80% unless I am hill training or in a race. In theory running all the long runs slow will build your base and increase your zone 1 heart rate which appparently helps with both speed and endurance. This past Sunday I was working as a group leader with two ladies who like to run slow, so hopefully it will give me some benefit.

Hi Ilene, Anne, Celeste, Leanne and anyone else I have missed!

Good Running (it's actually not stinking hot today:))

Ali:)

josie4
07-27-2005, 03:11 PM
I did well on my first day of running and I really like it! (I can't believe I like running!!) I did a ten minute warm-up walk, then ten minutes of wallking and running (1 min running, 1 min walking, etc.) and then walked for 10 more minutes back home. It felt good to get my heart pumping! I want to run again tomorrow, but I don't want to hurt myself by running every day, so I'll wait till Fri.

Ilene
07-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Celeste -- Humid weather wreck havoc with my runs too, but I just end up NOT going out unless there's no humidity and I do the dreadmill instead

Josie -- Good for you for taking it easy for a while, running every second day is a great start and so is 1:1 ...

I ran some hills on the dreadmill today for 30 mins. this was after I had done 30 mins on the bike and an hour in the weight room...:strong:

cagirlygirl
07-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

Mind if I join you? I've been running for about 3 months now and just did my first 10K race on Sunday. It was a big thrill to finish, but I definitely have some adjustments to make for next time. I had played in a 2 on 2 volleyball tournament (outdoor - 95 degree heat) all day on Saturday, and had a pretty big blood sugar/dehydration crash after the race. I felt super icky. :( New rule: volleyball and running only on alternating weekends!

So here are my questions: what do you do to keep yourself hydrated and keep your energy level steady while you're racing? and... how do you pace yourself when you're running in a crowd? My instinct is to keep up with everyone, and I started out way too fast.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks - I'm looking forward to running with you all!

paula

LeanneM83
07-28-2005, 08:37 AM
Hey everyone

Well yesterday was 5.5 miles...yay, it went well...better than I thought it would...I gotta laugh my program is all in miles, which I gotts say doesnt sound as far as in kilometers..hahaha

Speedwork today....fun!

Happy running, cool runners...hope everyone is staying cool, if you can!

Leanne

cw 114 :p :cool: :cool:

Sweater Girl
07-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Hills didn't kill me last night. The advice my instructors gave me really helped me... I felt challenged, but didn't feel like I wanted to die.

Leanne: I had to smile when I saw the birthdays of your two younger children... It's almost the exact same distance between me and my brother... he was July 30th '76, and I was slightly later on October 2, '77. We're super close even today (although he lives in TO and we can't talk as much as we used to due to our schedules) My mom had the four of us kids within 5 years and the first 3 in exactly three years! Good Luck on the speed work... I have a nice recovery run tonight.

I get a biopsy for good measure tomorrow. My doc is almost certain I have fibrocystic breasts which is super common (especially as one starts to push 30+), so it should come out negative for anything nasty.

Cheers!

Ali:)

YP1
07-28-2005, 03:35 PM
I did 6k on the treadmill today, it's rainy and cold here and I couldn't face outside. I'm hoping to get out there at the weekend though.

sugarbianca
07-28-2005, 05:42 PM
Hi all :wave:

I've did wk3d3 of the cp25k this morning, with my son in tow, well in his stroller. The weather today was perfect for running, windy but sunny, much better than the humid days. I ran on a bike path along the river it's a great view especially with all the yatchs and river boats going through the lock bridge.

My shins seem to be acting up again, hopefully it will not get too bad and the icing and stretching i'm doing will help.

Ali- Good luck with your biopsy, hope everything is ok

Paula - Welcome

Josie - I'm glad you like running, it's it the greatest thrill??

josie4
07-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Running is a thrill! I really feel like I'm working my body! I've only ran once, but I came home feeling great. I can't wait for tomorrow!

