Support Groups - Circle of Friends

View Full Version : Circle of Friends

aleka
07-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Hello everyone :coffee:

We were very fortunate with Dennis. We got a lot of wind and rain out of it and thankfully did not lose our electricity. My girlfriend called last night from NH and her son who doesn't live very far from us lost his electricity. We are more inland than he is anyway, so that could be why. A little while ago we were under a tornado warning. They spotted one north of us and it was heading NW. I guess we're still under the gun today for more nasty weather. I feel so bad for the people that are going to get hit head on with this hurricane.

Anne, a puppy! :love: How thrilling for you and your family. I know it will be well loved. A Beagle and Lab mix sounds like a good combination to me. I love both those breeds. I hope you have a safe trip and hope you come back home with the puppy. I am sorry that your sister decided not to get a puppy. That must have been a disappointment for you because you were so looking forward to her getting one.

Barb, I am so sorry about your SIL. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. How did she do after she got the 2 units of blood? Please keep us posted. James Patterson is one of my favorite authors. I love the Women's Murder Club series. I've got the 4th one, but haven't read it yet. Have you read his books, Suzanne's Diary to Nicholas and Sam's Letter to Jennifer? If not, I highly recommend them. I also like his Alex Cross series. Have you read anything by Janet Evanovich? Her Stephanie Plum series is a hoot! She just came out with #11. But, I would suggest you start with the first one and work your way up. Good luck tomorrow on jury duty.

Kate, is your friend still down here with her daughter?

Nikki, hope things are going ok with you.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Ali

nikkic
07-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Good Morning Everyone:yawn:

Ali, so glad your safe and sound. That has to be very scary and I've sure been worried about you. Hope that the storms pass by you very quickly.

Barb, I am so sorry for all that is going on in your life. I will keep you and your SIL and family in my prayers too. It sounds like you are under a great deal of stress right now. I hope going back to your old job is a smooth transition for you though. I have never been on the Perricone diet, I've read it. It is a very, very healthy diet, but I'm just not a salmon lover. I eat it once or twice a month and it's only because it's healthy for me. Now, they say that farm raised is not good for you, so I try to buy the wild salmon, which costs a fortune here. Then there are the blueberries, by the time they get to our stores, they look like they are dehydrated and rotten. I did plant a blueberry bush last year, but the little thing still looks like a twig.

Anne, I'm very happy to hear that your getting a dog. That will be a wonderful addition to your family. I love puppies, they bring a great deal of joy into a home. I bet your mom will be thrilled. How is she getting along?

Kate, are you camping yet? It's now unbearable hot here again. DH wants to start working on the house again, starting tomorrow. I'm all excited about it:nose: (not!)
Better get busy in the yard before it's too hot, take care all:grouphug: , Nikki

Katey
07-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi all:wave:
My internet service has been going up and down all day. I'm going to try to sneak in here while I can.

Ali: I'm so glad that Dennis wasn't too bad for you. I'm sure it's such a worry waiting to see what will happen and tornadoes...those things are so scary. Don't know when my friend was coming home. She was supposed to call me from down there, but I haven't heard anything. Stay safe.

Nikki: We're leaving early Saturday morning for the mountains. It takes about 5 hours to get there. It's supposed to get hot and humid again this week. We did have a little more rain yesterday. What are you doing on the house now?

Anne: Puppies are just so cute and such fun. We had a Bless the Animals service at church today. Anyone who wants can bring their pet. We had quite a variety....many dogs/puppies, llamas, a horse, cat. It was a wonderful service outside under a tree with a nice breeze blowing. At the end of the service the minister had owners and pets in a semi-circle and he went around and said a prayer for each one and their families. Unfortunately I didn't take Abby. DH had gotten up early and taken her with him down to the lake to test the boat :( Glad that you're seeing lots of security in your area. Hope this week at work will go well for you.

Barb: You've had so much going on and now your SIL's illness. I hope that she's doing better. My prayers are with your family. I hope this week goes well for you with your "new" job. It's hard making changes. At least you'll be in a familiar place. How is your DH doing? Has he lost more weight? Good thing you'll only have your free lunch one day a week. That's hard to resist. You take care of yourself.

Well, I made it through this post without getting kicked off :D Got some things to finish up around here so I'll say goodbye.

Kate

ageoldie
07-10-2005, 11:31 PM
I spent the day telling people I know and love about my job change. My sister works for/with us and she was on vacation last week and I had to tell her today so she wouldn't just go in and find out then. Then one of our employees goes to church with us, so we went to eat after church tonight and told him and his wife.

I found out yesterday that I was mistaken about my jury duty and it is Tuesday and not Monday, so I call Pam (my new boss) and I am going to work tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

Ali glad you didn't get too much damage. Anne, I glad you got a new puppy, but the only thing wrong with puppies is that the grow up to be dogs!!! In case you didn't realize it, I'm a cat person!!!

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/siggys/Barbara.gif

aleka
07-11-2005, 08:41 AM
Hi everyone,

More torrential rain came through yesterday morning then the sun came out by mid afternoon. :sunny:

Anne, did you get the puppy yesterday?

Barb, good luck to you on your new "old" job today. That must have been hard telling your sister and employees about you getting a job. I hope things start looking up for you soon.

Kate, where are you going camping? I haven't been camping since I was a kid. It was a lot of fun. We went camping somewhere near Lake George at one time. We also camped on the lot before our summer cottage was built.

Nikki, is it still hot where you are? Please take care when you start on your house.

Hope you all have a great day.
Ali

ANNE D
07-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Good Morning Everyone:
Ali, how are your doing???? I bet you had alot of anxiety with this ordeal.
Thank God you and your DH were spared power loss. I feel so sorry for
the folks that were so badly flooded. I was watching Anderson Cooper
out in the storm. Unbeleiveable coverage!!!
Well, our deal on the puppy fell through, but.....two of my sons and I went
to a pet store by our house yesterday. We bought the most adorable
little puppy. It is a cockapoo. It is too cute :cloud9: He was born May 10
and we have called him Toby. My mother and my sister just went crazy over
him. I said Toby, you have come into a family that is going to love you so
much. We are all crazy about him. I just hated coming to work today. What
is good is James and Sean are home for the summer and can play with Toby
and get him used to the family. He is already a happy little boy, wagging
his tail, kissing everyone. The pet store told us he may not eat well for
the first couple of days but, he is eating and drinking just fine.

Barb, I hope things start to go better. I will keep your SIL in my prayers. How do you feel about Jury duty?

Kate: No rain yet, our lawns are parched.

Hi Nikki, I am back on track with Suzannes program. I am hoping walking
Toby will step up my excerise and energy level in the evenings.
Talk to you guys later.
Anne.

aleka
07-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Anne, congratulations on your new puppy, Toby :balloons: He sounds so adorable. I am so happy for you that you found the perfect dog and I wish you many-many happy years with him. Bet you can't wait to get home from work tonight. ;)

Ali

Lucyee
07-11-2005, 01:55 PM
HI I am new to the 3 fat chicks site and have been having a very hard time choosing a weight loss program, that is right for me. I started the other day, thinking I might try LA Weight Loss and I got a message telling me how expensive the program is. That and my usual run back to WW feelings, made me write to a couple of the WW forums. Yesterday, I was rethinking that I had bought all the Somersizing books, from Suzanne somers and I never tried the program. I need a change. I keep jumping back and forth. Then, I saw a message on 3 fat chicks site that Aleka was on Somersizing. Need help. Would like to try it, but I am a little undecided. Hope one of you, might be able to help me out. I didn't know there was a support site here on 3 fat chicks, for Somersizing. I feel so silly, posting all over the place and I must make a decision. Help?? Thanks, Lucyee

nikkic
07-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Lucyee,

Hi, Anne, Ali and I use to Somersize and now, it's just Anne. Ali wrote a very good review of it here on 3FC's. It's a great plan, but does take a little while to get use to. There is a BB on her website for it and it's full of recipes and great info www.somersize.com (http://www.somersize.com) click on community at the top of the page and on discussion on the side of the next page.
Having said that, you are more than welcome to join our group. We use to post on the Low Carb board, but since we are more of a support group now (some of us follow other plans besides low carb), we were asked to move here. Sometimes, we don't even follow a plan, but we stay together, because we all have the ultimate goal of wanting to be healthy.
I would suggest reading one of her books completely, before really deciding if you want to do it. My favorite is Somersize Fast and Easy. They are all great to have, they have such delicious recipes. I lost around 50 lbs following this program. My downfall was the desserts, I would over eat them. I decided I needed a stricter program which led to a series of other programs. To be honest, if I'd stuck with Somersizing (we usually just say SS for short), but laid off the desserts, I would probably be at my goal weight.
Anyway, welcome to the group and please feel free to stay, no matter what you decide, Nikki

aleka
07-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi Lucyee,

I am glad you found us. Somersizing is a wonderful WOE I wish I hadn't stopped eating that way because now I am having a tough time getting back on track. Suzanne's book, Fast & Easy is my favorite of all her SSizing books. The recipes are for people who don't really like to cook. Personally I had a hard time losing weight on her program, I seemed to have lost size instead. I was impatient because the numbers weren't going down fast enough for me. I wish I knew then what I know now. I was going through a very stressful time in my life and started eating my comfort foods, which were not SSizing foods. :( If you have any questions, hopefully either Nikki, Anne, or I can answer them for you. I'll repeat what Nikki said, no matter what plan you follow, please feel free to join our group, and a big WELCOME! :balloons:
Take care,
Ali (Aleka)

Lucyee
07-11-2005, 08:25 PM
Hi! Thanks for answering me, so promptly. You both really helped me a lot. I'd love to join your group and get to know you. I think I will just take it slowly and start eating the right way. Your suggestions were great. Thanks, Lucyee

ageoldie
07-11-2005, 11:15 PM
My first day is over. It's suprising how much you remember. I really felt pretty comfortable doing the work. And there were only a few acquard(sp) minutes with a couple of the doctors, but more good moments.

My past experience with jury duty is that I will sit around all day waiting for my name to be called then go home.

We must have gotten a little bit of Dennis this afternoon. It poured her this afternoon, just when I was on my way home. The 10 minute drive took almsot 45. There were several fender benders, several trees and limbs down and I actually saw the wind catch a metal roof of a building and rip it off like a can opener. I was scared it was going to fly over and hit my car, but it didn't. It was a scarry site.

I still haven't decided on a plan, I took a lean cusine to work today, but when I got home, I was starved and ate several cookies.

I'll check backi in tomorrow.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/new%20siggys/Barbara_Kitten_Frogs.jpg

nikkic
07-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Morning Everyone:coffee: Opps, got to get a cup of coffee:lol:

Yesterday was a busy day for me. I went to the courthouse with the kids to be their witness to get their marriage license, went with DD to order her cake, then to the store to shop. After I got home, I pulled weeds and did a few other chores. Then trimmed the hedges. After I got done with the hedges, I realized I was over heated and had to come in and cool off. I felt miserable the rest of the day and never did get back on my feet again. It really hit me quick and I had drank lots of water. I suppose it was because it's so hot and humid and I was working mostly in the sun. Today, we are going to start ripping the sofet off the west side of the house and then replacing it. I thought DH was going to remove the siding on that side today and I would not have to help, but he says that this time, he's not ripping it off till he's ready to replace it. The sofet (sp) is a real pain to try to replace. It took us days to fix the one on the north side. We are residing the house and replacing the windows, but we are doing it one side at a time, since it's just DH and I doing it and he is working too, so it's taking awhile. The plan is, to do this side and maybe the front this year. Next year, we will have to have the electrical system trenched in and taken off the outside of the house, before we can start on the last side. Before we can do that, we will have to bust up and remove the concrete driveway. DH use to pour concrete for a living, so he can replace it too. This will take a long time to complete.

Barb, I'm a cat person too. I have 3 of them. I have had dogs too, but we don't think we will have anymore. You never know though. Good luck with jury duty, hope it goes quickly for you. Those Lean Cuisines never fill me up, I have to have a salad and a piece of fruit with them.

Anne, I am thrilled that you have found Toby, he sounds like the perfect addition to your family. I am so jealous. My dad had one when I was a teenager and he was the smartest dog. What color is Toby? Do you have any pictures yet? I'd love to see him. The other day, Crystal was looking through my pictures and she said, Mom, you have more pictures of animals than you do of us kids:lol:

Lucyee (one of my favorite names btw), that is what I'm doing right now. I decided to just eat what I know is healthy, try to keep my portions under control and exercise. I'm doing pretty good with it and seem to be getting smaller. Plus, I feel better too:dancer:

Ali, hope the rain ends soon where you are. I bet your really tired of it. We could sure use some, but doesn't look like it will make it here. The ground has big, deep cracks, even where there is usually water standing all the time.

Kate, your camping trip sounds like so much fun and relaxing too. Do you have any air mattresses to sleep on? We use to do that when we camped in tents and it sure did help out.

Talk to you all later, Nikki

aleka
07-12-2005, 09:48 AM
Hello everyone~~

Yesterday, around supper time we had this deluge of rain come through. We had more rain out of that storm than we did from Dennis! :eek: Part of our street was flooded. Talk about tropical downpours! Good thing for Lacee there were only a few claps of thunder.

Lucyee, I am glad that you're going to join us. I'm doing the same, making healthier choices (most of the time). I've cut out a lot of processed foods, and eating "real" food, anything with high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils, I put back on the shelf. Also, what may help you, if you don't already do this, pay attention to what you're eating and how you feel, and when you feel comfortable, not overly full, stop eating no matter how much food is on your plate. I try to do that now. It may take some practice. I'm just getting back exercising after pulling or straining a muscle in my hip.

Barb, that must've been scary seeing that roof being torn off. You were lucky that roof didn't hit your car. Lean Cuisine doesn't stay with me either, there really isn't much food in them. There is a brand of frozen meals, Life Choice, which are low carb meals. They have about same amount of calories as the other diet meals, are very filling and stay with you. You get a lot of meat and veggies. I haven't seen them in a while in our grocery store, so I'm not sure if they still make them or not. If you do see any, they're really worth it. Glad that your first day back to work was a good one for you. It's really different having a boss other than yourself. Good luck with jury duty today.

Nikki, you really have your work cut out for you. I hope things go smoothly for you. Please take care of yourself in this heat, especially if you're not used to working in it. :drill: :D A friend of ours' replaced the windows in his house by himself and it took a long time.

Anne, how is Toby doing? You must be having such a good time watching his antics. There is nothing like a puppy, I wish they could stay puppies, forever, only trained, though. :lol:

Kate, you must be getting ready for your camping trip. You'll have so much fun.

Enjoy your day everybody.
Ali

Lucyee
07-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Hi! How is everyone doing today. When I figure out how to change my print to a nice color, than this ugly old black, I will do it. All of your posts look so pretty and bright. Thanks for all the encouraging words. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you and sharing with you. I am starting to eat better and by Monday, once I get to the store and do a little shopping I should be more on track. Hope you all have a great day. It is cloudy here, in New Jersey, today. Hi to Aleka, Nikki, Anne, Kate, Barb, I hope I haven't forgotten anyone. Please forgive me until I get into the swing of it, if I did. Weening myself off the sugar and white flour is going to take a day or so. Wish you all luck, with your weather and your programs, today. BBL. Lucyee

nikkic
07-13-2005, 11:55 AM
HI Lucyee,
When you post a reply above the place that you type, is a bunch of different symbols. To change the style of the print, click on the little arrow next to where it says verdana. Then click on whatever style you want to use. Next to this is the number 2. Click on the arrow to the right of that and you can choose the size of the print, from small to large. Next to the big A with the blue underline, click on the down arrow and you can choose the color of the the print. Hope that helps, Nikki

aleka
07-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi Lucy,

If you have the basic options on your reply page, where you physically have to put the different print and color in, you can change it so all you have to do is what Nikki told you.

Go to the top of the page where it says "USER CP" , click on that. Another page will appear. To you left, you'll see "EDIT OPTIONS", click on that. When that page pops up, scroll to the very bottom, you will see a box that says "MISCELLANEOUS OPTIONS". There will be a small window with a blue box next to it. If your's says "BASIC EDITOR", click the blue box. Three options will appear. Click on "ENHANCED INTERFACE", which is the very last option, then click "SAVE CHANGES". When you get back to the page where you type your post, it will be completely different. I hope I didn't confuse you too much. :dizzy: Ali

Katey
07-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Good evening everyone!
Just a quick post to let you know that I'm still around. It's been a crazy week. Today I had requests for four projects that had to be done immediately :dizzy: I swear that I must send out vibes when I'm going to be away and everyone contacts me right before and wants something :D I've gotten very little of "my" work done this week. But you know what...come Friday at 4 I'm out of there and I'm not going to think about the job for 9 days!!

Lucyee: Welcome! I'm basically doing WW, but I've slacked off a little. After vacation I plan to get going again full steam. You sound motivated and ready to lose. Are you exercising too? I'm into Curves...just love it....I can do anything for 30 mins :D

Nikki: We used air mattresses for a couple years. Last year we had army cots that we put sleeping bags on. It was easier getting up from those so we're going to use them again this year. My knee has been acting up and I'm not sure how it would feel having to bend it too much. How did the soffit project go? It's got to be terrible doing all that work when it's so hot. Drink, drink, drink!

Ali: I finished The DaVinci Code. It was an interesting read, but I don't consider it factual. I talked to one person who was very offended by the story line, but I just considered it fiction. I have to get some reading material to take on vacation. Has the weather calmed down for you? I wish you lots of sunshine and no more rain :cool:

Anne: How is little Toby? You must be having so much fun. DH wants to get a lab puppy. Abby is so attached to us that I don't want to upset her. If I could talk him into retiring I might consider it ;) How is :devil: ?

Barb: Glad that things are working out with your job. How was jury duty? I was chosen for a jury several years ago and found it kind of fun. Have you decided what eating plan you'll be using?

We're leaving bright and early Saturday morning, but I'll try to pop in once more before we go.

Take care,
Kate

ANNE D
07-14-2005, 06:50 AM
An early Hello Ladies!!!
We are having the biggest heat wave here. We are under constant brown
out threats and water restrictions!!!!

Toby is a sweetheart. He is apriocot coloured. I will send you guys a picture
of him this weekend. Hes too cute. So active too. The whole family just
loves him :cloud9: You'll never beleive it, but I have been eating a whole
lot less too :)

Nikki, I bet your DD is getting excited about her "big day". I hope the weather
is terrific and not too hot and humid!!!

Kate I know what you mean. My job is a zoo, I bet sometimes you guys wonder where the heck I am. We are still in the process of looking for a
notebook. I have a problem with so many sons wanting the computer at
night and naturally I have this :devil: problem during my workdays :)

Ali, I am hoping and praying that Emily stays the heck away from you guys
Enough Already!!!!!

Hi Lucyee and Welcome!!!

How are you doing Barb.

Well I am off the that wonderful workplace of mine(good grief) :dizzy:

Anne.

aleka
07-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Good morning everyone,

Anne, it's wonderful how much you and your family are enjoying Toby. I can't wait to see a picture of him. DH & I were watching the weather on our local cable news channel and it looks like Emily is heading away from us. It looks like it will make land fall somewhere in Mexico. I hope that if it does indeed land there that it'll be downgraded to a tropical storm.

Kate, isn't it always the way when you're about ready to leave on vacation? I hope it slows down for you these next couple of days. My girlfriend was offended by the book also and would not buy it. It kind of piqued my interest when she went on about it. Hope you have a great time camping. Does Abby go with you?

Barb, how was jury duty?

Nikki, you must be busy working on the house. Kate is right, drink..drink..drink! :D I find myself drinking more water down here. Between hot flashes :hot: and going outside in the heat, I sweat like a :ink: .

Lucy, that's great you're going to wean yourself off of sugar and white flour. I've read that if you feel headache-y, that's normal when weaning off of sugar. Good luck to you.

Hope you have a great day.
Later,
Ali

nikkic
07-14-2005, 11:38 AM
Morning all:D

It is so hot here, I didn't think it could get any hotter and then it did. The humidity is high, so I suppose that is what is making it feel worse. Anne, I would just go nuts with a water restriction. What does that mean for you? Does it mean no watering of gardens and washing of cars or even more?
Ali, I'm drinking a lot and making a conscious effort to drink even more. I spend more time in the toilet than anywhere else:lol: So glad to hear that Emily is not headed your way.
Kate, sounds like it will take a few days of vacation just to put the brakes on and bring yourself to a halt. Hope you have a wonderful time and get to do lots of fun things.
Barb, how is your SIL doing? Did you have to return to jury duty today or "get" to go to work? Either way, hope your day is a better one.
Lucyee, since we just met, I wanted to introduce myself a little. I'm 48, have 2 grown DD's and I'm married to a wonderful man who has somehow been able to tolerate me. I use to be an RN for the VA until I had a little accident and had to retire on a disability pension. I'm now doing some better, but I will never be able to return to that job, which is fine with me, because it was a horrible place. Besides, they are in the process of closing that facility anyway. My DH works there and will be able to retire in a few years. Hopefully, it will remain open until he can go out on a full retirement. My DD's are 27 and 24 and live on their own (yeah:lol: ). The youngest one is getting married on Friday, the oldest is looking to buy a house soon. I have 3 cats and an assortment of fish tanks. I love to garden, cook and exercise. I am at 226 lbs currently, use to be 280 and want to be 180 someday. OK, I would really like to be 150, but I thought 180 sounds more reasonable. Well, hope I haven't bored you to tears:D
Well, better finish up outside. It is so hot. DH decided he was too tired to work on the house today, I was happy to hear that. Talk to you all later, Nikki

nikkic
07-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Good Grief!

I forgot to mention the biggest news of all! I got my hair cut yesterday:lol: I have had long hair for years and it's now just below my ears. DH didn't even recognize me when he first say me. I am not sure I like it, but it's easier to take care of and cooler out in the yard. When I washed my hair this morning, it was like washing a teaspoon of hair. I was sad last night about it. I went to Walmart and kept seeing all these women with long hair and I just wanted to cry. But it needed to be done, I had bleached it to the point it was just cotton candy.
Ok, I'm out of here now:D Nikki

Lucyee
07-14-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi! I am just going to jump in and try to catch up, with all of you and your posts, until I get to know you all.
Katey I hope you have a nice vacation. Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to being with all of you, in this group. I am still trying to do lower carb eating and the transition is a little hard, from ww points. I hope I am doing the right thing. I can't believe I am still not sure, which to do. LOL!! I can't do a lot of exercise, as I have a arthritis problem in my legs and joints, but try to walk, as much as I can. Curves is great, I'm told. Also, they have low impact exercises.
Anne, Congrats on your new puppy Toby. He must be so cute and bringng lots of joy to all of you. I have a cat named Ulysses and we love him, so much. He is a pretty mink color. Thanks for welcoming me. Good luck at work.
ALi, Glad Emily is headed away from you. I worry about all the family, I have in Fl. everytime the Hurricane season comes. I love to read too. I read the DaVinci Codes last summer and also, Angels and Demons. Very good, but I didn't take it very seriously. Too me, it was a good mystery novel.
Nikki, So glad to meet you and thanks for introducing yourself to me. I retired about two yrs. ago, from my bank. I was forced to because of a buyout. I haven't adjusted to being home, as well, as you. Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are doing better. I miss getting a weekley pay check. Congrats on your DD's Wedding. I hope you have a wonderful time.
Barb, Sorry that I read your SIL is ill. My Sister, who lives in upstate New York is not well, either. I miss her so much and can't get to see her, as often, as I would like. I wish she was closer. I will remember your family in my prayers and hope SIL feels better. Good luck, on your new job.
Hope I didn't miss anyone. I followed Nikki's instructions to change the color of my text, but my browser wouldn't let me. Web TV computer can be resricted, at times.
Well, have a good day everyone. TTYL. Very hot and humid here, I am not looking forward to going out, but I need to do a little shopping. I gave up my car, when I retired, so it is pain (literally) to walk to the stores. TTYL. Lucyee

aleka
07-15-2005, 09:08 AM
TGIF!!!

Nikki, today is the day! I hope the day is perfect for your DD#2 and your almost son-in-law, and that they have a wonderful life together. :cheers: OMG, I can't get over how much you sound like me whenever I get my hair cut short. I'd see women with long or longish hair and wonder why I did it. Do you like it any better?

Lucy, what type of books do you like to read? I enjoy books that keep me on the edge of my seat. Well, I'll take a cue from Nikki and introduce myself. I'm 56...almost 57. I've been married for 33 yrs., have no children except a furry baby, a 4 yr. old Boston Terrier named Lacee (pronounced Lacy). I weigh 174 lbs., and I'm trying to get down to at least 150. I'm fairly short, and should weigh much less but, I know that ain't gonna happen, my body is not programmed that way. ;) I've struggled with my weight my whole life and I am convinced that all my dieting has brought me to my current weight. I am not following any one plan, I'm making better choices most of the time and I've started exercising again. DH & I just moved to FL last Sept. from NH, where we lived 30 yrs. But, both of us were born and brought up in different towns in MA. I am looking forward to getting to know you better.

Kate, have a safe trip to the mountains and have a fantastic time.

Anne, you've got two whole days ahead of you to play with that cute bundle of fur you've got.

Barb, how are things going at work, or are you still on jury duty? How is your SIL doing? I hope that things are better for her.

Enjoy your Friday everyone!
Ali

Lucyee
07-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Hi! Just stopping by to say hello!
Ali, I love to read Biography's of just about everyone. I also like a good mystery and love story. I also love to read books, that were made into movies. Some of the ones I read recently were older, but they were very good. When I was visiting my Sister, this Spring, I read "Nobody's Fool" which was a movie, that Paul Newman made about 10 years ago. Also, I enjoyed a book called "Brideshead Revisited", which was an old TV miniseries a long time ago. Oh, and I also like real life Murder Mysteries. I do like to watch Court TV. The trials fascinate me.
Nikki, I hope you all have a wonderful day today, at your DD's Wedding. I am sure you will look great, Hair cut and all!
Anne, I hope Toby is having a fun day, today.
Hi to Kate and Barb.
I will post more about myself. I promise.
TTYL. Lucyee

ageoldie
07-15-2005, 11:46 PM
AMEN to the TGIF!!!

I made it through my first week.It wasn't bad, but wasn't exactly what I'd call good either. The jury duty was a bust. Sat there all day and didn't even get called for a panel. But at least it was only one day.

It is going to take a little getting used to, this working thing... I felt like I wanted to cry all day Thursday. I think it finally sunk in that I was there and that that was going to be my life for a while. But it could be a lot worse!!!

My SIl is still in the hospital and today they did the bypass on her cartroid (sp) artery in her neck. They say they need to do a heart bypass, but she is not strong enought right now.

Okay, a little about me. I am 48 and married for almost 40 years (it'll be 40 in January) I have two grown sons, MIke age 36 and Mark age 35. Mike has a son Nathan who is 7. Nathan is my only grandchild. I have just started back working in the billing office of a group of Rheumatologist (there are 8 docs now) I have 2 spoiled cats, Odie & Oliver. I weigh almost 300 pounds, and can't seem to get my act together enough to loose it, but I keep trying.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, and Katey, have a great vacation!!!

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/new%20siggys/Barbara_GreenTag_TeddyBear_Flowers.jpg

Katey
07-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Yippeeeee...I'm on vacation:cb::dance: I've still got a couple things to do around the house, but I don't feel crazed. The worry is that we've had no rain and I don't want our new tree and shrubs to die. Our neighbor will come over and do some watering for us.

Nikki: I bet your new 'do looks fine. You'll get used to it. I hope that your DD's wedding turned out well. Did you shed some tears? I know I will IF my kids ever get married. I'm not holding my breath on that one:lol:

Ali: We dropped Abby off at DH's brother's tonight. She was one sad little girl when we left, but she knows them and hopefully she'll settle in. She's never really stayed with anyone else before except DS. I'm missing her tonight.

Anne: The heat has been unbearable...such humidity and they're calling for higher temps next week:faint: What a summer this has been! So far there's been nothing said about water restriction except in one town. We're on a well so that's always a little scary when there hasn't been rain. We've had storms around us, but haven't gotten any. Have a great weekend with Toby!

Lucyee: I'm an avid reader too. I mostly enjoy mysteries, but I like historical novels too. I'm taking four books to the mountains with me...one looks pretty scary...don't think I'll be reading that one at night. I'll have to do an autobiography for you when I get back:D

Barb: Hope your first week in your "new" job went well or maybe you ended up on jury duty. I just got a questionaire to answer for jury duty so I guess I'll probably be getting called again soon. It's been six years.

I hope all of you have a wonderful weekend and a great week ahead. I'll be home on the 24th so will check in then to see how all of you are doing. (Don't expect any weight loss for me:o...my eating probably won't be too good, but I will walk or kayak every day)

Take care,
Kate

Lucyee
07-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi! I had written my post and somehow, I lost it. Start over, again.
Barb, Thanks for sharing your Bio. Sorry adjusting to work is hard for you. I can imagine how you fell. I have been home for almost 3 yrs. now, and may have to go back to work part time. In fact, I know I have to. I have been looking. I hope I can adjust.
I am 65yrs. old and have been married 33 yrs. I was born and raised in a small town, in Long Island, New York. About 23 yrs. ago, my Dh and I moved to Hobobken, New Jersey. It was a big adjustment for me because it is a small city. I have grown to love it here, though. I was not blessed with children of my own, but I have been a second Mother to all my Nieces and Nephews, who I love dearly. The youngest one is now 17 yrs. old. The family lives in all different states and we all miss each other a lot. I have 3 Brothers and 1 Sister, who is not well, right now. I am able to get to see my Sister, the most, she lives in Upstate, New York. The rest of the family lives in Florida, Colorado, Maryland and Pennsylvania. I am 270lbs. give or take a pound or two. I am trying hard to get back on program and am going to try to start again, on Monday I have wasted so much time, jumping back and forth, from a low carb plan to the Flex Plan on WW. My Dh has had a bout with Cancer, but seems to be holding his own, right now, as I shared we got a good report the other day. I am active, in a couple of Church groups, enjoy coffee with the ladies, but am limited as to where I can go with them because of my leg and joint pain. Some of them are in good shape and can really get around our little city. It embarrases me, that I can't keep up. I have fallen a few times, on cracks in the sidewalk and that only made matters worse, so I am extra careful, and use a cane. I am a very young 65 except for this and it drives me crazy. I am glad to have found this thread and after one week, I feel that I can really share with all of you.
Kate, You are in Upstate NY, as well. I hope you enjoy your trip to the mountains.
Ali, Hope you are having a good day, today. I am going to babysit for my neighbors dogs, this afternoon. They are two white poodles and their names are Suzzie and Andrew, but they get mad, when my friend goes out. So, I hope they behave for me, as I am used to my Cat, Ulysses. Well, enough rambling, from me.
Anne, Hope the Wedding went Beautifully.
Nikki, Have a great Saturday.
TTYL. Lucyee

Lucyee
07-16-2005, 01:53 PM
HI Everyone, I am sorry I got mixed up about the Wedding. I guess I am having a Senior Moment.
Niki, I hope your DD's wedding is Beautiful. Sorry I got confused.
Anne, I hope Toby is enjoying your family and that you are having a good day, today. It must have been such a surprise to you, that your DD was getting married. ?? Silly me!!Hopefully, I made everyone laugh, anyway. TTYL. Lucyee

nikkic
07-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your well wishes. The bride was simply the most beautiful girl I've ever seen:queen: She looked like a princess. The wedding had a few glitches, but it was something to remember. They loved the presents DH and I gave them and then went to a B&B that we like to go to for our anniversaries, for their honeymoon. She called last night and said that she is enjoying the inn very much. It's on the Mississippi and there are hot air balloon races going on over the river, so last night, they were watching that.

Barb, I got a kick out of your bio. You must have gotten married pretty young :bb:

Kate, the weather is miserable here, suppose to be 97 tomorrow. It's in the 90's already and I feel like I'll melt when I go out there. The gardens are burning up, even though I water almost daily.

Lucyee, I also have a lot of problems walking. The injury I had was a shattered ankle and it wouldn't heal. I laid on the couch for about a year, and could only get up to go to the bathroom with either a walker or crutches. Now, they say I could have an ankle replacement, but I'm too young. I decided that I will not let it keep me down, even though every step I take hurts. (I too have that balance problem and fall over when I step on a crack, stupid cracks:lol: .) First, I bought an airwalker (The Gazelle from Tony Little) it is low impact. I could only do it for 5 minutes at first. Then, after a year or so, I graduated to walking with Leslie Sansone and WATP tapes. I have arthritis in my ankle and both knees. I've found if I exercise first thing in the morning, when I'm really stiff and feel like I can't walk at all, it makes the entire day easier and I can walk longer and better. At first, it hurts alot, but after I get going, the joints get lubricated and it gets easier. I know what you mean about it driving you crazy, it is aggrevating not to be able to do what you use to be able to.

Well, better get to the store. I have to get groceries today. Hi Ali and Anne. :grouphug:
Nikki

ageoldie
07-16-2005, 02:52 PM
I could imagine what I had said in my Bio until I went back and read it!!! Make that 58

aleka
07-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Hi everyone :coffee:

Hope you all are having a great weekend so far. We had some terriffic storms Fri. night which sprouted a tornado/waterspout about 15 miles south of us. There were some pretty impressive photos in Sat. paper.

Barb, I read your bio and thought, HMMMM, a child bride. :lol: Sorry you weren't picked to sit on a jury. Did you get a lot of reading done? Hope that your SIL will soon be strong enough for heart bypass surgery. She'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Lucy, I am so sorry about your DH. That's great you got some good news the other day. Isn't Hoboken, NJ where Frank Sinatra came from? I can imagaine how hard it is for you to get around. My joints are now starting to get stiff when I first get up in the morning or when I sit for very long. I also had Tony Little's Gazelle and loved it. Unfortunately I didn't have the room for it in FL so had to get rid of it. :(

Nikki, I'm so glad the wedding went well inspite of the glitches. I'm sure your DD was a beautiful bride. Did it get to 97 like they predicted? It's about that down here. I have seen 100 on the thermometer in my car. We don't have a decent thermometer at the house so I never know what the temp. is.

Anne, how is Toby doing?

Kate, I envy you camping in the cool mountains. Well, at least I hope it's cool for you. :s:

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Ali

Lucyee
07-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Hi! Everyone, Hope you are enjoying a nice Sunday.
Nkki, Sounds like your DD's Wedding was great. Congrats again. You must have felt so proud. Gosh, it sure looks like you have been through, so much, with your injuries, as well. Thank God, you are doing a little better, now.
Ali, Yes, Frank Sinatra was born in this little city, across the river from Manhatten, NY. In fact, the park across the street from me is dedicated to him and there is a lot here to remind you of him. One restaurant, only plays his music and his pictures are all over the Wall. The cafe in the park is named Sinatra Park. Sorry, your joints are stiffening up, too. Once you get moving, they do get better, but getting started is hard. Thanks for the encouraging words, about my DH. We were lucky to get good news, after last scans. Hope it continues.
Katie, Hope you are enjoying the mountaiAnens.
Barb, Hope you are having a good Sunday. Anne, Hi and have a good day.
TTYL. Lucyee

aleka
07-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Good morning everyone,

Well, we managed to get by one day without having a thunder storm roll through. These thunder storms are starting to get old.:D

Lucy, do you ever get to Manhattan? That is one of my favorite places. Before DH & I moved to FL, my cousin & I would go to NYC a weekend or two after Thanksgiving with a tour group to see the sights, do some shopping, and see the Christmas Show at Radio City Music Hall. Hope everything went well for you yesterday on your first day of your new eating program.

Hi Anne, Nikki, Kate, Barb :wave: Hope things are going well for you. Kate, hope you're having a wonderful time.

Talk to you later,
Ali

Lucyee
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
HI!
Ali, I am doing pretty good so far, and am trying low carbing on the flex plan. I still have to get to the grocery store and get some more fruit and salad stuff. Wow, once you get sidetracked, you have to start all over again. Glad you got away without a Thunder storm, yesterday. It is very hot and humid here, in NJ. Surpirsed it hasn't rained here, yet, but it did in some parts of the state, yesterday and they had big time flooding. Thank God, we don't get that. Your trips to Manahattan sound like they were so much fun, for you and your friends. I used to go in with my Dh to see shows and that, but we don't go as often, as we used to. Between my legs and joint problem and his not feeling all that well, it has been less recently. My niece from MD. loves to come and stay with me, with her GF and then, the two of them head into the city, for sales and shopping trips and shows. I enjoy that they can do it and stay here, with me. Hope you have a good day.
Big hello to: Barb, Nikki, Kate and Anne.
Stay cool, wherever you are. TTYL. Lucyee

nikkic
07-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Hi everyone:wave:

DH and I are starting to work on the house again (Lucee, we are remodeling and right now, we are putting on new siding and installing new windows). It's not as hot as it was, but tomorrow, it's suppose to be close to 100. That will be miserable. We need to run up to the lumbaryard to get a few supplies, so I'm waiting for DH to take a shower and then we will get going. We already got some of the boards on this morning on one section.

Ali, if you could only send some of that rain up here. We did get a shower the other night. I ran out at midnight to take the canvas cover off my gazebo. They said the next day that the winds were blowing at 65 mph when I was struggling with that darned thing blowing all over the place.

Kate must be camping, anyone remember how long she will be gone?

Anne, how's the puppy doing?

Barb, hope your job is going well and that your doing ok.

Lucee, after the 1st year of my accident, I was so angery all that year. I went from working 8-16 hours a day, 6-7 days a week- to no work, a good pay check to nothing. Then one day, I realized my muscles had atrophied to the point that I could only sit up for 5 minutes and then had to lay down exhausted. It was a turning point for me. I knew if I didn't fight it, I'd be an invalid the rest of my life. I started to look at it as a gift. I am a completely different person than I was 5 years ago and much happier and healthier for it. I also know, I would never have met all of you guys and it's been a wonderful experience to have you all to talk to.

Anyway, I went to McD's yesterday with DD#2 and had their apple walnut salad. It was pretty good and I knew I could make it at home, minus the candied walnuts. I came home and stirred up some FF yogurt with splenda and vanilla, sliced a banana, added a handfull of blueberries and mixed this all together. I was shocked, it was good! Anybody else have any quick, easy snack ideas that they like to eat?

Well, looks like DH is about ready to go, so I'll TTYL (as Lucee says:) ) Nikki

aleka
07-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Hello everyone, :coffee2:

I forgot to mention in yesterday's post that late Mon. afternoon I happened to look out my kitchen window, and a mother raccoon and her little ones were walking through our neighbor's back yard. They were so cute.

Nikki, how did everything go working on the house? I hope it stayed cool for you yesterday. Hope you don't get the 100 weather today. I wish I could send some rain your way. Your snack sounds yummy! That's a good idea sharing snack ideas. Now that DD #2 has been married 5 days, how does she like married life so far? :D

Lucy, that's nice your niece comes and stays with you so she can visit NYC. When we were a lot younger, that same cousin & I had an aunt who lived in NYC, who we visited as much as we could. How is your low carbing going?

Anne, how are things going with you so far this week? Hope :devil: isn't being her usual self. How is Toby?

Barb, hope things at work are going well for you. Are your mother and sisters still in St Padre Islands? Hope they're not there for Emily. How is you SIL doing?

Hi Kate :wave:

My snack idea. Take a small box of any flavor fat-free, sugar-free pudding, and add 2 cups fat-free plain yogurt. Mix it for 2 min. Cover, and refrigerate (or you could eat a serving right away). Makes 4 1/2 cup servings, or 2 1 cup servings. My favorite pudding for this is cheesecake flavor. :T

Enjoy your Wednesday everyone.

Ali

nikkic
07-20-2005, 09:47 AM
Good morning,
Wow, what a big ad that loads before this page. I saw in the upper right corner the skip this ad box, so I clicked on that,

It was hot yesterday, but we ran out of material, so had to go to the lumbaryard. DH is working on the house now and he doesn't need any help, so I've been piddling around the house and yard. Got lots of cherry tomatoes and green peppers picked and still have some beets to pull up.

Ali, I think DD is very happy, I haven't talked to her since Sunday, she has been at work and is gone from 1030am to 730pm so unless she calls me, I don't call her, as I know how tired she is. She does most of the yard work and the house work, so she is always busy. He goes to school part time as well as works full time, so he's busy too. I still can't get use to the idea that she has a different last name though.
Love your snack idea, I'll have to go to the store and get some ff yogurt now:lol:

Hope everyone else is doing ok. Take care everyone, Nikki

aleka
07-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Hello again...

OOPS! In my snack idea, I forgot to mention it's instant pudding. :o

ANNE D
07-20-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi Guys,
Work is nuts. :devil: is up to her ususal ways. She has made my co worker
an absolute nervous wreck. The poor soul was sobbing and crying. My new tatic for dealing with :devil: is to agree with everything she says so she can't argue with me :lol:

Toby is a sweet heart. I hoping to have pictures emailed by this weekend!!
He has brought real joy to our lives :cloud9: David seems to be really enjoying
the puppy too!!

Nikki, I am so happy to hear the wedding went well My congratulations to
your daughter :cp:

Ali, our place has so many racoons too! We see them every day even during
the day!!!!

Kate, I hope your vacation is relaxing and alot of fun!!!!

Hi Barb, Hi Lucy!!
Better go or I'll be getting some :tantrum: from :devil:

Anne.

Lucyee
07-20-2005, 07:39 PM
HI Everyone, Well, today I walked to the store and the heat was terrible, here in NJ. I am sure everyone else is having a time of it, too.
Anne, Sounds like that person you work with is something else. Your tactic seems to be a good way to handle someone, as angry as that. If you don't react to her, she can't argue with you. Hope she stops making your co worker cry.
Nikki, I hope you and your DH managed working on the house, in the terrible heat, okay. Thanks for sharing all that you have gone through with your joints etc.. It is an inspiration, to keep going like you did and that there is hope in everything and something to be grateful for.
ALi, Thanks for the recipe, for the snack. It sounds delcious. Have you seen the Raccoon family, anymore. It must be swelterng in FL. Hang in there.
Barb, Big Wave, Hope you are not working too hard.
Kate, Hope you are having fun, in the mountains.
As far as my low carbing, I am doing okay, although, I really had to cut way back on bread, big time. I was eating more bread, than I thought. Am replacing it, with more protein and I am sure, I will begin to feel more energetic, after I get going.
Have a good night ladies and stay cool. Lucyee

aleka
07-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi there!

Yesterday I walked with Leslie, the 2 mile walk, and I used the hand weights. I plan on using the hand weights every other day.

Anne, I feel so bad for your co worker. I don't know what is wrong with her, (:devil: ). Is there anyone higher up that you both could go to and complain? That's a great way to handle :devil: by agreeing with her all the time. :bravo: :s: Glad that Toby is there to greet you when you get home. There is nothing like a wagging tail and an excited dog to greet you at the door. :love: That is so good your son David is enjoying the puppy. Is it still hot and humid where you are?

Nikki, Ya, I got that ad too. Did you get your F/F yogurt? After I posted that I realized I hadn't had it in a while so I went out later and got some S/F-F/F lemon pudding (one flavor I haven't tried) and some F/F yogurt. How did things go yesterday with the house siding?

Lucy, that's great news about you walking to the store! :cb: :cp: No, I haven't seen the racoon family again. DH was hoping to see them on his day off, but they haven't come around again. It is hot here in FL whenever I run errands, my back is soaking wet by the time I get home. I have noticed though that I'm drinking a lot more water than I used to. As Martha Stewart would say, it's a good thing. ;)

Hi Kate & Barb!

Talk to you later,
Ali

ageoldie
07-22-2005, 09:36 PM
Hi Gang, We a lot has gone on in m life since I posted Saturday. It started when I got a call to go pick my mother up from work because she was sick. When I got there I found out that she had passed out. She said she was just tired from too much traveling and fun, so we didn't think much about it. By Monday afternoon she was worse and so week she could hardly set up so we took her to the ER. To make a long hard story short, she have 4 tumors in her brrain, tumors in her right kidney, on her thryoid, and several in her lungs and chest cavity. The are a very aggressive quick moving type cancer and they are in stage 4. We brought her home today and she starts radiation in her head Tuesday. They said it will help shrink the tumors that are there and keep more from forming, it is supposed to help her maintain sme quality of life, during this time.
Add that t0 having a new j0b, and i haven't thught ab0ut what I was eating, and I haven't d0ne much exercise all week, and I haven't had time fr the cmputer

Glad all f yu are ding 0kay. Guess what letter is sticking!!!

Barb.g

nikkic
07-22-2005, 09:59 PM
Barb,

I am so sorry to hear about your mother. I will keep her and your family and you in my prayers. You have been under so much stress lately, it would be impossible for me to think about or worry about what I was eating or exercising. Just know we are here any time you need to talk.
Take care, Nikki

aleka
07-23-2005, 07:34 AM
Barb, I am so sorry about your mother. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. You have an awful lot going on in your life right now so don't be too hard on yourself about not eating right and not exercising. I do know what you're going through now with your mother. As Nikki said, we're here for you.
Ali

Lucyee
07-23-2005, 06:07 PM
Dear Barb, I was so sorry, to read about your Mom. My thoughts and prayers will be with your Mom and you and your family. I understand what you are going through. Don't pressure yourself, with diet and exercise. We are all here, for you. Anytime, you need to unload, my e mail is Lucysheehan@webtv.net Thinkig about you. Lucyee

nikkic
07-25-2005, 09:04 AM
Hi Everyone:wave:

Barb:grouphug: I know that this is a really hard time for you, I continue to praying for you and your family for comfort and strength.

Kate, are you back from camping yet? I wondered if it ever cooled down for you.

Lucyee, how is the low carbing going? I looked into the South Beach Diet again, but found it too be so boring/limiting, I knew I won't stick with it.

Anne, how's the puppy? I bet your really happy that David has taken to him. Animals have a path to people's hearts that is very special.

Ali, have the storms subsided yet?

We have had nothing but extremely high temps and humidity for days now. It's been extremely miserable here and I have to water the flowers twice a day, which is something I've not had to do in years. I haven't even been outside, except in the very early morning, and even then, it's very hot and humid. I do go out in the afternoon and water down my outside cat, who hates it, but seems to also understand what I'm doing, so he tolerates it too. He cries about it, but doesn't offer to scratch me either.
We are suppose to get one more day of this kind of weather and then some cooler air is suppose to move down from Canada and it will only be in the upper 80's. DH will be on days off by then, so when we start to work on the house again, it will not be so miserable outside.
TTYL:) , Nikki

Lucyee
07-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Hi! everyone, Hope you are all surviving the heat. Back and forth, with this humidity. Even with the air conditioning on, everything in the apt. feels soggy and wet. I have been putting off vacumning.
Nikki, I read the South Beach plan, my Dh bought the book, even though, he never has anymore than a few pounds, to lose and that is usuallly, only after the Xmas holidays. LOL! Talk about differences between husband and wives. I think I have decided to go back to the WW plan, again. I am finding it too hard to stay on a full low carb way of eating. I got out all my books and re read them and at least, I can have a variety of food, rather than sticking to particular choices. I will keep a very close eye, on what choices I make as far as sugar and white flour. I will keep it at a miniumum. hope it works, for me. Thanks for asking.
Barb, thinking of you and your family, with prayers. My heart goes out to you.
Anne, How is Toby? Did he watch the Dog Show, on Tv, over the weekend?
Kate, Hope you are still having fun, on vacation.
Ali, Another thunder storm, this afternoon? One of the things, that used to amaze me, when I used to visit Florida, year ago, was that it would suddenly start raining and everyone would start skidding, while driving. The ground was so dry and then suddenly wet. Is that still happening, there? Hope you have a good day.
Nikki, Hope your cat enjoys his shower.Take care. TTY all later, Lucyee

nikkic
07-26-2005, 09:29 AM
Morning Everyone:yawn:

Lucyee I completely agree about your choice in dieting. I find that low carbing is really hard for me to stick to. Especially this time of year, when the sweet corn is so great and the fruits are at their peak. I would hate to give that up. With WW you can have that and more and lose weight. Like you said, if you watch the white stuff, limiting it or eliminating it, then you will be following a much healthier eating plan altogether.
We got some much needed rain here and it's cooled off considerably. Just in time, as DH days off are now and we will be working on the house for the next 3 days. My poor zucchini, it melted in the ground with the intense heat and sun that we have had. My green beans are now little brown sticks. The tomatoes and pepper plants are all thriving though.
Well, better get another cup of coffee and get my day going.
Barb, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers:grouphug: .
Take care everyone, Nikki

aleka
07-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Good morning everyone,

In an earlier post I mentioned the mother raccoon and her little ones. The other night DH & I were eating supper on the lanai when she and her little ones were walking across our neighbor's back yard, on the other side of our chain link fence into the scrub brush right next to our house. They were walking in the scrub brush along our chain link fence when they smelled our supper. They all stopped and peered at us through the chain link. We got such a kick out of all the faces looking at us. They were so cute!! :lol:

Barb, how is your mother doing? You and your family are still in my thoughts and prayers. I hope that you are taking care of yourself. :grouphug:

Lucy, the author of the South Beach Diet also has a companion book, called Good Carbs and Bad Carbs. There is an extensive list of what carbs to eat more of, what carbs to eat occasionally, and what not to eat. That is great you've decided to start WW. What I like about it is that you can choose what you want to eat, if you feel like a little treat for yourself, you can have it without feeling guilty. On WW I don't feel guilty eating corn, peas, winter squash, or potatoes like I did when I SSized. Are you still getting hot temps?

Nikki, glad you got some much needed rain and that it has cooled off. The temps and humidity you were having sounded just awful. I hope it stays comfortable for you the rest of the summer. Did you have record breaking temps? :beach:

Anne, hope things are going well for you. How is SS coming along? I've decided to count points again. This time I'm very motivated. We'll be heading north in Sept., hopefully, :crossed: and I want to lose some weight before we go.

Kate, are you home from your camping trip? If so, I hope you had a great time.

Hope all of you have a great day.
Take care, Ali

nikkic
07-26-2005, 02:01 PM
HI Again,
If you guys want to see the birth and life of a baby hummingbird, check out this link. There are several pages, so you have to keep clicking next page at the bottom.:D

http://community-2.webtv.net/hotmail.com/verle33/HummingBirdNest/

Lucyee
07-26-2005, 06:00 PM
HI! Nikki, How are you doing? Thanks for all the encouragement, regarding the WW program. I think I made a good choice. Glad to hear that you got some rain and that it cooled things off, for your area. It will make it easier for you and Dh to get your work done, on the house. Too bad, about your String beans and zucchini plants, but terrific, that your Tomato and Pepper plants, survived. I love fresh tomatoes and peppers. Yum!! Hope you had a nice cup of coffee, this morning.
Ali, That little Racoon family sounds so cute. I can just see their little faces, peering at you and your DH, while you were eating. LOL! Thanks for the info, on the South Beach, companion booklet, that will be a big help, in determing the better carb choices, which is what I want to do, while following my WW pts. plan. I have to get to Barnes & Noble and get one. It is not easy to get to the stores, here, without a car. It is up to 98 degrees, today in NJ and they expect the same for tomorrow. Oh Boy!! Anyway, have a good night.
Big Prayers to you Barb.
Waves to Anne and Kate.
TTYL. Lucyee

aleka
07-27-2005, 08:17 AM
Hello everybody,

Nikki, those pictures were wonderful. Can you imagine anyone getting that close with a camera to see how the eggs hatch and the patience to sit there. I copied & pasted the link and sent it to quite a few people. Thank you for sharing it with us. Are you enjoying your cooler temps?

Lucy, sorry that it's gotten so hot. Living in the city for some reason, probably from all the black pavement, it seems a lot hotter. I can remember being in NYC in the summer and how hot it was. Hope it cools down for you soon. I've got the Good Carb/Bad Carb book somewhere around here. I'm embarrassed :o to say we haven't unpacked all of our boxes yet when we moved, so I assume it's in one of those.

Barb, still thinking about you.

Hi Anne, Kate :wave:

Enjoy your day!
Ali

nikkic
07-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Morning all,

It is so nice here this morning, the low last night was 52 degrees. We will be working on the house today and I couldn't have asked for better weather to work outside in.

Lucyee, wish I could give you some peppers and tomatoes. I love them and can't wait to eat a good tomato, there is nothing like it. We had some corn on the cob last night and it was so, so good. I never knew that it was good without butter, but it actually is.

Ali, glad you liked the pictures, it was something to see, huh? I bet that person has a lot of patience. I'm practically rolling on the lawn like a cat (or a dog:lol: ), I'm enjoying this cool weather so much.

Hi Anne and Kate, Barb:goodvibes sending you good vibes.

Lucyee
07-27-2005, 12:29 PM
Hi Ali, Yes, it is hot here, today. I am going out, in about an hour and we'll see how long, I last out there. LOL!
All the books you mentioned sure sound helpful. I know what you mean about unpacking. It takes time, to get everything done. The emotional part of moving, also takes it's toll. I have a lot of housework to get done and just don't feel like doing it. Stay cool.
Nikki, Thanks for the thought, of sending me Tomatoes and Peppers. LOL! This is the best time of year, for fresh and home grown veggies. Happy for you about your 52 degrees. Yeah!! I would love to be in that kind of weather right now. We are headed for the high 90's today. Ugh! Have a good day, today and enjoy.
Thoughts to Barb. Hi to Anne and Kate.
TTYL. Lucyee

ANNE D
07-27-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi There All:
We are finally getting some rain. All the lawns look like straw.
Nikki, loved those hummingbird pics, really cool. Imagine the patience that
would take!!!

Lucyee, I once upon a time lost 100 pounds on WW. It is a great program no
doubt there.

Ali, the pavement on our streets was so hot Toby did not want to walk on
the sidewalks. My DS Sean has been walking Toby at 6am before the sun
becomes unbearable. The rest of the outings during the day are in our
back yard. My mom has a beautiful garden and the puppy frolics happily
out there :cloud9:
Toby is going to the vet on Saturday. Poor little guy has to get a shot.
We are all already feeding him from our plates at dinner time. I know you
aren't supose to but I can't help it. My friend told me "don't tell the vet
that"
Barb, I am thinking about you.

Kate, I hope your vacation is going terrific!!!

Have a great day ladies.
Anne.

aleka
07-28-2005, 08:27 AM
Hi everyone :wave:

Anne, glad that you're getting some rain. That's really good Toby has a place to run around during the day. It's going to be interesting when he sees his first snow fall ( I know, you don't want to think about that yet) ;) All of our dogs, except for one, always were fed food from our plates. The only reason the one dog didn't get food, was she'd always have an upset tummy when we gave her "people" food. Lacee loves veggies. When we brought Lacee to her new Vet, he asked if she liked vegetables, and I told him that I'd put whatever left over veggies we had in her dish. He said, "Good!"

Lucyee, how long did you stay out yesterday with the heat? I hear you about not feeling like doing housework. I did manage to vacuum and dust yesterday, so that's done. I still have to wash the kitchen & bathroom floors. :headache:

Nikki, 52 :cb: :cp: :dance::cheer: That must've felt good. I hope your heat wave is over with. With these cooler temps working on the house must feel so much better than before. Whenever this project is over with, you and your DH should have a really nice celebration.

Hi Kate & Barb :coffee: Barb, want to send some good wishes your way. :bubbles:

As Lucyee says, TTYL :)
Ali

Katey
07-28-2005, 09:15 AM
Hi Everybody!
I'm back! I wrote a long post to all of you last night and lost it all. My internet connection keeps going down at home :( Just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten about you. Had a great time on vacation. Weather was perfect. I went on a 5 mile bike ride every day, swam, and kayaked plus I did very little snacking so I feel pretty good about that.

Barb: I'm so very sorry to hear about your mother. What a difficult time for you and your family. I hope that you have other family members close by for support and we're always here for you too. I've got you in my prayers.

I need to get to work. Hi to all of you! I'm going to call about my internet service today so hopefully I can get it fixed.

YEAH FOR THE COOLER WEATHER!!!! :dance:

Take care,
Kate

ageoldie
07-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Just a drive by post to let everyone know I'm still hanging in there. That's about all I can say. After oonly two weeks on the job I remember all the reasons I left there in the first place. Four years later all the bickering and *****ing and complaining about the doc's is still the same.

Mom is doing better than any of the rest of us. She said maybe she is still in shock, but I think it's more denial. She talks about when she get over this... it's a goood thing she blacked out at work, or she wouldn't have known she had it until it was too late... etc etc etc. Anyway she had her first radiation treatment yesterday and physically she is doing great.

Well I AM going to exercise this morning, so I have to get ready. I'll try to stop by more often and sometime when I have more time.

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers.

Barbg

ANNE D
07-28-2005, 11:46 AM
Good Morning All:
Aleka, I have been printing off recipes for the puppy. He does not like dog food at all. I was thinking of preparing stew in our crock pot for him.
I don't blame the little fellow. I just need to assure myself he is getting
everything he needs for his good health. I don't mind sharing our food with
him. We are such a big family that there is always enough. Do dogs eat
potatoes?

Barb, I am happy to hear your mothers radiation treatment went well. You
will be a great support for her during this time.

Kate! Five miles a day on your bike!!! swiming, kyaking :cp: :strong: you
are quite the athlete. Good for you!!! I second your yeah for the cooler
weather. It feels like a little bit of heaven after all these days of :flame: :hot:

Hi Lucyee how things going today?

Hi Nikki, Is the weather still cooler? I just love it. I am going to take a long
walk during my lunch hour. Who knows when the next wave of heat is
coming. In our case I believe it is Saturday.

Talk to you guys later.
Anne.

Lucyee
07-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Hi Anne, Glad you finally got some rain. Congrats on losing the 100 lbs. on WW. It is a good program and usually gets good reviews. I am doing okay and staying within my pt. range, so far. Poor little Toby having to get a shot, on Saturday. Our pets are our babies, that is for sure. I bet he just loves his dinner from the table, they all do. Some vets don't say anything, as long as he can handle people food. Have a good day.

Ali, I stayed out about one hour yesterday. It was unbearable, at 100 degrees and I was very glad to get back home, again and into the air conditioning. I was feeling wobbly. Finally, we got relief last night, so that is why I am doing some house work, today. Hope you are managing in your humidity. Take care.

Nikki, How's the project coming along. At least it is cool and I am sure you and your Dh are so happy about that. Hope it last, for a while. How are the tomatoes and the zucchini doing?? LOL!! TTYL.

Welcome back, Kate, It looks like you had a really nice time and what great exercise, you had. Fun stuff. Hope your internet gets fixed quickly. Stay cool and don't work too hard.

Barb, Good to hear from you. Sorry your job is as bad as it was before. Good news, that your Mom is handling her illness, okay, so far. It sounds like she is holding up, very well. My Dh just finished an extensive round of Chemo, back in March and is doing okay so far. We just keep the prayers going. It is a terrible shock and a rough thing to go through. Hang in there.
Well, I have to go back to my chores, UGH!! Wish I could afford a cleaning lady. LOL!!
Great day to all. Lucyee

aleka
07-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Good morning everyone,

Woke up to thunder and lightning for the 2nd morning in a row. Apparently there are thunder storms going along the coast.

Kate, welcome back! Glad you had a good time on your camping trip. You really did get a lot of exercise, especially the 5 mile bike rides. :bravo: Have you got your internet up and running again?

Lucyee, sorry it's so hot that it's miserable to be outside. I know how hot the city can be. It's been in the 90's here, but I don't seem to mind it very much whenever I step outside for anything. It's humid, but I have felt worse humidity in NH. Go figure! :?: :)

Anne, Lacee likes potatoes, and just about everything else. ;) Whenever DH & I have Thanksgiving Dinner and Christmas Dinner, I always give Lacee a little bit of everything we're eating. She devours it. :cbg: The only thing that I do know of that a dog should not have is chocolate. It can be very toxic to them. Good luck to Toby tomorrow getting his first shot. Do you have to have him tested for heartworm up there? When we were in NH, Lacee got heartworm medicine from May-Oct. Down here she has to have it year round.

Barb, that's good your mother seems to be handling things so well. Sorry that your work place isn't so hot. I don't like all that bickering either, it doesn't make for a good environment.

Nikki, how are things going on the house? Hope you're still getting cooler weather so you can work on it.

Hope everyone is having a nice day.
Ali

nikkic
07-29-2005, 11:40 PM
HI Everyone:wave:

The past few days have been a whirlwind of activity here. I wasn't able to use my computer for a good day, because it was covered up. We did get 3 windows in the wall and I got three rooms spring cleaned, due to the construction dust. DH says, he might have to cut more drywall around the windows, so I'm going to have to spring clean the rooms again. This time won't be as bad though, just get out my feather duster and dust the stuff.
Couldn't have done that last time, as things were really needing a good going over:o

Barb, you and your mom are still in my prayers and thoughts. Sometimes, hope and a postitive attitude are more important than any medicine that can be given.

Kate, your vacation sounds like so much fun. Was it hot or comfortable? You must be in pretty good shape to be able to do all those things. I've always wanted to kayak, but never have. It looks like such fun!

Anne, you might consider a dog vitamin if you are going to feed him people food. Plus, cook him some organ meat for an occasional feeding. I have a friend that cooks her cat a turkey every month and then portions the meat out, wraps it in plastic and freezes it.
Well, anyway, I've seen dogs survive just fine on people food. When I was growing up, most people didn't have money for dog food and the dogs ate the scraps. All the dogs I've ever had have loved potatoes off the table.

Ali, it is hot and humid here again. We had great weather for working outside in though. It really helped us to get more done.

Lucyee, I am going to have to get up early and pick vegetables in the morning. I love to do that. The locust are starting to sing and that reminds me that summer is starting to wind down, even though it seems it just got started. Next year, I'm not putting in as much garden. The yard is getting so shadey with the trees getting so big. I figure I can go to the farmers market for some things and still have room for a few tomato plants and peppers out back.

Well, better close and get ready for bed, take care everyone, Nikki

nikkic
07-30-2005, 09:17 AM
Just dropped in to say a big Happy Birthday (belated by one day) to Ali

:hb: :cb: :gift: :hat: :woo: :grouphug: :balloons: :cheer: :queen: :high: :flow2: :bravo:

Hope you had a wonderful day!

Nikki

Lucyee
07-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi Everybody, Just stopped in to say hello. How is everyone, doing? I am doing okay, here in good old NJ. It is a bit cooler, so we are managing better. The worst time of the day is the afternoon, lately.
Nikki, Glad that you and your Dh got the windows done. That is quite a job, I'm sure. I bet you are both looking forward to the day, when you can sit down, look around you and say: "We Did It". A garden is a big job and as you said you can get the veggies from the Farmer's Market. We have a lot of open air markets, here in our little city. The veggies amd fruits are cheaper, than the super market. So, we do get the advantage of the fresh produce.
Ali, You are still getting your thunder storms, a fact of life in Florida. I spoke to some of my family, the other day and they are doing okay. They are used to the Florida weather and they love it there.I miss them, though.
Barb, Prayers and thoughts are with you, still. Hope the job is going okay.
Kate, I will be going upstate NY, in August, to visit my Sister and BIL. I probably will stay up there, about 3 weeks. They are in the Binghmaton area. When I go up, my Brother in law, always takes me to my favorite stores. So, I have fun.
Anne, Hope Toby took his shot today, okay. Poor little guy. Ulysses, my cat sends his regards. LOL!
Well, time to get the dinner going. Tonight, I am doing pork chops, cauliflower, baked potato and salad. I must admit though, I am longing for something sweet. What can I tell you? Take care and TTYl. Lucyee

ageoldie
07-30-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi Gang, I've had a pretty good day. I slept a little later than usual, took my mom to buy some groceries (the one thing the doc ordered her not to do is drive and it's driving her crazy!!) and to lunch.

Later I took a nap and been lazy all afternoon. I did accomplish something I've been trying to do for over three weeks. I listed three items on EBAY. I took the picture, but haven't had time to get them listed. If they sell I'm going to lis t some more, but if they don't it's much too much work!!!

Barb

aleka
08-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Hi everyone,

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend. DH & I went to Ft Myers on Sat. and had lunch at a waterside restaurant next to a marina. As we were leaving Ft Myers we noticed a huge black cloud heading our way from the south. Yep, it followed us home, but we beat it by an hr. or so. :stress:

Nikki, thank you for your birthday wishes. How are things going with your house? You must feel good having those windows in place. That was quite an accomplishment. :bravo: It's funny you should mention about the locust singing. In NH, the crickets used to make noise during the day when summer was winding down. I used to love listening to them because I knew fall was just around the corner. I have no idea what goes on in FL, I'll have to listen.

Anne, how did Toby make out with his first trip to the Vet? Hope he didn't mind his first shot. That's a good idea Nikki had about giving your dog some vitamins if you're going to make his dog food. When I used to cook a turkey, I would always boil up the giblets and give them to the dogs. They absolutely loved it.

Barb, glad that you had a good day. Good luck with selling on E Bay.

Lucyee, I love going to the farmer's market to buy vegetables. Down here people sell veggies and fruit off their trucks on the sides of the road. We used to frequent a farm stand to get their fresh picked corn. OMG, was it ever good.

Kate, how was work after your vacation? Hope things are going well with you.

Have a nice day everyone.
Ali

ageoldie
08-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Just stopping by to say Hi. Yesterday was a very down day. Nothing specific, just one of those days. I did got to the club and exercise before work, so I should get points for that. I'm sitting here trying to talk myself into going back today, but I'm just not int he mood. Will it do any good. Well, I hope everyone had a great weekend, and are having a good weekend.

Barbara

nikkic
08-02-2005, 12:50 PM
HI Everybody,

I'm catching up on my yard work. DH has starts his vacation in 3 days and we will devote the entire time to working on the house, so I want to try to get everything done before then. At least this time of year, the weeds aren't sprouting up as much.

Lucyee, it will be years and years before we can sit down and say this place is all done. It's ok though, it keep us out of trouble:lol: We have started to enjoy it so much, that we are talking about buying houses to flip after DH retires, for extra income and because we like it. We could work on them full time, so it would go much faster.

Barb, exercise is very good for relieving stress, so if nothing else, it will help some that way. How's the ebay stuff doing?

Ali, this morning, I was pulling weeds and grabbed a locust. It started to make that buzzing sound and scared me a good one. I screamed, because I thought it was a snake for a second. Then I realized what it was and I had a good laugh. I wear gloves anymore, because the yard is full of poison ivy. I pull it out by the roots, spray with an herbicide made for poison ivy and the stuff seems to flouish. Everyday I go out and there is more of it.

Hi Anne and Kate, hope things are well with you, TTYL, Nikki

ANNE D
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Hi Everyone :wave:

Ali!!!! Hope you had a super Birthday celebration on Friday :hb: :gift: :woo: :balloons:
Toby did great at the Vets on Saturday. He got three shots. One was for
distemper, one was for hepatitis, another for kennel cough??
He needs to go back in a month for a top up of the shots he has rec'd and
also it will be time for a rabies shot. He was alittle to young for that one
this time. The vet also gave him a pill for de-worming and a second pill
for us to give him on August 13. The vet made it look sooo easy.
He will begin receiving his heart worm meds when he is 6 months old.
That is also when I was advised to have Toby "fixed". Poor little guy :(
Nikki, when we bought Toby we bought some doggie vitamins. The little :devil: won't take them. We were advised to put a dab on our finger
and let the puppy lick it off. No such luck!!! :lol: I should try to mix it in his
dinner. As long as he doesn't detect it.........
The Vet couldn't believe he only weighed 5 pounds. With all that fur you
would figure he was heavier :dizzy:
Kate: We are back to the deep heat again!!! How about you? It is going
to be a sizzler all week long.
Lucyee, we have a farmers market at City Hall every Wednesday. I am going
tomorrow on my lunch hour to check it out :yes: I always say, I rather give
my money to the farmers!!!!
Barb, I have often thought of selling stuff on ebay. I'll be interested to see
how you do.
Take care everyone, Talk to you Wednesday!!!
Anne.

Lucyee
08-02-2005, 03:19 PM
Good Afternoon, All!
Ali, I think I missed a message, that it was your Birthday, last Friday. I am so sorry. Happy, Happy Belated Birthday to you. Some how, I was looking straight at it and it didn't ring a bell. Maybe, I'm just tired because Dh has been sick with this Respiratory Infection and he has been coughing all night, since last Thursday. I am Bleary Eyed, from lack of proper sleep. Yesterday, he finally got a hold of the Dr. and he prescibed some Antibiotics, Nasal Meds, and a good stiff cough syrup. Last night, it was still not working yet, so I guess it will take a day or two, to show results. Anyway, I hope you had a wonderful day. Now, I hope I haven't mixed this up, too. LOL!!
Nikki, That is great about your Dh having vacation. I am sure, you are both really looking forward to it. Also, all the extra time it gives you both to devote to your working on the house. Flipping houses at Retirement sounds like a super idea and as you said you would have plenty of leisure time, to work on them. Retirement is when you want to keep busy, I have learned that for sure. Be careful, with the Poison Ivy and also, the Little Critters. You don't want anything, to ruin your vacation.
Anne, It sounds like Toby did very well, with his visit to the Vet. All those shots and the ones to come. Poor little guy. It is definetly a work of magic, to get our pets to take their Meds, isn't it. I've tried all the tricks, but usually was successful, puttng it in the food. Good Luck.
Barbara, Sorry to hear that you are feeling down. Things are really tough, on you right now and your family. Believe me, I can really relate to you. I have been through, what you are going through. All you can do is the best you can. Sorry to hear that your Mom can't drive. It must be so hard, on her. You are still in my thoughts and prayers. Keep your chin up. Great job on going to do your exercise. Take care.
Waving Hi! to Kate.
TTYL, Lucyee

aleka
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Good afternoon everybody,

I was out running errands most of the morning. Had to leave the computer off most of the afternoon because of pop up T-storms. Just had one go through a little while ago. It has cooled things down a bit.

Anne & Lucylee, thank you both for your birthday wishes. :thanks:

Lucyee, I am so sorry that your DH isn't feeling very well. I hope the antibiotics help. It will take a day or two for everything to start working. Hopefully you can get some rest before you leave on your trip.

Anne, Toby sounds like he made out very well at the Vet. Congratulations!! Are the vitamins in liquid or pill form? If they are in pill form, wrap it in a piece of meat, cheese, cut off a piece of hot dog and stick the pill inside it, or coat the pill with peanutbutter and let him lick it. We had to think up clever ways to give our other dog, Shamrock pills because she would not take them. Each way worked until she discovered what we were up to. :s:

Nikki, that sounds like a great idea, to buy a house to flip over. It will certainly keep you busy, that's for sure. I got a good chuckle out of you grabbing a locust. :lol: We have these teenie-weenie frogs around here and one day one of the little :devil: was behind the door handle on the outside storm door. I had gone outside and grabbed the door handle to shut the door and my hand went right around the frog. :p After screaming, my next thought was wondering if I crushed it. Thankfully I didn't. Now I am very careful when I grab onto door handles. ;) I am really leery of pulling weeds around here because of red fire ants. DH dug out a bush and they swarmed all over him and he got bit in numerous places.

Barb, sorry you're not having such a good day. I know what you're going through, as I've been through this. It really must be hard on your mother losing her independence now that she can't drive. I remember how nervous my Dad was when he renewed his drivers license a few months before he passed away, being over 70 he had to take a driving test before they would renew his license. Hope tomorrow will be better for you.

Hi Kate :wave: Have you read any good books lately? I read two books, 4th of July by James Patterson and Eleven On Top by Janet Evanovich. I've started a spy thriller, but so far it's not doing much for me. Hopefully it will get better.

Enjoy the rest of the day.
Ali

aleka
08-03-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Anne, how awful about that plane crash. It was a miracle everyone survived. Was the crash anywhere near where you are and were any of the injured brought to your hospital?

Hope everybody is having a good day.
Ali

ANNE D
08-03-2005, 02:56 PM
Hi Everyone:
Ali: Pearson Airport is extremely close to where I live. You could actually walk there. The planes always look like they are going to land in our yard they're so low! The hospital I work in went into "code orange" which means
disaster. We are a designated trauma centre so if anything major happens
patients will be brought here. I was on route home when the crash occured.
It was in the middle of a thunder and lightening storm. Thank God it turned
out no one was hurt. Are those folks ever lucky. I bet they are shaken up
though.
Toby's vitamins are in a tube like toothpaste.
Poor Toby when I was doing the laundry this mornig he came up behind me
and I didn't see him. I accidently stepped on him. Poor little thing was crying
for a minute straight. My DH jumped out of bed to console him. I was in tears. He is walking ok, thank goodness. I am going to buy a bell for his
collar. He is only five pounds and I'm such a cow :moo:
Hi Nikki, How long does your DH get off for his vacation?
Hi Lucyee, I hope your DH is feeling better. My DH woke up with a fever
today. Something is sure going around.
Hi Kate, isn't it hot!!!
Barb I hope all is well with you today.
Anne.

Katey
08-03-2005, 03:24 PM
My internet service is still intermittent. I wrote a long post to all of you last night and lost it. Very maddening :(
Just wanted you to know that you're all in my thoughts. I hope to be back soon!

Take care,
Kate

nikkic
08-03-2005, 04:14 PM
HI everyone,

Anne, that had to be really scary. I'm glad everyone was ok.
I've stepped on the cats more times than I can say, they eventually learn to watch your feet, because they know people are clumsy creatures:lol: . A bell might help, but he will really be ok without one. They are pretty quick to learn how to avoid a painful situation. I know how you feel, I was in tears myself a few times when I've accidentally hurt the cats. Either DH or myself (or a visitor) ran over Tony the cats tail a few years ago. He never did fear cars and we thought we kept a good eye out for him. But apparently, someone ran over his tail. It was broken for a good 6 months and just dragged behind him, collecting leaves and cobwebs. I was going to have it amputated, as it was getting so disgusting. Then one day, he started to hold it up a little and now he can hold it all the way up, it just has a minor bend in it. Poor guy, he's sure used all of his 9 lives and then some.
Maybe you should talk to the vet about a different kind of vitamin. Possibly something like a powder that you can mix in with his food.
DH will be off till the 16th I think. He has to work one more night.

Kate, when you type out your post, before you send it, copy it and then if you lose it, you still have it to recopy. Glad your still with us:D

Ali, I would be really nervous about red ants too. I was pulling those weeds and also knocked out an old tree stump that was rotten. It was full of wood ants and boy, did that cause a major scattering of ants. Everybody was carrying eggs and going as fast as they could.:tantrum:

Lucyee, how's your DH doing? I hope your taking care of yourself too, getting enough rest and all. I know it's hard, but you sure don't need to come down with that too. Hope things have improved. Sending best wishes your way:goodvibes :genie:

Barb, hope your doing ok too. Think about you alot and I know your going through a really rough time. Will continue to keep you and your family and mom in my prayers.

Got to run, DD is on her way over. Take care everyone, Nikki

aleka
08-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Good morning :coffee:

Anne, you must've been really scared when that accident happened. All those people are so fortunate that they survived. It must be noisy living so close to the airport. I had a friend growing up, who had relatives that lived in a flight path for Logan Airport in Boston. We used to visit them and the noise was awful. Another thing you have to be careful with Toby is that you don't trip over him and fall. There are times when I'm distracted, like when I'm cooking, and don't know that Lacee, who weights 15 lbs., is under my feet. There are many times I could've easily tripped over her, but DH was there and told me what I was about to do. I've stepped on Lacee a number of times, then picked her up and cuddled her.

Nikki, poor Tony, I'm glad that his tail got better. Many..many years ago, DH & I were out splitting wood for our wood stove and the same thing happened when we split into one log. :p We have this red ant powder that Dh puts on the ant hills when we find them. When we first moved here, as a housewarming gift the previous owners made up a kit of things we knew nothing about, and the powder was in the kit. He said that his dogs would not go near the stuff, so it was safe. Well, not so for Lacee, she goes right to it. :rolleyes: So, we have to keep her out of wherever DH spreads it.

Kate, glad to hear from you. Sorry that your internet still isn't working right. Hope you get it fixed soon. We miss you.

Barb, hope things are looking up a bit for you. I am still thinking about you and your family and you're all in my prayers. I'm sending some good :goodvibes your way.

Lucy, how are things going with you? You must be getting excited now that your trip is drawing near. You must have a lot to do before you leave. I know it takes me about a week to get the house ready, clothes washed and packed before we go anywhere. Is your DH going with you, or will this be girl time?

Have a wonderful day.
Ali

ANNE D
08-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Everyone:
Ali, funny you should mention the noise. When we first lived in that house
all we could hear was the highway and the planes. Do you know now
we don't notice it anymore. I think you "tune it out"over time.
I was happy when I got home last night. Toby was running about like
nothing had happend :) You are right though. We also could take a terrible
fall over Toby. I told my DH while cooking is going on we should put Toby
safely behind the little pressure gate we use to use when our kids were tiny.
That way Toby is protected and we don't have an accident.

Nikki, I bet your DH is happy today!! Off unitl the 16th, I bet he'll be happy.
I hope you both enjoy the time off together and get lots done :)

Hi Kate, I can reallyl understand those internet problems. My computer has
been on the blink a few times and it drives me nuts :dizzy:

Hi Lucyee, hope your DH is feeling better. Bet you're looking forward to that
trip. :D

Hi Barb, Hope all is going ok for you.

Talk to you all later.
Anne.

ageoldie
08-04-2005, 10:58 PM
My sister and I took my Mom to her Internist today (who is also our internists too) and she had a long talk with all of us and told us that it was not curable and basically that chemo wasn't much of a choice either. It was rough to hear, but Mom has been dirving us crazy wanting to drive and we knew we wouldn't be able to keep her from it much long because she had decided that nothing was wrong with her!!! It's going to be a long few months!!!

Thanks for your concern.

Barb

Katey
08-05-2005, 02:56 PM
Another post bit the dust last night :( DS is supposed to be over this weekend to put a ground on something. He works for the local phone company who I get the service from. He's SURE that will take care of it!

Anyway, we're on our way to PA this weekend for Abby's field trials. At least it's cooling down a bit. I'll be outside for 2 days.

Barb: The doctor's visit must have been very difficult. All of you are in my prayers. Take care.

Talk to all of you next week :crossed:

Kate

nikkic
08-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Hi everyone,

DH and I have been working on the house the past 2 days. We put on the underlayment insulation (it's like a very thin piece of styrofoam and we put up 1/2 the siding today. I'm so beat, I feel like I'm vibrating:hyper: DH took his truck out to get the ac fixed. On the way home, I was driving the car, as I'd taken him out there. Anne, we live on a highway too, probably not as busy as yours, but there is always someone passing by. A truck came up behind me as I was trying to pull into the driveway. I had my signal on and there were 2 cars coming down the hill, so I couldn't turn. That truck almost plowed into my rear end. He kept honking and waving his arms, like I was not suppose to be there or should move. That sure happens alot, people just don't want to let a person get into their own place around here. I am still ticked off about it.
Speaking of getting use to the noise, when we first moved here, I was thinking, how can we ever live in this place, you can't even have a conversation in the yard, now we don't even notice it either.

Ali, I saw on the weather map it is suppose to be hot and humid down there today. We got really lucky and it's only in the upper 70's and the humidity is 37%. Perfect for being outside in. It sure helps us get things done.

Barb, that had to be a hard meeting for everyone. Hugs to you and your mom and family.

Kate, good luck with the computer. I guess we all have problems with them on occasion. I find it very frustrating to spend so much money on something and then it doesn't act right. Good luck to you and Abby.

Lucyee, hope things are going ok with you and your DH is feeling better.

I am going to take a long shower and relax the rest of the night. Take care everyone, Nikki

aleka
08-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Saturday!!

DH got the ok for his 2 week vacation in Sept. So, we're heading home for a couple of weeks. :cb: :cheer: Home to me is New England. We'll be staying with my ILs for a few days. DH wants to go to a truck race in Loudon, NH while we're there and I've got to make plans with my girlfriend to do something while he's gone. I don't want to sit around my ILs house while he's gone. :p .

Nikki, you are coming along great on your house. Once it is finished, you'll have a lot of satisfaction knowing that you did it yourselves. There are a lot of crazy drivers out there, especially the one's with road rage. I hate driving down here and go out as little as possible. The favorite thing down here is running red lights. One afternoon when my girlfriend was here we were driving down the highway when some idiot in a truck practically drove us off the road. He was in the middle lane, I was passing on the right and he started to pull over. :fr: I drove into the breakdown lane, and thankfully he finally saw me, then pulled back into his lane.

Anne, that's a great idea putting Toby behind a gate. How big will Toby get? Lacee was tiny when she was a puppy and grew to be about 15-17 lbs.

Kate, sorry you're still having problems with your internet service. Hopefully your DS can get things straightened out. Good luck to Abby in her field tries. Let us know how she did.

Barb, your mother's Dr. appt. must have been very difficult for all of you. :grouphug: I'm still thinking of you.

Lucyee, hope your DH is feeling better. Have a safe trip and a wonderful visit with your sister.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
Ali

Lucyee
08-06-2005, 04:31 PM
HI Everyone, Just wanted to come by and say hello to everyone, before I leave to go Upstate NY, to my Sister's. I haven been so busy all week, getting ready, that I haven't been able to post much.
I will be gone about three weeks. Hope everything goes well for all of you.
Barb, You and your Mom and family are in my prayers.
ALi, Katey, Nikki and Anne have a wonderful rest of the Summer. It will be the end of August, by the time I get back, so there goes Summer. Dh is better and has been able to sleep, at night. The meds finally kicked in and his coughing has let up. I will be heading up alone, as he just wants to take care of himself and get better.
Well, be good and I'll be back to share, soon. Lucyee

ageoldie
08-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Today was going to be a really good day. The two item I had up on ebay sold for more than double what I thoght they might sell for. One sold for $133.00 and the other for 206.00. I was going to the business to package them for shipping and then run a few errands and then take my mom to look for a wig. Great plans. I got to the business and got the boxes packed, watered my plants, then went to the computer to make some lables Dh needed. When I did, I completely lost it and couldn't quit crying. I guess all the weeks of stress finally caught up with me. Finally I pulled myself together and finished my errand and went to my moms, and she had company and didn't want to go. So I went home, decided to put some highlights in my hair and they turned out orange, so then I thought maybe if I "trimmed" it a bit it would blend in, but I goofed and cut one spot of it too short, so I ended up having to go get it all cut. It is so short!!! with orange streaks in it!!! and the pictures I took to put more stuff on ebay are still in the camera and I can't figure out how to load them into the computer even though I've done it many times...

So I decided to scratch this day from my memory...

Hope all of you had a good one!!!

http://host.picturewizard.com/2004-11/200396/febsnags/6TotallyStressed.gif Barbg

nikkic
08-08-2005, 06:07 PM
HI Everyone:wave:
Barb, wow, you had a really crappy day. I hope yesterday and today was a bit better. I've had that problem with orange hair too, but for me, it was my entire head. Maybe your hair colorist can put some ash on it and get it toned down some. It is really hard to deal with so many things all at once, wish there was something I could do for you.:grouphug:

Lucyee, bet your on your way now, but have a good trip and safe return:D

Ali, while your DH is at the races, is it the same girlfriend that came to visit you that you will be making plans with? It will be nice to just have some girlfriend time I bet.

Hi Anne and Kate. Is it hot where you are? We had some nice weather for a few days and today, it's a really hot and humid one.

DH and I have gotten most of the house sided on the side we were working on. We will finish it tomorrow morning. Then there will be caulking, painting, staining and varnishing, but those are not as pressing as getting the siding on. DH says he will help me with the painting, but I'd rather do it myself, he's not a very good painter.

I need to run to Walmart and do a bit of shopping. The sprint car fans are in town for the next week and have been here for a good week now. I can't wait till the Nationals are over and they all go home.

Talk to you later, Nikki

aleka
08-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Good morning everyone, :coffee:

We had some awful thunder storms come through yesterday afternoon. The first one came around 3:00 pm and the lightning was a little too close for comfort. :eek: That storm made me a little nervous, and it lasted at least 45 min. or longer. Then the next one arrived around supper time. The lightning was still close, but not like the first storm. In both storms, the heavens opened up. DH was at work and he didn't get anything where he was.

Barb, sorry you had such a stressful day the other day. Have you gone to a hair stylist to have it fixed? I have a friend who has red hair, mostly gray now. One time my friend asked her daughter to dye hair red, to cover the gray. Well, my friend's hair turned this eggplant color. She did go to a stylist the next day and had it fixed. Hope things are looking up for you. :goodvibes

Nikki, was Walmart crowded with all the race fans in town? In the winter Walmart is so crowded, we have to go early in the morning, around 6:30 am or 7:00 am so we don't have to deal with the crowds. This time of year isn't too bad. A Super Walmart is being built in our city, not very far from my house, this summer. It should help with the other crowded Walmart stores. You should do some serious celebrating when you finish siding today. :hat: :cheers: Yes, that is the very same girlfriend that visits me a lot.

Anne, how are things going with you? I'm sure you're having such a wonderful time with Toby. Has it started to cool down for you? Fall is just around the corner. My favorite season.

Kate, how are things going with your internet problem? Hope Abby did well in the field trials.

Lucy, hope you're having a good time visiting your sister.

Have a great day everyone.
Ali

nikkic
08-11-2005, 11:46 AM
HI Everyone,

Well, we finished the siding and none too soon. We got a huge amount of rain last night. Ali, I thought about you when the lightening and thunder was getting pretty intense. Our lights went off for a brief time and that always scares me, because I'm afraid they will stay off for days and we will be without any fans or ac. But, they came right back on this time.

Ali, you can't even get into a grocery store in town now. If you wait until the races start, at 7pm, you can ususally get in then, but by that time, they are out of a lot of things. I try to get most of my groceries before the racefans get into town. I've even driven to the next town to shop rather than try to shop here, even though it's 30 minutes away, it's faster than going here. But if I just need milk or bread, we just go to the gas station up the road, which is always packed too, but it's easier than trying to drive in town. We have a smaller super Walmart in our town. When it first opened, I didn't know if I would ever be able to walk all the way around the store. Now, I know where everything is and it doesn't seem so big anymore.

Anne, how's Toby doing? My youngest DD just adopted a cat from the local vet. They have a no kill shelter there. The cat had been there since March. He seems like such a nice boy, but he's a little weird, from being in a small cage for months. I have thought about getting one too from there, but DH is really against it. He thinks we have enough. Here's a picture of the boy I want
http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=2&pet=4150616&adTarget=&SessionID=42fb64307cc9b5db-app5&display=&preview=1&row=0&tmpl=&stat=
Barb, hope things are going better for you. How's your hair looking? Everyday, mine is starting to look just a bit better, since I had it cut a month ago, I've still not gotten use to seeing it like this.

Hi Kate, hope your computer gets fixed soon.

Lucyee, enjoy your trip:D

Talk to you all later, Nikki

Katey
08-11-2005, 12:01 PM
Hi all,
DS fixed my internet problem at home, but I've been too tired to even get on in the evening what with all the watering that needs to be done plus I haven't felt well. Had another bladder infection last week. They tell me it's cleared up, but I still don't feel TERRIFIC.....maybe that's too much to ask for at my age :D

Barb: Wow, you did have a stressful day! How is your hair? I've colored mine for years. I was due to do it a few weeks back, but haven't felt like it. I see now that it's VERY gray. At first it looked highlighted which wasn't bad. I'm not sure that I'm ready for all gray yet which is what it's looking like it will be. I have a wedding to go to in Sept. so I may break down and do it before that. How are your ebay items going? I wish I knew how to do that. Hope you're feeling more in control. You, your mother, and family are in my prayers. Take care.

Ali: How nice that you'll be able to come north to spend some time! You must be looking forward to that. You've had so many storms down there and we're in need of rain so badly. Maybe you could arrange to bring some with you when you come up:lol: Abby didn't get a ribbon this time in the field trials, but we still love her! It was a tough test and the judges were hard. More than half the class didn't make it to the 2nd day. DH was disappointed because that hasn't happened to him before. We're going to try again at the end of Sept. Are you using the hot tub a lot?

Nikki: Are you finished with the siding? Hope that you've had good weather to do it. It's been so hot here again. I hate to say it, but I'm ready for fall. Are you getting any veggies from your garden? I'm going to the farmers market on Saturday to pick up veggies and fruit. The peaches have been so good. Yum!

Lucyee: Hope that you're enjoying the visit with your sister. You're going to be gone quite a while.

Hi Anne:wave: Hope that things are going well for you. You must be too busy with Toby to post! Either that or :devil: and work have been keeping you busy. Are you ready for some cool weather????

Take care,
Kate

aleka
08-12-2005, 08:44 AM
TGIF!!

We haven't had rain for 2 days now. Last night we had some vivid lightning and quite a few rumbles of thunder, but no rain.

Nikki, congratulations on finishing the siding. :bravo: :cp: You must be so happy it's done. Do you have a generator for backup in case your electricity is off for any length of time? We went out and bought one a few months back so we'd have it in case we get any hurricanes this summer. Those intense thunder storms can really make you a little nervous. We had a power spike during that intense storm we had the other day. Glad your power stayed on. I hate it when stores are crowded like that. Hopefully with the new Super Walmart they're putting in our city will help with the crowds at the other 2 Walmarts near us.

Kate, it's great hearing from you again. Glad that your internet is up and running again. Sorry about your bladder infection. Those aren't any fun. I hope you're feeling more yourself soon. I am excited about heading north next month. How about I bring the rain with me, but let it loose on my way home? :lol: That's too bad about Abby's field trials. But, she's #1 with you and that's all that counts. ;) We haven't been using the hot tub all that much. Some nights we're just too tired, and some nights there is either thunder & lightning or just lightning and we don't want to use it. I think we'll probably get more use out of it in the fall & winter months.

Barb, how are things going with you? Did you get your hair fixed? Like Kate, I need to have some coloring done. It is more expensive down here to have it done than what I paid up north. So, I am tempted to call the girl who used to do my hair up there and make an appt. to have it done. Hope things are going well with your mother.

Anne, haven't heard from you in a while. Hope everything is ok and that you're just busy with Toby and/or work.

Lucyee, hope you're having a good time with your sister and that it's cooler there for you.

Have a great day!
Ali

ANNE D
08-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi Guys:
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. This place is a zoo. Some weeks it enough
to drive you to drink!!!

My 37 year old sister has just found out she needs to have an ovary removed.
She has a large cyst, endometriosis and fibroids. The fibroids are fine at the
moment, it is the cyst they want to remove.
She is so nervous. She is getting blood work done today and has an appt.
this afternoon with the surgeon. She will be having her surgery done at the
hospital I work at which is good for both her and my mom.

Toby is doing well. He is having a little bit of a problem with constipation
though. I was reading on line that canned pumpkin helps the problem so
we are giving that a shot. Poor little guy he is so furry that sometimes we
need to bathe him in order to keep him clean and he just crys and crys. It
bothers me so much to see him like that. He really sounds upset in the water.
I am going to take him for a haircut next Saturday. I hope it will help the poor
little guy.

Kate, am I ready for cool weather? :dance: :dance: :cheer: You bet!!!
I have had enough of this stuff. The term "wind chill" is begining to sound
good to me at this point.

Nikki, I took a look at Java. So adorable!!! I just love animals :cloud9: Bet
you are happy you got the siding done!

Lucyee, I hope you have a great visit with your sister. Have a wonderful
holiday!!Aleka, we are going to have a rainy weekend. I'm not going to complain though, boy do we need it. This has been the hottest summer, and the closest thing to a draught I have ever experienced. I know what you mean about thunder storms :fr: they make me very nervous.

Barb, when I was a young lady I once coloured my hair and it turned out
with blood red streaks. Boy was my dad angry :lol: You could really notice
it when I was standing in the sun light.

Talk to you all later.
Anne.

Katey
08-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi guys!
I picked up the most scrumptious looking fruits and vegetables today at the farmers market. I've been thinking about all the healthy things we'll be eating this week:D I want to do stuffed green peppers...not my DH's favorite thing, but he'll eat it about once a year! I love them cuz they're so easy to do in the crockpot. Then when I walk in the house from work there's no fuss! I got cantalope, blueberries, eggplant, corn, green beans, lettuce too.

Anne: We finally got some rain yesterday and last night although it hasn't cooled it down any. I'm sorry to hear that your sister has to have surgery. When will it be done? It's good that it's where you work so you'll be close by. How is Toby doing? Is the pumpkin working? Poor little thing. Sounds like work has been tough...hang in there.

Ali: I'm reading Mary Higgins Clark's No Place Like Home. So far I don't think it's as good as her other books, but I might change my mind as I get into it. I also found the Walking Away the Pounds book by Leslie Sansone. It has a tape with it which I should try. Exercising has been difficult for me to get back into since vacation. Must have expended my energy with all the swimming, kayaking, biking:lol: Have you been exercising?

Nikki: You and I must have been posting at the same time. Java is a beautiful cat!! I wouldn't be able to resist him. My DH is not fond of cats so after the 2 we had passed away I haven't been able to talk him into another one. Glad your siding project is finished. That's a big job.

Barb: Thinking of you and sending good wishes your way.

Lucyee: Hope you're having a great time!

Got to get busy with a huge pile of wash that threatens to take over the basement. Talk to you soon.

Take care,
Kate

aleka
08-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Good evening,

Yesterday afternoon I called the girl who used to do my hair in NH for an appt. to get it highlighted while we're there. It is just too darn expensive down here to have it done. Anyway, it will be great seeing her again.

Last night we had thunder and lightning to the south of us. The lightning was unbelieveable. DH & I were outside watching it streaking across the sky and hearing the sizzle. Luckily we didn't get any of it. I was wishing I had a camera to take a picture. I have never seen anything like it before.

Nikki, I completely forgot to mention Java in my last post :o . Senior moment I guess. He is a beautiful cat. Hope you can talk your DH into getting him.

Anne, I am so sorry that your sister has to have surgery. Glad that her endometriosis and fibroids aren't bad. That's good news she'll be in your hospital so you can visit her more often. Poor Toby. Hope the pumpkin works for him.

Kate, you veggies and fruit sound delicious. All summer long the grocery store has had blueberries quite reasonable. Went shopping the other day and they only had a few pints left and jacked the price up. :cry: Hopefully they'll get some more in. How do you make stuffed peppers? DH loves them. I usually put hamburgh, brown rice, pasta sauce, and I chop up the tops of the peppers and put them in too. My MIL puts whole cloves in her's. I've also made it with kidney beans instead of the hamburgh. Speaking of recipes, I've been meaning to tell you that I have made your pineapple chili more times than you can imagine. DH & I absolutely love it. I have read There's No Place Like Home, and I thought the same thing, that it wasn't as good as her other books. I am reading a historical fiction book, A Crowning Mercy by Bernard Cornwell. It takes place in England in the 1620's with the Puritans. It's really good.

Barb, how are things going with you? I'm still thinking of you and your family. Sending :goodvibes your way.

Hi Lucyee :wave:

Enjoy your evening, ladies
Ali

ageoldie
08-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Katey, you and Ali probally remember all the stress I had a work, before I quit, so you are probally wondering how I could get back into the same ole $#!$! Well so am I. I really thought it would be better, and it is in the fact that I keep myself out of all the bickering, but boy does it get on my nerves!!! But on the upside I did get a paycheck this week!!!

My hair, I went to the hair cutter and got it cut so that it look decent, but awfully short. And I put a colored mouse on the orange streaks and that toned them down. In a couple of weeks, it will probally be decent again.

My stuff on ebay sold really well. I put 5 more items up today.

I did take my mom to get her wig today. She woke up yesterday with her hair comming out in streams. We got a really pretty one, and it wasn't too expensive either. She is still feeling good (so she says) but I think it's finally sinking in that this is serious. She told me today that she hopes she makes it until October because she has a CD that comes due and that will pay her burial expenses so we don't have to.

Somehow my intention to post everyday flew out the window, but I'll try to do better.

Hope everyone has a great week.

http://host.picturewizard.com/2004-11/200396/siggys/barbgsmilie.gif

nikkic
08-15-2005, 05:42 PM
HI Everyone,

I haven't gotten an email since I last posted, so thought no one was posting. I had to come to the website and look up the thread, and then found out you guys have been posting all along:o :D

Barb, glad to hear your hair is getting to a managable state. Hopefully, your mom really is feeling good.

Kate, my garden has not been the best this year. Other people seem to be having bumper crops, mine looks horrible. I think with the siding, I haven't been paying attention to it like I should, or fertilizing it. Next year, I am just going to till it under, and spend time building up the soil. I do have a lot of green peppers and have thought about making stuffed peppers too. My DH doesn't care for them much either. He doesn't like rice, which really limits my cooking. I love Chinese food and would make stir fry everyday, but I like it with rice, not noodles.

Anne, good luck to your sister. When is her surgery scheduled? Saying a prayer for her and you as well.
Poor Toby. I have gotten some stuff at the vet for cats before that is kind of a laxative in a tube that looks like toothpaste. They love the stuff. I'm sure you could get something from the vet for him, if he continues to be constipated. Isn't having a puppy almost as much worry as having a real baby sometimes?
DH is completely against getting another cat. I'm still trying to change his mind. He just doesn't like animals as much as I do.

Ali, I would love to get a generator. We've had our electric out for days on end at times. Most people around here never bother to get one though.

DH goes back to work tonight. I'm going to have to finish caulking the siding and then paint it. He still needs to put the finishing nails on the inside of the windows. Until he does that, we can't remove the factory seal and open them and I can't stain and varnish them. He seems to be great about doing some things, but comes to a complete stop about other things. I have never been able to figure men out.

Take care, Nikki

aleka
08-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Good morning, :coffee:

DH & I are off to Tampa later this morning to pick up my GF who is flying in early this afternoon. Can't wait to see her!! I see some shopping in our future. :lol:

Barb, sorry that your job is so stressful. But, you are right about the paycheck every week. How is the job situation where you are? Can you start looking for something else? Glad that your hair has been fixed. That must make you feel somewhat better. That's good news about your stuff selling on E bay.

Anne, how is your sister doing? When will she be scheduled for surgery? Hope everything is going well for you.

Kate, do you like There's No Place Like Home any better?

Nikki, sometimes I don't get e mails when someone posts either and I'm quite surprised when I come in from the website to see that there are quite a few posts. :eek:
Sorry that your DH doesn't want anymore cats. DH doesn't like animals the way I do. He keeps saying I spoil Lacee, and I keep saying he's just jealous because I don't spoil him the way I spoil her. ;)

Hi Lucyee :wave: hope you're having a wonderful time!

Have a good day!

Ali

Katey
08-17-2005, 09:51 PM
Hi all,
We've had a great week....the weather has been cooler, but sunny. Cools right down at night so it's been good sleeping.

Ali: So we probably won't hear from you for days since you'll be on a shopping spree with your GF:lol: How nice that she's visiting again....it's the same one who was down before, right? When are you leaving on your trip? I guess I'm liking No Place Like Home better now that I'm into it. Although I still don't think that it's one of her better books. I'll probably finish it tonight. I make stuffed peppers the way that you do. I've never heard of doing them with beans. I think I'd like that. What do you mix them with? Enjoy your GF time!

Barb: I guess life is trade-offs sometimes...great to get a paycheck, not always fun to put up with the office pettiness that can go on. I'm sure that Anne can relate to this too. Are you in an enclosed office where you can shut the door and isolate yourself or do you have cubicles? There are 3 of us where I work, all with our own workstations, but we're a quiet bunch for the most part. Guess I'm lucky. How is your mother doing? It's hard having to discuss the issues that you have to when someone is sick. Thinking of all of you.

Nikki: Did you DH get the windows done so that you can work on them? I'm sometimes at a loss as to why men do (or don't do) things too! DH decided a couple days ago that he HAD to get the mulch put down in the new garden area. I haven't even started to plant things there yet, but he went and bought it. Now I have to dig through that to plant:dizzy: Made no sense to me! Hope that your weather has been cooperating so that you could finish the siding.

Anne: Thinking about you and wondering how your sister made out. Has she had the surgery yet? The waiting is so nervewracking. Hopefully she'll be able to get it taken care of quickly. Hope that Toby is doing better.

Lucyee: Missing your posts, but hope that you're having fun!

I'm really getting disgusted with myself. I wanted to be able to get back to healthy eating after vacation and just can't seem to do it. I've already gained back some of the weight that I lost. I get so tired of losing the same #s over and over again:( I have a bridal shower to go to this weekend and then we've got my BIL and family coming Sunday for dinner. I wish this was easy.....

Take care,
Kate

Katey
08-20-2005, 10:54 AM
We're a quiet bunch! Hope everyone is doing okay. Lots to do today, but I wanted to wish everyone a good weekend.

Take care,
Kate

nikkic
08-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone,

I feel like I'm running around in circles, but I am getting a lot done.
Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, it's hard to make time for the computer. I'm trying really hard to get back on track with my eating and exercise. I'm loosely follow The Abs Diet plan. I am following his diet suggestions, eating the food that is on plan, just not following the meal plan in the book, but it's only a suggestion anyway. I started to walk with Leslie again and I can't believe how out of shape I am now. I use to do 2 miles standing on my head, now I'm out of breathe, sweaty and worn out. Kate, I have lost and gained the same darned 30 lbs now for 5 years, it's so aggrevating. I need to lose a good 85 lbs altogether, but whenever I hit 209, for some reason, it's like that is where I start to totally lose it. People make all kinds of comments about how good I'm looking, I feel smaller and I just let myself indulge too much, then before I know it, I'm back to where I was. I want to kick myself.:tantrum: :rollpin:
I have 6 days to paint the side of the house that we just finished. I haven't told you all this before, but DD #1 has bought a house. I just can't believe it, it's more than I ever thought would happen for her. It needs a little bit of fixing up before she can move in, DH and I will spend most of Sept doing that. She will help as much as she can, but she has never lifted a paint brush in her life, so this will be a new adventure for her:lol: The closing date is next Thursday, so I want to finish my house by that time. Needless to say, I'm really excited about getting started on her house:D
Kate, DH has still not finished nailing the windows in, but he says he will on his next days off. I will have to try to finish them, inbetween working on DD's house now.
I bought the best purple plums at the store. They are the really dark, purple ones and are so sweet, they are like candy.

Ali, have you done a lot of shopping? I will be shopping a lot with DD for paint, wallpaper, appliances and fixtures. I doubt it will be as much fun though:headache: :faint: Hope you and your girlfriend have had a great time. How has the weather been? We have had some hot and humid days, but it's been pretty nice here. I can't complain.

Hope everyone else is doing ok. Have a good weekend, Nikki

aleka
08-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Hello everyone...

I dropped my GF off at her son's house a little while ago. We had a wonderful 4 days together. We did shop and one afternoon we went to the movies. We saw Must Love Dogs. It was so good. The best part was, we were the youngest people in the movie theater. :bb: :lol: We also did a lot of eating. :ink:

Nikki, you'll have fun shopping for wallpaper and appliances for your DD's house. Although, if I look at too many wallpaper samples everything starts looking the same to me. :dz: How is the painting coming along on your house? It's been awfully hot here. A couple of times I've seen 100- 101 on my car thermometer. But I think that was only because it had been sitting in the sun, as it dropped down to 96 - 97 within minutes. BRRRRR!!!:D It won't take you very long to get back to walking 2 miles on your head. ;)

Kate, yes, this is the same GF who has visited me before. We'll be leaving Sept. 10th, which isn't very far away. I can't wait. Did you finish There's No Place Like Home? When I do make stuffed peppers with the beans, I make it the same as I normally do, except that I omit the hamburgh. I just replace the hamburgh with beans. I sometimes like to experiment with recipes I make a lot. I'm in the same boat diet-wise too. I was going great guns counting points for a while, but then I got tired of doing it. Sometimes I get so disgusted with myself.

Barb, how are things going with you? I hope things at work have gotten a little less stressful for you.

Anne, how is your sister doing? Has she gotten her surgery date yet? How is that little sweet heart of your's?

Lucyee, hope your vacation is going well. Miss hearing from you.

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend.
Ali

ANNE D
08-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Hi Guys:
Sorry I haven't posted for so long. Work is nuts.....My hair is standing on
end, they just keep piling it on. I have really missed you all.

Lynda(my sister) is having her surgery on September 8. This is good because
I will be on vacation that week and able to take my mother down to the hospital.

Can you believe the day before her surgery is the day we have tickets to see
Elton John. Problem is this. Lynda's doctor has given her a laxitive pill to take
the day before her operation. She is scared she will hav problems sitting through the performance. I don't know what the heck to say to her.

Toby is doing wonderful. I just love this little guy to bits. The pumpkin worked for him thank goodness. We have our appt. at the vet next Saturday.
He will be getting his rabies shot and a few boosters for kennel cough and
hepititis.

Aleka, so glad to hear you had a wonderful time with your G.F.

Kate: It rained like heck here yesterday. Thunder and lightening all day (no
kiddin) A few roads were washed right out. I am sorry that happened but
so greatful for the rain. I bet you are looking forward to Autumn just like me.

Hi Nikki, Guess what, Greer was on Shopping Channel here. Can you believe
we are all started on body flex again. You will never believe it but I am starting to feel a whole lot better. I still hate that pretzel :lol:

Lucyee, I hope you are having a great time!!!

Barb, I hope things are going ok for you.

Talk to you all soon. I hope I will post more often this week!!!!

Anne.

Katey
08-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Hi everybody,
I'm at work, but just had to take a break from doing registrations. I hope everyone is doing okay. Ali, I'm worried about you with that hurricane in Florida. I hope you're safe.
I'll check in again this weekend.

Take care,
Kate

nikkic
08-26-2005, 04:48 PM
HI Everyone,

Hope your all doing ok, we have been so busy lately, just haven't had time to catch up.
My oldest DD signed the papers on her house today, so she is now a home owner:D . We will start working on it tomorrow (that we being mostly me:lol: ). I will be pretty busy. There is painting, wallpapering and we will be taking out all the sinks and replacing them as well as the toilets. One bathroom will require new walls and a new floor. Two bedrooms will need new carpet. I"m doing most of that and DH will help on his days off as will DD. She will stay in her apartment until the last week of Sept and then hopefully, the remodeling will be finished. Throughout the month, she will be packing up and moving non essentials, so that will help a lot when the final moving day comes.
Anne, that is going to be difficult for Linda, taking a laxative and sitting through the concert. Maybe she could just eat light for a few days before?
How's the BF going? I have been thinking about starting myself. I wonder if the new video she has out is like the original or has she finally updated it? If so, it might be worth getting.
Ali, hope your ok. It is really humid here today, started at 100% and it's still up there. Thank God for air conditioning.
Katey, bet your super busy at work, hope you get time to get on the computer this weekend.
Barb, I'm hoping things are ok with you and your family.
Hi Lucee:)
Well, I have got to get DH moving in the right direction. I need him to haul a ladder and some other things over to DD's new house to I can get busy. Talk to you all later, Nikki

aleka
08-26-2005, 07:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

So far so good with Katrina. When she came across FL she went farther south than they had thought and she's heading more into the Gulf. Earlier this afternoon I heard that we still may get some rain out of this, but it's not supposed to hit until later tonight and into tomorrow. But, we're not supposed to get as much rain. We've had gusty winds all day and a few peeks of the sun. I feel so sorry for the people in the area where she'll hit land. They expect it to be a catagory 3 hurricane by then.

Anne, that's good you'll be on vacation when Lynda has her surgery. Gee, I don't know what to suggest about your sister and the Elton John concert. Sorry things are so nuts for you at work. You really must be looking forward to your vacation.

Kate, it sounds like you're busy at work. School should be starting up there pretty soon. Do you like to read non-fiction history books? My GF gave me this book to read, German Boy, by Wolfgang W. E. Samuel. It's his story when he was 10 yrs. old, how he, his mother, grandmother, & sister fled the east part of Germany to the west part of Germany during the last days of WW II to stay ahead of the Russians. It is really very good.

Nikki, congratulations to DD #1 on being a home owner!:cp: :bravo: :hat: :high: :cheer: It sounds like you've got a lot of work ahead of you. She'll be so happy when it's all finished. I can't imagine what it must feel like with 100% humidity. I saw this morning that we were at 82%. Come to FL to cool off! :s:

Barb, hope things are going well with you and your family.

Lucyee, hope you're still enjoying your vacation.

Take care,
Ali

ageoldie
08-27-2005, 09:01 PM
I just have a few minutes to check in. I don't reember how much I've told you, but my mother is dying. We spent all weekend last weekend in the ER (All day Saturday night, home for a terrible night, back to the ER all day Sunday) They admitted her Sunday night. Just before they admitted her they gave her a very mild sedative and she went to sleep. She has not waken up. She has opened her eyes a few times, but she can not focus, we know she does not see or know us,. but we are keeping a vigil at her bedside. The MRI showed that her brain is completely infected with the cancer and it has even infiltrated the lining of the brain, and she has tumor under the skin on her scalp. We turned her over to hospce on Tuesday, and yesterday we went to the funeral home and made arrangements. Now we are just waiting.

She has had a very full life and even after the dx of Cancer she did not let that slow her down. The day before we had to take her to the hospital (Friday) she spent the day with her friends from church playing domonio's.

All of that said, we still don't want to let go of her, but at this point in time it is out of our hands. Keep us in your thoughts and your prayers.

nikkic
08-28-2005, 04:07 AM
Barb,

Prayers for comfort and peace are being said for your mother, you and your family.
I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers, take care. Nikki:grouphug:

aleka
08-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Barb, I am so sorry about the news of your Mother. My thoughts and prayers are still with you and your family. Take care. :grouphug:

Ali

Katey
08-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Barb,
I know what a difficult time this is for all of you. I'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Kate

aleka
08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Hi everybody,

Kate, I saw on the weather this morning that rain from Katrina will be heading your way. I'll be thinking about you. Stay safe.

Anne, do you still do BF? How often do you do it and how many times a day do you do it? I ordered Greer's new video w/the exercise bar from HSN, which should be arriving sometime early next week. I do have an older tape of her's, but there are no exercises that include the exercise bar.

Barb, I'm still praying for you and your family.

Nikki, SS was on HSN Sun. & Mon. She didn't get any of my money this trip, I didn't even watch her. I'm so proud of myself! :encore: :lol:

Hi Lucyee, :wave: hope you're doing ok.

Take care,
Ali

Katey
08-30-2005, 08:26 PM
Hi everybody,
Happy news.....my DS and his girlfriend just got engaged:D We're so excited. They'll be married in Colorado, but haven't set a date yet. I think they're planning for sometime in 2006. So now I have a really good reason to put my all into losing some #s. I know they say you're not supposed to lose just for an event, but I've been looking for something to get me going again. Hopefully this will be incentive to get me on the right track.

Ali: They're predicting lots of rain for us, but I don't think the winds will be bad. Probably some areas will get flooding. I was just watching the news and can't believe what it must be like down there. I feel so sorry for those people. I'm glad that you were safe.

Barb: Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Nikki: Your DD must be so excited about her house. It's so nice that you can do all that for her. It can get very costly if you have to hire someone to do it. I love seeing the progress as a project goes along. Keep us posted!

Anne: We saw Elton John in a concert in Rochester a few years ago. He puts on a fantastic show! I hope your sister is able to enjoy it. We need the rain that's coming badly, but not so much at once. Things are never perfect I guess.

Lucyee: I think you've been gone almost 3 weeks so maybe you'll be home soon. It will be nice to hear from you again.

Take care,
Kate

ageoldie
08-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Today we had to move my mom to a dedicated HOSPICE home. It's a cross between a hospital and a nursing home. It is for temporary care. They are saying the end is very near, two days at the most.

Moving her was the hardest thing I have ever done. I went all to pieces at the thought. The hospital she was in was about 5 miles from my house and right across the street from my office. I could run in and check on her before work, during lunch, after work, or any other time I felt like I need to see her. Now this place is about a 45 minute drive. I'm staying tonight, even though I didn't prepare for it. I have no close to sleep in, or to change into tomorrow, but at least I'll be near.

Barb

aleka
09-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Good morning everyone,

Barb, it's too bad your mother was moved so far away from you, but right now this is probably the best place for her. I will continue to keep you and your family in my thoughts. :grouphug:

Kate, congratulations are in order for your DS. :cheers: That is fantastic news. Yes, they do say you shouldn't lose weight just for a special event, but there is nothing else like it to give you more incentive to lose weight. ;) I heard some nasty weather hit in upstate NY. Hope it didn't get to where you live.

Hi Anne, Nikki, Lucyee :wave: Hope you all are doing well.

At the moment our plans are still on for heading north next week. But, if the price of gas skyrockets, we'll be staying put. When DH went to work yesterday morning, gas at the station he drives by was $2.65 a gal.. When he came home it had jumped to $2.95 a gal.

Take care and have a good day!
Ali

Lucyee
09-01-2005, 04:53 PM
HI Everyone, Just stopping by to say hello! I just returned home, this week, from my Sister's in upstate NY. Needless, to say, the diet has been non existant. I am returning to help out, next week. Leaving Sept 9th. I won't be back again, until the end of Sept., but then, I had better get my own life on track. Hopefully, by then, with all the help we are getting for my Sister, she will be feeling better and I won't worry, so much. Hope you are all doing well and look forward to sharing with you all, again. Take care. Lucyee

Lucyee
09-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi! Sorry I haven't read the past posts, before I posted my message. I am sure a lot is going on, in your lives, as well. Please forgive me, until I can catch up. Lucyee

Katey
09-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi all,
Barb: I'm sorry to hear the news about your mother. It's too bad that she is so much farther away. You need to be able to spend as much time with her as you want. I'm keeping you very close in thought and prayer. Take care.

Ali: Most gas around here is $2.95 now. I did go by a station tonight where it was $2.89 and I zoomed right in and bought some with the little money that I had. I hope that you'll be able to make your trip north. I know you've been looking forward to it. We got 3" of rain yesterday from Katrina, but no wind. Today has been beautiful and it's supposed to stay like this for the weekend. I'm reading Lone Calder Star by Janet Dailey. Have you ever read any of the Calder series? I enjoyed them.

Lucyee: Welcome back...sounds like for just a short time before you're leaving again. Has your sister been sick? I guess I thought you had just gone for a visit.

Nikki: You must be busy working on DD's house.

Anne: Hope things are going okay. How's little Toby?

Take care,
Kate

ageoldie
09-03-2005, 12:18 AM
My Mom passed from this life on Thursday 9/1 about 2:15 in the afternoon. We has the visitation tonight and it was one of the hardest things I've even been through. The funeral will be tomorrow. Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.

aleka
09-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Barb, You have my deepest sympathy for the loss of your mother. I know what a difficult time you are going through right now. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Take care. :grouphug:
Ali

nikkic
09-03-2005, 08:52 AM
Barb,

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I know how hard it is and it is one of the hardest things to deal with. Your in my thoughts and prayers, Nikki:grouphug:

nikkic
09-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Hi Everyone,

We have been busy with DD's house. Yesterday, I was there from 9am till after 9pm. DH and DD been helping more too. I have meant to check in here, but I try to limit my computer time, besides, I'm not getting notices that there are new postings for some reason, so I never know when when someone has posted.

Ali, what are the prices of gas down there now? I got gas yesterday and it was 2.84 at Walmart, so I filled up. They say that we are going to get more gas, but I wonder if the prices will come down. I sure hope you can go home, but I suppose you will have ot see what it's like when the time comes.

Lucyee, your busy as a bee. I am in the same boat as far as the weight thing goes. My diet and exercise flew out the window awhile ago.

Kate, congratulations to your DS and his girlfriend on their engagement. It is a big event and sounds like a beautiful place to get married. What part of Colorado would it be in?

Anne, I wonder if the new BF is like the old one. I know with the old one, we were only suppose to do it once a day and the new one, your suppose to do it 2 times a day. So that much is different. How is Toby doing?

Barb, again, my deepest sympathy to you. :grouphug:

aleka
09-04-2005, 09:19 AM
Good morning,

We have decided not to make the trip north on Fri. :( DH just doesn't want to take a chance on not finding any gas. We would hate to be so far from home and be stuck somewhere, especially with Lacee. He has told his boss and he'll be working that week. We both are very disappointed. We do have some stations down here that appear to be out of gas.

Nikki, that is really great you're doing all of this for your DD#1. :angel: How are the renovations coming along? It's funny you should mention about not getting any e mails when someone posts. That happens to me sometimes too. As a matter of fact, I didn't get an e mail to say you had posted. :?: It seems that all the gas stations I saw yesterday had $3.09 a gal.

Anne, you must be starting your time off this week. It will be great being away from :devil: for a while. How did Toby make out at the Vet? I bought Greer's new BF tape w/the gym-bar from HSN and it arrived a couple of days ago. Three tapes came, Getting Started, which you do the 1st day, then the Work Out, which you do day 2 and on, then there is an advanced workout. Her eating plan is ok, you get to eat a lot of food, 1600 cal. But, in her egg recipes it's either all egg whites or more egg whites than yolks. :p

Kate, glad you were able to fill your gas tank at that price. Have gas prices risen very much where you are? I don't think I have read any of Janet Dailey's Calder series. I may have read one of the books a very long time ago. I have discovered an author, Bernard Cornwell. A couple of books I read were really good. Both were historical romances, one took place in the 1600's and the other one took place in the 1790's during France's revolution. They both kept me on the edge of my seat.

Lucyee, welcome back! We missed your posts. Sorry that you'll be heading out again so soon. You must be busy getting things straightened out at home and now packing again.

Barb, again, I cannot tell you how sorry I am for your loss. :grouphug:

Hope you're all having a nice Labor/Labour Day Weekend.

Ali

Lucyee
09-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Hi Everyone!
Barb, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Mother. My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. God be with you!
I am returning to my Sister's this week and hoping that all goes well. I feel a little pressure, but I know I will do all I have to do, and it will turn out okay, in the end. With the help of the Home care and the physical therapy, she seems to be improving a bit, but it will take a little time.

Ali, Sorry about your having to change plans, with your trip. This gas crisis is horrible, for everyone, now.

Kate, Thanks for thinking of me. I am all mixed up with the diet, but it will happen and fall into place when it is supposed to, I hope.

Anne and Nikki, I hope you enjoy the Labor day weekend.

Ttyl. Hugs, to all. Lucyee

nikkic
09-05-2005, 10:24 AM
HI Everyone,

Again, no email that anyone had posted. I will just have to check in daily.
We are working like mad on DD's house, trying to finish it up before she moves in. It's going well, but I'm seriously tired of doing it everyday. DH and I think if we ever did flip a house, it would be like this, but we won't be on such a close time line. This was fun, but it's turning into a job:lol:
Lucyee, when are you leaving again? How long will you be gone? Hope you have a safe trip and yours sister is getting better everyday.

Anne, speaking of sisters, best wishes to your sister this week. I know it's going to stressful for her, your mom and you.

Ali, yesterday, gas had gone down to 2.77 a gallon. I wonder if anyone will get into trouble for price gouging when this is over with. Oil companies are reporting record profits (that is only what they are reporting, I tend to think they might not report everything:nose: ). Gas is still available everywhere here so far. I am sorry you can't make your trip home. At least you will be safe. I would be worried about making that trip too.

Hi Kate, what is your job that you do? Working with children is a very noble profession, I admire you for doing that.

Barb, I hope your taking care of yourself. I know it's hard to eat and resting is hard to do too when your going through this. Hugs to you:grouphug: .

I better get going, I have to lay some carpet that I'm having some trouble cutting. Take care everyone, Nikki

Lucyee
09-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Hi Everyone! Happy labor day! Where has the Summer gone??

Nikki, Boy, it sounds like you are really working full time, on your DD's house. I ca imagine how hard it is to be at it, everyday, but I know the rewards will be great for you, when you and DH complete all your work. I return to my Sister's on Friday and if she continues to improve the way she has been, I am sure that things will fall into place and then, I will be going back to visiting every couple of months, as I usually do. Otherwise, it is too hard for me, to keep up the pace, anymore. Thanks for your good wishes.
Big waves to Ann, Ali, Kate. Hope you are enjoying the day.
Barb, You are in my thoughts, I know how hard each day is for you. Prayers for all of you.

Take care and I'll TTYL. Lucyee

ageoldie
09-05-2005, 11:30 AM
This is the first day of the rest of my life. How many times have I heard that said, and said it myself, but today it takes on new meaning. I have to start realizing my mom is no longer around. She was not only my mom, but my best friend. We did almost everything together, we live only a couple of blocks apart, and I either saw her or talked to her every day.

The funeral is over, and everyone is back to their own homes and lives. My sister Val & I went over to her house yesterday and cleaned out the refridgerator and freezer and locked up the house. My brother is the executiter of the will and the "estate" such as it is, so I'm leaving all those detail to him.

So other than laundry (which I've put off much too long) I plan to get my act together, plan my meals for the week, and get back to the exercise mode

nikkic
09-08-2005, 10:11 AM
HI Everyone,

I have been working on DD's house (bet that's news, :lol: ). It's getting there. I'm wishing it was my house, I love that place.
Barb, it is so difficult to face the day to day things when your feeling this way. I've always thought that if you stick to a routine, then the routines seems to carry you along, if that makes any sense.

Lucyee, I never did know, what problems is your sister dealing with? You are a very good sister for helping her out. Bless your heart:)

Hi everyone else. It's getting to be fall around here. I find leaves in my water fountain everyday now. The tomatoes are starting to look like kind of leggy and the impatients are too. Hope your all doing well. I have to get back on track with my diet plan and exercise. I have moved back into the next size of pants, It is uncomforable being this large and trying to work.

I better finish this up and get going. Take care all, Nikki

Lucyee
09-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Hi! Nikki, I was glad to get your post, before I head off to my Sisters tomorrow. Nice to hear that you are enjoying your DD's house. It does feel strange, when Fall starts to come our way. Watching the things of Summer, fade away. However, when the leaves start changing and all those beautiful colors are here, they are wonderful to look at. My Sister has been ill, for some time. She was suffering from Depression, after she lost her two Dear Sons, 38 and 32 yrs. old, one had Brain Cancer and the other, an accident. They were like my sons, as well. I was never blessed with children of my own, but I am a second Mom, to all my Nieces and Nephews and I have quite a few. Anyway, even though, it was 10yrs ago, she has had a difficult time of it. On top of that, she lost her Daughter In Law, 42 yrs., 3 yrs. ago. Besides that she has a Bladder problem, which the urologists say they can't fix. She is 10 yrs. older than I am, but she has been a great Sister to me, so I am glad to help. The good part is that we finally found the right Dr., for her and he has given her new medication, which is really helping her, with her Depression. Also, a good physical therapist, to help her, with her walking and back problems. A lot going on, at once. It is looking good, though, finally.

Thinking of you, Barbara. I found out myself, that what Nikki mentioned about Routine worked a lot for me. It still does not take away our pain, but it helps us get through each day. You are in my prayers.

Hi, Annie, Ali and Kate. Hope you all have a good day. I am going away tomorrow, so I won't be able to post to you all, until I return. Until then, take care and you'll be in my thoughts. Lucyee

aleka
09-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Good afternoon,

Thankfully we won't be seeing much of anything of Ophelia in our neck of the woods. It's a good thing we cancelled our trip because we'd have probably run right smack dab into her along the way.

Lucy, sorry about all that your sister has gone through these past years. How awful losing both your children and a DIL. It's good that you're there for her. Like you, I don't have any children either. I hope you have a safe trip and have a good visit. I'm glad that things seem to be working out for her.

Nikki, I bet you're DD's house is shaping up nicely. Why don't you ask your DD if she'll switch houses. :lol: Pretty soon you'll be raking leaves. That was one chore I didn't mind doing in the yard.

Barb, what Nikki and Lucy said about keeping a routine to help you through is good advice. I've been where you are now. A routine kept me going plus leaning on my friends and family. :grouphug:

Anne, your sister has her surgery this week, I'll be thinking about her. Please let us know how she's doing.

Kate, are you busy now that school has started? I'm sure the first week of school things will be in a turmoil.

The weather has gotten a bit less humid. It's still hot, but doesn't feel as bad. We also have a pretty nice breeze. It won't be long now before I'm able to open up the house and let in some fresh air. :sunny:

Hope you all have a wonderful day.
Ali

ageoldie
09-10-2005, 11:10 PM
Hi all,

I agree that a routine helps keep things going, but somehow I can't seem to get it together yet. I intended to go work out everyday this week, but couldn't seem to make my self actually do it. I'm sure that part of it has to do with the fact that that was me and Mom's special time together. We would meet at the health club and walk or do water aerobics and sit and visit for a while before I'd go to work, and she'd go home. There zre a lot of ladies who have been very supportive of me there, and I'm just having a hard time going back. I think that I know that they will all be sympathic to me and my usual way of handling thing is to ignore them. If I go back I will not be able to ignore the feeling I've been trying to ignore. Does that make any sense?

This has been a very long week for me, but at least I've had a job to go to. We got word yesterday that one of our doc's son was killed in a car wreck Thursday. We dod not get any details.

Then there was all the stuff trying to get mother's estate settled. My brother is taking care of all the legal stuff, but my sister and I have had to do a lot of the "house-keeping" aspects and I got the job to handling all the insurance stuff.

Well thanks to all of you for letting me vent and get some things out in the open. Maybe now I can deal with them

http://host.picturewizard.com/2004-11/200396/new%20siggys/Barbara_GreenTag_TeddyBear_Flowers.jpg

nikkic
09-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Hi Everyone,

We're still working on DD's house. I'm enjoying it to no end, DH hates it passionately and never lets a moment go by without letting me know that. Later, he apologizes for being such a whiner. Today was a good day, he went to visit his son, so I worked alone most of the day. DD came over and helped too, but she is no problem, and can't wait to move in. Tomorrow, he is suppose to help some with the cabinets, so maybe I'll be busy in another room and only have to hear the complaining from a distance:lol:

Ali, I'm glad that the last Ophelia missed you. Isn't that the same one that is still going by the east coast now? Sure seems to have hung around for a long time.

Lucyee, have a safe trip and can't wait till you come back. Thanks for sharing that about your sis.

Barb, your going through a really hard time right now. I lost my parents about 15 years ago. Dad died of cancer and mom of alzheimers. Not at the same time, but fairly close to each other. It takes a long time to work through your feelings and you have every right not to rush it.
Sorting out possessions is especially difficult. My folks lived through the depression, so their house was filled with stuff from the past 50 years of their lives, if not longer. It took me a good year to get through it all. Finally, there was basically garbage (probably priceless antiques these days). I couldn't stand it anymore, so I hired some people that came and hauled everything away for $50. I never did miss any of it. I found that if I made lists of things to do it helped. If you can only do 15 minutes of sorting a day, you will make progress.
As far as exercise goes, maybe you should think about trying something else for a change. Walking outdoors or join Curves. Personally, I really enjoy doing Leslie Sansones walking tapes. Exercise of any kind is great for helping with stress. I find I can walk in there (exercise room former known as DD's bedroom:lol: ) with my teeth clenched together and by the time I'm done, I'm more relaxed than I've been all day. Well, I'm a great one to talk, I haven't exercised all month. I have been working my behind off at DD's house, unfortunately, my behind is not listening and is not getting any smaller. I will have to get back on track myself and soon. BIG HUGS to you Barb:grouphug:

Anne, hope your sister is doing well and you too. I know your really busy with eveything, take care.

Kate, how's the school season going? Bet your hopping.

I better run, DH just got home, take care all, Nikki

aleka
09-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Hi everyone,

It's a beautiful morning, cooler than it has been. We're still in the 90's during the day though.

DH & I took a ride to Sanibel Is. yesterday. Just about everything was closed. I'm sure it's because it's the off season.

Nikki, glad you're enjoying yourself working on your DD's house. I like working alone, then I don't have to listen to what I'm doing wrong and how it should be done. :rolleyes: I just hear it the next day after it's done. :lol: I'm glad Ophelia missed us too. It's just spinning around out in the Atlantic. It's supposed to hit in someplace in the Carolinas.

Barb, I know what a difficult time you're going through now. I lost my Mom 26 yrs. ago this month from cancer and I lost my Dad 4 yrs. ago. I know it's hard to go places where you used to go with your mother or where you would see her every day. The first time you go back to the health club will be the hardest. But, it will get better with time. Is there someplace else that offers water aerobics? If so, then I would go there for a while until you are ready to go back to the health club. Nikki had a good suggestion to join Curves or get some exercise videos. Let us know how things go.

Kate, I just picked up The Da Vinci Code to read. I haven't started it yet. I'll let you know how I like it.

Lucyee, hope you had a good trip to your sister's. Hope everything goes well.

Anne, how is your sister doing? I wish her a speedy recovery.

ageoldie
09-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Well they say the first time for everything is the hardest. I made it to the health club today, and it was hard. Most of the people knew about Mom, but some didn't and asked about her. But I got through it, and I do feel better having exercised, so I guess things will even out now.

Nothing else it going on around here. I'm still selling off stuff on ebay, but it has slowed down a good bit. But every little bit helps.

Today was a big mail day at work, so I was busy all afternoon. Nothing else much to say.

http://host.picturewizard.com/2004-11/200396/new%20siggys/!cid_029101c5b28b$8b506ff0$0a00a8c0@PUGAHOLIC5.jpg

Katey
09-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi,
Barb, I'm so sorry about your mother. It's difficult no matter how old you are. I lost my mother when I was 11 and even now there are times when I get sad. You were so close to your mother that it will be especially hard. I'm glad that you got that first trip to the health club over with. This will be a year of a lot of firsts. I'm keeping you in my prayers. Take care.

I don't have much going on except work. This has been the worst opening of school that I can remember. We still have people coming in to register. There have been over 200 since the 1st of August:eek: We've gotten a few from Louisiana and Mississippi who are staying with relatives.

Ali: Hope you enjoy the DaVinci Code. To me it was a story, not factual. I'm reading the Peach Shortcake Murder....it's fluff:D Glad that you're getting some good weather. I'm sorry that you weren't able to make the trip north. Gas prices were terrible around here, $3.49 a gallon! This week they're coming down some.

Nikki: You've sure been busy! Your DD must love how it's coming along. What a nice gift to her! I think my DH and I are the original packrats:o I hate to part with my things and he's the same. Maybe I should clean his stuff out and he should do mine!! I don't want my kids to have to do it.

Anne: How are things going? Is your sister doing okay? Did you make it to the Elton John concert? The weather has been just beautiful. We've had weekend after weekend of sunny skies...a rarity for us.

Lucyee: Your sister has had many ordeals in her life. It's good that you're there to help out and able to spend time together. Have a safe trip and let us know when you get back.

We had friends from PA for the weekend. It's always fun, but I was exhausted and haven't accomplished much since. Time to get a move on and do something before bedtime.

Take care,
Kate

aleka
09-14-2005, 08:23 AM
Hello everyone,

When DH went into work Mon. he asked if he could get his 2 weeks off again. He was able to get the last week in Sept. & 1st week in Oct. off. So, we're heading north on the 24th. :cb: :dance: As soon as we had hung up I ran to the garage and got our suitcase out. :D

Barb, I'm glad you got your first visit to the health club over with. Also, it gave the people there who knew you and your Mom a chance to talk about her. It will get easier as time goes on.

Kate, it sounds like a mad house at work. :dizzy: I've read that some victims from Katrina are going to a few of the northern states. MA took some of them in. I read that they've housed some of them on the Cape. I am so sorry that you lost your mother at such a young age. It must've been very hard on you, especially during your teen years. I was 31 when I lost my mother and remember how hard it was. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose her at 11. I still haven't started The Da Vinci Code yet, :o But, I'm viewing it as fiction rather than non. I should get crackin' on it so that I can give it to either my cousin or MIL when we get to MA. I enjoy reading fluff after a book I have to concentrate on.

Anne, how are things with you? Hope everything is ok.

Nikki, how are things progressing on your DD's house? When does she move in?

Lucyee, hope you're enjoying your visit.

Have a great day!
Ali

ageoldie
09-15-2005, 09:53 AM
Just checking in to say hello.

http://host.picturewizard.com/2004-11/200396/sept5/CatblackwhiteliterboxBarbaraFelix-vi8.gif

nikkic
09-16-2005, 10:20 AM
HI everyone,

Wow, it's getting cooler here. It was 45 last night and we had to wear a jacket. DH was kidding me that in a few months, we would think that was warm and run around in shorts and short sleeves when it gets to 45. We are still working on DD's house, but it's starting to get finished up, finally. She moves in next Thursday or Friday.

Kate, gas is back down to 2.50 a gallon around here now. How's it doing up where you are?

Ali, Iowa has taken in around 500-600 survivors from Katrina so far. When they were loading buses, some of them were told they could stay where they were, or come to Iowa and they chose to stay there. I couldn't figure that out, I guess they were waiting for something better. The ones that have come here have been given housing, clothing and jobs. I don't know if they will all stay, but several of them that were interviewed said they will.

Anne, hope things are ok with you, think about you often.

Barb, Hi back at you. That is great that you went to the health club. Hope work is getting better for you.

Shoot, I got to run, take care everyone, Nikki

Katey
09-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Hi everybody!
Anne: Did you get those torrential rains yesterday? We had 3" or more. There was lots of flooding. A picture in the paper today showed one section of an expressway that looked like a lake. Lots of people were stranded in their cars around the city. It just came so fast that the drainage systems couldn't handle it. I hope everything is going okay for you and your sister.

Ali: I'm so glad that you're going to be able to come north!! You must be so excited. Is your suitcase packed?;) Have you started The DaVinci Code yet? I couldn't get into The Peach Cobbler Murder....it was a little too much fluff:lol:

Nikki: Your daughter must be getting so excited about moving into her new home. You really accomplished a lot so quickly. Our gas prices are down to $2.89 and we're jubilant! There's something a little out of whack about that!

Barb: Keeping you close in thought. Hope that things are settling down a bit and you've been able to get back into some sort of routine.

Lucyee: Hope you're enjoying your time away.

Went to a wedding last night. It was a girl (early 30s) from work that I've known since she started in the school district. She did some really different things that I thought were nice touches. On each table she had the name of a city and a computerized list of interesting facts connected with her and her husband related to the city. It was fun to switch them between tables and got people talking.

Tonight we're getting together with friends and Monday I'm REALLY going to get serious about choosing an eating plan to stick to. Work has been nuts so I haven't even gone to Curves much either.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Take care,
Kate

aleka
09-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Good morning everyone,

Hope you all enjoyed your weekend. DH had to work Sat., but he had yesterday off. It was so nice here Sun. morning that we got to open up the sliding doors and a few windows. It won't be long now before we'll be able to keep them open.

It doesn't look like we're going to get much of anything out of Rita. They're talking about showers and thunder showers for tomorrow.

Anne, we miss hearing from you. Hope everything is ok and that you're just busy.

Kate, hope you had a good time with your friends over the weekend. Glad you enjoyed yourself at the wedding. My suitcase is already packed and standing by the front door as we "speak". :lol: It sounds like you had a lot of rain. Did you get any flooding? Yes, I have started The Da Vinci Code. It's really good. I know it's just a story, but where these organizations really do exist, it makes you pause and think a bit. :chin: It has a lot of twists and turns that keep me on the edge of my seat. Have you decided on what eating program you're going to follow? I saw an ad in the paper for Curves and they have an eating plan that you can follow. I don't know if the plan is something new, or if it's the same 2 they've always had.

Nikki, how are things coming on DD's house? I bet she's all excited about moving in. I am so happy for her. I saw gas yesterday at around $2.74, which is about what it was before Katrina. I read in the paper that most of the people from Katrina are opting to stay where they relocated because they know they have nothing to return home to, or they don't have any insurance. That is odd that some chose to stay put rather than go to Iowa.

Hi to you too Barb, :wave: Hope things are getting better for you.

Lucyee, hope you're having a good time. By the time you get back I'll be gone for 2 weeks.

Enjoy your Monday everyone!
Ali

nikkic
09-19-2005, 09:50 PM
HI Everyone,

We are almost done with DD's house. My other DD stopped by this morning and was amazed at how much better the kitchen looks. She said we should go into business remodeling kitchens. I told her I'd never survive that:lol: .

Ali, our gas prices as of today were 2.43. I keep wondering why anyone would think staying in the Astrodome was better than coming to Iowa. Does Iowa have that bad of a reputation? It's really not that bad here. I know most people think it's only corn fields, but there is so much more. There's soy bean fields, hog lots and cattle farms:lol: . Honestly though, there really is a lot more here and many places are actually beautiful.

Kate, have you chosen an eating plan yet? I am just eating more healthy and I've lost some weight (nothing to get excited about, I've lost these same pounds many times before).

Hi to everyone else, hope your all ok.

Better get off the computer, Stripe has officially sat on my arms and that limits my typing ability, kind of like typing with a straight jacket on. Take care, Nikki

ANNE D
09-20-2005, 08:54 AM
Good Morning Ladies!~
Hope everyone is doing great. Kate, I didn't go to the concert. I sent my
son in my place. Too much going on..... but on a happier note, My DH and
I are going to see Dame Edna at the end of October which is our 27th
Anniversary. That will make up for missing Elton John.

Nikki, our gas prices are a disgrace. I don't know what gives :dizzy: Its
getting to the point where everyone will need a second job to fill the tank.
I bet you are glad your daughters place is nearly ready :) She must be
thrilled.
Ali, I am so glad to hear you won't be in harms way with Rita. I heard a
couple of guys on the radio yesterday saying these warm temperatures are
here to stay climate change and all that stuff.

Hope you all have a great day!
Anne.

aleka
09-20-2005, 09:23 AM
Hello everyone,

It looks like Rita will be hitting the Texas coast. Barb, I hope you're out of harms way. What are they saying for your area? There are tropical storm watches/warnings out south of us. One of the cities (towns) is borders our city. They're saying we'll probably see some showers and tunder showers throughout today.

Anne, it is so nice to hear from you. Sorry you didn't get to go to the concert. You'll enjoy Dame Edna. Are you back to work now?

Nikki, that's wonderful that DD#2 noticed how much better the kitchen looked. I bet you felt like....:cb: :dance: :dancer: I think Iowa would be a great place to live. I'd prefer Iowa to the Astrodome, that's for sure. With your gas prices, I may move there myself. ;) Our gas prices haven't changed very much, if at all.
Congratulations on your weight loss. Even if you've lost these same lbs. before, you're heading in the right direction.:high:

Hi Kate, Lucyee, Barb hope things are going ok with you.

Have a good one.
Ali

Katey
09-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Good evening! It's been another beautiful day. I just love fall. The cool nights are great for sleeping and the air is so crisp. Hectic week at work and I haven't felt too good because I have a bladder infection. Probably will have to see a urologist because I've had so many this year. I don't like taking antibiotics so much.

Anne: I'm sorry that you didn't get to the concert. Did your son enjoy it? I think I've heard the name Dame Edna, but I can't remember anything about her. Fill me in please. How is your sister doing? I hope that she made out okay.

Nikki: This week I'm doing WW, counting points. It's going pretty well! Of course I'm only 2 days into it:D Congrats on your weight loss! It's okay if you've lost those same pounds before...you're back on track. How exciting that you're almost done with DD's house. Did you take before and after pictures? I never remember to do that:o

Ali: Your trip is getting close! Are you going to be able to post at all while you're gone? I hope you can...I'll miss you. How much rain have you gotten from Rita? I didn't see the news tonight so I'm not sure exactly where it is right now.

Barb: Hope that you're doing okay. Will you be affected by the hurricane? What a terrible thing to have another one. Makes you wonder what's happening to the atmosphere.

Lucyee: Hope you're enjoying your trip!

Has anybody else gotten hooked on Lost? I can't wait for the season opener tonight.

Take care,
Kate

aleka
09-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Good morning everyone,

Had an interesting day yesterday. Tues. afternoon some guy let a cat loose at our next door neighbor's house, and they're up north. We have a chain link fence that surrounds our property. On the other side of our house is an empty lot with scrub brush. While we were eating supper out on the lanai I heard the cat crying in the scrub brush. I went to investigate and the cat was rubbing its head on my hand through the chain link, and licked my finger. The poor little thing looked so lost and kept crying. The cat woke me up at 5:00 am crying yesterday morning. I managed to get the cat in my back yard through the gate out back. I gave it some milk and called the animal control people. The officer came out and the cat was scared to death of him, so he left the carrier with me since the cat seemed to trust me. I fed it some tuna fish and while the cat was eating I grabbed it and put it in the pet carrier, then called animal control again and he came back and got the cat. It was a very young cat and someone had it declawed, so it had been a house cat. No wonder the poor thing was confused. I told him that some guy dropped it off, and the animal control officer said that it was probably some sort of domestic dispute. Now the cat is in their facility quarantined for "X" amount of days then will be transfered to the Humane Soc. for adoption. How inhumane to leave a defenseless cat out on its own. It makes me boiling mad everytime I think of it. :censored: :censored: I would've taken it in but, DH is allergic to cats and I don't think Lacee would be very happy with a sister or brother. I really missed the cat after the officer took it away.

Those poor, poor people in Texas. Some of the people are evacuees of Katrina. My heart goes out to them. DH says we're still heading north on Sat. no matter what the gas situation is. :crossed:

Kate, glad that counting points is going well for you so far. Just take it one day at a time. We're just getting some feeder bands off of Rita. It's been cloudy and every once in a while we get some torrential rain that only lasts a few minutes. My ILs have a lap-top that we check our e mails from, so I will be able to check in.

Hi Anne, Nikki, Barb, Lucyee :wave:

Hope you all have a good day.
Ali

Katey
09-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Barb: Stay safe. This is unbelievable.

Take care,
Kate

nikkic
09-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Hi Everyone,
Today is the big day, we will be moving most of DD's stuff into her house. I am beyond being ready to stop going over there everyday. DH says we will still have to go over more than we expect. I'm hoping that since everything is fixed and really in move in condition now, that she will not need anything fixed, worked on or replaced any time soon.

Barb, stay safe and be careful. This has to be really scarey for you.

Ali, as I sit here, Mr. Stripe is on my lap. Not really on my lap, the spoiled baby doesn't like sitting on my lap, he is use to me holding him up on my chest. If I try to have him just sit on my lap, he keeps nuzzling me and trying to sit on my boobs, slips down and then tries to sit back on them again. I don't know how anyone could be so heartless as to let a cat out like that. I'm glad you were able to get it to safety and hopefully, it will have a good home to look forward to and someone to spoil her too. Have a good time on your trip and take care.

Anne, I can hardly believe that your having your 27th anniversary. Doesn't seem like that long ago you were having your 25th and a big party. Congratulations to you both.
Talk about warm, it's still in the 90's here and humid. It feels more like the middle of August, instead of the end of Sept. This weather has been weird all year.

Kate, bladder infections are so annoying and can be very painful. I hope you get some relief soon.
Yes, I did take before and after pictures of DD's house. If you would like to be bored beyond words, send me a PM with your email address and I will send them to you or anyone that would like to see them. Don't worry though if you want to pass:D , I won't blame you a bit.:lol:

Lucyee, hope your trip is going well. Can't wait to have you back.
Better go get a shower and get going, be careful everyone, Nikki

aleka
09-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Good morning everyone,

Just wanted to pop in to say good-bye for now. We're leaving early tomorrow morning. I'll be checking in once we get to my IL's house.

DH has a cousin who lives in Houston. His MIL just passed away a few days ago, so he and his wife flew to NH yesterday. They'll stay up there until they can go back to Houston. They're just hoping they'll have a house to go back to. I also have a cousin who lives there and he's opted to stay put. Stubbornness is a family trait. :lol:

Barb, I've been thinking about you and hope you stay safe.

Nikki, how did the moving go? Smoothly, I hope. ;) Your DD must've been so happy to finally move into her new house. Hope she had a good first night sleeping there. I honestly don't know how anyone could be so heartless and let a poor defenseless kitty on its own that had probably never been outside before. The cat will make a nice house pet for someone.

Kate, how are you feeling? Bladder infections aren't any fun. Hope you're starting to feel better. I'm still reading The Da Vinci Code. I'm finding that it's getting rather boring. But, I'm determined to finish it.

Anne, how are things going so far for you this week? How is your sister coming along? I see Fall started yesterday. It still feels like summer here, I'm still in shorts.

Lucyee, hope you have a safe trip back home.

Bye, :wave:

Take care,
Ali

Katey
09-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Hi Ali,
Just wanted you to know that I'll be thinking of you as you travel north. Be safe and have a great trip!

Take care,
Kate

nikkic
09-24-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi Everyone,

Ali, hope you have a safe trip and enjoy your time up home. Looks like most of Houston had minimal damage so far. Hope your DH's cousin's place is ok and they are able to return soon. I am afraid that since there was such a mess with this evacuation, that a lot of people will not leave next time. It would be a really difficult decision to make.

Hey Barb, how are things in Dallas? Hope your doing ok. Are there gas shortages there too? I have seen a lot of news about the coast of Texas, but not so much about how it's affecting the rest of the state.
How's your exercise been? I'm not doing anything that is routine yet. I will start this week though, since DD's house is for the most part, done.

Kate, I decided to start eating frozen dinners a couple of times a day with a salad and then cereal for breakfast with fruit, popcorn, a snack bar or something like that for snacks. I wanted to try Nutrisystem, but it turns out to be beyond my budget. Besides, not all the food is that great on their plan and I'd hate to eat things that maked me gag and pay a lot for it. Say, I tried Special K's new Vanilla Almond cereal the other day and it is good. I don't like the regular Special K. Another thing I tried that is new to me is a new non stick spray made by Mazola. It's called Mazola Pure, I purchased the butter flavor, there are two others, olive oil and some other. It says pure aroma, pure taste, no silicone, no alcohol. It has no calories and is fat free (if you don't over spray it of course). I was really surprised, it does smell and taste like butter and there is no funky smell with it when you spray it. I used it to bake some fish with and it worked very well. Can't say there was much of a butter flavor when I was eating it though.

Lucyee, are you home yet girlfriend? Just hope your trip was/is a safe one and that your doing ok.

Anne, I've never seen Dame Edna, just caught bits and pieces of an interview on BBC America. Hope you have a great time. How's the new fur baby? Bet he's growing more all the time.

Better get a shower and get myself in gear. Have lots of fish tanks to clean. Poor things, they have been needing attention for some time now and I've been too busy to do much but feed them and watch the algae grow in their tanks.
Take care all, Nikki

nikkic
09-24-2005, 10:13 AM
OH I forgot to mention this. If you have a cell phone or know anyone that does, in the next two weeks, they will be releasing all cell phone numbers to telemarketers. If they call you and you answer, you will have to pay for the minutes. If you see a message and don't know who it's from, it's probably a telemarketer.

To stop getting any phone calls you can either call this number or visit this website and put all you numbers on a do not call list. I copied the info from cheapskate.com a website that sends me some useful stuff sometimes. Nikki

You must call (888) 392-1222 from your cell phone or the number you want to have blocked. Better yet, save your airtime and register all of your numbers at www.DoNotCall.gov

ageoldie
09-28-2005, 10:10 AM
I'm ready for fall!!! These 100+ days are getting old, especially now that it's almost October!!! I got several pretty pot plants when mother died, and I have them out on my patio, but it's getting really hard to keep them alive in this heat!!!

I'm not sure excatly what I've told all of you, but it is offical. Our business is closed. We let the final employee go last Friday and we are taking the final inventories today. So my DH is unemployed. At 59 years old that is very scary!!! He's too young for SS an too old from a lot of jobs... Keep us in your prayers, that he will be able to find something soon.

Unfortunately the diet scene has gone by the wayside. Nervous eating has been the big thing this past few weeks. Hopefully, I'll get my act and my head together soon, before too much damage is done.

That's just about all I have to say, I hope all of you are doing well...Keep in touch!!

http://host.picturewizard.com/2004-11/200396/sept5/barb2.jpg

Katey
09-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Hi all,
I'm still crazed at work. Hopefully by this time next week things will settle to a more normal pace. Went to the doctor today because I had such a backache yesterday that I felt queasy. I thought it might have something to do with all the bladder infections that I've had because the last few I've gotten I've had a backache. She's sending me for a renal ultrasound and a lower back xray next week.

Barb: So glad that you got through the hurricane okay. I don't envy your 100 degree heat. I don't think I could take that. I'm sorry to hear about your business. It's a lot of time and energy that goes into running your own business. I hope your DH finds something quickly. Is your job going any better?

Nikki: So what are you doing with all your free time now that DD's house is done???? I'm sure you've found some other projects to keep you going. How has your eating been? I haven't weighed myself since I started back on WW. Last week the eating went real well. This week I've slacked off on writing things down, but I don't think I've done too bad. I'm going to wait a couple weeks before I face the scale.

Lucyee: We're waiting to hear from you!

Ali: You must be at your destination by now. Hope that your drive was okay. How are the fall colors? Hasn't turned much yet around here.

Anne: The weather is getting cooler. I've worn a jacket to work the last couple mornings. Hope things are going well for you. How's Toby?

Take care,
Kate

nikkic
09-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Morning everyone,

Our temps got down to mid 30's last night, no frost, but you could see your breathe this morning. Now they say it will warm up into the 70's again, which is fine with me, I still have lots of yard work to finish before winter gets here and I'm not ready to take off my gardening gloves yet;) .

Barb, glad your ok. I'm sorry to hear about your business though, that must be a real worry for you and your DH. I will keep you in my prayers.

Kate, I decided to eat around 1500 calories a day and not beat myself up if I go a little over. I thought I was doing great at that, but, after writing it down for a few days, I realized I'm eating around 2000 cals a day and I still feel hungry all the time. So, I looked at what I was eating and had to make a few changes. More vegetables, fewer puddings (even ff/sf have 70 calories) or snack bars, a lower calorie dressing on my salads, with no or fewer croutons on top (which I just love). You know, this is hard. I already feel deprived from not eating what I really want, now I have to eat less of the stuff that is ok, but not exactly what I want to eat. What I want to eat is a bag of potato chips and a container of dip, instead, I have a small bag of popcorn and a Crystal light. I've heard it's not will power, it's changing your behavior that makes the difference. Keep doing the same things, keep getting the same results. So. I'm trying to do that, change my behavior that is. I know this weekend will be especially difficult, as DH is off and we always have a big binge fest on his days off. He is not worrying about his weight (although, he should, I've never seen him at this weight before.) I'm going to have to figure out how to change that behavior, but it's going to be hard as he looks forward all week to his days off, drinking beer and eating too much.
As far as filling my time, I'm still helping DD with her yard. It looked like a jungle. I spend a few hours a day over there and then tackle my yard too, getting it ready for winter. Still, I'm not working nearly as hard as I was before, so I've no excuse for not exercising. I need to get our camper ready for winter too. The mice have already moved in there, which is early for them. I have some major cleaning to do to in there.

Ali, hope your having a great time and doing lots of shopping.
Anne, hope things are ok with you:) .
Lucyee, same to you sweetie:)

Better close, DH will be home soon, Nikki

aleka
09-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm on my IL's computer and I just lost a long post. :tantrum: :censored: :censored:

We made it to NH on Mon. and got to MA on Tues. We've been running around ever since. I met my girlfriend yesterday and we had a nice lunch and did some shopping.

Barb, glad that you made out ok with Rita. I am so sorry about your business. It's very hard, DH & I went through it last year. I will keep you in my prayers.

Kate, sorry that you're not feeling well. Does your Dr. think you may have a kidney infection? When I had my very first bladder infection that same thing happened to me, the back pain and being queasy. Luckily it was only the bladder infection. Good luck with your ultra-sound.

Nikki, how is the yard work going at your DD's house? It's awfully cold here in MA and where I'm so used to warmer temps., I can really feel it. But, I find it more invigorating than the steamy temps in FL.

Anne, how are things going with you? Hope everything is going well with you.

Lucyee, it won't be long before you're back. Hope you have a safe trip.

Have a good evening.
Ali

nikkic
10-05-2005, 01:10 PM
HI Everyone,

Barb, I sure hope your DH can find a job quickly. I know what a worry that is, my thoughts are with you.

Ali, you have a safe trip home. It's still hot here, we are running the ac today. They say tonight, it will go the other way and we will have to have the furnace on tomorrow. They are predicting frost tonight and tomorrow night. I've been hauling plants in all day and DH is not too happy about the plants in the house. It's a small house and they overwhelm some of the rooms. The DD's have offered to take some of the big ones, so that will help.

Kate, how did the tests turn out? Hope your feeling better:)

Anne, I think of you often and really miss you alot. Hope things are better for you now.

Hi Lucyee, how's it going? Are you back yet from your sis's?

I'm still hanging in there with the diet thing. I've lost a little more weight. Today, I add back exercise. I did the Walkblaster with Leslie Sansone, which was hard, especially since my ankle is like it is. But the hardest thing was, I did Core Secrets (it's video tapes that use the exercise ball and handweights). Wow, are my abs really out of shape. Last year this time, I was doing 300 crunches a day. Now 10 feel like 300. I really need to lose this weight though. This year, I've gained back 30 lbs that I had lost last year. Altogether, I need to lose 67 lbs. I think I can do it by my next birthday, but I really want to make sure I've done it by my 50th birthday, in two years. So, think I'll find a new ticker to put at the bottom of my posts and start from here.

Hope to hear from you all soon, take care, Nikki

aleka
10-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Good morning,

We're home!!! :D We couldn't have asked for better weather while we were staying at my IL's in MA. The temp was in the 70's & 80's most days. We had pretty good traveling weather heading home until we hit the southern end of SC, where we ran into TS Tammy. I was driving and it wasn't fun driving in torrential rain. Luckily we had made our reservations in Savannah, GA so we didn't have very far to go in all the rain. Unfortunately Savannah got the brunt of the storm, but we were glad to be off the road. It's pouring out here as we "speak".

Kate, how is your bladder infection coming along and how did your tests go? Hope everything is ok and that you're feeling better. Can you believe it? I'm still reading The Da Vinci Code. I'm in an awfully boring part, but I'm still determined to finish it. :sumo:

Anne, haven't heard from you in a while. Hope everything is going ok with you. I miss your posts.

Nikki, I like your new tracker. Did it cool down any? It's cooled down here in FL since we left. It's now in the 80's and you can really feel the difference. I was able to help unload the car without breaking out in a sweat! :lol: Congratulations on your weight loss. :high: I've decided to start on a diet Mon. and start walking again.

Lucy, how are things going with you? Hope everything is fine. Looking forward to you posting again.

Barb, hope everything is going ok with you. I saw on the Weather Channel that you were having some nice temps for a change. Has it warmed back up?

Have a great day everyone.
Ali

Katey
10-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Rats, I just lost a long post:mad: I've not had a good couple weeks. My bloodwork and ultrasound of my kidneys and bladder came back good. The xray of my back showed lots of arthritis which I guess is giving me the backache that I've had. I'm going to go to physical therapy to see if strengthening my back muscles will help. Of course I was told that I need to lose weight. I just haven't been able to stick with anything, but I'm going to have to if I don't want to be crippled.

Ali: Glad that you had a good trip and that you got back safely. How did Lacee do? Are you still reading the DaVinci Code? I've just started Trace by Patricia Cornwell. Haven't read any of her books in quite a while.

Barb: Hope things are settling down for you. How is work going?

Nikki: Have you started a new project yet?

Anne: Hope things are okay.

Lucyee: Are you back yet?

WHERE IS EVERYONE?????

Take care,
Kate

nikkic
10-12-2005, 10:43 PM
HI Everyone,

Kate, I'm glad to hear from you. I am sorry to hear about your back. I do know that exercise and weight loss will help, but I also know how hard it is. While it wasn't exactly great news, it was still good to hear that your bladder and kidneys are ok.
We haven't started any new projects. I'm just starting to feel like a human again:) . I do have a long list of things to get done before winter and I'm slowly making my way through them. They aren't much fun though, so I have no real motivation, other than knowing that winter is right around the corner, so I have to get moving on them. I am not a fall or winter person, so this time of year always gets to me.
I'm getting into exercise again. My diet hasn't been so great the last few days. I plan on getting back on track tomorrow.
Ali, glad your back home and that you had a good trip. Sounds like your trip home was a wet one. Have you finished the DaVinci Code?
Hi to everyone else, hope your doing ok and that we hear from you soon. Take care all, Nikki

aleka
10-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I went to the dentist this morning for a cleaning. I had initially gone to him last month due to a bothersome tooth. He said that the tooth could be sensitive, or that it's dying and will need a root canal and a crown. He told me to start using sensitive toothpaste to see if that was the cause. Well, since we've been back from vacation, the tooth seems to have gotten a little worse. So, while I was there I made an appt. to have the root canal done. I go Mon. morning to have that done. :( :headache:

Kate, glad that the tests on your kidneys and bladder came out ok. Sorry to hear about your back. An achy back is very uncomfortable. When do you start physical therapy? My FIL went for arthritus in his knees and it did wonders for him. Are you on any pain meds? Hope you're feeling better soon. Did you get any of the rain that New England got this week? Parts of NH were hit pretty hard with flooding and roads being washed away. I finally did finish the Da Vinci Code, and I got through it by skimming the pages and reading what I thought was interesting. Anyway, I got the gist of the story. :D I've started a Murder She Wrote book, I love those books, they're easy reading.

Nikki, has fall started in your area yet? It's still in the 80's here and awfully humid. We had some torrential rain come through yesterday late afternoon/early evening with a few rumbles of thunder in the mix. We've had a few showers come through today too. It did feel good not to be riding in the car anymore. Poor Lacee was out of sorts the last day. Finally she settled down. She does like to ride, but only for short trips.

Hi Anne, Barb, Lucyee, :wave: hope things are going well with all of you.

Take care and have a good afternoon.
Ali