General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:42 AM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Default Babysitting Rates?!

Alright I got up this morning and looked at the calender and on July 30th in my stepdads writing it says 'Jenny babysit Tommy-Lee' now Tommy is my little 9 year old brother, and usually my mom pays me an allowance every other week for putting him on the school bus during school, and she pays me more during the summer b/c I usually look after him every day, but my mom and my stepdad are seperating (thank god) don't worry she isn't upset, she is actually extremly happy, my brother is pretty excited as well. My stepdad is an a**hole, who thinks he is mr. perfect and never does anything wrong, my mom has waited 14 years for him to change (waaay to long in my opinion) and he hasn't, then he came home one day and I had to listen to him for about half an hour about HIS plans to leave b/c HE deserves to be happy, so my bf's mom had a house that was vacant so she lowered the rent and were moving in there on saturday, we found a place before my stepdad did and he has been giving my mom a very hard time these past few weeks b/c he probably thought my mom would beg him to stay (again b/c he thinks he is mr. perfect)

I could go on and on about things he has done and you would hate him as much as I do...but I will spare you.

Now he told my mom he only wants to see my brother 3 weekends out of the month b/c he "wants a life" he tried to get out of child support too, so a few weeks ago he asked my mom if I would look after Tommy for him on weekends (if he works overtime - he thinks he is going to be extremly hard up for money when he makes more than my mom and doesn't have 2 kids to look after, and if he wants to go out - when he is supposed to be visiting with his SON)

Anyway my mom told him no, the weekends are his responsibility he has to get a babysitter, and I told my mom that no I will not do it for him, why should I do him favours!? I'm doing it for her all summer though, for free, b/c she IS going to be hard up for money for a little while.

So when I saw that I was volunteered to look after my brother on a saturday (weekends are my only free time, except for the one weekend my mom has my brother) I was pissed, but then I got thinking, well maybe I will tell him that I will do it ONCE in a while but NOT for him, for my brother, b/c I know he would prefer to be with me than someone else, and I won't be doing it all the time b/c he is supposed to spend time with his son on weekends not pawn him off on people, and he has to pay me, let me know in advance, and I will ONLY do it if I feel like it or don't have plans.

So what I want to know is how much I should charge him per hour??? I don't pay for a babysitter, and usually if I do babysitting for people I don't charge them much b/c I know alot of people can't afford it but I don't want to be nice to him or do favours for him, so Im not going to be cheap for him either. Suggestions anyone? Thanks.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:30 PM   #2  
Collie Mommie

Since he's 9, I'd probably charge either $2 or $3 an hour, but I have not babysat for over 15 years, so that might be very low according to today's standards. I figure that way if you are with him all day, you can earn $20 - 30.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #3  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTHead
Since he's 9, I'd probably charge either $2 or $3 an hour, but I have not babysat for over 15 years, so that might be very low according to today's standards. I figure that way if you are with him all day, you can earn $20 - 30.
$2 or $3 would be pretty low, I know that my mom paid more than that a few years ago for a babysitter for my brother, and usually when I babysit I charge $3/hr per kid, but I don't want to be too cheap for my stepdad b/c I don't even have to do it at all, and I shouldn't. I don't want him to think Im doing him any favours and that I will do it all the time, when he should be spending time with his son. I was thinking maybe $5-$8, $8 is min. wage here. I would be looking after him for 8-9 hours, and saturdays are the only days that I would get all to myself usually, I could say $40 - $50 for the day, that's around $5.00 - $5.50/hr
Old 07-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #4  

I'd say the $40 to $50/day is fair if it's an all-day, during-the-day job. $8/hour at night or otherwise.

You could also call some child-care providers in the area and see what their rate/child is and get some ideas there.

Just curious: Who babysits your brother when your step-dad doesn't have him?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:12 PM   #5  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myself
I'd say the $40 to $50/day is fair if it's an all-day, during-the-day job. $8/hour at night or otherwise.

You could also call some child-care providers in the area and see what their rate/child is and get some ideas there.