Shalia
07-29-2005, 01:27 AM
I've been so terrible about running lately. It's like I up and gave up for a week or so. Same with eating well. But I got out today and I'm going to go tomorrow as well. I think our treadmill here at our apartments is broken though. I *know* I cannot jog at 6.0 yet when last time I tried I was falling over at 4.5 and the brisk walk level was closer to a 5 this time. It sucks it's broken. *sigh*

Pick self up, dust off, back on track <literally, right?>. I've gotta get signed up for that fun run so I have that external motivation...

Only Me
07-29-2005, 08:51 AM
I slept in yesterday, so I made that my rest day. This morning was cool and sunny. I ran a great 12k, with 4k at 10k race pace in the middle. It felt great. I feel totally energized now too.

Ali, good for you on the hills. I hate hills and they seem to be the one part of my schedule that I skimp on. Good luck with your biopsy.

Jo, I'm glad that your first outing went so well!

Ilene, I hope it's cooled down a bit where you are too and you're able to get off the dreadmill and outside.

Paula, welcome and congrats on the 10k race! For pacing, I use a garmin 201, which tells me how far and fast I'm running. If I didn't have one, I'd use a watch, a pace band with a reasonable goal time, and the mile/km markers on the course. Even with the 201, I did go out too fast in my first race and ended up having to walk a lot at the end. I think that's normal your first few races, and you learn to pace better with experience. Also start out near the back, so others around you are moving more slowly too and you have to go slow at first just because there are so many people.

The first 2 races I did, I just drank at water stations if I was thirsty. My last race (1/2 marathon) was done on a hot and humid day. I drank a cup at every water station (water or gatorade), dumped another over my head (only water, have to be careful there), and carried my own 500ml bottle which I sipped at between stations. That was enough for me.

Leanne, I swear I prefer recording my distances in km just because it sounds so much more impressive. I've considered going to the British system of Stones for measuring weight though. Hmm, saying I'm under 9 stone sounds much better than 123. (stone = 14lbs)

paperclippy
07-29-2005, 10:21 AM
Good morning ladies! I did a timed mile this morning to see if I had met my July goal of getting it under 11 minutes (previous PR 11:04) . . . and I ran it in 10:40! Yay! I feel great. Maybe I'll even get in a long run on Sunday morning, if it's not too hot.

I think I'm going to sign up for a 5k race on Sept. 11. I haven't done a race before, but I know I can run 5k, so I thought it's about time! If it goes well, I will think about trying a 10k next, since I think I would be able to work up to it. Do they have time limits on these?

MrsDawsondn
07-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Hey guys,

I've been back from vacation since Monday but I haven't been on the net for a while. but I wanted to report that all is going well over this way and I had a wonderful time on my vacation although I hate to admit my eating was terrible. I am doing much much better. I have been walking 2.6-3.0 miles in the mornings in 40-45 minutes and on my lunch running on the treadmill for about 30 minutes doing about 2 miles. one thing I noticed though was that just like another poster mentioned when I got on the treadmill in Myrtle beach, it said I was running at 6.0 and I KNOW that is not right cause on the treadmill that I regularly get on in the fitness center here I can't go beyond 4.5. Anyways It was a great run. I think Monday the weather kind of shocked me and I was a bit afraid to run outside and that's why I've been walking in the mornings instead of running but I will be back at it tomorrow and I've decided that I AM going to run the fleet feet lady's 5 k run Next Saturday. I think the atmosphere will be fun if nothing else and i already know that I can run a 5 k so i think accomplishing that will be a success for me.

It sounds like everyone is doing very well. josie congrats on the run I'm so happy for you! Hello and welcome cagirlygirl and celeste "waving" great to have ya!

I missed all of you guys so it's great to be back. This week I've ran a total of 8-9 miles and walked a total of 10 miles. Woohoo yayy for me :D

Ilene
07-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Only me -- I DID get out yesterday for a really nice run OUTSIDE I'm not sure how far I went but I was gone for an hour, maybe 9-10K...

Ali -- good luck with the biopsy :grouphug:

MrsD -- Welcome back :wave: ... Did you have fun on your vacation?

PaperC -- Good for you on doing a 5k, you will be fine!... I don't think there is a time limit on a 5 or 10K...

Today I am doing the gym scene doing back and biceps then I may do the dreadmill for a quickie 5k ....

LaMariposita
07-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Hi everyone!

I just joined the forums here today, and was thrilled to find a running thread.

I ran cross country and track in both high school and college. Once I was done with that, I got very involved in too many couch potato activities and gained 40 pounds. I started running again a month ago--I used to LOVE running, but it's really hard now that I am starting over.

I'm planning to run a 5K in September-all I want to do is break 30 minutes. Part of me is embarrassed by that goal, considering I used to run 5K's in 19 minutes, but I have to keep reminding myself that I am much bigger than I used to be!

I'm hoping this forum will help to keep me motivated until I can actually enjoy running again.

Laura

Ilene
07-29-2005, 06:35 PM
Welcome Laura :wave: ... We're here to motivate and encourage so come back often !

YP1
07-30-2005, 06:18 AM
I went out on my 5.5 mile route this morning. I'm still not running quite all of it, but I'm enjoying getting out because the route I run is really nice (round parks and lakes). I'm considering adding another circuit round the lake rather than trying to run the end bit because I quite like using that to walk for a while and cool down rather than running right back home. I'm going to play around with the route on a map and try to add a bit more distance to it for next time I go out there.

Ilene
07-30-2005, 11:16 AM
I had a good run this morning too... Nice and cool by the river, there was still fog on it further out in the middle and it was really pretty... I ran for 1h10mins I don't know how far I went, maybe 11.5k... Not sure though...

sugarbianca
07-30-2005, 03:16 PM
Hi all, welcome Laura,
I had a good run this morning, it was nice and cool on the bike path by the river, not too many bikers out either, though there is more than enough room for all of us, it's the size of a small road. I started wk4da1 of the 5k program, running non-stop for 5 minutes was easier than i thought it would be i was worried about nothing. My shin have started bothering me a bit but not enough to interferre with my running, icing, stretchin and massage are still working well enough.

paperclippy
07-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Well, I went out for a run with my bf this morning since the weather was gorgeous . . . and I ran 6.7 miles (about 10.7 km)!! This is by far the farthest I have ever run. We were out for about two hours total, because I wanted to keep a slow pace so I could make it the whole distance. I am so excited!

I also registered for my first 5k, which will be on September 11. Yay!

Celeste0722
07-31-2005, 09:00 PM
I did my 5K this morning!! I may go out and do another couple miles...trying to make up for this weekend :(

LeanneM83
07-31-2005, 09:01 PM
OMG LADIES I DID 11.2 KM TODAY........HOLY MOLY.........MY LONGEST RUN EVER....7 WHOLE MILES>>OMG!!!

YAY ME, I am soooooooooooooooo thrilled never thought I could do it and strangely enough, I could have run farther if I had to (but I didn't have to run further so I didnt)

Yet another one of my goals for 2005 COMPLETED!!

Leanne

My #2 child turned 2 yesterday..OMG, where does the time GOOOOOOOOOOOOO

paperclippy
07-31-2005, 10:17 PM
That's great Leanne! Sounds like you and I had a similar day, my 6.7 miles was the longest I have ever run by a long shot! And happy birthday to your son!

MrsDawsondn
08-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Okay guys I know I'm super late but I did a 5k last saturday in 36 minutes. Woohoo the last time I timed myself it was in 39 minutes. I know it's kinda slow but Hey I beat 40 minutes right? I even did a cooldown walk for 1 more mile after I was finished and played with the Kids the rest of the day. Yippee. unfortunately today I haven't ran yet but I will tonight as well as training some core muscles with calisthenics (pushups, crunches, lunges, squats.

Congrats leannem83, and paperclippy sounds like you girls are on a roll. Alright now!!