Weight Loss Surgery - tummy tuck anyone

View Full Version : tummy tuck anyone

Deelite
07-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Hi

I am going to see a surgeon today for a tummy tuck and lipo? Have any of you been through this? I am also considering a breast lift. Any info from you if you have been though this would be appreciated.

MrsJim
07-18-2005, 01:21 PM
Have you checked out this thread in Maintainers?

Weight Loss & Skin FAQ (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040)

sfmarbury
07-19-2005, 01:54 PM
I had tummy tuck w/lipo. Compared to Gastric - piece of cake. Seriously, it was done out patient - I was in the hospital overnight, but only 23 hours total, so it cost less. I've even had a baby since my tummy tuck and I'm still flat!

Good luck!

Deelite
07-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Thank you for your replies. Mrs.Jim I looked up that thread and asked a lot of the questions when I seen the surgeon yesterday. Sonni I have not talked to anyone that has had a tummy tuck and lipo. Do you mind me asking what weight you were when you had it? If you want pm me. How long ago did you have it and how are your scars? It is the scars that scare me. When I seen the surgeon he said that it is done in their clinic and I will go home the same day. Any tips that you have would greatly be appreciated.

MrsJim
07-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Thank you for your replies. Mrs.Jim I looked up that thread and asked a lot of the questions when I seen the surgeon yesterday. Sonni I have not talked to anyone that has had a tummy tuck and lipo. Do you mind me asking what weight you were when you had it? If you want pm me. How long ago did you have it and how are your scars? It is the scars that scare me. When I seen the surgeon he said that it is done in their clinic and I will go home the same day. Any tips that you have would greatly be appreciated.

Well, it's been over a year and a half since my FTT and over two years since my lipo so I think that (even though I'm not Sonni) I can give you my response.

I was 152 lb when I had both surgeries (best guess there - that was my average weight at the time). My PS took out 5,000 cc's of fat from my thigh/hip/buttock area. (that's generally the max safe limit). I had a few tiny scars where the cannula was inserted but they're pretty much gone now - if I SEARCH for them I can find them, but I have to search.

In retrospect, today I probably would pass on the lipo and have had a thigh lift instead since I have some loose skin in that area. I'm not sure what part of your body you're planning on having lipo done but if it's the thigh area, and you've lost a LOT of weight - you might want to ask your surgeon about having a thigh lift rather than lipo, otherwise you might not be happy with the results (I'm okay with mine but one of these days - when I win the lotto :lol: I want to go all the way and have the thighs lifted, but I was fortunate in that I didn't have nearly as much loose skin as many people I've seen on the internet, etc.)

My FTT was in early Dec 2003 - I still have a scar, but it doesn't bother me as it's under the 'bikini line' so it's not like anyone sees it - besides I can tell it's growing fainter with time (also I used silicone sheeting as soon as the stitches were out and I was healed up to help hasten the scar fading process - I'd personally advise against ointments and gels such as Mederma as they need to be reapplied frequently throughout the day and tend to get messy). I'm VERY happy with the results of my tummy tuck :)

Final advise - do a TON of research, spend as much time as you need finding an ethical doctor that you can TRUST and who answers your questions (keep in mind that a lot of plastic surgeons will not operate unless you have maintained a stable weight - not necessarily a 'goal weight' - for a certain amount of time - usually at least six months to a year), and did I mention research?? :lol:

Deelite
07-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks Mrs Jim. I did not realize that you also had surgery. Your info was informative. I have maintained my weight of 145 for 3 years. I will have lipo on my stomach area. My stomach skin is stretched from pregnacies. It has like that for 20 years so it is time to get it fixed. My surgeon was recommended to me from my family doctor. he is suppose to be one of the best in the city. I am going to check into that silicone sheeting. I don't think that we have it in Canada. How long did you use the sheeting? The surgeon mentioned something about sylicone but I think that it is an oinment.
Thanks again for the info. I feel more comfortable knowing that some has gone through the same thing and has seen good results.

MrsJim
07-20-2005, 02:06 PM
Thanks Mrs Jim. I did not realize that you also had surgery. Your info was informative. I have maintained my weight of 145 for 3 years. I will have lipo on my stomach area. My stomach skin is stretched from pregnacies. It has like that for 20 years so it is time to get it fixed. My surgeon was recommended to me from my family doctor. he is suppose to be one of the best in the city. I am going to check into that silicone sheeting. I don't think that we have it in Canada. How long did you use the sheeting? The surgeon mentioned something about sylicone but I think that it is an oinment.
Thanks again for the info. I feel more comfortable knowing that some has gone through the same thing and has seen good results.

I didn't have WLS but did have PS. ;)

About the sheeting - you should be able to find some scar reduction products at your pharmacy. Neosporin (http://www.neosporin.com/scarsolution/scarsolution.asp?sec=0&page=0&from=0) makes one (although you will probably need more than one box!), also Band-Aid (http://www.bandaid.com/scar_healing.shtml) makes one too. I did use the ointment for a bit, but it was SO messy and had to be reapplied throughout the day. My surgeon recommended BioDermis (http://www.biodermis.com/) strips.

Deelite
07-21-2005, 06:49 PM
Mrs Jim excuse my ignorance but I don't know what it PS. I understand that WLS must stand for weight loss surgery, correct? I lost 30 pounds, but had stomach damage from my pregnancies almost 20 years ago. Thanks for the info on scar reduction products I will check it out. I clicked on your picture, you look marvelous. I am sure that you muct feel great.

Thanks again, Dee

omyomy
07-21-2005, 08:29 PM
I too wanted to have something done. my lower abs have always been big even when i was 110 lbs. i want that gone and the pockets by your hips. also wouldn't mind a breast lift but would most likely have to have implants as well as i don't think a lift will do.

how long were you laid up and how much did it cost, if i'm not being too nosey...

MrsJim
07-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Mrs Jim excuse my ignorance but I don't know what it PS. I understand that WLS must stand for weight loss surgery, correct? I lost 30 pounds, but had stomach damage from my pregnancies almost 20 years ago. Thanks for the info on scar reduction products I will check it out. I clicked on your picture, you look marvelous. I am sure that you muct feel great.

Thanks again, Dee

PS = plastic surgery
WLS = weight loss surgery

MrsJim
07-21-2005, 08:57 PM
I too wanted to have something done. my lower abs have always been big even when i was 110 lbs. i want that gone and the pockets by your hips. also wouldn't mind a breast lift but would most likely have to have implants as well as i don't think a lift will do.

how long were you laid up and how much did it cost, if i'm not being too nosey...

For my TT, I took 3 weeks off work, but I was up and around in a few days (not really 'up and around' as I had to deal with drains for a week afterwards and my surgeon said no working out for 5 weeks following surgery, but I could drive). I was off my pain meds within a week following surgery.

Cost differs depending on the surgeon and where you live - I happen to live in a high-cost area - the Midwest would probably be less expensive than California or NY. My TT cost me $7k for the surgery plus I had to pay the surgery center separately for the anesthesia and OR.

omyomy
07-22-2005, 12:55 PM
how do they determine if you need a TT or lipo? my lower abs extend about 1 inch so would i need a TT or lipo do you think. and unfortunately i'm in ca so it'll cost more.

MrsJim
07-22-2005, 01:53 PM
how do they determine if you need a TT or lipo? my lower abs extend about 1 inch so would i need a TT or lipo do you think. and unfortunately i'm in ca so it'll cost more.

You would probably need to consult with a plastic surgeon initially.

If you have stretch marks in the belly area, it's probably safe to say that you're looking at a TT - if the surgeon only does lipo, then you'll end up with loose, saggy skin.

SoCal has TONS of PS's, so you shouldn't have any problem finding one that you're comfortable with :)

sfmarbury
07-28-2005, 02:21 PM
Sorry about my delay in replying - been out of work with a sick little girl. Let's see - I weight 176lb. when I had the surgery (sounds heavy, but actually a really good weight for me). I had it done in 1998 - a little over a year after surgery. Scars are so slight - all in my bikini line and a super little because the lipo made it so there was no stretching pressure on the scar line. Hope that helps!

alaskagirl
07-28-2005, 03:07 PM
I had a tummy tuck almost 2 years ago. I can't imagine being sent home the first day! I was in alot of pain.... I did go home the following afternoon but if it didn't cost additional I really would have stayed another night......
I found the first 3 days terrible and thought that it wouldn't have been more painful than my C-section, but it was.
Would I do it again? Absolutely!!
I was about 145lbs when I got it done, I had lipo in my hips which I wouldn't do again I find it kind of made them look bumpy?? I should have just kept exercising and eating right and get there on my own, by my stomach was beyond excersize to repair.
The scar is low and sure it doesn't look great but it beats the blubber that hung there and in clothes it looks good. I loved wearing jeans with a belt again!!

Ditzy Blonde
08-01-2005, 01:20 AM
Wow such info. I am scheduled for my TT in 11 days. I too am staying only 1 night. I am having a extended TT and some lipo during surgery. I worry about that pain thing as well. Doctor told me 3 weeks off work, are needed. Hopefully I will be up and about within a few days like Mrs Jim. Its been 1-1/2 years since WLS. I had lost 144 lbs.

Deelite
08-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info. One other question I have is after the tt if I lost weight would it affect the look of the tt?

Good Luck DITZY BLOND. Please let me know how you have done. I am going in Aug 31. I too am afraid of the pain. I have had chronic back pain for over a year with two back surgeries in that time. I am nervous wondering if I can cope with all the pain. I guess it is only for a short time and the rewards should out weigh it.

Thanks again everyone.

Dee

MrsJim
08-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Thanks to everyone for the info. One other question I have is after the tt if I lost weight would it affect the look of the tt?

Dee

That's a question you should DEFINITELY ask your potential surgeon.

If you haven't already done so, I would HIGHLY recommend going to the "Weight Loss and Loose Skin FAQ" thread which I linked to in my first post on this thread :) where you'll find some terrific links. I would also suggest reading up as much as you can on the procedure (check your library). One of the books I recommended - Two Girlfriends Get Real About Cosmetic Surgery is not only informative but a fun read as well! RESEARCH, RESEARCH, and then do some MORE research. If you know people who have had plastic surgery, ask them who their surgeon was and their opinions of the work, etc. (I had an easy time in selecting a surgeon - she did my mom's reconstructive breast surgery after her masectomy so I knew she did great work). There are a LOT of plastic surgeons around - I think that it's essential not only to get someone who does great work, but a surgeon who explains things to you and doesn't BS around.

The website tuckthattummy.com has a questionnaire you can print out and use when you go to consult with a surgeon initially. Also (for Ditzy Blonde) there is a SHOPPING LIST of stuff to buy that you will want to have around when you get home from the surgery center or hospital - I'd HIGHLY advise printing it out and starting to assemble what you'll need to have on hand ;)

Also a little tip - if you're taking combinations of pain pills, try and stop one of them as soon as you can, because they can make you very constipated (speaking from agonizing personal experience here!) and I'm telling you, when your stomach muscles are freshly sutured, you might experience a bit of difficulty (well maybe more than just a bit!) doing your bathroom business... :lol:

Oh and DB - Good luck! Check in at the Maintainers Forum and let Meg, Mel and I know how it went! :)

daisygurl
08-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Hi Deelite!
I had my tummy tuck with muscle tightening done 12/2004, yes it was about the same amount of pain and uncomfortableness as my gastric bypass, because I had open surgery, and for my tummy tuck I opted for the anchor cut style so I was cut from breast bone to pubic bone and from hip to hip. I just recommend askign as many questions as you can about the procedures you are interested in and ask them what type of result you can expect to achieve. Good Luck!

mscat816
08-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Hi - I had a TT w/lipo in December 04. I was off work about 3 weeks - then went back half days for the first week. My TT was done at the clinic and I went home a couple of hours. Similar to my C-Section but more intense on the recovery. If you live alone - you will need help at home 24 hours for the first couple of days but after than you can manage as long as you don't overdo - NO BENDING, LIFTING, ETC! Emptying and protecting the drains was interesting and challenging to say the least.

My scar is very neat and also below the bikini line - I don't have any feeling in a small area between the navel and the suture line. That is weird but I am getting over it. My flat tummy is a thing of beauty and was totally worth it.

I agree about the pain pills - I only took a few the first couple of days and my nurses said that helped me in recovering quickly. The more help you have so that you don't strain yourself when getting up and down, the less you will need the pain pills. I was required to get up walk around the house within a day or two to prevent blood clots. The walking to and from the bathroom etc. was not as painful as the transitioning. Thank goodness my DH and DDs were there to help me. You don't realizie how much you use your stomach muscles to get out of a chair or bed!

Good luck!

mscat

Deelite
08-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Thank you for the encouraging words and advise, mscat and Daisygurl. My big day is next wednesday. I am nervous but also can't wait to have it over and done with and see some results. I know that there will be swelling for up to six months but after that it will show its rewards. How long did you girls have swelling? Changing the bag for the drains will be my hubbys job. I hope that he can do it because he is a quizzey kind of guy. My scar will be from hip to hip. Hopefully it will be as good as yours mscat. Thanks for the luck. I will post when I am up to it after surgery and let you know how I do.

Ditzy Blonde
08-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Deelite
The tummy tuck was not as much pain as I thought it would be. I had problems with the drains. Please make every effort not to pull them out, or if you move a lot in your sleep be sure to pin them to your support garment, not you PJ"s. I managed to loose all 4 drains before it was time. I am now just two weeks out of surgery, and I must continue to wear the compression garment 24 hours a day, and have strict orders to rest with my feet up. I have to be tapped to get the drainage out of me. Doctor says this will be done 3 times before putting the drains back in. A small bit of surgery from what he tells me.
My misgivings was that I was feeling so well, I went for a walk, and did too much too fast. Be sure to rest. Even if you feel good. It is very important.

Deelite
08-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Ditzy Blond I am glad that you were not in as much pain as you expected. I will be careful with the drains, I didn't realize that the drains were so important. How are you feeling this week? I hope that you are feeling great and healing well.
Tomorrow is my big day and I am really nervous. You did encourage me with how well you felt after. Hopefully I will recover quickly like you.