Support Groups - Week-At-A-Time #2

View Full Version : Week-At-A-Time #2

mscat816
07-04-2005, 10:59 AM
The object of this thread is to take on a challenge related to your weight loss goals for 7 days straight. Choose whatever inspires you - a certain amount of water intake, no sugar, 30 minute walks, etc.

I will award accolades for each day you maintain your goal(s) and 7 day winner awards and pounds down at the end of the week on Sunday. We will begin each challenge on Monday - you can choose a new challenge or repeat any challenge for extra mileage.

We will support each other keeping in mind to stay focussed on the challenges of the day and week related to our weight loss. There are plenty of threads where a lot of time is spent on personal stories, so let's try to keep that to a minimum.

mscat

carla49
07-04-2005, 12:16 PM
Hi mscat,

I haven't started doing my exercise yet today, but weighed in and am down 6 whole pounds in about a week! Amazing what eating properly and exercising can do. (I do realize it will slow down a lot from now on.) My goals for this week: no chocolate or wine, and minimum 30 minutes exercise every day. I'll report before bedtime on my rate of success.
This thread is terrific. Thanks for starting it.

carla

mscat816
07-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Here are the tallies to start out our new week on an "we can do it" beat -
skinny jeans :cp: :cp:
Doss :cp:
carla49 :cp: :cp: :cp:
princess. :cp: :cp:
mscat :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: and 2.5 pounds down! :goodscale:

squiggly :cp: :cp: and 1 pound down! :goodscale

At the end of this week I know we will have many completing 7 days of their challenges.

mscat

mscat816
07-04-2005, 12:50 PM
Go Carla - 6 lbs down! :goodscale

squiggly
07-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Today isn't going to be a successful day for me. I can say I got my 20 minutes of exercise in even though it wasn't on my elliptical. It was walking. I doubt that I'll get my water in. I will do it tomorrow. I promise.

princess.
07-04-2005, 10:59 PM
really hard today, but I did it.

10 minutes on the elliptical
2 listened to tapes
journaled

As I began today, I wondered why I made such a "big" commitment. Having completed the exercise I felt good, physically and emotionally. I felt proud. I did not feel like doing the other things even though I know how important they are to my successfully dropping weight.

Feelings of well-being came over me as I completed each "goal" today. I overeat most often to numb my feelings. The tapes and the journaling don't numb those feelings, instead they help me out with emotions and that is much, much more satisfying than numbing.

My glutes and thighs hurt even though I took Sunday off! A sign that the elliptical is working and that my choice to skip the squat and leg press at Curves is a healthy one.

I went on a binge run today. While on the road, the song "Leaving on a Jet Plane" came on and I saw people at a wake at a funeral home that I passed by. Don't know exactly the mechanics of it, but suddenly the though entered into my head that I was not going to binge - to turn around and go home instead. This is a first for me.

thank you all for bieng here to share these accomplishments with. some people may think "you're just doing what you ought to be doing", but I trust that each of you understand what an accomplishment some of these small things are. :)

carla49
07-04-2005, 11:24 PM
For some reason exercise was hard today, but I gritted my teeth and did my 20 min on the rebounder and just went for a 30 min walk. (The walk was VERY slow - I walk with a friend who only has one speed.) And I actually drove right past a Quizno's, even tho I have $2 off coupons; I didn't succumb to the candy specials at Zeller's (sort of like Target); and I even managed to drive past a Dairy Queen which would have been sooo good in the heat. So far I'm managing to just eat tons of fruit instead of junk. Yes, lots of calories, but healthy too.

Day one a success!

Carla :cb:

mscat816
07-05-2005, 10:18 AM
Okay ladies - I see many of you have posted your goals for the week and already reported successes! I did great last week with my WW points - stayed under everyday although I didn't even come close on the Holiday :-(. What the heck - it was a holiday! The water was good although a couple of days I waited til the last hour to get it in. So I am going to continue to work on that daily. What I really struggled with was exercising so I my challenge this week is to exercise everyday.

My goal is to work up to at least 30 minutes of cardio by the end of the week - but my challenge is to move something, somehow for 7 days. I did 40 minutes on the :tread: Monday a.m. :cb: and this morning managed a 15 minute workout. :cb:

Have a great day.

mscat816
07-05-2005, 10:30 AM
Make each challenge pay. Challenge can make you stop, or it can make you unstoppable. It all depends on how you respond. Challenge can compel you to make valuable improvements that you never would have attempted otherwise. Challenge can open your eyes to a whole new level of possibilities.

When the challenges come, gladly accept the energy that they have to give you. Greet each challenge with the expectation that it will make you stronger, more capable, more experienced, more effective. Then jump right in and get to work on that challenge. The more quickly and enthusiastically you get started, the more real value you'll be able to gain.

Challenge will give you the opportunity to discover how very much you can accomplish. And knowing how much you can accomplish sets you up to accomplish even more. When there is a challenge in your life, it's only a matter of time and effort before that challenge can be transformed into a real and lasting treasure. Take the time, put forth the effort, and you'll surely make each challenge pay.

-- Ralph Marston http://www.greatday.com/motivate/

The challenges you met yesterday have truly been inspirational to us all!
carla :cp:
30 minutes of movement is 30 minutes of movement - experts say it's not how fast you walk or jog but how long you do it! We also acknowledge your strength in resisting the goodies and eating the fruit instead.
princess. :cp:
We understand - your accomplishments are HUGE! We are touched by your sharing. Thank you!
squiggly :cp:
What you didn't do doesn't matter - what you accomplish does. It was outstanding that you got that walk in - sometimes it is tough to get in our chosen exercise - Substituting it with something rather than doing nothing at all is a win - You are doing great!

mscat - All we have is right now. Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week!

haleys
07-05-2005, 10:48 AM
This sounds great! I know it's Tuesday, but mind if I join in??

mscat816
07-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Welcome Haleys - The best day to start is today! We would love to have you be a part of our fantastic group.

mscat

haleys
07-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Yay, thank you! My challenge is to exercise for an hour on the elliptical every day this week, including the weekend. I'll post my accomplishment every day when I come home from the gym. I also want to strength train at least 4 days this week, alternating days between upper body and lower body machines.

carla49
07-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Another day down! And five to go.... No chocs, no wine, and 35 minutes riding my bike! Hmmmm. What shall I put on the exercise menu for tomorrow?

mamamoore4
07-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Okay, this may just be the place for me. Can I join, it's Wednesday?
My name is Crystal, almost 28 years, stay at home mom of 4 kids. Alisa 6 1/2, Ally 4, Andrew 2 1/2 and Allison is 5 months. I live in Texas where I homeschool and have been married almost 10 years.
I love the thought of achieving a certain goal each week. That could really help.
I have about 60 pounds to lose, more if it wants to go away.
I'm just trying to start back so for the rest of this week I will ride my bike for some time. Any time is longer than not at all, right?

mscat816
07-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Morning all! We had such a great day yesterday - here's to everyone having a success to share by the end of the day :cheers:

Welcome mamamoore4 - please join us - the middle of the week is fine because the best time to start anything is right now!
YAY! Carla! :cp: That is 2 days in a row this week!
And me too - :cp: 2nd day in a row!

Have a great day everyone.

mscat

princess.
07-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Tuesday I walked for an hour.
listened to my tapes twice.

today, so far, I've been to Curves. Now, onto the tapes and journaling....

haleys
07-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Well, I didn't get to the gym yesterday, but today I did an hour on the elliptical and day one of my strength training (upper body) this week. My arms feel like they're about to fall off, but I'm so glad I went!

carla49
07-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Not an impressive day, but I got in a 30 min walk tonight and stayed away from choc and wine. Gotta get back on that bike tomorrow - if my tuchus can take it!

squiggly
07-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I drank my water and did 25 minutes on my elliptical. I surpassed my exercise goal. Yeah!

mscat816
07-07-2005, 11:24 AM
We are so incredible - Just looking at all the challenges met on Wednesday is evidence that we are capable of anything we set our minds out to do.

squiggly :cp:
haleys :cp:
and me :cp:

If you haven't completed your challenge for the day there is plenty of time. I didn't get to bed until 2:00 a.m. last night so getting up at 6:45 was hard. At first I thought, "I will have to exercise later when I get home." But I know that putting it off is a recipe for not getting to it. I remembered my own slogan "all we have is right now" and thought about how many of you are fulfilling your commitments daily to meet your challenges and post. So I did 20 minutes on the treadmill. Thank you for your sharing and inspiration.

mscat - "All we have is right now. Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not promised, and Someday is not a day of the week."

carla49
07-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Thanks, mscat. I'm glad the inspiration works both ways!

Like you, I know (but sometimes "forget") that it's really best not to put off exercise for later. A few tricks from my days as a runner: put on your exercise outfit whether you're planning to start right now or not, you'll be more likely to seize the opportunity when it appears; even if you're not in the mood, start anyway with the understanding you'll quit after 10 minutes if you still don't want to continue - most of the time, the endorphins have clicked in by then.

Today the weather is wonderful: warm and clear and dry with a nice breeze. And I took advantage of it to go for a nice bike ride, 68 minutes in all. Only my second time this summer, and my tush hurts a little less than last time. Now I have to keep it up so I don't lose that "conditioning"! :lol:

C

princess.
07-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Tuesday the 5th: 12 minutes on the Elliptical; journaled + listened to tapes twice
Wednesday the 6th: Curves; journaled + listened to tapes twice
Thursday the 7th: sustained, continuous heavy housework; journaled + tapes twice

I've really gotten myself overtired these last few days (hence the absence of my posting). Today while preparing supper I felt as though I would faint (but I did not). I have diabetes and I need to keep close tabs when my activity level changes drastically (I do see my doc regularly -- I don't want anyone to worry.)

I'm thinking that my body needs two days off per week (Sunday and Wednesday or Thursday) in order for my muscles to recover properly. I had also doubled my workout at Curves, and now I'm thinking that was not the smartest move that I've ever made. Friday I'll be back at Curves, this time I'll stick to thier program....

carla49
07-07-2005, 10:47 PM
Princess - maybe on the "off" days you could opt for more gentle activity, like a short leisurely walk or bike ride? Or if you have access to water, a deliciously slow breaststroke swim?

Mscat, I already posted my exercise goal, and since it's bedtime I can safely say I met my no sweets/no wine goal as well. Wondering how long I can keep this up...

mscat816
07-07-2005, 11:09 PM
princess. - I support Carla's advice. Our goal here is to encourage everyone to help themselves be consistent in healthy ways. You are the best judge of what is healthy for you. Feel free to adjust your goals accordingly - perhaps commit to 4 of 7 days on the eliptical or workout at curves (or any combination thereof). I agree with Carla that you can always substitute your regular workout with some other type of movement - a walk, yoga or isometrics. The object is to be consistent for a week whether that consistency means 7 days of the same thing or a minimum of x amount of days of more than one choice. Be committed and healthy at the same time.

Carla - you are generous and supportive in your sharing with us. How lucky we are to have you as a part of our group. :grouphug: How long can you keep this up? I have no doubt that you will last the rest of the week and beyond!

Have a great night everyone.

mscat

haleys
07-08-2005, 12:05 AM
I just got back from my hour on the elliptical and day 2 of my strength training (lower body). Now, not only do my arms feel like they're going to fall off, my legs do too!

mscat816
07-08-2005, 08:43 AM
It's Friday ladies and we have 3 more days left in the week to make an impact on our lives and the lives of others in our group.

Thursday accolades go to:
and me too! :cp:

Everyone have a fantastic Friday and let's all be members of the DIN DIN DIN
and the DIA Club -
(Do it Now, Do it Now, Do it Now and Do It Anyway)

mscat
All that we have is right now.
Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not promised, and someday is not a day of the week!

haleys
07-08-2005, 10:26 AM
mscat, you forgot me! I finished my Thursday exercise and strength training...

squiggly
07-08-2005, 03:21 PM
I lost 1 pound from last week. I updated my ticker to show the pound lost last week and the pound lost this week. I also lost 3 inches. The exercise is paying off.

princess.
07-08-2005, 08:12 PM
I did Curves, I journaled and I did my tapes.

Thank you ladies for your feedback. I feel as though I'm bieng "soft" on myself, so I appreciate having your insights.

I have a victory that I would like to celebrate with you. After Curves I went to WalMart and was hungry by the time I was done shopping. Instead of anything else, I bought a diet coke on the way out and had my lunch when I got home. This is a major shift in my thought patterns. My customary way of thinking is, I've exercised and I'm hungry I'll grab (then I'd rationalize something that I would regret later).

haleys
07-08-2005, 08:22 PM
3rd day of an hour on the elliptical and 3rd day of strength training (upper body).

mscat816
07-08-2005, 11:24 PM
haleys - Kudos to you! :cp: I apologize :sorry: did not mean to miss you for yesterday!

squiggly - anytime someone has a loss - we all have reason to celebrate! :woo:

princess - we celebrate with you on taking action to "be" healthy rather than just thinking and wanting to be healthly. :woo: your victory is ours as well - you fortify us all in our stand to "be" who we are - powerful and committed.

I will be posting early Saturday a.m. the kudos for Friday goals met. So get them in asap. So far we know haleys, princess., will receive awards - squiggly? Have a great evening.

mscat
All that we have is right now.
Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not promised, and someday is not a day of the week!

carla49
07-08-2005, 11:27 PM
Another bike ride today, so I'm still meeting my exercise goal. And yet another day of no wine or chocs!!! (Time to go shine my halo a little...)

Shelley, congrats on the lost pounds, and even more, those 3 inches gone forever!

Princess, I know hard your victory was. I was at Costco a few days ago, starving, and didn't touch a single sample.

And now to bed.
Carla

mscat816
07-09-2005, 09:27 AM
Friday was especially challenging - I stayed up way too late the night before and struggled in the morning making 2 appointments on time. The day was busy from that point on up until we went to dinner at 9 p.m. as a family (my daughter is going to her dad's for the summer). The DIN DIN DIN (Do it Now) opportunity had passed several times. We got home at 10:30 and I was full with Smokey Bones 2 entrees.

However I thought about all of you and got inspired. I still had time to complete my goal for Friday and make it happen in spite of all my "reasons" and "buts." So I switched to the DIA mode (Do It Anyway) and got on the treadmill for 15 plus minutes!

Thank you for your example and support - You have made a difference in my life and who I am. :grouphug:

mscat

deleted
07-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Mscat816, can I jump in here? Since it's Saturday already, my Challenge will be for the next nine days, okay? My weight was down to 189, had lost 45 pounds in the last year (a ways to go yet, though), but after vacationing for almost three weeks and overeating this past week after returning home, I am up six pounds! :o My Challenge: GIVING UP a big glass of wine with dinner, and I will exercise in some fashion every day! I have already done a two-mile walk today, and will do water aerobics moves in the YMCA pool for at least an hour this afternoon. So .... NO WINE .... SOME exercise every day through Monday, July 18. (I have the Jump-start June Bug Challenge going, in case anyone wants to "chat" ....)

Thank you for starting this Challenge, mscat816. Just what I need ... I've been a little bit of a disaster this past week! :dizzy: Must get back on track. (And I love the saying in your signature .... so true!)

mscat816
07-09-2005, 07:10 PM
It's a great day - just today and Sunday to finish our week. Darn we are :strong:

Friday's challenges were met by
haleys :cp:
and me :cp:

mammamoore4, skinnyjeans, Doss, where are you? Let us know how you're doing and if we can support you.

mscat

mscat816
07-09-2005, 07:16 PM
Bonniebelle - you're welcome to join us anytime, no better time than today! Congratulations on completing your first day with us. We are with you whenever you need our support. Thank you for being a part of our group!
:grouphug:
mscat

carla49
07-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Today I was feeling a little low, and was almost resigned to misssing my activity goal. But at about 9:30, I suddenly decided to try out my new WATP tapes, and ended up doing 2 for a total of 48 min! And then a friend called wanting to go for a walk, which added another hour+. and I met my other goals too. Six days down, one to go before a new goal.

Carla

deleted
07-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Okay, I'm through my first day of Challenge ... NO WINE tonight, and I both walked and worked out in the pool today! YAY! It was so hard to pass up the wine as I made a Spicy Shrimp & Spaghetti, and my husband and nephew were really enjoying their Pinot Grigio with it, but I managed to get by with Diet Coke! :-)

All you ladies .... you're doing great... Keep up your good work! :-) I'm really happy to walk this walk with all of you!

squiggly
07-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Ok, this week isn't off to a very good start. I was so busy yesterday that I didn't get a chance to get my exercise in and my water was non existent. Here are my goals for this week:

60 oz water, 20 minutes of exercise, I want to lose 2 pounds this week. I will be doing a huge happy dance if I lose three but will take two.
I'm happy for all who are meeting their goals. I will concentrate more on meeting mine.

deleted
07-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Ladies, I have decided that I will remove the "no wine" thing from my Challenge. I'm going to stick with the exercise-every-day portion, through the coming week but I've decided the "no wine" rule is not necessary. I lost 45 lbs. having wine with dinner, and I really enjoy it, so I'm just going to count those calories as part of my daily total, and not worry about it. But the exercise rule remains in effect ............ :p Good luck with your goals this week, Squiggly, and everyone else! :cheer:

carla49
07-10-2005, 01:17 PM
So far I'm pretty pleased with my results: down 9 pounds since I first started! (I know some of that is water weight, but still...) Since I'm going to be out of town for the next two weeks, I'll try to make realistic goals. I want to maintain my weight and stay away from hi-fat and hi-sugar goodies.

Wish me luck! And good luck to all of you too.

Carla

mscat816
07-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Congrats to those who met their Saturday Challenges!

Bonniebelle :cp: Good choice about the wine - a little wine everyday is good for the heart!
and me, too! :cp:
squiggly - don't worry about yesterday - you were on the tote board this week and you had a loss!

Can't wait to hear how everyone did this last day and who else had lbs. losses tonight so I can post your accolades in the a.m. Don't forget to post your new challenges for next week.

We are awesome!

mscat

princess.
07-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Saturday: did Curves :strong: and journaled. :write: did not listen to tapes :halfempty and struggled with overeatting all day!

Sunday: Scheduled Day Off and Our 23rd Wedding Anniversary! :cheers:
We attended an outdoor Mass and a Fine Arts Festival where there were plenty of food vendors. Ate out twice. Did "ok". Dropped a total of 3 pounds this week. :goodscale

New Goals: On Vacation :cool: this week (the putter around the house kind).
:spin: Exercise 5 days (yoga, Curves, ellipitical...)
:spin: Journal daily
:spin: Listen to tapes twice a day!
:spin: Post a list around the house of things that I am willing to do instead of binging.

Words for my week: moderation and gentleness....
:bravo: to all of us, each and every one!

carla49
07-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Today I met exactly none of my goals. I did no deliberate exercise, and had wine and dessert at the bbq. But in reality it was not a blowout at all, and I'm quite satisfied on the food level. And I did a lot of running in and out and back and forth, putting up and taking down tables etc.. All in high heat and humidity.

As I said in an earlier post, for the next week my goal is to not gain, and to avoid hi-fat and hi-sugar goodies.

Good luck all,
C

haleys
07-10-2005, 11:27 PM
I could only do 35 minutes of the elliptical today because I was having bad chest pains. I also ordered a fitness dvd and can't wait to do it!

squiggly
07-11-2005, 02:47 AM
I did 20 minutes on my elliptical but no water. I will have to remedy that one.

deleted
07-11-2005, 09:05 AM
Good morning, girls! :flow2: Hope you have all had a fun weekend .... No award for me for yesterday as I never got to the pool to work out BUT ...

I have already walked two miles this morning in the neighborhood, and will work myself out in the pool this afternoon. I ate WAY, WAY too much this weekend, but am still a pound down from a week ago when I arrived home from vacation so I'm doing okay!:p If I can manage to control my voracious appetite for a few days, I'm sure I'll drop another couple of re-gained pounds this week!

Good luck to all of you on meeting YOUR Challenges! :grouphug:

mscat816
07-11-2005, 11:14 AM
DON'T POST HERE - GO TO WEEK AT A TIME #3