Support Groups - Singles Supporting Singles #5

View Full Version : Singles Supporting Singles #5

SheriaVa
07-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Hello Singles!!!!!

If you are single and looking for support for healthy eating, exercise and/or weight loss, please join us. The world is often built for two and if you're looking for a place where you can hang out with other people who are single, you've found it here! We look forward to getting to know you.

Please come in, make yourself at home, and tell us a little about you. Help yourself to the fresh fruit and veggie tray there on the coffee table. We didn't figure it was appropriate to put out cookies. :lol:

If you'd like to look back at the previous thread to get a little more information about us, click here for Singles Supporting Singles #4 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55809&page=1&pp=15).

Hope you'll stop by and say hi!

JanetG
07-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone...yes, I'm back yet again :^: . If you know me at all, you know this is my pattern. I do well for awhile, but then I drop off the face of the earth. Sorry for my poor posting habits, but I haven't been online for awhile. Work has been nuts and I did get away for a week long camping trip to northern Minnesota with two of my brothers and my Dad.

I pretty much tossed the eating plan out the window while I was gone. I gained about 7 pounds back. I vowed I wasn't going to go overboard with the eating and I was going to try to exercise evey day, but that went out the window with the eating.

My older brother did attempt my murder by dragging me on a 4 hour hike. He really wanted to hike up to the highest point in Minnesota called Eagle Mountain. It's really just a very high bluff, but the hike in was 2 hours of rocky, uphill paths (in shape people could probably do it in 1-1/2 hours, but I am obviously not one of those!). The way up was rough, but doable. It didn't help that it was 94 degrees and humid outside, the mosquitos and deer flies were pretty thick and I had finished my water in the first 30 minutes! I had to stop and rest 4-5 times on the way up, but I did it! The way down was worse because I was out of water, and I was tiring so I kept stumbling on the rocks (only fell once though). My brother was a saint to put up with my whining and he ran ahead towards the end to get my extra water out of the car and brought it back. It sucked, but I made it. Couldn't walk without significant pain for three days. A year ago I would not have even contemplated the hike, let alone attempted it. Next year, I may even make it without the rest breaks and whining!

Have had a hard time getting the diet going again, but woke up with new resolve this morning. Went to the Y and did my hour of cardio. Now I need to start back in with the weight training. Baby Steps!

Hope all is going well with everyone. I could promise I'll be better about posting, but the most I can promise is to try.

lilybutt
07-24-2005, 12:30 PM
A new thread!!!!

Jeez, I feel terrible….I have been reading posts, but just not posting…seems that I just get busy…doing what??? Not much of anything, but busy!!!! All is well with me…..had my physical and was told, based on my report and blood work that I am extremely healthy…..just the weight as the only issue. But the Doc said that at my age, it just is harder…..stick with the diet…1500 was her recommendation and exercise 5 times a week for an hour!!!! Holy cow!!!! So yesterday I went to the Y and walked the track for an hour…going to try again today! I have been doing great on eating…even really planning for a night out and staying with my plan! Friday night I went out to eat at Applebee’s, they have good “diet” choices, and then went to a Trick Pony concert. Last night I went out with a guy friend for pizza…planned for it and stuck to my plan, but then had a few drinks…oh well I enjoyed myself! No reason not to sick to my plan today! Just going to Target and Staples!

Janet….Oh my that hike sounds like a trek!!! And as hot as it is here!!! I usually walk outside in the summer, but once this heat wave hit…I had to go to the Y!

Lilybutt

SheriaVa
07-24-2005, 02:10 PM
Janet: Good to see you! That hike sounds like a killer...congratulations for mastering it, even if it was really difficult. Next time, you'll know to take more water (or ration the bottle that you take better). It's all about doing a little better each time...and learning from our previous attempts! :)

Lily: Glad to hear the bloodwork is on target. Doc says exercise 5 days a week at 1 hour each, eh? That's a lot! I exercise 5 days a week and two of those days I exercise for an hour or more, but the other 3 days (the days I'm getting up at o'God thirty to exercise before work) I work out for only 30 minutes. I used to exercise longer on those work day mornings, but I found that exercising 30 mins and getting a bit more sleep was a lot better for my body and especially my mental wellness than more exercise and less sleep. It's all a matter of finding that right balance for each of us, I guess!

lilybutt
07-24-2005, 07:18 PM
I know...... :eek: 60 minutes 5 times a week!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: and :barf: LOL

Well I know exercise really can be the key....I am 5'5" and 240 ish....wear a size XL or 18 and really, even with the weight, curvy....you know what I mean???? I have a figure.....i don't know it just is so hard to lose weight......I just feel like I am stuck at the 240-220 range. I have been here for years....so maybe upping the ante on the exercise will help....Can't promise I will make it, but I can promise I will try! :workout:

So today I made it to the Y again today.....yesterday walked 3 miles in an hour....today did 40 minutes on the bike and 20 minutes of weights. It is a start!

Sheri.....I think any activity is good, but sleep is better!!! I am not a morning person at all! I have to go to work tomorrow, been off since June 4th, and the thought of an alarm for the purpose of work is killing me already!!! :yawn: Oh well it will be a trial run....I have two weeks of vacay left then back to the desk!

I will keep you posted ! :cheer:

Lilybutt

megsa
07-25-2005, 03:29 AM
Hello Ladies,

I saw one of these posts up on Friday and thought that I'd join in as well. My name is Megan and I live on the other side of the world from you guys : South Africa. A bit of my life story : I have recently returned from living in the UK for 5 years and then went back to study for a few months last year. Am now entering my sixth month at my new job up near Johannesburg. I'm a draughtsman and work for Consulting Engineers.
I've battled with my weight for most of my life with some periods of great weight loss at times (usually as a result of stress at work or very little money while in London). I've now been doing Weight Watchers at Home for about 4 months now and the weight is slooooowly coming off. I've now come to realise that I only lose about 1 week in four and I can cope with that as long as it isn't a gain!!
I try to exercise at least 3 times a week and am doing an old version of the Self Challenge as it makes me accountable for the exercise.

Great to meet you all.

SheriaVa
07-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Welcome, Megan! So lovely to have you join us.

I am so impressed that you're hanging in there even though your weight loss is slow...that's fabulous! I lost my weight (I'm about halfway to my goal weight) slowly as well and I happen to think that's the way to go. However, I sure understand the frustration.

I get so tired of having people complain to me about "only" losing 2 or 3 pounds a week. I would KILL to lose 2 or 3 pounds a week! They think of it as a failure because they want it all gone NOW. Well yea, we can all relate to that, but still...!

JanetG
07-25-2005, 07:47 PM
I'm with you guys - as long as I don't regain what I've lost, I am happy. I do go through spurts of losing 2-3 pounds in a week, but then I seem to plateau for a couple weeks while my body adjusts. If it would only come off as easily as it goes on :^: ... I've been on this diet for 48 weeks and am down 75 pounds for an average of 1.6 pounds a week. Its alot slower now than when I started, but probably because of the lessened commitment and motivation.

I agree with the five times a week seeming to be impossible. One of the recent books I read said that it takes more exercise to keep the weight off after losing than it does to lose it. :yikes: Bummer huh? I guess it makes sense with resting metabolisms, lean muscle and all that. So get used to it ladies!!! Maybe I won't hate it so much when I get the weight off and I'll want to exercise...but somehow, I just don't see that happening.

Exercise has got to become a priority again. I have had issues with depression in the past and I find that my moods are much more even when I am exercising regularly. Whether it's because of the increased control I feel or because there really is an exercise-antidepression link, I have no idea, but the blues are calling.

Hope all is going well with everyone

wanderlust
07-25-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi there. Welcome megsa.

Sheri: I agree... I'll take whatever loss there is!!

Janet: I'm with ya regarding exercise. It's really time to get back in the saddle. I broke my wrist 4 mos. ago and have really let exercise go by the wasteside... and my moods are better with exercise as well.

I know if will make me feel good... and lead to me looking good - so why is it such a challenge? It takes every(!) ounce of courage in my body to get out of my door to get the gym...

Hope everyone has a good week!!

megsa
07-26-2005, 06:01 AM
I've found that having my exercise bike or stepper in front of the tv helps A LOT!

lilybutt
07-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Hello…..

Doing well here….maybe not really a “good” diet, but doing okay…Yesterday I knew I was going out to dinner with a friend to a pasta bar…so I ate very sparingly during the day…..got there and had pasta with red, yellow, green peppers, black and green olives, tomatoes, shrimp and chicken with red sauce…..all in all, not REALLY that bad!!!!!

Did go buy a new pair of shoes yesterday too…walked yesterday afternoon, and ended up with ANOTHER blister and said enough is enough…..hopefully these will fit better! The last two pairs were medium width; these are wide, they felt a lot better! For 75 bucks they better be!!!!

Megsa and Wander…..I usually watch TV at the Y…..makes the time go faster!

Janet…Exercise, exercise, exercise….the doc told me that for my depression and anxiety too…jeez how can something so good for us be so hard!!! LOLOLOLOL

Sheri…..I agree…a pound a week would rock my world….anything is good!!! Sometimes maintaining is even good!!! Like I seem to be doing now! Lose a pound…maintain for a month LOL…oh well!

Everyone…you guys keep me honest and keep me going…thanks!!

Lilybutt

JanetG
07-27-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone, just checking in and bringing us to the first page again.

Megsa - ditto on having the exercise equiptment in front of a TV. I used to play Nintendo when I was on the treadmill. I can barely walk & chew gum at the same time so I played Monopoly which required very little hand eye coordination. At the YMCA I go to, they only have two TVs and one is tuned into a news station and the other to sports, so I have been borrowing books on tape cassettes from the library to listen to. Anything to make the time go faster.

Lillybutt - any control at all at a pasta bar would be good enough for me!! :lol: Pasta is my downfall (coming from a big Italian family and a mother who was a phenomenal cook). I can't even have it in the house or it's a binge waiting to happen. Finding decent shoes can be a pain - no pun intended. I wear a size 11 and alot of times my choices are limited to what the stores carry in an 11. Certainly cuts down on the choices! And unfortunately, my feet are the only thing about me that isn't wide, so it can be a challenge. I found a new pair that I actually bought off a guy at work that I just love. They are actually a size 12, but I refuse to believe I am a 12, so they MUST be mislabeled :D .

As to the exercise? Just get that old Nike attitude and JUST DO IT!

Good luck all! Gotta get to bed so I can get up and "Just do it", 'Nite

lilybutt
07-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Had a thought today…went walking outside (new shoes worked out great….still got the old blisters, but no new ones)…anyway…I was thinking about wanting to lose weight and having a goal. Now my long term, would be ecstatic to be there, goal is---190. I was up to 250 once, got as low as 130, but gained weight back and got as high as 320, then I lost 80 and have bounced up and down at the 240-235 range for months, okay actually well over a year. So I was thinking about goals and weight and diets and thought to myself “why am I settling for 190….seems that I could be down further…170? 150? 130?” ……then stopped myself cold and said to myself, in my head of course-I don’t talk to myself on my walks, only in the privacy of my home-hehehehe-“why are you thinking about a weight loss goal?….what I am doing now…eating 1500 calorie of healthy food, exercising as often as I can (trying for the 5 days a week), should be my goal…not losing weight”. So I though instead of going to bed every night ruminating about whether the scale will show a loss in the morning and waking up running to the scale…..I should go to bed every night proud of having made good eating choices,while at home or eating out, or sticking with my calories, or walking and lifting weights, or just feeling good about myself. And get up in the morning and make conscience decisions about how I am going to live that day to be healthier….just my musings!

Lilybutt

megsa
07-28-2005, 04:18 AM
I've discovered that I HATE the fact of walking just for the sake of it (or for exercise)! Walking around in circles does my head in! When I lived in London I walked a lot as it was easier and often quicker than taking a bus. Now back here in SA, you can't get anywhere without a car, so now I've got an exercise bike and peddle nowhere and back three times a week!

My diet pretty much sucks this week. Fell off the wagon last night and had a small packet of peanuts (50g) and two ff brownies. Not really that bad, but also not that good! Will be spending the weekend with a friend and REALLY looking forward to it. She is pregnant and I can't wait to see how she looks! It does mean that my eating will be a bit unrestrained, but it normally is over a weekend. I very rarely manage to stay OP on Sat and Sun. Think that it's because I have no routine. I normally weigh on a Sun am, but just do it on Sun night this time.

Payday today, so am now off to bank to shift money away from me.

Meg

SheriaVa
07-28-2005, 12:23 PM
Had a thought today…So I though instead of going to bed every night ruminating about whether the scale will show a loss in the morning and waking up running to the scale…..I should go to bed every night proud of having made good eating choices,while at home or eating out, or sticking with my calories, or walking and lifting weights, or just feeling good about myself. And get up in the morning and make conscience decisions about how I am going to live that day to be healthier….just my musings!

Lilybutt, that is AWESOME! You know, I have been plateauing for a very long time now and it is really frustrating. But I finally decided a few months ago to look at the silver lining (that by plateauing so long, I'm learning to maintain, which is a skill I will definitely need when I eventually get to my goal) instead of looking at the frustrating (ARGH! why can't I lose weight!). It has definitely helped my emotional well-being to think of it in a more positive light. Every little bit helps, ya know?

Keep up the great work...that was one powerful thought you had!

JanetG
07-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Megsa - I've never tried it, but this is something my sister-in-law does when she is on her excercise bike: she has a map of the United States and some travel books. She plots an imaginary course on the map and reads up in the travel books about places she wants to visit. Then she "bikes" to them. When she reaches her goals, she reads the in the travel books about the places she has "reached". I guess you could just plot a course across the map without reading. Don't know if it would work for you, but it might be better than biking to nowhere & back!

Lillibutt - sounds like you are in a good, healthy place to be mentally. This battle is for life and your road will be easier with your better attitude.

SheriaVa - I like to look at plateaus as my body giving my skin time to catch up. Don't know if it works, but it takes my mind of the worries over loose skin!

megsa
07-29-2005, 05:23 AM
Janet - I've been keeping track of my distance and have done about 210km in the last month or so. Have been thinking of trying to get to Cape Town (which means about another 900km to go!!) :lol:

Today at work has been hysteria all round. My engineer is on vacation and things have gone pear-shaped on one of the jobs so I've had hysterical contractors phoning me a couple of times a day! They'll just have to wait til Tues when we can actually DO something!

SheriaVa
07-29-2005, 08:01 AM
SheriaVa - I like to look at plateaus as my body giving my skin time to catch up. Don't know if it works, but it takes my mind of the worries over loose skin!

Good point! I have only lost 30-35 pounds but, being over age 50 when I lost them, I was worried about droopiness. I had a little at one time under my chin but that seems to have lessened. I totally agree that losing slowly is beneficial in allowing our bodies to adapt (in all sorts of ways, including skin) to the new us!

JanetG
07-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Hi everyone - Just posting to check in and bring us back up to the top. Having a kind of lazy day here. I did get up and go to the gym this morning, so at least I got that out of the way. My brother and my neice, who both share my house, are out of town so I have the house to myself for a nice change. I've been lazing around, finished a book and am mulling over going out to see a movie. On the other hand, maybe I'll go out and rent one to relish this time alone. No ambition whatsoever in this bod! I'm cool with that though...

Okay Megsa - Cape Town by Christmas!!

Sheria - glad to hear the skin does tighten up, even a little. I worry about that now, instead of the weight. Perverse creatures, aren't we? If we didin't have something to worry about, then we'd worry about that! Either way, I'd rather have the droops than the weight.

Hope all is going we for everyone. Have a great rest of weekend!

lilybutt
07-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Hello!

Just enjoying a quiet night home alone on a Saturday night...nothing much on TV!!!! Oh well...it has been a good day. Yesterday I called a friend to go have dinner with me last night (Friday)...I think I had not spoken to a single person all week, except for the furbabies!, and I needed to get out.....it was obvious...I chatted her ears off!!! Oh well that is what friends are for!

Today I ran some errands, went for a walk using a new pedometer (walk was 6200 steps..wooo hooo!), made some supper and started a new book. Tell you what guys...it is very obvious it is time for school to start and for me to go back to work!!!! I enjoy me time home and time alone...but it is time to get things started and go back to work. I have one more full week off...then two weeks of working a few days...then start back full time.

Tomorrow I am headed to Minneapolis to pick my boyfriend up at the airport.....heading up early and doing some shopping along the way...looking forward to it and I usually am not much of a shopper! Monday I am taking my car in to be serviced...100,000 miles!!! then I'm heading to the bank to make the last car payment. That will be a good day!

Eating wise...all is good here...even at dinner the other night did okay. Went to the grocery store and loaded up on fruits and veggies. I am working on decreasing the diet pop thing.....working on it is the optimal phrase there.....drinking ice tea to replace some of it and increased water.....hopefully be off it by next weekend.

Oh and the 5 days of exercise this week.....well let me think......Last Sunday went to the Y and biked and did weights, Tuesday and Wednesday walked, Thursday back to the Y and biked and weights, Saturday walked outside...all for an hour....so I DID IT!!! 5 days!!!!

Enjoy your weekend!
Lliybutt

SheriaVa
07-31-2005, 10:35 AM
I enjoy me time home and time alone...but it is time to get things started and go back to work.

I hear what you're saying. I'm probably the most solitary person I know and yet, if I spend TOO much time alone, I can get depressed. Definitely needs to be a good balance between the social time and the alone time!

then I'm heading to the bank to make the last car payment. That will be a good day!

WOOHOO! OH man, I know how good that feels. I am always so happy when I finish off a car loan. :)

Oh and the 5 days of exercise this week.....well let me think......Last Sunday went to the Y and biked and did weights, Tuesday and Wednesday walked, Thursday back to the Y and biked and weights, Saturday walked outside...all for an hour....so I DID IT!!! 5 days!!!!

WOOHOO No. 2!!! You're doing wonderfully, lilybutt! Keep up the great work!

megsa
08-01-2005, 05:44 AM
Lilybut : I really know what you mean! 'Not a people person' does not even begin to describe me! I see people at work and that's more than enough for me. Saw lots of friends on Sat eve and even that stresses me out for a while beforehand. Always enjoy it, but dread the buildup.

My sis and brother-in-law came round last night and he noticed that I'd lost weight!!! Yay!! He can be quite nasty in his teasing about my weight and it felt good to get a compliment from him. I measured myself yesterday and i've lost about 16cms all round. About four each from bust, waist and hips! Really makes it feel like somethings happening.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Meg

bellarotunda
08-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Hi there -

I'm a single Mom in Ontario, Canada, and can really relate to this thread. I find that I can do EXCELLENT all day with my eating, but in the evening, after the kids are asleep and I'm on my own, that's when the eating starts. If I have company, I'm fine, but it's being on my own so much that does it. Any ideas? I've been thinking of trying some 'planned snacks', but not sure what to do? I like the carbs/salty snacks - not a sweet person.

Thanks!

megsa
08-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Welcome bellarotunda (dig the name!) I've found that eating dinner and then doing some exercise cuts down the cravings in a big way. I think it has to do with the endorphins or something. It doesn't always work and I find weekends particularly hard to stay op, but getting off the couch for even just a few minutes is good.

Good luck

Meg

SheriaVa
08-01-2005, 09:25 AM
Hi there -

I'm a single Mom in Ontario, Canada, and can really relate to this thread. I find that I can do EXCELLENT all day with my eating, but in the evening, after the kids are asleep and I'm on my own, that's when the eating starts. If I have company, I'm fine, but it's being on my own so much that does it. Any ideas? I've been thinking of trying some 'planned snacks', but not sure what to do? I like the carbs/salty snacks - not a sweet person.

Welcome, Bella!

Do you feel that you're eating in the evening because you're hungry or is it more an emotional thing (lonely, bored, etc.)?

If it's true hunger, then I would say make sure you're getting a more substantial dinner (or a more substantial lunch, if you don't want to eat so much later in the day).

If it's emotional eating, start by switching your snacks to healthier things like air-popped popcorn (or the 94% fat free microwave variety if you don't have an air popper). Then start thinking about what emotion it is that you're feeling and think about how you can meet that need in non-food ways. For example, if you're feeling lonely or in need of some conversation, pick up the phone and call a friend or family member and have a chat instead of snacking. If boredom is more the issue, get involved in a hobby that will keep you busy in the evenings--especially some sort of handcraft (knitting, needlepoint, etc.) that would involve you using your hands. Get into a good book that you can pick up each evening. Write poetry if you're so inclined.

I'd also suggest that you start keeping a journal if you aren't already. If you aren't consciously aware of why you're snacking, keeping a journal will help you identify what it is that you're feeling when you want to snack. Every time you get the urge to snack, first pick up the journal and write down what you're thinking--be honest! Then allow yourself the snack, but be sure it's healthy. After a week, read over the journal and see if you can pinpoint the emotion that's causing the snacking...then start working on that.

Good luck!

lilybutt
08-02-2005, 09:45 PM
Hi Everyone....

Still hanging in here.....so hot here though! I didn't exercise on Sunday, went to the Twin Cities to pick up my boyfriend. Then on Monday I almost had an impromptu overnight trip...so packed to go and got in the car.....only to discover...the plan was off by a week, it is next Monday night.....luckily wasn't even out of town before the call came.....so ended up going out for dinner and a long harley ride! Very nice evening with the BF! So today I walked 3 miles outside. The new shoes are awesome.....my feet and legs get tired, not sore and full of blisters! Feels good! Tomorrow I will go to the Y and ride the bike and lift weights.

Megsa....LOL not a people person...oh my can I relate.....my mom called and asked me to travel with her and my Dad 6 hours in the car and the for a whole weekend to visist some relatives....now i would like to go see them....I actually am considering driving myself!!!! LOL...I know I would have my own motel room for sure!!!

Bella...I am a carb/salty eater too...I buy the 100 cal packs of crackers or ritz snacks or the 100 cal microwave popcorn.....It does the trick for me!!!!

Everyone.....keep on keeping on!

Lilybutt

corningkat
08-03-2005, 08:02 PM
hi singles! i'm baaacccckkkk! for a short time anyways. sorry it took so long to get back. life has been very, very busy. my vacation was wonderful and relaxing. i only gained .75 of a lb. not too bad for all i ate. i discovered canolis on my trip into little italy. :lol: nyc was soo interesting. not at all as i pictured. it has cleaned up so much since i was there last when i was young.

my mom left saturday. :( she was impressed with what i had done with the house so far. saturday afternoon i went and purchased my new truck. i picked that up yesterday and of course i have been cruising around since. my friend and i took a 1/2 day off from work today and went swimming because it is so hot here. it's fun to play hooky once in a while.

welcome bella and megan!! glad to have you join us. :) i am glad to here everyone is doing well and out thread is thriving.

i am going away again for this weekend, so i probably won't be back till next week. i hope everyone has a great rest of the week!!!
kathy

Holli's Human
08-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Hello girls, Have enjoyed reading the thread today. I tried to post here months ago but was not motivated or consistent. I'm trying to get back on track now and thought I'd write a quick note sorta re-join again...although I've been doing well on the Jorge Cruise plan for close to 2 weeks now, I now soon I will need somewhere to come for support and encouragement as well as continued motivation. I used the journals today and that helped keep me on track. Gotta go now and prepare a healthy dinner! Until later....

SheriaVa
08-05-2005, 07:47 AM
Holli's Human: So good to see you again! Glad you came back to visit. How are you liking the 3-Hour Diet? What do you like and dislike about it? I have been eating pretty close to every 3 hours for about 2 years now and I do find that I can manage to almost never be hungry if I stay on that schedule. Not ever getting too hungry is key, since I tend to overindulge (or indulge in the wrong foods) when I get really hungry.

Kathy: Good to hear from you! Glad you had a nice visit with Mom.

Happy Friday to all! Hope you have a marvelous weekend.

