Dieting with Obstacles - Friends With Ra And Oa #18

View Full Version : Friends With Ra And Oa #18

Happy Canuk
06-27-2005, 11:12 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/Iquve%20Got%20Something%20To%20Sayex.gif

Good morning. Hope you are all doing well.

Hubby is back to work today, after having the whole month off. It is NICE to just relax a bit today - not having to GO anywhere. Men just don't seem to be able to sit still - at least not mine. I don't know what will happen when it is time for him to retire :lol: We had a really busy month, being up in the city helping my son, sod his place, and my aunt and uncle move into a condo, after living in their home for 40 yrs. That was a REAL challenge. Between being away from home, and then the darn fatigue that comes, after a few days of activity, it is nice to do NOTHING.

Angel - sounds like you had a wonderful holiday. Hope you are feeling good.

Laura - things will work out as they will. There is NOT much you can do about it. It is sad, when people throw their lives away, but that is what drugs do. I guess you can't force somebody to get help. Just come here and vent.

Chris - I know how busy you are, chasing after little ones. Did you ask the Dr. about your feet? I must do that. My heel on my right foot is very painful. It is probably Achilles Tendon, but I am not sure about that.

It has been cold and rainy for this whole month. I don't remember when I have had soooooo much pain - everywhere. I am stiff and sore. Joints and muscles are hurting. Now I should be finished whining :lol: We have had floods through the whole of Alberta and my Ravine behind my house, is full of water, due to the creek flooding. I WANT SUMMER!!!! Can't even go sit outside, because the darn wind is cold. I hope JULY will be a whole different month. I WANT to complain about too much heat!!!

chrily
06-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Anne,
MY next appt with my doctor isn't until August. I'm getting my new running shoes tomorrow so hopefully that will help out some. I just got done mowing the lawn. It looked like an overgrown jungle in the backyard. i wanted to get it done before the rain hit again. We've gotten alot of rain this year so far. IT's nice. We've had a drought for several years now and we sure need the moisture. But I would like some sunny warm days too.

~chris

Joanne D
06-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Chrily- I buy running shoes too although I don't run. I just think they have more support than walking shoes. I walk.. That has been on the T/M since it has got so hot..
I got up late today so this is going to be short and sweet.. I never seem to get everything done that I want to.Happy wants summer. I want fall about this time of year..
My back yard looks like a jungle too. I keep telling hubby to get someone to clean it. That does no good. He just won't admit it is too much for him..I can't go out and hire someone ,he won't let them come on the yard.
Enough of my whinning. Bye...Joanne

sll2nyc
06-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Hi All!

My name is Shaye (nickname actually) and I have rheumatoid arthritis. I have lost weight in the past, but gained it all back. I am slowing starting to change my habits and have ordered Power 90. I also am searching for water exercise classes in my area. I just graduated from social work school and have gotten a new job AND will be moving in the next month. I am excited about all the changes. I think now is a perfect time to make additional positive changes. I sometimes have difficulties with exercise due to joint problmes and would love to join this thread. If anyone has any tips for exercise and coping with joint pain that would be wonderful.

chrily
06-28-2005, 02:06 PM
HEY Shaye, Welcome. This is a great group of gals. I think I'm the baby of the group. I'm a stay at home mom of 3 girls. I'm 34 yrs old...and have been diagnosed with RA for the last 3 yrs. They labeled it as palendromic rheumatism before that. I think they did that because the the RA test always came back sero-negative. I've been hurting for the last 6 yrs.My mom was recently diagnosed with RA too. She's been hurting off and on for the last 20 yrs. She just never got it checked out. I finally got her to agree about a month ago. She was having a hard hard time and I think she finally figured out it wasn't going to go away.

I too have a hard time with joints being sore after I exercise...but believe it or not, the more routine I am with exercising, the less it hurts. So what in the world is Power 90? I've never heard of that. I do the Leslie Sansone Walk away the Pounds tapes. I really enjoy though. I get a good workout without all the aches afterwards.

What meds are you on? I'm just taking methotrexate now. I was on Prednisone and Bextra for the longest time. I really ballooned up on the prednisone. YIKES! I packed on over 30 lbs. I'm slowly working my way back down. I hope to get aroun 150 lbs. someday.

Anyhow, I got a 6 yr old waiting to get her hair cut today so I have to go. I'll be looking forward to more posts from you. Have a great day!

~chris

Joanne D
06-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Welcome Shaye- Water exercise is great for ra or oa.. Easy on the joints. Walking is good too. I walk.. I tried the water but the pool I went to was too cold and I couldn't take the cold water.Get yourself on a good eating plan. WW or South beach .I combine and use both. To date I have lost 74 lbs and am at goal. I have been trying to lose another 5 lbs. Just because I want to.I just read that omega3 was good for arthritis.I have taken it for several years. Also good to get colesterol and trig. down. It also said that women should take flax seed oil. I think it is the same as the omega3 though. I am the mother/g/mother of this group. I am 72 years young.I have severe oa. You can do it..You have a new job.GREAT!. Now lets get a new you..You will have less pain with less weight.
Happy- It rained here some today. It never rains for any length of time..We will take what we can get..
Ok guys..Got to close this thing and go here the Bush talk.. I hope he can bring our boys home soon. My G/son is out of the navy now. He was over near Irag 2 times. He is safe now..Now he needs to go to school and get on with his life.
Bye..Joanne

chrily
06-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Joanne, I was reading up on Omega 3 too. It is supposed to be good for arthritis. I was reading that in the book Arthritis for Dummies. I got it for my mom but was thumbing through it the other day. That book is loaded with tons of information. I may pick up a copy of it for myself.

BTW, how long did it take you to get to your goal weight? I have never heard.

Okay Charlotte! Where are you hiding? I'm sure you are busy busy busy with your business, the station, and home. Waiting to hear from you.

Well sorry so short and not personal with everyone but I'm going to sneak into the bathtub and soak for a bit. My feet are crying out for some relief. I got my new running shoes tonight and a pair of Teva thongs. My sister works at Dillards so I had to give her the commission.... :D The Teva thongs are so comfortable and they actually have an arch so my feet won't be hurting.

~Night ladies
chris

sll2nyc
06-29-2005, 09:00 AM
Hi All!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I really appreciate it. I am currently reading a few books on eating small meals throughout the day and a program to end emotional eating. I also bought the new book, think thin be thin, which has small changes that you can make. It's already working, I think! I got a new walking DVD yesterday and will start using it this week. It's Madeline Lewis' Walking for Weight Loss. It seems interesting.

Chris - I'm 28 and I've had RA since I was 19/20. I was 19 when the symptoms started and 20 when I was diagnosed. I'm also sero-negative, so occassionally I have to be tested for lupus. It's interesting. I am currently taking prednisone, methotrexate and remicade. I'm not the greatest at taking my meds currently. I think I'm going through a rebellious phase. Power 90 is a program I found online. It is from an infomercial. It is a program where you alternate cardio and strength training workouts 6 days per week. Plus it has a nutrition plan. I haven't received it yet. I'm thinking that it will probably need to be modified.

JoAnne - I just started reading a book about pain-free arthritis. It has a lot of ideas for exercise, nutrition, and alternative therapies. I haven't gotten very far into it though. I'll let everyone know how it is. Thanks for all of the great ideas!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! It's time to get to work!

chrily
06-29-2005, 12:51 PM
Shaye, You took away my baby status... ;) Now I'm not the youngest anymore. I actually had a guy call me a grandma yesterday when I said arthritis. Can you believe that? I don't think very many people know what RA is like. How high is your methotrexate dose? I'm maxed on it but I've noticed some aches and pains creeping back in. I go to my doctor in August again so we'll see what he says. I know he said the next step would be Remicade too. Who would have thought that RA could be such an expensive disease.

I got tested for lupus right away because my Grandma died from lupus. I also had to go through the whole chest xrays and some extra blood work since my mom and brother both have sarcoidosis. Nothing like a family full of auto-immune disorders. I guess the odds were stacked against me on that one. I can even remember the first pains I had. It was on Dec. 31, 1999. My wrist started aching really bad and I hadn't done anything. By the next morning my shoulder hurt so bad, I couldn't lift it away from my body and when I tried to get it over my head, it would snap back just like a rubber band. Then it went away and over to my other shoulder. They though I had a rotator cuff injury. I knew I didn't. I went like that for a little over three years. Then I got pregnant with my last little girl and while I was PG, I didn't have a single flare up. BUt afterwards...OH MY GOSH! It came back with a vengeance so I went back to the rheumatologist and they did the full workup...thus the diagnosis of RA! It sure makes you appreciate the good days more.

OKay...I've stalled enough. Time to get the laundry folded. YUCK! I can't stand laundry. I have a room full of little girls that I might be able to "persuade" to help me. :D TTFN.

~chris

Happy Canuk
06-29-2005, 03:35 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/hellogoodmorninggoodnight/websize/have%20a%20wonderful%20day.jpg

Good afternoon, and I want to say welcome to Shaye. Well, Chris you can't be the "baby" all the time :lol: Shaye, you are young to be stricken with RA. Not a fun time. I had serious back problems when I was 29, and working and raising 2 kids and a hubby :lol: Finally, when I was 36, they did surgery. Now, I have OA in my lower back and hip, and perhaps a few other places, like my foot! Throw in a little FM to that mix, and you have a reak cocktail! I can usually deal with the pain, but the fatigue is something else.

Chris - I hope you got your girls helping fold the laundry. I was always lucky, as we built our own house, and I had main floor laundry. Never minded doing it. It was the darn bending to get the clothes out of the dryer that was the killer. I have now gone to stacking washer and dryer and that is so much easier.

Yes, Omega 3 does help with arthritis and heart (except for people who have pacemakers. Apparentley, they should NOT take it. Another good thing for pain is Bromelain (extract from the Pineapple). It works well.

Joanne - We have sunshine today!! I am happy and the pain is almost gone - just like that. Unfortunatley, it will be back by Friday, as another wet weekend is coming up. It is going to interfer with Canada Day long weekend on July 1st. I did water areobics for years, but had to quit when my back was so bad. Tried it again and ended up hurting myself. The arthritis is in the Facet Joints (the ones that give you motion) so that may be why. Even tried Deep Water Areobics and that was even worse. They make you wear one of those darn lifevests and I spend all my time wrestling with it to stay upright. I would do much better without one. I am sure not afraid of the water and can swim to save myself - hopefully.

Charlotte - hope all is well with you.

Hi Laura and Barb. Stop in when you can.

Hope you all have a nice day.

Angel-lover
07-01-2005, 11:35 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/JULY4THBEAR.gif

Hello everyone,
I haven't been able to get into the site, for some reason. My computer is acting up some, also. May need to do a virus scan.

Good to read all the posts!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/WelcomeHedgie.jpg
SHAYE!!

I'm 56....I've had RA for about 3 yrs now, & recently been diagnosed with Lupus & Fibromyalgia. The Lupus is medically induced, so I'm able to keep taking the Remicade. (Thank the Lord!) OA in the back & neck from a car accident in '83 & a few more ailments. I'm on Methotrexate shots once a week, & Remicade treatments every 5-6 weeks. I'm very sensitive to all meds, so for my treatments, they have to give me Zyrtec, Benadryl, etc., that knocks me out for a day or two...actually kind of drunk on the 2nd day. It's a miracle drug for me, though. When it "kicks in", it helps me sooo much. I fight the fatigue a lot.
I've done a lot of research recently, & found that sugar is a big enemy of RA & I'm a sugar addict. :( So, I went sugar free & doing much better witht he flare ups. Got a juicer & have been experimenting with different recipes. Some not so great.....but, good for me. Also, the water exercise does help, although I'm not near a pool. I do have a jacuzzi tub, though! ;) Glad you joined us. :D

I've got to get ready for work. (Shaye, I do volunteer work at a Christian TV Station to help me keep going...also, partnership with sister in an Herb Store.)
Hope all have a great Friday & weekend. I'll be back when I get a chance.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Kissesblowing.gif

chrily
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Charlotte, good to see a post from you. I was wondering where you went.

