Exercise! - Cool Runners #15 July 18-24

View Full Version : Cool Runners #15 July 18-24

Ilene
07-18-2005, 01:03 PM
Hey Runners :wave: Sorry I'm late to start the thread...New week new goals, what are yours this week? Mine are just to beat the heat, running at the gym I guess :shrug:

:coach: Next !!

Only Me
07-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Rest day for me today. And I'm glad--the temp only went down to 24C overnight, and it's incredibly humid and 30 now. It's been raining on and off since late last night, but it's just as hot and more humid than ever rather than cooling off a bit.

Rest of the week--get back into my training schedule after last week's mini-taper and Saturday's race. I did run an easy 5k Sunday to stretch out my leg muscles, which seemed to help, but my quads are still a bit sore.

skinnyjeans
07-18-2005, 04:19 PM
Mine are just to get my running in, inlcuding at least one long run. No gym option here so I will be dragging myself out of bed before work. As I haven't been sleeping well lately this is going to be extra difficult this week. Already tired and its only Monday!

sugarbianca
07-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Mine is just to succesfully complete week 2 of the couch potato to 5k training program, so far so good, I'm finding now that i'm not so out of breath after each running interval, it takes restraint not to go more than I'm supposed to.

paperclippy
07-19-2005, 09:23 AM
My goal this week is to make sure I don't get too sore from circuit training to run! I don't remember if I mentioned it or not, but we got a new circuit training instructor, and the class is WAY harder with her. After Thursday's class my legs were so sore I could barely walk. Yesterday I managed about 2.5 miles, and today my legs feel fine, but I'm hoping that after this week's classes I will not be too sore for my Friday and/or weekend runs.

Only Me - congrats on the race!!

Only Me
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
A little over 5k this morning. At 6am it was so hot and humid that it was like running and trying to breath underwater. So I cut short my planned 8k. I did go for about a 8k walk with the girls in the double stroller, so I figure I've more than made up the 3k exercise wise. But I hear thunder out there in the distance now, so hopefully we'll get a bit of relief soon.

YP1
07-19-2005, 02:06 PM
Today was mainly walking, with about 10 minutes of fast intervals, a fair bit faster than I usually run. I'm trying to mix it up a bit so that I don't get too bored.

Shalia
07-19-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm starting week 2. I should also be going back to work so that presents its own challenges, like finding a good TIME to run. *sigh*

But I'm gonna do it. :) Thanks for starting up this new thread. *hugs*

Oh, and goal: water. I don't drink NEARLY enough. This is a sad goal, but I'm going to make it 42oz water per day to start with. I doubt I drink 1/2 that most days. So there's my goal. :)

GLTA!

LeanneM83
07-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Hey Ladies

Well, I am still loving my running program, today is a tempo run, which is good for 45 minutes of running....I was having some soreness in my left hamstring....hopefully, it goes away today...**fingers crossed**

Happy Wednesday everyone

Leanne

CW 114.5

sugarbianca
07-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Hey Ladies,
I'm just back from workout 2 of week 2. I pressed the snooze button on my alarm this morning so ending up leaving at 6:30 instead of the planned 4:30, but at least it was not as warm as the past few mornings have been.

Shalia - Yup you can do it, good luck we're about the same place in the training program.

paperclippy
07-20-2005, 09:06 AM
4k this morning . . . I intended to do 5, but I was so tired for some reason! I was slow too, 33 minutes. Oh well, at least I did something, right? Tomorrow is legs day in circuit training, I'm hoping I will be less sore than last week!

Ilene
07-20-2005, 09:14 AM
Since I'm a wuss I will go to the gym and do the dreadmill :tread: ....

YP1
07-20-2005, 02:26 PM
I've just been for a jog outside in the park, exploring some new paths (and ending up a bit further away from home than I intended!) I don't actually know how far it was, but I was out for about 50 minutes (although I did walk some of it at the end as a bit of a cool down). I usually run on the treadmill, but I've been intending to get some outside running in for a while so I'm really glad I've finally done it.

Ilene
07-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Today was the dread:tread:mill....

skinnyjeans
07-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Ran outside last night. Ended up stopping at 5k instead of my intended 7k because of the heat.

Definitely the time has come for new shoes. Even though I shortened my run I could feel it in my legs.

SJ

Only Me
07-21-2005, 11:03 AM
10k this morning went well. The temperature was down and my legs have recovered from the weekend. Guess I've made my goal of getting back into my training schedule. Now to keep it up.

