Old 06-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #1  
Married to the USAF

Location: Misery... Uh, I mean Missouri... Moving to Germany in December '05

Default Constantly evolving... Anyone else?

I was hesitant this time around to "commit" to any particular diet... I started going to the low-carb boards, lurking around the SB boards, and reading the Mediterranean Diet boards... I just want to eat healthy and get active, ya know?

I am not going to go "low carb", but just cut out sugar, white four, and starchy carbs. I am not doing SB, but I like its idea of "good carbs" and "good fats". I guess I am going to follow more of a Mediterranean style nutrition plan, only keeping it within certain calorie limitations... Although, I am not sure what those limitations are yet.

Anyone else kind of making up their own way that fits them? I figure that if it all boils down to energy in vs. energy out, then calorie awareness is key for weight loss. Considering I have high blood pressure, bad blood work, and family history of cancer and heart disease, I am going to count my calories while eating the Mediterranean way so that I get bad fats out, and good fats in.

Just watch me shrink!
Candy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:55 AM   #2  
Married to the USAF

Oh yeah... Before I forget... How do I figure out how many calories I should be eating every day to lose weight?

Thanks
Old 06-27-2005, 10:56 AM   #3  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

I definitely can't commit to one particular diet. I'm constantly searching for a newer better way to lose weight. I think I'm still searching for the miracle cure. Whatever I try though, I keep coming back to counting calories. It just seems to work no matter what "diet" I'm on.
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

The ultimate key is burning more than you take in (but don't go too low) so you really have to do trial and error a bit to find what works for you. Start out with 1800 calories a day, and weigh in once a week. If you lose 1/2 to 2 pounds each week at that level, then that is where you should be. If you are not losing, drop down to 1700 and see how that does for a while. Once your weight gets lower, you will have to exercise more and maybe drop your calories a little further for more weight loss. It is better to eat what you can (and lose) and drop a little as you go down and need to, rather than drop to really low calorie at first-and have nowhere to go when you plateau.
I am a calorie counter, and just try to make healthier choices. (similar to South Beach and Mediterranian) and choose nuts and olive oil over bad fats, and fruits, veggies, and whole grains instead of bad carbs when I can. I try to eat lean protein when possible. Every now and then I will have a treat, but it is portion controlled, and I stay in my calorie range.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:02 PM   #5  
Married to the USAF

Thanks...

Aphil--It sounds like we are following very similar nutrition plans... I too choose nuts, olive oil, and avacado (occasionally) over other fats. I eat only whole wheat bread, but get much of my carbs from veggies. Is your current way of eating what you did to lose the 46.6 lbs? Also, where in Indiana are you from? I am from the North-West part up by Chicago (Hammond, Merrillville... I actually went to Merrillville High School).
Old 06-28-2005, 06:34 PM   #6  
Battling the Inches

S/C/G: 185/162/142

Height: 5'7

I spoke witha nutritionist a couple of weeks ago (few weeks after I stared). Frommy size an weight, she said i should be taking in around 1500 a day. When i started i was taking 1200 a day--she said that had probably slowed down my metabolism and thats hwy i didnt see too much going on the first couple of weeks. Under eating is probably the worst thing you could do... no only is it unhealthy, but it just makes the struggle even harder. What I did (to start a diet) was to train myself to eat healthy--and keep my calories in check. I put a large emphasis on fiber. I like to binge.... i used to binge alot. I used to eat VERY fast. Well...that needed to change. So I started to watch my fiber... the fiber keeps you fuller longer. It also filters out your system (I forget exactly what it filters). I also take a daily multivitamin. I take that womens one (Chocolate chewwwww) oooh its grand!!!! I could eat a bunch of them haha.
LunaValkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 08:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am originally from central Indiana-Grant County. I am now a little more north, between the Fort Wayne and South Bend areas of Indiana.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 01:35 AM   #8  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm always changing, too. I know that I need to eat about 2800 calories a day to lose a pound a week, so I keep experimenting to find ways I can accomplish that without going crazy.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 256/179/135

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_elisha
I definitely can't commit to one particular diet. I'm constantly searching for a newer better way to lose weight. I think I'm still searching for the miracle cure. Whatever I try though, I keep coming back to counting calories. It just seems to work no matter what "diet" I'm on.
~Elisha
Same goes for me!
RoseWaddles is offline   Reply With Quote