Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #1  
No more tears!

Smile can i eat?

can i eat noodles? like noodles in the pack. are there any diet pizza i can buy? and is there a service that deliver low carb meals?
BBWonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:09 PM   #2  

You know that there really isn't anything that you can't have you just have to learn portions and how to count it and keep track my dear. Cindi
Flower Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:16 PM   #3  
it's always something

Great answer, Cindi

BBWonwheels, are you on a low carb diet? I thought you were following a calorie controlled plan your doctor gave you?
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:21 PM   #4  
No more tears!

i am im just asking
Old 07-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

BBWonwheels-
You can eat whatever your doctor says that you can, and in the amounts that your doctor says that you can.
I specified in another thread, that since you are a diabetic, and have just recently found this out, that you need to be discussing your eating plan with your doctor.
I do not feelt that it is helpful to you at this early stage of learning your new eating habits (diabetic diet plan) that you should be asking general members here on the forum what you should and shouldn't be eating-especially when you are not telling the members in the threads that you start here that you are a diabetic.
You need to be discussing your diet with your doctor right now, and your doctor alone.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 09:11 PM   #6  

I did know that she is diabetic aphil. I am too and I am on the diabetic exchange plan. That's why I said what I said. She did say she was on a calorie plan. She really needs to get to a diabetic educator or at least a dietitian. That would really help her. She really needs to know how many carbs she can have and fats and proteins too. I know it's very confusing at the beginning of this little diabetic adventure. Cindi
Old 07-10-2005, 10:29 PM   #7  
No more tears!

well im sorry i thought this was a support site i wont ask no more questions ok. i havent seeing my doctor yet and he didnt put me on a calorie diet i did he just told me to get on a diet so i thought i would get some helpful advice but i guess i was wrong. and yes ill see my doctor in 2 more months. i just wanna some advice from ppl who have diabetes because im new with all of this ok! so sorry ill go some where else ok.

ty cindi for helping me and being there and to all the rest.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:17 PM   #8  
it's always something

I'm so sorry if we misunderstood, we don't want you to leave! In another thread, you said you had seen your doctor and you were on a 1500 calorie diet, so I assumed he gave it to you. If he diagnosed you as diabetic, then he really should have given you a special diet plan to follow, instead of just telling you to lose weight. Do you have more than one doctor you can ask? You could also call them and either make an appointment with their staff dietitian, or ask them to mail you a copy of the diabetic exchange plan. That's what you should be following, instead of trying to count calories or wonder about specific foods like noodles.

This must be a confusing time for you right now, having to deal with a serious condition as diabetes and not knowing what you should do. Your doctor was really slacking on the job

The American Diabetes Association has some helpful pointers about weight loss on their website.

http://www.diabetes.org/weightloss-a...tip-sheets.jsp

In our Dieting With Obstacles Forum there is a thread for diabetics that might be good for you to read and join in. Though no one here can really give you specific advice because your health is too serious. It sounds like you really want to learn more about your condition, and again I'm sorry that we misunderstood about your diet. Please call your doctor tomorrow and ask them to send you a copy of the diabetic exchange plan to help get you started.

Good luck
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 11:40 PM   #9  
No more tears!

ty suz, thats all i need is some help here. this is so scaring to me not knowing about any of this. me and my mom is just playing by ear here.....lol we call my docotor and told me to just lose weight and cut my sugar so me and mom is asking ppl with diabetes what to do. thats why im here. i go back to him in september i guess they gone tell me what to do then. i got this diabetes type 2 diet sheet from another doctor office and im going by that until i see my doctor. i know ppl on here can't do better then the doctor, i was just looking for some support and friends thats all.

i don"t want to do nothing wrong thats why im here. im sorry if i bother anybody.
im just scared.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:55 PM   #10  

Hang in there BB we are here to support you. I just wish you could get back with your doctor sooner. I think you would be more comfortable with your diagnosis. My gp diagnosed me and they didn't even have a diet there..I had to make an appt. with a dietitian that travels and was at our hospital once a month. I live in a very small town. So I did just what you are doing jumped on the internet and tried to learn as much as I could. Knowledge is key to managing our disease. You can do this! One meal at a time, one day at a time. Cindi
Old 07-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #11  
No more tears!

ty cindi girl with ppl like you all i know i can
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #12  

You had stated that you were diagnosed with diabetes by your doctor and were on a 1500 calorie plan-so I, too, assumed that you doctor had given you your eating plan.

I agree with the others that you need to get to your doctor again soon-or to another one if your current doctor isn't giving you the help that you need.

When I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, I was given an eating plan, and I was also given the equipment to test my blood sugar numerous times a day, and all of those things.

There are different ranges of diabetes-some who can control theirs with diet, some with pills and diet, and finally some with insulin injections and diet. Which degree are you? From the lack of information that your doctor gave you, I would assume that you can control yours by losing weight and a proper diet, but I would like to know to make sure.

What I suggest that you do is to check out the site that Suzanne suggested, and if the information is not on there I will find it for you and post it here. What you want to be eating on is probably the 1500 diabetic exchange diet. The plan should tell you what to eat at each meal in exchanges (such as 1 starch, 1 protein, 1 fruit) and it there should be a guide as to what equals this amount-such as 1/2 cup rice equals a starch...and so forth. If you cannot find this plan, like I said, I will find it for you.

You really need to follow the diabetic exchange program for best results. Just eating 1500 calories a day of any old thing won't be as effective. The diet is not that hard to follow either-because you can choose what you like to eat for your exchanges-if it says 1 fruit, then you can choose a fruit that you like, if it says 1 protein, then you can choose which kind you like.

Something that you may also find helpful, is if you eat any packaged foods, such as a granola bar or frozen dinner-look on the back of the box somewhere for the exchanges. A lot of packaged foods have them-so you do not have to "guess" how to count them. Most will say "2 starch 1 fat" or something so you know what to mark them off as on your diet.

I do think that you should make an appointment to see your doctor and a dietician soon and ask for more information. It is not fair that they just left you hanging without any information.

Flower Power-you may have known from another thread that BBW was a diabetic, but that info was not given in this particular thread, and on a few others. What can happen sometimes is most users do not read every thread here-so she may get answers from someone who has not read her other posts and who does not know her medical issues. I read just about every thread here in the support forum because I moderate this area-so I knew she was diabetic as well, but if she would have posted it in a forum that I visit sometimes but do not moderate (so I don't read every post-just pass through now and then) I may not have had this information.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #13  

A very good diet plan to follow for Diabetes is Sugarbusters! My doctor puts all his diabetic patients on it. You can probably find the book at your library and it will help you decide what you should be eating. Cutting out sugar (read labels!) and eating only whole grains (NO white, enriched flour products..so noodles only if they are 100% semolina or whole wheat) is a good place to start. White potatoes and corn are things you want to avoid as well. They raise insulin levels dramatically.

You can check out the Sugarbusters Forum on here, if you like.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:31 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWonwheels
ty suz, thats all i need is some help here. this is so scaring to me not knowing about any of this. me and my mom is just playing by ear here.....lol we call my docotor and told me to just lose weight and cut my sugar so me and mom is asking ppl with diabetes what to do. thats why im here. i go back to him in september i guess they gone tell me what to do then. i got this diabetes type 2 diet sheet from another doctor office and im going by that until i see my doctor. i know ppl on here can't do better then the doctor, i was just looking for some support and friends thats all.

i don"t want to do nothing wrong thats why im here. im sorry if i bother anybody.
im just scared.

First thing I would do is get a new doctor!!! You need to be better educated about the disease. Relying on a message board cannot replace medical advise and one on one education. Insist on a solid foundation from medical professionals and then come to the boards for additional support and information.

Are you monitoring you levels throughout the day? If not, you have no clue what foods will do harm to your body. Some diabetics are not able to eat rice or pasta period because of the spikes, where as others can process those carbs easier.

Does your hospital offer a diabetic education class? Did they set you up with a dietition? If not...get a new doctor and take ownership over your heath and don't go into this blind.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #15  

Burgie-I agree 100%. Every diabetic is different, and you have to find out through testing of your blood sugar what keeps your levels stable.