Ilene
07-21-2005, 02:23 PM
OnlyMe --This morning WAS awesome weather for running, unfortunately I was driving over to my dad for his appointment and when I got back at 10AM it was way too hot to run so I opted for gardening instead...plus I've had a headache since yesterday and I don't run well or do weights when I have a headache...

ellenuw
07-22-2005, 08:06 AM
Still sticky, hot and humid here. I have done all my mid-week runs on the treadmill. I jsut realized the antibiotic I am on says to avoid prolonged exposure to the sun. So, I guess I will do tomorrow's 10-miler on the treadmill, too. Oh, darn - now I need to go download the latest Sophie Kinsella from audible to listen to tomorrow during my 10-miler (I only use my mp3 indoors). :D

skinnyjeans
07-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Bought new shoes last night! :D Going to try them out this weekend, but probably not tonight because of the weather

OnlyMe-Glad to hear you have recovered and are back on track

Ilene- I usually find it very difficult to work out with a headache as well. Everyting else seems to improve when I work out though. Hope you feel better

Ellen- I gues 10 miles would be considered prolonged exposure. :lol: At least you get new music for running the dreadmill. That is a good way to pass the time more quickly.

WaterRat
07-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Oh Ellen, let me know how that one is. I've been considering it, but opted for Lisa Scottoline's new one instead. I swear I should just sign my paycheck over to Audible. :lol: Our library system is considering offering books for download (free to library patrons). You might see if yours offers this service. It's pretty new - like within the last year - but a number of larger library systems already have it up and running.

Ilene
07-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Ellen -- Good luck on doing a 10 miler on a dreadmill :faint:

AnneWonders
07-22-2005, 05:53 PM
I think I've officially given up. 110F temps, humidity creeping up, and 7 months of pregnancy have pretty much left me sprawled on the couch watching the Tour de France, and counting the 3 trips/hour to the bathroom as my exercise. I get out my jogging stroller and show it to my dogs once in a while, look at my marathon medal, and weep. I no longer fit on any bicycle, moving or stationary that I have access to, and I appear to be the only pregnant person in the world who finds swimming to be uncomfortable. So I sprawl.

I MISS RUNNING!

You ladies keep going. You inspire me. Soon I'll be back among you. I'll delurk once in a while to whine for myself and/or cheer for you all.

Anne

Ilene
07-22-2005, 07:07 PM
AWWW Anne :grouphug:... Soon this will all be a dim memory hang in there ... When I was pregnant I just didn't want to be seen in a bathing suit so there was no way I was going swimming, everyone would have claimed : ''Beached whale, beached whale!!'' :lol3:

AnneWonders
07-22-2005, 07:21 PM
I keep thinking I look like a beach ball. Swim like one too, now. Ack!

Only Me
07-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Anne, I've had 3 end of January babies in a climate where -30C temps at that time of year are not unusual. 2/3 times, I didn't have a coat that could fasten in front by December. The last two months of my pregnancies, walking through malls was pretty much the only exercise I got. Do what you can and don't worry too much about what you can't manage. You'll be back into walking, running, biking and swimming before you know it.

YP1
07-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Good start to the weekend, I've just been out to the park and done a nice run for just over an hour, about 5.5 miles. I did most of the route on Wednesday and worked it out at 4, and I added a circuit round a fairly big lake today to add a bit of distance. I'm slowly weaning myself off the treadmill, and enjoying seeing the local area.

Ilene
07-23-2005, 03:24 PM
I had an EXCELLENT run today finally!! Ahhhh, how it felt good :D .... I have no idea how far I went, but I was out for an hour and a half and did fartleks, running from shade tree to shade tree... In my mind I had a blast :lol:....

ellenuw
07-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Anne - my thoughts are with you ... just a little while more :^:

Sounds like everyone has had great runs this weekend. My treadmill 10 miles was OK, not nearly as much fun as outside, but I got it done at about the same time (2:20) and the book on tape sure helped. I usually listen to nonfiction, but decided this was "special" and went right to chick lit (which I read, just not on tape) - it was fluffy enough that I could zone out but stirring enough to keep me interested for over 2 hours. I'm looking forward to more during my mid-week training runs.

Only Me
07-24-2005, 09:25 AM
Yesterday was an easy 6k and this morning was long run day. I ended up doing just under 24k/15 miles. My longest run yet. The weather was beautifully cool and sunny with only enough of a breeze to make running more pleasant. I picked up a new pair of shoes yesterday, but didn't try them out this morning since I didn't want to risk a new pair on a long run. Something to look forward to tomorrow or Tuesday.

Ellen, I don't blame you for going for the chick lit, 2:20 is a long time to spend on a treadmill!

YP1--Good you you for getting out there and enjoying the scenery!

Ilene, it's always good to enjoy your exercise.

paperclippy
07-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Oh man, I feel like I have totally fallen off the running bandwagon because I haven't run since Wednesday! :lol: After Thursday's circuit training class, my inner thighs were so sore there was no way I was going to run Friday. And then yesterday, I went to the beach all day! So no running here. Tomorrow I will be back on schedule though.

Glad to hear everyone else got some great runs in!

sugarbianca
07-24-2005, 08:10 PM
I just started wk 3 of the cp25k and so far so good, i'm looking foward to next week!!