Weight Loss Support - Which was harder for you?

View Full Version : Which was harder for you?

Saffron
06-28-2005, 10:08 AM
to incorporate into your lifestyle? Healthy Eating or Exercise? I am having no difficulty fitting exercise into my day. I love it. I feel great and I am proud of the accomplishment but I am still eating too much of the wrong foods. I went for a 45 minute jog last night while pushing two kids in a jogging stroller. It was a great WHOLE BODY workout. But then i came home and ate a ton of Raviloi, potato chips and icecream. :?: I am sure the exercise is helping me to not gain so much weight but i am also sure that there is NO WAY i am going to lose weight if I continue eating like this.

So what was harder for you? And how did you jump the hurdle?

lisette831
06-28-2005, 10:25 AM
the exercise was the easy part.

it was changing my eating habits that i found to be the worst - no more eating a large pizza at 2am in the morning, no more burger king and i cut out pepsi and sugar altogether.

how did i jump the hurdle? i told myself that i can't lose weight efficiently if i keep up what i'm doing. i simply *had* to lose weight. i was miserable. what really pushed me (the final straw) was that i couldn't fit into most of my clothes anymore, and when i tried to buy new clothes, i looked horrible and it made me sad. so i said that's it. if you don't get control of this, you're going to be 300lbs in no time. it was that fear that really pushed me.

so giving up (not entirely mind you) my bad foods was the hardest. i still eat pizza - just a small amount once a week, and i haven't been hungry since i changed my eating habits.

JuliaTN
06-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Healthy eating is way harder for me. I was raised with Coke in my baby bottle and I'm still not ready to give it up. Spinach cheese dip is health food in my family. After 3 months of intensively exercising and only losing 4 lbs I realized that I had to make some dietary changes as well. Since then I have lost 9 lbs in about 8 weeks. I have found some ways to make small changes that add up over the long haul:

1. I eat lots of mexican style foods - I have started using the fajita size whole wheat tortillas instead of the full size white flour ones. Helps with portion control & you get some fiber at the same time. I've also added romaine leaves as a healthy filler and I use a sprinkling of cheese instead of making a quesadilla.
2. I bake or broil fish; boneless, skinless chicken tenders; or 4 oz beef filets instead of going out to eat and getting chicken fingers (one of my weaknesses). If I want a "crunch" I crush fat free croutons and sprinkle them on top of the fish or chicken before broiling. Lean meats are low in calories, high in protein & very filling.
3. I eat several small meals a day. I used to have a snack for breakfast, wait until about 3-4 pm, then have a huge meal. My reasoning was that I could eat whatever I wanted to and as much as I wanted to if I was only really eating one meal a day right? As a result, I would absolutely stuff myself to the bursting point because if I got hungry again I was not allowed to eat again or I would blow my "diet" Now, when I get hungry...I eat. A novel idea I know but I don't feel like I have to eat a day's worth of food in one meal and it helps me to control my portions.
4. I let myself eat pretty much what I want to but I am no longer allowed to eat until I feel full. I eat until I no longer feel hungry. I've told myself "yes, this tastes really good and it will taste just as good 4 hours from now when I'm hungry again if I REALLY still want more" It makes a huge difference in the way I feel just being able to breathe comfortably after a meal. If I want potato chips I have some but I take 3-4 out of the package, put the package back and then eat them instead of half the bag.
5. I eat 95% of my meals at home where I can control what goes into it. I used to eat 95% of my meals out and there really is no telling how many calories I was consuming but I would guess around 2500-3000. Now I keep it to 1200-1500
There are other changes that I want to make but I don't want to do anything that I can't keep doing for the rest of my life. I am slowly "working up" to it and seeing what I can cope with and what I can't on a long term basis.

Hope some of this helps.

BellaLumina
06-28-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm the opposite of you all. I have a much harder time incorporating exercise into my life. I found changing my eating habits to be relatively easy with lots of planning and a few slips. I also love vegetables and whole foods. I actually crave salads. That certainly helps!

But exercise is so hard to do (insert prolonged whine!). :stress:
First because I have fibromyalgia. But mostly because it's not habit for me. I enjoy swimming when I do it but there are so many excuses available for me not to exercise. I have options galore, even when I'm having a bad day, but I don't remember to try them. I'm really having to kick myself to remember to work out and trying to do as much planning on my exercise as I do on my food.

FerretNose
06-28-2005, 11:53 AM
great question!

Oh Lordy, how i hate exercise. The eating part wasn't a walk in the park, but I did it relatively easy... required learing different ways to cook and shop, but I found that part interesting. Who doesn't love getting new kitchen gadgets and trying new foods out? (okay, maybe someone doesnt) It's exercise i hate! I hate the DOMS, I hate the sweat. The only part of exercise i don't absolutely dread is lifing weights, becuase it has immediate results and therefore gives me a mental boost; it also takes less time. I used to have to lay around all day in preparation for 30 minutes of aerobics... and spend all day psyching myself up for it. Hmm. I just got an idea for a thread. But it'll have to be later. I gotta clean out my filthy car.

BellaLumina
06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
FerretNose: Does cleaning out your car count as exercise? ;)

kykaree
06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
I loathed and detested exercise. I love fruit and veggies and whole foods, but exercise was a real problem for me. Partly because I have asthma, I have dysphraxia which makes co ordination extremely difficult, and basically I have always been told I was useless at it.

Sooooooooooooo the big achievement I have made is exercising 60 - 90 minutes a day. I go to the gym every morning and swim afterwards, and often go to the gym at lunch, or have a walk. And you know what, I love it now, it took 6 weeks to get to the point where I enjoyed it, and now I couldn't be without it. I have learnt so much, I do weight training, swimming, cross trainer all sorts of things.

I try to exercise formally 5 - 6 times per week, and I have one rest day, but usually do a walk, this week it was an 8 mile hike!!!

I actually got a personal trainer when I started, I only needed one session, and it really gave me confidence. Both gyms I belong to have personal trainers that have helped me loads.

marbleflys
06-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Exercise is the easy part, I grew up playing sports and was a gym regular and until I hit my 30s I could eat anything and still maintain my normal weight of about 125-135......I was never bigger than a size 7.

But it's hard to change old habits.....and now it's awfully hard for me to lose it and keep it off unless I eat smaller portions, less fat and more veggies...(fruit is sometimes not appealing to me)..

Even with wt. loss drugs, portion control and exercise, I still lose at the slowest rate possible.......

KIMMIFIER
06-28-2005, 02:12 PM
EXERCISE UGH!!!!!
I never thought I would be doing it 5-7 days a week several times a day like I am.
the food changes were easy. Once I decided to completely eliminate sugar and the like form my diet I stuck with it and after a week or so I no longer craved or desired it. I won't lie occasionally I will be baking homemade cookies for my husband and daughter and the smell just sends me craving but in general, the food changes were easy peasy. Haven't cheated once since starting April 7th!

Exercise....I never even really planned to incorporate it into my new way of life. I figured I could get away with just the eating but my brain new better and talked my body inton walking one day. I found I really enjoy walking though will be the first to admit some days its hard to get going. Especially in this heat lately. Once I am out there though I think why didn't I just get out here earlier and get this done? I also do aerobics and strength training now and love them. Some days I will walk twice, watch 2 45min dvd's and ride my bike. I would have NEVER dreamt it in a million years. I have even thought to myself maybe some day I would like to really get into lifting weights. But today, I woke up with a headache (PMS probably) :devil: and haven't shook it all day. Exercise isnt gona happen I'm sorry to say. So I still struggle. Exercise is way harder!

Kim

smilan
06-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Definitley the Eating!!

I can work out daily even twice a day when I am really stoked, but I have NEVER mastered the whole eating right thing. I love cheese and white creamy sauce, and everthing rich! I have managed to control my portions and to add some healthy things. I lose weigh this way, but my results would probably be astonishing if I could really get rid of those indulgences.

marbleflys
06-28-2005, 03:27 PM
I have yet to find a substitute for a glass of Pino Grigio or Merlot, SIGH!

MorticiaAddams
06-28-2005, 03:38 PM
It would be the eating for me.
I hate to cook.
I also had no clue on nutrution.
I still hate to cook but im learning what I can on what I should be eating and how much of what I can.

kykaree
06-28-2005, 05:57 PM
That was such a great question, i really enjoyed reading everyone's replies! It's fascinating to see how different we all are, and how our struggles are similar yet unique, great stuff!!!

paperclippy
06-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Exercise was harder for me. Moving from eating at a school dining hall to cooking for myself, I was able to start cooking healthy from the beginning. But I had never been able to stick to exercise my entire life.

Now, I work out 5-6 times per week and I feel great though!

Glory87
06-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Changing my eating habits has been super easy - I love healthy food and except for Christmas and a June visit from my parents, I haven't deviated from my healthy eating at all. Exercise - I hate it, I hate getting up early, it bores me and it hurts and I HATE being sore. I'm trying to fit it in, but it's a fight every time.

gray eyed girl
06-29-2005, 12:34 AM
I am fighting hard to make my healthy eating come more naturally. The exercise hasn't been as much of a problem as I always claimed it would be - my husband is great about taking care of the kids specifically so that I get out of the house to exercise, and I'm not struggling at all with finding the time to do that. I struggle with the motivation now and then but not finding the time.

Eating though. Oy. I'm having a hard time. I am fighting SO hard not to go back to my old habits and this is HARD.

jillybean720
06-29-2005, 07:44 AM
The eating habit change was easier for me because I live alone, so I only buy healthy foods and--wala! problem solved! If there's no junk around, then there's no junk for me to eat!

The exercise, on the other hand--oi vei. I'm still struggling with this one. I only work out 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes at a time, and it's all aerobic (the elliptical machine). I know I need to incorporate weights, need to workout for longer and more often, but i just don't have the time, and when I do have a few spare minutes, I would certainly rather spend them with my boyfriend who I only get to see for less than 2.5 days a week (although we sometimes get quite a workout together--wink wink, nudge nudge ;) ). Oh wow, I'm a dork...anyway, yeah, the exercise is the harder part for me :p I hate that I get all sweaty and gross and don't have time to shower after I workout, before I go to my second job. But, we do what we gotta do!

Loud_Librarian
06-29-2005, 08:20 AM
I HATE going to the gym, it's too icky and muggy hot outside to do anything, I don't have a pool - I cannot get into exercise mode.

BUT I have had no problem cutting out the sugary sodas, eating fewer calories than I burn, and eating low fat foods. Thus the pounds have shed anyway without regular exercise.

The biggest things I learned when I began all this in January:

1. It's all a formula - Less IN than out.
2. High Fructose Corn Syrup is my ENEMY! :devil:
3. Losing weight is about 80% diet and 20% exercise.

These things have kept me on the path to consistently losing and even when I wasn't losing, not gaining, which is the end all goal anyway.

hefty1
06-29-2005, 08:33 AM
:wave: try this exercise. put both hands on the table and push when full. :lol:
exersising helps with your motabolisim and energy. :) glen

FerretNose
06-29-2005, 09:02 AM
FerretNose: Does cleaning out your car count as exercise? ;)

Haha! Actually, if you saw my car, you'd say so. It was full of leaves because I park under an oak tree and keep leaving my windows open (I have no a/c in there). And I have a bad habit of leaving stuff in there like junk mail, diet coke bottles, etc. I had not cleaned the car out *once* in the entire 2 years I have had it, partly because the car itself is so ugly and uncomfortable, as soon as I get home, I forget it. It was a disaster area. The other day my son was getting out of my husband's nice, clean car, and left a coke bottle in there, and my hubby goes, "Get back in there and pick up that bottle. What do you think this is, Mom's car?" Then they both cackled. So I cleaned it up. :D

TheNewChristy
06-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Finding time for exercise has definitely been hardest for me. I can't get up early to work out b/c I have a 1-yr-old to take care of and want him to sleep as long as possible so I can get my shower in peace (he ALWAYS wakes up within 15 minutes of my getting out of bed). At work I sit at a desk all day, and although I get an hour for lunch working out would not be a good idea since I have to be all prettied up and professional looking at work...I couldn't see myself spending the rest of the day with my sweaty hair up in a pony tail and pit stains on my blouse, and I can't afford a gym much less a gym with a shower. I get home after 6pm every day (about 1 hr. 20 min round-trip commute), and my hubby might not get home 'til 8pm or later, so there's about 2 hours I get to make dinner for my son and me and spend some quality time with him. Once hubby gets home he takes over with the baby and I get to clean up a little bit. Then it's time for the baby's bath, and putting him to bed. It's usually 9:30 or 10:00 by this time and I'm exhausted and just want to go to sleep. I could take baby for a walk, but he has a severe allergy to mosquitoes and anyone who's ever been in Georgia during a rainy June knows what it's like outside...and, you can't use DEET on children under 2 so the weak stuff I have to put on him doesn't help too much. :( I've been begging my hubby to put together our weight machine but he works so much and would rather do other things when he finally gets off... sigh.

dona
06-29-2005, 12:48 PM
Definitaly Excersize has been harder for me.. I have been finding every excuse in the book! I started a 21 day challange on another board to just walk a 1/2 hour a day and am on day 3.. I have all the excercize dvds.. I have 14 workouts I could be doing at home.. so far I've only done 3.. this is a problem for me and I have to get motivated on it.. also I know I need to start weight training soon or I'm going to just get saggy and baggy!!

swissmiss
06-29-2005, 03:07 PM
exercise was easy for me - i love to walk and have taken up running. But the food... :devil: i love to bake (but don't love to cook) so there would always be fresh-baked cookies or brownies around, but no "real" food to eat. I'm still trying to get healthier about my eating habits, but it has definitely been a struggle.

SOON2BE154
07-02-2005, 09:22 PM
to incorporate into your lifestyle? Healthy Eating or Exercise? I am having no difficulty fitting exercise into my day. I love it. I feel great and I am proud of the accomplishment but I am still eating too much of the wrong foods. I went for a 45 minute jog last night while pushing two kids in a jogging stroller. It was a great WHOLE BODY workout. But then i came home and ate a ton of Raviloi, potato chips and icecream. :?: I am sure the exercise is helping me to not gain so much weight but i am also sure that there is NO WAY i am going to lose weight if I continue eating like this.

Eating is not your problem! What you eat, yes. You need to refuel your body after you exercise.

I used to believe that eating after exercise made you fat. It doesn't. It is a time to replenish your glycogen stores which you used up for exercising.

All you need to do is change what you're eating but still refuel your body and you'll do fine. Skip the potato chips and ice cream. Eat a regular meal with carbs being 50% of the meal. You've got one food item in that direction. The ravioli is definitely on track. Now add some low carb veggies [you got your high carb ravioli already], then some protein [3 to 4 ounces of lean meat] and finally fat. Don't beat yourself up for eating just start eating more healthy.

Make sure you eat 30 minutes after exercising. And if you lift weights replenish with a protein drink on those days instead. I alternate my lifting days and then change my meals on those days. After my drink I wait about an hour to eat a regular meal.

Get the junk out of the house! That's my best suggestion. If it isn't in your house, you're not going to eat it. I stopped buying ice cream a long time ago. I had a friend over for dinner one night and she was surprised that I didn't have ice cream in my house for over 2 months. The last time my husband purchased it for his birthday. It was the no sugar added kind.

I use CalorieKing to keep track of my nutrition program so I can make sure I am within 200 calories of my 2000 limit.