100 lb. Club - FOODS YOU COULDN'T "DIET" WITHOUT

View Full Version : FOODS YOU COULDN'T "DIET" WITHOUT

KIMMIFIER
06-25-2005, 03:47 PM
i hesitate to even call what we're doing a diet because we are all striving for that new way of life and new way of eating to become a permanent change we make. The word diet has come to mean a short term fix type of thing but anyway, that said...
I thought it might be fun to share with each other the foods we just couldn't diet without. Like I know, I eat lettuce and chicken :chicken: almost every day but if someone said you can no longer have them on your new way of eating I would care less. Had enough of them already! But here are the foods I so enjoy and could not do without so thank goodness I can still eat them.

Cheese (in moderation of course) :cheese:
Strawberries mmmmm
ground beef
eggs
and last but certainly not least GUACAMOLE!!! yum!! :hungry:

I would love to know what everyone else enjoys eating. Maybe even get some new ideas. Also, if you could just mentioned what type of plan you follow. For example I do a plan that of low carb, low saturated fat, high protein.

Can't wait to see lots of replies!

Kim

girl least likely to
06-25-2005, 05:02 PM
Ooooh, Whole Foods low fat guacamole is fantastic. I think I'll go get some later today! :)

Hmm, what else? Fruits, definitely. Especially oranges, mandarin oranges, apple-pears and plums. Those 100-calorie Nabisco Snack Packs. I like the Oreo ones, that's usually my 'treat' for the day. Quaker Oatmeal Breakfast bars. English muffins, smoked turkey, Kraft non-fat cheese slices. Salad veggies and Follow Your Heart's low fat ranch dressing. That stuff is a godsend. The best low fat ranch I've ever tasted and only 25 calories/1.5 grams of fat per serving.

Oh, and sushi. I loooove me some sushi.

As for my diet plan, just your basic low fat/low cal. Around 1200-1300 calories a day (I'm 5'2 so that's plenty for me!) plus exercise.

kykaree
06-25-2005, 06:16 PM
My plan is low GI, lots of fruit and veggies, good carbs, careful with the fat, with an eye on the calories, keeping to around 1500 per day. I do quite a lot of exercise at the moment, swimming 5 days a week and gym 6, and a bit of walking in between.

I could not live without
blueberries
apples
cottage cheese
oatmeal
red kidney beans
brown rice and red camargue rice
70% cocoa chocolate
honey (in moderation on the oatmeal)
hoummous
red and yellow peppers

(that all looks scarily healthy - apart from the chocolate LOL)

cecilyisworking
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
I like your new fishie Kykaree! ;)

For me it's high-fiber cereal, blueberries, honey whole wheat pretzels, and black beans. I could eat just that all day and not feel like I was missing anything. Hmmm, looking at my list, it's a lot of carbohydrates. I love carbs! But I do mix them with liberallly with protein and veggies and limit make sure I don't get carried away.

I'm watching overall calories, and watching portions (love my food scale!)

DishyFishy
06-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Hmm... that's a toughie--I love so many things. :)

I'm not overly struck on any of the LC and FF dressings I've tried, so I was pleased to discover Salad Sensations (http://www.trophyfoods.com/products.asp?search=sensations&CategoryId=-1). They really pep up boring lettuce leaves and naked coleslaw. I'm counting kcals (1500-1600 per day), and these all come in between 40 and 50 per tablespoon. I like them all, :T but my favourite has to be the tomato & basil sliced almonds. They also go great in a sandwich with chicken and provide a nice contrasting texture.

Whole wheat couscous is also a biggie for me. I call it The Ultimate Fast Food because it takes minutes to prepare and can be so easily customised to taste different every time.

And then there's Del Monte frozen fruit and yogurt bars. FF and LF respectively, they come in at 50 kcals a pop. Smashing on those occasions I feel like something sweet.

tchrnow
06-26-2005, 11:59 PM
I'm following the diabetic exchange diet. I'm eating 1500 calories daily (ok, give or usually take....).

