Old 06-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #1  

Default How often do you change routines?

I've been doing low-carbness for about year now, walking 3-5 miles a day and doing weights about 3-5 times a week. I'm back at a plateau -- but it's getting hard motivationally to get back to basics and get tougher, so I think it's because I'm bored with my current routine. How often do you change diet/meal plans? How often do you switch up your exercise routine? Any suggestions? I don't want to just abandon my routine for no good reason -- it's been working. But I also don't want to get stuck if I need to change to get to my ultimate goal.

many thanks,

Last edited by Keillynsmom; 06-29-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:16 PM   #2  

Funny you should ask this -- I was wondering the same thing. Today is my 1-year anniversary doing low-carb and the weightloss has sure slowed down.

I'm sure it would not hurt at all to mix up your exercise a bit -- Covert Bailey always said you should do different things because your body gets used to the same old thing. I don't think that means abandoning what you've been doing, but perhaps substitute something for one or two of the days of walking.

Covert Bailey also suggests "wind sprints" where you throw in some jogging or running while you're walking. That's now referred to as "HIIT" -- high intensity interval training. I do it on my treadmill -- I'll walk at 3.5 mph for .15 of a mile and power walk/jog at 4.5 mph for .1 mile, and then repeat for 2 to 3 miles. I'm amazed at how much more invigorated I feel after doing that, and it burns more calories too.

How many net carbs do you typically eat? I know that many low-carbers find that by increasing their net carbs a little bit actually jumpstarts their weightloss again. I've been averaging about 55 net carbs lately and am thinking I need to do the opposite -- cut them back down a bit.

BTW, Barbara -- you have done amazing. Good luck with all of your efforts (and I'm sure you're anxious to be able to break the 100 pounds lost mark). I'm also only 3 pounds from my next milestone of 50 pounds (but it's taking forever).
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:28 PM   #3  
Black Belt In Training

S/C/G: 289/243/160

Height: 5' 7"

I vary my workouts. I do the same video everyday until I get bored than switch to a different videos until I get bored with that one then change again.
I've read that if you do the same exercises in the same order your body gets more efficient at doing them and will burn less calories doing them so it is good for you to change your exercise routine often. Maybe you could just change the route you take or try speed walking or altenating jogging and walking, if you're comfortable with that. Try some new exercises to do with your weights to mix it up even more. For example maybe try an exercise ball if you don't have one already? Neat thing about doing weigh lifting exercises on the ball is it works other parts of your body at the same time because you have to work a bit to keep your balance.
Hope this helps!
Hey look at that, only 3 pounds until you reach 100 lbs gone! You rock!
taekwondomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:06 PM   #4  

As some of you may have red a few months ago, I was dieting using meal replacement shakes (Boost types) I realized after a couple of weeks that even though you can loose a lot of weight pretty fast, this is not the best way as you do not get enough nutrients and tend to get week. I therefore alternate; I do 3 or 4 weeks on Meal replacement shakes (Still eating one solid meal a day however) and 5 or 6 weeks, eating normally. Once I reach 225-230 I’ll completely stop this routine as I will be very close to my objective (205-210).

As for the training, it is based on the season: In the winter, is do a lot of Cross-country ski and snow showing. In the summer, it’s Bicycle and Hiking. On top of that, I also do laps at the pool once or twice a week.

Variety is the spice of life!!!!
frenchiepolarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #5  
Jennifer

I have a lot to say about this subject, but I don't have time to write now (I have a deadline, which begs the question of why I've been on here at all today - ha!). BUT... if you didn't already see this article Meg the Superfabulous Maintainer posted, it's definitely worth a read (apropos of what Frenchie said. Variety! Fun! Working out! (Whoa - did Jen just use those words in the same sentence? Who is this person? )

Anyway, here's the link: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60307
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 PM   #6  

I have an eight week cycle. I exercise and eat healthily for eight weeks, then get measured and then have a week off. On the week off I have to keep up the same level of exercise, I still eat healthy meals, but two meals in that week are a treat, and I allow myself a few extras, like a piece of cake or a chocolate bar. I aim to keep at maintenance level for this week, and then start again. The first couple of days after "maintenance week" are a bit hard, but then it becomes easier again.

So every eight weeks I review my eating plan and exercise and change it up. This past eight week cycle I have been doing weight training, in the next cycle I am going to vary my cardio and add stepper and rower and do more hiking at weekends. The beauty is, the cycle fits in with the seasons and the changes in produce, so it's easy to change what I eat.

I was dubious about the maintenance week, but my trainer thought that because I had so much weight to lose, I would find it hard to deny myself nice things all the time, and so far it's worked brilliantly. In 24 weeks I have lost 42 pounds, even with two full weeks off!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 07:37 AM   #7  

Thanks for the comments and the congrats -- the being so close to 100 lbs is killing me and I keep self-sabotaging so I'm trying to figure out how I can change things to make it to that milestone.

Nancy, I'm trying to keep under 40 grams and doing that but not keep it lower calorie as well. I wonder if shifting to South Beach or shifting completely off for a while to a low calorie/low fat diet then coming back to low carb would shake things up?

(BTW, congrats on the new belt TKDMom!)

Jennifer, I like the idea of exercise being fun (and I LOVE Krista's website) and one of my goals for weight loss is to be able to go make to do things I thought was great fun when I was younger (I was a third level brown in Aikido and I used to love heavy weapons fighting -- take a look at www.sca.org) but right now...moving is hard. It's the means to the end (the end being alive for my kids graduation, being able to go back to aikido and fighting, stuff like that) and I know I have to move my attitude to moving/exercising being enjoyable in and of themselves. Just not there yet and not quite sure how to get there except by sheer repetition.

Kykaree, I like the 8 week cycle idea with a week for evaluation and change up. Have to look into that. The last Women's M&F had some interesting 8 and 12 week programs that might fit into that nicely.
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 10:54 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keillynsmom
Nancy, I'm trying to keep under 40 grams and doing that but not keep it lower calorie as well. I wonder if shifting to South Beach or shifting completely off for a while to a low calorie/low fat diet then coming back to low carb would shake things up?
Switching up the eating works for some people. The Curves folks believe that when you are stalled, you should do a "metabolic tune-up". Others believe in chowing down on carbs for a few days to shake things up.

I'm always afraid that it will reawaken the cravings to the point that I won't be able to get back on Atkins. I went off Atkins for 2 weeks last fall for a trip to Italy (I just knew that I wouldn't be able to pass up the pasta, bread and gelato.) I had myself totally psyched up to get strict again as soon as my plane landed in the U.S. -- which I did. However I did gain 5 pounds during those 2 weeks. Luckily it only took 1 week to lose the 5 pounds (mostly water I'm assuming). Then my weightloss was pretty steady, but slow (a half pound a week). Maybe I did a modified "metabolic tune-up" when I went to Italy.

I've also thought about switching to lower-fat version of low-carb. I think I need to boost my cardio exercise a bit more to speed things up again. I am going on a 12-day cruise in September and have a 5-day theater and shopping spree in Manhattan planned for early October. Until then, I plan to stick with my current eating plan -- even if I only lose a couple pounds a month. And if I'm lucky, the cruise will kickstart things again for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote