South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:59 PM   #1  
going places

Lightbulb Just starting - would love to find a group

Looking for support....help??

I've always been overweight, even as a child. I remember starting my first diet at age 12 weighing 175 pounds. As an adult I have never been lower than that original starting 'diet' weight of 175. After my first pregnancy I found myself over the 300 mark. One day while looking through some photos at my mom's house I found one that she had snapped for me - I couldn't believe how fat I really was. I started the Atkins diet immediately and lost over 100 pounds in a little over a year. Problem was I always seemed to skirt within about 20-30 pounds from my goal weight. Over the last 10 years I've yo yo'd from 187 - 235 pounds. I've tried losing on Atkins again and again hoping for the same results that I had gotten that first time with no luck at all. I can be deep into ketosis for weeks and not drop a pound - it's as if my body has literally become immuned to the diet.

Today I hurt, literally hurt. The lugging around of these extra pounds has taken it's toll on my body and I know that it's only going to get worse if I do not address this NOW. I've heard many good things about the South Beach Diet and am just starting phase I with high hopes. It seems like a plan that one can stick to for the long haul while making life long changes in the way one eats. I've come to realize that, for me, an exercise regimen needs to be implemented right along with the right eating plan to get the results that I want. I'm walking 45 minutes a day with no excuses first thing in the morning. I find that if I put off the exercise until later in the day that it just doesn't happen. Exercise first thing in the morning also has a very positive influence on my whole day.

So, here I go.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:22 PM   #2  

Thumbs up Hi there... Only been here since yesterday BUT...

the women on this Board seem be really great!!! I like this group and plan to keep posting... IF you need someone to talk to off the Board just email me and if you have questions post them. Someone here is bound to know the answer.

I have been doing the South Beach Diet (SBD) for 11 days now and after the first few it became really easy and so far I have lost 8 pounds. It seems to really work like I never imagined it would and it really is true about the cravings for food... They just AREN'T there like with other Diets!!! I did WW 8 years ago when my twin boys were born and lost alot with that!!! But then about 2 years ago after I stopped breastfeeding my daughter I tried WW again without the same results... I was having cravings and since I was home instead of working full-time and the food was more accessible it was harder to stay away from it. I was getting near my Goal and then I went through a divorce and I stopped going and the weight just came back on... All 15 pounds that I had lost!!! Once things calmed down and me and the kids were settled in our new home I decided to try WW on my own and see if it would work again and it didn't ... I was getting so frustrated so I decided to try something else. And here I am!!! And I LOVE THE BEACH!!!!

Welcome and Good Luck in your Voyage onthe BEACH!!!

Merri
Old 07-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #3  

Hi there. I'm new to this forum also, just joined today. I have been lurking for a couple weeks though, getting some good recipes and ideas.

I started Phase I a little over two weeks ago. But I went out of town for 4 of those days and it was difficult to do the plan since we were eating out for every meal, so I've decided to continue for another week or two on Phase I. I had lost 8 lbs at the two-week mark. My sister also started SB last week and she lost 6 lbs her first week.

I've started a walking routine also. I got some of the Kathy Smith Walkfit CDs and put them on my Ipod. They're great for keeping you motivated and telling you how to walk properly, breathe, etc. They have a warmup, a fast and a cool down. I highly recommend them. Right now I'm on a 30-minute walking workout routine, but it works you up in increments.

It is SO hot and humid here in Houston right now, so I'm shopping for a treadmill. I think I will walk more if I'm more comfortable.

The hardest part for me has been not having someone supportive to do it with me. My sister lives over an hour away and I don't really get to see or talk to her that much. My husband, even though he needs to lose weight as badly as I do, is terrible about doing diets. He moans and complains about having to eat vegetables (he's never been a veggie person), and he doesn't like fish. I love fish, so it's easier for me I guess. He was/is a total sugar/bread/pasta junkie, and I know he cheats a lot when he's not at home. I just think it would be easier if I had someone who was totally committed to doing this and would help with the meals, the exercising, etc. But I'm determined to do it one way or another.

Do you guys have someone at home who is supportive of what you're doing and willing to do it with you?
Old 07-14-2005, 01:42 PM   #4  

Wink Cindy I guess I do someone supportive....

I mean my boyfriend is one of those people who can eat anything and everything and never gain a pound but he is VERY supportive of what I am doing and doesn't make fun or try to tempt me in any way when he is eating something that he knows is not permitted on the BEACH... He also will make me dishes here and there like last week when he made me a Shrimp Stir Fry dish with Mushrooms and Onions MMMMM Yummy!!! It was sooooo GOOD - he used to go to Culinary school and loves to Cook!!! So having his support is definitely a blessing!!!

It is really helpful to have someone to do it with but use the Board as your support if you don't have anyone at home to give you the support you need and if you would like to email me just to talk feel free!!!

Good Luck!!!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:56 PM   #5  
going places

Hi girls - I'm so glad someone replied

Honestly, I started SBD on the 5th and had three solid days with a 6 pound loss. The weekend came and I blew it big time. I've kinda spent the last few days moping and feeling sorry for myself and woke up this morning with a reality check. That's why I found it necessary to seek out others like myself - it's just too hard to do this alone.

I have a treadmill, a really nice one in fact. I actually prefer to walk outside, though. In Nebraska we have hot, hot summers and really cold winters so the treadmill is great when it's cold out. I live about 12 blocks from a beautiful park with a brand new trail/path that winds throughout it...if I start from my front door and walk to the park and walk the whole length of the trail and back home again it takes about 45 minutes.

My fiance and I have four boys in the house ranging from 10 to 17 all with huge appetites. I've decided that I'm cooking SB for everyone. If they don't like it then they can fend for themselves....HA!!!! The main thing is that I will put dinner on the table.

As far as support from home goes...it's hit and miss here. My fiance is also thin and seems to be able to eat anything without gaining an ounce. The great thing with him is that he'll eat anything and be happy...even my diet food.

I also need to address a long time 'emotional' eating problem I've had. Any ideas there?

Val
Old 07-14-2005, 04:46 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach. I am going to move this thread from the FAQ section into Fat Chicks On The Beach so you can meet the rest of this great group!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:55 PM   #7  
going places

Thanks Ruth
Old 07-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #8  

Hi Valerie and Welcome ! I'm sure any group on 3FC would love to have you ... but the beach got lucky . No matter where you surf or lurk or post, you will find support, a wealth of information on fitness, eating on plan strategies, and how 2s to deal with emotional eating.-- and great healthful receipes. I'm an emotional eater myself.. boredom, stress, anxiety, mindless nibbling. I found that Dr Phils 7 keys to weight loss was very helpful for me to understand the root of my eating, and I am on my journey learning how to deal effectively instead of destructively with it. I explore most all the "rooms" here at 3FCs.. I've learned so much from women who give freely of their lessons learned, good books on the science of food and the body, fitness tips..well, you name it. The daily threads are for those of us who check in or chat each day..help eachother stay OP, or lend a shoulder or give or get hugs. For me , coming here daily has really helped me stay the course...I hope this is some help to you...
Old 07-14-2005, 05:42 PM   #9  
Started SBD 1/26/04

Welcome to the beach Valerie, Merri, and Cindy. There is a lot of good information and support here.

Valerie I as well as many others on this site understand emotional eating. I think the biggest thing for me was to figure out that I do have an emotional eating problem. That was a biggy for me. The second was to figure out what was/would trigger my emotional eating and try to channell it into something more productive.

All my life I was rewarded for everything I did right with food. It is a hard habit to break (I will be 40 in October) but I think I am finally there. I love to read and crochet so when I reach a certain goal I have set for myself I get to go buy a new book (or 2 or 3) or go yarn and pattern shopping. Or if I have the time just set and read or crochet an extra hour.

For me the biggest thing was to figure out that I did have a problem and what the triggers were. Once I got to that point it has become more and more easy to avoid the triggers or channell them into something else.

Good Luck on the beach and feel free to ask/talk about anything.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:53 PM   #10  
cashmgrccm

S/C/G: 243/243/165

Height: 5'4"

Hi girls! I'm new here too. I started "my new way of eating" this past Sunday and have been doing rather well.

I originally lost all my weight a few years ago however gained back 30 after I quit smoking last July 24th....the day I turned 40. I finally have that kicked so now I need to get this weight off. I used the SBD to get off the last 15 previously so I thought that would be the best bet for me.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!
Old 07-14-2005, 06:07 PM   #11  

Height: 5'-2"

Welcome to all the new gals! It's great to have you here with us.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #12  
going places

I've toyed with the idea that my eating patterns are emotional for the last 6 months or so, but have not fully admitted it until recently. Even while sticking to a meal plan I can find myself eating emotionally, out of boredom or just because i feel like I 'need' to eat. Understand, that 'need' to eat doesn't necessarily mean that I'm hungry...it's more like an emotional pacifier to me I think.

I'm normally good in the morning through early afternoon. Once I hit 2-3pm I'm skating on thin ice, though. This time of day is the determining factor as to whether or not my day will be successful to me. It's 5:11pm here now and today I've made it through the danger zone, thank goodness. Funny thing is, I'm already scared of doing it again tomorrow. Reading the posts here has helped me today - and I'm sure I'll be using these posts to help me through the next few days as well while I work on alternative 'pacifiers' for my emotional eating.

Today I tried roasted chick peas....YUMMY!!! Oh my goodness...did I mention Yummy? They kinda reminded me of Corn Nuts in a way - very crunchy and satisfying. I'm definitely looking forward to discovering more healthy snacks like these

Val
Old 07-15-2005, 07:10 AM   #13  
Ready to Change

S/C/G: 170/160/125

Height: 5 ft

Welcome all you new chicks. Glad you found the beach.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:35 AM   #14  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Welcome new chickies!!
Closed Thread