Exercise! - Cool Runners # 13 -- July 4 - 10

View Full Version : Cool Runners # 13 -- July 4 - 10

Ilene
07-04-2005, 08:44 AM
:) .... Happy 4th to our American Friends!!

Who's running today and training for what this week...

Moi, no running today but a good leg workout!

:coach: Next !!

4rabbit
07-05-2005, 04:36 AM
yesterday did 2.6 km, today 5 km. My R knee hurts after a couple of minutes so i have to run-walk-run-walk. I hope this gets over soon but I am cutting back on kms for now.

Only Me
07-05-2005, 07:36 AM
Yesterday, day off for me. This morning I had to force myself out of bed to do my 6k tempo run. I have a sore throat/cold so I didn't want to get up. But the part of my brain that remembered that 1) a short run would improve my cold symptoms temporarily and 2) I'd feel guilty by 9am if I didn't get out there, managed to win over control of my body, so I got up and out the door.

Rabbit, be careful with your knee. Take days off or do some other sort of cardio instead if it's bothering you.

Sweater Girl
07-05-2005, 08:47 AM
I ran on Canada day and cut 3 minutes off of my fastest 10K. I probably could have done it sub 65, BUT it was boiling hot and humid on Friday morning. Still a friend of mine said I finished really strong so that made me feel good.

I am doing the Boilermaker 15K this weekend so that should be fun! I have to get some greenbacks before I leave, I am looking forward to it!

I have a tempo 4K tomorrow. Tonight a regular 6K and Thursday a 4K steady. I had a rest and Ice day yesterday!

Cheers!

Ali

MrsDawsondn
07-05-2005, 10:52 AM
I walked 2.0 miles today after not doing anything for 2 weeks! Wow But I started out yesterday getting my butt back on the ball and going on.

AnneWonders
07-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Good for you MrsD! Must be something going around--I could have written your post today myself.

Ali, congrats on your 10K. Sounds like you did a fabulous job, especially given the weather.

Only, I'm impressed with your fortitude. Did you feel better? Can't stand to run when I'm sick myself. Fortunately I don't get sick very often, although I'm guessing that will change when my little germ incubator finally arrives!

rabbit, take care of your knee!

Hi Ilene. Are you running today?

Anne

Ilene
07-05-2005, 03:35 PM
Hi Anne :wave: How ya doin' sweet mommy-to-be? Didn't run today but had an awesome chest, shoulder, and tricep workout :D... I'd like to run though but it's so dang hot and humid. BUT I may go to the gym and hop on the :tread: for a half hour or so...

YP1
07-05-2005, 04:00 PM
It's my first 5k tomorrow evening, and I'm starting to worry. I know I can run it, but I'm just worried that something will go wrong.

Still, even if I only run half of it I will have run far further than I was able to last year, and there's no reason why I can't run it all, I've run 10k before (once, but I still ran it, and 7 - 8k a couple of times).

I've not run much in the past 10 days, 1 - 1.5k a couple of times, hopefully my legs will be nice and fresh tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

4rabbit
07-06-2005, 05:18 AM
Hi cool runners,

Anne - how much longer untill you are a mummy ?
Mrs D - good for you to be beack on track !
Only me, Anne - thanks for the knee support.

The R knee is bothering so I'm cutting back to more walking and less running. I managed to get in 3 kms today and UBW.

have a great day
rabbit

MrsDawsondn
07-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the support ladies. I have been doing some light lifting and lately all of my body parts feel about a ton heavier LOL But I am slowly working back up to running. Because i was so sore this morning I just did a brisk 2 mile walk. I think I want to get my stamina back up and then start running again next week but for this week I want to take it slow and easy.

As far as my slump I really can't even explain that one it was a deep situation and I now see how horrible I feel when I don't exercise. I never really noticed the difference before like I do now. I feel tons better when I stay active, as opposed to beating myself up then feeling sorry for myself and not exercising at all. This truly an eye opening experience. Now I just have to get past the road blocks of my mind and get this thing together and get this weight off.

BTW Ilene, I know your an avid weightlifter. Is it normal to feel alot heavier after lifting weights when everything is sore? I've been doing lunges, double arm french presses and sidebends all with 10 lb weights and I feel heavier instead of lighter and LORD HAVE MERCY everything is sore. I'll take this to the ladies who lift thread but I though you might be able to give me some advice on that.

Ilene
07-06-2005, 10:07 AM
MrsD -- It's absolutely norman to feel heavier after a good workout because your muscles are retaining water and healing from the weight training... I NEVER weigh myself after a good leg workout, even the day after legs I may not weigh-in because I know the scale will be higher and that plays such a dang mind game on me... drink plenty of water and the heaviness will go away, also stretchin helps too...

I'm off to do some back/biceps/abs... I also want to do some :tread: TTFN...

YP1
07-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Yes! I did my first 5k race in 28 minutes 37 seconds. I've never broken through 30 minutes before (or even 31) so I'm absolutely ecstatic and already planning my first 10k!

MrsDawsondn
07-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Congratulations YP1 :dance::dance::flame::dancer: woohoo you go!!! that is awesome. Wow a 28 minute 5 k is like a 9:33 minute mile wow that's fantastic!!! Training pays off doesn't it?

Ilene thank you so much for comfirming that for me, I was really getting worried and one day I actually did step on the scale a little after a workout and the scale registered like 3 or 4 lb weight gain. I got frustrated and walked away but I was determined not to give up. I drink TONS of water a day so I know that has something to do with it also. Thanks for the excellent info on that your a peach ;)

Quick update on my lunch I did a 30 minute ride on the fitness centers bicycle and I am feeling great!

Ilene
07-06-2005, 06:28 PM
:high: Congrats YP1!! That's a great accomplishment...

4rabbit
07-07-2005, 05:01 AM
Congratulations YP1!

Today ran 3.5 kms on the treadmill and did 30 mins basic power yoga

ellenuw
07-07-2005, 07:26 AM
Excellent run YP1!! YAH!!

I am stickingto my ttraining schedule - 10 miles this Sat

skinnyjeans
07-07-2005, 10:11 AM
Congrats YP1!

MrsD-Keep up the good work!

Wow this week has flown by. I ran about 10k on Saturday. The weather here was so nice and I felt like I could go forever. It was a great run. Unfortunately I followed it up with some no so great eating so when I ran yesterday I felt like a brick.

SJ

YP1
07-07-2005, 02:14 PM
10k on 18th September... Doable?

I have run 10k on the treadmill once before, and last night felt like I could probably have gone further, so I don't think it's impossible. But it's still a little daunting!

skinnyjeans
07-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Definitely doable. That is an increase of about .5k per week in distance right?

YP1
07-07-2005, 04:28 PM
Yes. And the deed is done. I've signed up. Fingers crossed!

LeanneM83
07-07-2005, 10:05 PM
HEy everyone

I am still here....and RUNNING...yay! I am bound and determined to rock this program and meet my goal....EVEN TRAIN WHILE I AM ON VACATION- now that is some dedication...lol....Yesterday hubby and I ran together and it was an AWESOME run...he was SOOO impressed by how much better I have gotten in such a short amount of time...nice ego boost for me!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Leanne :lol:

MrsDawsondn
07-07-2005, 11:54 PM
just got done doing a 20 minute walk in place at home going to bed so I can run in the morning. I'm going to give it a try. I'm gonna try back running slowly.

4rabbit
07-08-2005, 03:46 AM
Go for it mrs D!
I won't be posting for a while because I am on holiday

Only Me
07-08-2005, 07:55 AM
After a painful slow 9k run on Wednesday thanks to the early arrival of my period, I could not make myself get out of bed on Thursday. But I was up and out this morning by 6:15, ran a great 8k. It was supposed to be a steady race pace run, but ended up being more like a fast fartlek. I was experimenting with running faster by pushing off the ground harder rather than moving my legs faster (easier to explain than do). It seemed to take less effort to go faster from a heartrate/breathing point of view, but my legs got tired sooner and I'd stop doing it if I wasn't thinking about it all the time. So I'd speed up, keep it for a while, then start watching the ducks, squirrels, etc and slow down, realize what I'd done and speed back up, repeat for 8km.

Ali, good luck with the boilermaker this weekend. I'm not sure I like the name of that race.

Anne, I hope everything's going well with you. You must be getting near the final stretch of your pregnancy. I did feel better at least while I was running on Tuesday. Wednesday am was another story altogether.

YP1 congratulations on an excellent 5k time. A 10k in September sounds perfect.

Ellen, in a few months time you'll look back fondly on 10 mile long runs as a nice, resonable distance. Of course, that will be while you're on mile 14 of a 15+ mile long run.

skinnyjeans, I do the same thing--have a great day or two running, then sabotage my next run with crappy food.

Leanne, maybe you just needed the push of a training program to improve your speed. Sounds like it's going well.

MrsDawsondn, good luck getting back out there!

Rabbit, have a great holiday.

MrsDawsondn
07-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Only me thanks for the encouragement and you did excellent to get up out of the bed and go for a brisk run even with tom around. Way to go, I think I've gotten distracted from speed goals by getting caught up in my surroundings too but that just makes the run all the more interesting LOL.

4rabbit have a wonderful time on vacation!! Remember to run ;)

leanneM83 it sounds like you are making great strides that's great. You are really having fun with it too and that's what counts.

YP! congrats we are routing your on all the way!! Go YP1!!
:coach::cheer::cheer:

skinnyjeans thanks for the vote of confidence and that's great that you ran the 10KM shoot you are doing great! I know the feeling with the overeating and running with it all on ya :fr: LOL

Ellenwu that's great to read that your sticking to your schedule you go girl!! Your such an inspiration :cp:

hello all i did it! i finally got out there and ran and for the dumbest reason I keep forgetting how much EASIER it is to run than to walk :doh: LOL. I'm feeling good today amd I'm working out swell. Thanks for the encouragement guys!****update I just got back from lunch running on the treadmill for 25 minutes I ran 1.89 miles at 4.5(that's the highest the treadmill goes :dunno:) and I burned 401 calories. I always wanted to know how many calories I burned when running and this give me a basic Idea.

YP1
07-08-2005, 01:24 PM
The 10k is definitely on. This morning I jogged 6k at a fairly gentle speed (that I would have considered really fast 2 months ago, by the way!), and I'm feeling more and more confident. I have done 10k once before while preparing for the 5k race, and 6 - 8k a couple of other times so I guess I'm not too far off, I just want to make sure I can do more than 5k more consistently and (hopefully) get a little faster.

Ilene
07-08-2005, 02:15 PM
YP1 -- Definitely do the 10k... I did one in April. I thought I was going to do really crappy but when the adrenaline is flowing you run much faster than when you are training. Everyone had warned me of this phenomenon too, and it IS very true...

Only Me -- I have a very hard time going faster and slower when I'm running... I have no problems when I'm on a dreadmill I can get up to 7kph for a minute or two, but outside I dunno I have a problem... I guess I'll have to work on that and do more ''fartleks'' :lol: .... see I can't say it without snikering!!

Yesterday I ran 9-10k, I'm not sure I didn't measure. Took me forever though 1h08 and I kept walking at every 10 min interval.... I know I need a running partner, because when I run with this girl, we never stop and I never even feel like slowing down....It's all head game!! :

ellenuw
07-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Y'all are doing great. I think these 4-day weeks are the toughest. YP1, ou will do greaton the 10K. Mrs D -you keep punching that clock and you will make your goals. I know I just feel great and a real sense of accomplishment with running- keep at it, ladies.

Just got back from my 10 miles - finished in 2:19:29. I am pretty consistent and stil hope to finishe the marathon in 6 hours - it will be close.

LeanneM83
07-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Hey Everyone

Today I ran 10km, and I did it in either 59 or 60 minutes (my watch is a little odd- hahaha) I am SOOOO happy, the run went GREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAT!

Thanks to everyone, yes I am actually ENJOYING this training program!

Keep up the great work!!

Leanne

Only Me
07-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Slow and easy 6k for me this morning, didn't want to be sore tomorrow for my long run.

Leanne, I think you need to change your Oct. race goal then to one that will provide a bit of a challenge!

YP1
07-09-2005, 06:18 PM
I bought new trainers today so I'm looking forward to seeing how they go tomorrow. The old ones have started rubbing my toes recently so I figure it's time for some new ones.

MrsDawsondn
07-09-2005, 06:39 PM
Okay guess what i went to a very popular park here in cincinnati called eden park and I ran 3 miles up and down a very steep hill!!! After I got done I just began to praise the Lord!!!! I can't believe I did it! And in 32 minutes at that :O , and guess what else I've lost 5 lbs this week :dance: woohooo I'm back down to 253.6!

ellenuw
07-09-2005, 07:04 PM
Wow Mrs D - that is amazing. And I love your siggy - attitudes are contagious. You rock, woman :cp: :cheer:

Ilene
07-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Yay Mrs D !! You rock girl!! :dance: