Old 07-22-2005, 02:05 PM   #1  

Default Instructors

I am kind of new to videos. Who do ya'll like best. So far I have used Kathy Smith and Densie Austin (who I didn't really like although she did make me laugh) any ideas about someone who knows what they are doing AND brings something new to the table?
fikustrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #2  

I'm not sure what you mean by "brings something new to the table." I'm a Kathy Smith fan myself. She is really knowledgeable, she emphasizes the importance of form, and her videos always include the latest research. She also has a lot of variety in her workouts -- not only traditional aerobics and innovative weight training, but yoga, latin dance, bellydancing, kickboxing, etc.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 03:07 PM   #3  

Default new to the table

I guess I meant that they aren't the same old moves, lunges, squats, etc. I don't mind these things, but not every day!
Old 08-07-2005, 11:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

Default Cathe Friedrich...very no-nonsense

I bought this step which came with a Basic Step DVD which has a 30 minute step workout (basic but still challenging) and a short ab workout on a stability ball by an instructor named Cathe Friedrich. I had a ball but never had a video to use with it which is only 10 minutes, but boy, do you feel it the next day. She has other videos which I think I will check out. You can order them at Collage video. I think this instructor is good. The Firm Series has some very good instructors also and different ones so you don't get bored and will give you a good workout.
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:32 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Ellen Barrett has a couple of Pilates Crunch videos that I just love! I have tons of workout videos, but when I bought these it was like a breath of fresh air. They actually get me sweating quite a bit and I don't think they could be called pure Pilates.

I also like Kari Anderson. You can't buy her stuff at Wal-Mart, but it's worth a look at Amazon or workout video stores online.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #6  

I agree with ellen barrett suggestions I have "crunch fat burning pilates" and "crunch pick your spot pilates" and I love them!!
mom2nicolenmatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I personally can't STAND Kathy Smith. She is knowledgable about yoga and strength training-but I can't get past her yelling and whooping all the time. Her original Lift Weights To Lose Weight was a good video, but when she starts yelling "OOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!" I just cringe. She is usually a little more subdued in her yoga though.
I hated both her Latin dance workout, and her Belly Dance workout-simply because she CAN'T dance. (I am a dancer.) She has no "rhythm". So, if you are looking for a dance workout-I don't recommend Kathy.

I guess what I would recommend depends on what you are looking for, and at what level (beginner, intermediate, or advanced level fitness). What are you looking for, and I can offer some suggestions. I own over 100 vids now, but have done over 200-250 easily over the years.

Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #8  

I am intermediate level. I am really interested in picking up some cardio. I have never done dance before, but maybe I should try it? I have never been able to before but lately, since I have been getting in shape I have had a lot more confidence to do new things (not in public, hense the videos) I just bought Tai Bo and a Randy Yee Yoga so I really would like to balance that out with good cardio, but I don't have a step so that make it a little hard. Any suggestions or just tell me who you like and why.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #9  

Also, I have the most recent Kathy videos and she only whoops two or three times, I think she has toned it down!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:46 PM   #10  

Which videos are those? I bought the Kathy Smith belly dance video (even though I should have known better since I am a dancer) and in the middle of one of the dance routines she was like "Oooow! YYYYEEEAHHH!!!" The actual belly dancers in the back who were dancing as background dancers had this look of "I can't believe she did that, but I must keep a straight face" expression.

For cardio you might try one of the Walk Away The Pounds videos. Since you are intermediate-go for one of her 2 mile videos. Her 1 mile videos are aimed more for beginners, and her 3 & 4 mile videos are more for advanced exercisers.
Since you are looking for cardio specifically-I don't know if I would really recommend dance-since it varies in its instruction. Some of it is cardio, and some of it is muscle building, or flexibility.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #11  

Which videos are those? The Project You series. There is only one time when she really yells. I can see how that would be bad in the Belly Dancing Video, I saw the cover of that video the other day and I thought it was so bizzare. She really has a video, I think, for every type of excersise in exsistence! She can't be good at all of them! I really like her though, she comes to the boards on the beachbody and posts encouragment and answers questions.

What is the deal with those Walk away the pounds? Is it just walking inside? Now that the weather is getting nicer (I live in Texas) I am so excited to walk OUTSIDE again. It has just been too hot.
Old 08-09-2005, 03:54 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikustrees
She really has a video, I think, for every type of excersise in exsistence! She can't be good at all of them! I really like her though, she comes to the boards on the beachbody and posts encouragment and answers questions.
Exactly. From my experience, she is very good at traditional strength training, and yoga. She needs to stick with those, and leave the dance videos and things alone. They are not her forte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fikustrees
What is the deal with those Walk away the pounds? Is it just walking inside? Now that the weather is getting nicer (I live in Texas) I am so excited to walk OUTSIDE again. It has just been too hot.
Have you ever had any walking cassette tapes or cds? They are music that is paced to a beat of walking at a certain level-such as 3 miles per hour, or 4 miles per hour, and so forth. Some outdoor walkers and runners use them to keep an even pace for themselves. The Walk Away The Pounds videos are like that-you are using music that is set at different paces-so basically you are taking so many steps per minute. You do walking in place and moving, as well as other simple steps-side steps, gentle kicks, knee lifts, and such to the walking pace. There are also upper body movements thrown in as well. I personally enjoy them when the weather does not cooperate with my walking and jogging outdoors.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #13  

aphil do you do belly dance videos or do you do it live?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:58 PM   #14  

I have been taking Middle Eastern dancing instruction for 3 years. I study under a wonderful instructor, and I also have taken many, many workshops with some awesome master teachers and some world known dancers, such as Dalia Carella and Zahra Zuhair (one of the Bellydance Superstars).
I am a member, and the costume maker for a wonderful dance troupe.
I do have videos as well-some of them are belly dance "workout" videos, and most of them are professional Middle Eastern dance videos.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

I agree that Kathy Smith can be overbearing. I have that Lift Weights video, and another in her Timesaver series (cardio). That cardio one is especially bad, but it was one of the first videos I had so I did it all the time. Now I can do it with the sound muted and a good CD playing and it's great!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote