Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 07-05-2005, 10:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5'-2"

Default Another question about Celexa

I hope you don't mind if I jump in here with a question. I'm feeling miserable, and suddenly remembered that there's a wonderful depression forum here. Phew!

I suffer from dysthymia and major depressive disorder.
I've been on Celexa for about 5 months. (I formerly took Prozac, and have tried Effexor)
I'm at the top dosage... 60mg. It was working really well (apart from some concentration problems and a loss of creativity) until about two weeks ago. I'm suddenly terribly tired all the time and "weighed down", although I'm also having difficulty sleeping. My energy level is nil. I can't crack a smile. (Leenie, you know I'm normally cheery) I'm eating constantly, and can't wait to finish what I'm eating so I can move on to my next snack/meal.
My psychiatrist has just gone on holiday for a month, and I don't know what to do!
Does this sound like "med burnout"? I'm not having a major episode (thank God), but it seems as though my dysthymia could be kicking back in.

Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:38 PM   #2  
krazy binging insomiac

i would suggest going to your dr. asap...you could very easily have built up a tolerance to the meds or they've lost their effectiveness somehow.... it could be situation depression added on to it in which cause more / better meds won't help. but if its not situational, go see a doc.
nefarious_wytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Ellis - I wish I had some input to give you. I have 2 friends on Celexa and they have not had this problem, so I don't know what to tell you. They both love it - the only negative thing they have mentioned is that they feel "so content" that they don't have a "need" in the world. Don't need their husband to touch them, etc. just perfectly content. But you know what, both are on a low dose of Celexa and neither had major depressive disorder.

Did you happen to do this on the prozac and/or the effexor?

I'm so sorry you are having problems! Does your psychiatrist have someone taking his patients or his emergencies while he is gone? perhaps you could check with their office.

hugs & prayers,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:10 AM   #4  

Thank you, ladies.
It's definitely not situational. And Cathy, I can relate to the feeling of being "content". Although that has obviously passed for me.
Yes, I think this happened on Prozac. I burned out on it after about five years. The effexor didn't work at all... just made me terribly "flat".
I've just made an appointment to see my psychiatrist's partner. I won't be able to see her until next week, but it's a start.
Hopefully I can sleep the week away.
Thanks again... I really appreciate the input and the prayers.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Ellis,

I really didn't know what dysthymia was until I just looked it up. I can really relate to what I have read so far. It looks like staying on your meds the best way to go along with some friends to help pick your spirits up until your doctor comes back. Is it possible to talk to another doctor in the mean time?

I'm here for you if you need to talk, I will PM you my addy at work so we can chat.

Here's some stuff I found for others who don't know what dysthymia is (like me )

http://www.psychologyinfo.com/depres....htm#treatment

Treatment for Dysthymic Disorder
Psychotherapy is the treatment for choice for this psychological problem. Often, antidepressant medication is also recommended because of the chronic nature of the depression in Dysthymia. Psychotherapy is used to treat this depression in several ways. First, supportive counseling can help to ease the pain, and can address the feelings of hopelessness. Second, cognitive therapy is used to change the pessimistic ideas, unrealistic expectations, and overly critical self-evaluations that create the depression and sustain it. Cognitive therapy can help the depressed person recognize which life problems are critical, and which are minor. It also helps them to learn how to accept the life problems that cannot be changed. Third, problem solving therapy is usually needed to change the areas of the person's life that are creating significant stress, and contributing to the depression. Behavioral therapy can help you to develop better coping skills, and interpersonal therapy can assist in resolving relationship conflicts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia

Dysthymia, or dysthymic disorder, is a form of the mood disorder of depression characterised by a lack of enjoyment/pleasure in life that continues for at least six months. It differs from clinical depression in the severity of the symptoms. While dysthymia usually does not prevent a person from functioning, it prevents full enjoyment of life. Dysthymia also lasts much longer than an episode of major depression. Dysthymia may or may not respond to traditional anti-depressant medication and to other forms of therapy.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 05:28 PM   #6  

Leenie, you're a darling... thanks, hon.
Yes, the "partner" I referred to is the other psychiatrist who my own psychi shares an office with. I can't believe I have to wait a week to see her! I don't know why I thought I'd get in right away.
I've had dysthymia since the age of 12 (I'm 40), and it went undiagnosed until about seven years ago when I "went over the edge" with one of my major depressive episodes.
The meds have been amazing (damn that Tom Cruise), and have literally given me life. But they're not perfect, and it's hard to sink back down when you've felt what it's like to be "normal". I'm sure that many of you can relate.
Thanks again, girls.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:52 PM   #7  

Ellis, it might be a good idea to tell the psy's office that you'd like to be called in case of a cancellation. You might get in earlier than next week. Good luck in the meantime!
carla49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #8  

Carla, thank you... that's a great idea... I'll do that!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:49 PM   #9  
gotta lose it!

Ellis! I'm so sorry you're having a tough time. ((hugs!)) I recently found out my dad is on celexa (since May.) Since my mom went into the hospital, my dad gained 40lbs & he went to the dr & that's what he gave him. I came in here to get some info because I know nothing about the meds & I want to help my dad out as much as possible.

Ellis - please let me know if there's anything I can do to help!! And if you insist to sleep all week, at least change the sheets! =)
soon2Bfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #10  

Soon2b, you're killin' me, girl. Thanks for the laugh... I needed that.
And thank you for the hugs.
I do hope that your Dad can find a med that works well for him. I think about you and your Dad often, sweetie.