Just a quick check in from me. I am getting ready to cause myself some public humiliation by stepping into a swimsuit to take the kids to the pool with my sister. Wish me luck!!!!

~chris

Angel-lover
07-02-2005, 12:11 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Happy4thOfJuly-star.gif

I HOPE EVERYONE HAS A GREAT HOLIDAY WEEKEND!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Charlotte_16339.gif

Dinahgirl
07-04-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm new into this thread and glad I found it. I'm 55 and have had psoriatic arthritis since my mid-20s. It primarily affects my hands and feet, but the older I get the more I feel in my hips and shoulders as well. I've been on methotrexate for years, and am now on Remicade (?), since they took my beloved Bextra off the market. I think over the years I've been on every medication there is.

I quit smoking back in December and started walking...that seems to have helped some. I also am struggling with hbp and high cholesterol. Can I just have a week or two when I can't stop thinking about my health!? I added about 12 pounds from quitting smoking, too.

Anyway, hope you all have a great day today. It's pouring rain here in north Florida.

Dinah :)

Joanne D
07-04-2005, 10:52 AM
Welcome Dinah- North Florida..I live in West Central Florida.. My daughter lives in N/F.. I have OA and have had it for many years.. I don't take any meds for it except for pain most days.. I have taken just about all of them and my stomach will not tolerate them anymore.. Losing weight is the best thing and exercise is next.. I have lost over 70 lbs and feel much better for it..
I am spending part of the 4th cleaning house! No plans to do much but put a steak in the broiler tonight. We might go see some of the fireworks.
Everybody have a GREAT DAY...Joanne

sll2nyc
07-04-2005, 02:30 PM
:) Hi All!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful, relaxing day! I'm trying my best to have a good day. I have started flaring in the last couple of days so i'm trying to take it easy. I'm always torn between taking it easy or trying to keep going. I have a friend staying with me now that I know would love to do something, but I hate feeling this way, so I try and stay home and relax, take warm showers, that kind of thing. I hope she understands! What kinds of things do you all do when you feel the familiar feeling of joint pain? I would love to hear new tips!

Chris - I'm sorry I took your baby status! :( I am currently taking 17.5 mg weekly of methotrexate. I'm supposed to move up to 20 mg per week, but haven't gotten the correct prescription yet. I'm not the best patient right now so I haven't called the doctor yet. I also take 250 ml of remicade every 6 weeks, but I think that will be increased soon. It's been "wearing off" after about 4 weeks which is the reason I am having a flare now (I think). I also take tylenol for pain. It wasn't working well so they have given me vicodin for breakthrough pain. Finally, I take 5mg of prednisone daily. He's (my dr.) trying to move me down to 2.5 because I've been on it too long, but he's out of his mind IMHO. It's the only thing that I don't want to give up. Although, remicade is fast becoming something I don't want to give up. However, I work at an elementary school (last year was my first year) and I pick up every germ in the book, so I have to stop taking it often. So, that's a very long description of my meds, sorry for all the editorializing! ;)

Charlotte - Thanks for the warm welcome. It sounds like we are on similar meds. I'm considering volunteering when the school year begins and I'm all moved. I'm a social worker so I want to find volunteer work that has nothing to do with what I currently do. I'm thinking of volunteering with animal therapy groups. I'm still not sure. I also just got a piano, so I'm planning on taking a class at the community college. Also, to keep me active and to keep my hands mobile! Thanks again for being so nice!

Dinah! - Welcome! I just got on the boards too and everyone has been so nice. I have really appreciated them! I hope that you're feeling ok and that you have a great 4th!

Well, the hands are starting to give their queue that it's time to stop. I hope everyone has a great 4th. Thanks again for all the great messages. I love this board!

chrily
07-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Welcome Dinah! Sorry to hear you have arthritis too. I didn't realize how many people actually have it until I got diagnosed with RA. There's alot....

Anyhow, I'm Chris, a stay at home mom of 3 girls. I've had RA for a few years now I suppose. Since 1999. I'm taking methotrexate too, the max dose. I suppose my next course of action is going to be Remicade. I know my doctor has mentioned it and my feet are starting to act up again.

Shaye, don't worry. You can be the younger sibling of the group. :D I was on prednisone for 1 1/2 yrs. I must say, I did feel great while on it too but my mom became diabetic after she was on it long term for her sarcoidosis. I didn't want to, and hoping I won't, travel down the diabetic path. My mom has been having joint pain for years now (I just found that out). ANyhow as of late, she was doing so awful and getting crippled up badly. I finally got her to go to the doctor and she was diagnosed with RA 2 weeks ago. The dr. started her on Methotrexate right away...15 mg. and dicolfenac. She's feeling a bit better. She's got a long road ahead but I'm glad she finally got help.

Hi Charlotte, Hi Joanne. Hope you two are enjoying the nice summer days. I actually got up this am at 6:30 and did a Walk Away the Pounds tape. I'm going to make it a priority to get my exercise in first thing in the morning. If I'm going to get this weight off of me-I am making it a priority. And after reading about the sugar not being so good for arthritis-I'm limiting my intake of that.

Hi Anne! Are you enjoying your summer days? How warm does it get in Canada anyhow?

Okay...back to getting the kitchen cleaned. Breaks over for me! Talk to you all later.

Angel-lover
07-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Hi friends,

We're preparing for the hurricanes. DH & son are trying to get the shingles on the roof, so the black paper won't blow off. The eye of Hurricane Dennis is headed straight for us. Paula called this evening (our daughter from South AL). They are expecting a repeat of what they had before. She is supposed to fly out Sunday, to go to Iowa for 2 weeks (a job assignment). The airlines called her today & cancelled until Monday. I still worry. Of course, they won't take off if it's not safe, but you never know when something will happen unexpectly. She's baking cookies today, so her little girls will have something from "mom" while she's gone. I thought that was sweet. Please pray for her to have a safe journey & their safety at home. I pray for all in it's path. We are getting a lot of warnings. Being told to store food that can't spoil, because of power going off.

I've also been gone because of my computer. I've had a lot of trouble with it. I can't get into the forum a lot of days, because of it saying "can't find page", or I can read the posts, then try to reply....only for my Internet Explorer to crash. I'm trying to clean it out good. I don't have a lot of time right now, though, for the computer, because of the weather.

I didn't try for graphics, fearing of crashing again.....

Here's something special for all you to enjoy:

http://d21c.com/Seabird44/inspirations/heisgod.html

I hope all are feeling better that were sick. My prayers are with you all. I'm feeling pretty good these days. I'm midway with my treatment, so that helps. Stay safe. I'll be back when I can.

Love you, my friends.....
Charlotte

Dinahgirl
07-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Hi everybody from North Florida. We are watching the weather closely, don't know where Mr. Dennis is going to visit. I am in the eastern end of the track, but we'll get wind and rain wherever he goes. My son is a reporter and spent the night last night in Key West. Even though the eye passed them by, he said it was pretty dramatic. Last year we were spared all four of the storms that hit Florida. I hope our blessings stick!

I've been kind of achy this week -- I think due to a lot of fronts coming through. But I'm still trying to exercise as much as I can - Wednesday I walked more than 11,000 steps, including 2.5 miles on the bike trail.

Have a safe and happy weekend, everybody.

Dinah :) :) :)

chrily
07-09-2005, 11:59 AM
Praying for all of you in the hurricane area. I hope everyone stays safe.

Sorry for the short post. I have one good eye and one bad. I have an infection (I think) and my eye is swelling pretty good. After Kelly gets home from work, I'm going to the walk in clinic so I can get a prescription for some eye drops.

Talk to you all soon. I'll continue watching the weather channel and keep tabs on everyone.

~chris

Angel-lover
07-12-2005, 07:13 AM
[SIZE=4]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/22590.gif

Good morning friends,

We were blessed. Hurricane Dennis didn't hit us hard. Some strong winds & a lot of rain (which we're still getting). Also, Paula's house wasn't hit this time. There was one tree blown down, but it wasn't in her yard, but down by the road.

We were going through a lot, in another way, however. DH's dad had a massive heart attack Saturday, & died. I was at the grocery store, when DH called & told me to meet me at their house, because he'd received a call that his dad had passed out. When I got there, the paramedics were trying to revive him. They finally got him in the ambulance....& stayed quite awhile working with him. Got to the hospital with a "code blue", so we knew we were probably losing him. Everyone was sooo upset & there's a very large family. Papaw was the strong & wise one in the family. He never had anythng bad to say about anyone. He let me & my sister know a long time ago, that we were NOT in-laws to him! (we married brothers) It has been a terrible few days. The funeral was put off an extra day because of the weather, which makes it a little harder. We were blessed, though. Papaw had early stages Alziemers, & was grieving about it. He said he didn't want to live to get to the late stages....he loved his family too much & wanted to always know us. He was also a christian, very devoted to his God. Our God blessed us & him. He didn't have to see late stages of the disease & he went quickly....not suffering. He told Grandma that he felt like he was going to pass out, so he got a glass of water. After he took a sip, he passed out, & never regained conciousness. Grandma was upset that he hit his head hard when he fell, but I told her he never felt it........his head hit a cloud in heaven! Everyone agreed! The funeral is today, I dread it. DH has been so upset, that I can't stand it. They were very close. It's very early (I got up at 4am)....one of those sleepless times, & wanted to check on my friends.
My computer is doing better. I have been doing some cleaning on it.

I hope everyone is doing well. Maybe I can get back into the routine of posting individually soon. I love you all.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20three/hugs_bearandpillow_small.jpg

Joanne D
07-12-2005, 11:20 AM
Angel- I am so sorry for your loss.. He is in a better place. Take care of yourself. I know you will be very busy for a while.Time takes care of most things. I remember when my hubbys father passed. It took a long time for him to get over it. The storm passed us by. It dropped a lot of rain . We had no damage. We are high and so no flooding. We probably never will. Our neighbors down the street have to deal with that..
Bye Joanne

chrily
07-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Charlotte-I'm very sorry for your family's loss. Take comfort in knowing he's in a better place. I just don't know what else to say.

I'm very happy to hear that everyone faired okay with "Dennis". I was worried about everyone in that area after watching footage on the news and listening to all the reports.

Okay. I have to go. Lots to do today.

~chris

Angel-lover
07-16-2005, 08:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/gdaydaffrebel10.gif
Good morning ladies,
I'm trying to get my morning started.......but, very slow. Good to see all the postings. Thanks for the prayers, & sweet words. We're all slowly getting better. As my MIL says.......my dear FIL isn't confused anymore! We had the reading of the will Thursday night....so I hope that's the last hard thing we have to go through. DH will receive 1/3 of the land at MIL's death, as well as his share of household items. Grands will receive a momento each. My MIL gave me a beautiful clock yesterday that had been in the family since before DH & I married....& she knew I had always liked it. I'll take a pic later & show it to you. She's trying to give some of the things out now, so it won't be so hard later. She's in bad health & this has taught us all a hard lesson. DH & I are going to go make a will out soon. DH & I went by the grave & spent some time there after the will was read....it seemed to put some closure for DH. The TV Station had sent a flower basket with a cross that lights up automatically at night & seemed to be telling us that all was well.