I love all fruits, broccoli (steamed), rice with some fresh vegis and chix stock (it tastes rich, it's lowfat and filling), 1/2 turkey sandwiches, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal with a little brown sugar (tastes like oatmeal cookies), "I can't believe it's not butter" spray--0 CALORIES!!!! and butter taste, fresh tomatoes and cukes, pickles--dill and sweet, Olives when I'm needing a salty fix ( you have to limit though), jello pudding pops--90 calories and creamy, chocolatey, and smooth....yum.

Lynne

Sea
06-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Onions, mushrooms, salsa, and Pam (or equivalent) spray.
Also, strangely enough, these days I'd feel lost without fat-free yogurt! I always hated it before; now I can't go a day without it. Yoplait light is smoother than other brands I've tried. I especially like the blackberry.

Charbar
06-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Here's my list:

salsa
pretzels
FF yogurt
heart to heart cereal
water!
laughing cow cheese

- the list goes on...
I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

Br00klyn
06-28-2005, 12:23 AM
Great Thread!

- York Peppermint Patties
- Fruit
- Pretzels or Crispy Mini's
- Rice
- Yogurt
- Skinny Cow Ice Cream
- Popcorn (Ultra Light of Course)

And, Subway...

I'm sure there are tons more too...

lessofsarahtolove
06-28-2005, 12:31 AM
Hmmm, I'll have to give this more thought, so I reserve the right to return here to add more.....but here are these to start:

* Tilapia (I freaking live on this stuff!)
* Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (Ok, I live on this too)
* Leafy greens (I eat truly enormous, extremely filling salads with absolutely no guilt)
* Nonfat plain yogurt
* Frozen blueberries
* Frozen asparagus
* Reduced fat feta
* Light 'n Lively lowfat cottage cheese (those single servings in the 4-packs)
* Lemon juice
* Balsamic vinegar
* Brown rice
* Albacore tuna in those pouches (love them!)
* My no carb/no sugar/no salt protein powder (22g/serving, @ only 100 calories!)

These are staples. As in I eat some quantity or other of most of them every day staples!

lessofsarahtolove
06-28-2005, 12:35 AM
Oops!! Forgot some A.M. biggies:

* All Bran Extra Fiber cereal
* Kashi Go Lean cereal
* Skim milk

1/2 a cup of each with some skim milk, the protein powder in water and an additional 22 oz. water is my on-plan breakfast every weekday morning -- and usually one weekend morning too!

Br00klyn
06-28-2005, 12:36 AM
Sarah - Whats tilapia?

Oh, and I just discovered another one.. Howie, I think it was you that mentioned celery with low-fat cream cheese before?! I'm munching on it right now for the first time and its really satisfying! :) Thanks for the great tip!

lessofsarahtolove
06-28-2005, 12:41 AM
Tilapia is a wonderful firm white fish -- it has a mild, almost sweet flavor and easily adapts to the flavors that you cook it with. It's got virtually no fat, and it's very high in protein!

I'd like to say also that I usually eat salmon at least once a week (unless we've paid too many bills at once! :lol: ) It's awesome for healthy fish oils, Omega 3 and I just plain love it -- but it's not an every day "lifesaver."

You really should see if you can find the tilapia -- it's SO low calorie and high protein, it buys you a good bit of flexibility with the rest of your day, you know?

Br00klyn
06-28-2005, 12:51 AM
Unfortunately, i'm allergic (severely) to all fish and seafood! Oh, the irony, especially since I'm from Newfoundland?!

It kind of limits variety of what I can eat... :(

lessofsarahtolove
06-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Well, then I'm thinking :chicken: is just about your best friend! Another quick option if you've got to just get in some protein easily is protein powder. I get very good quality powder from a bodybuilding site, and I'm very happy with it.

Sad about your allergy though! :(

famograham
06-28-2005, 01:18 AM
Sarah, maybe you can help me out then...with your passion for Tilapia.

I've tried it once and liked it just fine...but would like some ideas for preparation.
It comes whole at my local Real Canadian Superstore...and is CHEAP...like 3 bucks (canadian) for two whole frozen fish (boy...are the pokey!).

Got any good recipes or prep ideas for the whole fish?

