Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:52 PM   #1  

Default Cows on the mooooove

I know it's a dumb name for a thread, but it's all I could come up with.

Kiwi! I'm so happy the DH didn't snooze his way into a ravine with you.

We had quite the fun motoring experience on the way to the lake friday night. We were just out of town when the motorhome overheated. We blown some kind of radiator type hose, but not the radiator hose. This was a hose that no Ford dealer in the entire state had. DH managed to patch it enough to get us back home. He swore "we are going to go relax this weekend! I will fix this" and he did. He managed to buy some other hoses from the auto parts store and makeshift the part. We finally left several hours later than planned. Then as we were driving the crooked, dark highway over the mountains, he switched the headlights to high beam, and suddenly the headlights went out!! Scaaaaaaarrrreyyyy! He figured out that it only happened w/ high beam, not low, so we just had to drive 2 1/2 hrs. that way on a twisty mountain highway to the lake. When we got there our friends were still awake, playing dominos by candlelight with their sons & daughter in laws, waiting up for us. Even though it was a rough start, it was a wonderful weekend. Just what we needed. Aaaahhhhhh. oh, and the best part, Kiwi, was that he didn't sleep even one time on the drive there. heeee.

Painty, your trip sounded wonderful, but that picture of the cream puff? not so great. Lobsters should be shaped like lobsters, but pastry should not.

I can't believe Lush hasn't stopped by to tell me congrats on becoming a gma. I think I'm going to go for the Nona Joy instead of Grandma. Do you think it's denial???
Old 06-27-2005, 04:36 PM   #2  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby
oh, and the best part, Kiwi, was that he didn't sleep even one time on the drive there. heeee.
Oh sure, rub it in....

I think Nona Joy is cute -- why not? And denial comes with the territory, eh?

In my family, when a grandparent has their first name as part of their nickname, it seems to be because the relationship is distant for some reason -- sometimes because they're a step- relation or something. But I've noticed that that doesn't seem to be the case with other families.

Jeez, that "lobster roll" pastry sounds delicious, but it looks like a piece of intestine. Glad you had a good time in Boston. I'm jealous. We drove through at 6:30 am yesterday and back through at 4 in the afternoon. I am so exhausted and stiff it's ridiculous. While we were in Providence, it was soooooo beastly hot, and we had to lug her junk into her dorm room and then go have a campus tour. Just what I needed after no sleep! Then they had a very good orientation lecture for the kids and parents. In an air conditioned lecture hall. I would have been content to have that go on for another couple of hours, but they booted the parents out and we had to go drive for another 8 hours.

Oh good DH just came home with crap for me to do. Goodbye.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:41 PM   #3  
fatter than U

Talking

Wabs - My brothers and I called my grandmother Nonna and my kids call my mum Nonna too. The Italian connection, right? Funny that there are no Italians in our family. My dad is known as Opa Fred.

I am STILL fat. Can you believe it? And it's almost July. I suppose y'all are gearing up for July 4th while Bagz 'n' I will be belting a few back on the 1st, right Bagzie? Good thing it's a Friday. We have our flag hung out already. The neighbours think we're nuts.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:36 PM   #4  

I'm not italian, Sugar, but Grandpa Jim definitely is, so that would make this baby, oh, 1/8th italian. Definitely enough to qualify me as a Nonna.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM   #5  

I think when one is old enough to be a gran'ma, you can ask to be called anything you want. Of course, if the kidlets can't pronounce it, you get called whatever they can say.

Kiwi, you may be right... it was My parents who were known as Granma Jane and Granpa Bob. The Ex's mom was just GRANDMA. and still is. And frankly, she deserves the title. She had lots more get up and go and still does. I hope I get to be a REAL grandma!!

I'm sorry you think the lobster tail pastry looks intestinal. All I can say is don't make a judgment until you've tried it!!

But it's back to antipasto... and greens. Greens Greens Greens. Not so much pasta!!

Cowie... has DS told you what his Japanese Camp name is? have you seen more photos? And are you OK?

I think my DH is asleep as we speak. I hope he wasn't waiting for me to fix dinner....
Old 06-27-2005, 07:32 PM   #6  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

nona nona nona nooooooooo---naaaaaaaaaaaaa--- i think that was a song~----in our family my nanna was Lebanese!!!! and we called her nanna--BUT,her mother we called Sito----which i found out later was supposed to be Sitee-----apparently Sito means "your grandmother" and Sitee means "grandmother" ANYway---my mother is called "Sito"----the kids like it,i think i would like to be called "oldbag" so that everyone will know just who we are talking about-----maybe we should make them call us by our internet names-----------nonna-wabby!!! heeeeeeeeeeeee----GUESS WHAT EVERYONE!!! IT'S 30 DEGREES IN OUR TOWN-----IT ONLY HAPPENS A FEW TIMES A YEAR BUT EVERYONE IS FILLED WITH GLEE!!!! THE FIRST HOT DAYS THIS YEAR!!!!!--- it won't last but we will make hay while the sun shines----THE STRAWBERRIES ARE OUT AND THEY ARE DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE LISHIOS!!!!-----CANADA DAY ON FRIDAY SUGAR----BREAK OUT THE FRESH STRAWBERRY MARGUERITASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!---WELCOME BACK PAINTY!!!---kiwi----i object to all this driving you have been doing -----you need a rest girl!!!! TAKE IT!!!!!
Old 06-27-2005, 10:52 PM   #7  
Member w/ messiest house

I do need a rest. Or some regular exercise. I felt so crummy yesterday -- all the sitting/driving and then the long walking tour -- my hips were killing me and so were my feet. Just a big clue that I'm so out of shape it's a crime. Aarggh.

Yeah, Bagz, you can be Bagzma to your grandkids. We called my grandparents Nana and Gramps, and Mama (which my half-sibs changed to Mama K -- and they never had any affection for her like my brother and I did), and my step-grandparents we always referred to as Grandma and Grandpa Stark. My best friend growing up had a grandmother called Mimi -- she was the best. Maybe I'll be a Mimi. Mimi Kiwi. Sounds thin, don't you think? I might have to adopt grandchildren though; DD claims she won't be going in for the whole marriage and family thing. Hmph, we'll see.

Congratulations on your hot weather, Bagz. Want some more? I bought a bottle of Bailey's yesterday at the NH liquor mart. Don't you think that would make a stellar slushie? I'll have to work on that.

DH is getting done with his job this Thursday. Condolence messages will be accepted all week.

Kiwi
Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #8  
loves kleenex box art

Did someone note on the other thread that there was a new one? I didn't notice if so. I need that kind of hint to look elsewhere or I just keep waiting for an email that there's a new post.

Here are your prayer opportunities for the day. It's about ME of course. I have two phone calls to make tomorrow concerning jobs. I want the one that pays most. I think she offered it to someone else so let's give that woman something else to do so I have have this jobbbbb.

Got a card today from Shirou. It's kind of short and doesn't tell me much so I was THRILLED. He apologized for his behavior in the airport. Did I tell that?

XOXOXOXOXOXOX You sweet little heifers.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:34 PM   #9  
Member w/ messiest house

Hurrah for Shirou. May he correspond frequently.

Hope you get the gooooooooood job!

Oh, I forgot to ask you -- about the email that you sent that bounced -- did it bounce the first time you sent it? I never got that one, but I did get some replies to your message "Postcards".

Kiwi
Old 06-28-2005, 12:07 AM   #10  
loves kleenex box art

First time was when you were email-denied. After you were reinstated but in possession of no new email, I resent it and it bounced. Did u get the picture I sent you?
Old 06-28-2005, 03:00 AM   #11  
fatter than U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
Here are your prayer opportunities for the day. It's about ME of course. I have two phone calls to make tomorrow concerning jobs. I want the one that pays most. I think she offered it to someone else so let's give that woman something else to do so I have have this jobbbbb.
Yessssss, we MUST spend our day visualizing this other woman moving on to bigger and better (for her) things and leaving this fabulous job for our Peachy, who is darling and brilliant and slim and brave and deserves to have a job she loves.

Good to know that Number One Son is alive and well and still knows how to apologize. Ds12 has been giving me some serious lip lately and I'm wondering how he's going to be when he's 18.

My grandmother lived in Italy for a long time and my mum was born in Rome so I guess that's why they decided on the Nonna thing. Assuming I ever get any grandchildren out of these two, I don't think I want to be called Oma. I know, I'll just tell them to call me Sugar!

Last night ds9 had a little break down after dinner over I'm not quite sure what. Something about him not liking the ersatz Rice Krispie Squares I made out of all the old cereal remnants that were hiding in the cupboard. OK, it was truly awful, but nothing to cry about. Anyway, he developed a humongous headache and was feeling crappy so I massaged his temples and rubbed his neck and got a cold compress for him and then a warm one. After drinking a cup of chamomile tea (good for headaches) he said he was feeling almost better so I said "Oh, I guess the tea helped, didn't it?" and he said "Well, Mummy, I think it was the love that helped the most." Isn't he sweet?
Old 06-28-2005, 08:27 AM   #12  
loves kleenex box art

Oh that is so precious, Sugar. Wonderful Sugar-plum-ette.

Do you ever see that Bill Cosby Show "Little Bill?" (does the punctuation goes inside the quotes and I want the American answer!) LIttle Bill's great-grandmother lives with them. The kids calls her Alice the Great.

I know a wonderful beautiful woman who had a mini-stroke last week. Her doctor ordered her to lose 10 lbs in two weeks. It can be done apparently.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 AM   #13  

Oh Sugar, that's sooo sweet. What a darling little sugarette.

Peach, you will get the job. I think you can. I think you can. I think you can.

I'm having a weepy kinda day. Too many changes too quickly. And then there was the almost accident I had on the way into work. So don't anybody even think of picking on me. I'd fall to pieces.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #14  

Peaches... you deserve a wonderful work, workplace and salary. Go for it.

Wabby -- so glad you are safe.... when there are tons o' changes one must be careful, don't you think. Slow and steady. Maybe strawberry daiquiries after you get home.

I have to actually see a client today... Aeiiiiiiiiii work. responsibility. As one friend said, I seem to LIKE getting lots of mileage out of Thelma.... (the legacy of being an only child, perhaps. And there's cat-sick to clean up and luggage to put away and laundry to do. Oh the mundane chores. But, on the other hand, I'm glad I'm able to do them. Think I'll go to Central Market on the way home and pick up some exotic cold food for hot weather....
Old 06-28-2005, 02:19 PM   #15  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpernia
First time was when you were email-denied. After you were reinstated but in possession of no new email, I resent it and it bounced. Did u get the picture I sent you?
But the first one didn't bounce, right? They are still sending me some old, some new, email; it's a mess. I didn't get the picture yet, but I may get still-who knows?

Sugar, little ds is too adorable!! And you're just the best mommy. In a young life, sometimes the wrong cereal in the rice krispie squares is just the last straw, eh?

Wabby, I hope the rest of your day is totally uneventful. Ohhhhmmmmmmmmm.

So what is exotic cold food anyway? I guess it's anything someone else makes. I can't seem to think of anything appropriate to make in this heat; I keep using the stove even though I don't want to. We don't ever grill because we have no good place to keep the equipment outside and DH just won't bother with it unless I force him (which doesn't contribute to the atmosphere of heat avoidance). So, other than salads and microwaving, I'm still getting overheated every afternoon preparing dinner.

Well, Peaches, thank you for asking that question, because I've always thought you were supposed to put all punctuation inside quotes, but it often looks stupid. So I looked it up and I found this, which makes sense. "The placement of question marks with quotes follows logic." Who knew?

Bagzie is a photographer extraordinaire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, I am blown away by the lupines et al.

Kiwi
P.S. Did you know that
this color is spelled fuchsia, not fuschia?
Closed Thread