Holli's Human
08-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Sheria, I am loving the 3 hour diet! I am a bit enthusiastic today cause I just weight ( 2 weeks mark) and have lost another 3lbs!!!! THat is 6 total. I feel so great! I have more energy and am almost never hungry. Both I have never experienced before while dieting. Tired and hungry usually wear me down. The food is delish and very satisfying. I haven't had this much success on a diet plan in years, outside of the usual starvation plan. I'm thrilled with it! I joined the website last night and think it will be extremely helpful in meal planning and new recipe ideas. I haven't exercised at all in the 2 weeks, as he says you don't have to, but of course reccommends you do. I may start his 8 min. in the morning exercise plan Monday to start toning a little.

Hope everyone else is doing well and have a great weekend!

wanderlust
08-08-2005, 01:23 AM
[QUOTE=SheriaVa]If it's emotional eating, start by switching your snacks to healthier things like air-popped popcorn (or the 94% fat free microwave variety if you don't have an air popper). Then start thinking about what emotion it is that you're feeling and think about how you can meet that need in non-food ways. For example, if you're feeling lonely or in need of some conversation, pick up the phone and call a friend or family member and have a chat instead of snacking. If boredom is more the issue, get involved in a hobby that will keep you busy in the evenings--especially some sort of handcraft (knitting, needlepoint, etc.) that would involve you using your hands. Get into a good book that you can pick up each evening. Write poetry if you're so inclined.
QUOTE]

This is just what I needed to read tonite!! Thank you Sheri - you always have such good, sound advice!

Janet: I really like that your SIL makes an imaginary course. I get so bored on machines... maybe I'll try it!

I've been way off-course and subsequently quiet on the board (i know that's when i should be more "vocal"... ?!). I'm trying to focus my mind (always have a lot of thoughts buzzing around). Do you think that - mainly - weightloss is mind over matter?

I happened across a motivational speaker on TV yesterday and a point that he made was that the Wright brothers didn't achieve flying by dreaming of staying on the ground. What do you guys think of that? For some reason, it speaks to me... although sometimes if I focus too much on trying to lose weight - it becomes too much and too overwhelming... ?!

Anyway: thank you for all the posts... y'all are motivating me to put one foot in front of the other.

wanderlust
08-08-2005, 01:24 AM
ok... p.s. I guess I have no idea how to "quote"!! hahahaaaaaa (sorry!)

SheriaVa
08-08-2005, 05:25 PM
This is just what I needed to read tonite!! Thank you Sheri - you always have such good, sound advice!

You're most welcome. I'm so glad you found it helpful. :)

I've been way off-course and subsequently quiet on the board (i know that's when i should be more "vocal"... ?!).

While I completely understand the thought process of staying quiet when you're off course (that has seemed to be predominant attitude on 3FC overall in the time I've been here), I do find it really helpful to "talk it out" when things are going crappy. There are times when I'm feeling SO down that I'm not up to sharing but, more often than not, I find that posting when things are rough--and getting support from the group in return--are helpful to keeping a small stray off-course from being a major detour. Just a thought!

Do you think that - mainly - weightloss is mind over matter?

Yes and no. Everything I read about weight loss from "the experts" says that weight loss is pure science: calories taken in - calories expended through exercising = weight loss. However, I know that, for myself, this is not always true and I have heard the same thing from other women, esp. women over 40. For me, eating too few calories on a consistent basis tends to be a problem. I've noticed that, on mornings after a bigger day of eating, the scale goes DOWN not UP...if it was just science, that wouldn't happen.

I do believe that a positive outlook has a lot to do with everything we try to achieve in life, including weight loss. I have been plateauing for a year this month and I beat myself up pretty good about it in the first half or more of that year ("you're a failure," "you can't do anything right," "why can other people do this so easily and you can't?"). Just recently, I've been trying to be more positive. First, I started several months ago by reframing the plateau (i.e., looking at the silver lining) as not wholly negative. Now, I'm adding to that by repeating positive affirmations to myself. I am FEELING more fit and lean, but it's not yet showing on the scale. I only just started the affirmations this past week or so, so I need to give it more time.

lilybutt
08-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Oh my! Once again time has slipped away from me and I just haven’t had time to sit down and post…..officially I am back to work…but just 3 days this week and next then back to full time! Oh well it has been a great summer and I am ready to go back!

I REALLY wanted to be at 230 by the end of the month….but I just am stuck bouncing around between 238-240……so I may not make it…but I am not giving up!!!!!

Sheri…you are SOOOOOOO correct…cal in/cal out is the science…..there is more to it than that…..I used to be able to lose 5 pounds so easily…now I just can’t…..I, too, am thinking about how much fitter I feel and how much better my clothes fit and how good my health is….the weight loss will come if I stick with it!!!

Wander….just keep reading if that is all you have time to do…..I know I post for my own well being….”getting it out” so to speak….nice to know someone reads it!

Oh yes….I did 5 days of exercise last week again……and already did two days this week….I start my weeks on Sunday…..so I am doing the right things!!!!

Well just wanted to touch base…..good eating and exercising to all!!!

Lilybutt

SheriaVa
08-09-2005, 08:38 AM
Sheri…you are SOOOOOOO correct…cal in/cal out is the science…..there is more to it than that…..I used to be able to lose 5 pounds so easily…now I just can’t…..I, too, am thinking about how much fitter I feel and how much better my clothes fit and how good my health is….the weight loss will come if I stick with it!!!

YUP! That's my philosophy too.

Oh yes….I did 5 days of exercise last week again……and already did two days this week….I start my weeks on Sunday…..so I am doing the right things!!!!

Way to go! I got my 5 days in last week too...but barely. I got into a serious emotional funk this weekend and just didn't want to do JACK. I skipped the gym on Saturday and that's usually my longest and most intense workout of the week. So that left Sunday as my last day to get in my 5th exercise day of the week (my exercise week runs Monday to Sunday). It was until maybe 5 or 6 p.m. that I finally got it together, but I did it! Not only did I exercise, but I picked the toughest workout I have on DVD--Tae-Bo Cardio. WHEW! What a workout. :)

Five days a week is always my goal. Last year, I did 6 days a week for much of the year, but found myself feeling resentful about always having to work out--it just felt like I wasn't getting much of a break. Since I went to 5 days a week, I find that I am able to keep up with the schedule more often than not and that I don't feel overworked or resentful about it. As a result, while 6 days of exercise may be better for me physically and help me lose weight better, it's bad for me emotionally/mentally and that means I am more likely to blow off exercise more days a week and that's counterproductive.

It's all about finding out what works for our body and doing it consistently! :)

lilybutt
08-10-2005, 02:32 PM
I think, I say in a whisper, with my fingers crossed, knocking on wood wearing my lucky charms, I may have broke the plateau.....weighed in today....down 4 pounds!!!! But I am being reserved and waiting to see what happens the next few days....maybe??? the exercise is working?? LOL

Lilybutt

corningkat
08-10-2005, 08:59 PM
hey singles! i'm still here. haven't had a lot of time to sit down and post though. it seems when i do get the time it is late and all i want to do is go to sleep. been going to bed earlier that i used too. i haven't figured out as too why i am so tired lately.

welcome back holli's human! glad to have you return. great job on the 6lb loss!! keep it up! :)

my weekend away went ok. it was expensive for just a volunteering job. and it wasn't a charity or anything so i probably won't do it again. i ended up taking monday off just to catch up on some sleep.

my tops meetings are going well. i think i remember telling about a exercise contest i volunteered to be captain of.....well, my team won!!! :D i was so excited. it also feels good to be moving a little again. i will get back to par slowly but surely.

sheri- i have to agree with wanderlust, you do give good advice! thanks! :cool:

well, i will check back soon. hopefully after august i will have more time to myself. happy thursday!
kathy

wanderlust
08-13-2005, 01:28 AM
lilybutt: i'm crossing my fingers too!!! good work!!!! :)

corningkat
08-14-2005, 06:53 PM
hi singles! another weekend over! :( nothing much eventful here.

lilybut - i hope your plateau is broken and then some!!! i posted this in a previous post but for some reason it isn't here.??? i have faith in you and please rub off some of that determination on me. :)

i bought some books this weekend. the one i started is "Tales From the Scales". i've only read a little but it sheds some light from other women's view of the things i think and feel. it's a wierd kind of funny to realize they actually think the same things i do. and when i read it, i can't believe i have those thoughts of low self esteem like others. i always feel i am the only one who thinks those stupid things. i'll keep you up to date on it as i read it.

i hope everyone had a good weekend and have a great week too! :D
kathy

lilybutt
08-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi all……well I haven’t weighed myself since I dropped the 4 pounds. One reason is that I really was not in a place to see it go back up right away. The other is that I have had a few nights out, and have eaten somethings that I shouldn’t have….so waiting to be on track for a few days to weigh again….giving it a few days! Still exercising, but not today…instead I did a TON of yard work…edged the yard, mowed, weeded, and fertilized! I think that counts! And I did a great job eating today! Back to work tomorrow and back to a work/eating routine. I have done a good job with drinking less diet pop, I hope I can keep it up when back at work. I bout a box of 100 calorie microwave popcorn bags….for the afternoon munchies, if they hit! So trying to be prepared!!!

Best to all of you for the week!!!

Lilybutt

SheriaVa
08-14-2005, 11:11 PM
i bought some books this weekend. the one i started is "Tales From the Scales". i've only read a little but it sheds some light from other women's view of the things i think and feel.

Have you ever read "Passing for Thin" by Frances Kuffell? I may have talked about it here when I was reading it--think it was earlier this year or late last year. It is by a woman who lost half her body weight. I did not end up liking the author after reading it and I was very disappointed in her weight loss methods (they weren't all that healthy) but she does touch on a LOT of issues that are pretty universal for overweight women. She is also one of the few people (at least at the time the book was published) to address what it's like to be thin after being morbidly obese. A lot of people put their lives on hold, thinking that life will begin when they are thin. For her, she still had major problems--they were just different problems than when she was fat. But she had a horrible time adjusting to being thin.

Though I did not like her weight loss methods and I really ended the book disliking her pretty intensely, I would still recommend the book to anyone who is or has been overweight (and I don't mean by 5 or 10 pounds).

I was only about 65-70 pounds overweight when I started my journey and I still got a lot out of the book, so it's not like you have to be 100-200 pounds overweight to benefit from it.

Kathy, please keep us updated on "Tales from the Scales." I'm always interested in books that delve into that area.

corningkat
08-17-2005, 07:32 PM
hi singles! i am having trouble posting this reply so i hope it gets thru. i am having a so so week. pretty boring actually. :p

sheri - so far this book is "ok". i don't see what scales has to do with anything as of yet. there are different anecdotes from several women about different subjects. i believe these women are no longer overweight. the example that comes to mind is a story of what one women felt like when she had to endure gym class as an overweight kid. if you are interested, i will be happy to mail it to you when i'm done. i usually give my books aways after i'm done anyways, unless it really strikes a chord with me.

i don't have much too report, except i am loving this beautifull cooler weather we are having.it feels like fall and fall is my favorite time of the year!!! :)

have a good thursday!
kathy

lilybutt
08-18-2005, 11:54 AM
Hi!

Still here and hanging in there. Right now not counting calories.....just watching it and concentrating on eating when I am hungry. Oh yes and drinking water…..the pop addiction has gotten much better, keep it to one a day now and I think that is fine. I put the calorie counting on hold because I have had lots of “events” this week to go to. Went to the state fair and knew I would be eating fair food. I won’t share the gory details, but I went a girl friend and we ate food on a stick, but bought one of everything and shared it so we didn’t each too much. Then we went to the Big and Rich concert…those are some crazy boys!!! Last night I had dinner with girl friends, but ate a salad. This weekend I am going to go visit some relative and it will involve eating out…..so instead of worrying about calories, I am going to make good choices and go back to the calorie count on Monday. That’s my plan!!!!

Thanks to all of you for being there. It is so nice to log in and see familiar faces that I can connect with….Everyone have a good weekend!!
Lilybutt

megsa
08-22-2005, 04:00 AM
Hi Singles!

Have not had a very good few weeks as I've been sick and as a result, not sticking to plan! Last week was better, but the eating was out of control! I got a load of dried wors and biltong (dried sausage and ?jerky) and just ate way too much! So I've managed to put on a pound. I'm just glad that it's not more!

