Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Serving sizes for original recipes

shay2goal
07-06-2005, 11:31 AM
HI EVERYONE!
I use the Recipe Builder on the WW website but I'm having difficulty figuring out how many servings my recipe yields and how much food that is in each serving (i.e. how many cups of whatever in each serving)...alot of the recipes I enter are my own so I do not have a cookbook to tell me how much is in each serving...does anyone have a formula or anything that can help me out???
Thank you in advance

WaterRat
07-06-2005, 01:08 PM
No formula that I know of. When I'm figuring out one of my recipes, I make a list of the WW points in each ingredient so I have a total for the entire batch. Then when it's finished I measure how much there is, usually by putting it all into a large pyrex measuring bowl, and then figure out how many servings I can get for how many points. For instance, when I make chili, I figure the points for the entire amount of beans I put in, and the burger, etc. I measure it usually before cooking it all (but after browning the burger, onions). So if it's 6 cups, I can have have 1 cup for 1/6 of the points I figured, or 2 cups for 1/3 the points, etc. THis method works best on stuff like this, but if you have something less easy to measure, you can weigh it. I weigh the container empty first, then with food in it. Then I use the same method as above - 18 grams, I can have 3 gr for 1/6 the points, etc. HOpe this helps.