Exercise! - Cool Runners #14 -- July 11-17

View Full Version : Cool Runners #14 -- July 11-17

Ilene
07-11-2005, 08:09 AM
Wakie Wakie !! :wave:

Yesterday I ran 11k, it was good but dang, the heat gets to me!!

Today no run but a good chest workout

TTFN :wave:

MrsDawsondn
07-11-2005, 08:30 AM
Hey guys i did my two miler and ran into my aunt this morning so I walked with her then we split up in a particular area and I resumed running. It was a good workout. I'm be working with the weights on my lunch today.

ellenuw
07-11-2005, 08:36 AM
'morning all. I did 3.5 miles this morning, working up to 14 on Sat. yipee!! Hope everyone has a great week

paperclippy
07-11-2005, 09:01 AM
Good morning! I just got back from a week's vacation. I managed to get some running in during my vacation though, including one jog that lasted 1 hour 45 minutes! I'm betting I ran at least 5 miles on that one, which is a new record distance for me. I slacked off and skipped my run this morning (still adjusting to being home and trying to wake up on time), but I'll be back in the swing of things soon!

Only Me
07-11-2005, 09:59 AM
I ran 12k yesterday at my 1/2 marathon pace. A cut back week since I've decided to run a 1/2 this Saturday that's not too far away from me. The course is supposedly pretty flat, so if the current heat wave breaks by then, it should be a pretty good race and hopefully a new pb for me. My 6 year old might run the kids 1k. He hasn't decided yet. He doesn't like to lose, so I'm not sure whether or not it's a good idea.

Ilene, the heat gets to me too. Even running at 6am I find it warm. I'm looking forward to fall temps and running with gloves on again.

Sweater Girl
07-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Hi all,

I went to the Boilermaker 15K in Utica NY this past weekend. It was a fantastic time!! The course in itself is fairly tough, but all my hill repeat workouts and long slow runs had completely prepared me. There are also people cheering you on the whole way, lots of music, bands and at the end.... free beer... what else could you ask for. Admittedly I had too much so on the bus back I slept and slept and slept... I planned to take the day off today (don't worry I am using vacation time) so I am just taking it easy today.

We're debating which half marathons to do... now my FH is actually considering the Disney one is January which would be a lot of fun since a bunch of our friends are going. We'll have to see about the $$$ though.

Anyhoo it is hot this week, hopefully it won't be terrible.

Cheers!

Ali

sugarbianca
07-11-2005, 08:14 PM
I'm new to running, it's only been 3 weeks. I've already suffered shine splints and some ankle pain, I'm currently following the couch potato to 5 K training program I found on a website and also reading up at another site for women runners. any support or advice i welcomed. Congrats to all of you who are running and meeting your goals.

Jaime

MrsDawsondn
07-12-2005, 08:44 AM
Ellen you are kicking out those 5k's pretty good , I know you'll make your 14 miles you go girl!!

papperclippy that's great that even on vacation you got out there and ran and 1 hour and 45 minutes at that? You go girl!! That's awesome!

Ali congrats on the race did you make good time, I know you said you trained on hill repeats and everything it sounds like you had a blast great!!! Have fun with it :D Now get your rest lol

Only me the fact that you still pushing in the heat is awesome but like you I can't wait until fall comes around either to run and have the wind at my back woo that will be great. See last year I was 305 trying to run and it was alot harder but this year I can enjoy the weather and keep going at it.

Sugarbianca hello and welcome to the cool running forum there are some wonderful ladies here with wonderful advice so please check in with us and let us know how you are doing. As far as the shin splints and ankle problems are the shoes that you are running in actual running shoes because if not you may need to check into that and also make sure to stretch after running so as not to damage any muscle tissue. Have fun with it and go slow don't rush yourself. Also there is a book out that helped me tremendously that I picked up from the library called the complete idiots guide to jogging and running by bill rodgers I think that's what his name is and honey he covers EVERYTHING. To the lingo, running spots and shoes, stretches and exercises to emphasize strength and the 8 week running program IE couch to 5K (their all the same LOL). have fun with it it shouldn't be a terrible task that you have to complete it should be a goal that you can successfully reach and do for the rest of your life :D

2 mile run in 25:31

will do another run on lunch probably.

Oh and my hubby and son are just the BEST I woke up late and was rushing out for my run and as soon as I opened my bedroom door they were singing happy birthday to me LOL. Well my hubby was singing and my son was half asleep mumbling and hubby said he couldn't wake my daughter up she sleeps too hard . But that made me smile and I felt better and pushed harder on the run LOL.

Shalia
07-12-2005, 10:28 AM
I'm trying to start the cool runnings website <Day 1 week 1, but I'll get there!> and WAAAAAAAAH! I HURT. OK, I know I've been neglecting my body for years now, but still. And how much water is normal to retain after going out? This sucks rocks. :(

I'm glad to read others' motivation, makes me think that someday I might actually be able to do this. *sigh* It's just not feeling like today. I had my alarm set to go off this morning <would have been the third morning in a row> and I just ignored it. Couldn't even remotely make myself get up. *sighs again*

Anyone else need a pick me up and dry me off?

skinnyjeans
07-12-2005, 01:42 PM
The world is conspiring against me but I WILL run today. In the rain...Or the 90 degree heat...Or whatever comes up!

Besides after the day I am having I will need a run to improve my lovely mood. Otherwise...I may not survive the night...my DH will certainly murder me and dispose of all evidence! LOL!

YP1
07-12-2005, 02:19 PM
I don't like my new trainers. I'm just frustrated. My old trainers are great on one foot but not on the other. I change them, my "bad foot" feels great in the new ones, but the foot that was OK doesn't like them.

Maybe I can run in odd trainers...

I think to break them in I'll run in the old ones and do other stuff in the new ones, and hope that they improve once my feet get used to them.

sugarbianca
07-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Thanks Mrs. D,
Happy Belated birthday to you!!!
I'm wearing Nike running shoes now, a pair for stability and cushioning, i started out with a cheap pair of Champions and i went to fast and for too long. My pain is slowly going away and I'm running again after taking time off to heal. Stretching, ice and massages have helped me alot.

MrsDawsondn
07-12-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks sugarbianca it's not belated it's today.
I'm happy for you getting some new runners I'm sure be out there having a ball in no time at all.

paperclippy
07-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Happy birthday Mrs D!

Ilene
07-12-2005, 06:47 PM
:cheers: MrsD Happy Birthday :dance: Have fun on your day !!

Only Me
07-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Happy Birthday MrsDawsondn. You dh and son sound cute singing to you first thing in the morning!

Ali, glad to hear the boilermaker went well for you. So, how hot was it? And I can imagine it wouldn't take much beer to get light headed after a 15k run!

Jamie and Shalia, welcome! July 21 marks the 1st anniversary of my couch to 5k program start date. And I'm celebrating by running my second half marathon this weekend. The program works, but you have to start!

YP1, Maybe you could start a trend wearing two different runners. I'm due for new shoes as well. I'm lucky to have found a kind that works for me. Now I'm just fearing the time I go to buy them only to find out they've been discontinued or "improved". So far the only change has been in colour. I'm not thrilled about the bit of pink on them now, but at least they still feel/fit the same.

10k race pace run for me this morning. Actually, it ended up being faster than race pace. Oops. I was just enjoying myself too much. I'll have to be more disciplined about sticking to pace on Saturday though if I want to finish happily. One more run tomorrow am. I'm not sure whether I want to do my scheduled hill repeats or a shorter tempo or pace run instead.

Shalia
07-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Happy B-day MrsD. :) Hope it's a happy one.

ellenuw
07-13-2005, 07:58 AM
Happy B-day Mrs D - you have got it all going for you this year!! :hb: :hat: :gift: :woo: :balloons:

What a great gift you have given yourself - keep running and everything else will follow ...

MrsDawsondn
07-13-2005, 10:03 AM
Thank you all so much for your happy birthdays :grouphug: i really appreciate that!

This morning I did a 2.0 walk in 33 minutes. Man the back of my thighs and my inner thighs are so dangon sore. I did some squats the other day and they are killer on my legs but I'm getting back on those machines today. I usually take a rest a day inbetween workouts.

LOL @ onlyme with the comment about the mismatched runners hey you could start a new trend ;) sounds like all you ladies are doing well.

skinnyjeans
07-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Yes, Happy B-Day! What a great start to another year.

OnlyMe-Congrats on making it 1 year! A race is a great way to celebrate.

YP1-I am going to have to get new runners soon as well and am hoping for some luck. I started looking the other day and wasn't seeing anything, but I was just in a sporting goods store not a running store. Their selection is pretty limited.

Today is going better for me. Amazing how much a run can improve the mood! I even through in an extra 1.5 mi because it felt so good.

Ilene
07-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Helllo Gang :wave:

YP1 -- I had the same idea as OnlyMe to start that new trend :lol: ... What the heck, will anyone really notice? I certainly don't look at ppls feet when I see someone running :shrug:...

OnlyMe -- Congrats on your one year anniversary :high: ... What an accomplishment !!

Welcome to our running newbies, I LUVS newbies :D ...

I'm running today come **** or high waters, and it could be high waters because I can hear the thunder rumbling in the back ground :lol: !! I will go to the gym this afternoon and run the dreadmill and maybe do a light leg workout after the run, just cause I'm bored, I guess I could do housework or laundry but that just would be tooooo productive :lol: ...

Have a great day everyone TTFN :wave:

Sequined
07-13-2005, 12:27 PM
I did 4 miles on the treadmill in 35-40 minutes, and a ten minute walking cooldown. Woah, am I tired. It felt really good though! Everything always seems to simplify after a workout and I feel better about myself because I am doing something that will help. Ah, the simple things in life make it so much better!!!

YP1
07-13-2005, 02:20 PM
I decided not to go for a mismatch, but for now I'm going to wear them for alternate days until I've got the new ones a bit more worn in (hopefully). So I ran in the old ones today, and covered 7.5km in 48 minutes, which is pretty much the fastest I've ever managed that distance I think. Back to the new ones tomorrow, but I probably won't run and will just do weights or something.

skinnyjeans
07-13-2005, 03:25 PM
At least by alternating shoes each foot has an easy day and a hard day. LOL

MrsDawsondn
07-14-2005, 11:33 AM
2.0 miles in 26:50 this morning.

Oh yes and guess what i am actually gonna sign up to run a 5k!!! whoopie! I'm so excited I just hope I don't chicken out right? I don't have a training schedule put together yet the run is on August 6th it's the Fleet Feet Lady's Run 5k 10K. I'm not doing it to compete with myself or anything because I run EXTREMELY SLOW LOL but I just want to know that I have atleast once in my life completed a 5K race. Wish me luck guys and if anyone has any ideas on how to train for one, either post it or pm me. I run 2.0 miles everyother day so hopefully that will help out and I run 3 miles on Saturdays. Sundays are my rest days. Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Oh YEs and Congrats Only Me on your 1 year anniversary I'm so happy for you and yes there is no better way to celebrate than to run a 10K. Awesome!

YP1 have fun breaking those new runners in.

Sequined it feels so good to get it in and get it done doesn't it and you sit there like why was I procrastinating about this? LOL

Ilene did you get that run in? LOL @ dreadmill I like that term!

skinnyjeans
07-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Hot and muggy here, but the predicted thunderstorm is still holding off. Hopefully until after my run today. If not weights today and run tomorrow...

SJ

Shalia
07-14-2005, 02:29 PM
MrsD, I say sign up. :) You'll get a spiffy t-shirt and the knowledge that YOU DID IT. What more do you need? If you can already do 3miles you are running a 5K anyways, so go out and do it. I believe in you. *cheerleader*

I'm going to go find an open "dreadmill" *giggle* and try day 2 of the cool runnings formula. :) See y'all later.

Ilene
07-14-2005, 06:20 PM
MrsD -- thanks for asking I did get a run on the dreadmill yesterday, did 5k and it was good except once when I slowed to a brisk walk I hurt my knee, but it feels better today, so I guess I'll be fine... Please sign up for the 5k, afterall like like Shalia said 3 miles IS 5k!!

sugarbianca
07-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Mrsdawson here's a program I'm eying when i can actually run not jogg :
http://www.running4women.com/starting_out.php?article_id=17

Shalia
07-14-2005, 08:56 PM
I had to *yay* myself. Day 2 of week 1 on cool runnings done. Whew! My ankle was about to give out on me a few times, but I did it. And that's the important part. Whee! :happy dance:

AnneWonders
07-15-2005, 09:30 AM
Does assembling my jogging stroller count as running? I still have more than 2 months to go til the baby comes, and probably another couple after than before I run again, but I'm getting ready! It was almost 90F yesterday when I woke up at 5 a.m.--too hot to even walk.

Need some advice from the moms out there. Does anybody know how long after you give birth before your foot size stabilizes again? My shoes are getting a little snug, and I don't want buy another running pair until I know it'll last more than a couple weeks.

You guys are doing so great--so inspiring. Shaila, congrats on day 2, what a great start. MrsD--sign up for that race. You'll be so proud of yourself.

Anne

Ilene
07-15-2005, 10:45 AM
ANNE !! :grouphug: I was just thinking of you this morning and wondering how you were! Sounds like you are doing just fine... If memory serves me right it took 15 years to get back down to my regular shoe size :lol3: ... NO, seriously I think it took a good 2-3months for the swelling to go down, but it may be different if you nurse your baby, as I didn't at the time.

I only had time to run 2 miles on the dreadmill but it felt good. I think it's ellen who gave the recommendation to SQUEEZE your butt and think of your core and abs when running, well it certainly did help a LOT. My right knee sounds like popcorn these dayse but after concentrating of my form this morning it went very well ...

Well gotta go take my dad to treatement TTFN:wave:

MrsDawsondn
07-15-2005, 12:30 PM
Thanks sugarbianca I will check that site and and way to go Sheila you are doing it girl! You'll be doing miles in no time at all :D

Hi anne "waving" great to see you doing well. My swelling in my feet went down a couple of days after I had my daughter and I've heard about the same from other women. You lose alot of water rentention after you have the baby.

Thanks for your encouragement guys, I think I am going to sign up :dance:

MrsDawsondn
07-15-2005, 12:34 PM
Oh yeah my workout duh :doh: I did 2.0 mile walk this morning. Weights later today then I am going on vacation all next week so I won't be posting but I will be running and in here in spirit with you girls. We're heading off to myrtle beach so please pray a hurricane doesn't hit the coast :o . I've never run on a beach before so hopefully I can try that one day I'm praying that it doesn't rain. Okay guys well I'll see ya in about 2 weeks "waving"

Only Me
07-15-2005, 12:44 PM
Anne, Good to see you! Assembling a stroller definitely counts as exercise! I was only changing the wheels on my double stroller this morning (we wore out the first pair) and that was enough of a challenge. My feet never really swelled while I was pregnant. But I did go up one size in my first pregnancy (5 to 6) and still wear a 6. Since my oldest is now 6 years old, I think the increased size is permanent for me. I had to replace all my shoes slowly.

Ilene, glad to hear you managed to squeeze in a run even with your busy weekday schedule.

MrsDawsondn, enjoy your vacation!

I went for a walk this morning to test out the wheels I replaced on the stroller. They didn't fall off and strand the girls and I a couple of miles from home, so I guess that's a success. No running until tomorrow am for me.

skinnyjeans
07-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Mrs. D. Way to go on signing up for a race. I think you should get extra credit for vacation workouts:)

Ilene- I was really trying to pay attention to my posture on my run today as well. I noticed I have been slumping a lot lately and my stomach has been cramping up just sitting around (because I am slumping, or am I slumping because my stomach hurts?) Either way, I pulled my stomach in and straightened my shoulders and noticed a huge difference in my time!

Shaila- Keep up the good work! Make sure to rest and elevate between runs to keep the swelling down. At least until your body is used to it again.

SJ

Only Me- You wore through a pair of wheels? Impressive. I feel like I have accomplished a lot when I need new shoes.

Shalia
07-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks. *hugs*

Anne: my shoe size stayed up by one permanently too. It'da been nice for them to go down, cause now I wear women's 11's and you can't FIND the darn things in half the stores. So don't count on them going down. Don't give up hope, but don't count on it.

MrsD, when would your race be again? Enjoy your vacation, you'll have a blast at the beach and we'll *pray* that you get no wet weather. :)

Ilene, I forgot about the squeeze your butt thing. I'll try next time. Now, can you go every day or are you supposed to go every other day like weight training?

sugarbianca
07-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Anne,
I'm with Shalia, my foot went up a half size and 20 months later they haven't returned to normal, my friends feet went up 2 sizes and 5 years later are still the same, hopfully for you they will return to normal size soon.

TTURedRaider
07-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I just have to say I look up to you all! I am amazed at how much a lot of you run! I just started running this week and I am having some problems (blisters) but I managed to run 2 miles today! (1 mile, then a little break, then another mile).

ellenuw
07-16-2005, 05:40 AM
Just lovely - it is 5:30am, already 77 and 96% humidity and I am off to do 14 miles. I love DC in the summer! (How crazy am I?) I promise to check in later. We are having a little "parking lot party" after the run to celebrate for those folks who are doing the half marathon - made the distance with 3 months left of training (most of my group is looking to Marine Corps last weekend of Oct).

Hey, Mrs.D, you rock!

Shaila and SJ - squeeze that butt, push off from the big toe - it is amzing how much longer and further you can go. I would not have believed it if I hadn't tried it. Keep up the good work.

Sugarbianca - why wait? Start the program now - it is designed to help you get from jogging to running. You CAN do it. Wish I had some advice for the blisters ...

Anne, Ilene, SJ - I do admire you for running through and after pregnancy - wow.

AnneWonders
07-16-2005, 08:12 AM
TTURedRaider, try a different pair of socks. Thin or thick, different textures and wicking materials. It should be pretty cheap to try a couple pairs and see if it helps. Also, some vaseline or Body Glide on the trouble spots can help. My blister problem went away when I found the right shoes--extra wide for me.

Ellen, have fun on that 14 miler. Keep hydrated.

Anne

YP1
07-16-2005, 08:30 AM
5k for me this morning, I'm hoping to do a longer run tomorrow so didn't want to go too far today in case it wore me out. Fingers crossed the plan works when I get up tomorrow!

Ilene
07-16-2005, 09:29 AM
Shalia - I usually run every second day... Sometimes I run every day but I find it hard on the knees ... Most training programs run only every second day...

Today we are going in the coolness of a museum and walking around in there... Tomorrow it will be a super early morning jog if I want to beat the heat...

Ellen -- I wasn't a runner during my pregnancy 17 years ago... but I did exercise and weight train till the very end and was back at it 4 weeks after delivery...

ellenuw
07-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Ellen -- I wasn't a runner during my pregnancy 17 years ago... but I did exercise and weight train till the very end and was back at it 4 weeks after delivery...

I'll say it again - wow.

Just got back from my 14 - I finished in 3:30. That means I will be able to finish the Disney Half in 3:30 (course limit) so I am going to sign up. Just between us, I think I have an addiction. Is there a 12 step program available for runners (12 steps - is that all? I can do that, it's nothing after 14 miles in the heat and humidity :lol: )

Only Me
07-16-2005, 04:09 PM
Just got back from this morning's half. Dh, who has run 5k once in the last 12 years (and that was Friday night) ran the 5k in 24:50. (He does bike and walk a lot though). My 3 and 6 year olds ran(well, mostly walked for the 3 year old) the kids 1k race and received ribbons for their efforts.

Now my race. The weather was hot and humid, the course ran along country roads with no shade whatsoever, and the half didn't start until after 9:30, when the 5k was finished. Anyway, before we started I'd down graded my time hopes from sub-2:00, to around 2:05. By 10k I'd down graded that to faster than my 2:12ish May 1/2. By 15k I'd downgraded it to finishing without collapsing or walking most of the last 3k. I finished in about 2:12 again. But, it was a better experience than the last time. My pace was more consistent. I walked through water stations after the turnaround, and for about a minute afterwards, but that was it. I even finished by picking up the pace for the last couple of km and overtaking two men. Hey, I didn't finish last!

Lessons learned. 1. No more mid summer long distances for me. I don't do heat well. By about 8km I wasn't sweating much at all and I had goosebumps on my arms. It was a weird feeling; I was incredibly hot yet slightly chilly at the same time. I then started sweating buckets as soon as I stopped running. 2. Chaffing hurts. I've worn the same sports bra before on long runs, but I was dumping water over my head at water stations, and I guess my skin and the wet bra did not get along. I didn't notice until I got back and took a bath. Better than finding out in a shower I guess. (Dh got to experience chaffed nipples, which took him by suprise. I told him that he now knows why so many of the men were running topless.)

Ellen, congrats on your 14 miler!

Shalia, it's generally considered better to run every other day when you're starting out. It puts a lot of new stresses on the muscles, bones, tendons and ligaments.

Sweater Girl
07-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Only Me: Feliciation for running a half in this weather! I am absolutely dying doing hills in this weather and it's usually my strength!

I can't believe I am sticking through running through the humidity, but it is a great stress reliever for me!!!

Cheers!

Ali

sugarbianca
07-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Congrats Only me!!!

Congrats Ellen on your 14 m. I am currently doing the couch potato to 5k program I find it much easier for a beginner to run 90sec then walk 60 alternating for 20min than it is to run 5min then walk 5 min. that;s why I said that I 'll try to program when i can run, 5 minutes seems like an eternity to me.

I admire all the people who run during pregnancy too, I was on pelvic rest and took that as an excuse to not exercise, i'm paying for it now, 40lbs heavier than I've ever been.

YP1
07-17-2005, 07:53 AM
A cracking run on the treadmill this morning, 10k in 64 minutes. I kept up the pace that I used to consider absolutely flat out for a 5k up for over 8k, then slowed down a bit at the end, but I still shaved 3 minutes off the time it took the only other time I managed that distance.

I was going to run outside today, but it was a bit warm by the time I got up, so I opted for air conditioning. Nothing like as warm as some of you are experiencing, but still a bit uncomfortable for sweaty old me!

ellenuw
07-17-2005, 09:10 AM
I am currently doing the couch potato to 5k program I find it much easier for a beginner to run 90sec then walk 60 alternating for 20min than it is to run 5min then walk 5 min. that;s why I said that I 'll try to program when i can run, 5 minutes seems like an eternity to me.

I hear you ... You are doing great. I did not mean anything by my comment except to run for yourself and don't let your fears hold you back. You are on the right track for you. I am still not at 5 min intervals, but in 4:1s. I just increased the speed to 5.0 on the treadmill and held it for 40 min (at 4 min intervals) last Thurs. I have been "lifting my feet higher and moving faster than a walk" (jogging? running? who cares?) since Feb and started like you are. You need to find the right mix for you and listen to your body to know when to move to 2:2s or 2:1s or what ever makes sense for you. I am ready to try 5:1s during my short run (40 min) this week ... maybe ... I'll let you know Thurs. I need to work myself into these things ;)

Ilene
07-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Only Me - :eek: WOWOWOWOWeeee :high: a half in this heat!!! Holy Moly!! I don't do well in heat either and that's only 10K, I can NOT imagine a half!! OnlyMe you said: By about 8km I wasn't sweating much at all and I had goosebumps on my arms. It was a weird feeling; I was incredibly hot yet slightly chilly at the same time. I've had that happen a couple of times, the chills and goose bumps in this heat!! What gives with that?

Ellen -- You rock with that 14m...Do you run in a group when you go that far? and do you run your 4:1 intervals. I have to start doing somethings differently, I am stuck in a 10k rut :( as a long run ....

Shalia
07-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Yeah, now it'll be two days off. Had good intentions of running today and life got in the way. Just took my evening drugs and I'm practically tipsy now. <Generally not good when running.> Tomorrow morning it is. And then I get to take the car to the car doctor and fix it. Stupid car decided to break it's radiator.

ellenuw
07-18-2005, 07:07 AM
Ellen -- You rock with that 14m...Do you run in a group when you go that far? and do you run your 4:1 intervals. I have to start doing somethings differently, I am stuck in a 10k rut :( as a long run ....

Thanks Ilene. Yes, I run with a group for my long runs and on my own for my short weekday runs. DCFit has it all mapped out, so all I need to do is show up with ym sneaks, water and gels. How much easier could it be? They also tell me what to do during the week, and I swear it has an impact on improving my long runs. So, this week I do an easy run today for 40 min, tomorrow do 14 minutes of 30 second intervals (30 seconds as fast as you can, then 30 second recovery) plus a 10 minute warm-up and cool down), and Thurs is a 30 min tempo run. For the next two Sat's we will do 10 miles (one will probably be a hill run) and then on to 16 miles. It is a good plan - there are many plans like this out there, it is the group that makes the long runs itneresting. There are about 6 of us that run consistently together, though 700 registered for the program. We are divided into groups by pace and then subdivided by intervals. Yes, I do run 4:1s on the long runs. Though since last week tired us all so much and we all had problems we did the last 3 miles or so light post to light post and then 3:1s. Sat was about endurance and distance, not about time.

Can I just say, I LOVE MY RUNNING GROUP - I don't think I could do this without them.

LeanneM83
07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Hey everyone

I am back from my vacation and proud to say that I continued my training program FAITHFULLY while I was away...and even though it was HOT HOT HOT- I did it all!!

I jumped on my scale and all that hard work is paying off more than I EVER imagined possible...My weight is down to 115.4 but I have never felt so good about myself in FOREVER!!! Thank god for running!

Happy Monday everyone!

Leanne :lol: