General Diet Plans and Questions - Body for Life #5

View Full Version : Body for Life #5

susanje
06-04-2001, 10:37 AM
Our Introductory Material.

Check this post for general information about:
1. Body for Life (what it is and how it works).
2. BFL links (Please let me know if you have more!) and
3. a short critique by Mrs. Jim at the end of her week 3

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details):
six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement.
Recommended grams per day: divide lean body weight by 6 and that is how much carbs/protein you should have at each meal but it tends to correspond to your palm (protein) and fist (carbs). Add green veggies to 2 meals per day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many options but few (other than creatine) that is standard fare.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 47-60 minutes intense (using supersetting and drop sets) weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days.

20 minutes intense interval cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Body for life Links

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recre...ing/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

From BFL #3 Thread: Mrs. Jim's critique at the end of Week 3

Woo! Today's end of Week 3...
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

susanje
06-04-2001, 10:41 AM
Reply to MsLiz from Body for Life #4

Yes, I do believe that both undereating and overeating can be a problem on BFL which is why I started to really measure how much protein I should have and how many carbs. I'm going with 1 gram per lean body weight (even though I'm guessing at that right now since I haven't had my body fat measured lately).

I had to weigh and measure what is what.

I also steer clear of high glycemic carbs. I try to only eat bread every other day or so. I stick to potatoes, sweet potatoes, steel cut oats and veggies and fruits.

off to do cardio!!!!!! (my nemesis)

Susan

MsLiz1956
06-04-2001, 11:35 AM
Susanj - I had to laugh when I read your sign-off at the end of your post! Sometimes I feel like a betrayer of our gender because I HATE cardio! My trainer makes fun of me because I'm "like one of the guys" when it comes to my workouts - forget the cardio crap - gimme them weights!!!!! :lol:

I don't know if I'll ever grow to like cardio, but I can at least tolerate it for 20 minutes at a time! Thank God for the short HIIT routines, or I still wouldn't be doing cardio! ;)

MrsJim
06-04-2001, 02:12 PM
...AND my first post on the 'revved-up' boards!

Susan - my problem (in fact just happened) is missing Meals #2 and #4. This morning, I was caught up in a webpage project here at work and totally missed 9:30 when I trot downstairs for my cut fruit and cottage cheese. They open again at 11:15 though so I'll be toddling off pretty soon.

Jim and I had another fantastic Sunday! First off, weighing in and finding I lost two and a half pounds this week was a major upper (not that I needed one - I'm feeling fantastic!). Then we had a great breakfast and went off to the Jack Tone Ranch's 'Open Barn' event. The horses were BEAUTIFUL and everyone there was so friendly - and it was gorgeous out - not hot like Stockton usually is, but around 80-85 degrees.

I wasn't even hungry all day - actually we had planned to go to this burger place in Tracy on the way home but found out they were closed on Sundays. Darn! So I settled for a burrito from my favorite taqueria when we got back home. Oh well.

I'm now at the beginning of Week 7 and really looking forward to week 12 and the end results of my first BFL Challenge! See you gals later.

susanje
06-04-2001, 06:47 PM
Hello ladies,

I finally got new batteries for my digital camera and am going to be courageous and post my ten week pix here. My camera died right after I took these a few days ago and I didn't get a chance to download them. I posted them on Lean and Strong so I might as well post em here. :D since you guys are so supportive to me!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://home.att.net/~s_j_e/bflweek10.htm

2BFIT1
06-04-2001, 08:35 PM
Susan~What a brave soul you are to put your pics online!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My husband took my pics last weekend put I need to complete the roll of film first. I don't have a digital camera:( But we will see if I can be as brave as you are. I was amazed to see such great results on you in such a short period of time. You go girl:)
I'm in the middle of wk #3 and feel great . I'm also trying to learn the best food combos by using fitday.com It really does help to see the whole picture of protein & carbs.
I ordered some Phen-Free and Myoplex lite bars off of vitaglo.com They have the best prices and no shipping costs for orders over $20.
Thanks for being here. I've learned alot from everybody. Well, off to check in on iVillage.
See ya~Sil:smug:

susanje
06-04-2001, 09:03 PM
Thank you Sil. I am one of those "I"m not having any progress" kind of people. I really feel, half the time, as if I haven't lost an inch (I've lost about 12 overall). I posted them to check my reality (Or lack thereof) against other peoples. I also want to do the lifting poses and stuff for my after week 12 pix so I thought I'd just throw these up in the meantime (I hope to have more progress at the end). I tend to not see any progress so I posted to get feedback that there has been some (and I'm not fishing for false compliments, I really have horrid body perception) When I see the now pictures all I can see is how much MORE I have to do!!!! And I had been on WW and working at the gym for 2 months before starting BFL so you can imagine the mess I was in January.

I do forgive myself because most of my weight is post quit smoking weight and I really couldn't deal with the weight until I had the no-smoking under control and it was 3 years on March 13 and I started BFL on the 26th of March. So now I am on the road back to leanness only this time without the cigarettes.

:) Thanks for letting me share! Susan

MrsJim
06-05-2001, 12:51 AM
You look like you're doing well on BFL - hope I do so well! I really feel terrific!

Sil - I first ordered a bunch of Myoplex from www.saveonsupplements.com thinking they were the cheapest, then found that www.netrition.com was a few bucks cheaper so ordered from them too.

THEN I found vitaglo.com (Somebody has an EAS Price Finder link on L&S board - found 'em there). So, I have an order coming from Netrition and one from Vitaglo both due in the next couple of days. That's four 42-serving boxes total of Myoplex Lite and a 90-serving container of BetaGen, plus a box of Toffee Crunch Myoplex Lite Bars. Netrition does give 'incentive' gifts if you order more than a certain amount at once - so I'm getting free bodyfat calipers and an envelope of Labrada Lean Body to keep in case of emergency. VitaGlo, so far, has the best prices - $1.16 per serving for Myoplex Lite is very inexpensive - and we'll use it all - Jim likes a Myoplex in the morning himself!

I found that Trader Joe's sells Myoplex Lite bars for $1.19 each but they only have the Dutch Apple flavor. I bought about five to keep in my desk for those times I forget to have breakfast or (more exactly) for 4:00 p.m.

Well, time to hit the hay! See ya!

susanje
06-05-2001, 01:14 AM
Thanks Mrs Jim! I really have been feeling not so successful. I was hoping for "more" by this time but I had a few weeks where I was less than 100% (one week sick, one week gym change, two weeks finals) so I just feel good that I stayed the course as much as I did. Like Bill Phillips says "Fail Fast". I try not to fail but if I do, I just get right back up and keep going. I really like that philosophy. Fail fast, be done with it and go right back to where you were. I used to always linger in failure. Like if I started a diet on Monday and "cheated" on Wednesday, I'd have to eat junk until Monday when I would try again. I failed slow........all the time. However, I am really hoping that in my next challenge I will do even better!

On supplements:
I think that vitaglo has Designer Protein Absberry Smoothie or something like that. It's very good and cheaper than Met Rx Berry Blast. I use these for my "berry" drinks. I got the netrition shaker cup and I use it for my water for the gym. It's a nice wide mouth so I can put ice in it.

My day and missing a meal:
This morning I did my cardio and rushed off. Usually I DIE trying to not eat for an hour but this morning I did my cardio at 7:45 to 8:10, jumped in the shower and dressed. Was out of the house by 9 and didn't come back until 11 so I had meals 1 and 2 together which was a full packet of Orange Jubilee Myoplex and an orange. For the rest of the day I tried to schedule my meals every 3 hours but sometimes it's tough!

tomorrow I am scheduled to have lunch with a friend. We've decided on salads. I guess I'll have a broiled chicken on lettuce type thing. So I will get up, go to the gym and come home and shower and go have lunch with her.

goodnight.
Susan

MsLiz1956
06-05-2001, 08:25 AM
Susan, you look awesome! I know it's sometimes hard to see the changes when it's your own body, but us "outsiders" can see the changes! And that's only 10 weeks! Imagine what you'll look like in the future! I'm really excited for you!!!

I have to admit, when I saw the picture my trainer took of me in April (the one on my website) I thought it was a trick. My initial thought was that she had put my head on someone else's body! :lol: She now makes me work out in front of the mirrors without my usual long-sleeve T-shirt so that I can see the muscles working when I lift. It's like watching someone else's body!

Sil - c'mon, gal, ante up those pix!! The place where you get them developed can probably have them saved in a .jpg or .gif (digital picture) format so you can upload them onto a website. We'll keep bugging you until you do!! ;)

MrsJim - you're more than halfway through - how does that feel?! Don't skip meals, gal - you'll slow your progress.

I see my doctor this afternoon...pray for me for better news this time. I'm so frustrated at not being able to get through a workout!! :mad:

Later, ladies!!

2BFIT1
06-05-2001, 09:01 AM
Liz~~~I saw your post on L&S about not being able to keep any food down but then you said that you were doing better. What's going on? What's this about not being able to complete a WO? I hope you are feeling better and the doc can tell you some good news. Keep us posted, OK?
Maybe this will make you feel better......

MrsJim
06-05-2001, 09:41 AM
I went into my Outlook calendar at work and put in reminders for the next five weeks, so every workday at 9:30 and 3:30 Office Assistant Kitty will pop up to remind me to eat something! That should work - my problem is losing track of time when I'm in the middle of a big project.

Week 7 and I feel great! I started taking CytoVol (glutamine, mostly) last week - maybe that's the reason I'm not very sore anymore the day after a LBWO or UBWO. I really am working to failure - actually I kind of miss the soreness...I've also started doing Ab Boot Camp on cardio days (yeah, I know I'm not supposed to be doing that until Week 9, but what the heck).

Right now at work I've got my regular council meeting coming up that I have to organize - also I'm working on a website on our company's intranet and that takes a great deal of time since I'm working with our web developers to get everything together. In addition to that, I've got next year's department budget to think about so I'm a very busy gal! I really enjoy it though.

See y'all later! Take care.

MsLiz1956
06-05-2001, 10:41 AM
Sil~~ Thanks, Sweetie! (((Hugs))) I belive that's another Liz at L&S. I used to be a regular poster there, but I haven't been able to get on the site for quite a while. This doggone thyroid disorder is kicking into high gear for some reason, leading to horrid exhaustion and a troublesome heart rate. Either I'm below my target zone, or it goes shooting way up into near-cardiac distress. Makes it rather difficult to do my aerobic HIITs! It's not dangerous, just a seriously aggravating inconvenience!! I'm trying to convince my doc to tweak my meds, and so far am meeting resistance. Last month I asked her for a specific treatment, and she wouldn't agree to it. She gave me something else instead, saying if this didn't work we'd do it my way. Well, today should be "my way" day!

MrsJim - great idea with Outlook! :D And good luck with Ab Bootcamp - it's a KILLER!!!! Are you a WebWoman? I'm SOOOO impressed! I'm trying to teach myself HTML; so far, so good. It's a reward to myself for reaching one of my goals. (How nuts is THAT?!?!?) :cool:

2BFIT1
06-05-2001, 04:25 PM
Liz~~Don't mind me, I'm just confused:?: Sometimes I jump from one site to another and forget where I read something (3FC's, iVillage, L&S,BFL,etc). I hope you get the thyroid thing under balance;)
I've been trying different foods for my carb portions and lately have become addicted to black beans with salsa. It serves as a carb but also has high protein. I had some today with a piece of Mahi Mahi:cool: Does anybody have any suggestions other than pasta and potatoes?
This morning I had a Myoplex shake but put half of it in the freezer. When I came home from running errands in the heat and humidity of Georgia, the frozen shake was a sheer pleasure!
~~~Sil
137/124/120

2BFIT1
06-05-2001, 09:13 PM
Just tried 2 new things today and want to share.
~~~Vanilla Myoplex mixed with diet root beer and placed in the freezer for awhile is wonderful (thanks MrsJim for the idea):D
~~~Pureed non-fat cottage cheese w/Mrs.Dash is great on top of a baked potato instead of sour cream And you get the added protein, also:cool:

Tomorrow is the last day of week 3! I can do this!
~~~~Sil :smug:

AmyMeinSoCal
06-05-2001, 09:25 PM
Hi there,
I just found this site, someone had mentioned
it over at leanandstrong.com. I just finished
my 1st challenge and I am sooooooooooo
frustrated. I followed the program to a "t"
for the first 10 weeks, but seeing no
improvement, no inches lost, just more defined
biceps...I started to spiral downwards. I
don't know what I did wrong... I have had
an eating disorder for many years and thought
that BFL was the answer to my problem.
I'm going to start a new challenge, I was
thinking of cutting my carbs at the last
two meals. I've also cut dairy and bread.
I added 20 minutes of moderate cardio to
my 20MAS. Nothing has helped. I'm so
frustrated...Ever since I started the pill,
I've gained 10lbs that I can't lose.. Do you
think the pill is the problem???
Sorry for rambling, I'm just kind of sad!!
Thanks for listening!

2BFIT1
06-06-2001, 08:25 AM
Welcome to our thread! I'm new to the BFL program. I'm just finishing week 3 of my first challenge. But I am sure that someone here can answer your questions. Another site to try is at www.iVillage.com . MzLiz moderates a BFL site over there and I have found lots of info there. I have it bookmarked so I can't remember the exact place to find the board but check the last thread here called "Body for Life#4". She has a post under there where she lists the link. She also posts here so I'm sure that she will respond to you. She is in her 2nd challenge and you should see her pics~WOW!!
Have you tried using the site at fitday.com? It has been very helpful to me to be able to see the exact percentages of the carbs/prot/fat that I'm eating. This has helped me to be able to find foods that fit the BFL but have lower carbs. I'm trying to keep a balance between carb and prot, with alittle less on the carbs.

Well, today is my last day of week 3. I weighed myself today and I lost 2 pounds this week. My husband says he sees a change (but he loves me and he will say anything:lol: )
Tomorrow is free day (FD) but I won't go over board. I am craving veggie pizza and a greek salad, and I haven't had any microwaved popcorn (94%FF) in weeks. I know that I'm supposed to eat on the FD but I am afraid to ruin what I have accomplished so far. And I know that TOM is around the corner, so I can count on a 2-5# water weight gain then:(
I have been doing my aerobic and abs WO on the FD also. Any other suggestions, gals?
~~~Sil
137/123/120

MsLiz1956
06-06-2001, 09:23 AM
Amy~~Don't give up yet! There could be a number of things that have gone wrong. Are you sure you've been maxing out on your workouts? BFL is all about intensity; if you aren't hitting those 10s, you won't get the full benefit of the training.

The most common mistakes people make are in the nutritional choices. It's VERY easy to miscalculate a "portion" size. For a typical female, a "portion" of protein is only 3-4 ounces! BFL or not, there's a basic unalterable rule in the universe - if you eat more calories than you burn off, you'll gain weight. Period. For most of us, the problem lies with how efficiently our bodies burn the calories, not how many calories we're eating.

One of the worst thing you can do is start to overbalance protein to carbs. That can throw your body into a state of ketosis (bad news). If you don't have sufficient carbs to "fuel the burn," your body will resort to raiding muscle tissue instead of fat because it's easier.

One thing I'd suggest is to skip the "starchy carb" portion and replace it with two healthy portions (about a cup per portion) of veggies and/or fruit. Starchy carbs are high-sugar foods like potatoes, legumes (like peas and dried beans), corn, and grains. Eliminate all refined, processed food products like breads, cereals, etc. See if that doesn't do the trick.

If you've had an eating disorder, it's quite possible that you've really damaged your body's normal functioning. Things like blood sugar, electrolytes, enzymes, and metabolic hormones like thyroid and insulin can be significantly impacted by sustained periods of unhealthy eating habits. Medications and birth control pills can add to the problem. I'd suggest having a complete physical that includes a body chemistry profile, especially thyroid.

That's the practical experience I can contribute. Now for the larger issue. Forgive me if I overstep your initial expectations, but you DID solicit input, and I'll honor that request truthfully.

You say "you've had" an eating disorder, leaving open the question as to whether you're still engaging in disordered eating. If that's still a problem for you, "doing a program" like BFL won't solve the problem like you'd hoped. In fact, you'd probably find BFL more frustrating than anything, because the goals of BFL have to do with wholistic fitness and overall wellbeing, not just losing weight. Although there's an emphasis on short-term goals for the sake of motivation, BFL is "Body for LIFE," not "Body in 12 Weeks."

BFL is not a magic cure. It can certainly help you regain control of your life and health - once that truly becomes your goal - but I'd strongly encourage you to go after the problem itself rather than just attempting to modify the symptoms with another "program." There are plenty of compassionate, competent practitioners who specialize in the treatment of eating disorders.

Good luck - I wish you the best of health!

MsLiz1956
06-06-2001, 09:36 AM
You can visit my website by clicking on the "homepage" link in the upper right of this posting page. I have a couple articles I've written on "Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss" and "Keys to Fitness Success," as well as the results from my first 2 BFL challenges.

Thanks for the plug, Sil!!! ;)

MrsJim
06-06-2001, 09:42 AM
Liz is absolutely correct in saying that BFL isn't a 'magic' cure (none exists as far as weight loss - despite what all those ads for pills, shakes, etc. say, there is no 'easy' way to lose weight).

BFL is hard work - but if you follow it correctly, the rewards are rich - your appearance, health and attitude will all improve.

The first couple of weeks I wasn't seeing all that much progress, but I 'tweaked' my eating a bit - eliminated bread and flour products - and it really works! I was buying those La Tortilla Low-Carb whole wheat tortillas which are only 60 calories but I was munching on them constantly. I decided to stop buying them and only have bread products on my free day, and it seems to be working. Again, since I have a free day each week to look forward to, this makes it easier to stick to program.

Well, the Outlook Office Assistant really helped me yesterday! If if wasn't for the kitty's mew, I wouldn't have made it down to the cafeteria on time (they close at 10:00 a.m. and don't reopen until 11:15 a.m. for lunch). Yesterday I received a huge box with three 42-serving cases of Myoplex Lite, 90 servings of Betagen and my free fat-measuring calipers. Today I'm expecting ANOTHER box with a 42-serving case of Myoplex Lite and some bars. So I'm set for awhile...at a $1.16 a serving it's not like I'm going broke or anything.

Now all I have to do is get Jim to join me for Challenge #2. I'm hoping that once he sees my 12-week results, that will encourage him to do it as well! Only problem is that he HATES the gym. I'm a total gym rat - I go every morning and love it! BTW, I do a cardio workout and abs on my free day as well but I don't do the 20-minute HIIT workout - I just keep my heart rate between 60%-75% of my max for about 40 minutes - just a jog really.

