Support Groups - Back to Basics - July

View Full Version : Back to Basics - July

jollygirl
07-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Hello all. Half way through the year already. Where are we at? How are we doing? What goals have we accomplished and where do we want to go???

Everybody and anybody is welcome to join in.

Red, I do like the company I am at, but you are right. If I don't getthis position, I will look and see what is available. Unfortunately, that takes time, as these positions don't open up all the time. Growth is slow due to budgets. But, I will keep working on improving my skills until I find the right position, if I don't get a shot at it here.

It still sucks though :(

I did run today, finally. Did the two mile route, and still managed to do 9 blocks jogging and 1 block walking. Better go now though, as my personal trainer is whining, growling, and basically indicating she is wasting away to nothingness.

Have a good day all.

jollygirl
07-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Wow. Nobody here at all. I will try keeping this current for a few days, but if nobody joins me . . .

Exercise: 1/2 m walk, 2m - jog 9 blocks, walk 1
Breakfast: juice, cereal, milk
snack: light pringles, 2 cookies
lunch: chicken soup, carrots, apple, yogurt
snack: v8
supper: chicken pasta salad, 2 sf fudgesicles.

Hope everyone had a great day.

redballoon
07-02-2005, 03:49 AM
I am here, jolly, just put the link on the old thread. Some people always get lost.
It sounds like you're doing better. Yes, I think your present work is dragging you down. Well, I hope you could find something that would make you get the rewards you no doubt deserve! Hang in there.

jollygirl
07-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Well, I work this weekend, and the 4th, at my part time job. I haven't gotten as much done today as I wanted to. I did not get to the barn, and did not get a weight workout in at the gym. My apartment is clean though, and I did get some cardio. Better than nothing, I suppose. Maybe if it is dead, they will let me go early enough I can go get a ride in.

I am waiting for a phone call from my friend in Iraq. I hope I don't miss her.

Have a good one all.

redballoon
07-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Heh, jolly, hope you got a ride in. If your apartment is clean, you're way ahead of me! As for working over the holiday weekend, if it's any consolence to you, I do too, of course. No holidays here and, being at a newspaper, I don't even get the Japanese ones. Still, hope you can see some fireworks!

Roxymom
07-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Good Evening!

I've had a really busy weekend with family but thought I would check in. Today was not a good day. I got out-voted on lunch and we went to a chinese restaurant. Then DH & I went to see War of the Worlds and he had to have popcorn. I couldn't resist. We don't get to the movies very often so it was a real treat. Also got no exercise in. Ugh!

Hope you ladies don't have to work too hard on the holiday and can enjoy yourself a little. I plan on watching some fireworks, relaxing and having a great time! Tuesday I will really have to be a good girl!

I set a mini goal for July - loosing at least 5 pounds.

jollygirl
07-03-2005, 08:19 AM
Good morning all. Did not get a ride in yesterday. I got off of work, then spent the evening with my 3 favorite men: Ben, Jerry, and Vin! (a pint of B&J's NewYork Super Fudge Chunk, and the movie "The Pacifier") It was a good evening.

I did get a run in this morning, and even increased the jogging blocks. It was a good morning. Iam off to ride soon, then back to work.

Have a great day all!

redballoon
07-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I need new motivation! I am sick of the same old sludge drag. I was just thinking this yesterday as I was finishing up a good day with a trip to the convenience store to get something sweet I really didn't even want. It was okay, like, I was good the rest of the day, rode, went to the gym... but the thing is I am wanting to feel like I can do it. I haven't "done it" in so long that I have lost all vision. I lose a few kilos here and there but nothing where it's really noticeable and then I put it back on. Where are my dreams and how can I get them back?

Jolly -- I hope you're reading back on what you eat during the week. I think, and I'm saying this to myself of course too, we tend to always think, "oh, well, tomorrow's a new day," BUT we can't forget that the calories we pack in on a "bad day" stay with us and we are paying for them. I pig out for a few days, then am great for a few days and start screaming, "oh, why oh why haven't I lost weight...." Really, I hate, when I'm keeping a food journal, to look back on my indulgences, but I think it's the only way to get a handle on things.

jollygirl
07-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Red, I can honestly say "why oh why haven't I lost weight" has never been one of my things. I know why I don't lose. I eat more than I burn. When I eat less than I burn, the weight comes off. I do keep a food journal, and I am honest about it. There are just times when the self medication thing comes into play. Right now is one of them. As I try to figure out where I need tobe. I know it doesn't solve anything. I know it isn't good for me - I have had acid reflux the past several nights due to high stress and overeating. But . . . right now that is just where it is at. I don't have enough emotional energy left right now to feel bad about that too. I am just trying to find some light at the end of the tunnel.

I hope everyone has a great day. I hope you find your new motivation, Red. Good luck with your new goal, Roxy. Everyone else, hope you are enjoying the long weekend.

redballoon
07-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Ok, jolly, that's good that you are not doing the "why, oh why thing." I certainly do. I know you said you would write things down and yes, you sound very honest! :lol: I hear you on the emotional eating. I do it a lot too. Other times, it's simply lack of planning and not caring and habit. In fact, I think that's the most of it... not caring. I have, in a way, come to a good place in the my life, not really getting all bummed out about the weight, but not happy with it either, just kind of knowing who's responsibility is is to get it off or leave it on. So, it is more of an "in-control" feeling than before when I used to really binge eat.

Yes, the motivation thing is not there. I am thinking maybe I need to think "fun" again, think do something different, think possibility, think out of the rut that surrounds me...walls are high!!

I hate to hear you are so in the dark now, jolly. If it helps any, know that I am in a similar situation. I have no one in my life and my work situation is the pits, people around me are dejected, given up. It is a very poisoned atmosphere. I walked home tonight thinking how horrible it is but I told myself I was determined to keep my thoughts away from dark thought. I told myself to ask, "What CAN I do now, what can I do to improve things, anything?" and that is going to be my question and I am going to answer it with action in little ways. Maybe you can try the same.

jollygirl
07-04-2005, 03:22 PM
I guess right now I am trying to really live in the moment. Instead of stressing out about "what ifs" or "couldawouldashoulda's" I am trying to focus on where i am right now, making the most of it, and assessing the situation.

Trying to . . . That doesn't mean it isn't still dark. But, one day at a time, right?

Take care all.

Apple Blossom
07-04-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi, I'm still around. :) Happy forth. We're not doing anything special. The kids still had swim lessons today so we spent some time at the pool. I swam 4 laps. It's not easy, but not as hard as last year. We will probably go see the town fireworks, fo rthe the first time since we lived here. We usually go to visit my sister in law. She has an awesome view of all the bay area fireworks, if it's not foggy. But they're in Europe this year.

Weight loss wise I am doing nothing zilch zero. But I'm not feeling too bad about it, so thats good. I am still thinking about a bikini, and if I do get one maybe it will keep me in line. I think, in the big picture, my weight isn't all that important, but it's a little detail that could use some fine tuning. Just like my craving for creative outlets, intelligent conversation at a higher level than an 8 year old, better house cleaning skills, the list goes on. Life would be better if I could loose weight, but I'm OK with it today. :D

redballoon
07-05-2005, 03:05 AM
Hi people. I'm just sitting here contemplating whether I go to the gym or take it easy. I rode this morning and in the heat here it really knocks me out. Aspirin has not really taken care of the headache yet...

Apple -- glad to see you're still with us. Too bad about not getting the great view of the fireworks. I like your attitude with the weight. I would probably be the same if I weren't at a riding club where the owner hates fat and I am the biggest person there. Oh well, it does look awful, but...I do want to lose just for the horse's sake, make it easier on her. Yeah, go for the bikini, or a tankini. They look like a great alternative.

jolly -- yes, sounds like "living in the moment" is good for you now. Take those little steps, assess and change little things in your days. You are so busy sounding always that I suppose it's hard. Do hope you feel better.

Raven, Derry, where are you? Anyone else I missed, come on in and chat!

jollygirl
07-05-2005, 07:25 AM
Morning all. Did not do much for the 4th. Because of the rain, I didn't get the bike ride in I wanted for my exercise. Because of my mood, I left the horse alone.

I did get out for a run this morning, but had to cut it short. Several days of bad eating had taken their toll. Here's to a better day.

Have a wonderful day all.

Roxymom
07-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Good Mornin'! Seems like forever since I check in. Didn't have the computer on much due to very bad storms most of Sunday. Even had tornado warnings! Had a very busy weekend and was not very good in choosing the right foods and didn't get much exercise in. But I got on the scale and made it through without gaining! I stayed the same so I feel a little better.

Today, I'm not going to get my noon walk in. I'm going home to see DS one last time before he heads home. I will go to the gym after works though. Also back to watching what I eat and writing it down.

Have a great day!

jollygirl
07-05-2005, 08:54 PM
Hey all. Just checking in. Not much new to report. Did a tad bit better on the food today. Have to rein it in, and pump up the exercise again. No excuses.

Where's Chachee with Bat when you need her?

Have a good one all.

jollygirl
07-06-2005, 03:19 PM
OK. this is getting to be a tad lonely here. Where is everyone???? I hate talking to myself all the time. I feel like Sybil.

Hope to hear from everyone soon.

redballoon
07-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Well, jolly, if you were Sybil, you wouldn't mind the quiet! You'd always have company. :lol: Yes, it has been quiet in here. Then again, we don't have many people anymore. I don't write much period and I have the challenge post to do and a couple others. Anyhow, yesterday was okay but I have a cold and yesterday felt felt bad. Went to the gym but could only manage a bit on the bike. Sneezing, nose running all day, feverish. Up early today. Feel a little better I think. Am trying to keep things under control, no bingeing, no "anything goes." I did eat healthily though and even forced myself to make a salad. Often I buy the veggies and they go bad.

Good luck all!

Apple Blossom
07-07-2005, 02:41 AM
I'm going away for the week-end, nothing exciting, just the in-laws, but I won't be posting for a few days. I've just been kind of cruising along, eating too much as usual. Speaking of sybil, I'm OK and content with myself one day, fat and bloated the next. Today I've just felt generally unhealthy. Yuck.
I need to get it together and I'm tired of saying that. GRRRRR.

jollygirl
07-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, I had a breakthrough this morning. I jogged the whole 2 miles without a walk break. I want to do this for a few days, then decide whether I should work on speed or adding distance. It felt good though.

Still seeking comfort from food, which I know is not good. But, after feeling like a sumo wrestler from binging on Chinese food for lunch, I did not have supper, except for V8 juice, raisens, and some little cheddar rice cakes at the part time job. Saved some calories, anyway.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Roxymom
07-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Good Morning! I had a bad day yesterday. Had my out of town monthly staff meeting. Sitting in the car for 6 hours, then most of the day, no exercise and not very healthy food.

I started today out with oatmeal and a banana. Brought a Healthy Choice meal for lunch, shrimp for dinner. Also plan on hitting the gym after work. Hopefully I will have the energy. I'm really tired after the long day yesterday.

Sounds like we are all having a slump. We need to hang in there. I know we can do it together!

Have a great day!

redballoon
07-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Hi guys. I feel a lot better now. Got in a lot of exercise yesterday and ate well, had another salad too. Trying to get the fresh veggies in again. No time to post, just wanted to say hi and not let jolly get too lonely! ;)

Roxy, Apple, good to hear from you. Jolly, can you try to think of other ways to seek "comfort," ways that won't leave you feeling bad. I mean, you say you're seeking "comfort" but you don't sound happy about the eating. Think of that. So many of our bad habits are illusions. We make excuses saying we enjoy what we're doing and we really don't. Can you turn on soothing music (whatever is soothing for you, that is.) buy an ipod or something so you can do it anywhere. I don't know, I just hate hearing you "seeking comfort in food." Still, you got back in control in the evening. You're getting there. Old habits change slowly often, but I think you're changing. Eating when unpleasant things happen to us is one of the hardest things to change, isn't it? Good luck.

jollygirl
07-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Thanks Red. Glad to hear you are feeling better. Roxy, where are you? Did you make it to the gym?? Hope so.

So so day. I did have a nice ride after work though. Even rode with another horse without getting out of control. Woo hoo. Baby steps. Just like everything else in life.

Take care all.

Roxymom
07-08-2005, 09:12 AM
Hello Ladies. Well I didn't make it to the gym last night. I was so exhausted after work, I went home and took a nap! I didn't even eat dinner. My exercise this weekend will be working at the BBQ Cookoff this weekend. We help with the Taster's Choice. Lots on standing and walking in the heat. The only problem is trying NOT to sample all the great BBQ! This year it has become a National event so it's even bigger. They hope to have Food Network here in the next couple years. It is a lot of fun.

I have been struggling this week with the holiday, staff meeting, now the bbq. And on top of it we are taking a mini vacation in a couple weeks. I'm really going to have to work hard to make my goal this month. Not going well so far.

Red, sounds like things are getting better for you.

Jolly, all those baby steps can add up!

Apple have fun this weekend.

redballoon
07-09-2005, 03:03 AM
Hi people. Had a great leg workout yesterday. Am hurting today! Well, no time now. Just wanted to say hi, you know, post so jolly wouldn't get upset. ;) Jolly, how are you? Great with the riding with the other horse. I know how tough that can be. My horse gets all out of control, wants to chase after the other horse.

Roxy, come on, girl. You can do it! Just get back on track, even if it's in a small way. No all or nothing thinking, ok? We gotta learn how to do this eating/exercising thing with whatever life throws us! :strong:

Raven, Derry, Apple, others! Where are you?!

RavenToy
07-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Hey chicks..

Jolly - Great work on riding another horse!! I can't wait till I can get back to riding mine. Soon... very soon I hope.

Roxy - I know how work can suck the life right out of you, that's why I always had to work out early in the morning before I went to work, or there was no hope of me getting any excercise in.

Red - Good leg workout!

Well, I finally feel like I'm getting back to me again. I actually was able to trim two horses this weekend!! I picked up a new client who fully sympathized with my back issues and was more than happy to let me take it easy and only do two of her horses to start off with. I'll be out there again next weekend to work on the other three, plus start working with her 3 month old foal and getting him used to having his feet handled. Her horses are spectacular straight egyptian arabs, and are a total delight to work with. But I had to trim VERY slowly and VERY carefully... it took me a long time to just do two horses, but I got them done. And even though it was tempting to keep going, I said enough. I'm glad I did, but I know I didn't overdo it. I'm sore this morning, but not any worse than I would have been after a good workout before I hurt my back. That was a huge relief.

It felt SO good to work a hoof again!!!! :dance:

I will be picked up as a permanent employee by the company I'm working for now as a temp around the 20th of this month. They've made me immediately eligible for the monthly sales bonus if we hit our goals. That's cool. I can't remember if I've posted this already or not. Benefits, here I come. It will allow me some breathing room - time to build my clientelle slowly and take more training and get my certification. It's a huge relief. They didn't give me much of a raise, but between the raise and the horses I'm trimming right now, that covers my horse board and feed. THAT is a huge relief. I have a lot of catching up to do, but now at least I have the means to do it. Six months of financial cleanup... ohwell. Hey, the lottery is back up to 100 million.. I should go buy a ticket. :p

Not sure if we'll get out to see my own horses today or not with Dennis looming. He has a big reach!! In any case, today we need to go buy crickets for the leezards, do some grocery shopping, and clean up the house.

It's nice to have the kids back. :) They were in Savannah for a week with their dad.

Oh! And .. I lost another pound!! Woo! Considering everything, that's fantastic!

Roxymom
07-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Hello all! I'm trying to recover from yesterday. It was so hot at the cookoff. But we had a great time and my cooker won Grand Champion! Didn't do too bad eating either. After it was over, I did have 2 strawberry dacquairis. They were do good. I haven't had one of them in so long!

I didn't get walking in or to the gym today, but I have been getting exercise. I've been helping DH sheetrock the basement. Later, when it get a little cooler out, I plan on mowing the yard.

Tomorrow, back to my routine! Thanks for the encouragement!

Raven - glad to here you are feeling good again!

redballoon
07-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Hi all. Raven, good to hear from you! Glad to hear you're picking up more work even with your back still bothering you.
Roxy, get your exercise any way you can! ;)
Jolly, Derry, happy, others, come in and say heh! :wave:
I'm doing okay, have been hitting the weights like crazy again. Feels great! Tried and succeeded in eating pretty "clean" today. Going to try to work toward even better days, but not get down when I kind of "goof off."

jollygirl
07-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Good morning all. Glad to hear from you Raven. Straight Egyptian Arabians, huh?? Coooooool. Glad you are feeling better. Red, glad you are feeling good doing weights again.

I had a good but busy weekend. Spent Saturday with at my friend's house on the lake. What fun. Yesterday, had a nice ride on the horse, then spent the rest of the day trying to stay cool. OH yeah, did get a 15 mile bike ride in. No jogging due to a blister. Ah well. Should be better to run tomorrow.

Have a great day all.

Roxymom
07-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Good Morning! Today is going to be a good day! I can already feel it. Started out with oatmeal for breakfast, brought chicken and a salad for lunch. Going walking for 30 minutes during lunch and to the gym after work. Not sure about dinner yet.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Apple Blossom
07-12-2005, 01:26 AM
*sigh* I have to set my weight tracker back to the beginning. I've gained back a bit of weight since I've been eating out of control. I'm hoping for a good week to get back on track. I have a huge bucket of salad green in the fridge.....
While I was away I was able to walk everyday, and I took a walk today too.
I'm going to think about setting some goals and challenges. And no beer....
Hey Raven! Good to hear from you. Sounds like things are falling into place for you!
Hi jolly, red, roxy and anyone else lurking out there!

jollygirl
07-12-2005, 07:35 AM
Good morning all. I need a pat on the back. My "personal trainer" is sick. So I got up this morning and had to bathe dog and scrub out crate. Despite that, I did go out and do the short run, which was all I had time for. I feel pretty good I didn't use puppy being sick as an excuse not to work out today.

Have a great day all :wave:

redballoon
07-12-2005, 08:24 AM
:bravo: Good for you, jolly! :cp: That's the way! :sunny:

derrydaughter
07-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Hi ladies, it's been awhile. My dad has not been well at all and I've had so much on my mind, have not had mental capacity to be "here" with you all.
How is everyone doing?
I'm not doing well, but am ready to gulp and get back on track today.
Linda

redballoon
07-12-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi, Derry. Glad to hear from you. So sorry about your father and what a hard time this is for you. I don't think anyone expects you to be in here gung-ho and all but do stop in occassionally to say heh. We miss you. :grouphug:

derrydaughter
07-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Heh! I miss you guys as well. I just needed a few days to catch my breath.
Believe it or not, I've actually been really busy as well as kind of greiving for my dad, who is still alive, but not awfully well. This is very hard.
But, being away for awhile, visiting him at both a hosptial and then a nursing home was very hard, and then to get home and realize that nothing had been done here in my absence in terms of paying bills, laundry, etc. It's been kind of a nightmare, and I am heading back to see him tomorrow. My mom took him home from the nursing home yesterday, I'm not sure how long she can take care of him on her own, but I know she wants to try.
I worry a great deal and am not sleeping much these days. Eating has been a bit out of control as well.
Linda

Roxymom
07-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Good Morning! So nice to see so many checking in!

Derry - I am so sorry to hear what you are going through. Sending prayers for you and for dad and family. Check in when you can and let us know how things are going. :grouphug:

Jolly - good for you!

Apple - Hang in there. We all go through hard times. I'm in a rut myself. I need to add a few pounds to my weight tracker also, but have been putting it off hoping they will come off.

Yesterday wasn't too bad for me. The only no-no was about 1/2 cup of mac and cheese. I couldn't resist! It's been so long since I had it. I know things will get easier for me once DD moves back to college. I'm not looking forward to it since I'm sure this will be her final move. No more moving back home for the summer. I will really miss her. But I know it will be easier to stick to the plan.

Today I will try to get my noon walk in, but I need to run errands also. No gym tonight, but I plan on walking the dogs and mowing the front yard. If nothing else, I will be sweating the pounds off with all this heat and humidity!

Have a nice day!

derrydaughter
07-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks Roxy, I appreciate your thoughts and concern.
I have tried today to behave a little bit. Seems like I can gain control for short periods of time and then all **** breaks loose. At least I got on my treadmill today, first time in at least a week.
Hope I can stay motivated and not allow the bad things in my life to take over.
Linda

Apple Blossom
07-12-2005, 10:02 PM
Hey everyone! I'm headed in the right direction today, nothing great but on track anyhow.
Derry, it is so nice to hear from you! I think about you alot and I'm sending some hugs your way. :grouphug: How is your mom holding up? I really like your new life time plan - SCCI . Especially the calmness. There are so many times even in one day where I wish for calmness. And I mean my own, not the rest of my not-always-so-calm family, although that would be nice.
Hey Jolly! I admire your dedication to your exercise program. Way to go! It's going to pay off for you big time, just be patient!
Gotta run, dinner time!

jollygirl
07-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey all. Not much to report here. I still have a sick pup. Hopefully she will be better soon. Still not eating right. I realized, again, I need to sit down and do some planning. I am all excited and hopeful, wanting this new job at work so I can have a fresh start and new challenges. I have to figure out what I would do differently, if given this fresh start. Not good if, one way or another, I get a new start, and make the same old mistakes.

Thanks for all the shout outs for running. Sometimes you just need to get that validation from everywhere. I was a bit dumb though. Because I was running late, and only going to do the short run, I didn't take time to stretch. My knee felt a little squooshy all day, then when I went to ride, I hyperextended it mounting. Oops. Must take better care. . .

It is so good to hear from everyone, even when things aren't going so great. That's what we are hear for. Derry - sending hugs and prayers your way. Wish there was more we could do.

Everyone, have a great rest of the evening (or day, Red). Talk to you tomorrow.

derrydaughter
07-13-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks, guys. I wasn't exactly on program yesterday, but did better than I've done for the last several days.
I forgot I shared my SCCI (Strength, Courage, Calmness and Intelligence) plan with you all. That is still what I want and need, Jolly, you talk about fresh starts and I think this is the way we need to think each and every day... each day is truly a "fresh start" and we have a chance to do it right and do it better.
If I fail today, there is no reason why I can't begin anew tomorrow.
Linda

redballoon
07-13-2005, 06:59 AM
Sure thing, Derry, fresh starts are always there for us. It's about getting back up again and again, or fresh start, however you want to think of it, there's no penalty for flubbing up, just a delay in your success. :yes: I'm glad to hear you're feeling a little more like getting your eating under control. Power to you. :strong:

I was able to get to the gym after all today. A friend from work called me to ask me about where he could buy barbells as he's wanting to get some fat off. So, great, I thought, here I am sitting home ready to blow off the gym. I have a responsibility to all these people asking me for advice..me...cough, cough...so I whipped my butt onto the bike and off I went to the gym, where I did a short but sweet leg workout. My asthma (from dust in my room today) made things tough. People would have thought I was panting from the weights even though I was going light. :wl: Thing is, I'm sure they didn't even notice. I was glad went. Found out that the gym is nicely deserted on Wednesday afternoons. Normally, i'd go in the morning and it was always crowded then because of some star aerobics teacher. I also was home when the delivery men brought my exercise machine, which I bought used. So the day turned out okay. :cp:

:df:

jollygirl
07-13-2005, 09:22 AM
Good morning all. Heck, Derry. I figure if I have a bad breakfast, I can make a fresh start for lunch. Each choice is a new opportunity to do the right thing. As Red says, bad choices don't define us, they just slow our progress. Red, I am glad the day turned out ok.

Well, I overcame the couch demon this morning. I was soooo tempted to just skip the gym this morning and catch a nap on the couch. Buuuuut, after a brief struggle, I did go to the gym. Just did 40 min on the bike, but I figure that is better than nothing.

Here's to a great day for all of us!

Roxymom
07-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Good Morning! Nice to see everyone here! Yesterday was a pretty good day. I stayed busy after work and that kept me out of the kitchen. I think that's the key for me. DH has been working late due to one person quitting so DD and I did all the yard work last night. It was fun, but I'm not use to using the weedeater and my arms are a little sore today. I plan on going to the gym after work.

Have a great day!

jollygirl
07-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Hi all. Well, not much to report here except that I made it home from the part time job without stopping for the ice cream or chips and dip that were calling to me. So that's something anyway.

Still stress eating. Trying to make better choices, and stay on top of my exercise.

Have a good one all.

redballoon
07-14-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi there, Roxy, jolly, glad to see you're doing okay. Roxy, the sore arms sound like you gave yourself a good workout there! jolly, you say you're stress eating but those gym and junk food saves were fantastic! Keep it up. You'll get on top of it and, yes, I like what you said to Derry about fresh starts. Why consider the entire day shot because you overdo it at some point. Try, try again.
I've been kind of practicing the "Wait!" command, kind of like you'd say to a dog in front of his food. I do this with those special hardcore sweets I may be looking to wolf down. I put it off and put it off, seeing how long I can wait and sometimes end up deciding to just go to bed instead. It's also good because I often can wait till after a workout and that apparently is the best time (if you're going to eat it) to eat simple carbs, after a heavy workout. Sometimes I just have really sweet fruit because I feel so good about having worked out and that it's behind me that I don't want the candy bar or whatever. So, anyhow, just thought you all could try the "Wait!" command. It's kind of fun hearing it in your head and knowing you do get to lunge for the food...but later. :)

jollygirl
07-14-2005, 07:28 AM
I like that, Red. "waaaaaait" I just hope i can obedience train myself better than my dogs. :rofl: It's funny too, treating myself like a dog, as sometimes I think my dog is channeling my mother. Those mornings when I decide to skip the gym, and she just sits in the doorway, like she would be tapping her foot if she could, and looking like she is thinking "what ARE you doing?" Usually it works too, and I get off to the gym.

I did my 2 mile run this morning. I figure I am at about a 12 minute mile right now. Not stellar. But, I want to get closer to a 10 minute, then start adding distance.

That's all for now. Gotta stretch out, make breakfast, and get to work. Have a great day all.

Roxymom
07-14-2005, 09:45 AM
Hello all. Red, I like your idea too. Gonna try the "wait" command on myself. Jolly, I think you are doing great on your running!

Yesterday was good until dinner. DD wanted to cook. She decided she wanted to make chicken fetticine alfredo. I limited myself to a small portion and the added a big salad. I even skipped the garlic bread sticks! I'm sure I went over my points but that's ok. It's not everyday that my DD offers to cook! I did get to the gym after work too. My arms are still a little sore but getting better.

Have a great day!

jollygirl
07-14-2005, 10:39 AM
Hurray for getting to the gym, Roxy. And what a yummy, special dinner. I wish I could limit myself at all when it comes to pasta. That is such a huge trigger for me, I just try to avoid it whenever possible. And I LOVE chicken alfredo. Good for you!

Have a great day.

LegallyBrunette
07-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Can I join your group?

I feel bad just butting in, but there aren't many new groups around here!! I've read through some of your posts and you ladies seem to be a great support group for each other!

Apple Blossom
07-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Well, it's that time of the month, and I'm grumpy and bloated and generally unpleasant to be around. OK eating day, I had a salad for lunch, but I guess I can't expect scale results for a week or so . Maybe I can turn that into a good thing...no scale until next Thursday, work my butt off and maybe I'll be pleasantly suprised!! YES! I will do it!!!
Welcome to our group, Legal! We love having more people to chat with.
Bed time for the little ones, see you tomorrow. As Scarlett O'Hara once said, "After all, tomorrow is another day..."

jollygirl
07-15-2005, 06:07 AM
Good morning all, and welcome Legal! Butt in all you want, we are glad to have you.

I am soooo tired this morning. I worked last night as I took off Saturday. Yikes! But I will get to the gym anyway. I will I will I will. And, as a mini save, again I was craving ice cream when I left work, and again I refrained. Hurray!

Have a wonderful day all.

Roxymom
07-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Happy Friday!

Welcome Legal! Great to have a new person join us.

Apple - I love you attitude! And that's a great quote to use!

Jolly - I had the ice cream for you! DH & DD wanted Dairy Queen. I gave in and had a small vanilla cone, so that wasn't too bad. I could of had a Blizzard!

I have a weekend of house cleaning and laundry a head of me, but at least I will be at home! Haven't had a free weekend in a couple weeks so I need to get some things done. That will keep me busy and out of the kitchen.

Have a great day!

LegallyBrunette
07-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Ladies, when you were first starting out, how did you convince yourself to work out daily?? That's my biggest problem!! What kinds of workout do you do also? I just can't bring myself to work out, and I think it's because I can't find anything I just love to do...

jollygirl
07-16-2005, 09:08 AM
When I was first starting out, Legal, I didn't do any exercise I didn't get a phy ed credit for. I was introduced to an exercise I loved, and that really convinced me to like exercise in general. If you don't like what you are doing, you won't do it. Also, schedule it in, and at a time when you will have the least excuses not to do it. I am so NOT a morning person, but I became one because exercise became important to me, and mornings are the only time I can get a workout in for sure. But first and most importantly, find something you enjoy.

Have a great day all. I am off to the gym, the barn, and then my friend's house.

Apple Blossom
07-16-2005, 01:35 PM
Legal, I used to run/jog but since I've had children I've had a hard time keeping up with it. I seem to get in shape, fall out and have to start all over and it's frustrating. Plus I have a knee that needs extra care. So I have been walking. I can do that with the baby and it's really nice to get out and around the neighborhood too. It's a great way to start an exercise program also. Anyone can walk!! I really don't like lifting weights, but I think if my arms are ever going to tighten up I'm going to have to buckle down and endure. Like red said, when those arms are in sleeveless tops again, it will be worth it. Just waiting for some motivation...... :^: (aren't we all?)

jollygirl
07-17-2005, 09:31 AM
Hey all. I need to find that motivation too. I had a late night with some of my girlfriends last night. I didn't get up in time to run, and due to the heat, and the time consstraints, am not getting out to the barn. I need to hurry up, clean the apartment, and get to the gym then, but instead I am just sitting around.

Maybe a day of rest isn't the worst thing??? I did work out every other day this week.

Have a great day all.

Roxymom
07-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Good Morning! I use to exercise regularly, when I was younger. Then stopped because with kids and work I had no time. I started walking at noon for 30 minutes with a co-worker about a year ago. Then my DD (who is 19) convinced me to go back to the gym. I started going to the gym 3-4 times a week in January. It has helped me to have more energy! Don't think I will get to the gym today. I did something to my arm and it has really been hurting. I have no strength in it right now. So I decided to give it a rest for a few days. I will get my walk in though.

Have a great day!

jollygirl
07-18-2005, 12:37 PM
I did not make it to the gym again today either. I did something I hadn't in awhile, and took an extra nap on the couch :( Bad Teri, Bad. I wish I knew what was going on, that I am so tired so much of the time.

Not much else going on here. Have a great day all.

LegallyBrunette
07-18-2005, 05:29 PM
jollygirl, we all deserve an extra nap once in awhile!!

I made it to the gym today :) 45 minutes on the stationary bike, lifted weights (focused on legs) and 15 minutes on the eliptical to cool down :) I am so proud of myself!!

RavenToy
07-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Hi folks. :)

Welcome to the thread, LB. Glad to see new faces.

This has to be a bit of a flyby, gotta get ready to go to the office job. Hopefully I won't have to deal with this too much longer.

I feel like I might actually be able to join back into the thread with something positive to say again. :^: I think I'm going to start walking in the mornings again. I know I need to take it slow because the repeated action does aggravate my hip joints somewhat, but it's getting better.

I'm very much back to trimming again, I listened to my body, took it very slow, took lots of breaks, lots of stretching and moving inbetween horses, and managed to do FOURTEEN trims this weekend! Go me! Talk about a whole body workout! Pulled shoes off four horses, one of them 'navicular'. :s: We're on a roll. My back is sore, but no more than I would expect if I hadn't torn it up almost 6 weeks ago. It's no more sore than my legs, arms, shoulders... feet. .. . . . eyelashes... :lol:

I'm going to Vermont in September to train with one of the more widely known barefooters in the world. He travels everywhere giving seminars, and this will count as one of my mentorships towards certification. I'm trying to line up another required class and one more mentorship before I leave, if possible. Money, I need more money. ;) Don't we all?

I need about 50 more horses before I can quit my desk job. I have slowly grown it up to about 23 horses right now, so hopefully it will keep growing!

So right now I'm just kind of eating what's in the house because I'm frantically trying to get caught up with rent and board and horse feed. Oh, and car registration and I need to get all the lights fixed. It never stops. This weekend I have about 8 horses to trim and a 3 month old foal to start working with. Ought to be fun! Jolly, it's one of the Egyptians! He's a doll! But anyway, that means I can do some shopping again for more healthy fare. Water needs to go up... do you know how hard it is to stay hydrated when you're trimming horses in nearly 100 degree temps!? :eek: I can literally drink two gallons and not have to go pee. Ok, maybe that was TMI. :o

Ok, so my back to basics!! Get back to healthier food, try to increase water, and start walking again, even if it's only for 10 minutes in the morning! Hold me to it, ladies!

Roxymom
07-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Good Morning!

Way to go Legal! Sounds like you got a good workout!

Raven - Glad things are starting to get back to normal for you.

I got my walk in yesterday but didn't get to the gym. I had planned on doing yard work, but we had a down pour right before I was going to start. So I get to do the yard work this evening. I really need to work on my journaling. I haven't been writing down my food for he last several days. I've been really busy, but need to make time to do it. My arm is feeling a little better so maybe the rest has done some good.

Have a great day!

jollygirl
07-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Hi all. Real quick fly by post. After much struggling and inner arguing, I did go out and have a nice run this morning. It was hard. I almost decided to just lay around on the couch again. But I am trying.

Have a good one all. I will try to post more later.

redballoon
07-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Hi people. Sorry I haven't been writing here. Been too busy on my other thread, the 21-day challenge. Nice to see some newcomers and hear from Raven again. Good going on all the work you're doing.

jolly, you really sound to be struggling but still sticking with it. I just wish I could hear where things were getting easier for you. You sound a lot like me. You have great persistence but then you totally sabotage your efforts. Don't mind me if I'm wrong. I just get that feeling from what you write. I am dealing with this, and I'm getting sick of it. It's like, I see the effort and feel it! but I choose to close my eyes at the sloth, the overindulgence. And of course, why not, that isn't effort. It's done with the greatest of ease and usually pleasure. Damn it all. I was reading about the different body types and though I always though I had a lot of mesomorph in me I'm now thinking, heck no, I'm an endomorph all the way. And, the prognosis for them is not good. We've got to really, really work at losing weight and there is no room for inconsistency. In other words, as far as I'm concerned, that means there's no room for life.

I'm reminded of the saying that nothing that isn't worth having doesn't take a lot of effort. And for some, it means all the more effort. I think of having this great, lean, strong body that I have always coveted. And I think, is it worth the effort, now that I am realized what that means for me, for my body type. I would have to say YES, but in saying so, I am going to have to commit to the effort and never, ever look to the people for whom it comes easier. The question is, do I want this body, not do I like this kind of body in others? If I want it, I'm going to have to do the work necessary for me, even if it's not fair. ****, life's not fair, right? Ok, just my thoughts now. I have really been trying to eat well and get to the gym and I have been but I'm not seeing the results quickly enough and thus I am constantly in danger of giving up or giving in to old habits. Persistence is what's needed. Persistence and patience. ...

LegallyBrunette, hello there! Glad to have you onboard and great going on the exercise! Keep it up! Roxymom, glad to hear you're exercising. Even a walk is good. Don't do what I do and sit around like a bump on a log unless I can get to the gym and go all out. It's NOT all or nothing in the exercise area. Every little bit helps. Apple, hello! Yes, don't you wish you could see and feel how great you can be just for a second at least. If I could feel and see where I've never been before maybe I could imagine it better. People always talk about visualizations but I can never seem to do it. I've never had the body I want and even if I look at pictures in a magazine of the body I would like to have, I can't see myself getting there. This stupid voice of doubt creeps in. It's like, sure, I have an imagination and can see it but the voice kills the feeling. I have no faith. But, that said, I have been better than where I am now and little changes, very little, are giving me back some hope. My butt looks a bit shapelier, the fat is leaving and I can see the line to my midsection (notice I don't say waist) a little better. Ah, sigh. Can I keep at it long enough for good things to continue?......

jollygirl
07-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Good morning all. Raven, glad to hear you are trimming again. Egyptians are the best. I saw the best car window cling the other night that said "Put your ^$$ on some class - ride an Arabian" I wish I knew where they got it. But anyway, I am glad you are doing better. Good luck reaching your goal number.

Red, I wish the struggle would get easier too. But I still struggle. and most days I succeed in making the right decision - at least as far as exercising goes. I missed 2 days, out of the past how many weeks??? I exercise EVERY DAY! Even when my intensity isnt what it should be, or if I skip the dreaded weights, I exercise. because it makes me feel better. Yes, I don't succeed as much as I should with food choices, but I also have been a stress eater since I was 12. That's 23 years of bad habits I am trying to erase. It is not going to happen overnight. Yes, I know that eating doesn't solve anything. And yes, I know better things to do when I am stressed. But it is a long term habit. I do what I can. That's all you can do.

After a brief struggle, I did get to the gym this morning. Just did the bike so I could finish a book I was reading. I figure 40 minutes on the exercise bike burns more calories than 40 minutes on the couch.

Have a great day all.

Roxymom
07-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Good Morning! Quick post this morning. I'm getting ready to leave for a few days. Won't be back until Tuesday. We are going to visit DH's parents in southern Oklahoma. I love going to see them. My MIL spoils me so much!

Hope everyone has a great week! I'll check back in on Tuesday.

jollygirl
07-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Have a good trip, Rox. OK. So now I have the song from the musical streaming through my head. Greaaaaat.

Hey, Legal. I may have to steal an idea from your signature, and put up a tracker for short term goals instead. Might be easier to look at little goals then big.

Have a great night all.

