Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-15-2005, 09:47 PM   #1  

Question Protein shake question

Hi all,

I spent hours online today looking for my favorite soy protein shake powder (Protein Plus Soy by MetRx) only to learn that it is no longer made. Grrrrr! I loved it because it had 2g fiber, 0g sugar (had nutrasweet), 1.5g fat, and 27g of heart healthy soy, plus lots of vitamins and minerals and calcium. I went to the GNC store and read labels, but couldn't find anything that meets all my criteria. I looked online reading about various products until I can't see straight with no luck. Can anyone suggest anything close to what I'm looking for? I'd be willing to go with whey protein if I could find it with no sugar and low fat.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can offer.
Leslie0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 05:50 AM   #2  
Meg

Leslie - don't you just hate it when they stop making one of your staples?? It drives me bananas!

When you were searching around, did you run across this page from Netrition.com? It lists all the soy protein powder that they carry and the nutritional labels so you might be able to find a match for your old stuff. I didn't check through them all but the Zone protein powder looks like it's a soy-whey blend with no fat and no carbs.

Good luck in your search!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #3  

I sometimes use a GeniSoy Ultra XT powder -- it is unflavored and therefore has no sweetener and no carbohydrate, and has 25g protein and 5g fiber per 100-calorie serving. I buy mine at the supermarket for cheaper than they sell it online. This variety also comes flavored with different nutritional stats, so be sure you look for the unflavored one: https://mlo-siteserver.com/productde...part_no=004105.

You could also look at www.proteinfactory.com. They not only have pure powders you can buy, and pre-mixed formulas, but you can concoct your own forumlation. Pretty cool.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 10:14 AM   #4  

Default Thanks for the help! (and a quick introduction)

Thanks for the help. I've enjoyed reading some of the posts in this forum. My DH just started the SBD last Monday, and I've been reading and posting over at "the beach" all week. He lost over 100 lbs 7 years ago just by reducing portion size and making low fat choices. He also started playing more and more tennis as the weight came off and he felt more energetic. He's gradually gained back about 15-20 lbs and wanted to try SBD to get back to where he was. For myself, I'm not trying to lose weight - only attempting to eat more healthfully. I am borderline underweight, and eat lots of sugar, carbs and processed foods (when I remember to eat at all!)

Reading the posts here, has gotten me more motivated to stay in the gym. I tore my ACL and had surgery in March of 2004. I worked VERY hard at physical therapy for 4 months and then took that 3x weekly habit into the gym when formal PT was over. My motivation was to keep my knee healthy (and to get my left thigh back to the same size as my right. DAMN that atrophy!) I figured as long as I was there, I'd start working upper body to help out my tennis game. I saw some nice definition in my arms and legs and was pleased with the changes. Once I got back to playing tennis 5-6 times per week, I dropped back to 2x week strength training workouts. Now with summer and being busy with my kids I've dropped to 1x week. I haven't seen any loss of definition yet, but it's probvably right around the corner. Y'all have inspired me to at least get back to twice a week. I have to admit, though, that even after 18 months of regular weight training, I STILL don't enjoy it. What's the key to having fun with it? Tennis is fun. I can play for 3 hours in the 95 degree heat, but I have to FORCE myself to do weights for 90 minutes.

Well, that was longer than I planned on. Thanks for inspiring me! I'll be lurking and sometimes posting. Have a great weekend!
Leslie0246 is offline   Reply With Quote