Just curious: Who babysits your brother when your step-dad doesn't have him?
I babysit my brother whenever my mom works, so the one weekend my brother is home and if mom works I will be looking after him, right now I look after him every day (except saturdays and sundays) during the day until around 3:20 when my stepdad gets home, and it has always been that way during the summer, during school I looked after him in the mornings when mom left for work until he goes on the bus, mom usually works 8-5 most days, sometimes it is 8-4 or 7-3 or 7-4 or 2-10 and she gets 1 or 2 days off per week, so her schedule varies my stepdad works 7-3 monday - friday.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:22 PM   #6  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Definitely charge at least minimum wage. There's no reason you should get paid less than minimum wage. IMO, anyway.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #7  
updownupdownupDOWN!!!

I did regular babysitting for a family with a 11 year-old son about 2-4 years back. The mother paid me $8/hr (Canadian), which I felt was good. With the boy being 11 (and the older), I was having fun too, especially after I started going there on the weekends only (and thus didn't have to make him do homework, which was a pain).
The family could easily afford $8 and more, although I think it might have been a bit less for high school students (I was already in college). I had no prior paid baby-sitting experience, just spent a day or two with my cousin's kids sometimes.

I think asking him for at least minimum wage is totally fine. Or check what babysitters in your area make (go with agency rates - I know babysitters who work for $12 (3 kids) and ones who work for $5 (also 3 kids) and charge him as much as he would have to pay if he hired someone.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:03 AM   #8  
Learning To Fly...

Thanks everyone! you have been tons of help, I think I might charge him around $40-$50 for the day, which comes to around $5.00 or a bit more per hour.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:51 AM   #9  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

well being me and a bit of mercanary why not price him out. charge what ever you want he's putting you at an inconvienience and whats he gonna do if he doesn't pay you find another person? i'm sure the courts would love the fact he gets access but doesn't actually bother to spend any time with his son. i'd say at least 100 a day maybe more. if you don't like the guy why be generous and fair to him charge inflated rates but thats just my malicious side coming out
Old 07-14-2005, 09:01 AM   #10  
Addicted to potato salad!

Wow...can I relate!! Having been a former single mom myself, I can appreciate your mom's plight. On the other hand, I've seen so many times when little ones get tossed around unfairly and treated almost like pawns. On the other hand (I know, that's more than two hands...bear with me)...your brother is not YOUR responsibility, either...on the other (and final) hand, your brother deserves to relax and enjoy a weekend without feeling like he's 'in the way'.

My suggestion...since I haven't had a babysitter since I've gotten married and became a stay-at-home mom ( ), my next door neighbor sometimes takes a temp job, as does her sister. They both have two small kids and when one gets a job, the other watches all the kids and they split the paycheck. I think this is fair and if your soon-to-be-former step-dad wants you to watch your brother for the day, tell him he has to split his day's wages with you. Your mom, on the other hand...she's been through enough...I'd take it easy on her. Additionally, try and make your time with your little brother fun...take him to an amusement park or to a movie and have your step-father pay for the extra expenses, as well. Make it fun for both you AND your brother.

On the other hand ( )...one thing to consider is that if you charge too much for your time/services, your A..H... step father may then dump your brother off on anyone that will watch him and you don't want him having to spend the day with unsavory characters, either. So, it's a balancing act.

On the other, other hand...be glad that, so far, your step-father isn't demanding custody of your little brother and he's able to spend the bulk of his time with you and your mom and you guys can keep him and mold/shape him into the perfect young man and not like his dad. You can teach him to do laundry and to be chivalrous...you know, to be a good husband.

Okay...I hope this helps...Congrats/good luck on the fresh start in life!! You and your mom and your brother deserve it!!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #11  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwife
Wow...can I relate!! Having been a former single mom myself, I can appreciate your mom's plight. On the other hand, I've seen so many times when little ones get tossed around unfairly and treated almost like pawns. On the other hand (I know, that's more than two hands...bear with me)...your brother is not YOUR responsibility, either...on the other (and final) hand, your brother deserves to relax and enjoy a weekend without feeling like he's 'in the way'.

