Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-24-2005, 03:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 246/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Default Fat Man Walking...read the article!!!

Have you guys heard about him?

This guy is soooooo inspirational. I wish I could join him!!! There is even a web site about him...fatmanwalking.com.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...070701972.html
TatianaHdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:29 AM   #2  

I just read that article. Thanks for the link! He certainly is inspiring. Some sneaker company should really support him in his efforts. What a great marketing tool that would be! They could chronicle his journey as their advertisements and tell how many miles it took for the sneakers to wear out.
jjeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 07:45 AM   #3  

WOW, I just read the article and that man has some spunk! I wouldn't even consider walking across country but he knew what he needed to do and did it. I'm proud, I just hope he doesnt hurt himself.
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 10:20 AM   #4  

When I weighed 304 I could barely lug myself around. He is INCREDIBLE to do this at 400. He is doing great too. Thanks for the info. His website has all of his journals . Very interesting stuff. Cindi
Flower Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 03:01 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

I saw him on TV (Today?) and also read the article. Very impressive, and nice that he doesn't pretend it's all easy and he's constantly motivated - just tells it like it is!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 AM   #6  

Great idea, jeanne! That would make some GREAT advertising. Not only the fact that he's walking across the country and could show how many miles the shoes last, but also because he is 400 POUNDS! Now, if those shoes can put up with him being so heavy and walking so far, that is a good pair of shoes. I'd buy them! lol

I was also hoping he doesn't get hurt!

I didn't know he was on TV! I'll have to watch out and see if he's on again. Just reading the story made me want to workout. I figured, if he can walk across the country, I can do 2 miles of "Walk Away the Pounds"...lol.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:02 PM   #7  
I CAN do this!

He has inspired me imensely!! He made me set my distance goal! Sure, I'm not actually walking across the country, but I'm having myself walk 600 miles to my hometown! All inspired by him! And when I finally reach my goal, I am giving myself a $300 shopping trip in my home town in Nebraska!! (Dorky I know!) But this guy is so inspiring!
LegallyBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:42 AM   #8  
mmmm.. ice cream

S/C/G: 238/135/125

Height: 5'4"

steve is great! i first read about him the san diego union tribune a few months ago. i think he now actually does have a sneaker sponser. i think they're called foot fx or something like that. a few local companies are helping him a lot, but one tried to take advantage of him and took over his web site. i thought that was so sad. but now that he's made it out of ca, he's getting some nationwide press. it's so inspiring. heck, i can barley make it across the desert out there in a car, it's so hot!
cadwell125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 12:38 AM   #9  

I've driven that desert... holy hannah, he's WALKED it?!?!?
Shalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #10  
diamondgeog

That is pretty amazing. I completely admire him. I think for most people (lol dah) this would be a very bad idea. You'd be much more likely to lose weight healthier with a nice bed to sleep in, easier choice of good foods, ample water, indoor exercise options when the weather is too hot or too cold, not dealing with heat exhaustion, a family right there, etc.

Obviously for his pyschology it was important to do something very dramatic. He is pointing out though is how important determination is no matter how you decide to get to the 'promised land'.

I have backpacked before...and carrying that heavy a pack day after day. He has some serious strength and endurance.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:42 AM   #11  

Cool, LegallyBrunette! What a good idea! A shopping spree sure sounds like good motivation to me!