Self mag has a new fitness plan that covers a month and I plan to start that today. I need to get back on track now that summer is on it's way. I finish my six month probation at work this week. I can't quite believe that I've been here six months already! (Maybe I'll get another raise?!?)

At least I do have a bit of work and aren't just surfing the net or playing games! Let me go and print out some plans.

Have a good week.

Meg

SheriaVa
08-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Hey all! Just a quick note to say hi. Was in Ohio from Friday through this morning for a family reunion. Hope all are well.

corningkat
08-23-2005, 07:10 PM
hey singles! how is every little thing?? :) i'm doing pretty good today. i just finished a 2 mile walk with leslie sansone, so i'm a little pooped as it's the first real exercise i've had in a bit.

meg - i'm glad to hear you are getting better. i'm not sure i could eat "dried wors and biltong" just from the sound of it. :lol: i'm not one for eating new things. what kind of work are you doing there??? also i wish summer was on it's way here too. unfortunately it's on it's way out. :lol:

shere - how was the family reunion?? i hope you had a good time and did a lot of catching up. make sure to read a couple of back post when you get time. i posted to you about my book i'm reading.

well, i am famished and the ol' stomach is actually, truly growling very loud. i am trying to be more concious of my hunger scale. have a good humpday!
kathy

SheriaVa
08-24-2005, 10:43 AM
shere - how was the family reunion?? i hope you had a good time and did a lot of catching up. make sure to read a couple of back post when you get time. i posted to you about my book i'm reading.

The family reunion and the overall weekend was much better than expected (we'd been having issues with my mother since the June family vacation in FLorida, so I was afraid this weekend was going to be anywhere from really awkward to openly hostile).

The food at the reunion was better than usual...taste-wise...but tremendously unhealthy. There wasn't even a veggie tray or salad or any kind of identifiable vegetable (other than potato). There were 3 cheesy potato casseroles in a row and 3-4 fatty pasta salads in a row plus yummy pulled pork sammiches and loads of desserts. Since my only option was to eat fatty or not eat, I chose small spoonfuls of the things that "spoke" to me the most...sauerkraut and 1 bitesize piece of bratwurst, notoriously yummy baked beans, a little potato casserole and some pasta salad and a pulled pork sammich (they actually had 1 package of whole wheat buns in among the many white buns, so I felt like I got a LITTLE something healthy LOL). For dessert, I had a piece of chocolate cake w/o the icing and one of Cousin Sue's also notorious peanut butter & chocolate Rice Krispie treats--so good they make your eyes roll back in your head.

Got a cold as soon as I was home. Ugh. Feeling crappy but at work today because we are interviewing for a new person on my staff.

AllieNVegas
08-24-2005, 05:11 PM
Hello Everyone,

New to this thread. Started my healthy journed this past summer. I live in Las Vegas and looking for support. I have quiet a bit to lose 125lbs. I particularily enjoy the Leslie Sansone Walk Aerobic dvds.

Look forward to getting to know you!

SheriaVa
08-25-2005, 09:42 AM
Welcome, Allie! I used the Leslie Sansone tapes a LOT in the first year of my journey. I own 5 or 6 of them. My favorites are the 3- and 4-mile express ones where they have a big group of people behind her who range from the 20s to the 70s. I think the 3-mile uses stretchy bands but the 4-mile is just walking without the balls or the stretchy bands.

AllieNVegas
08-26-2005, 12:40 AM
Sheria, I have 4 various 2 mile dvds, 1 - 3mile, and 1 - 4mile dvd. I am working on mastering all the 2 mile ones first. I do all four each week. I know which groups you are talking about I have those as well, She has a 2 mile Brisk Walk that also uses the stretchie band, also. Do you have any of the ones with her and the step?

Are you still using the tapes?

SheriaVa
08-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Do you have any of the ones with her and the step?
Are you still using the tapes?

I don't think I even knew she had any with a step so no, I don't have any of those. Most of mine are just walking, but I do have one with stretchy bands and one with her walk away weights (the little weight balls).

I have not used any WATP workouts in a few months because I'd started to have a problem with my hip so I started varying my workouts more and found that, when I eliminated WATP, I didn't have the hip problem anymore. A friend of mine thinks that it's not necessarily that WATP CAUSED the hip problem, but that I had too little variety in my workout regimen at that time and therefore was just doing the same movements (WATP) too much. That's very possible because, at one time, WATP was the majority of my workout regimen.

I do plan to re-incorporate WATP (to a lesser degree than before) at some point, esp. during the winter when I can't walk outside. However, some of the WATPs I have...the 1- and 2-mile DVDs I started with, are just not challenging enough anymore so I probably won't do those anymore unless it's to include them as part of a workout that includes other elements (like a 40-minute workout of which 15 minutes is WATP).

AllieNVegas
08-27-2005, 01:01 AM
Sheria,

I hope your hip gets better.

I saw the Pilates stretchie bands that have 3 bands for $29.99. Does the stretchie band work?
Yesh she has one called WalkBlaster Set with Ramp. You can see a demo of it at www.collagevideo.com .I am thinking about getting it.

SheriaVa
08-28-2005, 03:19 PM
I saw the Pilates stretchie bands that have 3 bands for $29.99. Does the stretchie band work?

You can actually do a lot better than that on price, depending on what you want in the bands. If you're looking for bands to work upper body, you can get a set of Therabands on amazon.com for under $10 as I recall. If you're looking for the circle bands that are used for lower body, I'm not sure there is a cheaper alternative.

As for whether they work--well, that depends on what your fitness level is and what you're planning on using the bands for (upper or lower). If you're just starting out with resistance training (i.e., you haven't lifted weights at all or much and haven't done much toning work), then you will probably see improvement using the bands. If you've already built good muscle tone through weight training and toning, I don't know that the bands will give you much bang for your buck. I haven't used the leg bands (where it's like a big rubber band and you put it around your ankles and pull your legs apart to work the muscles) but recently looked at a set while I was in Ohio. I have used resistance bands for my upper body but only along with WATP or while doing physical therapy in 2002 for a shoulder injury, so I can't say I've got a great deal of experience at using them to build muscle.

Yes she has one called WalkBlaster Set with Ramp. You can see a demo of it at www.collagevideo.com .I am thinking about getting it.

Thanks. I hadn't heard of that one...I'll check out the demo.

AllieNVegas
08-28-2005, 03:33 PM
You can actually do a lot better than that on price, depending on what you want in the bands. If you're looking for bands to work upper body, you can get a set of Therabands on amazon.com for under $10 as I recall. If you're looking for the circle bands that are used for lower body, I'm not sure there is a cheaper alternative.
I am glad that I held off from being them and asked here. Thanks for the tip. I will check out Therabands on amazon.com.

corningkat
08-28-2005, 08:01 PM
hi singles! welcome allie!! i did post a previous welcome but it must have gotten lost in cyberspace. that has done that to me a few times lately :?:

anyways, i have the 4 mile, but i only do 2 miles of it so far. it's more of a time thing for me. my life should be quieting down after this weekend, so i can get back to concentrating on my efforts.

i had a big wedding this weekend and boy am i glad that is over with. it was my best friend's son's. we decorated the hall fri. nite, then i worked sat. morning, came home got ready for the afternoon wedding/evening reception, helped with clean-up, worked this morning and then went to an post wedding picnic. boy am i pooped:tired:. the wedding was beautiful and the reception was fun, so it was worth all the effort. i am not looking forward to my tops weigh-in tomorrow nite. i think it's way too late for damage control. :dizzy:

sheri - how is that cold doing? did you nurse it away i hope?!the kids all go back to school soon and that's when everyone starts catching them and bringing them to work. we go thru this every september. ugh! i haven't finished the book yet. i keep getting sidetracked. i am going to relax and try to get some reading in tonite.

well, i hope everyone has a good week!
kathy

SheriaVa
08-29-2005, 08:07 AM
sheri - how is that cold doing? did you nurse it away i hope?!the kids all go back to school soon and that's when everyone starts catching them and bringing them to work. we go thru this every september.

It is still hanging on...the darn thing just won't go away, though it's certainly better today than last week. UGH! I think it is hanging on so long because I HAD to go to work last week when I got back from Ohio. My body tends to shut down and want to sleep when I am sick, so forcing myself to go to work when I wanted to be home taking care of myself was rough on me.

I have only exercised once in the past week, which was yesterday. That is almost unheard of for me to go that long without exercising. I also made some really bad food choices late last week because I was throwing a big ol' pity party for myself. But I didn't completely throw the food plan out the door and that's great news. My weight is actually DOWN from last Wednesday's weigh-in, so that's a relief. I think that's only because my weight was still up with water weight from the Ohio trip last week, but I'll still take the lower number cuz heck it could have been even worse with all the bad eating and no exercise in the past week!

I've got my exercise clothes on right now and am about to go make it 2 days in a row, so I'll shut my yap for now. :)

AllieNVegas
08-29-2005, 06:17 PM
Hope Everyone is having a GREAT day!

corningkat
08-30-2005, 01:16 PM
hey singles! playing hooky today because i was sick all night. still not feeling well this afternoon. i don't know if i got a bug or ate something bad or what. i just couldn't deal with work, this much i know.

sheri - you'll get back into the swing of it. it is hard to do anything when you're sick. i know i'm a big baby when i'm ill. i wonder where all those people are that were posting here for a while??? did we scare them off again? :lol:

allie - i hope you are having a great day too!! :D

well, i'm going to back to the couch where i belong. i am getting some reading done though so all is not lost.
kathy

lilybutt
08-30-2005, 10:49 PM
Hello…I am still here, been reading but not posting….just haven’t felt like I had that much to add to anything. Went to visit some relative and had a good time, then came back and started back to work for the school year…..school started here last week, today was the 4th day, and all I hear is the catastrophes and problems, everyone wants me there RIGHT NOW! And I am feeling torn to pieces and ineffective at my job……I want to just scream at them all….. “IT HAS ONLY BEEN 4 DAYS!!!!” These kids have been away from school and routines for nearly 3 months and you can’t expect them to just be ready to go right away! I work with middle and high school teachers who teach students with severe disabilities……it takes awhile for them all to get back into the swing of things! Anyway…..it will get better, it always does, but this year I was hoping for a smoother start!

As far as ME! Doing fine….TRYING to get to exercise…..either the Y or just a nice long walk outside, but if I don’t get it done right after work, it gets put aside…..I need to try for at least 3 times during the week and then the weekends. Eating has been great too….still the scale does not move….so I am not feeling as motivated as I have been, but not giving up either….just staying the course because right now that is easy and I don’t need anymore stress…..so it goes……

I will try to post from time to time!
Lilybutt

SheriaVa
08-31-2005, 07:50 AM
G'day all! I'm happy to be back in the swing of exercising again after a week of no exercise. I've exercised 4 days in a row now. Yay!

corningkat
08-31-2005, 06:59 PM
hey singles! another boring rainy day here! i am feeling a little better today.

lilybutt - glad to hear your still hangin' in there. things at school will get better, just give it time. think of exercise as your destressor. when i have a bad day i take the girls(dogs) and go for a long walk to calm down and then i feel better.

sheri -glad you are getting back to normal. i finished the book and it was ok. i wouldn't recommend you spend the $ on it. i didn't learn anything from it. it was like someone was writing scenes from my own life.

well, off to do some surfing. have a good thursday!
kathy

megsa
09-01-2005, 04:37 AM
Hello all,

I've actually HAD work at work, so haven't had as much time on the net as usual! Always a shock when they expect you to actually DO something to earn your money!! I spent the weekend with friends and ate and drank way too much, but it was a much needed break from my mom. She has sold our house, so now she has many new things to stress about. She is a person who will go and find something to worry about if there isn't something obvious! On top of that, all her friends are worried about me having to find my own place!! As if I've never before been away from home, or lived on my own!! (Have managed very well for the past 14 years!!!)
Even with all of that, I'm managing to stick to my new plan, although the strength moves are really tough and I'm still stiff from my Sunday session! Much better today, but have more of the same tonight. Hoping that some time on the bike will help the very stiff hips! Being stiff and sore from the exercise makes my knees and hips creak and crack even more than usual.
Our weather is really coming round to summer, but Sunday was weird and cold. Quite possibly we're still in for one last cold spell before the heat really sets in. I can't wait!!!