Thanks,
xoxoxox
Linda

lessofsarahtolove
06-28-2005, 02:17 AM
Oh good lord, no! Clueless am I on that. I'd know how to debone and filet it, but I just never cook fish whole. I'd imagine if you oiled the outside, cut it down the middle, and put some good stuff inside and took a few stitches with a kitchen needle to keep it closed, then baked it, you'd be on the road to goodness! Maybe some lemon and lime slices, some fresh cilantro, some chopped chipotle peppers, rough chopped tomatoes, a little chopped red bell pepper, a tiny bit of sea salt (or regular salt is fine) and a little olive oil to bond it all -- spread that inside, along the length of the fish, and if you grill it or bake it all the flavors and aromas would go through the fish! Just get creative with it!

I'm just not really a whole fish kinda girl -- something about it staring back up at me from the plate. :eek: $3 is AMAZING, though!!! It would be worth it for you to pursue this further, if you're ok with it being whole and having to deal with the bones. Or maybe get some guidance on how to filet it? :dunno: I definitely couldn't teach you that online or I would!

taekwondomom
06-28-2005, 03:36 AM
I would have to say the foods I find most helpful are my salad fixings, vegetables, calorie/carb/sugar/fat-free syrups and salad dressings (made by Walden Farms). Not to mention my Natural Oven bread, whole wheat tortillas, tuna and fat-free cheese.

alphabetsoup
06-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Famograham ~ You could try stuffing it with lemon and herbs (just like Sarah suggested) - salting it, some olive oil and wrapping it in a foil packet to bake in the oven. I bet that would be delish! We don't get Tilapia here often - we eat a lot of cod though, which is similiar - I love it, it's one of my favorite types of fish.

I couldn't live without:

mushrooms
water
diet vanilla pepsi
Kashi cereal (I *just* tried this - it's incredible!)
cod
boneless skinless chicken
cheese
sunflower seeds

KIMMIFIER
06-29-2005, 07:56 AM
OK, got to get me some of this "Kashi" today. Too many mentions of it on this board. I see the tilapi all the time here but I don't do fish. Often wondered though if I should get it for the hubby and dd. They love fish. Will get some of that too. Also, add mushrooms and onions to my list. cook with them every day probably. Love sauteed mushrooms and onions!
Kim

Jillegal
06-29-2005, 09:22 AM
Here's mine!

- Kashi Go Lean (we have a definite lack of Kashi items up here) :mad:
- Spinach (hate it cooked, but eat huge bowlfuls as a salad base)
- Chicken breasts (main course mainstay)
- Salmon steaks (grilled with lemon juice & fresh ground pepper mmmm)
- Fat free sugar free yogurt (Astro, generally)
- Weight Watchers 60% whole wheat bread (2 slices for 1 point!)
- Beans (love them for the taste, the fibre and the versatility)
- Tuna (in salads, open-faced sandwiches and casseroles)
- Watermelon (this is my "candy")

Of course there's more "favourites", but these are the ones I couldn't live without. Just noticed that I hit all the major food groups (protein, grains, dairy, fruits & veg) :D

howie6267
06-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Tortillas
Raw spinach
Spicy Tuna in that handy new pouch. This is great on the road or for a picnic.
Kashi w/frozen blueberries and skim milk

I have lots of other food I love but these are the ones that come to mind first.

alphabetsoup
06-30-2005, 03:46 AM
Oh, frozen blueberries! Good idea! Mmmmm - how long until breakfast? ;)

I forgot to mention:

Salmon
Shrimp

musicalchick
02-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Yogurt low fat, and blueberries.

Mozzy
02-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Tuna, salmon, chicken

Oatmeal and bananas

100 cal snack packs

Lishar
02-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Fat free greek yogurt (I eat it every day for breakfast)
Frozen blueberries (with my yogurt)
Tilapia (so easy to make and quick)
Chicken breast
Quinoa
Spinach
albacore Tuna
Protein powder
String cheese
blue bunnny frozen yogurt Bordeaux cherry chocolate(yummy)

I make Tilapia about 3-4 times a week. So easy just bake/broil it at 450 for 12 min. I get the individual fillet packs (4oz) at costco. I sometimes maranade it or just pour over and bake. I have used italian dressing, Mayo/paramsean mix, or any other maranade you choose. 12 min and its done. I serve with quinoa, rice or sometimes pasta. So easy and quick. Even frozen the fillets defrost quickly. Its my go to fast dinner. My kids even love it.

merilung
02-17-2013, 02:44 PM
- grassfed ground beef
- pastured bacon
- almond meal
- frozen berries
- full fat greek yoghurt
- organic girl super greens (I feel a little doofy buying greens in a big plastic clamshell instead of cutting up bunches of them myself, but I'd still be very sad to see them go!)
- unsweetened coconut flakes

epicskyline
02-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Chicken breasts
Greek yogurt
Raw spinach
Bananas
Broccoli
Whole Wheat Oatmeal w/ brown sugar and unsweetened cocoa
Green Peppers
Fat free milk
Rice Krispies
Salsa
Splenda
COFFEE

monmis12
02-18-2013, 09:05 AM
eggs for egg white omelet and for light egg salad
frozen spinach for omelet
salsa
non fat plain greek yogurt
oatmeal
frozen mixed berries
PB2
Fiber One Cereal
Light Vanilla soy milk(unsweetened, 35 calories per cup)
almonds
Cheese(full fat, specialty cheese very carefully measured using a scale)

Pink Hurricane
02-18-2013, 10:55 AM
*Cheese
*Greek Yogurt
*Broccoli
*Many fruits and veggies in general
*Skim milk
*Chicken

synger
02-18-2013, 11:00 AM
I eat lower-carb and fairly low calories, so my go-to staples tend to be protein- or fat-rich small portions that fill me up or at least give me some good fat to take the edge off hunger:

eggs (some always hard-cooked, sometimes "scotch eggs" already made up for breakfast)
cottage cheese, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese (sometimes brie for a treat)
already-cooked meat (we cook up a roast on the weekend, and I can snag a slice or a leg for a meal)
frozen veggies (always have cauliflower, broccoli, turnips, and spinach in the freezer)
salad stuff (lettuce, celery, radish, carrot)
bone broth (I keep all my bones in the freezer until I need to make a batch)
miso paste (to add to bone broth for the soup I take to work)
herring in sour cream (packs a punch of flavor and Omega-3s for just a mouthful)
sardines/kippers/tuna (go-to high-protein packs for fish salad to eat with celery or pork rinds)
nuts and nut butters
heavy cream (a tablespoon in a diet A&W root beer is like an ice cream float for only about 50 calories, and the cream satisfies my craving for something "rich" )

zoritsa
02-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Apples
35 calorie wheat bread
balsamic vinegar (use it and it alone on my salads,yum!)
stevia
And while this one isn't the healthiest,I love my cheddar rice cakes and caramel rice cakes.When I just have to have something sweet or salty,these help tremendously!

April Snow
02-18-2013, 12:07 PM
I add some other stuff for variety, but these are my staples

oat bran
cinnamon
eggs
boneless chicken thigh cutlets
homemade chicken soup
salmon burgers
greek yogurt
cucumber
broccoli
cauliflower
eggplant

coffeebean267
02-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Fiber One brownies! Basically Fiber One anything...

AlmostMe
02-18-2013, 01:12 PM
I'm doing intuitive eating, so nothing is off the menu. My 'special' essential item is a crockpot so I can make tasty soups and stews. But...

quinoa - to thicken my stews
packaged sofrito - chopped carrots, onions and celery an essential for any stew, but I hate chopping onions.
tinned beans - you may be catching on that I'm a bit lazy in the kitchen :-)
eggs
Finncrisps
frozen shrimp
pork shoulder - so cheap and so good slow cooked
my array of herbs and spices that makes my cooking taste so good

BeachBreeze2010
02-18-2013, 04:48 PM
My plan is 95% vegan, non-processed foods, so my list is a little different from most of yours:

jalapeno peppers - I love spicy food!
avocado
black beans
my morning juice - an apple, orange, cucumber, baby carrots and one other rotating fruit - berries or kiwi or specialty item
whole grain bread and krema nut butter with orange honey...mmm...

traci in training
02-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Yoplait very vanilla yogurt. peanut butter. Life cereal. Strawberries. Shrimp. String cheese. Roasted veggies. Skim milk. Tomatoes. Onions. Tilapia. Turkey Italian sausage.

Flower Child
02-20-2013, 10:15 PM
Nuts, oatmeal, low-fat string cheese, vegetable soup, and cottage cheese are the foods I couldn't live without while dieting.