Support Groups - Time For Serious Fun #109

View Full Version : Time For Serious Fun #109

gma22
07-20-2005, 08:18 AM
TIME FOR SERIOUS FUN

We are a thread dedicated to making losing weight a pleasant experience. We laugh, cry and talk together. We have challenges, points for staying on program, drinking our water, and exercising. We have a daily topic to join in. Our only focus is to help us realize that dieting and all that goes with it need not be unpleasant, but can be fun. Come join the fun here at Time for Serious Fun! Everyone is Welcome!

TOPICS:

Monday: Mission Monday New mission each week
Tuesday: Target Tuesday We target something to work on
Wednesday: Wednesday's Woes Our day to complain about anything and everything
Thursday: Time for Us Thursday The day set aside to pamper us!
Friday: Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Report our losses!
Saturday: Sunny Thoughts Saturday We share stories and jokes to help us smile
Sunday: Silly Poll Sunday A new poll to give your thoughts to every week

POINTS VALUES:

STAYING ON PROGRAM IS 2 POINTS
DRINKING YOUR WATER IS 1 POINT
EXERCISING IS 1 POINT

POSTING A WTG: A WTG IS WHEN SOMETHING NON WEIGHT LOSS HAPPENS TO YOU LIKE A NEW DRESS IN A SMALLER SIZE. TO POST A WTG, USE ALL CAPS AND POST IT IN PINK. FOR EXAMPLE: WTG: I rode my bike 2 miles instead of one today

gma22
07-20-2005, 08:26 AM
WEDNESDAY: Today is Wednesday's Woes. A day to gripe about anything!

Susan: Sounds like your Wednesday's Woes hit on Tuesday! Sorry you had so many problems. What an inconsiderate roommate!

We had a horrific thunderstorm here last evening. Everything around us was flooding. Not more than a mile a way a fire truck going out on a call hit high water up to its doors and is stuck on the street until the water goes down. Guess I won't have to fill the swimming pool this morning! :lol:

I made my husband chipped beef on biscuits for breakfast this morning. I had no recipe and had to "wing" it. He told me the mark of a really good cook was someone who could make something without knowing how. He said it turned out terrific! My mom used to make it when we were kids and I just figured you had to make a roux and add milk then stir in the beef and add pepper so that is what I did. Who knew???? :lol:

I cleaned upstairs except for vacuuming yesterday but it was so incredibly hot and humid here I couldn't finish up so will have to vacuum as soon as I get back from the pool before it gets hot. It is supposed to be over 100 by the weekend with 110 heat index, which means Jack and I will definitely be staying in the house.

Carri: I am almost through my second reading of the book! :p I always read them twice to make sure I didn't miss anything. Actually, I probably have read each book 6-7 times apiece. I just like them and find them entertaining especially when I am bored.

Well, need to finish chores and get to the pool in a little while

Have a good day everybody!

Faye :)

QuilterInVA
07-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Good morning, ladies. Haven't been around because my husband is not doing very well - had about 5 good days and now he's getting worse again. Had doctor's appointment Monday and he sent him for blood work and wants him to go see the gastroentroligist this week instead of waiting until next month (was just there Thursday). Please keep the prayers coming.

mejones
07-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Good morning gals. Just back from some physical therapy on my knee. They think that will be the route to go, or at least try first, so I am thankful for that.

Susan/VA - your DH really needs some answers. Will keep the prayers coming your way.

Faye - I agree, driving in Mpls is not that big a deal, but people around here are used to country driving and it freaks them out! DD called last night when their plane was still on the runway in Vegas - 11pm and the pilot just told them it was 106! She is finding out why you can go so cheaply in July.

Scuzin and Amanda - hope you are both feeling much better and up to your workouts today.

CArri = enjoy the company picnic. Good luck staying cool!
Marsha

gma22
07-21-2005, 07:35 AM
THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday. A day to give ourselves just a little quiet time to ourselves.

morning gals. It is hot and humid here already. My allergies are at an all time ick level. I can barely swallow because my adenoids are so swollen and my eyes I can barely see out of. Summer, ain't it grand??? :lol:

Marsha: Yes, if you can stand the heat, the cheapest time to go to Vegas is July because that is their "cooker" month. But, in all honesty, even Vegas is above normal with their temps. I have been keeping an eye on them and they are 5-10 degrees above their average temps this year. Hope your dd had a grand time. We absolutely can't wait to go.

Susan/VA: We continue with our prayers, not only for him, but you as well. Let us know if there is anything any of us could do to relieve some of this burden from you!

Everyone have a great day

mejones
07-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Good morning to all. We are getting a one day reprieve from the heat it looks like - then mid 90's for the weekend again.

Faye - sorry to hear you are so miserable today. Takes all the fun out of summer. I know that Vegas is also experiencing record heat - oh, well, they are young and can take it. She called yesterday and sounds like they are having a ball. I have not been for about 15 years and would like to go again sometime soon. Where are you staying, Faye?

What is everyone else up to this fine day? I plan to get a little cleaning done - nothing too heavy. Then have a 50th birthday party for a friend of mine from school tonight. I joined WW online this week and so far it is going pretty well. I am a little confused about a few things, but it is getting better each day. I kind of like the challenge - found out that I am a hoarder - try to get by on as few points as I can during the day so that I have quite a few left for the dinner/evening hours. Will probably be able to have a couple of beers tonight!
Talk to you all tomorrow.
marsha

Satine
07-21-2005, 12:09 PM
Morning everyone ... still doing well, got another 4 points yesterday and am looking forward to seeing what the scales have to say this weekend since I have been so deprived :lol: I am actually trying to stay totally OP until Aug 12th when we are going to the State Fair to pig out completely!! So I am using that as a reward to stay OP ... so far so good ....

Marsha - I have been doing WW now for a year and a half, that is how I lost all my weight last year ... I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have, just let me know ... good luck!!! :D

Faye - Sorry to hear about your bad allergies, I know that sucks!! Sounds like you have them quite severely, do you take anything? Sometimes I have to double up and take Allegra and Nasacort to get relief ... hope you get to feeling better!! I know this hot humid weather makes it so much worse...it has been giving me sinus headaches from **** ...

Susan/Va - Sorry to hear about dh - I will keep you both in my prayers, keep us posted.

Scuzin, Amanda, and Julie and everyone "Hi!!!!!! " :dizzy:

LegallyBrunette
07-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Hello everyone :)

I've been looking for a support group to join, one that's low in posts so I can stay caught up :lol: and I also noticed how wonderfully organized and focused your group appears! (I love daily focus'!)

My name is Jacque, I'm 22 years old and started out weighing 241 pounds, in 2 weeks I've lost 6 pounds and I'm already starting to feel better! (Exercising has given me more energy, and I love it!!)

I live in Colorado with my wonderful hubby of just over 1 year, a German Shepherd and 2 cats (and 4 baby kittens at the moment) I am a Nursing student and my hubby is a resteraunt manager, so we lead fairly busy lives!

I can't wait to get to know you all!

Amanda Panda
07-21-2005, 12:37 PM
Hi all,

Well I blew it with my eating on Mon and Tues but am back on track as of yesterday - 4 points again. I've just felt completely wiped out this week - I think it's because of PMS, so I decided to take 2 days off from the gym. This is the first time since I started in May that I've had 2 days off in a row and I think my body probably needed it! However, it didn't help my mood any and yesterday I had to force myself out to my cycle class, which I normally really look forward to. After the class I felt so much better though and I've been again today, although I still feel lacking in energy - PMS tends to drain me!

We took Marley to the vet - we were so worried about him that we ended up cashing our next months rent cheque! :o The vet says he has a virus and is generally 'off colour' but it is nothing serious and he has given him antibiotics . He said to try him on different foods to try to get him to eat - so at the moment he is being very spoiled with tuna, sardines and kippers! We've been so worried as he hasn't eaten hardly anything since Sunday and he's so weak and listless, but thankfully today he has begun to eat a little and is looking much brighter.

FAYE - Sorry your allergies are so bad - hope they clear up soon.

SUSAN - So sorry that your DH has taken a turn for the worse - I will keep you both in my prayers.

SCUZIN - Sorry you got locked out by your housemates - that has happened to me before, it's such a pain!

CARRI - Good for you for staying OP - keep up the good work!

Love Amanda x

Scuzin
07-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Hi all. No noted loss this week, but that's ok considering the weight lifting and TOM and all that jazz. I just hope to see some numbers dropping soon!!! My target this week is water! Its been a real challenge.

My wednesday woe a day late...ANTS!!!! They have invaded my kitchen. I'm getting some ant trap thingies today. *shudder*

Faye - Hope those algeries let up :(

WELCOME JACQUE :)

gma22
07-22-2005, 07:57 AM
FRIDAY: Today is Fabulous Friday Follies. What crazy funny thing have you done this week....something dumb you ate, something stupid you did, etc?

Carri :bravo:
Amanda :bravo:
Faye :flow2:

Susan/VA: We hope your hubby is improving and you have gotten some rest. We continue to pray for you both!!

Amanda: Sorry to hear your kitty is feeling sick. I worry all the time about my cat and dog. They are incredibly spoiled. In fact, the cat comes in around 5 AM every morning to "wake us up." He meows us to death and this morning I made the mistake of petting him. When I stopped he would nip my finger or when I moved my hand up under my head he started licking my elbow, which tickled so I had to pet him again. They both sleep with us so that is always lovely too. Luckily, with Fortune being small it isn't as bad as it could be. Hope YOU are feeling a little better too.

Carri: A lot of the meds I can't take and the one that I can makes me sleepy so I only take it at night and only when I am miserable. Last night was one of those nights so I was asleep by 7:30! :lol: But, that helped me catch up on sleep deprivation and I feel pretty good this morning. Oooh, the State Fair. Gosh, I haven't been to the Indiana state fair since I was a kid and back then it was nothing compared to what it is now.

Susan: I have ants too. They are summer pests. Mine are coming from next door I think but that still doesn't make it any better. There is a new home spray that uses like cloves etc instead of insecticide to kill them. You may want to check into that.

Jacque: Welcome to our group. We have a few that come and go and got down to just a couple of us a few months ago, but we have "plumped" up a little lately. I hope you enjoy what we do here. Please feel free to participate in the topics and the points everyday if you wish. I try to keep everything up everday as I kind of "control" the thread so to speak.

Marsha: We are staying at the Orleans. That is where we stayed last year for my son's wedding and that was the first time we had been to Vegas. I am afraid it is going to be a yearly trip for us as we have fallen in love with it and my favorite sister lives 4 hours away in Calf. We love the Orleans. The prices are good (we got a $45 a night deal) and the rooms are huge. Everyone is friendly too and the pool is great. Besides, it isn't as high brow as some of the strip motels where they treat you like you are slugs, ie the new Wynn hotel. I found out he put a Ferrarri dealership in the hotel and they charge you a fee to go into the dealership to look at the cars!

EVERYONE TELL JACQUE ABOUT YOURSELF.

Jacque, I am going to be 52 in Sept, I have 2 children, Jack who is 31 and married a year and my dd is Kelly, 27 and married and has one little boy, Thomas who just turned 5 and is my little sweety pie. I have been married almost 33 years to a scrumptious man who served for 20 years in the Navy and now works for the City of Memphis. I stay at home and have no plans going back to work. We live in Memphis, now, but I grew up in Northwest Indiana. My top weight was around 410 and I am about 325 now. I am working on it.

Have a good day everybody!

Julie, Nikki we miss hearing from you!

Faye ;)

Mirabelly
07-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Wow, okay...I know it's been a while since I was in here...but sheesh! They made me log in again. Bad Julie...

I'm still alive and kickin' The writing is going really well, I just landed an article yesterday for "For Me" magazine that will come out in Nov. It's nice to know I can finally start seeing my name on the grocery stands instead of only in weird specialty publications. The novel is still floundering in some slush pile somewhere, I got nowhere with the agents. Well, I shouldn't say that....I got awesome feedback from the agents, just none wanted this particular book. Sadly, I can make more money writing 1 article that takes a day than I can writing a whole book....so, articles it is for now.

Dh is losing weight like crazy, I'm not. :( I will when I decide that exercise is a priority. But at least I'm sticking in the same range. I had a huge sugar pig out last weekend at a medieval campout--a friend brought 6 gallons of blueberry and strawberry meade! I'm still de-puffing from that.

I'm so far behind, I won't even try to do individual replies....but I hope everyone is doing well, and I'll try to get back in here more often. Promise.

Julie

Amanda Panda
07-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi all,

Well I woke up today feeling rough again - I have a fuzzy head and am a bit achy, so yet again I didn't feel up to the gym. I wonder if I have caught Marley's virus? :lol: I am just going to have to accept that this week has been a bit of a wash out in terms of both food and exercise - this has not happened to me for quite some time, but I will get over it as soon as my PMS, bug or whatever is over.

The good news is Marley is continuing to get stronger - we have to stick a tiny pill down his throat each morning and the scratching and biting he did today shows he's definately getting better!

WELCOME JACQUE - My name is Amanda and I am 32 years old. I currently am unable to work due to depression, but am getting better all the time. I started my weight loss journey on the 1st Jan this year weighing 267lb, and have slowly but surely come down to 235lb. I have suprised myself by becoming a bit of an exercise buff - I go to the gym 5-6 days a week and find exercise helps to lift my mood (and helps me to get away with not eating right 100% of the time! ;) ). I am counting calories - currently around 1600 a day. So you are a student nurse? My brother is training to be a Paediatric nurse and he loves it.

JULIE - I am so pleased that you are getting lots of articles to write - I am sure a book deal will follow soon! Congrats to your dh for dropping his weight! Don't stay away so long - surely you can spare 5 minutes in the morning for us?

FAYE - Your pets sound as spoilt as mine is! Here is something that will either make you laugh, or will make you angry...........I just read on the news that some people hung a banner from a motorway bridge telling everyone who dies in the latest Harry Pottor book and who the half blood prince is! Can you believe the lengths some people go to for a laugh!!It made me chuckle, but I haven't read any of the books. (The police removed it because it distracted drivers).

Hi to Susan, Scuzin, Carri and Niki

Love Amanda x

QuilterInVA
07-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Hello, ladies! Have a few minutes to check in.

For the newcomers, I am Susan/VA (since there is another Susan). My highest weight was 356 pounds (1971) at which point I joined WW and lost 201 pounds. Kept it off for 25 years, got some health problems and gained 30. Got 25 back off now and have been messing around with the last 5 for months - my fault, not WW. My husband is disabled and having some really bad health problems now. We have no children. I love to quilt and read and have one spoiled cat named Cupid (he has a heart shaped patch of fur in the middle of his back).

Well, ladies, I'm ashamed to say I've let the stress get to me and have gained 3 pounds this month. Ate out of vending machines while dh was in hospital and am having a hard time getting back on track. If we could just get him diagnosed so we knew what we were dealing with, I could get back in control. Unfortunately, I eat for comfort when I am stressed and nothing else seems to be working for me at the moment, including my beloved quilting.

I've written out menus for next week and hopefully can stick with them. If I have it planned I usually only eat that.

L

Satine
07-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Afternoon Girls ... I got another 4 points yesterday...I really had to push myself to go exercise though, still have those days ... I think I over did it a little as my thigh muscles are quite sore... I weighed myself this morning and I am down 3 pounds this week so obviously it is working ... I am back going strong and for that I am very thankful... :)

Julie - So good to hear from you, glad the article writing is going well, make sure and let us know when we can go buy one ... I want to say "I knew you when..." :lol:

Amanda - Hope you feel better soon, dont be hard on youself for this bad week, you dont feel well and that is why you havent done so well, I know next week you will be doing great again!!! Glad to hear Marley is feeling better!

Susan/Va - We gain weight during stressful times...most all people over eat when they are going through a rough patch ... I know your dh will be better soon and you will be right back on the right track, you are such an inspiration having lost so much weight and maintaining for so many years... :)

Jacque - Welcome, I am a 31 year old, I work at an insurance company, have been married for 11 years now, no kids just one spoiled little westie dog named Les...started WW in Jan of 2004 and have lost about 50 or so pounds since then, hard to keep track since the last couple of months I went up and down so much, ha ha ...I do the WW flex points program and I really like it, I still have a ways to go but I will do it!!!!

Faye - I do not have any funny or stupid stories for this week, don't get me wrong I do stupid and silly things on a daily basis but they have slipped my forgetful mind ... you know how it goes?? HOpe your allergies are better today, it is supposed to be a high of 95 here on Sunday, good grief!!! I guess I will be inside all that day...

Well hope you all have a great weekend ( hello to anyone I missed ) and I will talk to you all later!!

gma22
07-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Afternoon ladies! Nice to see everyone here this afternoon.

Carri :bravo:

Susan/VA: What a cute name for a cat. Ours is named Butterscotch because that is his color. I call him "b" or "bb" and he comes to me when I call any of those names. I was a cat disliker until he came into our home. He had been dumped out by my husband's plant to be killed by coyotes or starve to death. He showed up at the back door of the breakroom with a messed up left eye and no one wanted him. Jack tried to get him into a rescue place but they all wanted over $200 to take him, some rescue huh? He called me and asked what he should do as he couldn't set it loose again. I told him to bring him home. He was barely 9 weeks old from what the vet said. I guess the ole mama in me took over and he is one of my two non-human babies. I love him to death and he is such a hoot. He taught himself to sit for treats like the dog does when we let the dog go outside to go to the bathroom, he sits at the door while the dog is outside and if he feels he has been out there too long comes and meows at us until we let Fortune in. Like I said before, he wakes us up in the mornings (obviously ignoring weekends! :lol: ) and his favorite thing to have done to him is either mess with his ears or what I call "stripping" his tail where you make a fist around his tail then gently pull the length of it. He is screwy, but we love him.

Carri: WOOHOO on the losses! That is great! You will be at goal in no time!

Amanda: I just think it is awful to spoil the fun for other people, you know? The thing people need to realize, is once the book is out to the public, you better read it fast because word is going to get out what the secret stuff in the book is. This one has a couple big ones. So sorry about your country continuing to have bombing troubles. It sickens me this world can't seem to live together in peace.

Jack should be home in about an hour so I can stop talking to the animals for entertainment! :lol: I did watch Beyond the Sea (film about Bobby Darin, who I love) and The English Patient, which is a wonderful film, but so sad, though I think Colin Firth is seriously sexy! Unfortunately, Ralph Fiennes (who BTW for you Harry P fans is going to be playing Voldemort in the movies) is the only male who takes his clothes off, darn it! :lol: :lol: I am a seriously sick old lady! :^: :devil:

Guess I better get out of here for now. Everyone have a fabo weekend and stay out of the extreme heat we all seem to be experiencing!

Faye ;)

mejones
07-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Hello to everyone. Man, what a summer! We are in another heatwave - expect it to break on Monday, but thiw sill be the third weekend in a row of 90+ - they are talking close to 100 tomorrow.

Julie - glad the writing is going well. Be sure to let usknow when there is something we can read you in!

Jacque - welcome. I just started here about a month ago and I hope you will find this group as helpful as I do. I turned 50 in January. Live in southern Minnesota. Will be married 31 years in August and have two kids - DS is 26 and lives and works in Minneapolis, DD is 23 and just graduated with a Corrections degree. Working partime as a probation officer for the county that includes Minneapolis, looking for a full time job. I have been an elementary teacher for 28 years, DH is a farmer. I have fluctuated up and down with my weight - mostly overweight since the kids, though. Started in April at 226, down as low as 203 a few weeks ago, then gained 5 back. Started WW online this week, doing Flex and liking it so far.

Amanda - glad to hear kitty is starting to feel a bit better. Cut yourself a little slack and listen to your body. You are so motivated that you will be right back on track when you can.

Carri - I am sure I will bug both you and Susan with WW questions, although the website is quite helpful. Just thinking about the fair is making me hungry - food on a stick!!

Susan, Scuzin, Faye - hope you all have some fun planned for the weekend - I will be trying to beat the heat.
Marsha

gma22
07-23-2005, 08:23 AM
SATURDAY: today is Sunny Thoughts Saturday. A day we share good things about this ole weight loss life.

Faye :dancer: I actually put some effort in and got in my water. today I will try and traverse getting back on my food plan.

Hope everyone has a fun weekend. We are sticking close to and in home. The heat is going to be way too hot to be outdoors. I will get my workout in about an hour from now then we will just huddle up I guess.

We watched the Aviator last night. Long movie but interesting. That man was a genius but one tortured soul. He was a paranoid schizophrenic and had OCD. So sad, because he had true vision. He was the first person to build a single wing style airplane, he developed a bra for larger women (he actually designed it for Jane Russell to play in the Outlaw, but is used today,) he had the vision of jet airplanes when no one else did. But he was a kook!

It didn't even cool off here last night. We run the AC around 70-73 degrees and run two fans that cross ventilate and it was still uncomfortable at times. I think this whole country is cooking this year.

Marsha: I don't think you told us initially that your hubby was a farmer. I want to be the one to :cp: him. I think it is one of the hardest and most thankless of occupations, but he and the few men and women that continue to raise crops and animals are still the backbone of this country and what makes it great. My dmom and step father were dairy farmers when I was in high school (I didn't live with them) and though I don't like the country life, they loved it. Then there is you, who strives to improve young minds under great pressure in these days I might add. What a wonderful combination!

Did anyone watch the Dateline segment about the brides losing weight before their weddings? I saw the little redhead as failing right from the start. She made her goal too ambitious and then kept giving up when she wasn't fullfilling it. Wish I could get through to every person who wants or needs to lose weight that failure is part of success and not to give up when you fail but to step back and look at what made you fail, work on fixing that and recommit yourself to your goal.

Every person that needs to lose weight doesn't have the same issues but one, they have too much fat on their bodies to be healthy. If we truly shut out everybody elses reasons and just look at not only why we failed in the past, but why we eat when we aren't hungry, when and where do we eat, how do we eat you will see a pattern of why your program fails you. Each one of you, either here or in your home, sit down and make a list of the stuff above. I will do mine here so you get an idea of what I mean:

Why I failed: I return to bad habits and don't work hard enough to eliminate them from my daily life, I don't feel worthy to be thin, in other words, I don't think I really feel that I deserve it so I just don't do it, I overeat for pure pleasure of food, I eat out of boredom,

When do I eat: scattered through the day instead of set times
Where: Usually with a book or in front of the tv almost always
How: I am a fast eater and don't enjoy the taste of the food more the filling up of myself I think
Why overeat: To relieve that boredom, to fill a need I have other than hunger, compulsion

What do I do right? I exercise religiously

How to improve: eat at set times during the day and not outside those times, make the meal the most important thing, not outside things like tv or books, deal with the emotional side of eating problem like knowing I am worth being healthier and fit, find something to relieve the day to day boredom that I currently fill with food, conquer compulsive actions no matter what they are eating, cleaning, whatever.

There you have it gals. Sort of a roadmap to success for me and following this for you too. Try it and see if it doesn't help.

mejones
07-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Good morning, gals. Got kids sleeping in the living room - too hot upstairs, so have to be quiet this am.

Faye - thanks for the thoughts today. I feel like I could have written most of them myself! My biggest issue is just that I love to eat. My DM was a cook, caterer, people pleaser who made everything taste great. All of our socializing centered around food. Food is pleasure to me. I now live in a family of pretty picky eaters and have been able to at least stay less than morbidly obese because I gave up cooking and baking since noone eats it! My kids have the physical characteristics of their Welsh ancestors on both sides of the family - DS is 5'6'' and has weighed at the most 135 (he's almost 27). DD(almost 24) is 5'0 and now weighs about 110 - she is happiest closer to 100. DH is 5'6 and gained 15 pounds this winter when he quit smoking for 5 months. He has lost about 5 of it, but also is smoking again :( Plans to do the hypnosis thing over again after our week at the lake in August. Personally, it is just really hard at age 50 to change some of those life long behaviors and attitudes - sometimes the dieting itself makes me think more about food and what I am missing?? Yikes - enough rambling for me.
Thought for the weekend for many of us - STAY COOL!!! Relief is coming.
Marsha

Scuzin
07-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Good Morning
Wow I am up early! and I've only had 4 hours of sleep. Made it back to the gym thursday. Started with the weights but stopped because my elbow was acting a little funny and I did not want to even pretend to risk messing it up, so I headed to the cardio room and had a fabulous jog of about 1.25 miles. I was sweating buckets, it felt great and boy did my buns feel it the next day!

I saw March of the Penguins last night. Very Cute. I'm kind of a penguin nut.

So for those who don't know me at all yet and an update for those who do, I am 21 and going to be a senior in theater arts at Oregon State. I come from a big family which is spread across the country and am soon to be a 1st time aunt! (Will undoubtedly be updating you on that). I'm single, though I have gone through a BF since I was last a part of this group. We are still friends though. I love my friends and family immensly and am a huge softy underneith a sarcastic shell. :chin: ummmm...and I have a fish named Stella. :lol:

gma22
07-24-2005, 08:30 AM
SUNDAY: Today is Silly Poll Sunday and our poll this week is if you left right now, no kids, no planning, but had the money to do so, where would you go to get away from it all?

Good morning ladies. Hope you all are keeping cool today. It was sure miserable here yesterday and going to get worse today.

Silly poll: Uhh, if you can't have figured it out from me being a pain about it, VEGAS! :D

We went over to the pool and it was locked and no one was there so we locked ourselves in and had about 20 minutes of fun just the two of us. My husband is a dirty ole man as most of you know so he would swim up under me and grab me. He also undid my swimsuit so my boobs would fall and decided he liked that better. He is totally warped, but we had a lot of laughs.

Kohls was having a big one day sale so we braved the heat (it was 101 when we got into the car and looked at the temp) and found him another pair of shorts and matching golf shirt for $25! I could have spent a fortune, but we have all we need now. I just have a couple prs of his shorts that need a button sewed on and as soon as he gives me those, I will repair them. I can't believe we are actually getting close to vacation. I have yammered on for months about it.

I did 75 minutes in the pool yesterday, adding a back stroke to my "repertoire" and boy is that tough for a fat person to do. I had to keep thinking about keeping my butt up so I wasn't swimming like this V but this______. My form stunk but since I am not going to be competing for the 2008 Olympics, I guess I am ok! :lol:

Well, I need to do a couple chores before getting into the pool. Everyone take care and be careful of this awful heat.

Satine
07-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Afternoon All - Man is it hot here today, is going to be around 97 today and 99 tomorrow with a heat index of 105-110 degrees!!! :cool: Geez!!! I cannot believe how hot of a summer we are having ... like you Faye, my A/C has been running non-stop ... wish I didnt have to get out tomorrow for work since it is going to be the hottest of all the days but what can you do? I cannot call off for heat I guess - :D Well I guess the weather man said that we are supposed to get a heat reprieve for a while after Tuesday, I think he said low 80"s and that sounds wonderful right now, doesnt it?

Well just wanted to pop in and say hello, I am doing laundry and staying inside away from the heat stroke - talk to you all later!!

Oh and for the Sunday poll - I think that would be Ireland ... :)

Scuzin
07-25-2005, 01:13 AM
I would be in Ireland too! or driving some beat car down a two lane highway with a tent in the back seat and music blairing.

Been eating really terribly lately because of friends visiting etc, but hit the gym again tomorrow.

Faye, I am living, eating, and breathing Harry Potter. I am 3/4 the way though it. I love it. Much better than #5 turned out I think. 3 & 4 are my favorite

gma22
07-25-2005, 08:00 AM
MONDAY: Today is Mission Monday and our mission this week is VEGGIES! It is the one thing most people eat the least of and probably has the most nutritional value. Get out to those truck stands, veggie stands, fruit and veggie markets and get some fresh produce while it is still available. You will not regret it.

Morning everyone. I have a headache and icky tummy this morning (allergy side effects) so I got up early again. It will go away the longer I am up and I may tilt the bod back in bed for a nap later. It is way too hot to sleep even with AC and 2 fans going. I roasted last night so didn't sleep well.

Carri: I have to say, I am looking forward to a break in the temps that is for sure. The heat index here right now at 5:50 am is 90 degrees. You can hardly breathe when you go outside. UGH! Sorry you have to get out in it and work.

Susan: Well, be prepared for 2 surprises at the end of the book. I have read it through twice and will probably start it again when I get done with 3 and five, which I am rereading right now.

Some people got into the pool in the middle of the night (there was water all over the place and it would have dried out with the heat after it closed at 9 PM on Sat) between Sat and Sunday. I went over there on Sun morning and there were Smirnoff bottles and caps (caps in the pool!) and cigars and cigar tips all over the place. They either climbed the fence or it looked to me like they had a key because of the way the chain and lock were on the gate. Which means someone leant their key to someone or somehow someone got a copy of the key. Anyway, some stupid woman took off her diamond wedding band and engagement ring and I have it here waiting for someone to claim it, but how can people who have no right to be in there and were in there while it was locked, ask for something they left there? Sooner or later people pay for their bad behavior and this lady did losing her rings.

Well, I am going to get some stuff done while it is still cool enough to do it.

QuilterInVA
07-25-2005, 11:00 AM
Good morning, Ladies. Hot here, too. Expecting to set a record high today. My poor husband is so cold I keep the AC on 78 for him and I'm dying with the heat. At that, he has sweats on. He seems to be doing a little better - at least he is eating more. I've arranged for my neighbor and her little boy to have lunch with him everyday this week. I think he doesn't like to eat alone and even though I leave his lunch all ready he doesn't eat it. I'm thinking Noah may be the spark he needs.

Fruits and vegetables are a mainstay for me - I have at least 10 servings a day, mostly veggies. I love them all and they help to keep me feeling full.

Dieting downfalls - I'm a closet eater, and all closet eaters know that food has no calories. Don't know why I gain weight - a mystery. I only exercise in spurts...right now it's too hot to go out and walk so I'm using that as an excuse. Got to get my act together.

Doing better and back on my food plan since Saturday. Drinking water surely hasn't been a problem - I drink constantly in this weather.

Hope you all have a good week!

Amanda Panda
07-25-2005, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

Sorry I've been gone for a couple of days. Well last week was probably my worst week in a very long time - but I still managed to get myself out to the gym 4 times, so it wasn't all bad. The funny thing is I feel like I've had a slack week because I've only exercised 4 times - but for most people 4 times means a really good week!

I've been to the gym today and my instructor has shaken up my programme a bit - which is good because I was getting a bit bored.

SILLY POLL - I too love Ireland, but as it is only next door to me I can go there anytime! If money was no object I would go to the Caribbean, maybe Barbados or St Lucia - I don't know if my Caribbean wedding is going to happen, but it is still somewhere I would love to visit.

MY DIET REVIEW

Things I am doing wrong - I still comfort eat around PMS/TOM - usually cheese and pizza.I still have the odd binge if I am feeling very low. I do not stay consistently on track for weeks at a time - I'll do 4 days OP, then a bad day, then 3 days OP, then 2 bad days etc. I too love my food a bit too much! I need to reduce my portion sizes some more. I need to eat more fruit and veg.

Things I am doing right - Exercise, exercise, exercise! I really feel I have got this licked and most of the time it is not a chore, but something I enjoy doing. I'm overeating and bingeing ALOT less and rarely eat between meals. I have reduced my portions somewhat and switched to skimmed milk, and wholegrain carbs. I drink lots of water and steer clear of juices and soda's. I rarely eat sweets, crisps or chocolate anymore.

Things I need to change - I need to be more consistent with my diet - stay 100% OP for several weeks at a time. I need to stop eating to make myself feel better when I am low. I need to cut down the takeaway pizza's to 1 or 2 a month. I need to eat more fruit and veg and continue to reduce my portion sizes.

Have a good evening ladies,

Love Amanda x

mejones
07-25-2005, 06:45 PM
Happy Monday ladies. It is raining here today - yeah, we relly need it!
Am starting to get the hang of this WW thing I think. I like the online program, and trying to figure out points is kind of fun. DD would like to lose the 5-8 lbs she has gained this year, so she is trying it too. Not so much fun for her as she only gets 20 points a day!

Amanda - you are doing sooo many things right! And just recognizing where you pitfalls are helps to avoid them.

Susan/VA - good idea to have someone around so DH will eat - it is so important for him.

Faye - it will be interesting to see who comes calling for the rings!

Speaking of veggies today, DH's sweet corn is ready. Had some last night at DD's place, now on the way to DF's for supper and will take corn along. IT is only one pt per ear, and I actually found it very enjoyable last night with WAY less butter than I would ordinarily use - I could taste the corn more!
Better be on my way -
Marsha

gma22
07-26-2005, 08:29 AM
TUESDAY: Today is Target Tuesday and our target this week is working on what we consider our worst feature. If our nose is too big, find makeup tips to help slim it down, if our behind sticks out search for exercises that will tighten it up. By working on what we dislike about ourselves, we empower ourselves to be the best we can be!

Marsha: So glad you like WW. A lot of people do and it is a fine program, but it is slow progress and some get discouraged with that. However, slow is the way to go. As for your corn, I buy I can't believe it's not butter spray for corn, veggies and such where I like butter but don't want the calories. It works great!

Amanda: It is great that you see where your problems lie. I find that putting them down on paper or in this case here, makes you really look at what you are doing wrong and what you are doing right. If there is one thing I am so very proud of you about it is the courage you showed to get on a suit and get into the pool and get into workout clothes and workout and not be afraid or embarrassed. It is a step in the right direction toward making you a powerful woman! You are doing great!

Susan/VA: It is so nice of your neighbor to be so kind and bring her child to eat with your hubby. You are right, maybe this will spur him on to eat and that in turn will give him strength to fight what he needs to fight! WTG on the fruits and veggies. Few people eat what they should of them. You are an example to us all!

To all the rest of you, hope you have a wonderful day.

desertseatingoceans
07-26-2005, 01:44 PM
WOW! Looks like I have missed a TON while being gone! So much has been going on with me...I finally went up to Dallas for the first time and I LOVE it. My roomie and I got an apartment just north of Dallas, in Denton, right near the University of North Texas. Everyone is being sooo supportive in us leaving Houston, except our friends, who hate that we're leaving them...and my mom...who is trying to be supportive, but still has it set in her mind that I will fail. This sweet lady that I house/dogsit for sometimes bought us this 80 piece set for our kitchen. My roomies mom is helping me look for grants and loans so I can go to UNT in January. Im completely excited about that. Anyways. Last time I checked my weight I was down to 180. My lowest before that was 183. I am quite sure moving will help me with my weight because jennah eats extremely healthfully...and when I am around her, I do too. Plus, we wont be able to afford junk food or take out anything. And we live like two blocks from campus, and down the street from everything, so we will walk or ride bikes alot.

I figure I have been gone too long, and missed way too much to do individual replies. Each one would be a mile long. But, I missed you guys.

And I will introduce myself to Jacque- Hey, I'm Nikki. I'm 19. Live in Houston, soon to be Dallas. Highest weight was in the 230 or 240 area....I avoided scales, so its hard to tell. Now I'm at 180.

And I am starving, so I am gonna go get some grubbins. Be back soon!
Nikki

Amanda Panda
07-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Hello all,

I'm happy to report a 4 point day yesterday! I went to the gym and did my new cardio workout. Yesterday, I told my instructor that I hated the rower as it makes my back ache (probably because of my big boobs!), so we've cut that from my programme and replaced it with the 'cross trainer' and have increased the time on it from 5 to 10 mins, so my total cardio workout is now 50 mins. It was hard work on the cross trainer today, but I enjoyed it alot more than the rower and I really felt like I've increased the overall intensity of my workout which is good. I didn't think it was possible for me to sweat any more than I have been doing, but apparantly I was wrong - today, I sweated buckets! I forgot to tell you all yesterday, my instructor said that I was 'looking really good' and also that he likes me because I am one of the most motivated people at the gym! Talk about make my day- I was really chuffed!

FAYE - Thanks for your kind words - they mean alot to me. I haven't really got any family support in this weight loss journey, so your support means alot to me. Any news on the rings?

MARSHA - Thanks for your kind and supportive words too - I'm feeling the love in this group today! :grouphug: I'm glad that WW is going well for you - it's a good solid diet that you can stick to for life isn't it?

SUSAN/VA - I'm glad you have nice neighbours who can sit with your dh - having a child around should lift his spirits!

Hi to Carri and Susan and Nikki and Julie

Love Amanda x

Scuzin
07-26-2005, 10:23 PM
So I seem to have missplaced my wallet which, among other things means can't get into the gym because I don't have my student ID...lets hope I find it soon.

I finnished the book the same night of my last post....wow...wow....wow!

Not much time...must be off to rehearsal!!!!!

gma22
07-27-2005, 06:14 AM
WEDNESDAY: Today is Wednesday's Woes a day to gripe gripe gripe!

Susan: Were you surprised by who died and who killed? I sat and cried, but it does make sense. Can't say anymore as I don't think Carri has read it yet.

Amanda: Rowing will kill you if you have big boobs. Glad you found a good substitute and it is always nice to hear your trainer say you are looking good! I have a feeling I have a new set of rings! :lol: Haven't heard a peep from anyone and if I lost them, I would be frantic. Of course, like I said, if you were trespassing and breaking and entering, you can't very well ask for them. :^:

Nikki: Glad you found somewhere to live and hope you can get things all arranged to go to school up there. I like Dallas when we go through it (my dh has family about an hour from there and we were in Dallas for a week a couple years ago) Good luck with everything and YEAH on the losses!

Even though right now my food is not as good as it should be, I am still losing inches. I put a pair of my new capris on to go to lunch with dd yesterday and they are fitting looser than they were just a couple weeks ago. I am ashamed to say, I am not drinking near enough water and need to do that if for no other reason than the heat.

Hope you girls all have a great day!

KimmyAnn47
07-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Hello Ladies! An old member just stopping in to say hello, and share with you some good news! I joined OA 1.5 yrs ago after nothing else worked. It took that long, but I have now reached my weight goal of...BMI<25!!!!!!

This is pretty freaking cool, and it took a lot of experimentation to get here this slowly, but there you have it.

I will share a Wednesday Woe. Usually when I succeed at meeting a weight goal, I then begin to eat like I've been trapped in a cave for a week. I am a little anxious that that could happen again, somehow after a success I feel like I am on really precarious footing. Well, I think my skills and perspective are pretty different now, so maybe I'll visit a maintainers site for some inspiration, and then just get on with my life!

Although I don't visit this site much anymore, it was a crucial step in my journey! Thanks so much, it is fun to see how many people are still focused on health after 2 yrs!

Take care! Kim

QuilterInVA
07-27-2005, 12:38 PM
Congratulations, Kim, on finding what works for you. Good luck with your maintenance and stop by once in awhile and let us know how you are doing.

Ladies, I have good news for a change. Thanks, I'm sure, to all the prayers on my husband's behalf, the doctor has finally come up with a diagnosis - a test they did late last week revealed a parasite in his stomach and intestines. He started on a very stong antibotic today, 4 times a day for 10 days. After 2 days he should start feeling better...I am so relieved to finally get a handle on this. Now I'll work at getting myself back on track getting the 3 pounds off I've gained this month.

mejones
07-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Susan/VA - that is great news on DH - who would have thought?? You guys have certainly been through a lot these last few weeks - yeah, now back to focusing on you a bit more.

Amanda - your trainer's praise is really exciting. You have made it through a rough patch here these last few weeks, too. Onward and upward (or should I say, downward!).

Nikki - glad the move is going so well for you. Your enthusiasm is contagious!

Susan - hop you find that ID - what a hassle!

Faye - I am sure all your swimming is really toning you - congrats on the capris!

I had therapy on my knee this am, feeling a bit better. Glad to report I only have had one day that is not OP since I started WW. SO far, so good! Helps to have DD doing it, too. The website is pretty helpful. We have had two beautiful, almost chilly, days in a row, and boy am I enjoying it! Take care everyone.
Marsha

Amanda Panda
07-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi all,

I got another 4 points yesterday. Sorry, I haven't got time to talk - I'm watching 'Mars Attacks'.

SUSAN/VA - I am so happy that you have a diagnosis at last. My friend was found to have a parasite in her system which had been there for 15 years, dating back to a trip to India. She had lots of health problems (though not as serious as your dh) and was labelled a hypochondriac, until it was eventually spotted. Hope these antbiotics will really sort him out!

Have a good evening,

Love Amanda x

gma22
07-28-2005, 06:50 AM
THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday, take time just for you today.

Susan/VA: Praise God! I am thrilled you have found a solution to your hubby's illness. No wonder he didn't want to eat!

Amanda: You remain an inspiration to us all. You have gone from a young woman with lousy self esteem and a slip shod look at losing weight to a strong vibrant woman who wants to become healthy again and is willing to work at it! I am proud of you!

Marsha: I hope the therapy will help you out and make that knee lots stronger. Unfortunately, the only thing that will help mine is surgery and I am not sure I am ready for that. Good going on the WW too!

Kim: Nice to see you and congrat on goal!

Carri, Nikki, Susan and Julie. Hope you all have a great day!

Woohoo I am down to 4 weeks from today for vacation. We are slowly getting there! I put on another brand new pair of pants that I couldn't fit into a month ago and now they fit and are only snug one place, right where the widest part of my hip is because I have a big tummy roll that even losing weight is not going to make it go away. I am itching to pack I am so anxious and it consumes all my dh and I talk about. Oh and my dd is going to watch my cat for me so that is a load off my mind. Fortune goes to the pet resort.

I guess I better go and get my morning chores done.

Satine
07-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Morning All, well my dang scales are broke, again! I bought Tanita scales about a year and a half ago at Bed, Bath, and Beyond ... well one week later they were not working ( they are digital ) so I took it back and just exchanged it for the same thing and now it is not working...aren't scales supposed to last longer than a year and a half? I thought Tanita was a good brand but now I am questioning it, everytime I step on it just says "error", well I guess they are right - it was a true "error" to gain all this weight!! :lol:

Susan/Va - So glad to hear that you know what is wrong with dh now, that is great news...so happy for you both...

Amanda - As everyone has said you are doing a great job, keep it up!! You inspire us all !!!

Faye - Good job on the capri's ... I know you are going to have a great time in Vegas, dh and I really want to go soon too ...

Julie, Nikki, Scuzin, Marsha - Hi to all and have a great day !!!!

I have been staying OP but lately it was too hot to exercise ( I need a pool to go to in private, ha ha ) ... but the last couple of days have been cool, it has been great, makes me want Fall really bad!!!

Take Care!!!

gma22
07-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Carri: Oooooohhhhhh is that why my scales say ERR, they are broken not that I am too fat for the scales! :lol: I have Tanita and bought them at BBB too and mine are ok at least I guess they are. I mean I see myself at 140 and they see me as 325 so maybe they are broken :smug: I always thought that was a good brand and they weren't cheap either. Mine are BMI scales too are yours?

Ok, let's give Faye the dumb dumb of the year award. I pulled a real dope of a move today. I don't know what I was thinking. I ordered Jack's meds this morning thinking it was payday (well in my defense Thurs did used to be payday until just a few months ago) but anyway, I took Jack to work and came home, did my pool workout, watched a cute movie (in good company) then took a shower and went out to get my nails done still clueless. I then went to the grocery store never thinking it wasn't payday and shopped then went to pick up my lunch takeout and they declined my bank card. Well, DUH, I had moved money to the savings for vacation not even looking at the checking account because I assumed it was payday, paid for his meds and bought groceries and payday is TOMORROW! I just gave her my credit card instead but it was embarrassing! Sheesh!

Ok, here is something my dsis sent me and is worth the read. Pass it on.

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzz short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficult! y focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE:

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway! after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of Coke and it will be gone in two days

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the "real thing" sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous China.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of Reynolds wrap aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away th! e corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains.

9. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info:
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days! Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of Coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years! Now the question is, would you like a coke or a glass of water?

jacolmom
07-28-2005, 03:36 PM
I just emailed my hubby the properties of Coke to see if he will pay attention to it. He drinks about 6 a day and can't understand why he can't lose weight. The pediatrician also told me that if you drink a Coke a day that you gain 12 lbs a year!

QuilterInVA
07-28-2005, 05:46 PM
On the Tanita scales, they have one that measures hydration (% water) as well as fat and BMI. I was wondering if anyone has one of those and do you think it is worth it. I was thinking it might be a good investment since we have to be careful of fluid retention with my husband's CHF - though we might see the numbers changing before the swelling was visible - and with his kidneys where dehydration is the problem.

Amanda Panda
07-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Hi all,

I got 2 points yesterday - I was meant to have a very low cal day (1400), but actually had just under 1600. Good news! I weighed myself and I've lost another 2lb, making my monthly total 6lb - I'd like to make it 7lb total for the month, so I've got 3 days left to lose that extra pound - which will make my total weight loss 35lb or 2 1/2 stone as we Brits say.

Thanks for your kind words - it took a while (about 20 years!), but I finally seem to have my weight under control. For the first time in my life, I actually believe in myself that I can do this!

That coke thing is little suprise to me....Nige sent me out to buy a bottle the other week when he wanted to destroy his old hard drive! :lol: The water facts were very interesting - I didn't know that it could help to reduce cancer.

FAYE - I remember when I last went on holiday - I was packing at 2am on the morning we were leaving! :o That's great that you are fitting into smaller clothes! I'm now fitting into clothes that I haven't worn for 3 years - and they are actually a little loose. A while ago I packed away some of my smaller clothes, but Nigel is going to get them out for me at the weekend as now the majority of what is in my wardrobe is too big! I must say it feels good - for the first time in my life I have tonnes of clothes that are too big, it's always been that they were too small.

CARRI - Good for you for staying OP! I've got some good quality non digital scales that have a 10 year guarantee. That's the problem with digital ones - although they are more accurate, they tend to be temperamental!

Love Amanda x

gma22
07-29-2005, 07:03 AM
FRIDAY: Today is Fabulous Friday Follies. A day we share our goof ups!

Amanda :dancer:

I already shared my goof up yesterday. be back to post replies a little later

mejones
07-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Good morning to all. Just a quick post before I get busy here. Spent yesterday in Minneapolis again, so need to catch up on some laundry, cleaning, etc. Been nice here for several days, sounds like the heat is coming in for the weekend. Take care - will check back later.
Marsha

Amanda Panda
07-29-2005, 11:41 AM
Hello,

I got 3 points yesterday - had to have a rest day from exercise! I went to visit my friend who has recently had a baby which was nice. I am finding that now I am less depressed and have more energy I am getting a bit bored when I am at home. The gym takes up a couple of hours, but other than that I haven't got much going on so I've applied to do some voluntary work. I have put my name forward for half a day at my local PDSA charity shop, and half a day at the local Children's Hospital. They have lots of opportunities at the hospital, but the one that has caught my eye is helping out in the dieticians dept - answering phones, typing out diet sheets and making appointments. I must say I am looking forward to getting out of the house and meeting new people - I've been stuck inside for too long!

Well Nigel got all my old clothes out from the top of the wardrobe - what a disappointment that was! Everything is really old and tatty and just plain boring! I am a lot more adventurous with colours now, but everything there was black or navy. I found one nice pair of trousers, but they are still too small. The rest I am just going to give away to charity - I am a different person from 5 years ago and my tastes and style have changed completely. Guess I'll have to start saving for a new wardrobe!

Love Amanda x

gma22
07-29-2005, 03:00 PM
Good afternoon ladies! Hope you are having a nice day. I had to go to the dreaded commissary shopping today and you know how I love to do that! :lol:

Amanda: You will find that your exercising on a regular basis will help with depression somewhat. It releases our "feel good" endorphins, which help to make us more uplifted. You definitely should start purchasing new clothing even just one piece at a time. It will help you to stay on your program and help give you a better sense of yourself. Colors are definitely the way to go. I wear stripes and all kinds of things. I could care less what other people think if I like myself. I get a bit irritated at those two Brits that do that show (can't remember the name for the life of me) where they go to malls and shopping centers and take apart some unsuspecting soul because their wardrobe is dowdy or whatever. These people go to the mall in jeans and a t-shirt and these women put them in dressy dresses and high heels etc. What insane woman goes shopping in heels and foo foo dresses? I think it is insulting and I would hate to have them come up to me as I might give them a sock in the kisser. I saw them on Oprah doing a show about bras and they put their hands on some ladie's breasts and she was in a department store shoe section waiting to try on shoes. I would have smacked them a good one for that. In another one, they stripped the woman as she came off the escalator! Talke about who is tacky!

Marsha: have a fun weekend.

Jacque: I heard a lady and her grown dd talking behind me in the soft drink aisle at the commissary and they were saying how this ladie's husband drinks 3-4 cases of coke a WEEK! Brother, even I in my bad days didn't do that! He must pee caffeine!

Susan/ VA: I haven't heard of those scales, but I think they would be good for someone who has problems with water retention or even high blood pressure as a lot of times they will put someone on a diuretic when they are on BP meds. I am.

Not much else going on. I better go check the mail

Faye ;)

Scuzin
07-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Hello Ladies

Yesterday was not happy...guess that's my folly for the week! I spent the morning very ill because I decided to go overboard the night before.

I'm excited because I have a friend coming in tonight that I haven't seen in well over a year. We have known each other since second grade.

Wish me luck. I'm starting my application for the Jesuit Volunteers which I plan to do after graduation next year. Its a year long program where you are put in a house with a few other people in the same program and you are set up with a job doing social work and services in areas of need.

Amanda, so glad to hear that things are looking up. I guess I haven't mentioned this to any one here yet but I too suffer from depression and am being medicated for anxiety. I'm very happy things are changing for the better

gma22
07-30-2005, 08:40 AM
DO NOT POST HERE BUT JOIN US AT #110