Old 07-23-2005, 06:59 AM   #1  

Default Fat Vs. Calorie counting question

If anyone can answer this for me, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

I counted fat grams for awhile and lost 16 pounds, but I've been hearing that calorie counting is more important. If I eat well over the amount of fat I was supposed to, but far less calories than I would need to maintain...how would that affect my weight?

Thanks!
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:27 AM   #2  

The bottom line of weight loss is that you have to expend more calories than you consume. How many of those calories come from fat is far less important than they TYPE of fat the calories come from.

A gram of fat has more calories than a gram of carbs or protein. So, the logic is that by reducing your fat intake you are automatically reducing your calorie intake as well. Depending on how high in fat your diet was before you began losing weight that may very well be true. But once you reach a weight where reducing fat grams isn't enough to create a calorie deficit your weight loss will cease.

In my opinion you are better off counting calories and making sure that you are burning more than you consume. It is important to keep an eye on your fat intake to make sure no more than 15 grams are coming from saturated fats. The rest should be high in poly and mono type fats. Poly and mono type fats are good for you - they raise your "good" cholesterol, help your body absorb various nutrients, etc. Saturated fats are considered "bad" as they can raise your "bad" cholesterol - which, of course, can lead to clogged arteries, heart disease, etc.
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #3  
I CAN do this!

Thank you for asking this question! And thank you for responding, jawsmom!! I have been counting calories, but wondered if fat grams were worth counting instead! Clearly, I will stick with calories
LegallyBrunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #4  

Thank you for answering!
Universityprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 04:50 PM   #5  

Wow - great question and one I've often wondered about. Thanks for asking it.
SlimCurvesAhead is offline   Reply With Quote