Jim and I have our trip to Yosemite coming up at the end of my Week 12 so I'll be missing a couple of days at the end there, but I'll be starting the BFL Challenge again when we get back on Monday 16 July! Yee haw! See ya!

susanje
06-06-2001, 01:13 PM
Good morning ladies,

I am done with cardio--hit my 10s today! took the shaggy dog to the groomer for a summer hair cut (he goes out looking like a dog and comes home looking like a large rat) and am now enjoying my a.m. myoplex. Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh.

I'm enjoying everyone's posts and the participation on this site. Everyone is doing so well!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll write more later. I have a busy day ahead of me.

Susan

http://home.att.net/~s_j_e/bflweek10.htm

MsLiz1956
06-06-2001, 02:40 PM
Susan~~You GO, girl! WaHooo! Don't those 10s feel great?!

MrsJ~~Isn't it just the pits that there ISN'T a magic cure?! Of course, we'd ignore it anyway, so I guess it doesn't make much difference! I'm glad the Kitty worked for you! I've thought about setting mine to remind me to do my workouts! I've been doing them earlier and I'm finding that the time flies so quickly in the morning that I'm behind schedule before I know it!

Sil~~Congrats on the weight loss! That's pretty significant, seeing as how you're building muscle mass, which actually ADDS weight! Did you get bodyfat measurements done when you started?

2BFIT1
06-06-2001, 07:54 PM
Liz, I have calipers at home so i did it myself, with my husbands help, and used 2 different methods according to the hussman site. I did the math and also plugged in the numbers to have the site automatically figure it out. It ranged from 18.8%-19.2% but I just don't think it's accurate. (thought it would be more ) I am 5' 2.5" and weighed 125 when I took the measurements. My weight problem areas are my hip-to-thigh area, my upper body is trim.
I really didn't want to get involved with numbers because I am already so hooked on what the scale says. I'll just go by how my clothes fit and what I see in the mirror;) I want to lose the fat in my thighs and tone my entire body. That's not too much to ask, is it? :D

susanje
06-08-2001, 11:57 AM
Hi everyone,

I had killer LBWO yesterday and this morning could barely move on the elliptical. After 5 futile minutes I popped in a Tae Bo tape instead. I still had some leg pain but not as severe and I think I got a good cardio workout from the Tae Bo. Plus, I notice he does a lot of interval techniques (speed up/slow down).

I also bought my first size 14 shorts yesterday. I was an 18 when I started in January and a borderline 16/18 (tight 16/loose 18) when I started BFL the end of March. I've gotten into a few 14s (bathing suit, one or two jeans) but when I did the Bay to Breakers a month ago the shorts I bought for it were a 16. Yesterday I bought 3 pair, 3 different manufacturers and they all were a 14 so I guess that is my size now. Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! I also got on the scale for the first time this week and can't believe I've dropped 12 lbs of scale weight in 12 weeks. I was told that weight loss wouldn't happen easily because of the weight training. I was not expecting a loss yet alone such a big one. So it's 12 inches and 12 lbs in 11 weeks and my body fat has decreased 6%. Not too shabby. :) I'll TAKE IT.

how is everyone doing????????????
Susan

MrsJim
06-08-2001, 01:17 PM
Susan and all - I'm doing GREAT!!! :p Have you tried taking glutamine, since I've started using it my soreness has not been so prevalant - actually I happen to enjoy the sore feeling the next day - reminds me of my purpose (around the many candy jars here at work).

Each workout seems to be better and better. Today is a gorgeous day around here - promises to last the weekend for a change...Jim and I already have some bike-rides planned - even though we'd also like to go back to the Jack Tone Ranch but we don't want to wear out our welcome.

After talking to my boss, I'm going to look into taking English riding lessons (along with Jim if we can get a package deal somewhere). I went to horse camp when I was a kid and learned Western but haven't ridden in 20 years. My boss has been taking lessons twice a week since the beginning of the year after she decided to book a horseback vacation for summer of 2002, and she is really enjoying it! I'd LOVE to start riding again, and it would be even more fun if Jim took lessons with me.

As far as body fat, well I have the calipers but haven't used them as yet - going to wait until Sunday (my measurement day before Free Day). I rely more on the way my clothes fit and the complements I've been receiving the past few weeks. I've only been measuring my hips and waist - waist has not changed much but I'm pretty small waisted anyway - lost about an inch from my hips (that's where the stubborn fat is - there and my thighs). According to the Hussman site the thigh area for women is the hardest place to lose bodyfat - he said there is no noticeable thigh fat loss until BF is down around 18%. I KNOW my legs are getting thinner though because my jeans are loosening up!

Today is Casual Friday (actually we're pretty casual here anyway) so I decided on a whim to wear my Caruska 'clouds' t-shirt that I was saving until after the Challenge. (I'm waiting til then to wear the white matching shorts). I do have to hold my tummy in while I'm walking but I feel so great! I'm really looking forward to the second week of July - end of Challenge #1 AND our trip to Yosemite - already have a bikini wax scheduled for that week!

2BFIT1
06-08-2001, 01:29 PM
Susan and MrsJim~~~You are both doing so great on your programs. I just hope that I do as well.You both are a great help to my efforts. Thanks and keep up the great work(outs):lol:
~~~Sil

MrsJim
06-09-2001, 10:05 PM
Week 7 is officially over for me today - five weeks to go! But it's not like I'm suffering or anything - far from it!

For the first time since they were developed, I took by "before" pictures (taken around April 23rd when I started the BFL challenge) and showed them to Jim and our neighbors. It is SO obvious, even after just 7 weeks, that my body composition has changed - next week Jim will take my 8-week progress photos and I plan to post all on Lean & Strong - then my 12-week photos as well when the time comes.

I'm amazed that I was (as of last Sunday) a scant 6 1/2 pounds from my goal weight! I should say, 'initial goal weight'. I am already making plans to begin the Challenge again after we return from our long Yosemite weekend at the end of week 12. We get back on Sunday night - I'll start with Week 1 the next day. What is really amazing to me is that not only do I feel terrific, but I'm not feeling deprived or hungry at all (except in the morning after my workout).

Last week, my order from Netrition came and with it a free set of bodyfat calipers. I carefully measured myself according to the instructions at www.hussman.com/eas and was pleasantly surprised to see that my bodyfat is apporoximately 22.9% - I thought I was around 29%. My goal of 18% bodyfat seems very approachable!

Free Day is so much of a help - anytime anything IS calling to me a bit (example - my neighbor's homemade guacamole and chips) I just say, wait until Sunday. It's fun going out and eating things that I haven't had in eons - like waffles or pancakes. Haven't had either really since I was a kid. I make an effort on Free Day NOT to hang around the house all day - we always do something fun outside the house, like go bike riding or drive out somewhere. And I ALWAYS do some cardio on Sunday - not HIIT but I keep my HR between 125-155, breaking a bit of a sweat and waking me up for the day! By the time Free Day is over, though, I'm stuffed and I wake up Monday with a new resolve and a positive attitude. You will not believe how much the Free Day helps me in staying with the clean/authorized foods!

To top it off I usually eat the same thing every other day anyway ('variety is the spice of overeating'). As long as it's balanced, there's nothing wrong with eating the same thing everyday. And I do eat different fruits and veggies all the time. The Free Day allows me to inject some variety into my week. Love it!

Today Jim and I went on a three-hour bike ride - we had a tailwind going out and a headwind coming back - made for a good workout!

susanje
06-09-2001, 10:47 PM
Me too! Wait until Sunday!!!!!!!! I'm always so bored with food by Saturday--I love free day.

End of WEEK ELEVEN. Coming into the home stretch!!!!!!!!!!! I'm already thinking of how I am going to tweak my program for Challenge 2.

Today I did swiss ball exercises and got sick but I think it's a good workout so I want to continue getting used to it.

I raked the yard, I did UBWO and then I swam. What a nice pool at the gym.

I have so much damn energy on BFL and today my husband said he cannot believe how my mood and disposition is so even since I've been on BFL.

Hopefully I will calm down. Last night I couldn't sleep. It was past midnight and I'd been up since 6 am.

:-)
How are you doing Sil????????????? Ms Liz? Anyone else?

MrsJim
06-09-2001, 11:37 PM
Kinda sounds like Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" when he has the pizza delivered in class - "Learning about Cuba, and havin' some food!" That's my favorite Sean Penn role!

Amazing how easy this plan has been for the most part - BFL really fits the bill for me because (like most of us I'm sure!) I really like eating a lot. Having six meals a day basically means I'm never more than two or three hours away from a meal. The hardest day is Saturday when I'm off schedule - but even that's not bad!

And I love the Myoplex Lite. I just had my Vanilla Creme Myoplex Lite mixed with a Diet Coke for a Coke Float flavor, in a blender with some ice (I get the store ice that comes in little cubes rather than the big cubes or tray cubes. Most of the time I make mine with just water and ice and a serving of Betagen - haven't tried the recipes yet - I have to remember to get a package of sugar free instant pudding mix so I can make the Myoplex pudding! Jim is in the habit of having a Myoplex in the morning but he likes his with milk. It fills him up in the morning - he really doesn't like to eat solid food until later in the a.m. - say 9:00 or so. Myoplex really helps relieve any need for something sweet and it's got a lot of really good stuff in it - no sugar and it comes out really thick which I love! I'd better love it - I've got 168 servings stored in my garage!!! At $1.13 a serving could not pass it up...

Now the BARS are another thing. I tried freezing one and it got really hard and next to impossible to bite into or break - next time I'll cut it in pieces and put it in a Baggie before freezing it, then I can just pop the bits in my mouth. The Myoplex Lite ones are high in carbs but they ARE handy to have for my 4 pm meal along with a lot of water. Next time I think I'll get the low-carb ones.

Tomorrow I weigh myself but I know I lost body fat even if the scale doesn't budge - my clothes fit quite a bit looser this week. I've been getting some of that 'jiggly fat' on my lower tummy which means the fat cells are getting empty - according to some of the L&S experts, this means terrific things are happening!

I was chatting with one of our neighbors (the one who made the guacamole - but she didn't try to force it on me or anything) and she noticed a muscle popping out of my arm! She pointed out the definition line on my arm - I think it was the tricep. I didn't really notice it myself until now! WOO!

Well, I'm going to take a nice long bath and read a book...take care all!

2BFIT1
06-10-2001, 07:58 AM
Susan and MrsJim~~~You ladies are are incredible! You have given me so much motivation :just want you to know that.

Susan~~~Congratulations on making it to the home stretch. I'm cheering for you. Can't wait to see your pics. The last ones that you posted showed SO MUCH progress.

MrsJim~~~Today I'm trying the recipe you posted yesterday on L&S.Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm looking forward o seeing your progress pics also. I have noticed that mixing the Myoplex shakes with FF milk seems to make it thicker than with water. Yesterday I mixed Vanilla Cream w/water and added alittle FF/SF Banana cream instant pudding (and ice).It made a thick,banana flavored shake without the extra carbs of adding 1/2 banana. :cool:
My husband brought home 2 boxes of Myoplex Lite Bars that he got at Galyans(sports store). If you bought more than 10,they only cost .99cents. But he got 24 bars for only $21.00:)
I also ordered 2 boxes of the Low-Carb Myoplex bars and they should arrive on Tues. I have had the Lemon Cheesecake before and they were not bad at all,especially for only 3 carbs! The bars are a life-saver when you are very busy or on the run. I'll keep some in my locker at work and in my purse.
I saw the posts regarding "jiggly fat" and it finally explained why I've noticed more "jiggle" since I lost the weight with WW and started BFL. Thank God there's an explaination for it because I couldn't understand why I jiggle more now than before .
We can't turn back now ladies or we will be stuck in Jiggle Land:lol:
Well, gotta go do my UBWO so that I can sit down to breakfast.
Have a great weekend and enjoy your free day.~~~Sil

susanje
06-10-2001, 10:54 AM
Good morning ladies,

Sil, I hear ya about not going back. I was thinking about that this morning because I just have so much energy on BFL. In the first four weeks I had a terrible time doing six meals, finding MRPs that I like (I have given up on bars completely but have a box for emergencies). The first two weeks I was hungry all the time (Now I have to FORCE myself to eat and I never think about food). And I didn't see any inches or pounds come off until the end of week six, almost week 7. Now I see progress each and every day. Someone told me that they didn't really "take off" until week 11 and I think I'm one of those people. I just love the way I feel. I love how my love affair/obsession with food has ended (it was a bad relationship anyway :)) I love how much energy I have and how lousy I feel if I don't work out when I'm supposed to be doing so. I love BFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs. Jim: I love that movie. Funny funny. :lol:

I was thinking about your horse riding lessons and I am looking into some kind of self-defense course. I took the RAD a few years back, the basic women's self-defense course, and loved it but I was so out of shape that just the stretching exercises wore me out. My partner was a small, skinny workout fanatic (who is moving to LA and stopping in SF for a visit first so I can't wait for her to see me) and sometimes when we did floor exercises I thought I would crush her. But I loved it and have thought I'd love to do formal self-defense (our instructor was one of the few American women who was belted in Japan and had attained respect as a teacher in Japan and did it at a later age).
When I read your post about horse back riding, I thought I'd like to take up something new and all kinds of things I've wanted to do in the past that is cerebral like learning Italian I've done or am doing (go to law school). I've done other physical things like learn to ride a motorcycle (Oh, I'm doing some of my new pictures on my harley. You always see chickies draped on some guys harley. Well, I've decided to drape myself on my OWN Harley). So I might take your horseriding as inspiration and do self-defense. I hear it's a good workout and very mindsettling. I love Tae Bo too. So if anyone know which one would be best, I'd appreciate any input.

I'm excited to have Free Day today and then go into week 12. I was talking to hubby last night about the string of company we will be having for the summer and I think I might follow BFL as closely as I can for the next six weeks but not officially enter Challenge 2 until September. We'll see. I don't want to lose my progress but I know that BFL eating will be difficult with company for six straight weeks (all different people many of whom have not been to the Bay Area and want to do all the touristy things).

We shall see. I hope this group and the L&S guys keep me honest!!!!!!!!!!!

Off to eat Corn Pops (yum yum) :)

Susan

Bee125
06-10-2001, 10:48 PM
Hi I would like to join you all if that is OK?

SIL knows me from the WW at home board, Hi Sil :wave: I have been going crazy :dizzy: and what you are on to looks like a great answer to the hohum way I have been of late :(

I have the BFL video but I dont have the book at this stage.
Will make sure i have the sticktoitifness over the first week first going by the guidlines posted here before I rush out and purchase yet another book to gather dust.
I cannot go to the gym is that a problem?
I have some hand weights and lots of excercise videos, a bike and 4 Golden Retrivers that like to be walked. Will that do to start with?
Hubby has some weights in the garage but they look like killers!! :eek:

As I am so unfit I find riding my bike makes my knees hurt and ache and make hidious noises so i dont want to do more damage than good starting on in! What do you think??
Im 175 lb and want to be no more than 130 . Ideally Id like to bee 125 (hence my user name). At the moment i just want to be less than 150 and I feel I'll be over the moon.
I did cut all sugar and whites from my diet last year and although I felt wonderful for it I wasnt losing the weight like i wanted and needed so I went to WW and started to lose but went back to relying to heavily on Carbs and all the refined ones crept back in
:rolleyes: Any way what I lost has been regained and Im stick of myself and my fabbiness.
You guys are very inspiring and motivational while still semming very real and aproachable, so I hope its catchy!!

From a website I was told my Body fat was 37% so I have some work to do.
I have Joe Weider Protien powder, I like to soy ones and I take it I should be having 6 small meals a day of 18 grams protien and carbs? Whats the story with fat ??

MrsJim
06-10-2001, 11:07 PM
Check out the links that Susanje posted at the top. Especially the www.hussman.com/eas website - I printed it out because it's a strain on my old eyes to read that whole thang but it's very educational! Helped me a lot in the first couple of weeks.

As far as I can see, BFL's eating plan is 40% protein, 40% carbs, and 20% fat. Portions are easy - just use your hand - open palm for protein (chicken breast, etc); closed fist for carbs (potato, rice, etc.). During the week I actually eat pretty much the same thing every day as follows:

Meal #1 - Myoplex Lite (mixed with ice and water)
Meal #2 - Cottage cheese and cut fruit at my desk at work
Meal #3 - this can vary but usually it's a brown rice bowl with grilled chicken and veggies from a Japanese fast-food place near my work. Yummy!
Meal #4 - Myoplex Lite Bar (until I finish the box then it's on to Myoplex Lo-Carb bars) I keep these in my desk at work
Meal #5 - dinner with hubby - usually a grilled chicken breast, rice or potato and veggies - but tomorrow I'm going to have Joe's Special!!
Meal #6 - about 45 minutes before bed - a Myoplex Lite.

Sounds like a lot of eating - but the great thing is that you are never hungry! You also need to drink lots of water. Actually I'm thirsty most of the time anyway. We have bottled water delivered at home and Jim and I go through 10 gallons a week, plus whatever we drink at work.

I would really recommend checking out the book - go to your library or check www.half.com - they have the book at really good prices (I've seen it at $7-$8 there). Or go to the www.bodyforlife.com website - it is a WELLSPRING of free info and you can even download the workout sheets as well as sign up for the Challenge (go to the "Training Zone" link after you sign up for the Challenge and you can even have all your workouts laid out for you!!!

Can you tell I'm excited??? Wait til you guys see my progress photos - Jim's going to take my Week 8 photos next Sunday and I will post all at Lean & Strong! OH And go to www.leanandstrong.com and take a look at the before and after photos there - it is a motivational boost! Take care.

Bee125
06-11-2001, 12:38 AM
Little Bee :lol: no ones called me that in a lonnng time!!

Thanks for all the info and yes i have been checking out some of the links posted here.
I like the idea of lots of little meals as I like snacking and dont really go for big meals, its just ive been eating too much fat and sugar and not keeping my butt on the move.
I will look forward to seeing your new photos and Sils ones too :)
Theres a lady called Liz-nz shes from New Zealand like me at the lean and strong site and seeing her progress got me really excited , I look much like her befores but Im 5'6.
I had a good look around the web for body fat calculators and the best one i found that asked for 3 different measurements said I have a body fat of 36% and a Lean body mass of 112.
Several others told me this same amount although 1 said 26 and get this 1 said 13?? go figure, I wish :lol:

I'll go and check out this challenge at the BFL website and catch you again later.

susanje
06-11-2001, 01:38 AM
Hi Bee!!!

You will probably want to use the killer weights that your husband has. You can do just about anything that BFL requires with free weights and barbells. I just started using the swiss ball for abs. OUCH.

I just updated my 11 week pix in the link in one of my posts up above and I posted them in the transformation gallery on L&S. Still a long way to go but in these past 2 weeks I have noticed changes every single day. I'm so glad I stuck with it because I was pretty discouraged around week 7 - although the killer was during week 5 when my fat pants got TIGHT on me!!!!!!! I can't believe I stuck with it after that, but I did and am so glad.

Six meals a day, six workouts a week and you will watch the bf% come down. I didn't see ANY progress until the end of week 6 (actually week 7) so hang in there.

If you do it the way it's laid out, it works incredibly well!!!!!!!!

Oh and I'm a big fan of Liz_nz. :)

Welcome to the BFL club on 3FC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Susan

Bee125
06-11-2001, 03:34 AM
SUSAN hi and thanks for the welcome :) I found your pics and wow what a big change!! worth being really excited about!! I hope you are proud of yourself cos you must of been putting in lots of hard work.

Its so inspiring to see ordinary everyday woman achieving such transformation :D

2BFIT1
06-11-2001, 08:18 AM
I'm so glad to see you back on the boards.:) If you have been reading our posts then you know that I am in week 4 and:love: it! Because of the surgery that I had earlier this year, I was very cautious about lifting weights. Plus my arms were weak from the nerve damage. Between my husband and myself, we have an assortment of dumbbells around the house. there is no way that I could lift his heavy weights for several reps without causing damage.I began with 5# in each hand and worked my way up to 15 (which means I'm lifting 30# ). An example is 12@5#,10@5#, 8@10#, 6@15# etc. I know that this doesn't sound like much but it's a start. I have found that I can do more weight on the machines but I am doing this at home for now. I might have to dip into his weights soon:lol:
I would invest in a set of dumbbells for 5#,10#, 15#,20#. Go to the sports store and play around with them:do a few sets and see what it feels like. Try looking for used dumbbells in the newspaper, garage sales,etc.
I would think that some form of aerobic video tape would be adaptable to the intensity levels for the aerobic workout.Even if you can't do the high intensity at least you are exercising:)

Hope to see ya around:wave:~~~Sil

2BFIT1
06-11-2001, 08:32 AM
Susan, I saw your most recent pics on L&S and have to say "You are becoming a hottie:cool:
Keep up the great job. Can't wait to see you on your Harley.

MrsJim
06-11-2001, 01:42 PM
We're all doing so well - our little group is growing. I fervently hope that more people join us here!

I too am a fan of Liz_nz - actually thought she was our own MsLiz here, so I emailed her - she sent me a very sweet note back saying she can only handle one board at a time! I agree - she's doing fab!

Had a bit of a scare last week - for years I've been having a killer migraine right at the beginning of my period. Didn't want to take one of those prescription meds for migraines (since I'm fine the rest of the time!) so Dr. K. put me on a lower estrogen one a week or two ago. Had some real scary breakthrough bleeding, plus I'm breaking out a bit...but it'll be worth it if I stop having those migraines (they can really knock me out sometimes). I was on TriLevlin but now am on Loestrin. The bleeding stopped after a few days and I feel fine again!

We have Swiss balls at the gym but...I wanted to try one out and was told they can only be used with a staff member (personal trainer). What do they think I'm going to do, prick it with a pin? I'll probably go out and get my own!

Had a good LBWO today - dumbbell squats used to be a killer, but now they're a piece of cake, even though I've upped the weights. Next week my routine changes again for the last four weeks of the challenge and I'll be going to barbell squats - think I'll use the Smith machine for those, at least for the first few times. Today my workout was a snap - everyone else in the gym was watching the news from Terre Haute (if you know what I mean) between 5:00 - 5:30 (California time).

Hey Bee (I still like Little Bee!!) :p if you have access to a gym, try an elliptical fitness trainer - much easier on the old knees. Either that or have your bike looked at - you might need to have it fitted. Jim and I both worked at a bike shop and many people who came in saying cycling aggravated their knees actually had a fit problem - usually the frame was too small or the saddle too low. You don't want too much of a bend in your knees. Go to this website for fit tips: http://www.bikezone.com/infozone/superswami/fitting/fitting.shtml Cycling is not only great exercise but it's just plain fun - I'd hate to see you miss out! Take care.

2BFIT1
06-11-2001, 02:58 PM
First, one of the cushion pads on my glasses broke. Then my computer wouldn't work. Kept saying nomaster drive found so I finally had to reinstall Windows thus loosing most of my customized info.The real test will be to see if the computer re boots when it is turned off and on again.
On top of it all, I have MY monthly pre-TOM migraine. I do have medication to take but I'm at the age (47) where i think a low dose hormone patch will help the migrains and the pre-menopasal symptoms.

Before I go lay down i just want to know how much weight you are using for your dumbbell squats and lunges? Thanks, Sil

MrsJim
06-11-2001, 03:45 PM
Sil - not doing lunges yet - that starts next week (for hamstrings right now, I'm doing deadlifts and lying curls).

Here's today's quad workout:

Dumbbell Squats - 12 @ 40# (20 lb each side); 10 @ 50# (25# DBs each side); 8 @ 60 (30# DBs); 6 @ 70# (35# DBs); then 12 @ 60# again; followed by a set of 12 Leg Extensions at 75#.

I'll probably raise the weight on Friday...

Bee125
06-11-2001, 05:21 PM
MRS JIM my bike had better be the right size as I bought it from a proper bike shop and the guy said it was right for me. I dont like to have the seat too high although it could maybe go up a teeny bit (Im afraid of falling off the thing)
Ive just been looking at your website and you obviously ride heaps, one day I hope to be able to just get out thereand do it and enjoy it too. You have come along way and I take my hat of to you :D I agree your mother sure was a looker, a very beautiful women! You are getting to look mre like her dont you think. I cant recognise you from the first photo at all.

As for squats I have differculty doing many without any weights at all :( (mainly my knees again) but no doubt that will improve. When I started walking 2 miles would wear out but now 5 miles isnt a problem, although I have slacked off something terrible these past few months.
I have 2 pairs of dumbells 5# and 10# so they can start me off.
I cant use the 10# ones much.
Boy my body is in for a shock, but I feel excited.
Got though my first day well anyway and am for a walk/run this morning. Running makes me feel like Im going to die so thats gotta be good ,huh :lol:
I have tryed to attach a photo of me from last winter, I was 20lb lighter then than now. Actually I have NEVER weighed this much not even though 4 pregnances :o http://www.losingitonline.com/jennyhaucklandnewzealand.jpg

Bee125
06-11-2001, 06:15 PM
Oh SIL your day isnt going too well. Computers can be sooo annoying eh :mad: !! :devil: Im sure mine is harbouring a demon at times :lol:
Thanks for giving me the idea to come over here, I think Im going to like it :D

MrsJim
06-11-2001, 07:53 PM
Bee - thanks for the nice things you said about Mom. Although she no longer has the long hair (so 60's!) she's still one hot muffin - at least Dad still thinks so (they celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary this year!).

Also, if your bike isn't comfy, hotfoot it back to the shop and have them adjust it for you. Not only saddle height but have them check the handlebar stem as well. Sometimes just a fraction of an inch can make a HUGE amount of difference in the comfort of your ride! Don't worry that you're bothering them or taking their time - a good bike shop always stands by the products they sell and should be glad to assist with any problems at any time. Despite the price of bikes these days, there is actually very little retail profit made - most shops make the majority of their profits from service and accessories rather than the bikes themselves.

I'm not riding as much this year as I did last year, part of it having to do with my job (I travel frequently) and partly with the weather just being not to our liking. Jim's a Southern California born and bred desert rat and if it's not at least 85 degrees out it would take a plutonium blast to get him out of the house! :)

I looked at your photo and you look fine - imagine how great you'll look after 12 weeks on BFL! Make sure you take those 'before' pix if you haven't done so already!

I really need to change my signature...BFL doesn't focus nearly as much on scale weight as most of the plans that others are on here in the Forum at large. Those scale numbers can really mess you up! I'll do that after work though.

My fervent wish is that everyone on the 3FC board at least checks out the BFL program...I know there is not one thing that works for everyone...but (this is addressed to the casual 3FC lurker out there) you've GOTTA check out the transformation pix on L&S before making any judgements...many of those people were SEVERELY obese and have transformed themselves - and take a look at susanje's pix as well! I won't fool ya - it's hard work but the rewards are rich!!! Take care.

susanje
06-11-2001, 08:13 PM
I was just saying that today. It's hard work but it's worth it. The benefits are EXTRAORDINARY and because I'm so healthy and happy and energetic, I know it's the real deal. It's the right stuff. I love love love it.

What I love about BFL:

- I plan my food but don't think about food. What a paradox that is. I honestly don't think about what my next meal is going to be and when. I crave nothing. If I crave it, I have it on Free Day. It is incredible to me how I've learned to CHOOSE what to focus on for free day. Yesterday was cinnamon rolls (Grands by Pillsbury). I really wanted a cinnabon but the grands were second best. I ate THREE of them. But I really wanted it, I really could have it, I really could savor it...and NO GUILT. It is so nice to eat fatty sugary things with NO GUILT. I'm not "off my diet" I'm not "cheating on my diet" I'm not "between diets". This is part of my plan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Phillips is a genius with the free day thing. I have said that about a dozen times since I started.

The other six days I plan my food and I don't think about when am I going to eat, what am I going to eat, I'm bored, I'm hungry, I will eat just because yadda yadda.

I have so much energy it is incredible. I love the way I feel MORE than the way I look (though I ain't looking too shabby :))

My husband said that at the risk of sounding ridiculous that I might be in danger of a sunny disposition (me: native, sarcastic grumpy Noo Yawker). Sunny disposition!!!!!!!!! The noive.

My mood has lightened a million degrees. I LOVE BODY FOR LIFE.

Just about time to start a new thread. Whaddya think gals?

Susan

MrsJim
06-11-2001, 08:52 PM
Yes - on starting a new thread, and an emphatic YES on Bill P. being a genius!! Free day - what a great concept.

Jim and I have our Free Day breakfast every Sunday now at Stack's. That place fills up quick - so we get there early. They have the best pancakes and waffles - food I would have never given myself permission to consume until now (instead I'd just feel resentment because Jim could have it!). So anyway, we had our breakfast at Stack's at 8:30 and that held me until we ate an early dinner at around 4:30 at Red Robin - hamburger, fries and a 'flat on your beak' special. Red Robin has 'bottomless' fries - and before I would have eaten until I popped. But I was satisfied with the one serving - didn't even finish THAT.

Now it's Monday and I woke up at 4 a.m. with tons of energy - excited about my workout and the upcoming week!

Hey all you lurkers out there - we have so many hits on this thread, I KNOW you're there - I urge you to give BFL a look...get OUT of the round robin of 'miracle' diets and pills that don't work as they are promised (except perhaps the first week or two which is just water weight anyway). The only way to lose weight is to EAT RIGHT and EXERCISE - you only need to do it the correct way. I know I'm preaching here, but BFL could be the right way for you. Like I said, it's hard work, but the rewards are worth it - and when you transform - YOU did it - not a pill!

2BFIT1
06-11-2001, 09:44 PM
I haven't had a chance to read the latest posts because of this stupid computer. I think I need either a new hard drive or just get a new modem . The fact that I know nothing about computers doesn't help when it comes to dealing with a computer repair shop:(
So , while I am able to get online at this time (it's hit or miss if Windows will even start) I just want to say that even if i am not able to post with you guys, that I am still with BFL and this group.And know that I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.

Now I'll go back and read todays posts. See ya (I hope)~~~Sil
(P.S. Bee, you are adorable! It's so nice to finally see you:D )