Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 07-23-2005, 01:57 PM   #1  
Shedding the pounds

Exclamation Breastfeeding And Your Diet

BREASTFEEDING AND YOUR DIET

GENERAL INFORMATION:

What should I eat when I breastfeed? Eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods close to their natural state is important. Eat the following number of servings in each of the 5 basic food groups each day.

Bread, cereal, rice, and pasta group. Eat 6 to 11 servings.

Vegetable group (including green leafy and yellow vegetables). Eat 3 to 5 servings.

Fruit group. Eat 2 to 4 servings.

Meat, poultry (chicken or turkey), fish, eggs, dry beans, and nuts group. Eat 2 to 3 servings.

Dairy foods group (such as milk, cheese, or yogurt). Eat 2 to 3 servings.

Do I have to be extra careful when preparing and cooking food? We should all be more careful about chemicals in the food we eat. Wash and peel fresh fruits and vegetables to remove any chemicals. Cut fat off meat, poultry, or fish since chemicals "go to" fat. Do not eat fish that may have come from contaminated (kun-tah-mih-na-tud) waters. This is water that is known to have unsafe amounts of germs that may cause illness.

Do I need to eat more food while I breastfeed? You may need to eat up to an extra 200 to 500 calories a day. This may be needed in order for you to maintain your body weight. You may need an extra 400 to 1000 calories a day if you are breastfeeding more than one baby, such as twins. Checking your weight to will help you know if you are eating well.

Do I need extra calcium while I breastfeed? Calcium is a mineral that makes strong bones and teeth for you and your baby. You can get calcium from many different foods, such as milk, yogurt, and cheese. Other calcium-rich foods are beans, carrot juice, kale, okra, raisins, salmon, sardines, tofu, watercress or green vegetables. Some mothers worry that breastfeeding causes their body to lose bone. And, they worry that this would increase their risk for osteoporosis (ah-stee-o-por-o-sis) which is a disease of fragile bones. But, this in not true. The thickness or "density" of your bones returns after weaning (when you decide to stop breastfeeding your baby).

Do I need extra iron? Iron is a mineral the body needs to make hemoglobin (hee-muh-glo-bun). Hemoglobin is a part of the red blood cells in your blood. The hemoglobin helps carry oxygen from your lungs to the rest of your body. Eat one or more iron-rich foods every day to make sure you have enough hemoglobin while breastfeeding. Fish, poultry, blackstrap molasses, lamb, pork, red meat, clams, and oysters are rich in iron. Other iron-rich foods are carob, chickpeas, dried legumes (beans), dried fruit, liver wheat germ, sardines, soybeans, and spinach. Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are also high in iron.

What should I drink and how much? Drink 6 to 8 (soda pop can size) glasses of liquid each day. Or, follow your caregiver's advice. Good liquids to drink are water, juices milk and soups. Limit the amount of caffeine you drink, such as coffee, tea, and soda. And, drink when you feel dry or thirsty. Your urine should be clear and you should not be constipated (hard BMs). The color of your urine should be clear to light yellow. Your BMs will be soft, not hard and dry if you are drinking enough fluid.

Can I eat salty foods while I breastfeed? It is OK to have some salt or "sodium" in your diet. Processed and prepared foods like packaged foods often have very large amounts of salt and sodium. Limit salt added to foods when you cook. Try to enjoy the natural taste of food by eating fresh fruits and vegetables instead of adding salt or sugar.

Will some foods upset my baby's stomach? You do not usually have to limit the kinds of foods you eat. Most mothers feel they can eat anything they like so long as they do not eat too much. Avoid a food or drink for 5 to 7 days if you think it is upsetting your baby. Try it again later to see if it really effected your baby. The following foods may upset your baby's stomach.

Allergies: Berries, corn, cow's milk, eggs, peanut butter, wheat, and soy may cause your baby to have an allergic reaction.

Gas: Broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, green peppers, and onions may give your baby gas.

Irritable (fussy): Foods or drinks that have caffeine may make your baby irritable, such as chocolate, coffee, tea, and some cold medicines.

Can I drink alcohol if I breastfeed my baby? You should not drink alcohol if you breastfeed your baby. Alcohol passes into your breastmilk, which may harm your baby. Regular or heavy drinking may also effect your "let-down." Ask your caregiver for the CareNotes™ handout about the effects of smoking, alcohol, and medicines with breastfeeding

Can I go on a weight-loss diet while I breastfeed? Extra weight is added during your pregnancy to store energy for making milk. Breastfeeding makes it easier to lose these extra pounds. Most breastfeeding mothers lose weight just by following a normal diet. Crash diets, fad diets, and quick weight loss may be harmful to your body and could possible decrease your baby's milk supply.

Should I take vitamins while I breastfeed? You should be able to get everything you and the baby need if you eat the number of calories recommended by your caregiver. Do this by eating the number of servings from the 5 food groups listed above. But, most caregivers want nursing mothers to continue taking prenatal vitamins. Ask your caregiver if you should be taking vitamins.

Can my baby's caregiver help me if I have breastfeeding questions or problems? Ask for information about breastfeeding and make sure caregivers know that breastfeeding is important to you. Ask your caregiver for the name of a Lactation Consultant. This person is specially trained to help women breastfeed their babies. Also, ask caregivers about a breastfeeding class before your baby is born. Or, call your hospital for more information. Breastfeeding support groups can also help you learn about breastfeeding your baby. Call or write one of the following organizations for more information.
PaganSkyy is offline   Reply With Quote