I've got a busy day ahead. Thanks for the prayers & kind words. Have a good weekend.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/friendsforevernear.gif

ageoldie
07-16-2005, 08:12 PM
.Charlotte, I am so sorry to hear about your FIL. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Shaye,and Dianah, welcom to the group. I'm the one who come in and visits every now and then, can't seem to be regular.

Things have been very stressed around our house. I have told you all about the fact that our business has not been going well. I finally decided that I would have to get a "real" job, one that actually gave me a paycheck. Well, God moves in mysterious ways, and 2 days after I started sending out my resume, I got a call from the girl I used to work with, and my 'old' job has just become vacant and she asked me if I'd be interested in coming back there. It has been very strange, but I have just finished my first week. It was a very strange feeling being back after over 4 years, but I was suprised at how much I still remembered. I just hope I can hold up to working full time again. The first week has been so mentally tiring that I didn't have much time to think about how I was feeling.

In case you didn't know what I did before, I have gone back to work as a medical billing clerk for a group of 8 Rheumatologists. So at least I have my doc just right down the hall if I need anything.

I don't remember which one of you newer girls asked about exercising, but the answer is totally yes. That is the one thing that all 8 of our docs preach to everyone, the more you can exercise, the least your pain. Water aerobics is wonderful because it is so easy on your joints, but as someone said earlier, the cold water can be a problem.

Also my SIL in in the hospital, having a hard time. The put her in because she was having to start dialysis then she went home and started outpatient treatment, and she only had one sesson and became swollen and broke out with a really bad rash. So it was back to the hospital. Then while she was there she had a heart attact and has found out that she had 3 major blockages in her heart, one in her arm and one in her neck. The have done the bypass for the arterey in her neck, but say she needs to be stronger before they can do the heart bypass. And all the while, she is still having to do the dialysis, and her red blood count is way down so she has had to have blood transfusions. And she's about 5 years younger than we are. So keep her in your prayers too.

Well,I guess I've rambled long enough, hope everyone has a great weekend.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-11/200396/new%20siggys/Barbara_SpotOfTea-vi2.jpg

Angel-lover
07-20-2005, 09:57 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/HiThereLilacCat2.jpg

Hi everybody,

Sorry so slow about posting. I've been very busy. I've been taking care of paper work for MIL. Doing her shopping.... etc.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/shopping.gif

Then, I had a lot of housework to catch up on.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/washingmachine.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/ironing.gifhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/dusting.gif

Well... 1/2 of the house is shingled!! DH has a little work this week, so the other half has to wait. We got bad news. My DH's job is suffering. The main store he works out of is closing soon. The owner is rich & has decided to retire & enjoy life. Don't blame him, but will make it rough on us. We knew something was going on, because the only work he's had lately is what he's got up for himself. He has a good reputation & this gets him jobs. Times are hard, though, & people are getting tighter with their money. We've got some decisions to make pretty fast. It just doesn't look like it's meant for us to have a stress free life anymore. In fact, not even a stress free week.

Barbara....Hope you get used to your new job soon. Hey, that would be handy...working close to your dr. Praying for your SIL. Keep us informed.

I've got a lot to do today. Hope all have a pain-free day...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/hagdpurpleflowers.gif

Joanne D
07-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Hello Everybody- We are off to the beach tomorrow in N/Fl. I will be gone till the 1st of August. That may seem strange as I live a mile from the Gulf. It is really nice up there although I am not sure what we will find after Dennis. I know the seclusion and sunrises/sunsets are the best. We will be with my daughter and her family. That is always enjoyable. Stay well..
Angel- Life is full of challenges for us. I know it has always been that way for me.. I can't imagine what a day/week would be without something not being upside down.All I can do is butt my head down and keep on going. I hope things get better for you. Keep telling yourself "this too will pass". There is always the next hill. I am looking for the sunny side. I may never find it,but, I just keep looking.
Have a Great Week everyone...Joanne

chrily
07-20-2005, 08:21 PM
Sorry I've been missing too. Been busy around here. I've decided to go back to school so I've been getting all that lined up. I'm going to work on my AAS degree in Accounting and then after I get that, I'll work up to a BA. It'll be different. I'm like the rest of the world, I guess. My dad plans on retiring when he's 62 instead of waiting because he'll lose alot of his social security. I figured if I can get my degree, it'll leave me with alot of job opportunities and also help out Kelly with his appliance business.

Charlotte-Sorry to hear about your husband's job. Seems the way things are going anymore for alot of people. Something good will happen though. I'll pray about it for you.

Joanne-Glad to see a post from you. I was worried that you got blown away with the hurricane. Alot of you ladies live down that way. I would be scared out of my mind!

Barb-Wasn't that a pleasant surprise to have your old job position open up right when you needed it. I hope you enjoy it.

Okay. I have to figure out dinner. Talk to you all soon.

~chris

Happy Canuk
07-21-2005, 04:33 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/getwellfeelbetter/prayinggirlsup.jpg

Charlotte - my sympathies to you and your family on the loss your FIL. It is so hard to lose the ones we love, but know that he is now in a place where pain and confusion don't exist.

You do seem to be having more than your share of troubles. I hope your hubby is able to hang on to his job. It is just so hard to find another when you get past a certain age.

Barb - nice to see you. Glad you got your old job back. It isn't so hard to relearn it, so the stress levels will be less. I hope your SIL is doing ok. What a worry!

Chris - how exciting for you, going back to school. I am sure you are looking forward to this.

I hope everybody survived the latest hurricane. I don't know how you can live in an area like that. It would scare me to death. We have had a couple of bad tornados here, and that does the same. MOstly, they hit out in the country, but now and then they cause a disaster. Lived in Alberta for 59years and for 43 of those years, never heard of a Tornado. Just in the past few years.

Hope you all have a nice day.

chrily
07-27-2005, 10:57 PM
I am sorry for not keeping track of my posting like I should. Seems kind of quiet on here. I've been working all week so far because my co-worker took her vacation. Let me tell you...I'm not used to it.

No aches to report...with the exception of my aching feet but I'll find out what needs to be done for that at my next appt. He's booked up until Sept. 14th. Busy man. Or alot of people with arthritis woes.

I'm all signed up for my classes. Now I just wait on my finanacial aid papers. Hopefully I at least will qualify for a loan. We make too much for grants and free funds. Oh well. I'm getting more excited by the day though. This will be a great experience for me.

Gotta go see if there is any comfy Old Navy tees on ebay. My shirts are all looking sloppy and holey any more. Time for some new stuff.

~chris

Angel-lover
07-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi Everybody,
Sorry I'm gone so much lately. I suppose summer is effecting the posting for all of us. I've had my hands full with other things also.

Did accomplish one thing....I brought all my angels in from storage & put them on a shelf above the computer. Also, picked up a new kitchen table with 6 chairs we had bought 2 years ago & they kept it for us. I'm bringing in my pictures, & going to buy some cheap curtains to hang. If I put up my good ones, they will get too dusty. DH said we would clear out one room at a time to sheet rock & get finished, so this way I can have my things in the house. It helps my feelings a little to have these things around me.

Chrily...I hope everything works out well for you with your schooling. I suppose it will take you away from us a lot....but, we'll try to understand, as long as you do check in! :D

Happy Canuk, & everyone....thank you for your sympathies. Just keep praying for my MIL, please. She's a strong person...but, she does have her moments. We've been busy trying to get all the income for her that we can.

Hope all are well. Take care. I had a treatment Tuesday, so still don't feel well.
Love you all,
Charlotte

chrily
08-03-2005, 08:35 PM
i have had the worst day. I watched my sister's boys while she worked and Samantha spent the night with Kayla so I had a houseful. My blood pressure and stress level is so over the top right now. My sister nailed it right on the head. You either want to be so mad or just go into a room, lock the door, and cry. The constant demand of 5 children, the messes, the bickering...all the things I just can't take. I have no idea how these mom's with lots of kids do it. It is just not something I can handle. It's days like this that make me wonder if my anti-depressants are at a high enough dose.

My SIL's father had a heart attack on Monday and died shortly after so the funeral is on Friday. I didn't really know him too well but I think I'll try to find a babysitter so that I can go just to let them know we care.

Nothing else is happening right now. My sisters' and I are going to start making baby quilts for a side business (just for some play money...e.i. clothes, scrapbooking stuff, bingo nights, etc). We'll see how well we do. None of us really work during the day and Jen & I are the ones going to school online so it seems like something we can do together. We'd be a more productive group than what we are right now. :D

Gotta go check on dinner. Kelly is doing some evening calls and then he's going to watch the girls so I can have a break and go to Jen's house to cut out some quilt pieces.

Hope all is well with everyone. It is so quiet. I know Joanne isn't around right now...but where o where or where is Charlotte, Anne, Barb...and our new girls Shaye and Dinah. I'd love to hear what everyone is up to. I'm kind of doing the achy tenderness more often. My wrist has been tender for a week now and my feet still hurt. I can't get in to my doctor until Sept 14th. Guess I'll just limp along and take some tylenol....Just not sure if I want to hear what he says. :)

~chris

Joanne D
08-04-2005, 12:40 PM
I'm here ,just been really busy catching up . I swear you work yourself to death getting ready to go away and the same putting everything away when you get home. We spent a week at a great beach. I took loads of clothes that I didn't wear. I will know better next time. I stayed in a bathing suit most of the time. All we did was sit on beach and read ,swim, and eat. We didn't leave the beach house once.Now I am back at my eating plan. I go to Tops tonight and will more likely be a pound over. I tried to stay on my eating plan but it's really hard..Hope everyone is well. Bye for now...Joanne

chrily
08-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Joanne, SOunds like you had a nice relaxing time. I'm so jealous. These last couple weeks have been hectic around here and its seems like there is no time to relax. I'm working, or watching kids, or cleaning...and there's been 2 funerals and 1 wedding in the last week and 7 birthdays in the last 2 weeks. YIkes! I'm going to go curl up with a book before I go to bed. My brother is staying with us tonight. He doesn't like to be in his house alone when my mom's not there. She's on vacation with my aunt. So I have my "little" brother for a house guest. That's our joke. He's like 6 ft 5 in. He is younger though.

TTFN,

Chris

Joanne D
08-05-2005, 08:15 PM
Chrily- Put the little brother to work helping you. He is probably eating there too? Yes I did have a nice time at the beach. It was just not long enough. If I had my way that is where I would live. Ofcourse ,I would have to have a lot of money to do that. It costs a lot to maintain a beach house,concidering storms etc.Hope things get easier. How are you doing on your eating plan?
Hey Angel.. Things get better all the time. Putting out things that make you happy is a start.
Hello everybody...Joanne

chrily
08-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Morning ladies...
Well I had a very rough night last night. IT didn't even have anything to do with RA, believe it or not. I pulled a muscle or something in my chest and it hurts. Sleeping was next to impossible. I couldn't find a comfortable position to save my life. :dizzy: It hurts into my back too...esp. when I bend over or stretch. Deep breaths are out of the question. I've done this before, but I really really don't know HOW!

MY darling little daughter has decided to stay away from home for another 10 days. She went to stay at a relatives house and work in their family restaurant...so sh'e in heaven. She's having such a great time. She'll be back on the 16th. Then its going to be a race to get her ready for school. 6th grade already. She would have been in 7th but I held her back a year. I'm getting old..... :lol:

Today Nicole turned 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My baby girl isn't little anymore. No more babies for me though. These 3 are wearing me out already. Besides, I'd have to go off methotrexate for a few months before trying and I'm not ready to live with all the pain. No way.

HOpe you all are having a great day! I'm going to slowly try to get some stuff done. I'm not going to overdo it though. Move slowwwww...... :D and it won't hurt so bad. Gotta get going. Kayla has a birthday party for a schoolmate to go to also today.

~ttfn,

chris

LuvdBy3Angels
08-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Good Evening Everyone
I hope that I am correct when assuming that RA and OA are forms of arthritis.
I am 29 years old and 4 years ago after the unexpected death of my brother and my mother shortly there after, I maxxed out at around 402 pounds. Well , today I weigh around 240 pounds. Big weight loss, yes, but I beleive that now that I have lost so many pounds that my body is starting to feel the effects. I woke up Saturday morning my right knee was extremely stiff, I went to work anyway. I work at a hospital, and I am on my feet for atleast 12 hours. By the time my shift ended, I ended up in the ER because my leg had given out on me. The doctor stated that I had torn a muscle. Well, I woke up this morning, and both of my knees are exactly the same. I am in excrutiating pain. I cannot walk at all. My dear husband has to help me use the bathroom, and had to give me a sponge bath because I cannot get in or out of the tub. I am so extremely scared. I feel so helpless. Does this sound at all familiar with any of you ladies? If so, what kind of physician do you see? I plan on calling my family doctor in the morning to see what he has to say. But, until then I know it will be a sleepless night.

chrily
08-08-2005, 01:20 AM
Luvd, First I'd like to say congratulations on losing all that weight. It really does help your joints out. Here's what happened to me. One night I felt a strange pain in my wrist that migrated up to my shoulder and then a few days later, it happened in my other arm. It's a parallel pain. The pain would flare up and come and go in all the different joints of my body. I am 34, and have RA for the last 6 yrs or so. I never got the official diagnosis until 3 yrs ago. My advice to you would be to go to a rheumatologist or a sports medicine doc. My first doc. was with a sports med. doctor, who couldn't figure it out...but then again, he never ran any blood work. Then I had a weird night when my hand swelled up like a rubber glove and it hurt so bad and burned, I sat up all night crying cradling my arm because I didn't know what to do. I went to a Internal Medicine doc and he referred me to a great rheumatologist. I've been seeing him ever since. Don't wait though...there is nothing more miserable than that intense constant pain. I really feel for you there. I've had alot of times where I cried and cried cause it hurt so bad and got stranded on the toilet until I had enough courage to rock my body, and finally push myself up and then stand there waiting for my legs to hold me up long enough to make that shuffle back to bed. That was when I got taken off some medicine that was causing liver damage. I had to be off everything until my liver counts went down to normal. 2 months of misery. Thank God for my current medicine (methotrexate). Don't delay...and try not to stress to bad (I know, easier said than done, but try). Stress sets of that little cycle of pain. Stress makes the pain worse, which stresses one out, and causes more pain...etc.

Anytime you want to talk, you can catch me on here...or Private message me too. I'll try to answer any questions you have. There's alot of nice ladies on here...who also know alot about RA and OA.

~chris

LuvdBy3Angels
08-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Chris:
Thank you so much for your reply. It wasn't a completely restless night, although I did only get about 3 hours sleep, it was more than the night prior. Well, I woke up this morning and the swelling in my knees is going down a little bit (more in one than the other) the pain is still there though, but not as bad as the past couple days. The strange thing is now my right hand is starting to do the same thing. It started yesterday with my right middle finger, this morning it is all of my fingers on my right hand. They are very swollen and painful.

I am going to call my doctor this morning, and see if he can refer me to Rheumatologist. I think that I will take your advice and get this ball rolling. I want my normal life back as soon as possible. Again, thank you for your advice, it really has helped me figure out what to do next.

Debbie

Joanne D
08-08-2005, 12:26 PM
Debbie- That is what I call my daughter. Her name is Debra. I have had OA since I was very young. I am a young 71 now. Go to your Dr. and get the help you need. You are too young to have to put up with this. I think I had OA when I was still in my teens but was not diagnosed till many years later. Good that you have lost so much weight. Now get busy and lose the rest. You will have less pain. Exercise is one of the best things for OA/RA. Keep the joints moving or they will stiffen and not move.I walk. Some days I think I can't go 20 minutes. But I do and as I walk further the pain lessons.I don't take any meds but over the counter. I ruined my stomach years ago with arthritis meds. Your Dr. should be the judge of what you take. If it hurts you tell him so.Stress makes your muscles tighten up. That is part of the pain. When I am the most stressed ,that is when I hurt the most. I belong to TOPS. It is a weight loss support group. You can use your own eating plan and get the support you need..
Hello everybody. Back later. Mondays are for the birds. Joanne

chrily
08-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Debbie, HOpe I didn't sound too pushy. See, my mom waited and waited for a long time until it was almost unbearable before she finally went to the doctor. I tried and pleaded with her for the longest time to go but she didn't. WHEn I finally got her to go, she already had alot of joint damage. In her feet, the RA actually caused holes in her bones. I don't want to see that happen to you. Please keep us informed about your condition.

~chris

Joanne D
08-09-2005, 08:48 PM
I am waiting for cooler weather. The humidity is terrible down here in Fl. My OA hurts and everyday I find a new pain.. I tried to do some work outside today and could only last about 30 min.Maybe I am getting younger? :?:
Tomorrow is my daughters 49th birthday. I just can't believe it. She is so full of life that it is hard to vision her at mid age. It is just how you feel and have good health. She seems to have good health and she takes good care of herself,Thank God.
Hello Angel..How are you?
Stay well everybody..Joanne

Angel-lover
08-09-2005, 09:55 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/pray3.gif

Chrily

I do hope you get to feeling better. I know that must be very painful! Happy Birthday to Nicole!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/PinkLilliesWelcome.jpg
Luvd
Sorry you've had so many problems. Congratulations on the weight loss!
I have RA, OA, Lupus, & Fibro........The RA started first. Just the middle finger of the left hand started hurting, then swelling, then thobbing day & night. I made an appointed with my GP & he took an x-ray & made an appt with a Rheumatologist. I thought he was crazy...but, by the time appt time came, both hands were in a bad shape. With 6 months, I had it all through my body. Sometimes, it will stop at a point. My daughter has it only in her hands...which is bad enough. Don't waste any time. If I hadn't gotten to a Rhreumatologist as soon as I did, I'd be in a wheelchair! Take care & I hope you stay with us.

Hi Joanne...your vacation sounds great. Wish I could do that. I've been really stressed lately. I do have my angels to look at now, though. ;) Happy Birthday to your daughter!

Gotta go check out my website. For some reason, my guestbook is gone! I'm highly upset, for I've worked hard on my website. I had 165 signatures. I'm praying I can find it.
Hope all feel well tonight.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/beautiful_6742.gif

chrily
08-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Just a fast check in for me. My ex MIL passed away tonight. Apparently it was a heart attack. She's been in a nursing home about 70 miles from here. She had emphysema too. Surprising in a way, but expected.

That's about all the news around here.

~chris

Jenilala
08-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi everyone! I was so excited to find this forum in here! My name is Jennifer and I am 32. I was diagnosed with RA when I was about 24 years old. I am going through a remission period right now I think since I have been pain free for a few months but when it hits it really makes it hard for me to function. I have been married for 4 years and with my husband for 11. We have two boys, Cameron is four and Chase is 19 months. I have been blessed in the fact that I do not need medicine and loose all symptoms of RA when I am pregnant. I am not sure what else to share... :lol: So if anyone has questions feel free to ask me :D I am very open!

chrily
08-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Hi Jenilala, I'm Chris. I'm 34 yrs old. I've had RA for 6 yrs now. I didn't get diagnosed with it until 3 yrs ago. I was fortunate to go for a long time without meds...but after my last little girl was born, I hurt. While I was pregnant with her, I never had any pain or flares. I've been on methotrexate for 2 yrs now. I've had some very bad and very rough days and nights. Once for 2 months, I could barely get around. They had to take me off all my meds because one was causing some liver damage. So I couldn't take any new meds until my liver count went back to normal. Currently, I'm getting more pain in my feet again. Darn it! Don't know what they'll do next. I'm on th max dose of methotrexate. Other than the diseased part of me...I've been married for the last 7 yrs to my 2nd husband. We have 3 daughters. Tiana is 12. (the only good thing from the 1st one). Kayla is 6. And Nicole is 3. I work part time for my dad....and on Sept. 7, I'm going back to school for my degree in accounting. I like to sew, read...and play on the computer, of course. :) Nice to meet you and I'm really looking forward to reading more posts from you.

~chris

Joanne D
08-22-2005, 12:38 PM
Welcome Jenilala and hello everybody.. I have had computer problems due to a lightening strike. Had to replace modem and buy new phone.
Angel- I hope things aren't too bad with hubbys job. Sometimes it seems like good people can never get a break.
My vacation was nice just not long enough.Now I want to lose the weight I picked up. I watch what I eat,but things sneak up on me. I am trying to get my routines back with my walking. I walked the first time last week to the beach. It has been too hot and so I have been walking on the T/M .Boring!. Now the arthritis has flared up in my l/ankle and I am not having it so easy walking anywhere. I will just rest it today..Ofcourse I have already done 2 loads of wash.Never a dull moment.
Bye for now...Joanne

chrily
08-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Joanne,
You sound like a busy lady. I've been trying to get more exercise in. It must have paid off...I lost 2 lbs from last week. Halleluah!!!! The kids go back to school on Wed. That will leave me and Nicole home all day. Maybe I can get more done around here. Her problem is she is just too darn busy for this mom.

I do start school myself on the 7th of Sept. Wish me luck! I took some classes that are easier, but required, so I can ease myself into this without being too overwhelmed. kelly's business is doing good. So that's been keeping him extra busy. The money's nice though. :D

I must go make some dinner for my little family. SOme are claiming total starvation now.

Talk to you soon,

~chris

Joanne D
08-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey Chris-- I try to stay busy. I was a charge nurse in a nursing home the las 15 years I worked. I say first hand what happens to people who don't keep their mind and body active.. My life now is not as stressful though. I do things on my time schedule.
Good for you on the weight loss. Keep up the good work,you will feel so much better with good health.
What are you studying in school? I am so in favor of continuance learning.I am a avid reader. I learn something new everytime I get another book.Both of my children have college degrees and good positions. My G/daughter will graduate from college next spring. Good luck to you in whatever you desire.
Hello everybody...Joanne

Angel-lover
08-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi everybody,
Sorry....no time for graphics. I'm making copies of CD's & making the jackets & labels for friends who have a new recording. That makes my computer crawl if I try to do anything else. So.... At least, I'm making a little grocery money. DH is putting in applications. So far....nothing. We've had hard times before, but it still isn't fun. Hopefully, things will be better soon. I enjoy helping with the CD's. I've also been busy with other things, such as trying to get my MIL's pension started (or transferred over) since my FIL passed away. We're wondering if all the work is going to end. Still haven't bought the headstone yet.....haven't gotten to it.