Must go and finish some drawings before my engineer gets back and he will be VERY stressed and he passes it on to me by osmosis! At least if I've done these 3 plans, he'll be slightly more up to date.

Have a nice day everyone.

Meg

lilybutt
09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Hello all,

Well the long weekend is over and for some reason I am kind of depressed about it…..I guess it is back to work tomorrow and no real break no until Thanksgiving. I get this way every year…I will go to work tomorrow and get busy and be ready to go again!

Didn’t do tooooooo bad this weekend, didn’t count calories like I do every other day, but I was pretty good, just watched it and didn’t stress…..so on to a new goal!!!!

Better get ready for work!
Lilybutt

FatVictoria
09-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Are you all singles? Awesome! I'm 34 and still single, but I am a single mom to two children of the four-legged furry kind. ;) Gotta use my mothering instinct somewhere!

I'm counting calories over the weekend. I worked Sunday and today (Monday) and am doing okay on my diet. :D Today I slept in. It was my day for my bi-monthly mail run into San Francisco, but the post office was closed due to the holiday so I'll go tomorrow.:crazy:

SheriaVa
09-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Hey everyone! I've been in Philadelphia, PA over the Labor Day weekend and just thought I'd pop in and say hello. Considering that I was staying in a hotel and eating out the whole weekend, I think I did pretty well on choices. I also walked EVERYWHERE so that helped a lot in giving me a bit of wiggle room in my eating. Hope everyone is doing well!

corningkat
09-08-2005, 09:06 PM
hi singles! welcome victoria! i too am the single mother of 2 furry daughters i refer to as "the girls"!! glad to have you join us!

i was having problems again getting to this site???i don't know what is going on. not much happenin' here, had a quiet long weekend myself up to the lake trying to resolve some friends' relationship problems. drank quite a bit of wine.

i guess "they" say that the tuesday after labor day is the second time of the year that people make resolutions to change things. personally, i'm still struggling with the same things. lol!!

well, have a good weekend!
kathy

FatVictoria
09-08-2005, 09:18 PM
hi singles! welcome victoria! i too am the single mother of 2 furry daughters i refer to as "the girls"!! glad to have you join us!

i was having problems again getting to this site???i don't know what is going on. not much happenin' here, had a quiet long weekend myself up to the lake trying to resolve some friends' relationship problems. drank quite a bit of wine.

i guess "they" say that the tuesday after labor day is the second time of the year that people make resolutions to change things. personally, i'm still struggling with the same things. lol!!

well, have a good weekend!
kathy

I also have daughters...both of them. They are felines and are different as night and day. Xena I got from the shelter as a 6-week-old kitten and is well socialized. Abby I found on the street with kittens and I couldn't leave them out there. I eventually gave the kittens away, but I still have the feral mom on my hands. She's a real sweetheart and understands how lucky she is, but she's so skittish.

Wine is my passion, too. I couldn't even give it up during the Induction phase of my program like I was supposed to! But since I have to count the calories I try to keep intake down. Plus, when my body is burning alcohol, it's not burning fat.

My new start was September 1 after a horrible, gaining August. I'm going to get through this month and then reevaluate where I am before setting any October goals. If I can just get through this month, that'll be a victory. Luckily, my girls don't care what weight I am. :)

:mcd: :eating2: :workout:

SheriaVa
09-14-2005, 02:43 PM
Anyone still awake or alive around here?

megsa
09-15-2005, 04:34 AM
Hello All,

My excuse is that I've actually HAD work and have HAD to do it. Quite a shock to have to work during office hours and not just sit around surfing the Net or reading!! I do suppose that this is why I get paid, so I just have to grin and bear it!

I've actually managed to lose some weight last week - it's really amazing what sticking to your diet/eating plan can accomplish!!!! All my pants are starting to get too big in the waist and I have to pin them. It's either that, or wear long shirts so that I don't show my panties to all the Engineers here! One told me last week that I should get a really small, really short company t-shirt that shows off the belly ring and tell the boss I'm doing marketing!!lol Given the present amount of flab, it's quite a scary thought!

Anyway, let me go and finish the drainage at the new hospital and then I can surf some more.

Meg

corningkat
09-17-2005, 05:01 PM
i am still alive, thank God! awake, however is another story. i do seem to be sleeping a lot again though. sorry for the long absence! i will try to be better.

last week at my tops meeting i hit my highest weight ever and that sent my into a serious blues mode. however, this week i have bucked down and am doing better. i know i have lost and i have walked 3x this week. i know 3x isn't a lot but it is a start. i didn't go today because of the weather. i was bouncing on my mini tramp for a few minutes. i think that is something i have to get used too because it makes me dizzy.

meg - congrats on the loss! i'm sure the male engineers don't mind seeing a little pantie! lol!!! what is it you do for a living??? sounds interesting...

victoria - wine is absolutely wonderful. i live right in the heart of the finger lakes wine country and i love to go wine tasting. i don't do it often, because i could get carried away. my fave right now is Hazlitt's Red Cat. yummy! my girls are pooches, molly and missa, i might be acquiring a couple of kitties soon. not sure yet. my friends are splitting and trying to decide what to do with the animals. maybe a rottie too... i live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbors and 6 acres for them to run on. i hate to see them go to strangers or worse and me with my big heart said i would help out.

sheri - how goes it with you??anything new and exciting??/

i am working this weekend so i am taking it easy. i will stop back tomorrow to check in. have a good sat. nite!
kathy

tryinghard2lose
09-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Got room for one more???

Hi there,

I used to post a long, long, long, long time ago. When I re-registered, it said it had been over a year since my last post. YIKES

A bit about myself. My name is Leanne, I live in Tennessee. I have 2 cats, and am single. I have tried Atkins (but I don't care too much for meat) and Weight Watchers (the far more successful of the two) I weight well over 200 pounds and need to lose weight. I am as fat now as I have ever been in my life.

Right now I am sitting here, feeling depressed and eating a peanut butter sandwich. Okay, it has jelly, too. So, you can probably guess I need some serious motivation.

I would really like to make a commitment to myself...again. I don't want to do it to get a man (puhleeze) but I am sure sick and tired of not being able to stand up from a chair without making grunting. Also, I ain't as young as I used to be and I am seriously worried I may be on the brink of some serious health problems.

So, that's me in a nutshell (cuz I'm a nut)

I hope you'll accept me for who I am.

Night,

LA

lilybutt
09-18-2005, 05:38 PM
I am around too! Just haven't felt like posting. My diet has been in the tubes...just unmotivated....and I have been stressed with work and home stuff...nothing bad....just things all seemed to come to a head and I had to focus on getting things done and under control to the detriment of my diet and exercise....but it looks like the worse has passed for now so I am back on the wagon.....I guess I know that I should be in better control in times of stress, but I do what I need to do to get through it. sometimes stress makes me not eat, sometimes it makes me eat, and i just have learned that I need to go with it...it will pass.....I was not totally out of control, just not on my program......so back at it!!!!

Lilybutt

corningkat
09-18-2005, 06:11 PM
hey singles! i said i would check in and here i am. just woke up from a nap. i had to work all weekend, suck up that OT because i am broke.

welcome back Leanne! you sound a lot like me. i will be 40 in a few weeks and i am worried about health issues too, but yet i really struggle with my weight. i am an emotional eater. ususally out of boredom or lonliness. i know the cause, now i have to do something about it. easier said than done sometimes.

hi lilybutt! glad to hear from you too. funny what stress can do to a person!

did anyone watch the "biggest loser" this week?? i watched it last nite. i think it's interesting to watch. i couldn't believe what those people lost in their 1st week. of course, if i could put my life on hold and just concentrate on losing weight i could probably do the same. that's what i need, something like a boot camp getaway from life..lol!!!

well, i'm off to make dinner and to watch the end of the football game, then the emmys. have a great week!
kathy

SheriaVa
09-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Leanne, welcome back!!!

Kathy, congrats on the walking! Good job and keep it up!

Hello all! Sounds like a lot of folks in struggle territory. Hang in there!!

Nothing too exciting here...just continuing to do that thing I do...which is to eat healthy and exercise 5 days a week and lose NO weight. Usually, when one does something right, one gets some sort of payoff. It is frustrating to not have lost weight in a year...other than that lovely pound down, pound up dance that I do so well. When I get like this...where I want to throw something and scream "It's not FAIR!!!!!", I remind myself that the alternative to maintaining a 30-pound weight loss is gaining back the 30 pounds...when I look at it that way, I feel so blessed and thankful.

I've found that's the secret of this lifestyle, kids. Sometimes, you have to find the silver lining in something that otherwise feels pretty sucky. It's all about the long haul...cuz we can all push ourselves hard enough for a week or a month to make the scale go down, but what matters is finding a way to keep it going in a way that we can live with for a lifetime.

Please don't do what I did...wait until turning 50 before getting serious about making a lifelong change instead of just dropping temporary pounds and gaining them back, which is what I'd been doing for a lifetime.

Hugs and prayers to all of us for the strength and grace to give ourselves the gift of health.

P.S. Yes, I did watch Biggest Loser II. That one dude who looks like a giant Commander Riker from Star Trek: TNG is already getting on my last nerve. I love some things about this show but hate that they show people losing 22 pounds in 10 days like that is something the average person can achieve (or should try to achieve). Those people chowed down like it was their last meal on Earth before the first weigh-in...of course, their weight loss is going to be dramatic. They need to say, even if it's on the way out to commercial, that 2 pounds a week is considered healthy weight loss. 22 pounds a week is NOT considered healthy weight loss.

megsa
09-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Hello ladies,

Glad to hear that you are all still well. My weekend was ok, but my eating was just waaaay out of control. Better today thought - always easier when you are in routine. My really good news is that I finished my one month Self mag programme and although I only lost 1,5 lbs, I lost 2in from my hips and 1in from my waist!!!! Will taking it a bit easy this week as summer has arrived here with a big bang and the temps are already creeping up to 30deg C and it's a bit of a shock to the system. I found that I couldn't do much last week as a result! :( Will be pushing the cycling this week and then start weights again next week.

corningkat - I'm a draughtsman working for consulting engineers (electrical and mechanical) and I also do typing and answering the phone. Friday was rough as we had a tender doc to go out and then discovered that the plans were not right - panic stations!! We managed to get the docs out in the end though.

Sheriava - nothing sucks as much as watching your eating and exercising and then seeing no results on the scale. I've noticed that if I change my cardio for a week or so then I lose weight. I'm 32 and have decided that as my knees are already a lost cause and my other joints are going the same way, I'd best do something NOW!!

Almost home time.

Have a nice day y'all

corningkat
09-21-2005, 08:38 PM
hi singles! my week is going ok so far. got a good walk in today. i lost a whopping .2 of a lb at my tops meeting, but i guess that's better than none right??lol!!

sheri - 30 lbs is a great accomplishment to be proud of and a good inspiration to all of us. the question is how do you break that plateau?? a small change to your eating style or maybe something different that your regular routine?? i am no expert or have any experience in that dept. for that matter, but those are the things that i read about people doing to break those plateaus.
as far as the BL2 show goes.. i noticed this week the women only lost an average of 2lbs and they were so hard on themselves. that is good in my book. but like you said it has to be dramatic, it is a tv realty show. that last meal was pretty hideous. i thought the one woman ??? that got voted off this week was pretty rude with her departing statement and i think the other women thought so too.

meg - sounds like an interesting life. we have deadlines too and we always seem to pull it off at the end also. quite a weather difference..where is this place near? i don't recognize the name. congrats on your inches lost!!! i know what self magazine program your referring too. i thought about trying it but never did. how do you like it??

well, getting late. so i'm off to bed. nite everyone!
kathy

megsa
09-22-2005, 04:22 AM
Hello ladies,

My engineer didn't do all that he promised last night, so I've done all I can for the morning until he gets back from his meeting, after which I'll be hitting the keyboard hard again. Kathy, I live in (very) sunny South Africa. My town isn't too far from Johannesburg or Joburg as we call it here. I lived in London for 5 years and have been back here nearly 2. Last year I went back to study for a few months and I've now been in this job for 6 months. As for the Self programme... I did the 'tone your muscles' one and found it hard, but rewarding. I didn't lose too much weight, but that's mainly as I didn't push hard enough and didn't stick to diet rigidly either. I'm going to be going for it again from Monday, so feel free to join me. This week I've just taken it easy as it was TOM and I was just generally bushed.

I would love to hear about all your jobs as well?

Meg

SheriaVa
09-22-2005, 08:19 AM
Hey ladies! Hope everyone is having a good week.

I work for the U.S. Federal Government as a Regulatory Affairs manager. Basically, almost all Federal programs have to have regulations written about them to document how they are to be administered. For example, regulations about the school lunch program may talk about what the rules are for someone qualifying for a free school lunch or what a school lunch must consist of. So my staff and I read every regulation that is written in my agency to administer our programs (child & adult feeing programs mostly). That part of my job is more like a technical editor. Then there are many other parts of my job as well, but all are related to regulations.

Good job on the loss, Kath! And yes, .2 is still a loss and still something to be celebrated! Especially for me...I have never been a person who loses 3 or 4 pounds in a week. Even when I am losing, it's a 1/2 pound or maybe a pound a week. So I have learned to be happy with small victories! :)

corningkat
09-25-2005, 09:59 AM
good sunday morning singles! i was suppose to work today again, but it was cancelled because of equipment failure. my job is boring and monotonous factory work. we make circuit breakers. i do however get paid very well for what i do and with no degree i certainly can't complain.

my eating has been atrocious this week, i think due to pms. i'm not expecting any loss at tomorrow's meeting. next saturday is our local tops rally day. i am going and hope to get some wonderfull motivation and inspiration out of it. it is a fun day and i will meet lots of new people. i am looking forward to it. in the meantime i have to come up with nametags with a honeycomb theme. any ideas?????

meg - it sounds like you have an interesting life. my biggest move was from connecticut to new york. whoopeee!! someday i would like to take a trip abroad somewhere. there is so much out there to see. when i took my vacation this past summer to NYC, i thought that was so magical. i was born in nyc but i haven't been there since i was a kid, so i think seeing it as an adult made a huge difference.

sheri - small victories are great. i just wish i'd have more of them faster. LOL!
how is your plateau and exercising going??

well, have a peaceful sunday!
kathy

lilybutt
09-25-2005, 10:02 AM
Hello to all,

Well I know I have been MIA lately….I have been MIA from my own life lately as well  Not really sure what I am going through…but haven’t weighted myself, haven’t exercised, haven’t really dieted…..just haven’t done anything….not really feeling depressed, maybe overly stressed to some degree, with work stuff. My personal life is going great….so just not sure….maybe just a fall funk.

I think about exercising…then don’t, now this weekend I stubbed my toe very badly and shoes are not an option right now….so no walking or bicycling. Thought about swimming laps, one of my favorite exercises, but having lasik surgery again next week, and I know I won’t be able to swim for a few weeks after that…so I figure why??? I can be so good at justification!

Dieting…..just burned out on counting calories and monitoring everything I eat….just tired of it…so trying to eat the same things and keep a mental list…..I know that is not a good idea, but it is the best I can do for now!

I don’t know…just can’t shake this….but it will go away, it usually does, I just need to ride it out and try not to do too much damage in the meantime! Thanks for listening!
Lilybutt

corningkat
09-25-2005, 06:19 PM
hi singles! back again, just thought i'd tell a funny story about how i got plenty of exercise today and boy do i feel it. when i was posting earlier today, i kept hearing this very low toned "boom" and then my house would shake slightly. well, after a few minutes i figured out that it was the energy company that was doing some seismic testing up top of the hill. well, they are not very welcome around here by 75% of the people. there is a big issue about this company coming in and drilling for natural gas in this area. the people that let them on their land don't live in the area so they don't care. they only see $$$$$. anyways, i decided i was going to go up on the hill in my new 4x4 truck to tell them they were shaking my house. well, big bad me got stuck. LOL!!! so my exercise was to walk a couple miles thru the woods with my dogs back to my house to get some help. my neighbor thought it was very funny, but my thigh muscles are not.

lilybutt - i have been in a funk for about a year now. it is not a fun place to be. i too am just trying not to do too much damage. it is a good philosophy. we are happy to listen. please keep coming, even if it is just to vent. maybe we can make a challenge for this thread. btw, good luck with your lasik!

i am proposing a halloween challenge for this thread....exercise 3x per week until halloween. anyone up for it???? i know it's a small challenge but it may be what lilybutt and i need to get going. do whatever you want be it a simple walk (my goal) or your usual type of exercise.

i guess if i can trek thru the woods, i can walk 3x with no fear of animals on my road. lol!!!

have a good week!
kathy

KeverDVM
09-25-2005, 07:37 PM
Hello, just started a month and a half ago so far have lost 14 pounds. I was on weight watchers a year ago and had lost 100 pounds but I got depressed and quit and gaind it all back now I am back to get down to business!

Lovelilacs32
09-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Hi everyone! My name is Samantha. I am 31 and have been overweight since Junior High. I am so serious about losing the weight now. The thing is I want to lose it on my own. Can it be done? Any advice would be helpful. I am looking forward to talking to you all and being there for all of you!

Samantha :dizzy:

SheriaVa
09-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Welcome Kever and Samantha!! Great to see new faces here.

I am so serious about losing the weight now. The thing is I want to lose it on my own. Can it be done?

Yes, absolutely, it CAN be done! I'm living proof. Granted, I did not lose QUICKLY, and I'm still not down to goal, but I did lose 35 pounds as of last July and I've been maintaining 30 pounds of that loss for over a year. I did it on my own (I did attend some Weight Watchers @ Work classes when I first started, but I actually lost more weight before I joined and after I quit than while I was attending meetings!).

I won't kid you...it ain't easy!! But if, as you say, you are "so serious about losing the weight now", then you can do it. My best advice is to focus on baby steps to get you from where you are now to where you want & need to be. For example, if you drinking 4 sodas a day right now, then commit to drinking ONE less soda tomorrow and replacing it with water. If you are eating fast food (or any really fatty food, esp. eating out) 5 times a week, then commit to eating out only 3 or 4 times next week. If you aren't eating any/many veggies now, commit to eating at least one serving of veggies every day. Don't try to do ALL of this at once...just a baby step at a time. Get yourself a cheap spiral notebook and make a plan to step yourself to health. For example: Week of 9/26--one less soda per day replaced by water. Week of 10/3--Eat out/fast food no more than 3 times this week. Week of 10/10--Eat at least 1 serving of veggies every day this week.

You'll also need to add the exercise component. If you aren't exercising at all right now, then try exercising one day a week. Depending on what kind of exercise you enjoy or have access to, I'd suggest working up to 3 to 5 days of exercise per week. At least some of that should be cardio, but don't make the mistake of going all cardio and ignoring toning & weight training. Muscle burns fat, so you WANT to build muscle, even if it temporarily means you might add a little weight vs. losing a little.

Other baby steps I suggest:
1. Switch from white (bread, tortillas, rice, pasta) to whole wheat/grain.
2. Eat at least 1 piece of fruit a day--work up to 2 pieces a day (vary your fruits so you're not eating mostly real sugary fruits like grapes and bananas).
3. Switch to low/nonfat dairy. If you're currently drinking whole milk, step down to 2% first, but eventually shoot for skim or 1%. If you're currently eating full-fat yogurt, step down to lowfat and then fat free. Switch from full-fat cheese to low-fat.
4. Grocery shop once a week or more so you have fresh produce.
5. Plan what you're going to eat for the coming week. When you go to the store, make sure you have everything you need to make those things.
6. Clean up your environment. If you live alone, or with a roomie/partner who is willing to support you or join you in your healthy lifestyle, trash all the junk. Replace it with healthy snacks. If you live with family/roomies/partner who will not support cleaning out the junk, ask them to keep their junk up in the highest cupboard, so it is not in front of your face. Esp. for those of you who are having trouble with emotional eating/binging...cleaning up your environment will help IMMENSELY because, when you get stressed out or upset, there won't be anything too awful to turn to in your home. There are, believe it or not, some pretty yummy snacks that are lowfat.
7. Everything in moderation. Trust me on this. I dieted for DECADES until I finally "got" that this needs to be a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet. Unless you are some sort of robot, you aren't going to be able to just give up everything you love for the rest of your life. You can still have french fries, pizza, chocolate cake, etc...you just can't have it all the time and you can't eat a large quantity of it...but you have to find a way to safely work it into your life so that you can enjoy it but not abuse it.

Well, that's enough yakking for now...let me know if you have any questions. Hope it helps.

corningkat
09-27-2005, 07:33 PM
hi singles! welcome kever and samantha! glad you could join us. listen to sheri, she has lots of wisdom!!! everything she said is right on the nose! now if only i could follow it all..... :)

i am really giving it an effort. today i finally tried out my urban rebounder. i only had it almost a year. it was actually fun. i am starting out slow because i am so out of shape. i did the beginner routine then the stretching routine. i actually feel really good right now. i bet i sleep good tonite!

have a good wednesday!
kathy

lilybutt
09-27-2005, 09:18 PM
Hello all….

Well thanks fro the support the past few days…….I really needed it!

I had the LASIK surgery today, :sunny: it was actually an “enhancement”….I had it over a year ago and just had both eyes redone to make it even better. I still had glasses for distance vision, but at least they were not the thick coke bottle bottoms I had before! I actually didn’t mind wearing them at all and would have lived like that but the Dr. was confident that it could be better. I started out with 20/400 vision a year ago, and went to 20/40…..hope this is even better. I can tell already I can see better. I do have a headache though. One more valium to take tonight to go to sleep…and then a check on my eyes tomorrow. I took tomorrow off too, to recover. I will need to rest my eyes more. :tired:

Okay now one to the diet….I have been better, just eating when hungry, not just to eat, and trying to eat better foods. I feel a little less stressed not counting every calorie…it was making me nuts…..still haven’t exercised, but will start back at the end of the week. I also haven’t weighed myself….that makes me nut to know I am doing everything right and the scale never moves….GRRRRRRRRRRRRR…..I will do that when I am ready! :goodscale Okay that is where I am now…..I will try to post often!
Lilybutt

SheriaVa
09-28-2005, 12:58 PM
hi singles! welcome kever and samantha! glad you could join us. listen to sheri, she has lots of wisdom!!! everything she said is right on the nose! now if only i could follow it all..... :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Kath! :)

SheriaVa
09-28-2005, 01:01 PM
I had the LASIK surgery today, :sunny: it was actually an “enhancement”….I had it over a year ago and just had both eyes redone to make it even better

I would love to have LASIK done but I am REALLY concerned about how many times I hear about people having "halos" afterwards, where you see a ring of light around street lights, light bulbs, etc. I think that would drive me insane on an ongoing basis. I'm also concerned because I heard it doesn't last and you need to have it redone every 5 years or so. If you don't mind me asking, did it cost as much for the "enhancement" as for the original procedure?

lilybutt
09-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Actually the cost of the enhancement was 200 per eye....just to pay for the meds and the "laser time"....the original cost was 3000 bucks.....I have no problems with halos.....well actually the only time I see them is when I go to bed, turn off the lights and close my eyes....otherwise, not for night driving, which they say is the problem....I wore hard contact lens for 20 year prior to getting the original surgery so I had WAY more problems with them then I do with the LASIK. I love it and would have been happy the way it was....but it is definitely better! Since I am over 40….I had “monovision”. This is where one eye is for reading and one eye is for distance……sounds weird but it works….so I won’t need it done again, but still may need glasses for reading….they say there is not doing anything for aging! I have not heard of anyone having to have to get it redone…so not sure….but it was well worth it to me!
Lilybutt

corningkat
09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
hi singles! i hope everyone is having a good week! mine is going ok so far. i've only got that one exercise session in and a little bit of walking.

lilybutt - i thought about lasik too but i just can't afford it right now. i have a stigmatism so it would cost more than usual and my insurance doesn't cover it yet. maybe in a few years....right now i am happy with my new contacts and glasses. i am with you on the calorie counting thing. i get so tired of counting calories or points. it's a nuisance.

sheri - you're welcome for the vote! :) how's things gong with you??? good, i hope.

well, i'm going to do some surfing. i probably won't get back till sunday, so have a good weekend!
kathy

SheriaVa
09-30-2005, 08:53 AM
I feel a little less stressed not counting every calorie…it was making me nuts…

Ditto that for me. I only counted calories for the first 2 months back in 2003 when I first started eating healthy. It just makes me crazy and I can't handle it. I do believe that it was necessary for me to count calories for a few months to get a grasp on the caloric value of the foods I was eating. I used www.fitday.com and strongly recommend it for those of you who would like to keep a log of your weight loss, your calories, your exercise, etc. It's free and it takes some getting used to, but it's a GREAT website.

that makes me nut to know I am doing everything right and the scale never moves….GRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Welcome to my world, Lily! LOL Yes, it IS frustrating!

Hope you all have a great weekend...supposed to be great weather, in my area anyway. Hope you have some great weather too! Get out there and walk or hike or bike or something! :)

corningkat
10-02-2005, 11:04 AM
happy sunday singles! it is a beautiful day here. i've been sitting on my deck reading most of the morning. it has been very cold here the past week so a warm morning was very welcome.

i went to my tops rally day yesterday and had a good day. it really is a fun day and inspirational. they give a lot of recognition and rewards to people who have struggled to lose weight and succeeded. and i also got to meet other people who feel the same as i do in my local area. one of my own group members convinced me to join a local exercise club with her. if 2 people join together it is a cheaper rate, so now i am committed. this club is just like a curves, only under a name called "Compliments".

well, i've got to scoot. i am going to the pumpkin farm today. it is also lots of fun. have a nice sunday!
kathy

SheriaVa
10-02-2005, 06:42 PM
one of my own group members convinced me to join a local exercise club with her. if 2 people join together it is a cheaper rate, so now i am committed.

Sounds like you had a good time at your rally. It's always marvelous just to be able to talk to other people who understand what we're going through! I hope the new exercise club, and having someone to work out with, works well for you, Kath! I know some folks say they have a really hard time working out on their own and that, if they can't find a workout partner (or a reliable one) they will struggle with staying consistent in their workouts. Since I am more of a solitary person, I have no trouble working out alone. The secret is finding whatever works (food and exercise wise) for each of us and then creating our own plan that WE can stick with!

corningkat
10-05-2005, 05:32 PM
how's the singles club doing??? very slow week. i am very tired as i have a sinus infection. i am being treated for it so i hope it goes away in a few days.

sheri - after i had posted on sunday, i got good news. my mom called to say she bought me a new treadmill for my 40th b-day. she wanted to buy something big for a big bday. i was soo happy. my mom is good to me and i appreciate all she does. i just went to pick it up today. i think i am going to back out of the club, because i don't want to waste $ when i have what i want at home now. when i had a treadmill before, i lived on it. i like to hop on and crank the stereo. it also relaxes me, believe it or not.

well, i am very tired and i have a big day tomorrow, so i'm off to sleep.
have a good thursday!
kathy

SheriaVa
10-06-2005, 08:06 AM
sheri - after i had posted on sunday, i got good news. my mom called to say she bought me a new treadmill for my 40th b-day. she wanted to buy something big for a big bday. i was soo happy.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!! That's awesome! I would LOVE to have a treadmill in my place. I can afford to buy one, but my problem is space as I live in a one-bedroom apartment and even the fold-up treadmills would just take up too much space--at least with the furniture I have now. It is my hope to move out of here some day and have a place that's at least a BIT bigger so that I can have a place for workout equipment. Right now my mat, balance ball, aerobic step and weights live in the corner of my livingroom.

i think i am going to back out of the club, because i don't want to waste $ when i have what i want at home now.

Heck, I can understand that. If you've had a treadmill before and you know you'll use it, then a treadmill at home beats paying for a club. The problem for some folks is that they won't use the treadmill but it doesn't sound like that's going to be an issue for you. I'd love to be able to watch TV while I walk! :)

megsa
10-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Hello ladies,

I've had two days with lots of work and two with almost nothing! I really do prefer to have work! Of course, yesterday the Boss says that he sees that I'm helping Joggie (pet engineer) so much and I'm doing so well etc etc ... and half an hour later, I'm sitting surfing the net with no work!! Happens every time!

Kathy - getting the treadmil is Great! I've got my stationary bike and that's in a corner of the lounge in front of the tv. I haven't done too much this week as my tummy was a bit upset yesterday, so will give myself til sunday to chill and then start afresh next week.

The weather here is nuts! Huge amounts of veldfires all over the country due to excessive winds and very high temps and today is COLD! Snow on the mountains and winds blowing off that! The temp this am was 8deg colder than yesterday! Now we just pray for rain as it's really dry now.

My mom has sold our house (where I'm sadly still living at the moment) and it looks like transfer will go through end Nov-ish, so it's back to flat hunting. Not that I mind at all!! I really miss having my own place and can't wait to do it again. It does look like we'll still be together for a while, as she has to wait for a flat to come free at the Retirement complex where she wants to go. I just hope that it's not longer than six months or I'll be slitting my wrists!!! Now it's just to get my drivers' lisence and then I'm all set. Have been driving my little red peril a bit and getting used to other cars on the road.

Anyway, enough babbling and I'm now going to carry on with my book!

Meg

corningkat
10-09-2005, 11:36 AM
hi singles! the weather is yucky here this weekend so i think today is just goint to be a relaxing day. i had a small party here last nite for birtdays and i have to clean the mess. it's not too bad so it won't take long.

sheri - after the party, a couple of male friends set up my treadmill for me so i am good to go. we tried it out a little last nite and i love it. it has all the bells and whistles too. i tape my soap every day so i like to walk while i watch that. i can fast forward thru the commercials so that gives me about 40 minutes walking time. i think it goes by faster because my mind is doing something else than my feet are doing. :)

megsa - have you lived where you are long?? i guess i got the idea that you were like on a special job assignment. i didn't realize your mom was there also. i would be happy if my mom would come back to new york with me. i don't like us living so far apart now that my dad is gone. out weather has been goofy too. it was in the 80's this past week and this coming week they are saying 40's to low 50's. what a big difference. usually the trees are at their peak color this time and they are just starting. i love to watch the colors change. it is my favorite time of the year. good luck with getting some rain!!!

well, i'm off to do some more cleaning. have a great week!
kathy

FL_Chickie
10-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Hi ladies! I hope you don't mind me joining, I'm a single (well, divorced, so single-again) 32-year old trying to lose weight too. :)

I live in sunny FL (FL-Chickie, hehe) and am really liking this web community so far.

Claire de Ravin
10-09-2005, 07:25 PM
Hi, I am just joining...I am most definitely single (I am 14!) xD Anyway, hi, I am Arzu, and I like Lost. You'll be my best friend if you know what my username means. If not, well, I don't hate you, we can still be friends! :lol:

I have officially lost 5 pounds since the end of August. I know 5 pounds in a month isn't that much, but it is to me! I am so happy!

Only 10 to go, maybe 5, I just want to get rid of bellyt fat. When it's fat, I am going to stop losing and start maintaining. So it's a grey area.

I go on the treadmill too! I am going on in maybe 30 minutes (need to digest food). I do 40 minutes a day, no more, no less. I would do more, but I am a Muslim and fasting and I will pass out. Even though I do it after I break my fast.

Anyway, I also do the exercise ball...Gunner Peterson (he's the celeb trainer...just found that out recently) and Brooke Burke do it. They get annoying after a while but I do like my firmer body (it works).

Um, okay, that's all I guess. See you later hopefully, if I don't get crushed by homework tomorrow.

megsa
10-11-2005, 09:29 AM
Hello Ladies,

Work has been few and far between these last few days and with only very little today, I'm trying to spin it out! Our Secretary/receptionist has quit, so may have a bit more work until we find someone to fill the post. Have offered to do her work for half her salary extra! Don't think the boss will fall for it! Started new program on Sunday and now my '*** is stiff'! Not fun trying to get out of chair after sitting for an hour!! The cardio portion of this plan is quite strenous and also for 6 days a week, but I'm just aiming for 5. Did 15,5km last night and slept like a baby.

Kathy - I'm once again living at home which is the same house as the last 32,5 years, but soon to be sold. Quite a shock to be living with mom after nearly 15 years of being away. Is much better now that I'm working though. The office is about 35km (22mi) from home and takes about 35min. We're hoping to be moving closer to here and that should halve the dist.

Okay, my cellphone shop is calling my name so let me go and finish the job today still. Have a wonderful day everyone!

Meg

corningkat
10-12-2005, 08:52 PM
hi singles! welcome arzu and fl chickie!

arzu - we are glad to have you no matter what your age. i'm sorry i don't know what your username is but i would like to know.... congrats on your 5lbs lost. that is a great accomplishment!

fl chickie - glad to have you also. my mom lives in apollo beach just below tampa. anywhere near you?? i am usually down there for the holidays. this is a really good website. it is very informative. i post here and do a lot of surfing around the rest of it. :)

megsa - good luck with your new program! and don't overwork yourself.

i just finished up with my 2nd nite on the treadmill. believe it or not, i feel better already. it is nice to be moving again. i guess i really did miss my sessions. i'm also trying a new evening routine. before i wouldn't have dinner till 7/8 pm and then i'd be ravenous and not care what went in the ol' piehole. now i am having dinner around 4/5pm, then resting my feet a bit, and hitting the treadmill around 6pm or so. after working out i don't seem to be hungry so it keeps me from that emotional nite eating. yippee!!! well, i don't want to bore you all too much with my rantings..

sheri - how are you doing???

have a good thursday!
kathy

SheriaVa
10-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Hey kids! I've been out of town for my annual birthday vacation and just returned home today, so that's why I haven't been around. It was a crappy vacation in that I never saw the sun the whole time and it never stopped raining and blowing like crazy. Ick. But I visited my best friends and my favorite pooch, Paco, in Delaware so that is always a joy.

Welcome to the newbies--FL chickie and Arzu. Lovely to have you with us!

Arzu--I do believe that Claire de Ravin is either the name of the character Claire on Lost or the actress who plays her...or both. I am a fan of Lost too but didn't get to see it last night cuz I was staying with friends in Delaware and they insisted on watching bad movies on DVD (they're not Lost fans). So I'm so sad to have missed it! I just called a coworker who is a big Lost fan and she missed it to. WHAAA!!!!

corningkat
10-16-2005, 06:40 PM
hey singles! another weekend gone again, so goes it. i had to work all weekend so i didn't do anything too exciting. i am pooped today, i took a nap after work and now i'm just getting some laundry done. have to be done by the time "desperate housewives" comes on. yes, i am addicted to that one and of course all the "csi' shows.

welcome back sheri! sorry it was so yucky for you. i'm about tired of this rain myself. we had just a peek of sunshine yesterday and today it is back to rain and cold. i hope you had a nice birthday anyways. tell about your favorite pooch. i always like to hear about other doggies, then i can tell my girlies about other doggies in the world. :)

well, i have to flip the laundry. have a great week!
kathy

SheriaVa
10-16-2005, 08:37 PM
tell about your favorite pooch. i always like to hear about other doggies, then i can tell my girlies about other doggies in the world. :)

Paco is a Bichon Frise...in other words, a white fluffy fuzzball. :) He is 14 years old and had a stroke of sorts about a month ago so this was the first time I was seeing him since then. He is improving slowly but still walks into things when he first wakes up or when he gets too tired. I have known him since he was born and came to live with my friends in Delaware. I have come to care about him very deeply...as if he was my own doggie.

Here's a picture of he and I from my trip last week.
http://home.comcast.net/~sheriava/RehobothBday2005_009.jpg

Have any pix of your doggies? I'm a sucker for doggie pix. :)

corningkat
10-18-2005, 07:13 PM
hi singles! just finished a 45min session on the treadmill, now i'm officially pooped! :)

sheri - what a beautiful white frizzball! i'm sorry to hear about the stroke, but glad he is doing ok. i have tons of poochie pictures but i don't know how to post them. i'm not that computer smart. is it easy???

well, i really don't have much to report and tonite "the biggest loser" is on so i have to finish up chores. have a good wednesday!
kathy

SheriaVa
10-19-2005, 12:29 PM
i have tons of poochie pictures but i don't know how to post them. i'm not that computer smart. is it easy???