LegallyBrunette
07-20-2005, 10:54 PM
jolly, I've found that looking at the smaller goal helps me feel better with each pound, like I accomplished a great feat!! It's also why I switched my goal weight from my BIG goal of 130ish to a smaller goal of 199!

jollygirl
07-21-2005, 06:24 PM
I do like that. Kind of with running - if I have a big hill to go up, instead of looking at the top of the hill and feeling really overwhelmed, I look at where my feet are. Focusing on putting one foot in front of the other, it is just step by step - no hill. As soon as I make the time, I will change my signature.

For a multitude of reasons, today has not been a great day. I need to sit down and do some serious journaling, to find the learning experience out of all this, and how to move forward.

Have a great day all.

LegallyBrunette
07-21-2005, 06:31 PM
jollygirl, I hope that through journaling you can figure out some things! I know that usually helps me!! (But I'm a big journal person, I carry mine with me EVERYWHERE!) I hope your evening gets better!

Apple Blossom
07-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Well, I stayed off the scale for 1 week, and nothing happened. At least I didn't gain weight. When DH travels I am better at dieting and he has a trip coming up. Maybe I can get my act together then. Mean while I'll TRY to be good. Later!

LegallyBrunette
07-22-2005, 05:20 PM
Apple, I'm the same way! I'm far better at dieting when my DH is not around...imagine that :lol:

Today I went to the gym for the 3rd day in a row!! I'm so proud of myself!! That's 3 hours of cardio in 3 days!! Woo Hoo! A month ago I couldn't have walked around the block without throwing a hissy fit, now look at me go!

jollygirl
07-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi all. Journaling did help, actually. I was able to work through all the emotions, mainly negative, I was feeling. So I stopped feeling like I was standing on the edge of the abyss. Hopefully now I can move forward.

Have a great day all.

LegallyBrunette
07-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Good to hear jolly!!

Today was awesome, an hour of cardio!! I'm hoping for 90 minutes tomorrow... purely because I have nothing else to do ;) I finished Harry Potter!! One of my motivations to exercise was that I could only read the book at the gym :lol: and so I kept it in my locker at the gym...and I've done at least an hour of cardio every day this week!! (Although I did cheat and finish it today sitting in the whirlpool :lol:

Now I need a new motivation... perhaps a new book...

jollygirl
07-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Way to go, Legal. I do that sometimes too - use the reading material as motivation.

Today will be hard to find the motivation. Mid 90's for temp, and 94% humidity. My joints have been aching too, so running is not going to happen today. Hopefully, get to the gym and maybe try some swimming.

Have a great day all.

jollygirl
07-25-2005, 11:48 AM
wow, look how active we are . . . OK. Not so subtle sarcasm there. Hope everyone survived the hot weekend ok.

I gave myself a much needed kick in the butt. July was not a good month as far as motivation, working out hard enough, eating right. This will not continue. I have too much I want to do, to waste time being sick. And that is where I am heading if I don't straighten up and make better choices. Here's to better choices.

Have a great day all.

Apple Blossom
07-25-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't like posting when I feel I can't be inspirational. I'm just sitting around in the heat, eating and drinking. Bleh. Thanks legal and jolly! I'm glad to hear you are both on the right track! I visited my sister in law yesterday and returned feeling my usual -down on myself I'm such a loser- mood. It sounds so shallow I know, but I'd feel better about myself if I could lose this weight!! I know losing weight won't make me a better or different person where it counts but it would prove that I'm not a lazy or sloppy woman who can't buckle down and get something done!!! Grrrrr :mad:
This week WILL be a good one!

LegallyBrunette
07-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Apple, totally understandable that you think you'd feel better if you lost weight! I know I'd feel better about myself if I lost weight!

Jolly, I know exactly how you're feeling! I've been looking at my life lately, mainly since my dad had his massive heart attack, thinking "Oh My God! That could be me! I need to get my butt in gear!" (My dad is only 45 and has Heart Failure from the way he's lived his life... don't want that to happen to me!)

jollygirl
07-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Apple, I too understand the whole overweight/self esteem/ overeat cycle. But PLEASE, don't feel you have to be motivating all the time to be on here. We are here to motivate too. We all need each other.

Yeah, Legal, it's hard. Especially as I sit here right now. I was feeling so proud of myself. I put back a good chunk of dinner. I still ate more than a single portion, but I ate a lot less than I usually do. But now, I am home from work, and it is just screaming my name. I know I don't need it. I know if I eat it, I will just be up all night with acid reflux. But it is really hard to say no. I will let you all know tomorrow how I did.

Have a good one all.

LegallyBrunette
07-26-2005, 12:08 AM
JollyGirl, I hope dinner didn't get the best of you tonight ;)

I hit right at about 1500 calories today (my goal) And I walked 2.2 miles with DH tonight in addition to my 30 minute cardio video earlier today! I definately earned the hour I'm about to spend in the hottub!

I'm hoping I can force myself out of bed in the morning (at 4:30) to get to the gym by 5, exercise until 6, shower until 6:30 and be to work by 7!! Wish me luck with that!!

jollygirl
07-26-2005, 09:15 AM
Good morning. Well, I did and I did not beat the dinner cravings. I did NOT eat any more last night. I did, however, have the leftovers for breakfast. Now, on the days I run, I usually have a bigger breakfast. So at least it wasn't on a light breakfast day. And I will just have to make an omelet on the night I should have eaten the leftovers. But still, pasta? For breakfast?? There is probably a reason you don't see pictures of famous atheletes on jars of Ragu . . . .

I did jog today. Short distance, as I have been not going. Will get the distance back up there. but it was a good run.

Have a great day all.

Roxymom
07-26-2005, 09:43 AM
I'm back! Good Morning!

Had a great time at my in-laws! And best of all - I only gained 1 pound! That made me happy since I really didn't eat what I should. So today it's back to writing down what I eat and I plan on a trip to the gym after work. I won't get my noon walk in this week due to activities going on at work. When I have time I will go back and read the posts while I was gone.

Have a great day!

redballoon
07-26-2005, 04:25 PM
Good morning, people. Welcome back, Roxy. Jolly, I'd say that was a great save the other night. Next-morning breakfasts are next morning and don't count to the day before! Good work! Legally, glad to hear you're getting in the exercise. Doesn't kicking back AFTER working out feel great!? Apple, I hate to hear you feeling like a loser? What's up, kid? I know how you feel about not wanting to post when you're feeling down, but heh, why not just come in and chat about whatever...come over and visit us on the 21-day thread. I'm kept pretty busy (very busy) over there and that's why I don't get over here much these days. Feel bad about that though so here I am. Nice to see the old regulars. Well, take care all. Chin up and all. If you're here, you're still in the game! :goodvibes:

jollygirl
07-26-2005, 09:05 PM
Hello all. Roxy, glad your trip went well. Vacations are sooo fun. Red, thanks. I know I did good by not eating it yesterday, it was just the thought that I ate chicken alfredo for breakfast!!! That is a bit nuts. I did do a good job with my food choices the rest of the day, for which I am glad. Each day is a new day.

So, I had an epiphany while jogging this morning. I was feeling bad about how slow I go, when I realized, "Even Lance Armstrong started out with training wheels." (OK, so there is a possibility he didn't, but let's not go there)

Have a great evening everyone.

redballoon
07-26-2005, 11:28 PM
That's the spirit, jolly! Nothing wrong with alfredo for breakfast. And good attitude with the jogging. You start where you gotta start. No comparing, just emulation! We are all Lance Armstrong if we try hard enough! Remember, you are out there. Some people never move at all. Some people can't. I don't know if you're losing weight these days, but you're not gaining, right? You'll take it to the next notch when you're ready. Easy does it. :)

jollygirl
07-27-2005, 06:05 AM
Well, thanks for the positives, but I DID gain this month. I was really worrying a lot about the job situation, and was making poor choices with both food and exercise. But, I seem to have turned a corner mentally, so onward I go.