Me, on the other hand, has gotten as big as the side of the house! I've worried & stressed...........so I eat!!!! That's how I always gain my weight. I can't seem to get any will power. I hate how I look & don't want to get in front of the cameras. Not vanity so much.......people love to make remarks about weight gain........... It hurts my feelings, when I know I gained because of depression. There's no one to talk to & I sure don't want to put more on DH. I suppose I'll just pray a lot about it. I know I have all of you, but, like I said, I'm going to be busy. I'll try to check out the posts early in the mornings while cooking breakfast. I do love you all so much.

Welcome to Jenelala.............I'm usually more talkative & love graphics. I'm so glad you're in remission. Hopefully, you won't get too bad with the RA. I have RA, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, & OA. Lots of meds, but active. I volunteer at a local Christian TV station as secretary. Help co-host the evening news, weather, etc., & have my own program on Monday nights "Vision of Heaven". I love to sing. I have a website, if you'd like to check it out. Just click on the link at the bottom of my post. You'll find I like poems & angels! They encourage me. Well....that's enough about myself......oh, only I have 11grands, & recently became a great-grandmother! A wonderful husband of 37 years!

Chrily & Joanne...sounds like you are keeping pretty busy! Hope you're both doing well.

Hope all are feeling well,
Charlotte

Happy Canuk
08-24-2005, 02:36 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/BADVIRUSDAANOTE-vi.gif

Good day to all of you.

Jenilala - (hope I spelled your name right) Welcome to our little group. You are so young to be afflicted with RA, however, I guess age has nothing to do with it. I am 59, mother of 2, grandmother of 2. I have had major back problems since I was 29, culminating in surgery at 37. From there, I developed OA in the lower back, and hip and then my friend Fibromyalgia came to play with OA. So, since these two are always with me, I have had to accept them :lol: Almost bosom buddies.

Chris - I guess you are getting ready to get everybody back to school and get yourself ready for school as well. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you have an easy semester. It must be hard to do that with little ones, but if it is something you really want, you will succeed.

Joanne - Sorry you are hurting. I know how much you like to walk. I hope that it will pass soon.

Angel - My goodness, what a time you people have had. I sure hope things swing in another direction for you. As for the weight gain, please don't feel bad. It happens. Depression and inactivity from pain, and food are sometimes so very lethal to us all. We live in countries where food is bountiful and we are thankful, but sometimes I think we have waaaaaay to many choices. It makes life interesting, for sure. I am going to post a little thing I came across this morning. Hope it will make you feel better.

Sometimes we wonder,

"What did I do to deserve this",

or "Why did God have to do this to me."

Here is a wonderful explanation!

A daughter is telling her Mother

how everything is going wrong...

she's failing algebra,

her boyfriend broke up with her

and her best friend is moving away.

Meanwhile, her Mother is baking a cake

and asks her daughter if she would like a snack,

and the daughter says,

"Absolutely Mom, I love your cake."

"Here, have some cooking oil," her Mother offers.

"Yuck" says her daughter.

"How about a couple raw eggs?"

"Gross, Mom!"

"Would you like some flour then?

Or maybe baking soda?"

"Mom, those are all yucky!"

To which the mother replies:

"Yes, all those things seem bad all by themselves.

But when they are put together in the right way,

they make a wonderfully delicious cake!

God works the same way.

Many times we wonder why He would let us

go through such bad and difficult times.

But God knows that when He puts these things

all in His order,

they always work for good!

We just have to trust Him and, eventually,

they will all make something wonderful!

God is crazy about you.

He sends you flowers every spring

and a sunrise every morning.

Whenever you want to talk, He'll listen.

He can live anywhere in the universe,

and He chose your heart.

If you like this, send this on to

the people you really care about. I did.

I hope your day is a "piece of cake!"

Life may not be the party we hoped for,

but while we are here we might as well dance!

We are having to move next week - thank goodness it is just across the hall, but still a huge job. They are selling this condo we are in now. We don't want to buy anything right now, as prices are just way too high, and one of these days, they will fall again, and THEN we will buy ourselves another condo. I have been having such bouts of fatigue that I really feel incapacitated by it. I don't have the energy to type even. I do read and I do think of all of you everyday. I need energy from somewhere for the next week. I have a little more today, so maybe ......... I think it is from a combination of FM and the heart meds that I take for Atrial Fibrillation.

I hope you all have a good day.

chrily
08-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Looks like the majority of us are having a hard time. I had 2 panic attacks last night and methotrexate seems to be having a little "fun" with my intestinal tract...need I say more. That's enough fun for me.

I got the girls back to school today so its primarily me and Nicole. WE'll keep busy. I gotta go. My kids are flocking out around the neighborhood. I have to go reign them in....

~chris

Angel-lover
08-29-2005, 08:40 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20five/woohoodancingmouse.gif
THE ROOF IS FINISHED!!!!

I just had to let you girls know that DH finished the roof! He has worked continually the last two days. With the bad weather coming, he wanted to get it finished. I'm so glad that's over with. Also, we've been approved for a loan to finish the house. I don't know yet, how long it's going to take to get the money...but, that helped our feelings a lot. It'll be 3 yrs in November, & we're both pretty worn out & stressed.
DH has work for the next three days. A pretty good job. Thank the Lord for that. He still needs work after that, so help us pray.

I'm so concerned for everyone in the path of Katrina. I hope you all stay safe. We're very worried for our daughter. They won't come stay with us, this time. She is very sick & doesn't feel up to traveling. They're going to ride out the storm in her MIL's basement. She was supposed to go to Gulf Shores Sunday on a business trip. I'm so glad it was cancelled. Of course, she was sick, but with her job......she has to be on her deathbed, almost, to cancel out on her on.

Thanks so much for the poem, Happy Canuk.........it meant a lot! Love you.

Just wanted to check in & tell about the roof. I know with the weather, I may be off awhile. Suppose to get rough here by tomorrow....so, don't know what to expect. At least, we're not in southern Alabama.
Stay safe. Love you all,
Charlotte
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/a_rose.gif

CrazyChubbyBeautiful
08-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Can I join? I am asssuming that I have OA. I broke my foot really bad last year and was told I would probably get arthritis in it (which has happened), plus I have a heel spur in the other foot and have been experiencing hip and finger stiffness and pain. I haven't seen a Dr. yet because I'm not sure what type of doctor to see, LOL. I take Aleve daily for inflammation and also stretch and weight train. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Joanne D
08-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Welcome crazychubbybeautiful.. Looks like you have a good start in losing the weight. That will do a lot towards helping the oa. Make sure you see a dr. for a diagnosis. Aleve is promoted to help oa pain. So far I am not seeing any results although I sometimes take it along with other otc's and a scrip for pain.
Angel handclaps for the roof.. I hope you don't get much of the storm. We lucked out this time. I see where 2 more are on the way..It is a usual monday here so I will make this short.
Hello everybody...Joanne

chrily
08-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Hey girls! Wow, Charlotte, Congratulations on getting a roof over your head. I bet you are so ecstatic...you're probably doing a happy dance. Another gal I talk to on 3fc lives in New Orleans. I hope she's okay too.

CCB-(i'm too lazy to type all that right now). Welcome to the thread for aches and pains. These gals are great and loaded with information. I'll be looking forward to more posts from you. My opiniion is- go to a rheumatologist and continue with an anti-inflammatory. Aleve hurts my stomach too bad to take. My mom can't take it either. If it works for you...take it.

Joanne-How close are you to Katrina? Hopefully not too close. I'll be sending prayers your way and Charlotte's daughters way. I am so thankful I don't live in hurricane areas. Of course, we have our occasional tornado but thats even rare. WE just get drought conditions constantly.

Hey Anne! How are you too? Haven't heard much from you lately. Hope all is well in your area.

HI Barb!!!!

~chris

Angel-lover
08-29-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Welcome, CCB! I usually use lots of graphics...but, tired tonight. Where do you live in Michigan? I was raised in Detroit, MI. Have always been a country gal, though. I like your picture....you're a pretty lady. :) Kind of mad at you though.........you were born the year I graduated from high school! ;) I try my best not to look (or act) my age, though. :D
You need to see your General Practioner & let him/her refer you to a Rheumatologist, if needed. The earlier you get on these things, the better.

Well, the storm is just hitting us! Going to be a bad night. Won't be like LA or the Gulf Shores, but could lose our new roof. :( Maybe not.

I've got to go. Love you all. Stay safe.
Charlotte

CrazyChubbyBeautiful
08-29-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks so much for the welcomes. I was in the same building that my regular doctor is in today. I should have made an appointment while I was there. D'oh!

Charlotte, thank you for the compliment. I've chopped all my hair off since that pic was taken. Everybody else hates it, but I love it. :lol: I live in Dearborn and work in Southfield, so I've got Detroit surrounded. ;) Where in Alabama are you? My grandmother lives in Florence.

Happy Canuk
08-30-2005, 01:41 AM
Hi gals. http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/Uturns-Hello.gif

Welcome CCBeautiful. Glad you found us. I don't have RA, but I do have OA and FM. That is ENOUGH pain for me :lol: I am 59 and live in Western Canada. Hope you like our little group.

Charlotte - Sure hope you are safe. This must be terrifying. I don't think I could stand to live with those hurricanes. I hope your new roof stays put, as it would be just terrible if it got torn off.

Chris - I am here, just been busy packing. I am moving on Wednesday and I have such a short supply of energy. Been working away, slow but steady. Not much time for the computer.

Hi Joanne. Hope you are feeling better and I do hope that you were untouched by this storm.

Hope you all sleep well and have a great day tomorrow.

http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/Hugs1111111111.gif

Angel-lover
08-30-2005, 10:28 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20one/beautifuldaybutterfly.gif

Good morning,
Well, it was a rough night, but we made it. Tornado watches out all night, also. It's still windy & raining, but better. Should be clearing up by noon. It's my day off, so I'm going to stay in until time to do "Tennessee Valley Now". We had a lot of closing to announce yesterday....suppose it'll be openings today.
We've been approved for a construction loan to finish our house. I'm hesitant about getting excited....it's just been so long. Three yrs in Nov. since the fire. I'll feel better when we actually have some money in hand. Maybe this will force the work to go faster. DH will have to hire help & that's good. House will be finished faster, & he won't have to work so much. I've worried about him a lot.

Happy Canuk...I love that hug graphic! Hope you're feeling as well as you can today. I'm surprised I'm not any more fatigued than I am. Just one week until treatment time. My nurse is back.....cancer free! I'm so happy for her & me too! I got stuck 4 times last time & had a bruise the size of a baseball (actually!) on my arm. It's still not totally gone.

CCB...I used to go to a park quite often in Detroit, called Belle Isle. Know it? You could look over into Canada, across the river & see cars & people!
Hey, girl.......I live about 37 miles from Florence! It's a little wide spot in the road called "Belgreen". Between Russellville & Redbay. If you visit your grandmother sometime, let me know. We'll meet somewhere & have lunch! Of course, it'll be a diet lunch. ;) At least that's what we'll tell everyone here. :D
I do a lot of my shopping in Florence, & that's where my Rheumatologist is. I'll be going there Sept. 7th for a treatment.

Hi Chrily....have you started your schooling yet? I hope you enjoy it.

Hi Joanne...Glad you made it through the hurricane ok. I worry about everyone. My daughter called last night. They don't know of any damage yet, as they were still in her MIL's basement. She's still very sick.

Well, need to go. Everyone take care & have a good day.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/Number%20two/Bowhugs.gif

Joanne D
08-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Chrily- I live on the west central part of Fl. As a matter of fact I live just over a mile from the Gulf of Mexico. We didn't get more than 5 minutes of rain from the storm. Those poor people where it hit!
Angel- I am glad you didn't lose your new roof. That would have been awful. It is nice you are going to get the rest of the house finished.
Happy- We would have liked a little more rain from the storm. Most people from the northern areas love Fl. They go back a few months out of the year but never in the winter. They are just tired of the cold weather and the snow.
CCB- The gals are right .Find a good Dr. and get yourself healthy. You are young .
The guys are here to get rid of my termites. So I'll be back later...Joanne

chrily
08-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Charlotte-Sound glad to hear your roof made it through the night. Did you get any sleep though? I wouldn't be able to with tornado watches and all. Have you been keeping in touch with your daughter? She was closer to the hurricane, wasn't she?

Joanne-I read the article in the paper today for the hurricane. The pictures were devastating. I can't begin to imagine what being in one is like. I'd be scared to death for sure.

CCB-I never even looked at your profile before. I didn't know you had a picture. You're a beautiful gal. I should put a pic on here sometime. I just hate photos of myself though. Paranoid.... :lol:

Anne-I forgot you were moving and packing. Hopefullly you're almost done with that. Then of course, there's always the unpacking. YUCK! Hang in there...

Hi Barb! I know you're out there somewhere. How's your job going? Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Anyhow, the countdown is on. I only got 2 weeks left until my doctor appt. I need to give blood on Thursday again. I hate that part. I'll be interested in finding out what he wants to do with my feet. They still ache in the morning pretty good. Kind of sore during the day but not as bad once I get moving.

I gotta go. I need to forward the business phone to my MIL so I can get some errands done. Have a good day and I'll check back this evening.

~chris

Happy Canuk
08-30-2005, 01:28 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/Iquve%20Got%20Something%20To%20Sayex.gif

Good day to all of you.

Charlotte - so glad that your new roof stayed where it was supposed. I hate Tornados, although I have only seen the damage from 2. Never heard of them in this area until the past 20 years. Now, we seem to be a Tornado zone! I suppose the adrenaline is carrying you through at the moment. It is me as well, but once I get moved and am able to relax a bit, I know I will CRASH!! That is the life of an FM'er.

Chris - hope all goes well for you. I have pain in both of me feet as well. It darn near kills me when I first get out of bed in the morning. Like walking on nails. Thankfully, it goes away as I get moving, except for my heel, where I do have a heel spur.

Joanne - I have no desire to leave here for weeks or months on end. I LIKE being home. I also like winter, just not the thought of it :lol: Most people from this area go to Arizona and people from Eastern Canada tend to go to Florida. Just wait until the Turk and Cacous Islands become part of Canada. That is where all the Canuks will go - infact many will probably move there - PERMANENTLY. It hasn't happened yet, but they have asked for the 3rd time to become part of Canada.

ccBeautiful - I went and had a look at your profile, after Angel Lover talked about your picture. I thought, where did she see a picture? Anyway, you look very nice.

Well ladies, I don't know about where you live, but FALL is here. The mornings and evenings are cool and the afternoons are beautifully warm. This is my favorite time of year, so I am enjoying every moment of it. I have to go and pack some more. Tomorrow is moving day!!!

http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/hugs3.gif

Joanne D
09-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Where did everybody go? I hope the hurricane didn't knock out your electric Angel..What has happened in N/O is so bad that maybe everybody has just gotten too down. I noticed that our thread has disappeared .
I need more motivation.. My exercise has just about gone. I haven't walked in2 weeks. My O/A has been bad and so has the intestinal problems been acting up. Hope you all feel better than I do...Joanne

chrily
09-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Joanne, I'm here. I haven't seen any new post either but I check every day. I too have lost alot of my motivation. What caused it, I don't know. My feet are still aching. Next week is my doctor's appt. Hopefully we can figure out what to do with me. :)

I started school today. I've been on the computer for the better part of an hour getting my assignments written down so that I can start them. YIKES! My stress level is HIGH. I'll have to figure out a time to do all this so Nicole doesn't feel neglected and I can get done what needs to be done. Wish me luck.

I better be going. Laundry to do and a floor to mop and 4 chapters to read. And alot of homework to do.

~chris

grammie
09-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Hello, I have been watching this board for a while and finally decided to drop a line.

I have had ra for over 30 years, now they tell me it may be gouty arthritis(which I have never heard of) because I have a very high sed rate and uric acid in my blood, but neg on the ra factor. I am a diabetic and have diabetic kidney disease too so I cannot help but wonder if the uric acid is from that. I am very tired of being tired all of the time and no matter how much I sleep I never feel rested and my joints are always aching. I am sure if I lose weight it will be easier on my joints so here I am trying to lose weight again but for me exercise can be a problem. Does anyone out there have similar problems? or suggestions.

Joanne D
09-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Welcome Grammie.. It looks like you have the same amount of weight to lose as I lost. I am 72 and have severe O A. I find exercise hard too because of the pain. I walk. I found that the more I walked the easier it got. And the more weight I lost. I went to Weight Watchers and lost most of the weight and then to TOPS and lost 19 more. I still go to TOPS. They have a good support program. Which is what we all need who have a weight problem. I suggest getting a good physical and then a good weight loss program. South Beach diet is a good one too. Do whatever exercise you do in small doses untill you get stronger and then increase slowly.
Chrily- Are you taking your classes on the computer? My daughter got her masters on the computer. If you can manage your time that should be good for you as you have children.It is a little more expensive but when you count travel expenses it might average out.
Hey Angel. Hope you are well. I walked 2 days in a row to the beach. I was thinking about you while I was walking today..It was pretty hot today though. I got a lecture from my brother about walking in the heat...I gets really hard after awhile walking on the T/M for an hour. I told him I just had to get out of the house..
Have a good weekend everybody...Joanne

Joanne D
09-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Welcome Grammie.. It looks like you have the same amount of weight to lose as I lost. I am 72 and have severe O A. I find exercise hard too because of the pain. I walk. I found that the more I walked the easier it got. And the more weight I lost. I went to Weight Watchers and lost most of the weight and then to TOPS and lost 19 more. I still go to TOPS. They have a good support program. Which is what we all need who have a weight problem. I suggest getting a good physical and then a good weight loss program. South Beach diet is a good one too. Do whatever exercise you do in small doses untill you get stronger and then increase slowly.
Chrily- Are you taking your classes on the computer? My daughter got her masters on the computer. If you can manage your time that should be good for you as you have children.It is a little more expensive but when you count travel expenses it might average out.
Hey Angel. Hope you are well. I walked 2 days in a row to the beach. I was thinking about you while I was walking today..It was pretty hot today though. I got a lecture from my brother about walking in the heat...I gets really hard after awhile walking on the T/M for an hour. I told him I just had to get out of the house..
Have a good weekend everybody...Joanne

ageoldie
09-11-2005, 12:03 AM
Charlotte : Are you okay? What about your daughter? This Katrina situations has really been on my mind.

I haven't been around for a while, I've had a really rough couple of months. I started my new "old" job on Monday July 11. That Saturday I got a call that my mother had gotten sick at work (she worked part time at Kohl's department store) and needed me to come drive her home. She said she was just tired, and because she had been going non stop for the past couple of weeks we didn't think much about it. Sunday at church she said she still didn't feel good, and hearing her talk to someone else she said she had fallen a couple of times. I tried to talk her into letting me take her to the ER, but again she convinced me that she was just tired. The next day Monday 7/18 my sister went by to check on her and found she was still feeling bad and in fact couldn't walk well because her left side was not functioning well. We took her to the ER thinking she may have had a stroke. It turned out that she had 4 tumors in her brain and one of them was pressing on the part of the brain that controlled the movement of her left side. Further testing showed she also had tumors in her right kidney, her thryoid, her lungs and all the lymph nodes in her mid-line chest. The prognosis was about 6 months. They kept her in the hospital until Friday, and she responded really well to the medication they gave her. She came on on Friday, went to my nephew's Eagle scout ceremony on Saturday, out to eat that night, and said she felt fine. The following Wednesday she started radiation treatments on her brain. She had 15 treatments and ended them on a Tuesday. on Wed. we met with the oncologist and he said since she was doing so well, we would start chemo the next week. By doing well, she did not slow down for anything, she continued to do her normal things, go to church go shopping, etc she just was not allowed to drive, and she drove us crazy wanting to do that. The Friday after we were at the doctors on Wed, she went to play games with her friends from chuch and got home about 7:30 that night. The next day I ran into my sister and she was suprised that mom wasn't with me. Se said she had been trying to call her all morning and just assumed I had taken her to the grocery store. About noon, after I finished my errands I tried calling her and couldn't get her, so I went to her house and found her passed out in her chair. She had been there since she got home Friday night, because her half eatten sandwich was in her lap. We got her to the ER and after spending the afternoon there they said she had had a seizure and gave her a large dose of anti-seziure medication and sent us home. I spent the night with her and we had a rough night. Sunday after church my husband went and got dinner and brought over to her house and my sister and her family came to eat. When they got there she was in the middle of what we thought was another siezure, and we ended up back in the ER. This time they kept her. She had at least 2 more seizures while we were in the ER. She finally went to sleep just before she was moved to a regular room. She did not wake up for almost a week, then she was barely awake, and her speech was slurred, but we know she knew us and was trying to communicate with us. We were able to understand her enough to know what she was saying. On Thursday Sept 1, she left us to be with the Lord. Her funeral was last Saturday and this has been the hardest week of my life.

Keep me in your prayers, I don't know if it's the stress, or being over tired, or what but this week my pain from the SjS has been off the charts. I know that I've got to get back on my diet, and get back to exercising, but I can't seem to motivate myself, besides move myself. Then I think about all the people displaced by Katrina. I work for a group of Rheumatologists, and we had a call Friday for a lady from NO who is in Dallas, in pain and out of her meds, and it just really hit how many people are effected by this tragedy in ways we haven't even thought about.

Well, I guess I'm though with this downer post, and hopefully next one will not be as long in comming, and will be lighter!!

B arb.g

Happy Canuk
09-11-2005, 12:18 AM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/siggy2/tim.gif

Barb, how sad you must be. It is sooooo hard to lose our Mom's and Dad's. I hope you will find peace, now that it is over. Sending you soft hugs.

Hello grammie - welcome to our thread. It is very hard to diet, never mind find the energy or the right kind of exercise to do. I don't have RA, but rather OA and FM. It seems to be a lethal combo when it comes to exercise.
Joanne gave you some good advice.

Hi Joanne - good for you, getting back into walking. Hope you are feeling better.

Chris - good luck with your studies. You are doing a home program, are you? That may be easier than going to classes. You can rest when you have to.

Angel - I sure wish you would check in. I hope that you were not affected by that hurricane, or anyone in your family. If you come on, just drop a couple of words to let us know you are ok. We worry, you know :)

i am now all moved in, but the weather has turned to Fall and it has been cold and wet. That = pain. Wish it would clear up, but doesn't look like it anytime soon. It was a rotten summer and now Fall isn't doing much better. I can HARDLY wait to see what winter will offer!!!

ageoldie
09-12-2005, 10:57 PM
Still no word from Charlotte?

Joanne D
09-13-2005, 08:47 PM
Angel must be busy. I hope she is ok.
Ageoldie- I am so sorry to hear about your mother. At least she did not linger for a long time. That is a difficult thing to go through.
Happy- I walked for 50 minutes today and almost made it to the beach when my hubby showed up with a drink and said "thats enough." It was really hot..I was not unhappy to say the least. We will see tomorrow how my ankles feel.
Chrily - How is it going..?I hope you are staying well.I guess Grammie didn't like my response. She hasn't come back.
**** Angel...Joanne

chrily
09-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Barb, I am soo sorry to hear about your mother. My condolances to you and your family. How sad. You've been having a rought year. I'm sending you this ((hug)) and know that I'm thinking about you.

Joanne, how's the weather? We're getting down in temperature now. Fall is coming and then we'll have a chilly winter. Are your feet feeling any better? I went to the doctor today. Mine have been hurting too. The doctor isn't sure if its RA related or not. We're going to try an anti-inflammatory with my methotrexate to see if that helps. If not, then I get to do a prednisone taper. If that doesn't help...we get to rethink my treatment options, which in his mind would be remicade, enbrel, or humira. The only other thing wrong was that my white blood count was below normal. He's going to watch that one, but he's not too worried about it. I just have to do blood work every 2 months now instead of every 3.

Charlotte-I keep typing and deleting and typing. I must be getting tired. Every time I type your name it just doesn't look right to me. I hope your doing okay too. Seems so long since we've heard from you.

Anne-Did you get the packing and moving done yet? I'm sure you're a busy lady too.

Well for all who are interested in my schooling. I am soo busy. There is more to do than I expected. This week has been easier than last week though. I got an A on my first assignment in Intro to Business, and an A on my first assignment in Human Relations. YEAAAhhhh! Hopefully more grades like that to follow.

I better get to bed. I have work tomorrow and then running my fool head off afterwards.

~CHRIS

ageoldie
09-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Each day gets a little easier, but also a little harder, if that makes any sense...It's easier in that I do routine things and keep occupied, but harder when I have to do something that we used to do together for the first time. Like going to the health club. That was our special time together, and even though I know I NEED the exercise it's hard to do without her.

I'm beginning to worry about Charlotte, I even went to her website and left her a message asking her to come in here and check in.

Chris, I'm so glad you did so well on your assignments. Keep up the good work and hopefully it will get easier.

Grammie, are you still with us?

Joanne, Anne and everyone else, have a great day.
http://host.picturewizard.com/2004-11/200396/sept5/CatblackwhiteliterboxBarbaraFelix-vi8.gif

Angel-lover
09-21-2005, 02:59 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/thankyou.gif

I love you all for worrying about me. I've been quite busy. Please forgive me. I didn't know I was worrying you.

The storm hit pretty hard, but, no damage. Also, our daughter came out ok, this time. Our son that lives with us had his appendix to rupture. Not all at once, but a chronic rupture, & he's been in pretty bad shape. His 2 little girls are here every other week, & I had them to take care of also. Then, Bro Jones, at the tv station had a sister to pass away suddenly, so they had to go to Louisianna, & I REALLY had my hands full. After all was almost settled, I had a treatment. :dizzy: All is getting better.........& watching for hurricane Rita, now.

Barbara....I didn't receive your message in my site, for some unknown reason...sorry. Next time, try pm me. :D I DO check my email daily, when possible, because of my kids. I'm sorry I wasn't here for you. I know from experience & losing my FIL in July that you will hurt for a long time. If you need me, please, pm me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/SMBlinkie3.gif

Chrily....glad you didn't give up on me or my name. ;) How's your class going? Have you gotten into it yet? We have 2 people at the tv station taking courses online. They stay pretty busy with it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/hugging.gif

Joanne...it is so nice to be thought of while you were walking on the beach!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/cid_03da01c545bc508f1650b079fea9EVI.gif

Anne...I'm glad you got moved in & settled. Hopefully, you'll start feeling better. Take care of yourself. You use beautiful graphics...I always look forward to them & still have/use the ones you've given me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/hugs_15576.gif

Hello Grammie....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/i41291154_89279.gif
I've heard of gouty arthritis. In fact, when I take my remicade treatments for RA, there are other patients taking the same treatment for gouty (RA) arthritis. I hope you'll stay with us. I'll try to post more often in the future.
It's bad to have health problems, but nice to have friends to vent with. :D

Gotta go.......love you all!!!!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/hurricane-candle.gif

Happy Canuk
09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/lion.jpg

Hello everybody. Hope things are going well.

Charolotte, so glad you checked in! We were hearing about all the bad things that were happening and, of course, when we didn't hear from you, we got worried. I am glad that you and your family are all ok. It seems like one storm after another happening down your way. That would scare me to death.

Chris - Hope your studies are going well. It would take a lot of will power to do what you are doing.

Joanne - Hope you are doing well. I wish you could walk everyday, but every couple is probably ok as well.

Barb - Hope your life has settled down and that things are now running more smoothly. Even after 9 years, I would give ANYTHING to sit down and have a wonderful talk with my mom. I still miss her terribly. My Dad has been gone for almost 32 years - longer than I knew him as I was only 26 when he passed away from cancer.

Fall is here and I am posting a picture of my back yard :lol: Well, it is the ravine connected to my backyard (I live in a condo). Glad I don't have to weed this :lol:

http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/pictures/Fall%20closeup.jpg

Also, getting brave and posting a picture of my hubby and me. I had decided last year to let my hair go gray, as that blond color they had me in, made me look "beige". At least I have more color this way. Hubby and I never wear matching anythings, but it seems our hair now matches :lol:

http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/pictures/Anne%20and%20Hans.jpg
I hope you are all having a good day.

ageoldie
09-24-2005, 09:35 PM
Charlotte, So glad you are alright. I really was worried, especially knowing you had just gotten your roof on your house. Any effects from Rita? We were prepared for lots of it, but we didn't get anything but wind.

Anne, I l oved your pictures, both of them. Your hair looks great grey. What a happy picture.

Barbg

Angel-lover
10-07-2005, 10:40 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/SmileJesusLovesU-teddybear.gif
Hi everyone,

Ann...what a beautiful lady you are! And such a handsome husband! I like your hair color. Also, loved that beautiful back yard pic. Thank you.

Sorry I'm so slowful about posting. Maybe, I'll improve soon. Thanks for the concern, Barb. It's good to have friends who care.

It's really nippy out today....suppose winter's here!

Love you all,
Charlotte
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/ImHangingInThere-HowAboutU.gif

chrily
10-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Anne, I hope I look as good as you when I'm older. And you do have a very handsome man there too. :) Also your "backyard" is gorgeous.

Hi all, sorry I've been missing for so long. It's been so hectic anymore between schoolwork and kids, and getting ready for the winter. My sister ad I have been trying to help my mom out at her house on the weekends. We take turns taking care of eachothers kids during the week while still doing our schoolwork. OHHH....and my mom and sister both got baptized last weekend. Now, Kelly and I are going to do it when they hold the next water baptism. I've never been baptized before.
We had our first big snow storm of the year this week. 7 in. of snow is what they said, but it was a very heavy snow. It knocked out power everywhere. I know it is nothing compared to Louisiana but some places were out of power for a few days. It melted fast though.
I'm doing good so far. I do have to call my doctor back. He put me on a prescription anti-inflammatory to help my feet but it doesn't do much good. So I guess it will have to be the dreaded prednisone taper. I really didn't want to do it because I just started a diet program through the hospital and have lost 5 lbs. so far.
well back to being my mommy self. I have kids running all over the place. Time to reign some of them in. I'll leave Tiana and my niece Savanna at peace...they're raking the leaves up. :D

~chris

Joanne D
10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
This computer is so slow I lose patience and just give up posting. My brother will be here next month. He used to service them for the army. I will get him to look at it. In the meantime I hope youi all are staying well...Joanne

Angel-lover
10-15-2005, 08:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/dachsunds.gif
Hi everybody,
Hope you all are well. Joanne...it may not be your computer. 3fatchicks is very, very slow to navigate, lately. At least, for me. Other places are fine. Hope it gets better. I too, almost give up posting, sometimes, sitting here waiting for pages to load. I don't know what's up with it. Anyway, just wanted to drop in & say hi.
Everyone have a great weekend.
Charlotte
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v185/Angel-Lover/pb_cup_love_ya.gif

kelleen920
10-19-2005, 03:56 AM
Hi there everyone. I am very excited to join this forum. I am 32 years old, I was diagnosed with RA when I was 28. I am currently takeing .7mls of methotrexate & 5 pills/daily of Sulfasalazene & meloxicam (anit-inflamatory). I use to weight 201 pds, my doctor suggested I loose weight so I did, 2 years I have been fluctuating in between 145 & 155 and struggling to hold here. I jog lots and do weight training every other day. I do cardio for sure everyday, at least 30 minutes. I jog on treadmill or run outside 5 km. Most of the time my feet are o.k., sometimes by the time I finish running the 5km I hurt real bad. I do push myself hard and I am refusing to give in to the disease but I do have my days where I like to feel sorry for myself. After I lost all my earlier weight, I finally got my confidence back and applied to become a police officer and have been training now not only to loose weight but to be in shape in hopes to go to police college in January. College is difficult and I have been struggling with the running because my joints in my feet seem to be swelled and stiff and sore all the time. I currently work in dispatch at the police station and no one here knows I have RA - and I am a little worried that when they find out through my medical they won't accept me. With my recent flare ups, now I am not sure if I should be bothering with this venture - it is frustrating. I am trying to loose 12 pds I seemed to gain bit extra back this last 2 months have been pretty sore lately, I realize from reading all of the below posts about how wet weather seems to contribute and it has been rainy here for about 2 weeks - so I have learned something new. Anyone know if those RA diets I have heard about ring true - what to eat & what not? has anyone tried any herbal remedies?

chrily
10-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi there newbie! My name is Chris. I'm 34 and have had RA since I was 28 too. What a way to live, huh? Sounds like your doing very good with your treatment. I'm taking 20 mg of methotrexate a week, and relafin. Right now I'm in the middle of doing a short round of prednisone to get my feet feeling better. They are fairly sore too, not swollen or inflammed, just sore.

I too lost some weight and felt better. I started at 223 and am down to 201. I fluctuated a bit and started going back up so now I'm under the care of a weight loss doctor at the local hospital and am losing again. You get all that extra weight of those joints and it sure makes a difference, huh?

Congratulations on your goals! You're doing great. I'm not sure what to tell you about divulging your RA information. Heck, I work for my dad and I didn't tell him for about 3 years. I only told him when I started getting really sick. I was on sulfasalazine too and it caused some liver toxicity. I was down for a while and then I couldn't be on any meds for almost 2 months until my liver counts returned to normal. I could barely moved and everthing was excruciating. A simple trip to the bathroom took over 10 min, and I was sweating through it all. SO around that time, I couldn't hide it from my dad anymore and had to tell him what was happening. I think I scared him half-to-death.

Welcome! welcome, welcome. I'll check back with everyone later. I really have to get some homework done so I'm not rushing through everything.

~chris

mom2fivesweeties
10-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Hi Everyone! :wave:

I'm Lori and had a diagnosis of OA when I was 35 and just turned 50 in July. This summer my right knee completely went out on me and I was on crutches for a couple of months. I am over 300 pounds and I know I HAVE to get this weight off. I joined LAWL a few weeks ago and have lost 12 pounds. I have so many more pounds to go, but it's a start!

Do any of you ladies have any suggestions on exercises I can do to strengthen my knees? My ortho guy said I have absolutely no cartilage left - well that's no surprise, my poor knees carting this body around for so long!

He just says walk, but I'm so afraid of twisting that knee and getting back to where I was over the summer - it was excruciating pain -

I've been married to Bob for 28 years and we have 5 kids, four of whom are adopted. Mike is 19 and our bio miracle, Abbi and Chelsi are twins from India and they are 9 and AJ and Chris are sibs from Calif. and they are 8 and 7.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Happy Canuk
10-19-2005, 05:29 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/hellopurple.jpg

Welcome Kelleen and Lori. Hope you like our thread and stay around.

Kelleen - you are pretty young to have all this happening, but then I guess chronic pain isn't picky about age. I hope you are able to finish your college classes and move on with your life. I don't think a company is allowed to ask WHAT illness you have, only if you have limitations - so it would be up to you. However, is the type of profession you are planning on entering, you will need physical strength. I can't see doing that job with tons of pain, and in an emergency situation, your body COULD fail you. Just some thoughts. Perhaps there would be something less strenuous for you to become involved in.

Lori - I have OA also, along with FM. Had it for years, but it really flared up about 10 years ago. I had back surgery 22 years ago, and this is the result of it. As for walking, could you get a knee brace and try it? At least you would have some stability as you walked. I don't blame you for being scared to try it. I get that way myself at times. I wish you luck with your weightloss. Is that the LA diet you are on, or, if not, what is it?

Chris - hope your classes are going well and that you are not finding yourself short on energy. Hope the Prednisone helps your feet.

This is me these days, I am afraid. I have to find some willpower somewhere, or is that WON'T power???? :lol:

http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/ShowLetter.gif

mom2fivesweeties
10-19-2005, 06:02 PM
Happy Canuk: Thanks for the welcome! Can I use your Chirp Chirp bird? He is SO CUTE!! :lol: I've never tried knee braces before, believe it or not. I just thought I'd never find any big enough for my knees. But I saw an ad in the Reader's Digest that you actually measure your knee and they make it for your measurement. They haven't come yet, but they cashed my check so it should be any day now. Yes, it's LA Weight Loss. I really like it so far - I have such a long road, but am trying to do one day at a time!

:dance:

Happy Canuk
10-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Lori, feel free to use any graphics I post. Glad you are getting the knee brace. It will give you the stability you need. I think I need to look into that LA weight loss. One will be coming here soon. As you say, one day at a time!

Joanne D
10-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Hey Everybody and Welcome new people...I haven't been here in awhile because by the time I read the posts I lose patience and give it up. My computer has been so slow..
We are watching Wilma this weekend. I had planned to go to N/Fl. but have to put that off till the storm goes by. We are meeting my brother and going with our daughter to a RV camp in Sop Choppy. It is in the panhandle. Real rural.
I am still maintaining my weight loss. It is so hard. It was easier to lose than this..
Hello everybody...Joanne

kelleen920
10-20-2005, 05:13 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice welcome. It is very nice to meet you. One thing that does keep me going is to never give up, even on the painful days and I think this forum is really going to help keep my positivity going. Happy Canuck, you made a very good point that I have been & am in denial about regarding the needing physical strength and my body possibly failing me while on duty. I know right now I would be fine and I am in pretty good shape other than having to loose a small chunk of weight, however, being this disease is progressive I am not sure what the years ahead hold for me and my work would be paying for my college so, that wouldn't be fair either.

Good luck Lori with the walking just maybe start short distances at a time and stop before your knee starts to get sore and gradually work up to 3,4,5,6,7,8 blocks per walk that might help to strengthin it. My Auntie blew her knee out and would practice just bending and straightening it while sitting in a chair, she gradually worked up to adding soup cans on a string for extra weight - that might be something to talk with your docotor with or even go see a Physiotherapist - they would be able to give you some really good & safe excersises.

Joanne, I totally understand the whole maintaining thing feeling more difficult than actually looseing the weight. You feel good, look good so is harder to keep the willpower up so you don't get back into bad habits. Sometimes what I do, I will go to the gym and then go to the mall and try on some neat clothes in my new size and sometimes I buy sometimes I don't but when I see myself in the clothes or see a clothing item that I can picture myself in (actually visualize yourself in it and looking incredible) it gives me back my motivation to want to stay where I am and keep loosing. Good Luck

Chrily, how long were you on sulfasalazene before you developed the liver toxins?

mom2fivesweeties
10-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi Ladies! :wave:

My knee braces came today! :cp: :dance:

WOW! What a difference! They are very heavy-duty, fit well, and I sure can feel the difference! I am really happy with them. I weighed in at LAWL today and lost nearly 3 more pounds for a total of 15 pounds in 30 days! Can't complain about that at all! I'm a happy camper today - AND.......it's only 67 degrees. We had mid-80's for a few days and it was way too hot for this time of year and I was super crabby - I don't do the heat well, but this far into the fall it's just wrong!

KELLEEN: THanks for the suggestions that your aunt did - it seems that 15 years ago when I was diagnosed, the ortho guy told me to hook a purse over the end of my foot and lift that - wish I had listened to him then - maybe my knees would have been stronger over the years -

JOANNE: Good luck with Wilma - I don't know how you gulf people do it - my cousin has a condo on Pensacola Beach which we use every year and it got hit from Ivan and Dennis, I believe - it seems like there have been so many and so intense ones! Here in the midwest we have our share of tornadoes, but they are hit and miss - not as much wide-spread devastation as the hurricanes -

ANN: Thanks for the chickie! I am attaching her on my emails! :lol: I loved the pic of you and hubby - you are such a nice looking couple! And your view! That is gorgeous!!

Hi to everyone else and have a GREAT Friday!

:tread: (walking with my new knee braces!)

Joanne D
10-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey Everybody- We are still waiting for Wilma to make up her mind. She has already ruined my plans for the weekend. It looks like next week now before we can go to our daughters and go camping. The hubby won't go till Wilma is on the other side of the state.. Storms we are pretty used to.The only thing we like about them is the rain.
Stay well..Joanne

kelleen920
10-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Hi there, sounds like everyone is doing well and hanging in there. I still haven't made any decisions about police college yet, I am going to talk to my doctor next month about it 1st and then go from there, I am sure she will give it to me straight up, I am thinking if she says may not be a good idea I might get out of this whole shift work thing, shiftwork is already hard on a body and sitting in front of 3 computers for 12 hrs/day - 2days and 2 graveyards may not be the best thing for my bones. I think I would like to win the lottery and just stay home, hire a personal trainer and just cook healthy, work out, and spend lots of time with my family - oh, and most importantly shop shop shop! I just turned 33 yrs old, and I fell like I am 26! sometimes my bones feel that way too - lol. My hubby and two of my good friends threw me a little surprise party and I did put down a few Smirnoff Ice, and a few vodka cesears, and it took me about 3 days to recover! I quickly realized those days when I was late teens early 20's are long over - especially in the recovery department, but the night was well worth it and that will be my party fix for the next 3 months. My daughter was with my mother for the weekend visiting too, so it was just me & my hubby, and he absolutely adored me! it was the best night ever, and the hangover and bone stiffness was very worth it. Oh, and I kinda blew any chance of holding on to a diet on the weekend, but am back on it today and I bought myself a new pair of jeans - in a smaller size I might add, and that gives me more motivation to get back on the healthy diet train again, I guess falling off is o.k. as long as you get back on. Talk to you ladies later! I love this site!

kelleen920
10-25-2005, 01:27 PM
I forgot my whole point of putting the title of my 1st post "Halloween" now this it is coming shortly and my hubby has about 15 bags of chocolate and candies out, I had to go out and get a small safe, I told him to put all of it in there and keep the combination to himself and my daughter because, I can not be trusted! he thought it was funny but he said he will cooperate as he would like to have them around at least until Nov 1st! ha ha ha. He also hid the safe, that way out of site out of mind - and I like that and need that. You might think that is extreme, but I really can't be trusted with little bite size morsals of chocolate goodness!!! lol.

Now that is it for sure for today.

Take care.

chrily
10-25-2005, 05:12 PM
Just a quick fly by for me. The prednisone didn't really help my feet. Darn it! I think I'll buy some different shoes and see what happens.

My dad went to the doctor the other day and he has OA in his knee. The doctor says he'll need surgery in the near future. He's been hurting pretty bad lately.

My mom is feeling better though. She loves her methotrexate and she is able to do so much more. I'm glad.

Joanne-How's Wilma? I didn't read the whole news article in the paper but I saw some pics. let us know how your doing

Hi Charlotte, Hi Anne, Hi Barb...and Hi all you new gals. I did do another post the other day but it didn't post. Darn stuff.

Okay. I have to go pick Kayla up from school. I need to pack the two little ones up (mine and my sister's) and go... Talk to you all soon.

P/S School is going great! I have A's in all my classes so far. THe hardest class for me so far is my business class. If I can survive that one, I'll feel great!

~chris

Happy Canuk
10-25-2005, 05:53 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/happycanuk/graphicsforrainbowsgals/ATT3443333444333334.gif

Hi everybody.

Chris - so happy to hear that your classes are going good for you. You will do well. I'm sorry that the prednisone didn't help your feet. I have a terrible time in the morning when I first step on my feet. Feels like knives cutting through the feet. I also have a heel spur, but the insert has helped that immensley.

Kelleen - I hope you don't have to see your dream die. Is there something else within law enforcement you COULD do that would be easier on your body? Sounds like you had yourself a little party there. We all have to do things (that's just called living) even though we know we will be in trouble for a few days - however, it's worth it. Now, buying a safe and locking the chocolate in is pretty inventive. Hiding the safe, is even better. They did a trial on out of site out of mind. The took a bowl of Hershey Kisses and left them in plain site on an office desk. People kept eating them, everytime they saw them. Then they put the bowl in a desk drawer, and people just didn't think of them at all - so THERE is proof :lol:

Lori - is your new brace helping you any? I know the one I got helped me out when I was having a knee problem. The thing is, mine was NOT my knee, but the pain came from the disk in the lower back. Still, the brace gave it some stability, and I do have OA in my knees. They sound like a gravel pit!

Angel Lover - hope you are doing well. I don't know how you and Joanne keep up with all these Hurricane warnings. I would run far and FAST :lol:

Well ladies, I am going to start a part-time job on Monday. It will be 4 hrs. per day at the Lab, where you get your blood tests and other stuff done. I will be doing some reception and some data entry. I haven't been able to work since 1996, so I could use some prayers, or at least some good luck. Hopefully, my back will be able to keep up. It is an up and down position, so I figure I will do ok with it, but I am now 59 and I might have slowed down a notch or two :lol: I am just finding myself bored at home, and I have been feeling pretty good, which is why I am bored. I have always worked, except for the past few years. Also, this is a temporary postion - only until June, so I will get a good idea of whether or not working is for me, or if not, I will then be content to lay it to rest and just plain retire. Hopefully working agrees with me. I really miss the social aspect of working.

So that is my news and I hope that you all are feeling good.

I AM GOING TO END THIS THREAD AS IT IS NOW ON PAGE 7 AND START A NEW ONE.

New Thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67402

Joanne D
11-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Hey Everybody- Wilma didn't touch us here in central Fl. I had hardly any rain.. I went to N/Fl. last week and camping with family. No tents for us. R.V. is better. Saw some deer and signs of bear. Deep in the woods. It is so hard for me to get on Fat Chicks lately. Took 10 minutes today..I sometimes give up because of other things to do..I have to get someone to look at this computer..Stay well...Joanne

chrily
11-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Happy Canuk started a new thread...see you there.

GezzaBella72
11-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi all. New to the site. I suffer from lupus, RA and OA. Nice combo! LOL Look forward to getting to know people.