Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #1  

Default Chicken breast recipes

Hi all! Meijers had bone-in chicken breasts on sale for .99lb. I picked up 4 packages (the most I spent on any one was $2.49). Each package has 3 huge chicken breasts in it.

Any suggestions for easy recipes? I did one package in the crock-pot yesterday with garlic powder and mushroom soup.

Now I'm stumped.

Thanks for your input!

Kel
Old 07-19-2005, 02:23 PM   #2  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

I like a simple chic breast sandwich - take a 4 oz portion and slice (fillet) about 1/4 inch thick, put some no cal butter spray in a skillet and season chic with garlic powder and lemon pepper, grill quickly - takes like 5 mins to be done and put on some multi grain bread (nutty kind with seeds) add 1-2 tbsp of 2g fat mayo and some lettuce - yummy
Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 PM   #3  
Working My Way Back Down

Grilled! You can do some to eat for dinner, and another (or 2) to cut up and have cold on salad or in a sandwich. I also like a recipe from WW which does them, along with mushrooms, in a frying pan using balsamic vinegar and mustard for a sauce.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #4  

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to try them this weekend!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:41 PM   #5  
jmuns79

make the diet coke recipe. it's under WW poultry recipes in the forum. you cook the chicken with one can of diet coke and a cup of ketchup. it tastes a bit like bbq sauce. excellent.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:58 PM   #6  

Hi Kel
Just wondering what part of Michigan you are in?? I am over near Grand Rapids, just south of there. Would love to have a goal buddy that's close!!!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:20 PM   #7  

Hi Rosiesgirl! I'm in Stevensville. You're about 90 minutes away from us. You want to buddy up?

Kel
Old 07-21-2005, 08:00 AM   #8  

Default chicken breast in apple cider sauce

I got this from Cooking Light (which I've found have a lot of hit or miss recipes.. but this was a major hit!)

I can find the actual recipe if you are interested. (We moved this week so I cant reference it right now)

The idea is, you dice up a couple slices of bacon and fry them in a skillet, then use that skillet to cook some chicken breasts (I pound mine thin for quick-cooking so they stay moist) then you take the chicken breasts off and cover them to keep warm/moist. In the pan you use the leftover drippings, etc to make a sauce based with the bacon you fried earlier, onions, and apple cider. Each portion gets 2 TB of sauce.

It's to die for. I've made it multiple times because I loved it so much. The bacon is the only fat you add to the entire dish and since you arent using that much, it doesnt pack on the calories/fat. If anyone is interested in the full recipe let me know. I made this a lot after the holidays to use up the cider we had.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #9  
Oddball

S/C/G: 185/157.4/135

Oh my gosh, I'm actually drooling...

Teckeygirl, if you can find that recipe, I'd love to have it! Will turkey bacon work?
Old 07-21-2005, 10:54 AM   #10  

I AM drooling! Yeah Tec, pretty please find the recipe! It sounds awesome
Old 07-22-2005, 02:25 AM   #11  

Things I do with chicken breasts:

Coat with lemon pepper, then bake till done. Glaze each breast with about a teaspoon of apricot jam. Yum.

The rest of these assumes the chicken is already cooked. I just roast in the oven till done, then cool and fridge.

Take small breast, about 150 grams, (about 5 ounces, I think) and dice small. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of diet mayo, a stalk of celery diced fine, and about 3 ounces of pineapple tidbits, also diced up (I just use one of those small juice pack containers, the kind that you might pack up in a lunch, drained.) Excellent stuffed into a whole wheat pita, but I'm sure you can find other applications.

Shred (or dice small) one small breast, mix in small pan with 2 or 3 tablespoons of barbeque sauce, heat till reduced to your liking, serve over a whole wheat split English muffin. I don't care about my sodium intake, so I eat this with a dill pickle on the side.

Dice one breast, put in small pan. Add 1 or 2 tablespoons teriaki sauce, juice of half a lemon, and a couple good handfuls of frozen brocoli (or whatever vegs you have on hand). Heat till veggies are done. Good with brown rice, though I'm sometimes unconventional and eat with a big (5 oz.) side of cooked green peas.

Chop half a small onion. Mince a clove or two of garlic. Cook till done with just a bit of pam, or other oil in small amount. Dice one breast, put in small pan. Add a small (6 oz?) can of V8, some salsa (about 1/4 cup? I never measure), and chili powder (hot sauce to taste if you want more heat). Cook for a few minutes till it reduces down. Great over baked potatoes (or sweet potato, but I might be a bit weird in this). Good topped with lowfat chedder cheese.

There you go. 5 things to do with chicken breasts, and each tastes vastly different from each other.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 07-22-2005 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2005, 04:36 AM   #12  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

1. With a sharp knife, slit the chicken breast through the middle to make a 'pocket'. Mix some fat free soft cheese (I use Philadelphia FF) with some crushed garlic, or a teaspoon of pesto, or mixed herbs ... anything that you like really ... then stuff it into the chicken breast and sort of wrap it up so that the filling doesn't leak out when cooking. Bake in the oven 190' for about 35 minutes ... delicious served with a nice side salad or veg.

2. Wrap a slice or two of smoked back bacon around a chicken breast and bake in the oven ... the smokey flavour goes into the chicken and is really tasty.

3. Slice chicken breast thinly and stir fry with a little spray oil, then add some sliced mushrooms and stir fry for a couple of minutes. Add a teaspoon or two of pesto, then add a couple of tbsp of fat free soft cheese and stir until it melts. Then add some skimmed milk a bit at a time until you get the required consistency for a 'sauce'. Stir into some cooked pasta and serve on its own or with salad.

4. Rub chicken breast with cajun spice mix (or any other herb/spice that you like), bake in the oven, then slice thinly put on top of a bed of romaine lettuce tossed with fat free/low fat dressing of your choice.

5. Using spray oil, stir fry chopped onion, garlic, and sliced red & green peppers (capsicum) until soft, keep warm. Then fry sliced chicken breast and add to the onion/peppers. Stir in a can of chopped tomatoes, oregano, black pepper; bring to the boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes. Add a few black olives towards end of cooking. Delicious seved with rice or pasta and salad.

Enjoy!!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #13  

Thank you all for the great suggestions! I've printed out this thread and have added them to my recipe book.

Can't wait to get cookin'!
Old 07-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #14  
stbakd

Thumbs up chicken parmigana

coat 4 chicken breasts with shake and bake. cook 40 min. then spread tomato sauce and mozzerella cheese on top and bake 5 min more. serve with a salad, veggies or pasta. manga (eat in italian) ps use boneless skinless. glen
Old 07-23-2005, 07:10 PM   #15  
Empress/Queen

Two chicken breast "steaks" chopped into big rough chunks, stir fried with a plum tomato and jarred mushrooms (I use whole), a sprinkle of curry powder added.

Chicken breasts sauted with a little water and good brown mustard with whole jarred mushrooms, cook till very brown and mushrooms crusty, add more water and mustard as needed.
Closed Thread