It's easy if you have your own website or you know of some site where you can post things. You have to be able to upload the pictures elsewhere and then link to them here. Most forum websites like this don't allow you to actually upload the pictures to their site cuz it eats up too much storage space. Waiiiiit a minute, here. I just noticed a button in the little row of menu icons above my post that's called "image." That would lead me to believe that I might be able to upload a picture right to this post. Lemme try it right now! :) Nope...doesn't seem to allow me to upload a pic. In fact, I'm not even sure what its purpose is! Hmm.

tonite "the biggest loser" is on so i have to finish up chores.

I started out really liking Matt because he seemed to be "getting it" on such a deep level but after last night, I'm kinda disgusted with him. I think he is TOO intensely competitive...like kinda insane about it. I am competitive...I think most people WANT to win, but it's all about how crazy you are willing to get or make yourself over winning and I think Matt is over the edge!

Not sure they made the right choice on voting out Jen...we'll see.

P.S. Where the heck IS everyone these days?????? :)

megsa
10-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Hello Singles,

I, sadly, have been working most days this week instead of just surfing, while trying to look busy. This afternoon almost nobody is in - they are all at meetings! It has been a good week work wise - I've been given a raise (but I do have to do the secretary's work from next month until we close in Dec!) Weight wise - mine is just going nowhere!! I've got TOM so that may also be a factor, but I never notice undue water weight or anything like that. I have been craving sweets and am busy working my way through some skittles now! I did have a very good session on the bike last night and cycled nearly 20km! Tonight is a slightly shorter session, but I plan to push it as well, as I might just not be doing it hard enough!

Otherwise, the sun is shining brightly here after a spectacular storm last night.

Meg

corningkat
10-20-2005, 07:48 PM
hi singles! another week almost over. i am signed up for the weekend OT again. my paycheck was nice today, i could get used to that too easily and burn myself out.

question.... most people say when you get into an exercise routine, they seem to have more energy??? i am not feeling that yet. i am sooo pooped when i'm done. i have been trying for every other day because my knee kills me the day after exercise. i am doing special excercises to build up the muscle, but until then i have to be careful. any insights.....

sheri - there is a thread on the main page for "the biggest loser". it is interesting reading everyone's opinions. also the trainer Jillian is posting over there under her book thread. i thought that was nice of her. from what i've been reading her book sounds good. (i am a sucker for buying these books.) i think matt is so competitive because he used to be an athlete. i think suzy should of went. she whines too much. i do hope they all do well, though. that is what they are there for.

well, late dinner tonite, some tv and then off to dreamland. have a great friday!
kathy

SheriaVa
10-21-2005, 08:51 AM
question.... most people say when you get into an exercise routine, they seem to have more energy??? i am not feeling that yet. i am sooo pooped when i'm done. i have been trying for every other day because my knee kills me the day after exercise. i am doing special excercises to build up the muscle, but until then i have to be careful. any insights.....

I can definitely see a difference in my energy level since I started working out regularly, especially when I started working out in the morning before work. My boss even noticed when I started working out in the morning--one day, I walked past his office on my way in and he said "What are you doing differently?" and I didn't know what he meant, and then I said "Well, I started exercising in the morning." He said "I KNEW something was different...I can see the bounce in your step as you go past my office now." :)

If you're expecting to have more energy right AFTER the workout, for me that depends on what kind of workout you're doing. I tend to feel energized after non-cardio exercise (yoga, pilates, balance ball, weight lifting) but more often "pooped" after heavy cardio exercise (powerwalking, jogging, elliptical, aerobics class, etc.).

Getting proper nutrition, and especially proper hydration and protein, is really important to your workouts. If you're pooped after exercise and you're also not seeing general energy gains in the rest of your day/week, you might want to look more closely at the nutrition/hydration angle.

sheri - there is a thread on the main page for "the biggest loser". it is interesting reading everyone's opinions. also the trainer Jillian is posting over there under her book thread. i thought that was nice of her.

Oh that's interesting, I'll have to check it out. I never look at the main page, I just use my subscriptions to come straight to this thread.

corningkat
10-23-2005, 08:10 PM
hi singles! i worked all weekend and accomplished absolutely nothing at home this weekend. i went shopping after work today for a couple of hours and when i got home i sat on the couch and next thing i knew it was 2 hours later. think i might have been tired....lol!!!

sheri - if anything i am over hydrated. i drink so much water i could float away. i always have been a big water drinker. i usually have energy for an hour or 2 after my workout. i've been working really hard on the sugar/carb thing this past week and i did well. this week will be harder due to TOM. i crave chocolate something terrible during that week. i am already ahead of the game. i made up some sugar free/fat free pudding to help that. i guess i just wish i could have more immediate results. i will keep plugging away. thanks for the advice!

welll, off to watch desperate housewives! have a good week!
kathy

corningkat
10-26-2005, 08:17 PM
hey singles! it's getting quiet here again. hellloooooo....is anyone out there?? :) just thought i'd check in and bring us back up to the top. not much going on really.

sheri - did you watch TBL last nite??? isn't amazing how good pete looks now...what an inspiration. i order jillian's book from amazon. (you already know what a sap i am for buying that stuff) i hope to have it by the weekend. i guess curiosity got me after reading all the good reviews.

have a great thursday! :carrot:
kathy

megsa
10-27-2005, 02:36 AM
Hello Ladies,

Everyone seems well. I'm having a very good week diet-wise, and have stuck to it so far! Have exercised as well, so lets hope that the scale shows something on Sunday! Our church is having a fete on Sat, so we'll be going to that (mainly to check out the book stall!). It has turned cold here again all of a sudden and is also overcast. Hope we get some rain!

I start my extra work next week and am almost looking forward to it! Can't wait til tomorrow to see how much extra money I'll be getting! Flat hunting starts in earnest now as the sale of the house is going through, eventually!

Not much else happening on this side of the world this week!

Meg

SheriaVa
10-27-2005, 09:26 AM
sheri - did you watch TBL last nite??? isn't amazing how good pete looks now...what an inspiration. i order jillian's book from amazon. (you already know what a sap i am for buying that stuff) i hope to have it by the weekend. i guess curiosity got me after reading all the good reviews.

Yea, I did...and I was so bummed that Pete got voted out. I would be curious to know the thought process the other people went through to make that decision. Was it because Pete usually has bigger losses than the Doctor so they saw him as a bigger threat? I dunno.

But yes, it is certainly amazing how good Pete looks now. I got choked up seeing him play basketball and coming into his house in his "goal suit" to surprise his wife. His goal suit was hanging off of him, which was so cool! I was just thrilled for him...what an inspiration, as you said.

I really go back and forth on Matt...some weeks I love him and some weeks I want to smack him silly. Dr. Jeff is a nice guy but doesn't really stand out to me. Mark I find annoying (esp. his nasty behavior toward the girls this week). Of the girls, I am sort of middle of the road about Andrea, sometimes I like Shannon and sometimes not and, while Suzy can be whiny and annoying sometimes, there's just something I really like about her.

Who is your fave?

corningkat
11-01-2005, 07:16 PM
hi singles! been busy but here i am...not much going on really. i've been really tired. all this OT is getting to me. i get this coming weekend to rest up. we can only work 3 weekends in a row, so that makes 26 days without a break..i guess i would be a little tired looking at it that way. i really need the cash so i am not complaining...just whining a little. ;)

i just got off the treadmill. i didn't do so good last week. TOM got me. i have to do good this week or my concious will nag me terribly.

sheri - i was a dissapointed about pete too. suzy does have a determination about her. i'm not sure about a favorite. i have to say mark is my least favorite. i don't like his derogatory remarks either. did you ever check out that thread on the main page.... i got jillian's book, but i have been to pooped to read more than a few pages.

meg - good luck with flat hunting! when you start your extra work, make sure to take care of yourself still. as i said above, it can burn you out if you're not carefull.

well, i'm off to watch TBL. have a good wednesday!
kathy

megsa
11-02-2005, 07:57 AM
Hello Ladies,

I'm nearly finished day 3 with the extra work and really glad. My eating is totally out of whack and all to do with the extra responsibilities, I think. I've decided to just relax and start again next week. I'll have settled down by then and be used to all the new things that need to be done. Needless to say, I spent most of yesterday looking for things that our ex-sec never told be about!! Today has been much calmer, but I have to keep cleaning up the desk as I don't have as much space here. It's also the reception area so I'm trying to keep it clean! Our driver keeps saying that it's a shock to see someone at the desk all the time!

All my work is now done and I'll now try and get hold of a flat. My mom is driving me nuts about it! She is a world class worrier, and as the house sale has gone through, she needs something else to fill in the vacuum and that is now getting a flat asap! I keep telling her that they come up later in the month as well, but she is quite comfortable in her hysteria and nothing will put her off! (I'm not really that nasty, just very sarcastic!) She is luckily used to my brother and I ripping her off about her worrying!

Hope you guys are enjoying your autumn out there. Summer is here in a big way with temps of over 32deg today, but very dry as the rains are really late.

Meg

corningkat
11-03-2005, 08:48 PM
hi singles! thank god tomorrow is friday! yahoooo!!! i ended up calling off yesterday because i was exhausted and my joints were stiff. no more working 3 weekends in a row for me. the $ is good but not worth my health. i am going to take at least every other sunday off.

meg - don't exhaust yourself like i did! i hope you find a flat soon. all moms are made to worry. it's their jobs no matter what your age is. :lol:

well, i'm off to get some sleep to get thru tomorrow. have a great friday!
kathy

redballoon
11-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Heh there. I used to post on here and was thinking of coming back. Not too much action though, recently, eh? I could use a singles place. Get kind of tired of the hubby, kiddie chat that fills the pages of other thread (not that there's anything wrong with that, just I can't identify with it and find it hard to respond to it.)

I see some of the old names here. You stuck with it all along, eh?
Well, just wondering if things do pick up here at times or if it's very quiet. No time to go back and find old threads....

Well, hope to hear from you. :wave:

SheriaVa
11-05-2005, 06:31 AM
I see some of the old names here. You stuck with it all along, eh? Well, just wondering if things do pick up here at times or if it's very quiet. No time to go back and find old threads....

Hi redballoon, good to see you again. Yes, it has been VERY quiet here recently. I have not been posting as much the past few months as I am so much busier at work, though I do check the board several times a week and try to post if I see someone else has posted.

I noticed this week that, after a year or more of being logged in here automatically when I come to this page from my favorites, I was asked to log in this week both from work and from home. This kept me from logging on all week at work because I didn't have my password written down there. I did have it at home, which is where I'm posting from today. That requirement to log in could be causing more people not to post if they are in the position I am of not knowing their password by heart.

I hope you'll stick around. I don't think there has to be a crowd for there to be support and sharing. After all, Kathy and I kept the place going on our own for several months early this year when everyone dropped out around the holidays and never came back (or didn't come back for months).

What I have learned from this site is that people tend to drop out when they're not doing well. They don't want to be accountable. So when people are doing well, we have posts and when people are straying from their exercise and healthy eating plans, we don't have posts. I wish that wasn't the case, but that seems to be the reality of every board I've been on here at 3FC.

redballoon
11-05-2005, 06:50 AM
Hi Sheria, thanks for posting! :wave: Ok, I'll try to stick around. I started back on another old thread, so now I'll be doing three! and one of them I started so I feel obligated to keep it going. Still, I think it's nice to have a singles thread and would like this to pick up if possible.

Well, it's late for me here now, so I want to get to bed. I'll write tomorrow and try to fill you in a bit on what I'm doing and what I'd like to do as far as weight loss and exercise goals go. Okay, talk to you later! Hope some others come in and chat! Later! :sunny:

SheriaVa
11-05-2005, 03:38 PM
I realized our #5 thread was getting a little long in the tooth, so I figured it was past time to start up a #6. I notice that we tend to pick up a new person or two when we start up a new thread, so we'll see!

You can get directly to #6 from here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1007786#post1007786