Old 06-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #1  
Married to the USAF

Location: Misery... Uh, I mean Missouri... Moving to Germany in December '05

Default Uh-Oh... How much fat did I eat???

Hey all... I am new at this calorie counting thing, so I registered at Fitday.com and recorded the food I ate today.

WoW! That is all I can say! I thought I was eating within the percentages I was aiming for, but I was WAY off! Tell me what you think about today's stats...

Total Calories- 1652
Total Fat- 100__________55%
Total Carbs- 124________26%
Total Protein- 79________19%

I am not afraid of fats--good fats--but 55% and 100 grams is TOO MUCH! I underestimated the Subway tuna on wheat, so I can change that. I can take out the heavy whipping cream and replace it with FF creamer. The avocado is not an everyday thing, only about once a week.

What do you guys think?
Candy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #2  
1 carton a week!

from what I have learned in classes that I have taken, for proper nutrition you should aim for 10-25% protein, 25-35% fat, and the rest above 50% from carbs .. so yeah your fat is a bit up there, but your cals look fine just need to swap the fat and carbs hehe and *yay* for good heart healthy fats
icecreamjunkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:28 AM   #3  

Agreeing with Icecream junkie, you DO need to make some changes. I personally do 25- 30% protein, 25-30% fat, the rest carbs. It's great you're doing fitday so you can see things you would not have otherwise.! Also, if it is not listed, try to customize it so it is accurate as posible. Good luck and keep it up.
Tonkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:51 AM   #4  
Married to the USAF

Thanks... Just out of curiousity, I got on the scale to see if there was a loss, and there was... 3 pounds. No damage done and I caught it early enough to fix it. The good thing was that all of the fat came from healthy fats... mostly extra virgin olive oil and avacado. I have decided that if I get my fats from avacado, I will limit my olive oil and vice versa. If I have to eat lunch out, I will get the lean meats on wheat instead of tuna... That tuna was a lot more fat than I thought.

I refuse to be "afraid" of fat and go fat-free (because that just means they added sugar, cheese excluded), but I will be aware that I don't want to overdo the healthy fats. I think I will aim for 30% fat, 30% protein, 40% carbs... give or take a few percentage points.

Thanks you guys!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

What you should remember is that the olive oil and avacado are healthy fats. If you were going to "lose" one of the fats for the day to get your percentages back where they should be, it should be the mayo on the tuna sub. Get a sub there without the added fat-that would be the smartest switch.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #6  
Married to the USAF

Shoot! I did it again! A bit better today, but fat is still high...

50% fat
15% carbs
32% protein
4% alcohol (a glass of wine )

So, from yesterday... I reduced my fat percentage by a smidgen--I reduced my carbs by 10%--I increased my protein by 10%.

I love fitday.com. At least now I can keep adjusting every day until I get where I want to be. The funny thing is that with the diet I have been eating the last couple days, I have NO cravings... AT ALL! That is huge for me since I usually crave things like crazy! Plus, only 12% of the fat I ate was saturated. I felt satisfied all day, full even, and energetic.

For tomorrow (and from now on), I am going to cut out cheeses and have only fat free/reduced fat cheeses. If I stick with the changes I made for today, and then add this change, I think I can get my fat %'s under 40%, which would be right in line with Mediterranean Diet guidelines that I am getting most of my nutrition plan from.

Here is my fitday.com food record... Take a look if you would like to give me suggestions. My calories are a bit high, but keep in mind I am doing cardio every other day and strength training every other day. Also, it is a lot of food individually, but I prepare and cook most of my own food so most of the items are ingredients or parts of the final product.

Candy's Fitday Food Journal
Old 06-28-2005, 09:11 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

List your full days menu so we can analyse it...Every bitty detail please...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 PM   #8  
Married to the USAF

It should be right there on that link in my previous post. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2005, 09:19 AM   #9  
Married to the USAF

For some reason, the link is not working anymore. I will try adding it to my signature...
Old 06-29-2005, 12:29 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks I was going to ask about that ...
Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #11  
Married to the USAF

Still a work in progress, but I felt my eating was much better today. I cut out the cheese, and did not miss it at all. Even though I have not eaten my last meal nor drunk my glass of wine, I put them in Fitday already so I can see where percentages will be for the day.

1546-- Total Calories
44%---Fat
21%---Carbs
30%---Protein
5%----Alcohol (wine)

Only 8% of my total fat for today was saturated, which makes me VERY happy! I am also glad I got my total fat under 45%. I think I will aim for a 40/30/30 (40 being the fat). It is CRAZY not having mad cravings! Totally amazing! I used to get cravings for junk and chocolate hourly! I have none now! My husband tells me this is because I have drastically reduced my sugar intake and also because I have cut out sat. fats and added plenty of "good fats"... It keeps me satisfied. All of my fats come from olive oil, peanut butter (all-natural--the kind you have to stir), avacado, and sometimes full-fat salad dressings (FF and reduced fat have too much sugar).

Any thoughts, opinions, or ideas?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Candy -- Yesterday I wrote you a nice long message concerning your eating plan and when I posted it the site was down and I lost it ...

Anyways, here is a shorter version of what I said. Basically, at first glance your fat seems way too high... On June 29th let's say you have 2T peanut butter 16g fat, then in your protein oatmeal you have another 2T peanut butter 16g fat, then later on in your salad you have 4T Italian dressing 20g fat.... I feel that that is way too much fat even if it's the good kinds of fats, because afterall, fat is fat is fat, no matter how you look at it, and if you have too much of it, it will turn into fat on YOU... My suggestion would be to half that fat or even less, go to 1T or 1 tsp of fat .... That should bring your daily fat total to much less...

I usually aim for a ratio of 50P, 30C and 20F , but because life gets in the way I usually end up with 30,30,30... which isn't too bad I can lose weight on that, but I do much better with the 50,30,20 ratio....

Hope this helps, let us know...
Old 07-01-2005, 11:02 PM   #13  
Married to the USAF

I'll try a similar ratio next week and see how it goes. I will not drop my fat down to 20%... the lowest I am willing to go is 25% The fat keeps my cravings at bay and having no cravings is what keeps me on track.

Last edited by Candy76; 07-02-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #14  
Married to the USAF

Today (July 1st) was:

33% fat (8% sat.)
20% carbs
42% protein
5% alcohol
Old 07-02-2005, 08:41 AM   #15  
Ilene the Bean