Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-06-2005, 03:55 AM   #1  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Default So what do you think of this?

As some of you may remember I've been on this forum before talking about my husband's search for a medication that will help him without having side effects that he doesn't like. He was on Paxil, was great on that but there some side effects he didn't like, then he tried Wellbutrin and Mirtazipine which did not work and in between his moods were terrible then he tried Effexor which was working great and the side effects were still there but not quite as bad. Then he got a psych consult through his family dr and this dr tells him he doesn't need to be on anti-depressants and if he has an anger problem he should look into anger management which my husband told the dr right away that he probably wouldn't do. So my husband decided to stop taking his Effexor, he was on a low dose so he didn't have to wean off. He was really po'd on Sunday about doing renos around the house, he was so angry right away that I didn't want to help him because I can't cope being around him when he is so angry. He's been okay since, no other outbursts but the med probably still hasn't completely worn off yet.

I am really po'd with this dr. How can you assess someone for depression when they've been on medication for over a month?? It seems obvious to me that he's not going to have the same signs and symptoms. I'm very frustrated because we are back to square one. I'm hoping that things will be okay but I'm not holding my breath waiting!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Jen,

I don't blame you for being upset. IMHO I think your DH should seek a 2nd opinion. Doctors are a dime a dozen, they are practicing physicians "key word Practicing" and what they say isn't law, especially when you know your own body better.

Maybe you can talk your DH into seeking a 2nd opinion and to continue his meds until he gets such an appointment. I hope he informed his regular Doctor that he went off his meds.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #3  
Jen

Yes the family dr knows that he has stopped taking his meds. She arranged this consult. I don't know how we would get another one and I really doubt he would go since he really didn't want to go to this one but she thought it was a good idea. I don't think she thought this other dr would tell him to go off his meds. He had an appt with her the same day he saw this psych dr and she said it was up to him if he wanted to stop taking the meds. I guess she didn't offer an opinion on what to do one way or the other. She is good like that in some ways because she wants you to take responsibility for your own health and make your own decisions but on the other hand it would be handy if she would just tell him what to do as he's more likely to listen to her than to me!
Old 07-06-2005, 05:01 PM   #4  
Walking by faith

Wink Hi Jen

My DH had an "anger management problem" too. He was also on Effexor (which stopped working after about 18 months) and Wellbutrin (which made things worse ). He finally found a Psychiatrist who read his case history, and put him on Prozac. He's been on it ever since; except for a brief period when he tried to wean himself off and all broke loose! My husband has had counseling to deal with his anger issues, but he also needs to be on his meds. I hope that maybe the Dr. will see the necessity of your DH staying on anti-depressants. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #5  
Jen

Thanks so much for your post Joanne. I think what will probably happen is that my dh will have to be off his meds for awhile and have his moods go back to being really bad before he realizes that he does need some help whether it be counselling or medication. I really do believe that both would be beneficial but he won't listen to me about this stuff so it almost seems that he's got to go through another crappy period before he is willing to admit he needs help.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:34 PM   #6  
Walking by faith

Default Jen

I hope he gets help soon..

Just send a message if you need to talk
Stepping Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #7  
Melissa

Honestly, I find it relieving to know there's a doctor out there that has actually said to someone that they don't need to be on meds. However, if your husband is going to listen to the doctor about not taking the meds, he should also listen to the rest of the doc's advice and get some counseling. Going off medications is rough to begin with.
cuqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:31 PM   #8  

Also you could check out a website www.psycheducation.org and look at the symptoms of bipolar 2. Sometimes uncontrollable anger and anxiety coupled with less sleep and other symptoms can be bipolar symptoms, and ergo need different drugs. And things like wellbutrin and effexor can only make things worse sometimes.

Worth reading about at least. Good luck!
Shalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:51 AM   #9  
Jen

Well what I said a week ago came true today...dh said that he thought he might have to start taking his meds again. I asked him if he thought his moods were getting worse and he admitted that they were. So I told him that my opinion was that he should be taking them but it was up to him what he wanted to do.

Shalia - I will check out that site, although I suppose if his psych dr doesn't think he needs meds he wouldn't likely consider that dh is bipolar!

cuqt - you are so right that he should do the counselling but I know he never would.