My suggestion...since I haven't had a babysitter since I've gotten married and became a stay-at-home mom ( ), my next door neighbor sometimes takes a temp job, as does her sister. They both have two small kids and when one gets a job, the other watches all the kids and they split the paycheck. I think this is fair and if your soon-to-be-former step-dad wants you to watch your brother for the day, tell him he has to split his day's wages with you. Your mom, on the other hand...she's been through enough...I'd take it easy on her. Additionally, try and make your time with your little brother fun...take him to an amusement park or to a movie and have your step-father pay for the extra expenses, as well. Make it fun for both you AND your brother.

On the other hand ( )...one thing to consider is that if you charge too much for your time/services, your A..H... step father may then dump your brother off on anyone that will watch him and you don't want him having to spend the day with unsavory characters, either. So, it's a balancing act.

On the other, other hand...be glad that, so far, your step-father isn't demanding custody of your little brother and he's able to spend the bulk of his time with you and your mom and you guys can keep him and mold/shape him into the perfect young man and not like his dad. You can teach him to do laundry and to be chivalrous...you know, to be a good husband.

Okay...I hope this helps...Congrats/good luck on the fresh start in life!! You and your mom and your brother deserve it!!

Thanks for the advice, I've already considered most of that, I know what it is like to be bounced around too, unlike my stepdad my dad actually wanted to see me but quit his job whenever mom would go after him for child support, among other things that have led us to non-communication...well on my part, he still tries but I want nothing to do with him. I find it ironic that my stepdad used to call my dad a 'deadbeat dad' but now he is turning out to be no better. I know that my brother knows deep down how is father is acting, he has said things right infront of him about visitations. I feel bad for him, b/c it must hurt knowing your own father doesn't want to spend time with you and would rather spend his weekends doing god knows what with god knows who and sitting his butt on the computer all day. Everyone I have talked to is surprised that he isn't fighting tooth and nail for custody, he doesn't want it, he doesn't want the responsibility of a child to be completly in his hands, besides he wouldn't be able to handle it, he has alot of growing up to do.

One example: my brother is going into grade 5, and he needs to improve greatly on his spelling/reading/writing b/c he is currently at a grade 2 level, so I took him to the library and he chose a book, I read it and made up questions, he has to read a chapter a day and answer the questions in sentance form, with correct spelling and grammer, he has been doing good but it is hard to get him to do it. On tuesday I told him I wanted it done by the time I got home, I got home at 9 and it still wasnt done so I told him to do it, my stepdad goes 'He has to do it now? Look what time it is!' then he tried to get him to watch South Park on TV instead.

A parent who cared and wanted to help his child would turn off the TV and offer to help. My mom and I know that it is going to be extremely hard for a while with this situation b/c while he is with us during the week he will eventually drop his attitude problem that he has, but once he goes to see his dad then comes home he will probably be so full of attitude, and we just know that my stepdad will fill his little head with s*** about our mom, he does it already...

Anyway that is a good idea about splitting the wages for the day, but I dont know if he will go for that, he is probably planning on giving me like $20, split wages would be around $80 or so, he still hasn't even asked me if I'll do it, he just assumes that I will. The only reason I am doing it is for my brother, b/c I know he would rather be with me than someone else.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:58 PM   #12  
Kaipo "Sweetheart"

S/C/G: 260/176/175

Height: 5' 10"

wow! - I should take up babysitting again. When I last babysat - the going rate was 1-2$ an hr if the parents had money -other wise a flat rate was in order. Of course we are talking 15-20 yrs ago. Man how time flies. The killing I could make today...

Best of luck.
Old 07-20-2005, 07:49 PM   #13  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

You're really too young to be being brought into these issues. Shame on your dad for doing that. But since he has, and will...perhaps you could suggest that your mom petition the court to get a right of first refusal clause written into the decree. Then, if dear ole dad decides he doesn't have the time to be with you and your brother, your mom would have the first choice in having the both of you before turning you over to the care of a sitter...or turning your brother over to your care. But it's a double-edged sword, in that if mom wants you to babysit your brother and your dad is off work, he would also get ROFR to take the both of you during those times.
Closed Thread