OK. Another roadside ephiphany I had: "Being a hero may involve simply refusing to stay laying on the ground." Yeah. I should work for Hallmark!

So, Red - how goes your workouts these days? Doing weights again? How are you feeling about yourself?

Have a great day all.

redballoon
07-27-2005, 06:40 AM
Hi, jolly, okay, so you gained a bit. You'll get it off again. Those mental corners are the hard ones but when you turn one, it'll get you somewhere! Yes, Hallmark needs you! "Refusing to stop lying on the ground!!" :lol: You'd be speaking to more people than they speak to now, in reality!

Well, how am I doing. At the moment, lousy, but because I have what seems to be a summer cold that I can't shake. My nose is running constantly, get chills, sometimes my lungs get so congested I get asthma and can't breathe. Damn. Really want to be healthy and work out. Even wen to the gym but it was sooo freezing cold in there from the air-conditioner that I felt horrible, broke out in a strange sweat..maybe it just felt strange cause it was so cold. It's often like this in the summer. The temperature is changing drastically and it's very humid. Since I ride outside in the heat I have to be used to the heat. Thus, no air-conditioner at home. I can take and need the heat but with all these air-conditioners I just can't adjust and get sick. Otherwise, I've been getting good food in me and seem to have knocked off some fat. Hit the weights again and that has helped. But I really want to be running, but usually can't because of this cold or whatever and my lungs. Oh well, I'm plugging away, trying to make progress. At the moment I see a little progress..

Well, gonna get to bed now. Hope I can sleep. The brother-in-law was here last week. We aren't buddy buddy, put it that way, but I did the right thing and showed him around. First time in Japan and all that. But, I was sick then and had to keep pushing, another reason I think I really got sicker. Glad that's over.

Money is a major worry, major anxiety. Just can't seem to drum up the work these days.

Well, hope you're doing good today, jolly! :yes:

Apple, Derry, Roxy, Legally, Rave, same to you! Hope to hear from you all soon! :wave:

jollygirl
07-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Hope you feel better soon, REd. It must be hard doing the heat, a/c, heat routine. Yuck!

I have two NSVs to report. Both yesterday and today I had chef salads. Both times I did the dressing on the side-dip routine, instead of my usual "drown the salad to make sure it is dead" thing. And one of those salads was made at home. Woo hoo. Maybe there is hope for me yet. Plus, I am really trying to wean myself off of so many snacks and junk. I still plan snacks during the day - I don't want to get to the point I go looking for something. But right now it is granola bars, fruit, and/or rice cakes. I ate the last of my granola bars, so I am making a 1point muffin recipe a friend gave me.

Hope to hear from everyone else soon. Take care!!

LegallyBrunette
07-27-2005, 04:59 PM
I realized today just how sick of being fat I am! I've been to the gym 5 days a week for the last 2 weeks, and I am still the slowest walker on the treadmill, and by far the biggest person I see there! I see all these girls my age (22) who look like a 22 year old should look, cute and skinny! And I get so frustrated!! All the more reason to keep going!!

Then after my workout, I took a quick shower and was getting dressed and I couldn't believe how HUGE I looked in the mirror!! I definately NEED to get this weight off! I know I sould rediculous and like I'm doing this for physical appearances, I know my health is FAR more important, but I want to look like I'm 22! Ok, so maybe I won't this year, but by my 23rd birthday (next March) I can be pretty darn cute!!

So I'm starting to REALLY look at my diet. Sure, I've stayed under 1500 calories most days, but that's still by eating potato chips, and other fattening stuff! Starting today I am going to hit my veggie intake! And stop eating crap calories!!

Thanks for listening to me vent ;)

jollygirl
07-27-2005, 11:40 PM
I hear you on the healthier eating, Legal. I really found I enjoyed my salads more when they weren't drowned. All the veggies tasted so good. I want to experiment more with vegetables and good seasonings, in hopes that good flavor will need less calories. Plus, I want to pick up some things that are in season now, like those little yellow zuchinni things and peppers, and freeze them for stir frys this winter.

Take care all!

jollygirl
07-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Good morning any and all. Hope to hear from more of you later.

Well. I did some "celebrating" this morning, by not doing my jog. I am still making healthy food choices though, and not splurging in my eating, so I guess I am ok with missing one workout this week. We will see how I feel when I go to run again Sunday
:(

I am on top of the world today, though. Life is good!

Have a great day everyone.

Roxymom
07-28-2005, 12:40 PM
Good Morning!

I'm feeling really lazy today. Just don't feel like doing anything. I hate those days! I will have to make myself exercise today. Need to really start watching my eating also. It's so hard to get back on track after vacation. Just found out we are going to Vegas in November. It would be nice to have about 15-20 pounds off by then. We move my DD back to college in 2 weeks so that will make it easier to get motivated. I will need something to do then.

Better get back to work. Have a great day. Keep up the good work everyone!

LegallyBrunette
07-28-2005, 12:59 PM
WooHoo! Just finished my hour of cardio! I know I should add weight training to my routine, but I'm thinking of waiting for the inevitable plataeu that way I have something to kick it's butt!

We only have one gym in town, so it's almost a given that I'll run into someone I know... of course today I ran into 3 girls from work. I was so embarassed by this! I mean, I know they see me at work and I know that they obviously know I'm "big" but it was rather embarassing to see them at the gym! I just can't explain why...

Jolly, I love veggies! That's never been a problem! I love peas, Carrots, green beans, lettuce, zuchini! I love them, I have all my life. My big problem is that I also love potato chips, ice cream, etc!! So hopefully I can change my ways slightly! I'm glad you're having a good day :) If you're making good food choices than skipping a work out isn't a big deal! Just so long as it doesn't snowball into skipping every workout!

Roxymom, Vegas! How fun!! 15-20 pounds by then is totally doable! And you know you have our support ;)

Apple Blossom
07-28-2005, 01:51 PM
A word on ice cream...I love it!!! And I can trick myself into thinking its good for me, simply because it is a dairy product with protien and calcium. Every now and then you should read the nutritional info...tons of sugar, tons of fat and cholesterol...bad bad bad. :nono:
Anyway, today I AM going to watch what I eat. I have more tomatoes, zuchini and watermelon than I know what to do with....Only hurdle is that I promised to take my mom out to dinner (pizza) I promise to have only 2 slices :crossed: I'll post later tonight to let you know how the day went.
I'm vacationing in 2 weeks and I'd really like to get down to 150.....

LegallyBrunette
07-28-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm so proud of myself! I had lunch, and about 5 minutes later I felt like I was starving, so I poured a glass of water. I still felt hungry, but I knew I just needed my stomach to digest my lunch, so I grabbed another glass of water and sat down to read some of my favorite health websites online! I read some success stories, which encouraged me NOT to grab for the potato chips (GrRr! Why Must Hubby Keep them here?!) and to wait another 10 and if I was still hungry, I was going to grab an apple. Luckily , the craving went away!

I'm so proud of myself :D

Apple, Good Luck with the pizza!! I'm sure you can do it :) Just get a salad before! (If the place you go has Salad!)

redballoon
07-28-2005, 09:52 PM
Hello, people. At work now so can't address you individually. Just wanted to boast about my getting to the gym this morning even though I was rushed. I walked the 50 mins there and got in a great chest and back weight workout! Wow! Good music was playing. That can make a huge difference. Ah, it feels good to be working out and feeling strong! Good luck everyone and I'll try to catch up on the posts later! Brunette, great save there!

jollygirl
07-28-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi guys. Sorry I don't have time to talk to everyone. It is so good to hear from you all. I did a baaaaaad thing tonight. I way overate. Just seemed like a good idea at the time. Not so good now. So, I guess I chose a bad way to celebrate.

Yes, everyone, I have good news. After much waiting, stress, freaking out, depression - I found out yesterday that I did get the promotion. I am nervous, but feeling very excited and oh so blessed. I can't wait to get started.

That's all for now. Up too late working on things. Will try to talk more later. Have a good one.

Roxymom
07-29-2005, 09:35 AM
WOOHOO Jolly! Congrats on your promotion! :goodluck:

Legal - I know what you mean about running into people you work with at the gym. I live in a small town with one gym also. I usually don't see anyone I know but occasionally someone will show up and they are all in better shape than me. Hang in there.

Red sounds like you had a great workout!

Apple - I love ice cream too. In fact I splurged last night and had one dip of real ice cream! When I have a craving, I have been really good and choosing low-fat frozen yogurt or sherbert.

Have a great day and weekend everyone!

Apple Blossom
07-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I did OK about the pizza. Not a pig out anyway. I added up my cals on fitday and I came in around 2000 so not a losing day but not a gaining one either. My mom wanted to treat the kids to ice cream too but I passed. I was full from the pizza. Today I'm going to shoot for 1200 cals. Counting is the best way for me to stay on a program. And I'm starting a mini goal of no beer/wine for a week. here we go!
Congrats legal, on your self control at lunch!
Congrats jolly, on your promotion!!! :cp:

LegallyBrunette
07-29-2005, 02:47 PM
I just got home from an hour and 8 minutes of cardio! *LoL* @ the 8 minutes! They had this new machine that I wanted to try out, but I only got through 8 minutes because it was too annoying for me to use... (Not complicated, just akward!)

I just realized that in less than 2 weeks I will be spending a week in my hometown, and I'm super nervous about staying "good" while I'm there! First, my mother in law spoils my husband and ALWAYS has wonderful deserts when we are there! Second, I want to hit up my favorite resteraunts that I NEVER get, and of course they aren't exactly healthy! But if I keep with my exercise routine and only order 1 burger rather than 3, I should be fine :lol:

Red, I definately agree, good music can make all the difference in the world!

Jolly, Congrats on the promotion :hat: (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=122#):high: (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=122#):cheers: (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=122#):cheer: (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=122#)Don't worry too much about the overeating! You were celebrating, and so long as it's a once in awhile thing, and oyu make sure to work out an extra little bit the next day, it's not so bad at all!

Roxymom, I hate HATE HATE running into people I know! But I suppose it's not the end of the world, and if I keep going to they gym like I have been it won't be long and I'll be looking fantabulous myself!

Apple, Good job on the pizza! If we don't let ourselves have it once in awhile we'll never stay on plan! So don't worry about it at all! But I definately know what you mean about NEEDING to count calories!

jollygirl
07-29-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the congrats everyone. and good job on the saves. We are on the path, adn eventually we will get were we need to be. Some just take the scenic route :lol:

Have a good one!

Apple Blossom
07-29-2005, 11:11 PM
I counted up my cals and I'm at 1100, but I always forget something, so I guess I made my goal! :cp: And I get a smiley for no beer. :)
I went to the store today and they had a sale on some good beer so I bought a six pack but I'm keeping it out of the fridge and resisting!
The night ain't over yet, But hopefully I'll finish off on track. :crossed:
It feels nice to have a good day to get myself down the right road. See you tomorrow!

LegallyBrunette
07-30-2005, 01:58 PM
Apple,
YaY For no beer!! I was craving one last night, pretty intensely! But luckily I went to bed instead ;)

I'm rewarding myself today with renting a chick flick and curling up on the couch! 7 days of exercise, 7 days of meeting my food goal and 7 days without beer! That deserves a reward!

Apple Blossom
07-31-2005, 02:06 AM
Oh legal! I wish I had read your post earlier, I may have been able to practice some more self control. I went to visit my mother and I had a beer there. :nono: Oh well... No smiley for me. Back to day one. I did have a good eating day, even with the beer I met my calorie goal. :cp:
I had another oh-my god-I-need-to-lose-weight moment yesterday. I down loaded some photos from the camera and yuck. I'm usually the one taking the pictures but DH took some very unflattering shots. I have to admit the shirt I was wearing is very unflattering its self. That shirt is headed for Good Will. Oh listen to me blah blah blah. Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

redballoon
07-31-2005, 03:22 AM
Hi all, just a flyby. Just wanted to say hi since I saw all the posts. The challenge thread is hopping and I'm kept busy over there. Congrats, jolly on the job. Apple, for not drinking the beer, at least, at first. :) Brunette, you are rocking! Roxy, how you doing? Sorry for the quickie. Better something than nothing I thought. Bye! Take care! :wave:

jollygirl
07-31-2005, 08:04 AM
Good morning all. Just a quick fly by for me as well. Legal - hope you enjoyed your chick flick. What did you choose? Congrats on the week.

I am busy this weekend. My sister found a bunch of numbers for me to call, including an apartment open in her building. We shall see. Everyone keeps talking about how the cost of living is cheaper where I am moving too, but they forget - I don't live in the greatest area. So my rent is really cheap for what I get. (of course, being in a bad area, they don't charge me for the "extras" either, like the grafitti on my car, broken glass on the sidewalks . . . ). So, I am stressing out a bit. I have missed another workout today, due to needing to clean, orgnanize, work the part time job. . . I know I need to stay focused on just the day, as I feel myself getting freaked out at all that needs to be done if I dont. But, so far, while I did eat a bit too much, I haven't been pigging out on junk food and stuff.

Sorry it is so much me me me. This is just where I get it out, and try to move forward. I hope everyone has a great day :)

LegallyBrunette
07-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Let me start with my good news :) I lost 4 pounds last week! (I was sure I'd only be at about 2, since I pigged out on pizza and cheesy bread yesterday!) So that put me one pound past where I wanted to be today (I wanted to have been at 229 today, but instead I was at 228!!)

The bad news? I work 10 hours today, and after 10 hours on my feet I'm not sure I'll want to exercise when I get home...but I'm going to push myself and make myself walk at least 30 minutes with the dog, that'll be a nice quiet day!

Apple, If you stayed within your calorie goal then I say it's really not a big deal to have a beer once in awhile!! (I stayed within with my pizza last night, so I don't feel guilty at all!) As for your shirt, don't take it to the good will, save it, take a photo of you in it after losing weight and compare how amazing you look, to how you looked in teh original!

Red, totally understandable! You're doing some awesome things with that challange :) Definately have my butt in gear!

Jolly, Get it out! You need to vent somewhere, so feel free to do it here! If you're not pigging out on junk food, then you've made excellent steps in the right direction :) Pat yourself on the back for that!!

jollygirl
07-31-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks Legal. You're awesome! And congrats on the loss. Consider my back patted.

We all have to remember to keep that perspective, I think. From the sounds of things, I am not the only one who thinks I need to be "perfect" at this weight loss effort, or gets down on myself for choices that aren't the healthiest. thanks for the reminder.

Have a great night all.

LegallyBrunette
07-31-2005, 11:39 PM
Jolly, I'm horrible on myself when I have an imperfect day (so every day :lol: )

Apple Blossom
08-01-2005, 02:15 AM
:(
Breakfast was OK, and I just had fruit for lunch and swam 6 laps at the pool, but then I fell apart at dinner. I had my Mom over so there was more on the table than there would have been. Not a total loss, since I didn't OVER eat, but like you guys said, I'm being hard on myself. Tomorrow I am going to visit a friend, so dinner will be a challenge again, but after today I will have to behave!!! :p
See you tomorrow!

LegallyBrunette
08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Apple, I'm sure oyu didn't do too badly ;) If you just stick with it the rest of the week I'm sure you'll be fine!! I usually allow myself 2 big meals to just slip up, (and sometimes it's more than just 2) and I make sure to do extra cardio that day or the following day!

jollygirl
08-01-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey y'all - come find us on the "Back to Basics - August" thread. We have started over for the new month.

See you there.

redballoon
08-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62620